Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,335 members, 7,811,977 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:43 AM

Ugly Britain - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ugly Britain (106737 Views)

Three Nigerians Arrested At Sham Wedding In Britain / Nigerians, Highest Number Of African Criminals In Britain - UK Home Office / Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Go Down)

Re: Ugly Britain by damiso(f): 2:32pm On Nov 28, 2008
@ lucabrasi
while i readily agree with the aim of this thread which is to let people know that britain is not paved with Gold,which i think is something that should be commended so as to discourage people wanting to relocate abroad at all costs with no reasonable game plan, you wil agree that alot of posters have then proceeded to turn into it into a nigeria vs britain thing.yeah i agree that i get pissed when all they show of africa is squalor and poverty(esp those stupid charity adverts) but please lets leave this to basic infrastructure and alland  leave lifetsyle choices out of this.let people know that britain esp london is also dirty,people are also homeless yeah but drugs,paedophilia are lifestyle choices and ills that we cannot pretend does not happen back home too.everyone makes the choice to follow that path wherever they are.believe me if will never go into drugs,pics of drug addicts will not make me not want to sell my father's house to move to london.it will only make me say 'me ke wetin i wan do with drugs make i go hustle make money like my brother who sent 6 LCD tv home last month(bought fraudulently with someone else credit card;ike)'.i think painting a pic of the hell illegal immigrants go through,pics of depression faced by being alone and without familyetc which are problems alot of people face here  would be much more educative.
Re: Ugly Britain by AngieFan(f): 2:36pm On Nov 28, 2008
Lucra where are you getting your articles from? How can you say the stuff below and in the same breath say that Britain doesn't show negative stuff about Britain in their own press? Stop being dumb! All the stuff you have been posting has come from the British press!!!! Unlike Nigerians we don't bury our heads in the sand. We put our shit up there in black and white for everyone to see. How about you Nigerians starting to do the same instead of crying foul every time someone puts your shit up in your faces?

2.to show that britain as a country have probes of their own contrary to what they show on their media,

@Damiso
I am of Nigerian descent. I am sorry you feel that way but while I recognise that yes indeed, Nigeria may be a country of intelligent and resilient people, you and other Nigerians need to recognise that Britain is too. As I said many a time in this thread, if you throw the first stone then you should expect to get a load more thrown at you. There aren't separate rules for Nigerians posting negativity about another country and for others not to do the same. Yes, we are on a Nigerian board but still, that shouldn’t be an excuse for stupidity, racism and bigotry.

Re: Ugly Britain by jaybee3(m): 2:40pm On Nov 28, 2008
damiso:

@ lucabrasi
while i readily agree with the aim of this thread which is to let people know that britain is not paved with Gold,which i think is something that should be commended so as to discourage people wanting to relocate abroad at all costs with no reasonable game plan, you wil agree that alot of posters have then proceeded to turn into it into a nigeria vs britain thing.yeah i agree that i get pissed when all they show of africa is squalor and poverty(esp those stupid charity adverts) but please lets leave this to basic infrastructure and alland  leave lifetsyle choices out of this.let people know that britain esp london is also dirty,people are also homeless yeah but drugs,paedophilia are lifestyle choices and ills that we cannot pretend does not happen back home too.everyone makes the choice to follow that path wherever they are.believe me if will never go into drugs,pics of drug addicts will not make me not want to sell my father's house to move to london.it will only make me say 'me ke wetin i wan do with drugs make i go hustle make money like my brother who sent 6 LCD tv home last month(bought fraudulently).i think painting a pic of the hell illegal immigrants go through,pics of depression faced by being alone and without familyetc which are problems alot of people face here  would be much more educative.

Now dats what i'm talking about but one thing you guys posting the ugly side of britain fail to realise is migrants have a die hard attitude and they strongly believe in seeing for themselves. No amount of information will deter would be immigrant from fulfilling their sometimes long life ambition to cross the border.
Have you ever asked yourself why drug dealers keep risking everything (jail, death, uncertain future) all in the name of making some few bucks even though their is quite a lot of info out there about the harsh judgements passed down to them when caught?
Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 2:50pm On Nov 28, 2008
@angiefan
where are you getting your own articles and pictures from?
nigerians who took these photos in nigeria,you are posting it on a nigerian site where numerous threads have highlighted the problems facing nigerians so whats your point??
@damiso
while a lot of potential migrants might want to see things for themselves, if these pictures o ugly britain will save only a minute amount of them,then i think this thread will have achieved its purpose, britain is not el dorado or paradise as they have the same problems like the rest f us

1.problem of dirty streets,neighbourhoods
2.problem of cyber crime otherwise known as yahoo yahoo in nigeria
3.drugs
4.derelict and run down buildings
5.crime
6insecurity
7.armed robbery
Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 2:53pm On Nov 28, 2008
more,

