Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:54 AM

Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. (41277 Views)

16 Female Patients Accuse Nigerian Doctor Of Sexual Assault / Doctor Of Optometry / Is Community Pharmacy The Only "lucrative Aspect Of Pharmacy"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 1:51pm On Jun 29, 2014
Samakinr:
....if have been agreeing with you all this while, but give me one reason why you actually think the B Pharm is OUTDATED. That's really my problem...it's not even outdated in the US we are copying. PharmD has been on in the US since 1970 and yet the B Pharm is never labelled as outdated. Adeola, jxt see it like this, PharmD for clinically oriented pharmacists and the B pharm for the manufacturers, researchers, and quality controls....so i actually hate you label the B pharm as outdated. Give us respects, that's my second degree
B.pharm your 2nd degree, are you done with it ? Its not outdated but it needs an upgrade.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 1:53pm On Jun 29, 2014
Shori: and who's talking about a pharmacist ''treating'' a patient?
I was waiting for you to quote that post. Now I get, so they felt the whole issh about the pharmD is to start treating patient and doing surgery sef lol. Wetin concern agbero with overload.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 1:54pm On Jun 29, 2014
Samakinr:
k. Good girl,...heheheh. I didn't say the UCL offers PharmD. I said they run they run the M Pharm for a cumulative years of 4yrs....my dear i hope you read the link you posted. (btw, something caught my heart on your posting this,..i will soon tell ya)
ok am waiting
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 1:56pm On Jun 29, 2014
adeola_drg:

I'm a 300L student there..
wow, greatest oouite. are you currently in sagamu ? i thought you grad already with your posts. well you must be so intelligent
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 2:03pm On Jun 29, 2014
ACM10:

You still don't get it. My emphasis is on NITTY-GRITTY(most important aspects of the course).

Pathology is made up of MICROBIOLOGY, MORBID ANATOMY, HAEMATOLOGY/IMMUNOLOGY, and CHEMICAL PATHOLOGY. Each of these courses have sub-divisions. Doctors studied these courses in details. Take a look at the curriculum of the doctors in training to learn more. Studying few aspects of these courses is grossly inadequate to prepare you for the challenges of confronting patients.
Can a whole curriculum be touched ? Never,some part won't be touched, same with pharmacology, most of the pharmacology I did, some medical student didn't touch that part. Still as for the microbiology, we did it, not just a bit but for 3 years ranging from chem path to chemotheraphy to immunology etc
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 2:07pm On Jun 29, 2014
obayaya:

Ok o lipsrsealed grin
Obayaya, you never tire. Space dey if you wan enter pharm D lol cheesy
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jun 29, 2014
zeezahbee: B.pharm your 2nd degree, are you done with it ? Its not outdated but it needs an upgrade.
...no m planning to go for it. Still contemplating wether to do it here in Nigeria or waka go abroad...bt money things...u know
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by obayaya(m): 2:14pm On Jun 29, 2014
zeezahbee: Obayaya, you never tire. Space dey if you wan enter pharm D lol cheesy

Honey, I'm tired!!! I've given up.

I hate the hospitals, the sight of blood and the smell of drugs. Do you still want me to enter Pharm.D? tongue
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 2:19pm On Jun 29, 2014
adeola_drg:

My brother, I'll take time to go through that link. I find it hard to believe that B.pharm still exists in the US, Pharm zeezahbee, is this true?

What I learnt is that b.pharm has been phased out in the US. If it exists, then why do u need a conversion program to work as a pharmacist in the US?

Until I learn otherwise, for me it's outdated.
Who dos B.pharm in US again sef when you can easily do a pharm D. Well few school still offer B.pharm in uS but also have pharm D but if you do B.pharm you have to transfer for your pharm D before you can be licensedthe Pharm.D. degree is generally the more challenging of the two degrees. Pharm.D. students gain more experience in dealing with patients and working with health practitioners than do students who complete only a B.S. Students can enroll in a Pharm.D. pro gram either directly after completing prepharmacy study or after obtaining a B.S. (Those completing both B.S. and Pharm.D. degrees may end up taking longer than six years to finish the two programs, depending on the particular institution or institutions they attend.) Some pharmacy schools offer the Pharm.D. as the only first professional degree, some offer students a choice between the B.S. or the Pharm.D., and others may require a B.S. prior to enrollment in their Pharm.D. program.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jun 29, 2014
adeola_drg:

My brother, I'll take time to go through that link. I find it hard to believe that B.pharm still exists in the US, Pharm zeezahbee, is this true?

