Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,323 members, 7,811,953 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:22 AM

Ugly Britain - Travel (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ugly Britain (106733 Views)

Three Nigerians Arrested At Sham Wedding In Britain / Nigerians, Highest Number Of African Criminals In Britain - UK Home Office / Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (26) (Go Down)

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 1:46am On Nov 28, 2008
more pictures of dirty britain, knock yourself out

Re: Ugly Britain by AngieFan(f): 8:26am On Nov 28, 2008
hahaha, nice try! The pictures you posted are pathetic! Where are the people living among that rubbish? Are those residential or urban areas like the ones I posted of Nigeria? In case it escaped you a derelict house is exactly what it is. .  .DERELICT!! Read your dictionary and find out what that means. lol.

That aside I commend you for finally learning how to post some pics. Those British articles you were posting about the not so good things in my country only proves that we have our shit on the radar and things are being done to eradicate such issues with people being brought to justice for their crimes and policies being put in place. Can you say the same about Nigeria? Nope. lol

This how tens of millions Nigerians live every day. Again CLEAN UP YOUR SHIT! We in Britain have ours under control unlike you in incompetents in Nigeria.

[size=20pt]

CLEAN UP YOUR SHIT!
[/size]
Re: Ugly Britain by sage(m): 8:36am On Nov 28, 2008
who is this guy posting bad pictures of Britain?

Is that the best u can do?

The whole Nigeria is like a DUMPSTER. You dont need to get secluded pics to post bad and dirty images
. Whole cities full of millions of people are like garbage dumps.

Guy dont even start
Re: Ugly Britain by AngieFan(f): 8:37am On Nov 28, 2008
Some more. grin grin grin grin grin

Market area. People selling food while sitting among some nasty green stagnant water, typical Nigerian Market.

Disgusting! Is it any wonder that average life expectancy in Nigeria is 46 years compared to Britain's 76 years? Say what you want about the NHS but because of its very existence people aren't dropping off in their prime like they are in Nigeria. Again fix your [size=20pt]SHIT[/size] before finding flaws in other countries to make yourself feel better about your failure of a country.
Re: Ugly Britain by yankidelta(m): 10:04am On Nov 28, 2008
WHY DO WE ALL LIKE DECEIT,NO MATTER HOW UGLY BRITAIN GETS IT CAN STILL BE COMPARED TO WHERE OUR BIG MEN LIVE BECOS THERE'S 24 HR ELECTRICITY,SECURITY(IN MOST AREAS N TO A GREAT EXTENT) AND THERE'S A SYSTEM IN TOTALITY BUT WE IN NAIJA THAT HAVE ALL THE RESOURCES WHAT CAN WE SHOW THE WORLD, AFTER ALL IF BRITAIN IS AS BAD AS U PAINT IT WHY DO WE STILL HAVE QUEUES AT THE VISA OFFICE ON AJOSE ADEOGUN,VI?
Re: Ugly Britain by sexyLeamon(f): 10:10am On Nov 28, 2008
is this a comparison between Nigeria and Britain? undecided
Re: Ugly Britain by Nobody: 10:21am On Nov 28, 2008
the neo-slaves are just irritating me .Stfu for christsakes,yes there is an ugly side of Britain,eat that.
Re: Ugly Britain by felifeli: 11:55am On Nov 28, 2008
ROFLMAO grin grin
@SexyLeamon
@Ehie

As you have just seen there are a LOT of functional ILLITERATES living abroad and illiteracy is a TERRIBLE disease much worse than the disease of POVERTY that we see in the Nigeria pictures.

What puzzles me is that this CRACKHEAD (Angiesperm) was still posting long after I'd gone to sleep last night, and had again commenced posting before I woke up this morning. Doesn't it tell you something about the state of mind of this lunatic ?
@Angiefan
You are a mad creature Angiesperm
you don't know whether you are male or female (maybe both),
you don't know where you are from ,
and you don't know the time of the day.

