Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,081 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:47 AM

Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think (33989 Views)

Ben Bruce Flaunts His Made-In-Aba Shoes, Says They're As Good As Italian Shoes / Federal Government Is Not Treating Igbo People Right - Yerima / Democracy Or Which System Of Government Is Practice In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 11:23am On Jan 02, 2014
mekula:

He has the opportunity to build new cities in areas that could still be planned but he is more interested in tolling the masses. There are areas like ajah-badore up to sangotedo/ibeju lekki/epe on one hand, Ijegun, Igando, isheri, bucknor axis up to Iba on the other hand. Areas like ijegun in sattelite town up till okokomaiko still have possibilities of some measure of planning, even agbara. They had the opportunity to plan areas like Egbeda and ipaja even up till a few years ago, but that didnt suffice. Lagos city center is congested and that is why private concerns are moving to the outskirts like Alimosho and ajah-sangotedo axis. But without government intervention in these city plans, they are only gonna end up as few small organised estates surrounded by slums. Building any major road in these areas(if they eventually decide to do so) takes the govt upwards of 5 years because there isnt any toll on them.

Gbam ! Especially the bolded. In fact that is what Lagos is, and that's MORE of what's happening. Estates surrounded by slums. There is Ajah not far off VGC. There is the whole Agege houses and quasi-shanties around estates like Dairy Farm and Ijaiye LOW-COST housing estate (in fact, many middle class folks stay there now), you've even mentioned others. I can imagine how Ayobo is like, some parts of the place are near the Ikeja airport area, another well-planned place in the state.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by whitecat007: 11:24am On Jan 02, 2014
You can't say you are succeful when there is no proof. Lets see what forbes say. How many firsts do ibos have(not even one) compared to Yoruba atleast ten. So where do we start the comparison. All outstanding Nigerians abroad in 2013 are Yoruba. The only glory you brought to Nigeria is robbing and getting beating and hanged all over the world, save for your contribution to soccer. You suck and you know it.

Decryptor: yaribas made ibos what they are today? This is the biggest joke i have ever heard in my entire life! grin If a man makes another man successful and he is not successful himself, then that man is cursed! So which means your tribe must be cursed. Just reacting based on your own theory.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by ketoprofen(m): 11:27am On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

The day people not ancestral to Lagos leave is the day poeoke will say 'ekö a baje telé'.

uyi iredia, tell them.
Every Lagos non indigene shd leave Lagos, let only real Lagos indigenes enjoy their land flowing with milk and honey, and pay their taxes alone.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 11:27am On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

The day people not ancestral to Lagos leave is the day poeoke will say 'ekö a baje telé'.

That's just pure nonsense. If you don't like something or a place that's trying to do its best possible to conserve some of the green parts within the metropolis - all you can do is leave the place, isn't it?

Why do you lot have a problem with Eko Atlantic? They reclaimed the ocean? - so what? That's normal practice everywhere. Canary Wharf is the same. Manhattan is the same. Dubai is the same. There are tons of places across the globe that are the same. Why the fixation on Lagos?
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by rozayx5(m): 11:28am On Jan 02, 2014
farolee:

Think B4 you talk, what is the polulation of Uyo ?

what is the monthly IGR of Lagos and where does it go?
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by rckdude: 11:33am On Jan 02, 2014
me_for_you: told? My guy go to calabar and see. Lagos na wash, calabar is the place to be. so clean and beautiful. One clown said lagos is comparable to London, then calabar is comparable to heaven.

Lagos na wash but una no won comot? Calabar is clean but how conducive is it for commercial activities. Besides can you compare its cleaners to any SE states?
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 11:34am On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

@ bold: Even tithe make sense pass tax because, at least, you feel good honoring God. But tax undecided For what ? A govt. yet to pave my street despite calls. In fact, it can't pave my street and they (esp LG people) are looking for ways to extort from shops, factories and if possible landlords too. How can I pay tax to a wasteful system of governance, and one that ultimately doesn't need my money. They be all comfy in the millions they get monthly, even the tens of million for getting severed ! sad SMH talk about rewarding pedestrian work.

Besides read on odious debt. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odious_debt I need not pay for debts the FG has incurred by not helping this state such as squandering $16bn on power under OBJ. And the taxes ain't small BTW. They aren't even realistic. You pay to state and LG. All business pay 10k to register and 5k year and a development levy of #100. Then a tax of 7% on your salary, technically even a student's pocket money can be taxed. If that isn't stupid, for a tax I can't make sure pays tell me what is. And BTW I get pissed off when I see 'Your tax at work signs' where a 'World Bank assisted project' board will later be raised. WTF do they take folks for ?

