Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,350 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:10 AM

How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu - Properties (47) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu (163003 Views)

How We Built "The Coffee Shop" / The Luxury Hotel Owned By Kaduna Commercial Transport Workers (Photos) / Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by tranxo(m): 7:23pm On Apr 03, 2015
mufutau55:

Yeah! I guess inside the tanks... Nigerian will improvise on anything, that is why I like us. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Actually it's not a new device. It's been in existence. Search Google Image for Float Shut Valve System and you will see thousands of varieties
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by mufutau55(m): 7:37pm On Apr 03, 2015
tranxo:
Actually it's not a new device. It's been in existence. Search Google Image for Float Shut Valve System and you will see thousands of varieties

Thanks.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by bugmenot: 7:52pm On Apr 03, 2015

I think you're right. I lived in a building (in Lagos) in the eighties where the water pump shuts off by itself when the water gets to a particular level and turns on automatically when the water falls below a particular level.

Maybe this is what local electricians call it but the device is also called a float switch.

tranxo:

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by tranxo(m): 8:05pm On Apr 03, 2015
bugmenot:

I think you're right. I lived in a building (in Lagos) in the eighties where the water pump shuts off by itself when the water gets to a particular level and turns on automatically when the water falls below a particular level.

Maybe this is what local electricians call it but the device is also called a float switch.

Exactly!
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 9:37pm On Apr 03, 2015
bugmenot:

Yes we have a float switch, its usually made of a floating ball attached to a valve mechanism which allows the valve to close as soon as the ball floats to a predetermined level. This prevents the pumping of additional volumes of water into the tank as the value shuts.
We used this technology when I was working in a bottling company.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by gabbytabby: 6:13am On Apr 04, 2015
mufutau55:

Many of the roof water tanks I have seen are like this.. That is why I built a steel tower stand for my water tank stand.
Thanks Spyder.. I was looking for sample photo to post to the OP (Bebe2).

Hajji M.

I get nightmares about the safety issues around this such that I only do concrete and then I am still a little worried. Will upload picture later. I am not a fan of having it on top of the house at all.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by bebe2(f): 9:51am On Apr 04, 2015
mufutau55:

Yes. But that is for the toilet... How did they install/use this on the decked floor Water tanks?
I need to see how this is implemented... Thanks.

Hajji M.

Spoke to my brother last night. And got a clearer pic of the situation. He said his plumberbought the ball like thing bit it doesnt always work.

But wat he did in another property of his is to build a little decked area inserted in the roof. So it like a little bathroom, tiled walls and floor with an opening going to the drainage system. The tank is not ON the roof like spyder880 picture but IN the roof.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by bebe2(f): 8:02pm On Apr 04, 2015
Gd evening all.

Am slowly getting frustrated with my project.

Been building it slowly for about 18 Months, it's gulped all my money and I don't even like wat I saw wen I went home.

The latest now is the fencing, I told my builder to use blocks as the pillar but he is insisting on using concrete pillars.

This is the second fencing he is doing for me and leaving space for pillars even though I have often told him to always use blocks as the pillar.

his excuse now is that it's the property is on the road so it needs pillars because of passing cars.
but the road is a close except for pple who live there no other cars go pass.

I don't want to distrust him, but we are sliding there fast .
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 9:07pm On Apr 04, 2015
bebe2:
Gd evening all.

Am slowly getting frustrated with my project.

Been building it slowly for about 18 Months, it's gulped all my money and I don't even like wat I saw wen I went home.

The latest now is the fencing, I told my builder to use blocks as the pillar but he is insisting on using concrete pillars.

This is the second fencing he is doing for me and leaving space for pillars even though I have often told him to always use blocks as the pillar.

his excuse now is that it's the property is on the road so it needs pillars because of passing cars.
but the road is a close except for pple who live there no other cars go pass.

I don't want to distrust him, but we are sliding there fast .

