Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,070 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:58 PM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (911114 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (508) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by adanny01(m): 10:30pm On Apr 13, 2017
olaboy1:
I want to know if my engine coolant sensor is working as it should.
When am on the highway 120km/h with my odb2 connected and my friend keeping an eye on engine coolant temperature on my iPad, it stops at 70 degrees Celsius and not more, but my manual says temp must be within 80-95 degrees Celsius after warming up, however once am standing still idling at the car park the temperature starts moving up to the manufacturer's required spec up to 90, is this a normal or abnormal condition.
I am changing my coolant anti freeze and thermostat as routine service, should I change the engine coolant sensor also.
I noticed my drivability issues and very bad fuel economy is tied to too many components, but I found out my TPS is behaving funny when I did resistance check on it at WOT, the resistance starts reading when the throttle is opened at almost 30-40% and not from 0%, and when you close the throttle valve the resistance also stops at 30-40% before final close of the throttle valve.
So this means from 0-40% opening of the throttle the ECU is not informing the injector to supply fuel as it's not aware that the throttle has been opened since the TPS is not sending that signal until after 40% opening, hence why I have poor start and sluggish movement from gear 1 and 2.
My MAF result in grams is good within spec, but my intake air temperature does not equal ambient temperature, how do I check my IAT correctly.
You said timing chain should be changed at 170,000km, I've heard they last up to 400,000km
Can you give your expert opinion on this. Also note I have no DTC's but failed emission test with CO 0.8 instead of max 0.5, and HC 118 instead of max 100

The following things did not meet the right manufacturer's reading
1. TPS reading 30% at WOT on highway and even on idle and engine rev at 6500RPM instead of 64-98%
2. IAT not same with ambient temperature. I am also confused it looks like my IAT is together with my MAF. It's a Toyota Avensis Verso 2002
3. Engine coolant temperature as explained above

There is no way you have a thermostat in that car.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:50am On Apr 14, 2017
olaboy1:
When am on the highway 120km/h with my odb2 connected and my friend keeping an eye on engine coolant temperature on my iPad, it stops at 70 degrees Celsius and not more, but my manual says temp must be within 80-95 degrees Celsius after warming up, however once am standing still idling at the car park the temperature starts moving up to the manufacturer's required spec up to 90, is this a normal or abnormal condition.
I am changing my coolant anti freeze and thermostat as routine service, should I change the engine coolant sensor also.
I noticed my drivability issues and very bad fuel economy is tied to too many components, but I found out my TPS is behaving funny when I did resistance check on it at WOT, the resistance starts reading when the throttle is opened at almost 30-40% and not from 0%, and when you close the throttle valve the resistance also stops at 30-40% before final close of the throttle valve.
So this means from 0-40% opening of the throttle the ECU is not informing the injector to supply fuel as it's not aware that the throttle has been opened since the TPS is not sending that signal until after 40% opening, hence why I have poor start and sluggish movement from gear 1 and 2.
My MAF result in grams is good within spec, but my intake air temperature does not equal ambient temperature, how do I check my IAT correctly.
You said timing chain should be changed at 170,000km, I've heard they last up to 400,000km
Can you give your expert opinion on this. Also note I have no DTC's but failed emission test with CO 0.8 instead of max 0.5, and HC 118 instead of max 100

The following things did not meet the right manufacturer's reading
1. TPS reading 30% at WOT on highway and even on idle and engine rev at 6500RPM instead of 64-98%
2. IAT not same with ambient temperature. I am also confused it looks like my IAT is together with my MAF. It's a Toyota Avensis Verso 2002
3. Engine coolant temperature as explained above

no thermostat in thermostat housing, TPS might need some adjustment. IAT give readings slightly higher than ambient, cause air around engine is slightly warmer.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by olaboy1: 4:18pm On Apr 14, 2017
adanny01:

There is no way you have a thermostat in that car.

Why? I went to Toyota company here directly and bought the thermostat from them. I live in Europe cold Sweden if that makes any difference, because I know mechanics in Nigeria remove thermostat or something I'm not so sure. Is the thermostat not responsible for on/off function of the radiator fans. My 2 fans come on and off
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by olaboy1: 4:29pm On Apr 14, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

no thermostat in thermostat housing, TPS might need some adjustment. IAT give readings slightly higher than ambient, cause air around engine is slightly warmer.

I don't get your comment on thermostat, please explain further. My TPS when throttle is fully close doesn't have any space for adjustment like other TPS I see. I can upload pixs, it uses screws that fit in completely in the sensor holes with no room to spin the sensor around.
Thanks about the IAT, but please I can't find my IAT sensor on my air intake plastics, and my repair manual for IAT fix is directing me to part of the 5 pins connector of MAF and manual states "the intake air temperature sensor is built in the air flow meter and senses the intake air temperature with an acceptable value of not more than 40 degrees Celsius and less than 1ohms resistance. My MAF sensor has two tiny wires inside and the little bulb like one outside.