In case you can find someone to read this for you (as it appears you only understand pictures) :
[size=16pt]You are posting ten year old pictures !![/size] most of those buildings , situations and environmental conditions don't exist anymore. [size=16pt]YOUR PHOTOGRAPHERS HAVE DUPED YOU, IDIOT !![/size]

I am most concerned that you may have MAD COW DISESASE and you'll only be able to have children with monster size watermelon heads, please go see a doctor quickly.

Three hearty cheers for ANGIESPERM the lunatic
Ape , Ape, Ape,
Hoooooooooorraaaaay !!

1 Like

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 11:59am On Nov 28, 2008
while the pictures of the buildings i have posted might be derelict,the point here is that britain just like africa,nigeria e.t.c all have their ugly eyesore bits, britain is not paradise and so they should stop with castigating everything nigerian/african, we know nigerians are suffering and all that, our excuse is bad leadership,corruption ,unfair agricultural rebate from britain and the rest of the european union and america e.t.c
WHAT IS BRITAIN'S EXCUSE FOR THE DIRTY STREETSAFTER ALL THEY ARE RICH

WHAT IS BRITAIN'S EXCUSE FOR POLICE CORRUPTION?OR DIDNT YOU READ THE MANY ARTICLES I POSTED?

WHAT IS BRITAIN'S EXCUSE FOR PAEDOPHILIA AFTER ALL THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE OUR EXAMPLES IN CHILDCARE

WHAT IS BRITAIN'S EXCUSE FOR THE DIRTY STREETS,DRUG EPIDEMIC AMONGST YOUTHS?OUR NIGERIAN YOUTHS don't DO DRUGS IN SPITE OF THE POVERTY

WE KNOW NIGERIA IS DIRTY ALREADY,BUT I'm POSTING THESE LOVELI PHOTOS OF UGLY BRITAIN SO THAT NIGERIANS AND OTHER AFRICANS WILL SHED THE BELIEVE THAT BRITAIN IS NEXT TO HEAVEN, ITS NOT!!!

MORE PHOTOS,

1 Like

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 12:07pm On Nov 28, 2008
drug addicts in britain grin grin at least in all our squalour and poverty,we dont go chasing dragons, grin grin

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 12:11pm On Nov 28, 2008
i told y all i v got enough photos of what the british apologists don't want you to see, the pictures of nigeria she is showing are brave resilient africans struggling against the odds to make a living not OVERWEIGHT,BRITS WITH BAD TEETH,DRUG ADDICTS LIVING IN DIRTY STINKY STREETS EVEN WITH BENEFITS WONT GET A JOB AND THEN KILL THEIR CHILDREN BY BREAKING THEIR BACKS, MORE OF THE BRITISH "CHASING THE DRAGON"
AND YOU WONDER WHY BRITAIN IS THE COCAINE CAPITAL OF EUROPE, THE EUROPEAN BANGKOK grin grin grin

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 12:15pm On Nov 28, 2008
BRITAIN'S DRUG EPIDEMIC CONTINUED, grin grin grin

Re: Ugly Britain by damiso(f): 12:16pm On Nov 28, 2008
lucabrasi:

drug addicts in britain grin grin at least in all our squalour and poverty,we don't go chasing dragons, grin grin

@lucabrasi please me i am not british apologist but please there are drug addicts everywhere includding naija.We were having a discussion sometimes this yr about a recent increase in the abuse of marijuana by our youths esp those in higher institutions.its really growing at an alarming rate.i have no long essay to back up my claim but i have younger ones in scholl back home nad they have confirmed this.and there are paedophiles in nigeria plenty in fact,there is not just a name it is known has 'boda sikiru told me to remove my pant' wink.u want to try the amount of under-aged girls hawking oranges that our depraved mai guard slaughtered in his room.
Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 12:24pm On Nov 28, 2008
@damiso
even though i am proudly nigerian,unlike some people i am honest enough to tell you i totally agree with you,but the drug crisis in nigeria is marijuana not cocaine or crack like the united kingdom, unless you want to prove me wrong??ask the nigerians complaining about drug intake amongst nigerian youths,if anyone of them do cocaine or crack, i bet you they dont, for one they cant even afford it, what excuse has a teenage british boy or girl got for cocaine addiction and heroine addiction

more pictures of british youths smoking their life away thrugh a syringe grin grin

