Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,507 members, 7,819,838 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused (41791 Views)

#FreeEse:Emir Sanusi Denies Malicious Lies That Said He Refused To Help #freeese / See What President Jonathan Asked Jega To Do About Election Result / Emir Sanusi To Electorate: Don’t Vote For Persecutors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by Nobody: 10:48am On Jan 09, 2014
ceejay4real: Its IGBOS & not Ibos. Pls take note! Thanks!

Who cares? To us it's Ibo.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by Revolva(m): 10:48am On Jan 09, 2014
jonathan should resign first ok......

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by Dee60: 10:48am On Jan 09, 2014
Tyranny in the making!

Even now Sanusi says he fears for his life!

Is there a watch list or hit list somewhere?

If you have not watched the film last King of Scotland, please do!

Even those bootlickers may soon flee!
Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by bxcode(m): 10:50am On Jan 09, 2014
I wonder y every national issue brought up is treated with tribalism for God's sake, and for obvious reasons, this has been why its so hard to fight corruption in this country. Mr President, if ǚ had been straightforward and unbiased, so many of ur ministers would have resigned just as u want Sanusi to do the same, but its a shame that all the politicians in this country care for nothing but personal interest, both APC and PDP, i side none of them in any matter, period!!! angryangryangryangry
Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by ImperialYoruba: 10:52am On Jan 09, 2014
icon aus: It is unfortunate that some people think that they own this country any we thank God for GEJ government which has exposed so many things that were silent before . The M belt has suffered under north and continues to suffer , the igbos too and even more , the Niger delta is beginning to see their true color because they are making the government ungovernable for and the yorubas too ( Abiola, fulani in kwara etc ) but only Yoruba are denial of the north atrocity to them . North get to be stopped otherwise the country called Nigeria will be no more .Whatever happens , Nigeria will not be the same after GEJ be it 2015 or 2019 . No more , the north will not continue to lord it over the entire Nigeria . Sanusi should resign because he is one of the axis of evil against GEJ regime .

It is not easy to govern given so many forces against the president . People continue to say that GEJ does not have balls but with out understanding that he has do what is doing otherwise is gona be hot for him as it is now . Massive defection to APC is a ploy by the north intimidate and get ride of GEJ despite federal appointment in favour of the North . nothing happens for nothing . People who are thinking that Nigeria will be the same again should think twice . If the north and the west succeed in getting rid of GEJ , they cannot enjoy Nigeria too . Law of Karma will come into play in any form .

There is nothing the North has done to Yoruba in public which we have not returned, most times out of public knowledge. Thats the difference.

Name one instance in which they have gained upper hand on Yoruba.

Just because you suffer under the burden of their supremacy above you doesnt mean Yoruba also have the same problem.

This is kinda like when you say Yorubas dont travel outside our zone. The fact we are not present in SE does not mean we dont travel - you find us all over West Africa.

4 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by musa1980yahoo(m): 10:53am On Jan 09, 2014
Billyonaire: This Polymer CBN Governor should just leave. He has achieved little other than radical chit-chats.

You are very insincere. Nigeria has never had an intellectual CBN gov. like Mr. Sanusi. And he is very much right GEJ can nat remove him single handedly for speaking the truth. Rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by barcaboi(m): 10:55am On Jan 09, 2014
ba7man: If he doesn't have the balls to remove Stella Oduah, he doesn't have the balls to remove Sanusi Lamido.

By the way, WHY DOES EVERYONE DISRESPECT G.E.J
Cause he's acting like he's president of a particular clan..

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by kokoA(m): 10:57am On Jan 09, 2014
bxcode: I wonder y every national issue brought up is treated with tribalism for God's sake, and for obvious reasons, this has been why its so hard to fight corruption in this country. Mr President, if ǚ had been straightforward and unbiased, so many of ur ministers would have resigned just as u want Sanusi to do the same, but its a shame that all the politicians in this country care for nothing but personal interest, both APC and PDP, i side none of them in any matter, period!!! angryangryangryangry
have you asked yourself this question before? Was nairaland this tribal during past administrations? The answer is NO! Which means this present government is doing something very wrong, trying to divide the country along ethnic lines. We have a president who openly favours one section of the country to the other. What you see on nairaland is just a trickling down effect of this madness at the top.