I got these pixs on google and I think Toyota has put both IAT and MAF together

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by olaboy1: 4:55pm On Apr 14, 2017
I guess the first pix is the adjustable TPS, the second pix is mine.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:28pm On Apr 14, 2017
olaboy1:

Not normal condition, thermostat, if present is stuck open.

noticed my drivability issues and very bad fuel economy is tied to too many components, but I found out my TPS is behaving funny when I did resistance check on it at WOT, the resistance starts reading when the throttle is opened at almost 30-40% and not from 0%, and when you close the throttle valve the resistance also stops at 30-40% before final close of the throttle valve.
So this means from 0-40% opening of the throttle the ECU is not informing the injector to supply

Replace TPS.

IAT is a component in MAF.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by olaboy1: 7:05pm On Apr 14, 2017
Thanks for your prompt reply. The first time I cleaned my MAF I cleaned only the IAT part and didn't realize it had two strings inside serving as MAF, so I had STFT old reading of -20.90 and I watched a YouTube video and went back to clean the inside strings and my readings came to 0.78 to 3.
I have a brand new thermostat now and TPS on the way and I will change the ECT sensor also just to wrap things up since they are inexpensive.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by adanny01(m): 10:07pm On Apr 14, 2017
olaboy1:

Why? I went to Toyota company here directly and bought the thermostat from them. I live in Europe cold Sweden if that makes any difference, because I know mechanics in Nigeria remove thermostat or something I'm not so sure. Is the thermostat not responsible for on/off function of the radiator fans. My 2 fans come on and off

As long as you have a working thermostat that is not stuck open, your temp should never run below the opening temp of the thermostat usually above 80.

However, most recent cars have 2 coolant temp sensor. Sensor 1 and 2. Sensor 1 is located in or around the thermostat housing while sensor 2 is at the radiator bottom cover.

From experience, I think sensor 2 controls cooling fans while sensor 1 is the main one used by the engine computer to control other dependant parameters.

Each faulty one will throw a specific code.

I will be really confused if your thermostat works well and you have no code.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Piyke: 9:32am On Apr 15, 2017
olaboy1:

I don't get your comment on thermostat, please explain further. My TPS when throttle is fully close doesn't have any space for adjustment like other TPS I see. I can upload pixs, it uses screws that fit in completely in the sensor holes with no room to spin the sensor around.
Thanks about the IAT, but please I can't find my IAT sensor on my air intake plastics, and my repair manual for IAT fix is directing me to part of the 5 pins connector of MAF and manual states "the intake air temperature sensor is built in the air flow meter and senses the intake air temperature with an acceptable value of not more than 40 degrees Celsius and less than 1ohms resistance. My MAF sensor has two tiny wires inside and the little bulb like one outside.

I got these pixs on google and I think Toyota has put both IAT and MAF together

ECT & IAT temperatures would only be the same eg early in the morning before first start. During driving they will be different.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by agyo(m): 4:57pm On Apr 20, 2017
Una read motor mechanic??

All these sophisticated analysis.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by MrBuzy: 9:05am On Apr 21, 2017
Please can I get this door roller and what is the price. It is for honda odyssey 2002 model.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by whyniel: 12:18pm On Apr 21, 2017
agyo:
Una read motor mechanic??

All these sophisticated analysis.

I'm lost sef
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by DreCharles(m): 7:10pm On Apr 22, 2017
I'm about to service my car's transmission

A 2003 Toyota Avalon.

What atf is recommended?

Also at cold start, the car's rpm jumps to 1500, stays there for like 30 to 45 secs before gradually comes down to 1000, later to btw 850 and 900.

I also experience loss of power when taking a bend or driving uphill. Foot down on the pedal but car wouldn't respond accordingly.

I need your advice, pls
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by thebigkendo(m): 9:44pm On Apr 22, 2017
DreCharles:
I'm about to service my car's transmission
Any issues or just routine maintenance

A 2003 Toyota Avalon.

What atf is recommended?
check your user manual

Also at cold start, the car's rpm jumps to 1500, stays there for like 30 to 45 secs before gradually comes down to 1000, later to btw 850 and 900.
that is normal, because you cars is in open loop and need to get its optimal operating temperature fast

I also experience loss of power when taking a bend or driving uphill. Foot down on the pedal but car wouldn't respond accordingly.
I need your advice, pls

Scan your car first, then check engine air filter-it might be dirty/clogged, spark plugs or clogged catalyst
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by michaelchinedu(m): 1:42am On May 03, 2017
I have a tokunbo Benz C220 "97" for sale @ 1.2 Million,
It is very clean. 
Direct from Germany.
call +2347036879479 Or you Can WhatsApp me too for more pictures and clean Business thanks

benz C220 1997 for sale

alloy wheels

Power windows

power door locks

Air Bags

ABS

5 speed Auto Transmission

open roof

auto

Factory fitted AC

*Direct from Germany*.

