Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,315 members, 7,815,576 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. (41287 Views)

16 Female Patients Accuse Nigerian Doctor Of Sexual Assault / Doctor Of Optometry / Is Community Pharmacy The Only "lucrative Aspect Of Pharmacy"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Pennywise(m): 11:49am On Jun 29, 2014
Samgreguc:
The Arch. Spent six yrs and they get an Msc. Degree.(my cousin is one).
Pharm. D grad. are called Dr in US bro.

Why are architects not callesd Dr sb since they spent 6yrs. Even medical doctors in the US are mostly addressed with the suffix M.D.

Knowing our capacity to usurp titles and position, dont u think this country with a British educational heritage be left alone rather than picking and choosing what suits parochial interests?

2 Likes

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Samgreguc(m): 11:55am On Jun 29, 2014
obayaya:

You're studying pharmacy in Uniport right?
any problem?
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by eagleu: 11:55am On Jun 29, 2014
Find Out!:

Kindly produce your source for the bolded. I wonder how people like you consciously type false information and confidently click the submit button, knowing fully well that thousands of people will read what you've posted. Can you please give the name of ONE university (out of the over 4500 institutions in the USA) that offers the B.Pharm degree?

For anyone who's interested in how to become a pharmacist in the US, a simple google search which Mr. Misinformer above appears incapable of doing will produce a link like this http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Pharmacist

@Topic, I wholeheartedly support the conversion, but of course the necessary infrastructure, facilities and curriculum must be in place so that a Pharm.D. degree from Nigeria will be readily considered equal to a Pharm.D. degree obtained anywhere else outside the country.

You know you lie. Have you even been to the USA?
Many schools offer Pharm B and Pharm D, and even some only Pharma B
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 11:56am On Jun 29, 2014
joker5180: I see nothing wrong in health professionals striving to improve their skills but I always doubt the sincerity of doing so if there a hidding secrete to it.
No nigerian university award " doctor of ............" as first degree except in the case of optometry ( which is a desaster).
The degree " doctor of .......," is ONLY awarded to students who undergo a postgraduate training in form of PhD.
People who study MEDICINE AND SURGERY are awarded MB,BS( bachelor of medicine, bachelor of surgery) by universities. The title "Dr" is given by their regulatory body.
An additional year doesnt equate to a PhD.
They just want parade themselves as "doctors" in the society and nothing else.
Olodo, who said Pharm D is PHd (doctorate degree). I won't explain again so use google to educate yourself.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by obayaya(m): 11:59am On Jun 29, 2014
Samgreguc:
any problem?

Answer yes or no, then maybe we can look objectively at your clamor for Pharm.D using the facilities and the curriculum at the faculty of Pharmaceutical sciences in Uniport as a point of reference.

You game?
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 11:59am On Jun 29, 2014
ACM10:

The catchword there is NITTY-GRITTY. Even Physiotherapists/Nurses/Radiographers do study these courses too, but not in details. Does pharmacy students do practicals with cadaver? I mean dissecting cadaver region by region. It is only Anatomy/MedSurg students that does it.

Moreover, how can you treat a patient without the knowledge of the PATHOLOGY behind the disease. Don't you think that this defiency in knowledge can make a difference between life and death?
In my year 2, I did anatomy (histology and gross) so we dealt wit cadaver and pathology is a course under pharmmicrobiology in 300level. Get your facts right ok
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 12:02pm On Jun 29, 2014
Pennywise:

Its a relation. I went to visit him. I saw 2 others on drip with a young pharmD brandishing stetoscope. What insult.
that's a lie. Say something else
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 12:03pm On Jun 29, 2014
ACM10:

For the first time we are on the same side of the debate. grin

It is every paramedics desire to bear the title 'Dr', but none of them wants to pass through the medical school and study the nitty-gritty of Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology and Pathology. I was teaching a Med. Lab student Immunology, he continued to interrupt me, telling me that I was paying attention to details, reminding me that he is not a studying Med/Surg. Explaining further that he only need a general overview of the course to enable him pass exam. Tommorrow, the same guy will rub shoulders with doctors in the hospital.
soooo
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Samgreguc(m): 12:03pm On Jun 29, 2014
Pennywise:

Why are architects not callesd Dr sb since they spent 6yrs.
becos, they dint study towards it. They study towards having an Msc of which they get.
Bear it in mind that having Pharm. D doesn't mean u wunt further to Msc and Ph. D when necessary.
Even medical doctors in the US are mostly addressed with the suffix M.D.
yes na. M.D means M edical D octor and thats being specific as I earlier stated in my first post.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 12:04pm On Jun 29, 2014
ACM10:

For the first time we are on the same side of the debate. grin

It is every paramedics desire to bear the title 'Dr', but none of them wants to pass through the medical school and study the nitty-gritty of Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology and Pathology. I was teaching a Med. Lab student Immunology, he continued to interrupt me, telling me that I was paying attention to details, reminding me that he is not a studying Med/Surg. Explaining further that he only need a general overview of the course to enable him pass exam. Tommorrow, the same guy will rub shoulders with doctors in the hospital.

