Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,494 members, 7,823,156 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? (65603 Views)

Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? / How Did Nigerians React To Colonial Masters During Colonial Era / Why Do Nigerians Get Married? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by iamord(m): 9:56pm On Mar 15, 2015
chrisviral:

If he calls a "bag" slave, ain't nothing wrong with it, get the point, I don't see a ghananian and start calling him Ghana must go or make such remarks when I see them No...

When I go to a super-market (store) here in nigeria to buy a plastic bag, I simply call it a name that it's commonly known for, "please can I have a Ghana must go bag?" sometimes I don't even emphasise on the Ghana, im just after the bag.. get it now...

it's naturally a bag. And short and less stressful pronouncing it 'bag' . What then is the use of the lengthy Ghana must go bag '? Just call it Ghana must go! Cos it has relieved the functions of the word ' bag` according to your words.
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by ireneony(f): 9:56pm On Mar 15, 2015
Headlamp1:

*Know
*small
*decent
*forsaken

Chai, English no be ur way atall. I guarantee you no fit ever sabi type/speak correct English in your life grin

English language don suffer! grin grin grin
you don't have anything meaningful to contribute order than to become a worthless CIA on nairaland.
go to romance section where you belongs.
snitch!

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Fulaman198(m): 9:56pm On Mar 15, 2015
all4naija:

You have always enslaved yourself to fools from Ghana, you Chadian immigrant.

I can't help but be enslaved by a beautiful bodacious babe. I'm still a 'V' but I'd be more than happy to surrender to the curves of a Ghanaian woman without arguing with her

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Fulaman198(m): 9:57pm On Mar 15, 2015
ireneony:
should I drop your usernameundecided
you opened a thread like this; beauty of funali ladies...
stop beating around the bushgrin

It wasn't me though maybe another Fulani guy. You can drop the name. Most definitely not me I wanna get a good laugh

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Truckpusher(m): 9:57pm On Mar 15, 2015
Bawss1:

Fair enough. I also share the view that because we don't have a people oriented government, as you put it, that we remain poorly developed.

The question that the OP asked still remains, where did Nigerians get their sense of superiority from? I mean aside from our large population why is it that it appears that the average Nigerian thinks he is superior to other Africans. (One only needs to read the comments on this forum to see this in display) Is there anything you think that makes this attitude a valid one?
Attributing any sense of superiority to Nigerians alone is an injustice against Nigerians .
Go to different countries and see how they see and perceive themselves .
Pride and a fine sense of superiority shapens the ideology of any nation that wants to be respected.When we yell 'racism' isn't racism a form of sense of superiority ? Even if they are based on some shameful history.
Nigerians are not the only nation guilty of this ,you need to do a little research to conclude that it is a Nigerian thing alone .

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by V0lv0(f): 9:57pm On Mar 15, 2015
ireneony:
I wanna ask this question
why do Ghanaians hate their skin so much?
why do Ghanaians loves to lick the Whitman's butt?
why do Hollywood use mixed race actors/actresses, even when 99.8% of Ghanaians are like burnt offering?

why are most ghanians women short with an horse a.as?

why do Ghanaians love Nigeria somuch, but they will pretend to hate us?

Ghanaians don't hate their skin. It's you guys who hate our skin by the numerous terms you use on us and the bleaching phenomenon in your country.

Hollywood? If you mean Gollywood here is a post from chocolatecandy that explains this very well: about ghanaians using only mixedraced actors .....The truth is (from my observation) is that most of the movies u see with these talentless mixed raced ghanaians are produced by nigerians such as frank rajah and pascal amanfo( frank rajah actually discovered about 90% of these mixed actors ). the old ghanaian movies before nadia buari,van vicker, majid, juliet ibrahim etc were not like that. they had little or no mixed raced casts. But its funny how our movies only started recieving much attention in Nigeria and Africa when we started using these mixed guys and we both know why and its not bcause they are fantastic actors.

when u watch movies made by Shirley frimpong-Manso (adams apples, perfect picture), leila djansi (ties that bind), kwaw ansah ( love brewed in the african pot)etc u'll notice their casts depect the average ghanaian who is either darkskinned or light not mixed . my point is that only a few movie producers use them and unfortunately its only those movies u see.
Not saying there arent many mixed raced folks in gh but these producers keep using them in our movies as if when ur in ghana half the populace is mixed. 

Why are Ghanaian women short with a horse as is akin to saying all Nigerian women are like you cheesy cheesy

Why do Ghanaians love Nigerians. Well honestly not all Ghanaians love or even like Nigerians. Some do and some don't so those that do have their reasons, am not an expert in that field. Anymore questions?