Price - 1.2 million
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by VeeBabs(m): 3:54pm On May 06, 2017
tonwe:
Please help out I want to purchase a Mitsubishi Outlander 2008. Please I need advise if its okay for me to purchase, Considering maintenance, fuel usage and if any other related pertinent issues in usage of the SUV.
I don't want to use a vehicle that will give me issues or any unnecessary expenses.
I'm considering it as a 2nd option instead of a Toyota RAV4. I know Toyota is low maintence, though. I need opinion on the Mitsubishi Outlander. Thank you

The Outlander is a great SUV. A worthy competitor to the RAV4. But I have a warning for you: buy the V6 version. Do not go for the 4-cylinder.

Are you aware of the serious problems that plagued/grounded Nissan Murano models 2003 - 2006 (or so)? Well, it was the CVT transmission.

The Outlander 2008-2009 uses the same CVT transmission as the infamous Muranos (sourced from Jatco) in the 4-cylinder version, but uses the "regular" automatic transmission in the V6 version. Yes, you read that right, the Outlander uses two different transmission types for the 4-plug and 6-plug versions, respectively!

Trouble is, the 2008 Outlander V6 is quite rare. So you might have to do a lot of digging around to find one. The 4-plug, however, is much easier to find.

Here are pictures below of both engines. Same 2008 Outlander.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by croxx86: 4:15pm On May 27, 2017
Please house assist me. I noticed my ABS and Brake lights came on at the same time on the dashboard of my Toyota Camry 2007. And when it does, the speedometer, A.C. and Coolant guage stops working. They just move up and down erratically.
It happens and then stops and everything becomes normal. After a while it starts again.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:35pm On May 27, 2017
croxx86:
Please house assist me. I noticed my ABS and Brake lights came on at the same time on the dashboard of my Toyota Camry 2007. And when it does, the speedometer, A.C. and Coolant guage stops working. They just move up and down erratically.
It happens and then stops and everything becomes normal. After a while it starts again.

It has nothing to do with your ABS, you have a partial contact somewhere or a wire is bridging somthing.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by adanny01(m): 8:47pm On May 27, 2017
croxx86:

The last and only time my car threw erratic lights, speedometer and tachometer malfunctions, it turned out to be water in the ECU.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:59pm On May 27, 2017
adanny01:

The last and only time my car threw erratic lights, speedometer and tachometer malfunctions, it turned out to be water in the ECU.

Very true!! And the rains are here. Even though toyota camry 07 has its Engine ecu in the engine bay beside the battery.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by croxx86: 10:40pm On May 27, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Very true!! And the rains are here. Even though toyota camry 07 has its Engine ecu in the engine bay beside the battery.

so how do i go about fixing it?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Bellao223: 11:03pm On May 27, 2017
Nice topics and post all the way...

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by adanny01(m): 5:22pm On May 28, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Its also good they mounted vertically.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by emmaak2(m): 9:08pm On Jun 05, 2017
Also, if the 20w_50 is drained and d synthetic is poured in wit d filter also changed, will it have a significant adverse effect on the engine in terms of performance and longevity??

2001 CAMRY CHANGING TO 5W20

is it advisable??
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by siina(m): 4:06am On Jun 06, 2017
Please house, how much does toyota corrolla sport engine coils go for?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:54am On Jun 06, 2017
emmaak2:
Also, if the 20w_50 is drained and d
synthetic is poured in wit d filter also
changed, will it have a significant
adverse effect on the engine in terms of
performance and longevity??

2001 CAMRY
CHANGING TO 5W20

is it advisable??

Engine will knock. Stick with 20w50
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:54am On Jun 06, 2017
siina:
Please house, how much does toyota corrolla sport engine coils go for?

Toks 6-7k each
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by emmaak2(m): 7:54am On Jun 06, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Engine will knock. Stick with 20w50

I.

Acknowledge your response
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jonpuff: 8:41am On Jun 06, 2017
MY DEAR GAZZUZZ

pls I notice that anytime I kick my car I notice a sound "water dropping sound" inside the dashboard. and if I come down from the car to check under my car there won't be any water on the floor. pls what could be the cause ....I use Toyota pencil light V6 1998 model
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by siina(m): 9:07am On Jun 06, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Toks 6-7k each
Thanks bro. I just repaired the engine but recently I noticed small oil dripping down. Dont know what that might be
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:11am On Jun 06, 2017
jonpuff:
MY DEAR GAZZUZZ

pls I notice that anytime I kick my car I notice a sound "water dropping sound" inside the dashboard. and if I come down from the car to check under my car there won't be any water on the floor. pls what could be the cause ....I use Toyota pencil light V6 1998 model

Check a.c drain pipe, it might be blocked.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jonpuff: 1:36pm On Jun 06, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Check a.c drain pipe, it might be blocked.
ooooooo no, seriously!!!! I can't remember the last time I saw water on floor and I use a/c often. thanks a lot, I'll get someone to check it. I hope it has not caused any damage to anything!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (508) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.