Re: Ugly Britain by damiso(f): 2:59pm On Nov 28, 2008
lucabrasi:

@angiefan
where are you getting your own articles and pictures from?
nigerians who took these photos in nigeria,you are posting it on a nigerian site where numerous threads have highlighted the problems facing nigerians so whats your point??
@damiso
while a lot of potential migrants might want to see things for themselves, if these pictures o ugly britain will save only a minute amount of them,then i think this thread will have achieved its purpose, britain is not el dorado or paradise as they have the same problems like the rest f us

1.problem of dirty streets,neighbourhoods
2.problem of cyber crime otherwise known as yahoo yahoo in nigeria
3.drugs
4.derelict and run down buildings
5.crime
6insecurity
7.armed robbery

those higlighted problems ok.but do u seriously think yahoo,yahoo armed robbery and drugs will deter someone who lives in oju-ina,mushin and oluwole to not want to relocate?
Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 3:05pm On Nov 28, 2008
while it wont deter all,it will deter some, btw hope you ealise that british youths are moving abroad in large numbers as well?while we have oju ina oluwole e.t.c so do the british have hackney,lewisham,brixton,peckham,stoke newington,
more pictures,

Re: Ugly Britain by AngieFan(f): 3:06pm On Nov 28, 2008
Lucra

I am getting my pics from the sites of Non-Nigerian NGOs, Non-Nigerian Charities. Non-Nigerian bloggers and Non-Nigerian media who happen to care more about the plights of those millions of Nigerians living in squalor than the Nigerians government or yourself do. Face it! The point you made is mute. That the British press refuse to show the ills of their society in their own press is false and you have proved that by posting stuff solely from the British media.

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 3:07pm On Nov 28, 2008
the baba of paedophiles of british descent taking advantage of children in third world countries, o present
glitter
Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 3:15pm On Nov 28, 2008
shayo na superstar grin grin binge drinking in britain which is another epidemic after drugs, this people get problems o grin grin
think u gys should leave us alone and solve your problems lol

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 3:17pm On Nov 28, 2008
so as to be gender sensitive,lets see the teenage boys grin grin

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 3:24pm On Nov 28, 2008
more of irresposible youths in britain
btw i v got some of the foot and mouth desease and mad cow desease in british beef, our beef migh be sold near gutters but they dont have foot and mouth neither do they have mad cow grin

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 3:31pm On Nov 28, 2008
back by popular demand

CATEGORIES TV RADIO COMMUNICATE WHERE I LIVE INDEX SEARCH

You are in: World: Europe

Front Page
World

Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent
-------------
Letter From America
UK
UK Politics
Business
Sci/Tech
Health
Education
Entertainment
Talking Point
In Depth
AudioVideo

SERVICES

Daily E-mail
News Ticker
Mobiles/PDAs

Feedback
Help

Low Graphics Tuesday, 12 March, 2002, 17:19 GMT
France refuses to lift British beef ban

France still wants "assurances" on British beef

France will not end its boycott of British beef in the next three months despite a European ruling that the ban is illegal.

We are not going to ease up our vigilance of health safety just when the beef market is beginning to pick up

Francois Patriat
The country's recently-appointed Agriculture Minister, Francois Patriat, said on Tuesday that France still did not have assurances that the meat was safe from mad cow disease.

Mr Patriat said the government did not plan to address the ban between now and a general election, scheduled for June.

"We are not going to ease up our vigilance of health safety just when the beef market is beginning to pick up," Mr Patriat told journalists.

British beef was banned for three and a half years

The European Commission ended a three-and-a-half-year ban on British beef exports in the summer of 1999, imposed because of fears of the presence of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) - or mad cow disease.

But France continued to block access to imports.

The European Union's highest court, the European Court of Justice, ruled in December that France was acting illegally by continuing to ban the meat.

'Lack of data'

But Mr Patriat said that the court ruling was based on "procedural grounds, not on matters of substance".

An aide to Mr Patriat said that France would not yield to British calls to raise the ban because it still lacked full data on BSE numbers in Britain's national herd.

A recent EU report concluded that disease levels in Britain had to be "seen with a considerable degree of uncertainty" because of the limited extent of testing.

More than 100 people in Britain, France and Ireland have died or are thought to be dying from the human form of BSE.