A country with citizens who are not ready to pay taxes shouldn't expect any development (especially interms of infrastructures). So you can continue to get free stuffs and wallow in underdevelopment smiley smiley smiley smiley. You can't eat your cake and have it!

If we have a proper governance structure today, No Nigerian will be able to escape all I listed earlier. The same way, It won't be an easy task for any Leader to embezzle money again.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 11:34am On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

Based on its IGR vis-a-vis its population, I believe only a few people pay taxes.

True. I don't. I sent to the LIRS office Sept. last year, made enquiries and haven't been there since.

shymexx:
How many people can afford anything there? You can't tax people who live hand to mouth except you want them to die.

True.

shymexx:
So basically I don't think most of the people have a right to complain about the state government.

Profoundly wrong. For one govt. isn't God. They are people like you and me in a position to make a difference. BTW every landlord pays LUC. If there is very good governance or the beginning of transparency and accountability I will have less qualms paying taxes. Citizens have the right to negotiate how govt. uses their tax (which is huge BTW), we can't because of the relative lack of accountability. It is thinking like this that makes people applaud privitazation and presumably increased PHCN bills when $16bn vamoose under OBJ's govt. The French revolution started on waste way less than that, even the susbidy removal palaver.

shymexx: The FG is to blame for not letting the wealth trickle down to the bottom.

Sure FG. But the SG are part of what is to ensure wealth trickles down. In some respects they have, in many others they haven't.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by whitecat007: 11:35am On Jan 02, 2014
Hey sugar pack! How is iya charlie?

These biatches are crazy, I tell you. You will find yourself going in circle trying to make them see that nothing revolves around them except their imagination.
shymexx:

You're dumb! Where am I right now - fool?

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by bombay: 11:37am On Jan 02, 2014
fashola is tinubu's bitch both gay buddies shocked
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by whitecat007: 11:39am On Jan 02, 2014
Got to go jor!

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by GentleMimi: 11:44am On Jan 02, 2014
whitecat007: And who is going to make me shut up? Hey I said that and what are you going to do about it? What about he lends it to you first since you ate yours in your mother's womb. You need it more.
Hahahaha! Display ur vagabond nature...i love ur ignorance,its epic! You resort to name calling when u have nothing intelligent to say. Anyway,its obvious u were no brought up properly,cos if u were,u'll know how to hv an argument with intelligence and not insults. I will not stoop to ur low gutter level by insulting ur own mother(even though i fell sorry for her).Goodbye. I have other intelligent posters to talk to,not u.Tell me when u've grown a brain.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 11:44am On Jan 02, 2014
speedyboi:

A country with citizens who are not ready to pay taxes shouldn't expect any development (especially interms of infrastructures).

True. But a govt. that steals and waste resources owned by its people has no moral right to ask for my tax. Scratch my back I scratch yours. LUC I pay nko. For what. For borehole and well my Dad dug. Drainage my Dad but and his money maintains. Sewage he built and the house money maintains. These are things oyibos govt. take for granted (ie it is expected the govt does such). For Christ sakes we even use our money or efforts to keep the road manageable.

speedyboi:
So you can continue to get free stuffs and wallow in underdevelopment smiley smiley smiley smiley. You can't eat your cake and have it!

Who chop pass. Doesn't BRF still chop and clean moth on #1billiin security vote (or have they stopped it) ? Same applies to govt. they use oil money, ask and extort from business and shop owners for what ?

speedyboi:
If we have a proper governance structure today, No Nigerian will be able to escape all I listed earlier. The same way, It won't be an easy task for any Leader to embezzle money again.

Good. When that govt. comes I will comply the best I can, in fact, I do that now. Just don't ask for my tax to build skyscrapers when common gutter dem never clean.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 11:47am On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:
True. I don't. I sent to the LIRS office Sept. last year, made enquiries and haven't been there since.

True.

Profoundly wrong. For one govt. isn't God. They are people like you and me in a position to make a difference. BTW every landlord pays LUC. If there is very good governance or the beginning of transparency and accountability I will have less qualms paying taxes. Citizens have the right to negotiate how govt. uses their tax (which is huge BTW), we can't because of the relative lack of accountability. It is thinking like this that makes people applaud privitazation and presumably increased PHCN bills when $16bn vamoose under OBJ's govt. The French revolution started on waste way less than that, even the susbidy removal palaver.