What I learnt is that b.pharm has been phased out in the US. If it exists, then why do u need a conversion program to work as a pharmacist in the US?

Until I learn otherwise, for me it's outdated.
....okay...'i got it. The PharmD is the only degree that will label you as a professional pharmacist... Truth you are right. I got my info wrong. I was actually mistaking the UK systems with the US'....BUT adeola, dnt you think there may be difficulty in career progression in this our pharmacy?... I really want to go into this drug production and research...bt the US gives preference to Biochemists and chemists for a career in medicinal chemistry...rather than the PharmD nt to even talk of the Bpharm. Holy spirit help me
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by ACM10: 2:23pm On Jun 29, 2014
zeezahbee: Can a whole curriculum be touched ? Never,some part won't be touched, same with pharmacology, most of the pharmacology I did, some medical student didn't touch that part. Still as for the microbiology, we did it, not just a bit but for 3 years ranging from chem path to chemotheraphy to immunology etc

I don't know what u mean. We have no control over the nature of ailment of the patients that we are going to meet. Hence, the need to cover the curriculum. I don't know of your centre, but such practice is not obtainable where I trained. In pharmacology, I read most of Katzung and Tripathi. The only time that we did not cover our curriculum was when I was in my 1st year(Bio courses). We touched the whole curriculum from my 2nd year till the day I finished my 5th MB exam.

1 Like

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jun 29, 2014
zeezahbee: Ewwww, abeg are you a pharmacist ? So you mean with a pharm D or B.pharm, no pharmaceutical company will employ me until I have a Masters or PHd in chemistry, biochem or biotech. Haba, does that correlate. This biochem or biotech grad are used as back up in pharmaceutical companies secondly, who told you the idea behind pharm D was for clinicals alone, even with your PHarm D you can still work in an industry. Be careful oo
...'i tell you woman, you will only be an entry level worker and remain there in huge companies like GSK(I'M not talking abt the one in Naija o)...unless you have a MPHil or PhD in something like DRUG RESEARCH AND DISCOVERY, MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY....don't be angry if a chemistry graduate is dishing order for you. You can check the prospectus of the University of Texas in Austin
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Ndababa(m): 2:30pm On Jun 29, 2014
Over here Doctors prescribe, Pharmacists scrutinize the prescriptions for drug reactions, bioavailability, contraindications n whatnot. In the event of possible adjustments, the Pharmacist writes the Doctor to suggest a better alternative since they - The pharmacists - are better aware of information on drugs. Base on the suggestion, the Doctor may adjust his prescription, or gives reasons why he wants the patient to go with his initial prescription. At the end, the patient becomes the major beneficiary of that healthy synergy!

They're called Pharmacists, by the way.

What am I saying? Pharmacy is a crucial field in the field of Health, not minding whether it's B. Pharm or Pharm D. The most important thing is; know your field well--that's the least effort required!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Shori(m): 2:33pm On Jun 29, 2014
ACM10:

Either you are coming from the mars or you are willfully ignorant for you to deny 'mini clinics', 'side labs' and 'blood transfusion' malpractices by the pharmacists. Your colleagues in the trade must be laughing at you. I can give you names of pharmacy shops manned by a trained pharmacists where the above malpractice is the order of the day. In Benue state, some pharmacist are even pushing the envelope further by doing some surgical procedures. Denying the obvious makes you appear dishonest.
Okay. . I'm waiting for the names. Maybe Pluto,because Mars is closer to planet Earth. I've not heard of any case like that in Nigeria. If such a thing happened as you said,atleast the newspapers and TV stations will have a report on it... You can save me the time checking google by giving me links to where I can read the stories about pharmacists running mini-clinics and laboratories....
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 2:34pm On Jun 29, 2014
zeezahbee: wow, greatest oouite. are you currently in sagamu ? i thought you grad already with your posts. well you must be so intelligent

Lol, m going to sagamu tomorrow.. Thanks.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 2:36pm On Jun 29, 2014
obayaya:

Honey, I'm tired!!! I've given up.

