Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,290 members, 7,815,501 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:31 PM

What Is The Nigerian Dream? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Nigerian Dream? (8377 Views)

Dear Nigerians, Sorry, President Buhari Is Not The Nigerian Dream / My Biafra Nigerian Dream, why I'm one Nigeria now. / President Muhammadu Buhari Must Restore The Nigerian Dream Of Our Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by raldsfield(m): 9:24pm On Jul 17, 2006
I have not read that National Anthem in years, their are alot of strong words in that anthem man.

That was a dream, their where two many dreams in that anthem, I think it should be reduced to that we can live up to it.

As for pat Utomi, he is just a dream too, until he get there, I can not say if he is the Messiah. Me am not a prophet.
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by tianshie(m): 10:27pm On Jul 17, 2006
@old gloria
The thread reads 'What's the Nigerian dream?' not 'What's your Nigerian dream?'

Get a life b*itch!
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by OldGlory1(m): 10:36pm On Jul 17, 2006
Tianshie

Like i said, i see you as a Victim of circumstance.
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by my2cents(m): 11:32pm On Jul 17, 2006
All dis talk of Pat Utomi sef.

I don't know the guy myself, but are we sure that, assuming he becomes president, he won't fall for the same temptations as did wole soyinka (fed road safety) and tai solarin (may his sould RIP - pplez bank)?

Something to think about folks.
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by raldsfield(m): 11:45pm On Jul 17, 2006
Pat Utomi is a Business Man,

Started and Own the Lagos Business School

BusniessDay News Paper,

Platinum Bank, think they have changed the Name. These are the ones I know.

He is a man of Character.

When I was in Nigeria years ago, NTA chase him around for his opinion on economic issues.

I have hope in the guy more than I have in anyother person contesting for the Leadership of Nigeria.
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by hotangel2(f): 12:15am On Jul 18, 2006
Nigerian dream is to Make the 'american dream' come true.

But i must agree with Gomer. I think he makes sense.
Gomer:

Arise, O compatriots,
Nigeria's call obey
To serve our fatherland
With love and strength and fait[/b]h
The labor of our heroes past
Shall never be in vain
[b]To serve with heart and might
One nation bound in freedom,

Peace and unity.

Oh God of creation,
Direct our noble cause
Guide our leaders right
Help our youths the truth to know
In love and honesty to grow
And living just and true
Great lofty heights attain
To build a nation where peace
And justice shall reign.

I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.

That is the Nigerian Dream
Its been staring at you since you were born!

Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by walel: 1:18am On Jul 18, 2006
@ Glory you must know a lot of people with aspirations to leave naija, personally sha i believe the Nigerian Dream is same as the American Dream to be able to afford the essentials of life its just that we have a longer way to go in 9aija personally my own naija dream is to be able to go back home some day soon.
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by my2cents(m): 2:26am On Jul 18, 2006
oga radsfield,

u cd b right. that notwithstanding, u hvnt answered my question. he is human after all and not immune to temptation. Remember Tai Solarin and how we swore never to wear suit in his life. As soon as IBB give am chairman of pplez bank, what happened?
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by Chxta(m): 9:31am On Jul 18, 2006
Gomer you are my man!
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by Gomer: 9:47am On Jul 18, 2006
@hotangel

like i said earlier which got mixed up in 2cents quote and i repeat- every goal starts with a dream, every invention started with a dream, every achievement started with a dream.
Hey guys, give this place a chance. Things are really wacked now but don't you think that somehow, sometime things will get better?
But you know, its got to start with US, from the inside it comes on to the outside.
We point fingers, we blame the government, we blame the so called leaders we have
Have you ever ran for office, won or held a post before?
Try it, you'd have a renewed admiration for your president
Who is the freaking government- You.
It don't matter where the change starts, even if its just a little corner of this country that changes- hey thats something.

we are always dissing this place and i wonder when we are going to stop

@chxta, thanks and am a babe!
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by kheme(m): 9:50am On Jul 18, 2006
I don't even know what the american dream is!!! grin
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by Gomer: 9:55am On Jul 18, 2006
Pat Utomi?!!!
Please can we talk about people who have given us results?
What has he done
He can talk well, he has the words but does he also have the works?
Donald Duke is the man- see what he's done to Cross- river state. He's turned the place around- He's got words and he's got work too!
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by Chxta(m): 10:00am On Jul 18, 2006
Gomer:

@chxta, thanks and am a babe!

Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by Gomer: 10:03am On Jul 18, 2006
Chxta:

kiss
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by raldsfield(m): 10:12am On Jul 18, 2006
MY2cent,

There is nothing to fear than fear itself,

I was in Nigeria 1999 and I did not vote, same happened in 2003.

I felt it was a waste of time, what is happening today in Nigeria tell it all.

If Pat wanted to be like the others it would have been easy for him every easy.

The man have chosen his own life style, and it is the right one. He is the host of a TV program that

analysis the situation in Nigeria. I think he should be given a chance. Anything can happen doesn't mean we should give it a try. If i could see the future I was have confirmed the best person to make the president of My beloved country.

All I want is to return to my country and be given an opportunity to serve my country to the best of my ability and an environment to be able to do just that.

pat is a successful business man, to be one you have to be a good leader, putting round pegs in round holes.