2 Likes

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Fulaman198(m): 9:57pm On Mar 15, 2015
V0lv0:
You should come to Ghana we have them in abundance lol. But don't tell royalp

Please don't tell her either, she would skin me alive
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by JiggamanGh: 9:58pm On Mar 15, 2015
all4naija:
What a getsure to feel good about your peasant nature. Go get some swag like Nigerians, you i d i o t!

My friend is looking for a greencard. your trailer trash mom has a sister?

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Mar 15, 2015
all4naija:
Smh...! It is not funny! You've just proved how ignorant and primitive you are. That is a clear evidence you detest Western education like your Boko Haram brothers in the North.
guy I don't support ur attack on Fulaman198 o... d guy ain't troublesome and I don't think he deserves d treatment u re giving him.... pls o...
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by chrisviral(m): 9:59pm On Mar 15, 2015
iamord:
it's naturally a bag. And short and less stressful calling it 'bag' . What then is the use of the lengthy Ghana must go bag '? Just call it Ghana must go! Cos it has relieved the functions of the word ' bag`

Haba brother, me and you just dey go back and forth naa grin cheesy
Oya I will warn my siblings to stop calling it that.

JiggamanGh:

Your government should hv stopped its citizens from referring to the bag as such. That shows hoe civilized Ghanaians are that we don't even bother nigerians for referring to bag as such.

Okay eyaf do

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Fulaman198(m): 9:59pm On Mar 15, 2015
all4naija:
Smh...! It is not funny! You've just proved how ignorant and primitive you are. That is a clear evidence you detest Western education like your Boko Haram brothers in the North.

Mi wi'i ma maccudo, ada andi dum woni maccudo?
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by lastpage: 9:59pm On Mar 15, 2015
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
This is not a rant, but they are fond of sentences like ,'ordinary Kenya, 'Cameroon of all countries', 'monkey' when referring to their neighbors? Etc .'

Well coming from the most populous African-black country on earth, I'm very disappointed. Thank u

Let me help you a lil'bit.

That "superiority complex" si HISTORICAL!
It comes from way far off in Nigerian history.

Let me take you back to the 60's and 70's> I want you to situate yourself in that era.

Back then, Nigeria was the country to have the first TV station in Africa
First Multi Storey building
First Lady to drive a car

So many "first-first" things started in Nigeria

Back then, our African neighbours were like comparing a village in Umuahaia to say Victoria Island!

Back then, Nigeria was "superior" in all areas and index of superiority.
Even in sports like track and field, Nigeria was far ahead.

I dont even want to mention the days when Ghananians were shoe-shiners to Nigerians because they might feel offended.

So, that "superiority complex" is REAL AND HISTORICAL.... it in the genes!

But TODAY, No thanks to our clueless leaders who mismanaged and lootd this country to its knees.
Kids of nowadays dont even know "the Nigeria of their fathers"... when the name "Nigerian" open doors for you in Europe and the Americas!
When White people "beg" for Nigerian Visa,... When the Naira was trading at $1 to 75K (Yes, $2 => #1:50K)

So, my friend, its not just a "complex"..... l guess you will not know because you were either too young, unborn or did not have anyone old person/History books to tell you some 'tales" about this "blessed but ruined country" called Nigeria!

Let just hope those "glory days" do not return because you will see Nigerians in their "true colours" ... and dem tight, ..with swagger like madt! shocked shocked

If you want those days back (not the "empty superiority of today),... We can start by voting out "stewpid, unpatriotic, inept and clueless leaders" out of office, come March 28.

Lastpage!

4 Likes

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by iamord(m): 10:00pm On Mar 15, 2015
Lala247:

Yh nothing wrong but u come in ere hating on nigerians just cuz we r ontop ... Its not our fault we r the most popular .
lol hate?? Lol actually I don't. Got better things on my mind. And the immature beef is not one.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Fulaman198(m): 10:00pm On Mar 15, 2015
lygn19:
guy I don't support ur attack on Fulaman198 o... d guy ain't troublesome and I don't think he deserves d treatment u re giving him.... pls o...

Loll dont mind him, we've crossed paths before. He's the epitome of modern day white male bootlicker

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by ireneony(f): 10:00pm On Mar 15, 2015
Fulaman198:

It wasn't me though maybe another Fulani guy. You can drop the name. Most definitely not me I wanna get a good laugh
I know you are lying, I have been a guest on that site for so long and you both write alike, same topics everyone.

let me ask you this question, where do u base?
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Fulaman198(m): 10:00pm On Mar 15, 2015
ireneony:
I know you are lying, I have been a guest on that site for so long and you both write alike, same topics everyone.

let me ask you this question, where do u base?

Abuja
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by V0lv0(f): 10:00pm On Mar 15, 2015
Fulaman198:

Please don't tell her either, she would skin me alive
grin grin don't worry your secret is safe with me smiley
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by UnimkeAk(m): 10:01pm On Mar 15, 2015
iamord:
oga no dey waste origin. I suppose kiss inside . grin

Ok; I don hear, na coke bottle I go use

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Mar 15, 2015
iamord:
lol hate?? Lol actually I don't. Got better things on my mind. And the immature beef is not one.