4 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by Pamcrest(f): 10:57am On Jan 09, 2014
Maybe the president should replace Sanusi with Stella since many want her out of d Aviation Min?
Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by ImperialYoruba: 10:59am On Jan 09, 2014
Dee60: Tyranny in the making!

Even now Sanusi says he fears for his life!

Is there a watch list or hit list somewhere?

If you have not watched the film last King of Scotland, please do!

Even those bootlickers may soon flee!

That says a lot!

Why would Sanusi be in a state of anxiety after a phone exchange with his President?

This opens a gate to many dark passageways. I want to read Sanusi's memo after he leaves the administration.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by jude33084(m): 10:59am On Jan 09, 2014
Billyonaire: This Polymer CBN Governor should just leave. He has achieved little other than radical chit-chats.

[size=15pt] SICK! [/size]
Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by SirCee: 11:01am On Jan 09, 2014
Obasanjo said it all in his letter to Mr President.
He still maintatined that he stood by his letter and what else.
Too many problems for GEJ to handle.
However, I trust he can handle them as an experinced President.
Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by solomon111(m): 11:02am On Jan 09, 2014
Sanusi would've to leave one way or the other.
He has been an unprecedented failure.
I really can't fathom how this guy became the CBN governor.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by OrlandoOwoh(m): 11:03am On Jan 09, 2014
Nafeesa AA: SLS Wrote his letter months before OBJ wrote his, what stop GEJ from responding to the letter earlier on, only to quickly set a committee after the letter went public? This goes to show that if the letter had not gone public nothing would have been done.
I agree with you that Lamido Sanusi wrote his letter three months before that of Olusegun Obasanjo. There was no the Presidency could be right for saying Sanusi leaked the letter to Obasanjo. The President should get his facts right before he, as he usually does, say he was misquoted by the media. This has become his alibi.
Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by bxcode(m): 11:04am On Jan 09, 2014
kokoA: have you asked yourself this question before? Was nairaland this tribal during past administrations? The answer is NO! Which means this present government is doing something very wrong, trying to divide the country along ethnic lines. We have a president who openly favours one section of the country to the other. What you see on nairaland is just a trickling down effect of this madness at the top.
Two things are clearly involved, the present government is doing something wrong as u rightly said and some ethnic camp clamouring to get back that power at all cost and when they do, will it change anything Hell no!!!! The same vicious circle continues.
Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by Nobody: 11:05am On Jan 09, 2014
I donbilivit! It must be a plot of the APC to incite the whole North against Jonathan. It won't work. grin
Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by Orikinla(m): 11:08am On Jan 09, 2014
[size=28pt]Only intellectually re-tarded people are attacking the governor of the CBN.[/size]

10 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by kokoA(m): 11:10am On Jan 09, 2014
bxcode:
Two things are clearly involved, the present government is doing something wrong as u rightly said and some ethnic camp clamouring to get back that power at all cost and when they do, will it change anything Hell no!!!! The same vicious circle continues.
To an extent you are right. But haven't you noticed that some ethnic groups have a way of making Nigerians focus on national issues without being biased than others?
Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by bjdon: 11:11am On Jan 09, 2014
For me the problem here seems to be that EVERYONE in the Nigerian Govt is either incompetent or corrupt. Stella has been caught out in corruption and document forgery, if she had any shame whatsoever she should have resigned and if Jonathan had any sense of probity he would have sacked her. However Sannusi has not covered himself in glory. The governor of the CBN simply can't write a letter to the president claiming $50 Billion is missing and a few weeks later it's reveled that i's actually less than a 20% of that amount. Don't get me wrong $10 Billion dollars is quite a lot of money and if it's missing it needs to be investigated, but in the game of high politics, perception is everything. When you claim $50 Billion dollars is missing, even the most cynical Nigerian will stand up and listen. How could he get his facts so wrong?
Having said all this on balance, it is still quite sad that Jonathan can ask for him to resign, yet keep quiet on Stella. Did he not tell the world a commite headed by the NSA was to look into the matter? What was the outcome?