Sure FG. But the SG are part of what is to ensure wealth trickles down. In some respects they have, in many others they haven't.

The crux of the matter is that everyone wants the Lagos state government to perform a miracle and turn Lagos into London despite being half the size of London and three times the population? However, where is the money going to come from? How many people earn £1500 equivalent to naira in Lagos. I doubt all the clowns who run their mouths on nairaland about working in banks and oil companies even earn that much - and that's what a normal sales assistant in a supermarket earns in London. So you would agree with me that over 90% of Lagosians are poor. And the few that pay taxes only pay meagre money that won't be able to do anything. I guess that's why you lot are getting the substandard quality you're getting. The state can't afford world-class infrastructures.

The trickling down of wealth is majorly the job of the FG and Lagos for all its population and what it contributes to the national purse, it doesn't get that much back in return. Evidently, there's little the state government can do about that - it isn't responsible for all Nigerians. That's the job of the FG.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by bombay: 11:49am On Jan 02, 2014
Fashola is tinubu bum boy gay buddies
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 11:49am On Jan 02, 2014
whitecat007: Hey sugar pack! How is iya charlie?

These biatches are crazy, I tell you. You will find yourself going in circle trying to make them see that nothing revolves around them except their imagination.

Lmao. The old woman is looking after her grandson - the future king. Got her in pinky right now and she's smiling at me. wink
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by juman(m): 11:56am On Jan 02, 2014
Yeah. Some students sit on floor and windows in the class.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 11:56am On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

That's just pure nonsense. If you don't like something or a place that's trying to do its best possible to conserve some of the green parts within the metropolis - all you can do is leave the place, isn't it?

You don't need to reclaim land to conserve greenery. That is easily done by legislating a park in an opennspace for that purpose. Luckily, many houses in Lagos are built on arable land. Take a part, get gardeners to grow abd tend it: and you have your very own Central Park in the city. The one at Ikeja seceteriat is small.

shymexx:
Why do you lot have a problem with Eko Atlantic? They reclaimed the ocean? - so what? That's normal practice everywhere.

Not everywhere. Mostly in developed countries with the local skill and usually because they havd very little land or are below sea level, in Japan their many earthquakes is a good reason. Nature has been kind here, that project wasn't necessary. The problem I have with it is it is an important project. It isn't necessary (like goods roads or better housing, even better drainages around Ikoyi and the likes will be more sensible, many of them are in bad shape) and it certainly isn't urgent. It's a white-elephant project, please admit that.

shymexx:
Canary Wharf is the same. Manhattan is the same. Dubai is the same. There are tons of places across the globe that are the same. Why the fixation on Lagos?

Dubai's case as I know is diff. First they are part of a UAE govt that has spent oil money very well on its citizens. It already has the basics esp in terms of wealth distribution amongst its citizens (not the migrant workers they treat like $hit). Those islabd are very obviously capital-intensive LUXURY projects geared at making them a tourism hub for high class folks when their oil wealth fails. Their govt. Has good share in a well-run etisalat. In fact, your comoarison here is a mistake.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by lukaino(m): 11:59am On Jan 02, 2014
Everyone(regardless of our many disagreements) seem to agree that Lagos state govt under Fashola is largely ELITIST by nature & character.
One would have expected this government to be largely on the side of the common PEOPLE who form a vast majority of the electorates who
called bluff of the elements to exercise their franchise to bring them into office.

There are very many undeveloped towns surrounding the city which are highly populated and lack basic amenities especially roads. Many of these communities only see tarred roads when they go to the city centres; many are cut off from other communities due to lack of roads & bridges.
Many have resorted to making wooden link bridges to help themselves, all these happening under the watch of a performing governor. Visit Ayobo, Abule- Odu, Olorunishola, Igesu & see for yourselves. Ayobo only has one tarred(dilapidated) road which is still under construction. Take a branch off that one road(even when completed) and drive another hour or two on bad major roads within the community.

On housing, the Jakande/ Shagari low cost housing example is still the most realistic for low income earners. Visit the Shagari Low cost estate at Moshalashi Iyana Ipaja to appreciate what we are talking about.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jan 02, 2014
he doesn't have a clue about what a mega city looks like.. smh...
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by benardtotti(m): 12:11pm On Jan 02, 2014
EmmyDe25: @OP, how about forwarding this letter to Alausa ? as far as i am concerned coming on here to highlight some of the inadequacies of the BRF's administration is sure a waste of your precious time.