Wasnt beefing tho undecided

Ok wteva dont knw wt ur on about to b honest
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Truckpusher(m): 10:02pm On Mar 15, 2015
keppyy:

Never knew you are a Port-harcourt boy.

What part joor?
Pm me if you're beautiful.
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Mar 15, 2015
Fulaman198:

I can't help but be enslaved by a beautiful bodacious babe. I'm still a 'V' but I'd be more than happy to surrender to the curves of a Ghanaian woman without arguing with her
Hmmmmmm Fulaman198 so u like women... cheesy... smbodi must hear dz...

2 Likes

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by iamord(m): 10:03pm On Mar 15, 2015
Rennee:

Don't even think about it. Ghanaians would never do that.. lol
of course why should we. Is immature and absurd. It then makes me wonder why Nigeria sees nothing absurd in theirs

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Mar 15, 2015
Mr Ghanaian man, please be realistic! Ghana must go is a slang for a bag! Yes, it was because of the mass exodus of Ghanaians in Nigeria back to Ghana, Government cannot stop us from using a slang because it is a trivial issue!

Use your brain, how can a Government of a nation of over 140 million people ask us to stop using a slang? Ghana has bigger problems than "Nigerians call a type of bag -> Ghana must go!"

JiggamanGh:

Your government should hv stopped its citizens from referring to the bag as such. That shows hoe civilized Ghanaians are that we don't even bother nigerians for referring to bag as such.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Truckpusher(m): 10:05pm On Mar 15, 2015
SIRTee15:

High human capital should reflect in the way the society is organised.
Can u say Nigeria is an organised nation.
We are making progress and a lot of work is needed and we'll do it.
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by iamord(m): 10:05pm On Mar 15, 2015
JiggamanGh:

Okay just because something is the norm doesn't mean is right.

At one point of time it was the norm to put Jewish in concetration camps. Was that right because it was the norm

At one time blacks were slaves in america where they sold children into silvery and used black children as alligator bates. Was that also right.

What if during slavery time, they name a farming tool as Nigerians must dig or Nigerians must pick. Would you be happy to hear that.
valid points. Low brain iq holders can't just dephicer

4 Likes

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Fulaman198(m): 10:06pm On Mar 15, 2015
lygn19:
Hmmmmmm Fulaman198 so u like women... cheesy... smbodi must hear dz...

Loll who doesn't like women
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Fulaman198(m): 10:07pm On Mar 15, 2015
V0lv0:
grin grin don't worry your secret is safe with me smiley

Thank you beautiful
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Fulaman198(m): 10:07pm On Mar 15, 2015
iamord:
valid points. Low brain iq holders can't just dephicer

No doubt
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by JiggamanGh: 10:08pm On Mar 15, 2015
teeowl:
Mr Ghanaian man, please be realistic! Ghana must go is a slang for a bag! Yes, it was because of the mass exodus of Ghanaians in Nigeria back to Ghana, Government cannot stop us from using a slang because it is a trivial issue!

Use your brain, how can a Government as a nation of over 140 million to stop using a slang? Ghana has bigger problems than "Nigerians call a type bag -> Ghana must go!"

While is not illegal to say the word nigga non blacks get political backlash for using the word. So yes a new name can be implemented for the bag starting with your government calling it by a different name.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Bawss1(m): 10:09pm On Mar 15, 2015
Truckpusher:
Attributing any sense of superiority to Nigerians alone is an injustice against Nigerians .
Go to different countries and see how they see and perceive themselves .
Pride and a fine sense of superiority shapens the ideology of any nation that wants to be respected.When we yell 'racism' isn't racism a form of sense of superiority ? Even if they are based on some shameful history.
Nigerians are not the only nation guilty of this ,you need to do a little research to conclude that it is a Nigerian thing alone .

I have never been on any other African forum apart from this one so can't say if this sense of superiority is widespread. However judging from this forum and several local newspaper readers comments the number of Nigerians who talk down on other Africans appear to be in the majority. Even on this thread which is several pages long one sees this " complex", what prompts these people to think that all other Africans cower at their feet?
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by iamord(m): 10:09pm On Mar 15, 2015
V0lv0:
Thank you Lord cheesy
grin did I hear a shout of freedom!!!! grin

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by V0lv0(f): 10:10pm On Mar 15, 2015
Fulaman198:

Thank you beautiful
cheesy cheesy you so sweet smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (21) (Reply)

What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People / Oba of benin Erediauwa Visit The Ooni Of Ife On His Ascension To The Throne / Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi At Gabriel Igbinedion 85th Birthday (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.