Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,447 members, 7,819,654 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:57 PM

Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! (33983 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / Dearest Nigerians, People Are Suffering.. Read This! / Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by AutoC: 7:29am On Jan 07, 2014
@OP. Have you considered rate of divorce in countries where these laws are operated....?More than 50% of marriages in US today end in divorce, why?

Women see this Law as a means to deal with thier husband when they misbehave...Like it or not, concept of marriage require women to be submisive and this will never be subtituted for at least the next 1 century..

Feminisim will continue to create more and more unmarried women in thier 40s..

Continue to live in your halicination of sharing husband's wealth even if you cheat on him....This will never come to reality

1 Like

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by thehunted(m): 7:37am On Jan 07, 2014
paris10:

Laws should also be put in place to reward any woman whose husband left her for someone e Even in cases where the woman is found to be promiscuous and the husband want out, adequate measure should be put in place to make sure she share from the spoils.

Married women deserve better and should be treated better.

You actually wrote that?? Lazy woman.!!! Think about what you want to write before you post any sh!t here.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by favouryemmy: 7:42am On Jan 07, 2014
paris10:

Promiscuity shouldnt form basis of your argument. You should consider other possibilities and senseless reasons why men divorce women.

The macho man and the " I am the owner of this house" syndrome is the only reason why Nigerian men behave this callously. If Nigerian men start parting with half of their property maybe they will think twice before filing for a divorce.

Divorce is not good in any way. Even in developed countries, it is not only the man's propertythat is shared. The woman's properties can also be shared depending on what she possesses. So, why the emphasis on only the man's properties.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Walexsammy(m): 7:46am On Jan 07, 2014
paris10:

Sagamite.. moronic or not, not a single one of you guys accept that you bunch treat your wives as slaves. You intentionally ignore the fact that some women go through abusive relationship, yet ignorantly ranting your displeasure over facts.

I still stand by my assertion... men cheat and in a huge volume. And if your wife cheat and you file for a divorce, then you're an hypocrite. What is good for the goose is also good for the gander.
like seriouslyn itz obvious ure talking from experience and u still dnt wanna accept ur sily mistake, u neva begin suffer......after going 2ru hell to marry a woman for mahself, then still hustling to feed her and be there for her, then she go go 'put' outside and u still want me to share my hard earn spoilz with her?....smh, Maybe una go wait for Jesuse cuz ah aint no Jesus

2 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by olushowunm(m): 8:04am On Jan 07, 2014
This is thrash as most of you extremists (not feminists again) don't even understand anything again. First there is what is called Pre-nup which stands for Pre-nuptual Agreement and all those clauses can be agreed on upfront and signed into law by the couple and will not need Legislator to do that for you.
And for the records, Nigerian men do take care of their kids if the marriage produce any and i will never take care of a promiscuos ex-wife.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by tollu: 8:16am On Jan 07, 2014
This victim mentality sef
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by agitator: 8:54am On Jan 07, 2014
Compensation for divorce in Nigeria where the men purchase wives? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by pickabeau1: 8:56am On Jan 07, 2014
what the... impressive

Excellent post!

bukatyne: @OP:

Your thread would have had the desired impact if it was not too emotional and tilting against logic.

If we go the traditional route that a man provides, he only does so for his wife. Once they are divorced, they become familiar strangers.

Truth is I have never understood the need for divorce settlement except for a stay at home mom due to uncontrolable circumstances or couples who have joint investment. Patrimony? Yes

A man only owes his ex wife if he caused the divorce and the wife has joint investment with him or geninuely cannot survive on her own.

A wife who cheated the hibby and wants to part ways should also do.same

I guess we all should drop this entitlement mentality
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by chronique(m): 8:58am On Jan 07, 2014
paris10:

Laws should also be put in place to reward any woman whose husband left her for someone else. Even in cases where the woman is found to be promiscuous and the husband want out, adequate measure should be put in place to make sure she share from the spoils.

Sorry,what part of your head did you use in hitting the floor? I should give a promiscous woman money after humiliating me by sharing what I paid for with a stranger? Pls,don't post because people are posting. Try and be reasonable. I agree that the women who get married to irresponsible men,should be adequately compensiated in a case of divorce;but not promiscous women. I'd rather give out all my money to charity than allow a bitchy wife take a penny out of it. There are two things I won't take from a lady and they are:

1: thou shall not attempt to take my life by stabbing me or pouring acid on me or doing anything intentionally to take my life.

2: thou shall not sleep with any other man apart from me(cos I won't do same to you). I don't have a heart for forgiving infidelity and I'm sorry to say that.