Re: Ugly Britain by damiso(f): 12:45pm On Nov 28, 2008
@ lucbrasi
ko si access ni.as you said they can't afford it and crack which is a cheaper alternative to cocaine is not readily available;that why u see that it's all those foolish giro collecting omo iranu are more on crack than cocaine;cocaine is for the richer junkies ie amy, ,kate??, , wink.anyway back to naija,if there was crack at the rate they are going it will also become an epidemic.remember the gbana scourge back in the late 80's early 90's where lagos was besieged with so many junkies(was young but remember being scared when they would approach people on broadstreet and marina esp back then).am just saying drugs,paedophilia are societal ills that  oftentimes plague most societies,the western world just have more information dissemination than we do and that makes it seem they have worse cases.lets not delude ourselves we do have this ills,they are not just not publicised.u would be suprised at stories of abuse adults of today in naija suffered at the hands of houseboys/girls when they were young;you would be suprised.our culture just tends to stifle things.
Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 1:19pm On Nov 28, 2008
again,while i agree with you that there are SOME drug addicts in nigeria, mostly on marijuana, majority do not go near cocaine or crack e.t.c not just because of the cost but because of the stigma attached to it in nigeria, can you imagine a drug addict living in a street and what people will say about the person in nigeria?they ll avoid him/her like a plague and you ll think he/she s contracted a desease,
i dont know about delusions and i hope you wernt reffering to me,but ill suggest you check the first page of this thread to understand the reasons why we r posting pictures and articles of ugly britain, no one has ever said nigeria was better than britain neither did we say nigeria is eldorado, the british have bbc news,sky news e.t.c to run africa and nigeria down all we have is this thread on nairaland to highlight the reality of britain and also to even the odds,
Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 1:23pm On Nov 28, 2008
more pictures of drug addicts in the cocaine capital of europe GREATTTTTT britain

Re: Ugly Britain by AngieFan(f): 1:24pm On Nov 28, 2008
I see the apologists are up again desperately trying to defend their cesspit of a country. grin grin grin. It would appear that some of you guys can't take the heat. Well in future don't bring it, if you can't handle it.

Yes those Nigerians in the pic are hard working and struggling my ass! How hard working can one be when they are too fvking lazy to clean up the shit around them? They prefer to live in squalor because as far as I see, being poor is no reason to be dirty. These people are waiting for the government to come and practically clean the shit from their asses innit? lol In the meantime they will continue to live, eat and shit among the squalor that they churn out.

And this one talking about Drugs Please! How many Nigerians are currently on deathrow all around the world for drug smuggling?

No matter what negativity you bring up about Britain the fact of the matter remains is that Nigerians have it a million +++ times worst in their own country.

Gambia arrests Nigerians with drugs in belly

*Suspects swallowed cocaine to elude detection

-Masterweb News Desk

( Tuesday, August 21, 2007 )
- Send Comments -
To Masterweb

"The men were arrested by Gambian National Drug Enforcement Agency( NDEA ) narcotic agents as they tried to board an aircraft on July 20."

Eight Nigerians who swallowed cocaine in order to escape security measures and elude detection at Banjul International Airport, Gambia ran out of luck as they were however arrested by narcotic agents. The men were arrested by Gambian National Drug Enforcement Agency( NDEA ) narcotic agents as they tried to board an aircraft on July 20.
According to Gambian police, Klement Ifeaniyi Obiorah, first accused swallowed 797 grammes of cocaine, while second accused, Kafo Francis Paul swallowed 1.162kg. Samuel Nwaiwu swallowed 1.427kg, Edi Banke Anthony 843.22 grams; James Nikolas 1.440kg; Oposo Malachi Ngozi 1.19kg, Faith Chinomso Obatu 909 grammes, and the last suspect, Amanchiku Okfo 884 grammes.

All men were on Thursday, August 16, arraigned before Magistrate EF M’Bai at Brikama Magistrate Court, Banjul. They all pleaded not guilty. Trial of the first, seventh and eight accused men was adjourned to August 30, while the trial of others adjourned to August 29th. The court ordered all men remanded in custody pending the determination of the cases.