I think he is the man, If I will have faith in a man, I have faith in Pat Utomi, before this man came forward I was willing to dance with Maruwa, but I knew he is action mixed share the money kind of guy. He did just that in Lagos.

This guy has contacts in the international business world, he knows the importance of social infrastructure as a way to attract investors. Yes he is an intellectual, but he is a successful business man, hence a good leader. He has not associated himself with this government that proves something to you.

I have been his fan since 1996, then I just admired his views about the indices about the Nigerian economy. Being a good president is about commanding the respect of your followers not but force, intimidation or by play tricks, he commands respect.

I believe that Pat is the man that will bring most of us willing to return back home, that is if we plan going back soon.
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by kolov(m): 10:17am On Jul 18, 2006
are u sure u r somewhere outside naija?
cos this don't sound like english to me even if a portuguese was speakin it.
my bad brotha grin
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by raldsfield(m): 10:53am On Jul 18, 2006
Gomer,

Just stop telling how had it is to run an office, When you have a square peg in a round hole what do you expect,

It is like saying it is hard for a Police man to do his job right, hard for a teacher to teach well, hard for someone to cook well.

If you are not good for the job, you should find a way of making yourself better, or look for another job.

I work with people everyday, I have managers, they have managers. Leadership is about Managing people.

That could be the hardest thing to do on earth, but if you can do that then you shouldn't be in leadership position, it is that simple.

People just contesting for election to go and steal money is what we have all over the country. They don't know what they are getting into. When they get there they mess up. They have no plan than to enrich themselves, who pays the price the common man on the street does.

By choice I will love to be in Nigeria, but right now you could die trying to do the right thing. We need a man of character.
Unbiased, non tested. New with no political affiliations. Not connected in anyway if you know what I mean.
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by Mariory(m): 11:08am On Jul 18, 2006
How can someone with no political affiliations be nominated by a party not to talk about winning a presidential election
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by Gomer: 1:09pm On Jul 18, 2006
raldsfield,
not all politicians who contest go in to enrich themselves
some of them have visions to make a change
some of them have those visions but when they go in, chai, all that money
when it comes to the issue of leadership in this country, its so very touchy
i believe the change is going to come from us, this our generation
i dont know, what do you think?
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by otokx(m): 1:12pm On Jul 18, 2006
@Gomer; are you at obudu cattle ranch?
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by ckenneths(m): 2:35pm On Jul 18, 2006
The Nigerian dream is alive, it's potent and it's working. For those of us who have always believed in Nigeria, we have started reaping the benefits. Folks, join us later if you can. And for those doubting Thomases, you will be watching us and wondering what is happening. See ya at the top.
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by Chxta(m): 2:48pm On Jul 18, 2006
Insh'Allah
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by Gomer: 2:53pm On Jul 18, 2006
otokx:

@Gomer; are you at obudu cattle ranch?

@Otokx!
Not at the moment
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by my2cents(m): 3:16pm On Jul 18, 2006
oga ckenneths:

Let me preface by saying (not because I want to announce but cos many pple who chat with many right off the bat make stupid assumptions and draw yeye conclusions cool): Though I am not there, I visit quite often and communicate with those there and those who go/return from there quite often to know "what is on ground". Having said that, it is my opinion that though there is a Nigerian dream, it is disproportionately distributed. It is being realized by few who to make matters worse, *for the most part* want to reap the benefits alone.

Sure, the "dream" will only b achieved by individuals relying on their God-given talent (any talent that makes pple embezzle money or make money via ofala shrine means doesnt count grin) and not handouts from the government. That notwithstanding, the govt needs to provide the conducive environment for individuals to develop the talent in them.

Just a thought wink
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by soulpatrol(f): 7:22pm On Jul 18, 2006
the nigerian dream is to get outta nigeria! simple grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by Hugoboi(m): 7:24pm On Jul 18, 2006
make so much money dat i'd slep on a matress of it
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by sage(m): 10:17pm On Jul 18, 2006
Old Glory

I second u at that. Most Nigerians would jump ship at the least opportunity.

And guyz make una stop to de dream dream cos u fit no wake up again grin
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by ToyM28(f): 1:46am On Jul 19, 2006
Gosh!! I never though Nigerians had a "NIGERIAN DREAM". I tut we were one of the only people that just lived day to day. The average Nigerian dream if we do have one is to be rich. But the means at which we attain d dreams is non of business.

A sociologist said "an ideal soceity is one, in which the people have goals, and an equal empahis is placed on the way they attain these goal".

Nigeria is not by any means an ideal soceity, so as for us having the Nigerian dream, dont crack ur heads thinking of one. We are a mostly greedy nation, only caring about material wealth. So in that case, wealth is the "NIGERIAN DREAM"
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by Nutter(m): 2:27am On Jul 19, 2006
Nigerian dream? grin There is no such thing. It’s a contradiction in terms.
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by ToyM28(f): 2:35am On Jul 19, 2006
yes oh my broda, we have no nigerian dream!
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by my2cents(m): 2:37am On Jul 19, 2006
Nutter:

I blv the word you are looking for is oxymoron LOL
Re: What Is The Nigerian Dream? by ToyM28(f): 2:40am On Jul 19, 2006
My2cents dat was a really good word. i hard completely forgotten about it! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gbenga Daniel: I'm Being Persecuted Like Jesus' / Impunity Worse In Rivers APC Than PDP, Says Abe / FCT To Buy N295M Spy Balloon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.