I hate the hospitals, the sight of blood and the smell of drugs. Do you still want me to enter Pharm.D? tongue
pele , oya take popcorn and coke. So you hate both pharm and medicine ? Yimu. Ok tell me what do you do ?
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Shori(m): 2:36pm On Jun 29, 2014
ACM10:

Why are you trying to appear clever by latching on one aspect of my comment? Do you think that thorough knowledge of Pharmacology prepares you enough to treat patients? What about Pathology? Can you treat a patient without knowing the pathological basis of the disease? You are picking my points selectively. That's a sign of intellectual weakness.
....and yeah I'm being selective because I can only reply the sensible part of your replies. The parts I discard either doesn't make sense or ...
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by obayaya(m): 2:38pm On Jun 29, 2014
zeezahbee: pele , oya take popcorn and coke. So you hate both pharm and medicine ? Yimu. Ok tell me what do you do ?

I'm an Engineer cool

Thanks for the coke and popcorn grin
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Shori(m): 2:39pm On Jun 29, 2014
Ndababa: Over here Doctors prescribe, Pharmacists scrutinize the prescriptions for drug reactions, bioavailability, contraindications n whatnot. In the event of possible adjustments, the Pharmacist writes the Doctor to suggest a better alternative since they - The pharmacists - are better aware of information on drugs. Base on the suggestion, the Doctor may adjust his prescription, or gives reasons why he wants the patient to go with his initial prescription. At the end, the patient becomes the major beneficiary of that healthy synergy!

They're called Pharmacists, by the way.

What am I saying? Pharmacy is a crucial field in the field of Health, not minding whether it's B. Pharm or Pharm D. The most important thing is; know your field well--that's the least effort required!
The most sensible reply on this thread so far...

1 Like

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 2:41pm On Jun 29, 2014
Samakinr:
....okay...'i got it. The PharmD is the only degree that will label you as a professional pharmacist... Truth you are right. I got my info wrong. I was actually mistaking the UK systems with the US'....BUT adeola, dnt you think there may be difficulty in career progression in this our pharmacy?... I really want to go into this drug production and research...bt the US gives preference to Biochemists and chemists for a career in medicinal chemistry...rather than the PharmD nt to even talk of the Bpharm. Holy spirit help me

If that's what you want, carry go! There's no stopping you. A pharmD degree won't stop u from going into drug production and research, it's ur birthright as a pharmacist and no one can take it away from you.

If u feel an M.phil or PhD would give u better recognition, then fine!

I don't understand how a chemist or biochemist would be given preference.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jun 29, 2014
adeola_drg:

If that's what you want, carry go! There's no stopping you. A pharmD degree won't stop u from going into drug production and research, it's ur birthright as a pharmacist and no one can take it away from you.

If u feel an M.phil or PhD would give u better recognition, then fine!

I don't understand how a chemist or biochemist would be given preference.
...'i think you may want to check this out. You will find more info to support your arguments...
http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/pharmacist/BS-Pharmacy-vs-PharmD/t62854
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by youngRx(m): 2:52pm On Jun 29, 2014
nagoma: The "wannabe Doctors" are desperate . Pharmacists , Optometrists and even ambulance drivers want to be referred to as Docrors and they refuse to go through medical school. The confusion in Nigeria's healthcare continues as we copy blindly from America.
and wats so special about d title "dr" if i may ask??
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 3:05pm On Jun 29, 2014
Samakinr:
hummmm,I don't know about that anyways. The choice is yours
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 3:10pm On Jun 29, 2014
youngRx:
and wats so special about d title "dr" if i may ask??
like seriously
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by sparkyNo1(f): 3:11pm On Jun 29, 2014
Black Swan:
Ha! Isn't it obvious that the desire to be called 'Doctors' is a huge driving force behind this development?
PharmD in other countries is like a post graduate degree but the Nigerian case is different. PharmD in Nigeria is first degree .