P.S: It really beats me seeing people hating on this guy. Fashola is unarguably a performer and stands head tall with the best governors in Nigeria (thats if we have any). He's infact the best in Nigeria as far as i am concerned. He is a top notch idealist, a great thinker and a maverick.
He's the type that we need at the Centre, not some clueless, dunce guy who couldnt govern a state with the least number of Local Governments talk more of governing a federation.
I guess most of you criticising Fashola's administration dont know how hard it is to govern a state as densely populated as Lagos...
talk of the expectation, the demands, doing things in line with what majority of the people want and et al.
One thing the OP should know is that a governor is not bound to touch everything that needs to be touched in a state.... what matters is you doing the needful by making sure that atleast after the completion of your term, a few things could still be looked back on and be seen as some of the laudable achievements of your administration.
And so far so good, Fashola can hold his head high in this regard. In fact, if i'm to rate his term in office so far; i'll give him 78%.
I agree with you,fashola is a technocrat and a thinker,I remember how lagos was in 1998 when I moved in from ibadan,I can tell you that things hve really changed,law and order is getting better,people are beginning to leave lawlessness behind,one thing people don't know is that the intent of a leader sets the tone for how his/her leadership will look like,when fashola became govrnor,even though he wasn't really lagosians first choice he showed intent to mmake things better,people readily acceptd his ideology,that's why even tho an average lagosian knows there is looting they even make xcuses for his administration,that's where GEJ missed it,when Gej came in first thing he was intersted in was running a bill to NASS for a 6 year tenure(good idea,but wrong timing) then followed the subsidy saga,he lost many nigerians at that point cos they could not relate to his ideology,a good leader must be able to make d masses know his intent from the start of his tenure,I keep asking people who argue with me about leadership ,I ask them about Adolf Hitler,my question is Why were germans willing to go to war,kill and die for him? Why? No one has ever given me a satisfactory answer,maybe Nl will gimme one today.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:
You don't need to reclaim land to conserve greenery. That is easily done by legislating a park in an opennspace for that purpose. Luckily, many houses in Lagos are built on arable land. Take a part, get gardeners to grow abd tend it: and you have your very own Central Park in the city. The one at Ikeja seceteriat is small.

Not everywhere. Mostly in developed countries with the local skill and usually because they havd very little land or are below sea level, in Japan their many earthquakes is a good reason. Nature has been kind here, that project wasn't necessary. The problem I have with it is it is an important project. It isn't necessary (like goods roads or better housing, even better drainages around Ikoyi and the likes will be more sensible, many of them are in bad shape) and it certainly isn't urgent. It's a white-elephant project, please admit that.

Dubai's case as I know is diff. First they are part of a UAE govt that has spent oil money very well on its citizens. It already has the basics esp in terms of wealth distribution amongst its citizens (not the migrant workers they treat like $hit). Those islabd are very obviously capital-intensive LUXURY projects geared at making them a tourism hub for high class folks when their oil wealth fails. Their govt. Has good share in a well-run etisalat. In fact, your comoarison here is a mistake.

Firstly, how can you conserve greenery by turning everywhere into business/commercial centres? A park isn't a natural conservatory, same for gardens. You need natural places where people can relax and take a break from the hustle and bustle of the main city. Also, you can't compare residential houses to a massive business district.

Secondly, Lagos also has a little land mass. The place is just 996km² with over 20 million people, hence the need to keep everything within a particular axis. New York doesn't have land problems, yet part of Manhattan was reclaimed. Qatar is doing the same thing with Lusail. Disneyland in California is also the same, despite the huge lands in California. London is also trying to build a new floating airport in the Thames Estuary, just to conserve green lands. And how is it a white-elephant project when the whole place has already been bought? Moreover, it's a private sector initiative, with a percentage for the Lagos state government - so I don't see what the fuss is about, to be honest.

Lastly, you just referenced the UAE government spending its oil money on its people - something the FG in Nigeria is allergic to, yet you want to blame the Lagos state government for the woes of Nigeria and why over 90% of the people are poor. You're now contradicting yourself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 12:19pm On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

The crux of the matter is that everyone wants the Lagos state government to perform a miracle

People sometimes make it seem Fashola has done one. Actually I think BRT is one, Oshodi as another one. But these are flashes of brilliance. For miracles, look at Brazil, Singapore, Malaysia (very recent, for decades back they were in our position now we import rice from there). Their govts. focused on basics before doing fancy projects. The latter doesn't come before the former, in fact, it's best you don't do it side-by-side as BRF does.

shymexx:
and turn Lagos into London despite being half the size of London and three times the population?