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by bxcode(m): 11:19am On Jan 09, 2014
kokoA: To an extent you are right. But haven't you noticed that some ethnic groups have a way of making Nigerians focus on national issues without being biased than others?
Honestly no, as far as political figures in this country are concerned, irrespective of where they come from.undecided
Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by Nobody: 11:19am On Jan 09, 2014
~Bluetooth:

Leave because he pointed out that taxpayers' money were missing ? This is the problem with jonathan's bootlickers, you attack the messanger instead of addressing the issues at stake. Sanusi was bad in your own thinking but tell me he was wrong when after the press conference Iweala and Diezani admitted that money was indeed missing.

You want people that will help you cover your corrupt administration but if they don't, you start name-calling. Well Jonathan can as well appoint Dokubo as the next Cbn governor so he will keep mum to the unprecedent corruption in this regime !

Tax payers money?? You are a big pig!
Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by MAYOWAAK: 11:22am On Jan 09, 2014
Sometime early in November last year, I saw a copy of a letter said to have been written by the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, to President Goodluck Jonathan. In the letter dated September 25, 2013, which I was handed only to read, the CBN Governor alleged that the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) failed to remit a whooping sum of $49.8 billion to the Federation Account within a period of 19 months between January 2012 and July 2013.

While drawing attention to some concerns earlier raised about what appeared to be shortfalls in remittances to the Federation Account, the CBN Governor noted that the failure of the NNPC to repatriate the said monies constitutes not only a violation of constitutional provisions but also of both Nigeria’s foreign exchange and pre-shipment inspection of exports laws. To address the issue, he recommended that the president should compel the NNPC to provide evidence for the disposal of all proceeds of crude sales diverted from the CBN and Federation Account; investigate crude oil lifting and swap contracts; and authorize the prosecution of suspects in money-laundering transactions.

After reading the letter, I came to certain conclusions. One, if indeed Sanusi authored the letter, it could mean that his relationship with the president had broken down to such an extent that he no longer had access to discuss critical issues in private. Two, given my little knowledge of our oil and gas industry, the amount quoted in the letter as unaccounted for was too huge to be accurate. Three, since the person from whom I saw the private letter was not our President, it stood to reason that it would eventually be in the public domain and could become a political weapon in the hands of the president’s opponents. Four, the issues raised in the said letter were similar to the revelations by a Switzerland-based advocacy group, the Berne Declaration, which accused the NNPC of conniving with some Swiss oil dealers to rip Nigeria of nearly $7 billion through the sale of crude oil below the market value.

As it would happen, about a month later, the story of Sanusi’s letter broke in the media. Unfortunately, at a time one expected a strong and robust defence from the NNPC, a statement personally signed by its Group Managing Director, Eng. Andrew Yakubu dismissed the CBN Governor’s letter as “political” before adding that it “is borne out of lack of understanding of how revenues from crude oil sales are remitted into the Federation Account.”

That Yakubu would impute political motive to a demand for his corporation to render account speaks to how petty politics trumps professionalism within the system today while there is only one of two conclusions to draw from his claim that Sanusi is ignorant of how the NNPC accounts work. It’s either that the man in charge of our Central Bank is the worst ignoramus in the country or the NNPC accounting process is so complex that it would take only some geniuses from Mars to understand the numbers.

Given Sanusi’s pedigree in the banking sector and his unquestionable intellect, even his worst enemies must come to no conclusion other than that he is anything but a dunce. We are then left with the option that the workings of the NNPC account would require some special education to understand. That is more plausible to believe and my own personal experience bears eloquent testimony to that fact though I will come back to this later.