Don't be ignorant and like u're not. B.pharm students study Physiology, Anatomy, and Biochemistry. We sleep and wake up with pharmacology. In addition, pharmD students study pathology and pharmacovigilance with these.. Say something else puhleeeeezzz!
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 12:04pm On Jun 29, 2014
sikells:
this post is just not encouraging at all..why must doctors always have problems with other health professionals?y do they seek to control all health professions...health professionals are supposed to work together..little wonder why our health system is just nothing to write home about
on point
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 12:05pm On Jun 29, 2014
Shori: Tsk! Pharmacy students take Biochemistry,Anatomy,Pharmacology and Physiology with Pathology the only exception. . . Come up with something ''better'' please. . .

Oh we take both physiology and pathology. Thank u.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Samgreguc(m): 12:08pm On Jun 29, 2014
obayaya:

Answer yes or no, then maybe we can look objectively at your clamor for Pharm.D using the facilities and the curriculum at the faculty of Pharmaceutical sciences in Uniport as a point of reference.

You game?
yes. Bt, nt yet in the faculty though.
Next
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by obayaya(m): 12:08pm On Jun 29, 2014
zeezahbee: In my year 2, I did anatomy (histology and gross) so we dealt wit cadaver and pathology is a course under pharmmicrobiology in 300level. Get your facts right ok

This post goes a long way to show that all you guys are interested in is a fight for relevance.

If you guys do all these courses that in your B.Pharm, what else are you guys fighting for? You already have the basic knowledge to be able to help the doctors in the wards.

PCN should work out modalities that will enable Pharmacists in the hospitals have advanced interaction with patients.

Isn't that what all this is about?
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jun 29, 2014
Black Swan:
Ha! Isn't it obvious that the desire to be called 'Doctors' is a huge driving force behind this development?
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by obayaya(m): 12:11pm On Jun 29, 2014
Samgreguc:
yes. Bt, nt yet in the faculty though.
Next

Oooops!!!

Now I see why you're raising your voice here. It's all good though.

Cheers mate. Happy Sunday grin
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Samgreguc(m): 12:12pm On Jun 29, 2014
adeola_drg:

Don't be ignorant and like u're not. B.pharm students study Physiology, Anatomy, and Biochemistry. We sleep and wake up with pharmacology. In addition, pharmD students study pathology and pharmacovigilance with these.. Say something else puhleeeeezzz!
In my school curiculum, Pathology is to be done in 300level 2nd semester.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 12:14pm On Jun 29, 2014
Samgreguc: Pharm. D? B. Pharm?
Pharm. D encompases wider curriculum than B. Pharm so, a graduate of Pharm. D can do what a grad. Of B. Pharm will do. The additions starts from 400level.
Will it be of help? YES of cos.
HOW? ,
I hope the quoted tells you something.
What is it about that title Dr?
It wunt be fair if you possess a Doctor of Pharmacy degree and wunt bear Dr.
Bt, the fact that u bear Dr doesnt change the fact that you are a Pharmacist.
. . . . . Most of those studying Medicine dont really knw that their real name is Physician and dat the DOCTOR title in full is MEDICAL DOCTOR so also the pharm. D owner is PHARMACEUTICAL DOCTOR(DOCTOR of PHARMACY).
As for the person asking if we study Pathology as a pharm. Student. In my UNIPORT FACULTY OF PHARMACY curricullum(which is alike everywhere) Pathology is done in 300level. Common sense will even tell u that u must knw of a disease to bring a drug for it.
.#PEACE
let them understand. Ride on pharm

1 Like

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by LadyH(f): 12:15pm On Jun 29, 2014
Dannylux: Later y'all will scream that Doctors pride over their appellation when the title is envied by almost every other paramedic
Quite laughable.
The way they hammered the need to be addressed as doctors I doubt if they truly intend to involve the clinical upgrade which they cited as their prime aim of the protest.
Please google that word and effect changes.

1 Like

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jun 29, 2014
nagoma: The "wannabe Doctors" are desperate . Pharmacists , Optometrists and even ambulance drivers want to be referred to as Docrors and they refuse to go through medical school. The confusion in Nigeria's healthcare continues as we copy blindly from America.

I know one optometrist that prides himself as an eye doctor, forgetting that optometrist job Is limited to the lenses while ophthalmology is a whole new level which will require 6year undergraduate medical training and another 5 years of residency in OPTHALMOLOGY.
I don't argue with him based on that cos I don't want him to take it personal and feel bad, on a good day, he is a nice person.
If not, I no dey use my ear to listen to that kind of trash.

1 Like

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Samgreguc(m): 12:17pm On Jun 29, 2014
obayaya:

Oooops!!!

Now I see why you're raising your voice here. It's all good though.

Cheers mate. Happy Sunday grin
ooops what?
Yes am nt yet in d faculty bt, I relate very well with the faculty. Do u get it?
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Samgreguc(m): 12:18pm On Jun 29, 2014
obayaya:

This post goes a long way to show that all you guys are interested in is a fight for relevance.

If you guys do all these courses that in your B.Pharm, what else are you guys fighting for? You already have the basic knowledge to be able to help the doctors in the wards.