Not expecting that. I said it will take 50 yrs for Fashola (at his rate) to turn Lagos around to something decent all-round. I mean that. It's a guesstimate.

shymexx:
However, where is the money going to come from?

Oil money funds Lagos via the FG like other states. Many multinationals and important companies have their headquarters here. Not to mention small-scale businesses. Guy even the IG revenue with them is huge (it was stated on the board it was one of the highest) and that is despite their inefficiency in that regard esp. With regard to PAYE's, dev. levy of LIRS.

shymexx:
How many people earn £1500 equivalent to naira in Lagos.

Many. Though small in proportion to the entire population. I assume.

shymexx:
I doubt all the clowns who run their mouths on nairaland about working in banks and oil companies even earn that much - and that's what a normal sales assistant in a supermarket earns in London. So you would agree with me that over 90% of Lagosians are poor.

This your estimation na wash. Over 90% ARE NOT poor. IOW the percentage of poor isn't that huge, I disagree. We HAVE a gairly large (if not very large) middle class, that I know.

shymexx:
And the few that pay taxes only pay meagre money that won't be able to do anything. I guess that's why you lot are getting the substandard quality you're getting. The state can't afford world-class infrastructures.

I see. And yet we have land reclamation, high-brow estates (paryly gunded by the state), suspension bridge(s), light rails etc And if it can't according to you afgord world-class infrastructures. It is better they attend to basics. You first crawl, toddle and walk, before you learn to run.

shymexx:
The trickling down of wealth is majorly the job of the FG and Lagos for all its population and what it contributes to the national purse, it doesn't get that much back in return. Evidently, there's little the state government can do about that - it isn't responsible for all Nigerians. That's the job of the FG.

SMH. The trickling is what the ENTIRE govt is for. From LG's to the FG. The SG obviously acts as an intermediary between the foresaid two. The real trickling is at the Local Government and localngovernance in this country is paltry. It remains, it has done something, but it is grossly woeful. You can imagine an Ifako-Ijaiye LG that on a very rough estimate caters to 10 of thousands (my street contains say about 200) sharing its offices in a school premises. FG's role is another case, but what does Fashola do to support them and other LGA's ?
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 12:30pm On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

Firstly, how can you conserve greenery by turning everywhere into business/commercial centres? A park isn't a natural conservatory, same for gardens. You need natural places where people can relax and take a break from the hustle and bustle of the main city. Also, you can't compare residential houses to a massive business district.

So everyone gravitates to EA City to 'relax' ? You funny o ! There are easily many islands around Lagos that can be developed. Beaches and all-what-nots. BTW parks provide greenery (which is your reason for supporting EA vity) at acheaper cost

shymexx:
Secondly, Lagos also has a little land mass. The place is just 996km² with over 20 million people, hence the need to keep everything within a particular axis. New York doesn't have land problems, yet part of Manhattan was reclaimed. Qatar is doing the same thing with Lusail. Disneyland in California is also the same, despite the huge lands in California. London is also trying to build a new floating airport in the Thames Estuary, just to conserve green lands. And how is it a white-elephant project when the whole place has already been bought? Moreover, it's a private sector initiative, with a percentage for the Lagos state government - so I don't see what the fuss is about, to be honest.

Okay.

shymexx:
Lastly, you just referenced the UAE government spending its oil money on its people - something the FG in Nigeria is allergic to, yet you want to blame the Lagos state government for the woes of Nigeria and why over 90% of the people are poor. You're now contradicting yourself.

You are funny. The focus of this thread is Lagos. Neither did I blame Lagos for the woes of Nigeria but for places it has failed in Lagos. I also said there's only so mych Fashola can do in an over-centralized govt. Still not an excuse not to take a chance to be better.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by benardtotti(m): 12:33pm On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

People sometimes make it seem Fashola has done one. Actually I think BRT is one, Oshodi as another one. But these are flashes of brilliance. For miracles, look at Brazil, Singapore, Malaysia (very recent, for decades back they were in our position now we import rice from there). Their govts. focused on basics before doing fancy projects. The latter doesn't come before the former, in fact, it's best you don't do it side-by-side as BRF does.

Not expecting that. I said it will take 50 yrs for Fashola (at his rate) to turn Lagos around to something decent all-round. I mean that. It's a guesstimate.