Abdoulie Ceesay, a National Drug Enforcement Agency narcotic agent, will represent the drug enforcement unit in the trials.

Bristol Airport drug smuggler sent to jail

25 November 2008

A DRUG smuggler who tried to import £124,000 worth of cocaine into the UK via Bristol International Airport (BIA) has been sent to prison.

Kingsley Oradejire hid the substance in the lining of his suitcase, but was intercepted at BIA.

The 51-year-old Nigerian was given a seven-year sentence at a hearing at Bristol Crown Court on November 3.

He arrived at Lulsgate on August 10 after a flight from Cameroon via Paris.

UK Border Agency officers searched his bags and an x-ray revealed the concealed goods.

In sentencing, Judge Longman said: "Anyone who agrees to bring dangerous drugs into the UK will find the penalty will be severe to deter others."

He added that Oradejire should be deported when he is let out.

HMRC assistant director for criminal investigation Andrew Pavlinic said: "Drugs devastate lives and HMRC investigators are determined to stop them reaching our streets."

Singapore hangs Nigerian drug smuggler
Email Print Normal font Large font January 26, 2007 - 1:24PM

Advertisement
AdvertisementSingapore hanged a 21-year-old Nigerian man for drug smuggling, despite pleas from the Nigerian president, the United Nations and international human rights groups to spare his life.

Iwuchukwu Amara Tochi was executed at about 6am (0900 AEDT) on Friday at the city-state's Changi prison, Stanley Seah, assistant superintendent at Singapore's Central Narcotics Bureau, told Reuters.

No further details were immediately available.

Tochi was arrested at Singapore's Changi Airport in November 2004 for carrying about 727 grams of heroin.

Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo asked the Singapore government on Tuesday to grant a reprieve to Tochi, who was a champion football player in Nigeria according to human rights group Singapore Anti-Death Penalty Campaign.

In Geneva, the United Nations' special investigator for extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions said on Thursday that Singapore would be violating international legal standards on the use of the death penalty if it went ahead with the hanging.

The death sentence is mandatory for anyone caught carrying more than 15 grams of heroin in Singapore, which enforces one of the harshest anti-drug laws in the world.

Australian drug smuggler Nguyen Tuong Van, from Melbourne, was hanged in Singapore in December, 2005, despite repeated pleas for clemency.
Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 1:26pm On Nov 28, 2008
enough cocaine in the system grin grin

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 1:33pm On Nov 28, 2008
i bring you, "boys in the hood" grin grin grin
show me nigerians snorting cocaine or crack after all you have so many pictures of ugly lazy nigerians grin grin

more and more british youths snorting their life away even in the midst of plenty, they ll rather live in the derelict buildings even when they have acess to clean houses all because of drugs, the new name is BRITISH BANGKOK

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 1:36pm On Nov 28, 2008
boys in the hood grin grin
shame on you ehie for teaching me how to post pictures on here, grin

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 1:39pm On Nov 28, 2008
more drug qaddicts in britain,can anyone tell me why they ll rather go do their snorting in derelict buildings rather than these beautiful clean houses?
angiefan,i think you should foward the pictures of dirty nigeria to them because im sure they ll appreciate it, its more of their kinda stuffs u get grin grin
dont worry once im done with these photos ill post some loveli articles of british drug mules wink
more,

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 1:41pm On Nov 28, 2008
i promise these are the last set, grin grin grin
after a hard day using drugs, a girl's gotta sleep it off

Re: Ugly Britain by AngieFan(f): 1:42pm On Nov 28, 2008
Nigerians sniffing gutter fumes to get high.  .   .   .lol!

Sunday, June 29, 2008
NATIONAL Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Kano State Command said thousands of youths in the state inhaled gutter odour, sniff bicycle solution as well as take overdose of Benzyl cough syrup to get drugged, just as 558 suspects were so far arrested in the past six months.

The state NDLEA commander Barrister Nicholas Walter Salu who disclosed this during a press conference held to mark this years UN Anti-Drug day, described the recent discovery of the command as very disturbing because they cannot prosecute perpetrators.