1 Like

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Sunglow: 9:00am On Jan 07, 2014
Women should become financially independent stop relying on hubby to give you every cent you would ever need.Make your own money,have your own investments,as much as is within you build businesses.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by gerald09(m): 9:06am On Jan 07, 2014
lady gogo: i sometimes wonder what all those female legislators do with their time in the National Assembly.

If these measures were in place i trust that a lot of endurance type marriages will have ended a long time ago.
Dey do nuffin, as dey are seen by dere old pot belly husband so dey are in d Houses, " they shuld be seen, n not heard"
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Sunglow: 9:14am On Jan 07, 2014
phuck_NL:
No big deal in being an engineering student (Nigerian one) jare. 90% of them cant tell you the significance of the laws of thermodynamics barely TWO days after graduation so all they have is a piece of paper showing they went to school. She's probably better off selling the okrika.
The fact that one studied engineering in a Nigerian university does not qualify one to be an engineer.
what if she was your daughter/sis would you still applaud her selling okrika?would you not be mad @ her hubby and be moved to do smithing about the situation?knowing fully well that she went thru the university in hope of getting a better life?
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Nobody: 9:19am On Jan 07, 2014
op there is something that u are seriously forgetting, if that law is implemented, the number of missing and dead wives will be epic, u really think that a naija niggga will part with half of his property and cash because u dont want to live with him again.....

you are a bad example to women, you did not encourage women to be independent financially even if the husband is paying every bill in the house, you didnt encourage women to retrace their steps and rediscover what made the guy marry them......, u didnt encourage men to look at their wives as the mother of their children, and treat them well, u just ran to the conclusion of getting the man's property when u think the party is over or when u are just bored.

OP, seriously U need to deal with whatever issues u are having and not spread contagious evil in our society.....

people like you will kill their husband the minute you find out that there is a life insurance policy on them and u stand to gain when they die.

I rank you 8/10 in my evil scale.

3 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Nobody: 9:23am On Jan 07, 2014
Sunglow: would you not be moved to do smithing about the situation?knowing fully well that she went thru the university in hope of getting a better life?
Something like what? Open up and engineering business for her? Abi na so work easy to come by? Or what if she's lost passion for engineering? Are all okrika traders poor people? Was the famous Mr. Shiit (Otunba Gadafi)unschoooled.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by dasparrow: 9:37am On Jan 07, 2014
@Post

This is why the single life is the best. Its just that, Nigerians make marriage a do or die affair and then later on when sh!t hits the fan, we see threads such as this. Women must learn to empower themselves so that, should the marriage fall apart, the women can stay afloat without sinking. We are not in the 12th century anymore where women should rely solely on men. This is the 21st century and times have changed.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by logica(m): 9:49am On Jan 07, 2014
ARES:

I rank you 8/10 in my evil scale.
Really? Don't know about evil, but it's 10/10 on the ret@rded scale.

1 Like

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Nobody: 10:06am On Jan 07, 2014
logica: Really? Don't know about evil, but it's 10/10 on the ret@rded scale.

lord logica, abeg no make me laugh, this poster is a horrible example for women, marriages and self dignity..... I wonder who messed her up....
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by logica(m): 10:27am On Jan 07, 2014
ARES:
I wonder who messed her up....
There are a few clues here:

1. She thinks all men are slave drivers and their wives the slaves.
2. She thinks women only cheat in retaliation to being cheated on by men.

You can tell it's personal; so it's either she speaks of her parents marriage; or her own marriage.

3 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by thehunted(m): 10:40am On Jan 07, 2014
Op,

You have a brain. If a man can make money,you can also make money . Stop waiting for your unlucky husband to divorce you so you can get half of his wealth.
Well,if u live in Nigeria,it won't happen. Naija men sharp pass that one.

For Christ sake,what is wrong with the girls of nowadays? All they think of is money. People like the op and her likes are praying for their husbands to divorce them so they can enjoy half of his money. Na hunger go kill you o.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Nobody: 10:47am On Jan 07, 2014
OP

Your post made some sense until you got to the infidelity part and then made nonsense of everything you wrote.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by AreaFada2: 10:49am On Jan 07, 2014
Chomzy19: Oh please I fink you know that silly link you posted says nothing, I was waiting to see a well documented research only to see one article by one Laboratory scientist who engages in Armchair theorizing by d "very few cases' that comes to his lab unlike you though he had d sense to still be modest in his estimations unlike your "50%" MY GAWD!!

That there's promiscuity among unmarried men and women in Naija is no question.

Among girls, from the university runs babe to the average girl looking for Brazilian hair to bb.

I know a few people who have faced serious embarrassment over the years. They had kids before coming to Europe.