Oil money funds Lagos via the FG like other states. Many multinationals and important companies have their headquarters here. Not to mention small-scale businesses. Guy even the IG revenue with them is huge (it was stated on the board it was one of the highest) and that is despite their inefficiency in that regard esp. With regard to PAYE's, dev. levy of LIRS.

This your estimation na wash. Over 90% ARE NOT poor. IOW the percentage of poor isn't that huge, I disagree. We HAVE a gairly large (if not very large) middle class, that I know.

I see. And yet we have land reclamation, high-brow estates (paryly gunded by the state), suspension bridge(s), light rails etc And if it can't according to you afgord world-class infrastructures. It is better they attend to basics. You first crawl, toddle and walk, before you learn to run.

SMH. The trickling is what the ENTIRE govt is for. From LG's to the FG. The SG obviously acts as an intermediary between the foresaid two. The real trickling is at the Local Government and localngovernance in this country is paltry. It remains, it has done something, but it is grossly woeful. You can imagine an Ifako-Ijaiye LG that on a very rough estimate caters to 10 of thousands (my street contains say about 200) sharing its offices in a school premises. FG's role is another case, but what does Fashola do to support them and other LGA's ?
my broda,your logic is very faulty,if your still in school I will strongly suggest you take some courses in political sciences,cos you have good reasoning but you need to sharpen it in the right dirction,I don't know wat part of lagos you live ,but am perfectly satisfied with all the places in lagos I have lived,surulere,(near luth),yaba(near unilag) and ajah(badore),all hav witnessed a touch of LASG,tarred roads,water(espcially yyaba)even street lights,it was not so bck in 98,which means something changed.it is not yet d best,but at least if u are a smmart citizen u can key in and prosper your life.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Italiano1: 12:36pm On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

Italiano1 the dapper-don, busting nyggahs' heads open with the verbal 12-guage shotgun since Slick Rick was singing la da di da di, and Doug E. Fresh was beat-boxing with his mouth. wink

grin grin grin

Shymexx whats the deal bruv? Enjoying your analysis on this thread!
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 12:42pm On Jan 02, 2014
Exponental:
all ur points above can be defended under d lagos state registration exercise.

I know of it. But I don't think it will work. Awareness is still low IMO. And it isn't made easy. Asking for documentation complicates it, and shouldn't be because you need the data. When I tried it I was asked to bring NEPA bill which I didn't have on me that time.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by moufan: 12:43pm On Jan 02, 2014
Olajide 24: This is political....FASHOLA HAS DONE EVEN BETTER THAN GEJ
FASHOLA BETTER THAN JONATHAN,1000000 TIMES

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

Those countries are better today because of what government at the center achieved not the mayors of the different regions. There's not much a state government can do, especially in the case of Lagos, that has about 20% of the country's population despite being the smallest in the country.

Oil money doesn't fund Lagos. Lagos contributes more the FG purse than it gets back in return. Many multinationals and important companies have their headquarters there not because of the FG, but because of the status of the place. That was also why the Brits moved the capital to the Lagos and also why Lagos was a slave coast. Even when the slaves returned, most of them returned to Lagos because of the same reason. The IGR might be huge compared to other Nigerian states, however, it isn't that much when compared to other thriving megacities across the globe, hence why the place is the way it's.

Negligible minority. The minimum wage is N18,000 and that's not even up to £100. Overwhelming majority don't earn that much.

Utter tosh. Define middle class? The truth is that the overwhelming majority of Nigerians are dirt poor.

What are the basics? You have to create wealth, so as to be able to increase your spending. With Eko Atlantic, that would generate more revenue for the state government and the money would be used to fund other projects. It would also create employment opportunity, more people with cash and distribute wealth. That means more taxes and more revenue. Just look at the bigger picture.

The structure of government in Nigeria is flawed. There's little the state government can do about wealth creation - that's the job of the FG. The state government can only cater to certain infrastructural needs of the people in places that are within their jurisdiction. And I believe the Lagos state government is head and shoulders above others if Nigerian standard, its snarly population and what's attainable in other states is used as a yardstick.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jan 02, 2014
Italiano1:

grin grin grin

Shymexx whats the deal bruv? Enjoying your analysis on this thread!

I see you, bruddah. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Premium Times Sacks Andrew Ajijah Over False Report On Miyetti Allah / Obasanjo Endorses Peter Obi For Presidency / PREMIUM TIMES Writes UK Govt, Seeks Clarification Over Peter Obi’s Arrest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.