Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,118 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu - Properties (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu (163520 Views)

How We Built "The Coffee Shop" / The Luxury Hotel Owned By Kaduna Commercial Transport Workers (Photos) / Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 12:28pm On Jan 31, 2015
Closer. .....

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by NL1960: 1:07pm On Jan 31, 2015
NL1960:

@spyder880, how is Interlocking work priced?. I have reached that stage in my project.

Oga spyder880, this question is still awaiting your response as i need to take a decision on whether to do concrete flooring or do interlocking.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 1:20pm On Jan 31, 2015
NL1960:

Oga spyder880, this question is still awaiting your response as i need to take a decision on whether to do concrete flooring or do interlocking.

Interlock tiles are charged by square metres as well as by whole calculations for the whole compound. A contract that specifies the work in square meters will have cost for tiles and cost for laying (usually N300) for each square meter. A lot depends on the design, thickness and pattern of the work you want to determine the charge of each meter. For work of a whole compound, you have to specify where and how you want your kerbs and flower positions.
You could buy the interlock tiles and call in a layer to work or ask them to produce and lay the tiles.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Earlybird81(f): 10:41pm On Feb 04, 2015
Hello Spyder880 I hv gone tru ds thread likewise ur other threads on building projects.I must confess that I am really impressed wt the level of professionalism n transparency being displayed here. Kudos to u and ur team.Pls how do I contact u?I really need to speak wt u urgently.

3 Likes

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 2:35am On Feb 05, 2015
Earlybird81:
Hello Spyder880 I hv gone tru ds thread likewise ur other threads on building projects.I must confess that I am really impressed wt the level of professionalism n transparency being displayed here. Kudos to u and ur team.Pls how do I contact u?I really need to speak wt u urgently.

You can call me on my mobile phone 08033350750 or write me an email on ckenneths@yahoo.co.uk
Thanks and looking forward to hear from you.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by tranxo(m): 3:21am On Feb 05, 2015
spyder880:

Interlock tiles are charged by square metres as well as by whole calculations for the whole compound. A contract that specifies the work in square meters will have cost for tiles and cost for laying (usually N300) for each square meter. A lot depends on the design, thickness and pattern of the work you want to determine the charge of each meter. For work of a whole compound, you have to specify where and how you want your kerbs and flower positions.
You could buy the interlock tiles and call in a layer to work or ask them to produce and lay the tiles.
hmmm what's the benefit of the plastic underlay. i only know of sand.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Empiree: 3:53am On Feb 05, 2015
tranxo:
hmmm what's the benefit of the plastic underlay. i only know of sand.
Oga spyder once told me it's to prevent growth of grass. So correct.

If you have ever came across a house not properly kept, you would see grasses grow in between interlocks
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Nobody: 4:32am On Feb 05, 2015
Empiree:

If you have ever came across a house not properly kept, you would see grasses grow in between interlocks

I intend to use similar weed blocker but with drain holes to enable good drainage.

But I won't be using interlocking tiles but colored gravel. It will be part of my layered levels of defense. Very hard to drive or walk quietly on gravel wink

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Empiree: 4:46am On Feb 05, 2015
CityNG:

I intend to use similar weed blocker but with drain holes to enable good drainage.

But I won't be using interlocking tiles but colored gravel. It will be part of my layered levels of defense. Very hard to drive or walk quietly on gravel wink
you mean the way it is pictured up there^?. That will be hard for grandpa and ma to walk on bro
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Nobody: 5:24am On Feb 05, 2015
Empiree:
you mean the way it is pictured up there^?. That will be hard for grandpa and ma to walk on bro

The Grandparents can stay in the inside but open courtyard and tend to the garden and Koi fish pond or roll around in the wheelchair on the very minimal concrete driveway up front grin

Anything to avoid building a fortress type wall unless and until it becomes absolutely necessary.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Empiree: 5:42am On Feb 05, 2015
CityNG:

The Grandparents can stay in the inside but open courtyard and tend to the garden and Koi fish pond or roll around in the wheelchair on the very minimal concrete driveway up front grin

Anything to avoid building a fortress type wall unless and until it becomes absolutely necessary.
Lol, that's funny. I hear you my brother.

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by tranxo(m): 6:21am On Feb 05, 2015
Empiree:

wow! that's good
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Breed(m): 9:25am On Feb 05, 2015
spyder880:
We are right now completing the second soakaway system

Please how much on the average did it cost you to make the SoakAway unit? Thanks.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by amadasunfarm(m): 11:09am On Feb 05, 2015
SIR, PLS WHAT IS THE COST OF WOOD IN BENIN CITY .3X4 ,2X2 ,2X3,2x4 .THANK YOU
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 2:21pm On Feb 05, 2015
Breed:

Please how much on the average did it cost you to make the SoakAway unit? Thanks.