Barrister Salu who said the command has been ranked number one in the country, said its achievements within the last six months almost doubled what they had in 2006-2007 because of the team work of officers in the command.

He further disclosed that hard drugs weighing over 2,080,849 kg were seized from suspects, while 73 suspects were convicted, another 201 suspects were also counseled by the command during the period under review.

The Kano NDLEA boss then called on the state House of Assembly to assist the command by enacting a law to regulate the sale of bicycle solution and other local intoxicants in the state to enable them make Kano a drug free state.

Said he, “There is no doubt that the drug abuse is a global problem, while we strive to do our part very well in Kano State, we call for understanding, co-operation and assistance from all sectors of the state, together with international organization to contribute their quota to addressing the problem.”

On the collaboration with Hisba (Sharia law enforcer), he said the feat achieved by the command this year was as a result of the contribution of the Hisba men, adding that the agency will continue to work with them to fight the menace of drug in the state.

Said he, “Let me tell you frankly, there is no way I can deny that the command currently has very cordial relationship with the Hisba command in Kano State and even the A daidaita sahu team. We are even proposing to train some of their men to effectively assist us.”

Blaming politicians for the upsurge of drug abuse in the state, he appealed to those who take advantage of the youths because of the hard economic situation in the country to achieve their selfish interest to have a rethink because of the adverse effect it has in the state.

He charged youths to be wary of action selfish politicians who abuse their right and future with selfish interest and shun them whenever they are being invited, added that a wasted youthfulness has damaging consequence on them. Barrister Salu who says his door is open for any useful information from the members of the public, warned drug barons, traffickers and money launders to change their heart from illicit businesses, as his command will work around the clock to arrest them.
Re: Ugly Britain by damiso(f): 1:44pm On Nov 28, 2008
lucabrasi:

while the pictures of the buildings i have posted might be derelict,the point here is that britain just like africa,nigeria e.t.c all have their ugly eyesore bits, britain is not paradise and so they should stop with castigating everything nigerian/african, we know nigerians are suffering and all that, our excuse is bad leadership,corruption ,unfair agricultural rebate from britain and the rest of the european union and america e.t.c
[b]WHAT IS BRITAIN'S EXCUSE FOR THE DIRTY STREETSAFTER ALL THEY ARE RICH[/b]WHAT IS BRITAIN'S EXCUSE FOR POLICE CORRUPTION?OR DIDNT YOU READ THE MANY ARTICLES I POSTED?

WHAT IS BRITAIN'S EXCUSE FOR PAEDOPHILIA AFTER ALL THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE OUR EXAMPLES IN CHILDCARE

WHAT IS BRITAIN'S EXCUSE FOR THE DIRTY STREETS,DRUG EPIDEMIC AMONGST YOUTHS?OUR NIGERIAN YOUTHS don't DO DRUGS IN SPITE OF THE POVERTY

WE KNOW NIGERIA IS DIRTY ALREADY,BUT I'm POSTING THESE LOVELI PHOTOS OF UGLY BRITAIN SO THAT NIGERIANS AND OTHER AFRICANS WILL SHED THE BELIEVE THAT BRITAIN IS NEXT TO HEAVEN, ITS NOT!!!

MORE PHOTOS,

pardon me  but i think you turned it into a comparison with the post above, and i didnt mean the delusion as an insult so pardon the use of the word.and as for drug addicts i still mantain that alot of ills are commited in the 'closet' in nigeria that you would be suprised.i had a friend in uni,pretty well brought(and female)guess you know the stigma attached to women smoking in nigeria, who not only smoked cigarrettes but was a baroness in the igbo smoking brigade.if u see this person u would never believe it.and there were loads of people like that.and u must agree that even marijuana smoking has stigmas attached to it,still doesnt stop the scourge.all i am saying is tha,castigating britain on issues like lifestyle choices does not mean we do not have such.and i repeat i am NOT a british apologist.just being objective.one more observation,we could be richer than britain if our stupid leaders would manage our resources better.afterall i think we have alot of things they don't have which i must add is not just oil( a more motivated populace for example),so we have no excuse as well to still have more than half of our population living in squalor.and pls i hate that sorry chant of 'we are just 48 abi na 49' age is not an excuse.we are more blessed than britain and we had the mistakes of others to learn from.