Mr Patriat took over as France's agriculture minister from Jean Glavany in February

french ban on british beef
Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 3:34pm On Nov 28, 2008
at least our beef might be near the dirty gutters but its not got foot and mouth desease grin

Donate Now »
[Expand] Support Wikipedia: a non-profit project Donate Now »
[Expand] Support Wikipedia: a non-profit project — Donate Now
2001 United Kingdom foot-and-mouth crisis
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from 2001 UK foot and mouth crisis)
Jump to: navigation, search

Notice telling people to keep off the North York Moors.The outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease in the United Kingdom in the spring and summer of 2001 caused a crisis in British agriculture and tourism. This epizootic saw 2,000 cases of the disease in farms in most of the British countryside. Over 10 million sheep and cattle were killed [1] in an eventually successful attempt to halt the disease. Cumbria was the worst affected area of the country, with 843 cases. With the intention of controlling the spread of the disease, public rights of way across land were closed by order. This damaged the popularity of the Lake District as a tourist destination. By the time the disease was halted by October 2001, the crisis was estimated to have cost the United Kingdom £8bn ($16bn), and had dominated much of the 2001 UK media coverage prior to September 11th.

The first case of the disease to be detected was at Cheale Meats abattoir in Little Warley, Essex on February 19, 2001. Over the next four days, several more cases were announced in Essex. On February 23 a case was confirmed in Heddon-on-the-Wall, Northumberland, from where the pig in the first case had come; this farm was later confirmed as the source of the outbreak and the owner, Bobby Waugh of Pallion, was convicted of failing to inform the authorities of a notifiable disease, and later of feeding his pigs "untreated waste". [2] On February 24 a case was announced in Highampton in Devon. Later in the week north Wales was affected. By the beginning of March, the disease had spread to Cornwall, southern Scotland and the Lake District where it took a particularly strong hold.

By the end of March, the disease was at its height — up to 50 new cases a day. The effort to prevent the spread of the disease, which caused a complete ban of the sale of British pigs, sheep and cattle until the disease was confirmed eradicated, concentrated on a cull and then by burning all animals located near an infected farm. The complete halt on movement of livestock, cull, and extensive measures to prevent humans carrying the disease on their boots and clothing from one site to another, brought the disease under control during the summer. From May to September, about five cases per day were reported. The final case was reported on Whygill Head Farm near Appleby in Cumbria on September 30. The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) downgraded to "high risk" the last area to be denoted "infected" on November 29. Restrictions on lifestock movement were retained into 2002.

The use of a vaccine to halt the spread of the disease was repeatedly considered during the outbreak, but the government never decided to use it after pressure from the National Farmers Union. Although the vaccine was believed to be effective, export rules would prevent the export of British livestock in the future, and it was decided that this was too great a price to pay, although this was controversial because the value of the export industry (£592 million per year; MAFF figures reported by the Guardian[3]) was small compared to losses to tourism resulting from the measures taken. Following the outbreak, the law was changed to allow vaccinations rather than just culling.

On April 8, 2001 the Sunday Express reported that a test-tube of the virus had been stolen from a lab at Porton Down in Wiltshire 2 months before the crisis. The paper claims to have seen documents confirming sheep in Wales with the disease as early as January. [4] It was suggested by authorities that Animal Rights activists may have stolen the virus, however this is unlikely since it is a Level 4 bio-weapons facility and therefore guarded by the military. [5]

The consensus today is that the FMD virus came from infected or contaminated meat that was part of the garbage being fed to pigs at Burnside Farm in Heddon-on-the-wall. [6] The garbage had not been properly heat-sterilized and the virus had thus been allowed to infect the pigs. Seeing as FMD virus was apparently not present in the UK beforehand and given the import restrictions for meat from countries known to harbour FMD, it is likely that the infected meat had been illegally imported to the UK. Such imports are likely to be for the catering industry and a total ban on feeding of catering waste containing meat or meat products was introduced early in the epidemic
Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 3:38pm On Nov 28, 2008
the pictures you have been anticipating HOMELESS BRITISH, grin grin grin
btw angiefan,we have enough space for them under ikeja bridge o

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 3:40pm On Nov 28, 2008
more,
oh, think twice,its another day for me and you in "paradise" grin

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 3:46pm On Nov 28, 2008
more homeless brits

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 3:47pm On Nov 28, 2008
we have seen flooded areas in nigeria now here is a classic from great britain grin grin grin
im soooo wickid grin

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 3:50pm On Nov 28, 2008
more

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 3:57pm On Nov 28, 2008
more of flooded houses in britain grin grin grin grin grin

Re: Ugly Britain by lucabrasi(m): 4:01pm On Nov 28, 2008
this is not sri lanka,not africa its great britain, honest to GOD it is!! grin grin grin