Now to bring the kids over, they have to conduct DNA test with samples collected in Naija and test done in UK. No standard Naija DNA labs then.

The kids failed DNA test. A second DNA test conducted in UK also failed. Imagine suddenly appearing as if trying to deceive UK authorities AND the shame of telling people your 14 or 15 year old child is not yours.

Majority were firstborn kids. I think in some Naija cities, 50% firstborn bastard rate would be a conservative figure.

In Europe, Africa, South America, US, 30% overall bastard rate is about correct from various reports I have seen.

Yes men are probably more promiscuous than women BUT we don't get pregnant or give Mr Audu's baby to Mr Ogunleye or Mr Ofodile.

1 Like

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by sensaraj(f): 10:52am On Jan 07, 2014
paris10: It is the wife beaters who would lose out when or if law is passed in regards to property sharing. Women who are bread winners and own properties should also be able to reimburse and share the spoils with the men.

busted was joking grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by logica(m): 10:58am On Jan 07, 2014
Area-Fada:

Yes men are probably more promiscuous than women.
Not even correct; though you said "probably".
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by logica(m): 11:00am On Jan 07, 2014
sensaraj:

In my own case, im the bread winners, my husband has little or nothing to offer and he has other children from ex wife too, so is he going to share in my property (like landed property)in case of divorce
Hahahahaha...
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by foxgiovani(m): 11:00am On Jan 07, 2014
bee444: Only women who go through divorce with no fault of their own should be compensated dearly by their husbands. Men who throw their wives out just to marry another woman should be ashamed of themselves and should be held accountable for irresponsibility.
I totally agree with you. If it is found that the man is at fault, the woman should be adequately compensated but if its the woman's fault, let her carry her cross.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by JANK23H(m): 11:05am On Jan 07, 2014
Arial.bold:

well, that's why I said 99%
the other 1%, who refuse opportunity to go abroad, more grease to their elbow. I have never heard of such a case sha.

did you get an opportunity to go abroad that you rejected? if not, then you do not count as part of the 1%. you just never got the opportunity. let's keep it at that smiley
Really.....99%?where did you get your stats from.I think you don't know what 99% is,no wonder you were arguing blindly about 50% stats the other time.

You are really dumb I must say.

2 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by sensaraj(f): 11:09am On Jan 07, 2014
logica: Hahahahaha...
stop that, i need help here cos i confuse
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by JANK23H(m): 11:32am On Jan 07, 2014
paris10: Men are getting scared like their world is about to get " better" (don't want to use the negative aspect).

I see a lot of vexations. Pls calm down, this is just a suggestion. Maybe a public consultation should be held and personal opinion taken out. Answers have to be objective.

And to those criticising me about the promiscuity stuff, maybe if you remain faithful, your wives won't cheat.
Again you have shown your double standard and inability to reason logically.So women only cheat because the men are unfaithful?.if then men cheat because women nag and unbearable sometimes then it's wrong.To what length do you have to go to push forward your feministic warped opinion?

You shoot your self in the foot anytime you comment.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by pickabeau1: 11:35am On Jan 07, 2014
busted!

sensaraj:

In my own case, im the bread winners, my husband has little or nothing to offer and he has other children from ex wife too, so is he going to share in my property (like landed property)in case of divorce
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Nobody: 11:50am On Jan 07, 2014
Women who are bread winners and own properties should also be able to reimburse and share the spoils with the men.

Ofcourse.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by FNG3: 12:24pm On Jan 07, 2014
paris10: As in the norms in Nigeria, women who get divorced or are been thrown out of their matrimonial homes by their husbands tend to lose out alot.

Even in domestic violence cases, women who couldnt take the violence any longer divorce the husband without sharing in the property.

Though Nigeria is not UK, US or other western countries where women share in the estate or property of the husband after divorce, Nigerian men should atleast take responsibility in making sure the woman they divorce would be well-off after letting her go.

Laws should also be put in place to reward any woman whose husband left her for someone else. Even in cases where the woman is found to be promiscuous and the husband want out, adequate measure should be put in place to make sure she share from the spoils.

who told you that divorced women in nigeria don't share from the man's property after divorce?my uncles wife made away with 7million naira and a car after their divorce.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by paris10: 12:41pm On Jan 07, 2014
sensaraj:

Your husband would have the right to claim compensation from you and share in your assets if you were found to have initiated the divorce.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

My Husband Is A Serial Adulterer, He Slept With My Sister – Woman Tells Court / What do Your Parents Do When A Movie Gets To A Sex Scene / How Have You Been Able To Survive This Unfavorable Economy? Share Your Experienc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.