@ angiefan
are u sure ur a nigerian? i don't think you are.why the vicious and aggressive assault on a nation of intelligent and resilient people who are unfortunately badly led?

1 Like

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 1:53pm On Nov 28, 2008
pshyche, got more of run down estates,

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 2:04pm On Nov 28, 2008
@damiso
AGAIN pls go to the first page of this thread to get what the poster's intentions were, the intention was
1.to show britain's ugly side so that intending travellers will not have the misplaced believe that british streets are paved with gold
2.to show that britain as a country have probes of their own contrary to what they show on their media,moreover the same problems they castigate us for,they have same problems as well.
3.bbc news,sky news e.t.c never show good areas of nigeria like the v.i,the ikoyis,the abujas e.t.c they never show hard working nigerians or youths going against the odds to go to school e.t.c its always the negatives so why shouldnt i show britain's bad sides as well?

what exactly is your grouse?am i posting flase pictures of britain and its problems?
or is there anything false in my pictorial potrayal of britain??

i dont know where you got that from that nigerians are pretending we dont have any problems, go to the politics section,culture e.t.c on this site and you will see my contributions and other nigerians on the problems facing us as a country unless you want me to post only nice areas of britain so that more nigerians will continually die passing through the deserts in their quest to travel to pradise(uk)

1 Like

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 2:09pm On Nov 28, 2008
@angiefan
got one to counter yours grin ;DYasemin Vatansever and Yetunde Diya were reported to have been in "good spirits" as they left the juvenile prison on Thursday.

The two students, from London, were arrested in July 2007 at the Accra airport with about 13lbs (6 kilograms) of cocaine in their computer cases. They were both 16 at the time.

Officials have said the two were recruited in London by drug traffickers who promised them an all-expenses-paid vacation in the West African country in return for serving as drug couriers.

The teens left for Africa telling their parents they were going to France, customs officers in Britain said.

One girl has relatives in Nigeria, but police officials said neither had been to Ghana before.

The girls, now both 17, were convicted in November of possession and trafficking of narcotic drugs and later sentenced to one year.

They had hoped to be released in April as the Ghanaian prison authorities have the discretion to take three months off a 12-month sentence. But only a few days before they expected to walk free, they were told they would have to serve their sentences in full.

Their lawyer, Sabine Zanker, said she expected they "would have fond memories of friends they had made" while serving their sentence.

She said: "They are very relieved but there was also some sadness in saying goodbye because they have been treated with extreme kindness."

Miss Zanker declined to comment on when the girls planned to return to England, but a spokesman for Fair Trials Abroad said they would be back by the end of the month.
Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 2:10pm On Nov 28, 2008
News Tools

British teen may face life in Aussie prison on drug smuggling charges (AFP)

April 3, 2006, 11:32 AM

AFP - A teenage British beauty student appeared in a Perth court after being caught allegedly trying to smuggling more than 10,000 amphetamine tablets into Australia.]]>{br}{br}View the Entire Article

more,
Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 2:15pm On Nov 28, 2008
more british SUPPLIERS GOING TO GET MORE SUPPLIES grin grin

Monday, 3 July, 2000, 13:20 GMT 14:20 UK
Locked up in a foreign land

David Chell, the nurse sentenced to death in Malaysia for drug smuggling, is one of thousands of Britons convicted abroad. Some are guilty, others just naïve.
It is the stuff of travellers' nightmares - getting thrown into a squalid prison, facing a stiff penalty for unwittingly acting as a drugs courier.

About 2,600 Britons are in prison abroad, the majority on drugs charges.

Most are held in Europe or the United States and in 95% of cases, the defendants get a fair hearing. But others are not so fortunate, says Stephen Jakobi, of the human rights group Fair Trials Abroad.

David Chell denies all charges of carrying heroin

Some are convicted on questionable police evidence. Others have no lawyer to argue their case in court, or are presumed guilty because they have had unwittingly links with known criminals during their travels.