The core mandates of the CBN include ensuring monetary and price stability; maintaining foreign reserves to safeguard the international value of the national currency while providing economic and financial advice to the Federal Government. If in the course of performing those functions, the CBN Governor notices that funds that should statutorily hit the Federation Account do not, it would be criminal for him not to bring the attention of the Number One citizen to such issues. To that extent, it is difficult to fault what Sanusi did but there are questions about his approach. That Sanusi got his figures wrong is neither here nor there, what I query in his letter is the assumption that the monies not captured by the CBN could only have been missing (or stolen) although to be fair to him, he did not expressly state that.

It is therefore unfortunate that the whole issue has been marred by politics. But to the extent that the letter has forced some reconciliation meetings between critical stakeholders, the intervention has added value to our system. And the suggestion that we should dismiss the whole issue because “only” $12 billion or $10.8 billion is yet to be “reconciled” as against the figure of $49.8 billion quoted by Sanusi is most unfortunate. If just one dollar of public money cannot be accounted for, it is an issue, or at least should be an issue, for any serious society.

What is galling really is the institutional arrogance of the NNPC that has always held on to the notion that it is not accountable to any authority except perhaps the presidency even when the revenues it earns belong to the three tiers of government. The corporation has never really felt it has anything to do with the federal ministry of finance, it treats the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission with contempt and, as it is now evident, it merely tolerates the CBN. The situation is not helped by the fact that the federal government and its agencies appropriate the Federation Account almost as sole owner. That then explains why the FAAC monthly meetings most often end up in acrimony.

However, I need to stress that within the NNPC today are not only respected and seasoned professionals who can hold their own against their colleagues from anywhere else in the world but also honest and patriotic Nigerians. The real challenge is the way the corporation has always been run almost as a slush fund by the federal government to undertake all manner of assignments. This much can be glimpsed from the latest NNPC clarification, this time to the allegation that the yet-to-be-“reconciled” amount of $12bn or $10.8bn out of the alleged unremitted $49.8bn is “missing”. The NNPC spokesman, Dr. Omar Farouk Ibrahim, said the monies “can be located in the expenses on some of the responsibilities which the Corporation carries out on behalf of the Federal Government with respect to the domestic crude oil utilization.”

Yet the truth of the matter is that the NNPC has been doing more than the repairs of broken pipelines or paying for controversial kerosene subsidies, as enumerated by Dr Ibrahim. If there is crisis in any state of the federation and there is need to mobilize resources for security agencies, the next thing you hear from whoever is the president of Nigeria is “call me the GMD”. If a leader of one of the ECOWAS countries visited and was genuflecting before our president about how rough things were for his country (and may be later behind closed doors, for himself), the instant instruction would be, “call me the GMD”. And I am aware that for several years (may be even now), the activities of the military Joint Task Force (JTF) were solely funded by the NNPC. Given such a situation, how would the Federation Account that is essentially dependent on oil revenues but is jointly owned by the federal government, states and local governments balance?

What the foregoing means in effect is that the problem of the NNPC predates President Jonathan though most critical observers believe that things have in recent time gone haywire. It is within that context that one can understand Sanusi’s letter. And we should thank him for it because for the first time, the NNPC has been forced to come out to render some account, even though in a manner that also shows very clearly that the corporation can still not get it. The figure we are talking about here (that is yet to be “reconciled”) is almost two trillion Naira and some NNPC fat cats believe they can just dismiss such a whooping amount that ordinarily belongs to the three tiers of government as no more than their operational cost without any rational explanation. But as I stated earlier, this is an issue that has engaged my attention for some years now though it may be necessary to explain and I crave the indulgence of readers for the digression.
On February 19, 2004, President Olusegun Obasanjo launched the Nigeria Extractive Industry Transparency Initiative (NEITI) as the Nigerian subset of a global initiative aimed at following due process and achieving transparency in payments by oil companies. He also appointed the membership of the National Stakeholders Working Group (NSWG) made up of 28 individuals from Civil Society (2); Media (1); Government (14); Indigenous and Multi- National companies (3); the Organised Private Sector (4); National Assembly (2) and State’s (Regional) Houses of Assembly (2).