Re: Ugly Britain by damiso(f): 4:15pm On Nov 28, 2008
we know luca but u know sometimes an issue or point is lost when it is overflogged or becomes derailed.yeah yeah britain is def not a bed of roses, never was and never will be because its still on this earth.meaning no where on earth can ever be devoid of suffering pain or evils ever since we got evicted from eden. wink.but posting pics of brits will still not erase the issues that even though hackney,dalston,peckham and loads of other places in the UK are epitomes of squalor will not discourage people from wanting to emigrate.rather lets see the evils of relocation without justification and right papers.my point is life is HARD in the UK.but life is also hard everywhere but our govt should pls pls make life just a little bearable for its citizens and i bet you most people here would go home and then when people at home see people coming home,the attraction for travelling abroad would be lost.I know most our parents who came home in the 80's and 70's after studying here cos they knew the home they were going home to was one were they could be comfortable(not necessarly rich) to have a good standard of living.and i personally know so many who regretted that decision 15 yrs down the line.
Re: Ugly Britain by AngieFan(f): 4:52pm On Nov 28, 2008
British rail grin grin grin grin grin

waiting for a train at Paddington, London. lol!
Re: Ugly Britain by Nobody: 6:23pm On Nov 28, 2008
What the hell?
Lubracasi sorry i wasnt here to help u fight
so that mad woman is still making noise here on nairaland?
@ANGIEFAN,how dare u call ur self Nigerian.
U will never be a nigerian.go away we don't want u here.
Re: Ugly Britain by felifeli: 9:49pm On Nov 28, 2008
ehie:

What the hell?
Lubracasi sorry i wasnt here to help u fight
so that mad woman is still making noise here on nairaland?
@ANGIEFAN,how dare u call ur self Nigerian.
U will never be a nigerian.go away we don't want u here.
[size=14pt]
Don't be fooled , this is no woman at all . I[b]T is a gay paedophile [/b]who has an axe to grind with Nigeria probably because his Nigerian boyfriend repented of humping a toad and went to find a woman , therefore the cause of his insanity.
Analyse all his pictures , most are either about women in bad unlikeable condition or environments (HE HATES WOMEN ) or children either undressed or posed (HE LOVES PAEDOPHILIA). I am praying that he will find his way to a place like Singapore where they will finally arrest him and execute his degenerate ass by firing squad. Miserable slowpoke.[/size]
Re: Ugly Britain by AngieFan(f): 11:36pm On Nov 28, 2008

[size=30pt]NIGERIANS CLEAN UP YO' SHIT!!!!![/size]
Re: Ugly Britain by felifeli: 12:49am On Nov 29, 2008
[size=20pt]DIDN'T I JUST SAY HE'S A PAEDOPHILE LOOKING ALL OVER THE PLACE FOR KIDS TO SHAG ? !!
TAKE YOUR SEX-MAD EYES OFF OUR CHILDREN , F**KING RETARD
YOU WILL SOON MEET YOUR WATERLOO , YOU WATERMELON HEAD !!
[/size] grin grin grin grin
Re: Ugly Britain by whatever90(f): 1:11am On Nov 29, 2008
Angiefan,has anybody every told u,u r a shameless fool b4?well if no,then im telling u d truth now,u r a shameless fool

guess u love d country dats why u have d time to google out pix,wat will joblessness not cause
Re: Ugly Britain by blackspade(m): 1:56am On Nov 29, 2008
ROTFLMAO!!!

Why are all of you getting so mad? AngieFan is just giving you Britain haters of taste of your own medicine!
Re: Ugly Britain by Uche2nna(m): 2:01am On Nov 29, 2008
blackspade:

ROTFLMAO!!!

Why are all of you getting so mad? AngieFan is just giving you Britain haters of taste of your own medicine!

Itz all good cheesy But methinks she is posting in the wrong thread. The thread did not say Britain vs Nigeria neither did it say Ugly Nigeria. The title is Ugly Britain. Maybe Angie should open a thread for her pics "Ugly Nigeria". But then it is nothing new grin

1 Like

Re: Ugly Britain by SeanT21(f): 4:08am On Nov 29, 2008
This Good Topic Just went downhill!!

@angiefan

No one said that Nigeria is Perfect.The Point of this thread was to Let Everyone know That No Country is Perfect including GB!!Some People Think Western Countries Bread N Butta.
Re: Ugly Britain by AngieFan(f): 9:28am On Nov 29, 2008
It appears that a lot of people are hurting because of these real life Nigerian pictures I am posting. Oh well, deal with it! cool cool cool And next time don't start shit if you don't want to end up eating it!

[size=30pt]Nigerians this is your country. This is the reality of tens of millions Nigerians in Nigeria today. Deal with it and then we can discuss why you think Britain is Ugly.

Bloody cheek!
[/size]
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25)

Tanker Fire On Lagos Ibadan Expressway: Corpses Evacuated, Eyewitness Accounts / Nigerian In Philippines Displays Relief Items Given To Him By Government / Which Countries Are Visa-Free To Nigeria Citizens?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.