PCN should work out modalities that will enable Pharmacists in the hospitals have advanced interaction with patients.

Isn't that what all this is about?
Pharm. D has much more benefit to the patience than B. Pharm.
Read my first post pls.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jun 29, 2014
moderatorr: Why must a pharmacist be forced to do the job of a doctor?
Doctor => patient
pharmacist => drug lord
Simple
i dont think what they were studying in school was drugs for trees and insects. it has always been drugs for patients.
Name your beer brand, I will deliver it to you.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 12:25pm On Jun 29, 2014
eagleu:

You know you lie. Have you even been to the USA?
Many schools offer Pharm B and Pharm D, and even some only Pharma B

it beats my imagination when people come and say things like this.

PharmD has been the minimum requirement for the registration of pharmacists in the US for a long time now. Since the 80s! Get ur fact right!
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jun 29, 2014
obayaya:

And the emphasis of the B.Pharm is on the product?

Well, lemme go to church first.. I'll edit this space later
...thou Shalt not argue on the day of the Lord. Oya come and edit...hehehehe.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by LadyH(f): 12:28pm On Jun 29, 2014
Evergreen123:

I know one optometrist that prides himself as an eye doctor, forgetting that optometrist job Is limited to the lenses while ophthalmology is a whole new level which will require 6year undergraduate medical training and another 5 years of residency in OPTHALMOLOGY.
I don't argue with him based on that cos I don't want him to take it personal and feel bad, on a good day, he is a nice person.
If not, I no dey use my ear to listen to that kind of trash.
lmao! Still doznt stop him 4rm using the title.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 12:29pm On Jun 29, 2014
Evergreen123:
Name your beer brand, I will deliver it to you.

U're one brilliant doctor I respect on NL. I'm surprised u still don't get the gist!

Forget the drug Lord name. Pharmacists don't just want to sit and dispense no more. That's so last century!!! We want to interact with the patients, doctors and nurses in the wards. Our mates everywhere is into this already, just naija!
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jun 29, 2014
hayoakins: I won't be puzzled if the Dr.s are being threatened by having Pharm.D to compete with.
Y on earth will a doctor be threatened by a pharm.D certificate, the more u guys say these tnz, the more doctors shake their heads on you.
MBBS incorporates clinical pharmacology 10x and a host of other tnz.
Even in the advanced countries, pharmacists are confined to drugs and not patients, ranging from dispensing in hospitals to industrial work.
Everybody should mind their business
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jun 29, 2014
Black Swan:
Ha! Isn't it obvious that the desire to be called 'Doctors' is a huge driving force behind this development?
PharmD in other countries is like a post graduate degree but the Nigerian case is different. PharmD in Nigeria is first degree .
...chairman get your facts right. They do run Pharm D as a baccalaureate degree too in the us. And its only for 6yrs. In the UK, the pharmacy degree is infact run for only 3yrs. Do 4yrs, and you are a masters in pharm. I don't actually support the Pharm D...I'm just correcting you
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 12:31pm On Jun 29, 2014
the general84:
Medical students do a course called pathology/ lab medicine. This course includes: haematology, medical microbiology, chemical pathology and pathology
Microbiology is not Pathology and vice versa
Microbiology: Microbiology is the study of microscopic organisms, such as bacteria, virus etc
Pathology : Pathology is a significant component of the causal study of disease.
Pharmaceutical microbiology is a department in faculty of pharmacy so be pathology, chem path etc is under the department.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by obayaya(m): 12:31pm On Jun 29, 2014
Samgreguc:
Pharm. D has much more benefit to the patience than B. Pharm.
Read my first post pls.

You know why I asked you about Uniport?

I wanted to point out how the faculty of Pharmaceutical sciences is struggling to sandwich all the curriculum into 5 years. Not to talk of the obvious deficiency in facilities.

And you are still suggesting that an additional 1 year with whatever load is gonna carry should be added and at the end you'll be awarded a Pharm.D degree?

Like seriously?

Listen, I'm not against improvements in the curriculum and structure of pharmaceutical studies, but I don't believe a Pharm.D is the way forward.

PCN should sit their ass down and review the B.Pharm curriculum, enrich it and make it more relevant to the practice of pharmacy today. Improve the facilities and encourage research.

Pharm.D certificate with the same B.Pharm knowledge is deceit and isn't gonna help anybody except maybe the pharmacist themselves as they'll start answering doctors and can bargain for higher pay.
Samgreguc:
ooops what?
Yes am nt yet in d faculty bt, I relate very well with the faculty. Do u get it?

I get it quite alright grin

You aren't the faculty yet cry
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jun 29, 2014
adeola_drg:

We want to interact with the patients, doctors and nurses in the wards. Our mates everywhere is into this already, just naija!
OK,
But the same patients present to u at the counter, what's the difference?
And has anybody stopped pharmacists from interacting with doctors and nurses?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

FG Converts NYSC Camps, Stadia To Coronavirus Isolation Centres / I Don’t Want To Die Like This – Woman Shot, Abandoned At Luth By SARS (Pic) / Baby With 4 Legs, 2 Genitals Born In Katsina (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.