N230,000 for everything, materials, labour etc.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 2:49pm On Feb 05, 2015
The new iron door now mounted and dressed in, kitchen cabinet works on flat number 6.

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 2:52pm On Feb 05, 2015
We intend to cover this space till the gate of the compound today, we are going to start the back of the house interlock tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 5:53pm On Feb 09, 2015
Interlock for the back of the house, under the tank stand.......

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 5:55pm On Feb 09, 2015
We use a sand/cement mixture to seal up the cracks. .....

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Onuokwu: 6:11pm On Feb 09, 2015
spyder880:
We use a sand/cement mixture to seal up the cracks. .....

Please o, Prof. Spyder, My hand is raised for question from the back of the class. I can see there is a cellophane barrier between the sand and interlocking stones. What is binding the stones to the floor/sand as I doubt the cellophane in between will allow this to hold together. Am I missing something. I am a very confused student right now.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 6:54pm On Feb 09, 2015
Onuokwu:

Please o, Prof. Spyder, My hand is raised for question from the back of the class. I can see there is a cellophane barrier between the sand and interlocking stones. What is binding the stones to the floor/sand as I doubt the cellophane in between will allow this to hold together. Am I missing something. I am a very confused student right now.

Interlocking stones are not meant to be fixed on the ground to stick, they are meant to be dropped into position to sit on the bare sand. Since sharp sand is not supposed to sink into the ground after good ground treatment, it is solid enough to bear weight, even to e driven on.
The cellophane on the other hand is made to seal off contact with organic matters beneath the interlock stones and prevent the possibility of growth of grass. It also helps to keep ground water dew from finding their way to the surface. Its a new inclusion to interlocking works.

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by NL1960: 11:01am On Feb 10, 2015
spyder880:

Interlocking stones are not meant to be fixed on the ground to stick, they are meant to be dropped into position to sit on the bare sand. Since sharp sand is not supposed to sink into the ground after good ground treatment, it is solid enough to bear weight, even to e driven on.
The cellophane on the other hand is made to seal off contact with organic matters beneath the interlock stones and prevent the possibility of growth of grass. It also helps to keep ground water dew from finding their way to the surface. Its a new inclusion to interlocking works.

Wa o. Very insightful. I have learn a new thing today. Thanks for this insightful perspective.

Btw, when you say cellophane, is it the one street people like me call nylon?.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:14am On Feb 10, 2015
NL1960:

Wa o. Very insightful. I have learn a new thing today. Thanks for this insightful perspective.

Btw, when you say cellophane, is it the one street people like me call nylon?.

Yes its nylon, just a little thicker than the one used in the streets.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by bugmenot: 5:15pm On Feb 10, 2015
spyder880:

Yes its nylon, just a little thicker than the one used in the streets.

Won't it (the nylon) disintegrate over time? I've always wondered the same about the nylon used in DPCs, but that's probably not quite as exposed to the water and weather conditions.

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 5:10pm On Feb 11, 2015
bugmenot:

Won't it (the nylon) disintegrate over time? I've always wondered the same about the nylon used in DPCs, but that's probably not quite as exposed to the water and weather conditions.

It will, but its our hope that the ground must have been firm enough to sustain the levelness and seal by then.

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 5:11pm On Feb 11, 2015
Interlock at the side of the house. .......

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 5:13pm On Feb 11, 2015
Outside painting. .....

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 5:15pm On Feb 11, 2015
Work still in progress

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by bebe2(f): 12:07am On Feb 12, 2015
CityNG:

hmmm, dat a gud idea. dat how part of my drive way here is.

but am sure naija pple will seriously object to it.

am thinking of congreting, as pour concrete around the house.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 3:11pm On Feb 12, 2015
More kitchen cabinets and now, we are building a reading corner inside the master bedrooms, there will be a small table, chair and a book shelf on top.

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 3:13pm On Feb 12, 2015
Outside painting continues. .....

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by sandee575(f): 4:21am On Feb 13, 2015
spyder880:

It will, but its our hope that the ground must have been firm enough to sustain the levelness and seal by then.

This "nylon" as you claimed earlier, was supposed to stop the growth of weeds and prevent ground water from
surfacing....someone remarked that the nylon would likely disintegrate with time, which welcomed my own thoughts
too...how come the new explanation is about the sustainance of levelness and sealing of the ground. A material fated
to come into ruins wouldn't be able to afford these expectations. Isn't this another another builders' myth??
Give me "granite dust" anyday (in an appreciable depth) as underlay for the interlocking tiles and I will vote that well over "nylon".

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (50) (Reply)

How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? / Building My 3 Bedroom Bungalow (the Apocalypse) / Noisy Sex: The Notice A Landlord Pasted At His House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.