Pls do your research before writing false statements! PharmD is a first degree in Canada and the US. In the UK, MPharm is a first degree. It is not about the title "Doctor", the Pharmacy practice has evolved over the years and Nigeria is one of the countries lagging behind. Pharm D is much more clinical oriented than Pharm. Pharmacists are supposed to follow-up pharmaceutical care up to patient-care...not just dispensing drugs.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 3:22pm On Jun 29, 2014
Samakinr:
...'i think you may want to check this out. You will find more info to support your arguments...
http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/pharmacist/BS-Pharmacy-vs-PharmD/t62854

Well, there you have it. It's ur choice now..
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by evanscheck(m): 3:26pm On Jun 29, 2014
nagoma: The "wannabe Doctors" are desperate . Pharmacists , Optometrists and even ambulance drivers want to be referred to as Docrors and they refuse to go through medical school. The confusion in Nigeria's health-care continues as we copy blindly from America.

who is this, what did u just say- did u just refer to pharmacist as wannabe doctors ,i don't blame u. i blame the stupid system in Nigeria that place doctors above in the hospital sector. i blame the nurses for not knowing their worth and standing their ground when it comes to a matter of fact. i blame Nigeria for not encouraging investors and other foreign people when they want to set up a pharmaceutical firm. i blame psn and pcn for not living up to reputation of their name.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 3:30pm On Jun 29, 2014
evanscheck:

who is this, what did u just say- did u just refer to pharmacist as wannabe doctors ,i don't blame u. i blame the stupid system in Nigeria that place doctors above in the hospital sector. i blame the nurses for not knowing their worth and standing their ground when it comes to a matter of fact. i blame Nigeria for not encouraging investors and other foreign people when they want to set up a pharmaceutical firm. i blame psn and pcn for not living up to reputation of their name.
Omg, evanscheck, thumbs up for that. Really appreciate
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by evanscheck(m): 4:05pm On Jun 29, 2014
le bien connu: Going by the extant rivalry between the pharmacists and the doctors in Nigeria I would say the pharmacists should just concentrate on the drugs and leave the patients to the doctors. Two drivers cannot drive the same bus at the same time. At least for peace to reign.

do you know how many mistakes a doctor wud make a day, it cant amount to more than 2 loss of lives a day. but if a pharmacist makes a simple error, it wud amount to more than 10 loss of lives. pharmacist can not just concentrate on drugs alone cos after producing the drugs we cant watch its abuse so we are there to make sure that the drugs are given correctly in the most efficient way, with the proper dosing and in the right dosage form.

1 Like

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by armadeo(m): 4:14pm On Jun 29, 2014
pDude: Gloried medicine sellers grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Dnaz(m): 4:21pm On Jun 29, 2014
maybe dey want to do Obs n Gyn, paediatrics, medicine n surgery
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by armadeo(m): 4:28pm On Jun 29, 2014
adeola_drg:

U're one brilliant doctor I respect on NL. I'm surprised u still don't get the gist!

Forget the drug Lord name. Pharmacists don't just want to sit and dispense no more. That's so last century!!! We want to interact with the patients, doctors and nurses in the wards. Our mates everywhere is into this already, just naija!

Please elaborate.

adeola_drg:

There's a difference. How much time do doctors have to go to the patients bedside, and take time to talk to the patients about diff things, his medication, his lifestyle, knowledge about his disease states and all. This is what the pharmacist offers and pharmD only makes sure he's clinically loaded to help the patient. Tell me something else.

i assume this is the answer to my question. Let me pose another shouldn't you also be busy doing something else err i dunno like giving out drugs than going to a patients bedside and counselling e.g his lifestyle?

it is my belief that as a pharmacist you probably dispense hundreds of prescriptions a day. you can do a world of good by ensuring that the patient understands the prescription and dosage of medication to take. you have also interacted with the patient.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Indonesian Teenagers Are Boiling Used Sanitary Pads And Nappies To Get High / FG Converts NYSC Camps, Stadia To Coronavirus Isolation Centres / I Don’t Want To Die Like This – Woman Shot, Abandoned At Luth By SARS (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.