While Mrs Obiageli Ezekwesilli was appointed the Chairperson, President Olusegun Obasanjo, in a rare act of magnanimity also appointed me to represent the Nigerian media in the NSWG at a time I was very critical of him and his government. Other members were Engr. Funsho Kupolokun, then GMD of NNPC; Engr. Phil Chukwu who then headed NAPIMS; Mrs. A. Lawan-Ali who was at that time the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources and Dr. Bright Okogu, the current DG, Budget who was at that period Head, Oil & Gas Accounting Unit at the Federal Ministry of Finance. There were also Mrs. Gwen Nwachukwu, then Director of Revenue, Federal Ministry of Finance; Dr. Aboki Zhawa, then Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Solid Minerals and Mrs Ifueko Omoigui-Okauru, then Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) boss.

Other members of the founding NSWG were Mr. Chris Haynes, then Managing Director of NLNG; Mr. B.O.N. Okafor, then Desk Officer, Oil Accounts Research Department at the CBN; Mr. Hassan Tukur, then Director, Nigeria-Sao Tome and Principe Joint Development Authority (JDA); Mr. Joseph Ajiboye, then Auditor-General of the Federation; Senator Maeba Lee, then Chairman, Senate Petroleum Committee; Hon. Dr. Cairo Ojougboh, then Chairman, House of Representatives Petroleum Committee; Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, the current Rivers’ Governor who was at that period speaker of the state House of Assembly and Hon. Kawu Peto Dukku Speaker, Gombe State House of Assembly.

There were also Mr. J.R. Pryor, then Managing Director of Chevron-Texaco; Mr. Basil Omiyi, then Managing Director, Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC); Dr. Imo Itsueli Chairman, Dubri Oil Co. Ltd.; Dr. H. Assisi Asobie, then President, Transparency in Nigeria (TIN); Dr. Louis Brown Ogbeifun, then President of PENGASSAN; Mohammed Hayatu-Deen, representing the Nigeria Economic Summit Group (NESG) as well as Mr. Gbite Adeniji, Mr. Trevor Akindele and Engr. (Mrs) J. Maduka.

While our assignment lasted, we met at least once in a month as a whole body and we also had different committee sessions. But at our very first workshop attended by President Obasanjo, a member of the civil society (can’t remember who now) said our assignment was akin to attempting to instill transparency into a secret society. That summation turned out to be very apt because but for the tenacity of Ezekwesili and the strong backing Obasanjo gave us, NEITI would have been dead on arrival. The two Multinational chief executives in the committee told us bluntly at one of our early meetings that there was nothing NEITI could do differently because as one put it, “we cannot re-invent the wheel.” But perhaps what I found rather interesting was that the NNPC people, including those we usually invite for our meetings, were equally as cynical of our assignment, while their positions on industry issues were never different from that of the multinational oil companies.

It is noteworthy that despite serious challenges (and due principally to the efforts of Ezekwesili who had Obasanjo’s strong support), we succeeded in drafting the NEITI bill which we saw through passage in the National Assembly and we conducted the first physical, process and financial audits of payments in the upstream sectors. Those audit reports, and the interactions we had with critical stakeholders in the course of our sessions, were most revealing of the challenge of our oil and gas sector.

For instance, according to the financial audit report for the years 1999 to 2004, “there are remarkable differences in the monthly payments of domestic crude made by NNPC Treasury and the actual amount received into the Federation Account”, while on the Cash Call, the reports states that “the percentage share of the Approved Budget Performance (ABP) sometimes do not agree arithmetically on a linear calculation in the case of NNPC.”

The physical audit which “materially verified the volumes of crude exported by NNPC”, was as revealing: “These volumes lifted by NNPC, which have been derived from the physical reconciliation of flows, are however, slightly different from sales volumes recorded by COMD (crude oil marketing department). Volumes used by the companies for Royalty and PPT show significant differences between the reconciled hydrocarbon flows and the taxation and royalty returns… DPR was not able to provide us with procedures and guidelines to be used in measuring crude and liquid flows throughout the system, with the exception of a ‘Manual of Procedure Guides for the Petroleum Inspectorate’, which is not comprehensive in this respect. There seems to be no process for keeping procedures up to date and in line with international best practice. The metering infrastructure and the records do not allow the hydrocarbon balance to address the question of unaccounted oil…”

What the foregoing suggests is that with our oil and gas sector, it has always been a case of the more you look, the less you see but because the then GMD of NNPC was a member of our committee, the corporation commenced a remediation process. While some efforts were made as a result of pressure from President Obasanjo, it is very clear now that those lessons have been lost. And we are only talking of the upstream sector where there is even a semblance of accountability because the transactions are basically international. The downstream sector with all the subsidy payments is another story altogether.