Block pillars has nothing to fear from passing cars, except if the protruding blocks will impede on passing cars/humans. If for the fear of collapse, you have nothing to fear because the block pillars even act as additional support for the fence, with the protruding blocks acting as stabilising members.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by bebe2(f): 9:25pm On Apr 04, 2015
spyder880:

Block pillars has nothing to fear from passing cars, except if the protruding blocks will impede on passing cars/humans. If for the fear of collapse, you have nothing to fear because the block pillars even act as additional support for the fence, with the protruding blocks acting as stabilising members.

tnk u sir, am begining to suspect this guy, he is bent on ruining me.

he keeps saying the difference no reach 20k. but i know say e go pass.

so fed up.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by gabbytabby: 9:40am On Apr 05, 2015
bebe2:

tnk u sir, am begining to suspect this guy, he is bent on ruining me.

he keeps saying the difference no reach 20k. but i know say e go pass.

so fed up.

such thing dey annoy person especially when it is totally unecessary. When you are far away youjusttake a deep breath and exhale to let off steam. See if you tell that you will get someone who will do what you want and csn afford if he will stop.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by bebe2(f): 4:42pm On Apr 05, 2015
gabbytabby:

such thing dey annoy person especially when it is totally unecessary. When you are far away youjusttake a deep breath and exhale to let off steam. See if you tell that you will get someone who will do what you want and csn afford if he will stop.

It's ridiculous, slowly but surely am beginning to see the other side of him.

Am suppose to be doing foundation for 6 flats in June but with all this am going to just leave it.

He has given a rough estimate of 1.3m already.

After this, am going to slow down don't trust his judgement anymore.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 9:47pm On Apr 05, 2015
bebe2:

It's ridiculous, slowly but surely am beginning to see the other side of him.

Am suppose to be doing foundation for 6 flats in June but with all this am going to just leave it.

He has given a rough estimate of 1.3m already.

After this, am going to slow down don't trust his judgement anymore.

Just be firm with him, shop around a little and tell him how much you are ready to pay, dont be quick to discard him because you never know how good the next man is going to be.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by bebe2(f): 10:07pm On Apr 05, 2015
spyder880:

Just be firm with him, shop around a little and tell him how much you are ready to pay, dont be quick to discard him because you never know how good the next man is going to be.

Yeah. That's the problem. Property is in lagos and am from benin city. I don't really have relatives dat can help in lagos.

I will hold on to him but am going to be more vigilant in dealing with him.

Tnks for taking the time out to contribute.

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by lawali: 2:12am On Apr 06, 2015
spyder880:
Toilets, bathrooms, water heaters...........
Oga spyder, I was unable to see full picture of the toilet/bathrooms but it seems u use shower mixer all through. Considering this project is for commercial and residential, I want to believe shower cubicle may be too much in cost and difficult to maintain by occupier. Pls correct me if I am wrong.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by lawali: 2:26am On Apr 06, 2015
spyder880:
Still in the site this morning, we bought a tank of water and pumped up to a quarter of each tank here. We are currently testing the connections, the flows and areas of leakages. We are fixing up all noticed leaks now.
Dear Spyder, please what is the capacity of your borehole pump for this house? Any rule of thumb for basis for capacity. Thanks.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by mufutau55(m): 2:51am On Apr 06, 2015
lawali:
Dear Spyder, please what is the capacity of your borehole pump for this house? Any rule of thumb for basis for capacity. Thanks.

Read.. Page 42-44 for the borehole discussion... He said there is no borehole on this site... "Enugu water problems".

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Royal30: 11:43am On Apr 06, 2015
Does it mean each flat have two toilet and two bathrooms only? No visitors Wc?

spyder880:
Toilets, bathrooms, water heaters...........
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by manie(m): 1:38pm On Apr 06, 2015
@Spyder since you have refused to tell the house the total money spent so far on the project, can you give us an idea of the budget of the owner of this house. At least every sensible person should have a budget before embarking on a project of this magnitude. we do not need the exact figure, just give us a range.

From my layman's experience working on smaller personal housing projects, I think N35 million to N40 million should be able to complete this project excluding the cost of land.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by Nobody: 2:38pm On Apr 06, 2015
@spyder you practically and systematically Avoid giving the whole N'lander the total amount spent ,Guess you were afraid Of criticism from the members Just like the last time. Just give us overall Budget , At list that part of learning too .

We are Used to your I'll ask the Owner for permission U've been saying that since d beginning of this thread.

@ Manie 28-30M should do Excluding Land.

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by manie(m): 3:01pm On Apr 06, 2015
timothy001:
@spyder you practically and systematically Avoid giving the whole N'lander the total amount spent ,Guess you were afraid Of criticism from the members Just like the last time. Just give us overall Budget , At list that part of learning too .

We are Used to your I'll ask the Owner for permission U've been saying that since d beginning of this thread.

I know N30 million can do the project, but this is only possible for experienced and informed owners who have the luxury of time to do running around, direct management of workers on site and do quotation/price comparison.
Since most people on this thread may not be that endowed with the requisite information, knowledge and considering the problem of time constraints, I think it will be okay to have a budget of between N35 million to N40 million.