"That's the main problem - guilt by association," says Mr Jakobi.

At present, he is working on about 40 cases involving drugs charges, including lorry drivers Allen Davis, 59, from Dorset - now serving his 11th year in a Thai jail - and Steve Bryant, 48, from Essex, who was locked up in Morocco for seven years.

Police raid

Mr Jakobi finds the case of Rachel McGee, a 24-year-old Londoner facing 15 years in a Cuban jail, particularly disturbing.

The best way to ensure that innocent people don't go to jail is to have a lawyer to challenge the police case

Stephen Jakobi

In October 1998, Ms McGee accepted the offer of cheap flight to Cuba from Karite Clacher, a friend of a man she had been dating. Police arrested Clacher and two acquaintances in a raid on their hotel, tipped off by drug smugglers who arrived from Jamaica with 15kg of cocaine.

Ms McGee, who was just leaving in a taxi to sort out her visa, turned back when she saw police forcing Clacher against a wall, and was also arrested.

The authorities found no drugs on her. Yet she was convicted in a trial conducted wholly in Spanish, in which the prosecution never mentioned her name.

"The best way to ensure that innocent people don't go to jail is to have a lawyer to challenge the police case. Rachel McGee had no lawyer at all," says Mr Jakobi.

"It is guilt by association. What is truly frightening about this case is that it really could have happened to anyone going on holiday."

Of the 30 young British women held in Fort Augustus prison in Kingston, Jamaica, most face drug smuggling charges and most tell a similar tale.

Among them is Lisa Burnett, serving a 15-month sentence for smuggling cocaine, but due for early release in September.

The 21-year-old says she was duped into acting as a drugs courier after accepting a free holiday from a friend.

Karen Smith and Patricia Cahill soon after their release

In 1990, Birmingham teenagers Karen Smith and Patricia Cahill went to Thailand on holiday after a British man they hardly knew offered to pick up the tab.

Both girls served three years in prison after being caught with 66kg of heroin hidden in their luggage, the biggest haul recorded.

Mr Jakobi offered his services after hearing of their plight on a radio news bulletin - his first foray into securing fair trials abroad.

"My first thought was, it must be a joke. Drug smugglers don't trust teenage girls with bags of heroin. It doesn't happen like that."

Bangkok Hilton

Some of the British tourists held overseas return with horror stories about the conditions in which they were held.

In March, a British couple on £10,000 police bail fled Thailand after they had spent three weeks in a Thai prison, on drugs charges.

Although James Gilligan, 25, confessed to possessing cannabis and opium, his roommate Judith Payne, 21, also faced six years in prison.

Neither could face the prospect of returning to the notorious Klong Prem Prison - nicknamed the Bangkok Hilton, Ms Payne said.

She had been held in a room with 80 other women.

"It was filthy. There were no toilet facilities, no room to walk around, no room to do anything. All you could do was lie down, head to foot, with the other prisoners."
Re: Ugly Britain by AngieFan(f): 2:25pm On Nov 28, 2008

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 2:28pm On Nov 28, 2008
TWO British women have been jailed for two years in Barbados for trying to smuggle £160,000 worth of cocaine aboard a flight to Britain.

Suzanne Georgina O'Donald, 32, from Worcester, and Sally-Ann Martin, 31, from Birmingham, were also ordered to each pay a fine of 250,000 Barbadian dollars (£80,000).

If they cannot pay, they will have to serve three more years. Martin and O'Donald were arrested on Tuesday at the airport in Bridgetown when police found eight wine bottles filled with a total of eight litres of liquefied cocaine in their luggage, police spokesman Barry Hunte said.

The women were travelling from neighbouring St Vincent to London and were in Barbados on a stopover.

Both pleaded guilty to charges of possession, trafficking, intent to supply and intent to import cocaine.

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (26)

Tanker Fire On Lagos Ibadan Expressway: Corpses Evacuated, Eyewitness Accounts / Nigerian In Philippines Displays Relief Items Given To Him By Government / Which Countries Are Visa-Free To Nigeria Citizens?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.