Interestingly, my NEITI engagement ended at about the time I would join government in 2007 and that gave me further insights into the management of our oil and gas sector from a rather vantage position. That then explains my conviction that until we have the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) in place and there is genuine commitment to repositioning the sector, there can never be real transparency and accountability in the management of our oil and gas assets. And it will continue to be difficult to follow the money, even by the CBN.

However angry the president may be about the leakage of Sanusi’s private letter to him, I believe he should look at the bigger picture. Except of course he is certain there was bad faith on the part of Sanusi (and here he should be wary of mischief makers who tell tales they cannot substantiate), it would be unfair to take the issue personal. Bringing fears about possible financial leakages to the president’s notice, even if via a letter, is within Sanusi’s remit as CBN Governor and to foreclose such interventions would be to expose our system to serious danger.

President Jonathan says he is running a transformational administration. It’s a nice catchphrase. Now, there are opportunities for him to deliver some significant lasting legacies in the oil and gas sector. Sanusi has exposed a glaring weakness with regards to its opacity which has been further confirmed by the responses from the NNPC. If the president can deliver on a PIB that will reposition the sector and make it more transparent and accountable, he will be making positive history.

The foremost aspiration in the energy sector should be to transform NNPC into a national oil company (NOC). This strategy has in other countries introduced value chain, including power generation, refining for export and ownership of LNG vessels for the export of their specialized cargo. In those countries, the NOCs sell their shares, they access financial markets at home and abroad to raise funds to finance their investment activities and they don't over indulge cash-calls. They pay taxes, royalties, lease rentals and dividends to their national governments. They patronize own country businesses in rigs construction and servicing, and even ship building. The day the NNPC becomes a national oil company with equities floated both at home and in leading world exchanges, then it would begin to operate as a business rather than a pot of cheap cash for a succession of political leaders. If President Jonathan can lead us in that direction, I have no doubt in my mind that he would leave indelible marks in the sector.

However, we should also not divorce the current brouhaha over Sanusi’s letter from the politics of succession at the CBN and that is why Aso Rock needs to be circumspect. What is important in the days ahead is for the President to get a competent person who also comes with a measure of integrity, probably announce and send his name to the Senate by late March or early April, and allow for a proper transition period until the end of Sanusi’s tenure in the first week of June this year.

The strategic import of Sanusi’s letter is in what it indicates about the dysfunction in our oil accounting system. It is not about lack of expertise on the part of either the CBN or the NNPC. What is at issue is the extant role of the CBN as the nation’s treasurer of last resort and the urgent need for the NNPC to be more transparent in its dealings. To impute political motive into Sanusi’s letter is to miss the whole point. Any attempt to force the CBN Governor out of office before the expiration of his term through the subterfuge of an unsolicited “terminal leave” would not only be illegal but indeed damaging for the administration.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/sanusi-s-letter-jonathan-s-burden-/168368/