We may just have to stick to this figure of N35 million to N40 million until when Spyder finishes computing his figures.

Currently doing a project in Agbara Ogun State and I can give the money spent as at any stage of the project.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by mufutau55(m): 3:06pm On Apr 06, 2015
manie:

Currently doing a project in Agbara Ogun State and I can give the money spent as at any stage of the project.

It will be lovely if you can open a thread and show us the projects with the cost analysis. People here are always interested.
Thank you.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by manie(m): 3:20pm On Apr 06, 2015
mufutau55:

It will be lovely if you can open a thread and show us the projects with the cost analysis. People here are always interested.
Thank you.

Hajji M.

I will try, hope time will permit me.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by manie(m): 3:26pm On Apr 06, 2015
timothy001:

Spyder's professional fees should be like N3 million, budget another N2 million for Omo-onile and government officials ie if the project is located in Lagos or Ogun State. At the end of the day you may spend more than N30 million.
Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 9:46pm On Apr 06, 2015
manie:
@Spyder since you have refused to tell the house the total money spent so far on the project, can you give us an idea of the budget of the owner of this house. At least every sensible person should have a budget before embarking on a project of this magnitude. we do not need the exact figure, just give us a range.
From my layman's experience working on smaller personal housing projects, I think N35 million to N40 million should be able to complete this project excluding the cost of land.

manie:

I know N30 million can do the project, but this is only possible for experienced and informed owners who have the luxury of time to do running around, direct management of workers on site and do quotation/price comparison.
Since most people on this thread may not be that endowed with the requisite information, knowledge and considering the problem of time constraints, I think it will be okay to have a budget of between N35 million to N40 million.
We may just have to stick to this figure of N35 million to N40 million until when Spyder finishes computing his figures.

Thank you my people, your estimated amounts are very close to the actual amount spent. No need for me to add or remove anything to the nice discussion, I have not sat down yet to tabulate every amount spent building this house, that should be done later as I have a few jobs to complete now. I am so happy we have a lot of us who are very knowledgeable in building matters, I am very proud of you all. Happy Easter my people.

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by mufutau55(m): 1:42am On Apr 07, 2015
spyder880:

Thank you my people, your estimated amounts are very close to the actual amount spent. No need for me to add or remove anything to the nice discussion, I have not sat down yet to tabulate every amount spent building this house, that should be done later as I have a few jobs to complete now. I am so happy we have a lot of us who are very knowledgeable in building matters, I am very proud of you all. Happy Easter my people.

Off-Topic Mode ON
Oga Spyder, have consider running for Politics at sometimes? If so, please count me as one of your God-Father, I get money plenty.
Even if you are not running in my Party (but I know your party), I will finance you. You will make a good Poiltician as you make a good Builder.
But you have to attend University of Pathological Liar like those other Politicians oh! smiley You no sabi that one yet.
Off-Topic Mode OFF

This house is a very good edifice.. the owner got a good Builder to achieve his dream.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 5:43am On Apr 07, 2015
mufutau55:

Off-Topic Mode ON
Oga Spyder, have consider running for Politics at sometimes? If so, please count me as one of your God-Father, I get money plenty.
Even if you are not running in my Party (but I know your party), I will finance you. You will make a good Poiltician as you make a good Builder.
But you have to attend University of Pathological Liar like those other Politicians oh! smiley You no sabi that one yet.
Off-Topic Mode OFF

This house is a very good edifice.. the owner got a good Builder to achieve his dream.

Hajji M.

grin grin grin No, I don't l like Nigerian politics, na building houses I love best.

2 Likes

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 6:35am On Apr 07, 2015
Sunbreaker shield for the cover of the waste pipes installed.

1 Like

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by bugmenot: 2:30pm On Apr 07, 2015

What did the sunbreakers cost you?

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by mufutau55(m): 2:34pm On Apr 07, 2015
spyder880:

grin grin grin No, I don't l like Nigerian politics, na building houses I love best.

You are one of the wisest young man I have came across. More respect to you, Oga Spyder.
And YES, you are a very good Builder and will continue to improve as the Best. Please keep it up Sir.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu by spyder880(m): 3:58pm On Apr 07, 2015
mufutau55:

You are one of the wisest young man I have came across. More respect to you, Oga Spyder.
And YES, you are a very good Builder and will continue to improve as the Best. Please keep it up Sir.

Hajji M.

Thank you Sir.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (Reply)

How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? / Building My 3 Bedroom Bungalow (the Apocalypse) / Noisy Sex: The Notice A Landlord Pasted At His House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.