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by MMBologi(m): 11:23am On Jan 09, 2014
we thought the president was human when he used ''i had no shoes'' rubbish for his campaign thinking he would know what the common people ar going through.
Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by kalakutta: 11:23am On Jan 09, 2014
Sanusi should do the honourable thing and resign. Today if your bank account officer tells you that your bank released fall year end reports and in actuality they are facing a liquidity crisis, will you still maintain account with them? The CBN governor is not a banker for a beer parlour but for a nation. He should have crosschecked his facks before sending such a letter to the president. He should do the honourable thing and resign. His utterances have been a great diservice to the nation. The imports of his statements have hurt the economy badly. To say 49 Billion USD is missing, is akin to saying Governmnet did not function for 18 months. There's a grand conspiracy to undermine this government by hook or crook all in the name of power shift. In the last 6 months this man has implemented policies that have damaged the economy. from his ill planned cashless system to the movement ofpublic sector funds to CBN to the change from RDAS to WDAS and others. In the past three months dollar has gone up by about 17 naira. Yet the man is talking about managing inflation. Resign and let us have peace. Afterall he said he was interested in being Emir.
Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by biodunid: 11:25am On Jan 09, 2014
You amaze me. Soludo gave the contract for polymer and even appears to have collected a bribe on it but you are so biased you are blaming it on the man that came in to clean up this and other Soludo messes.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by biodunid: 11:26am On Jan 09, 2014
Like Clueless?

mikeansy: Sanusi has no integrity whatsoever

he is like every other Nigerian in public officer

very corrupt and no morals
Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by eluquenson(m): 11:27am On Jan 09, 2014
The end of an Era for Sanusi
Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by wirinet(m): 11:29am On Jan 09, 2014
I refuse to believe this phone conversation took place, if it did then it confirms president Jonathan is actually as clueless as he is accused. Even if he has no idea of what is inside the constitution he is supposed to be operating, he should have advisers that are conversant with the constitution.
President Jonathan should know that he has no powers to ask the CBN governor to resign, so I am shocked he is denigrating the office of the president by even arguing with sanusi over the issue. Now that sanusi refused, what can he do?

There are so many areas which the president goofed. If he has evidence that Sanusi breached the official secrete act by leaking an official government correspondence to the press, he should have hard fact evidence to present to Nigerians and the Senate if he wants sanusi removed. Instead what we have is unfounded allegations.

Then why is president Jonathan not concerned about the unremitted $10.8 billions (as confirmed by the finance minister )? Why have the accounts not been reconciled? The period we are talking about is from January 2012 to June 2013 , when are they going to reconcile the accounts? after Jonathan leaves office? That $10.8 billion does not belong to the FG alone but also to the other federating units - ie the states and local governments, so the FG is still owing the states and local governments 45% of that money.

president Jonathan prefers wasting energy curing pimples while leaving scabies.

4 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by dokunbam(m): 11:30am On Jan 09, 2014
on what grounds?
Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by biodunid: 11:31am On Jan 09, 2014
The real problem is that as banker to the govt and regulator of all banks SLS has the dirt on every thief in this country so Clueless dare not move against him if he doesn't want all the facts on the billions stolen by him and all the others out in the public domain. I dare him to fire SLS by force or even send his assassins after him. If SLS drops dead today some very interesting documents are likely to show up in papers globally.

Why do you think they couldn't complain even when he gave N10b to a university? Can even Shoeless give that much to NDU? The guy knows so much about them all that he is essentially UNTOUCHABLE especially as he doesn't desire a second term.

mikeansy: And by the way, while the CBN Governor has a term limit not to be altered by the President, they do not have immunity from prosecution.

If the Presidency has evidence of corruption against Sanusi, they should send EFCC after him now! Let him answer the allegations against him, at that point am sure he will have to make a decision to be either sent to jail while in office or resign!
Re: President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused by akdjr(m): 11:34am On Jan 09, 2014
Are you a learner? don't you know the oil is for the nation not part of the nation. leave sentiment and be heard! I rep Nigeria from Warri
ImperialYoruba: This whole drama is coming from a sense of entitlement by the President. At the root of the letter is oil revenue and the oil comes from Delta, not Kano. So who is Sanusi to raise alarm about what the owner of the resource choose to do with their money? Jonathan is acting as head of a clan, he is not Presidential at all.

It is lack of tact for the President of a Nation to say out of many ethnicities in his country a particular one is his pillar of support, and it is even very uncharismatic to defend and shield criminals on account of their ethnic background.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Kwankwaso Climbs Ladder To Inspect A Flyover Project: Pic / Reuters UK Predict GEJ Victory In 2015 / Buhari And Niger-Delta Dialogue Team Meet + What PMB Told Them - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.