Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,237 members, 7,815,320 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:44 AM

Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. (41280 Views)

16 Female Patients Accuse Nigerian Doctor Of Sexual Assault / Doctor Of Optometry / Is Community Pharmacy The Only "lucrative Aspect Of Pharmacy"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Samgreguc(m): 12:33pm On Jun 29, 2014
Evergreen123:
Y on earth will a doctor be threatened by a pharm.D certificate, the more u guys say these tnz, the more doctors shake their heads on you.
MBBS incorporates clinical pharmacology 10x and a host of other tnz.
Even in the advanced countries, pharmacists are confined to drugs and not patients, ranging from dispensing in hospitals to industrial work.
Everybody should mind their business
now I knw US isnt advance.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jun 29, 2014
zeezahbee: Microbiology: Microbiology is the study of microscopic organisms, such as bacteria, virus etc
Pathology : Pathology is a significant component of the causal study of disease.
Pharmaceutical microbiology is a department in faculty of pharmacy so be pathology, chem path etc is under the department.
the pathology he means is histopathology, a branch of pathology
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by ACM10: 12:35pm On Jun 29, 2014
the general84: I wish I could give this post 1000 likes

Cheers mate cool
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 12:36pm On Jun 29, 2014
I expected the doctors to infiltrate this thread. Cool something!

Buh for how long is the hatred continue? Most y'all will go and work abroad and have no option but to work with the pharmacist. They don't just sit and dispense there.

Okay the national conference voted against the surgeon general thing and the pharmacists were jubilating. Tho I gave them a piece of my mind, it's very wrong and unhealthy.

Let this hatred stop plsssssssss.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by obayaya(m): 12:38pm On Jun 29, 2014
Samakinr:
...thou Shalt not argue on the day of the Lord. Oya come and edit...hehehehe.

Lol!!!

I've even forgotten I promised to edit that post.

All the courses in the the medical sciences and pharmaceutical sciences was designed with emphasis on the patients.

It has always been the patients.

Happy Sunday
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 12:38pm On Jun 29, 2014
Evergreen123:
Y on earth will a doctor be threatened by a pharm.D certificate, the more u guys say these tnz, the more doctors shake their heads on you.
MBBS incorporates clinical pharmacology 10x and a host of other tnz.
Even in the advanced countries, pharmacists are confined to drugs and not patients, ranging from dispensing in hospitals to industrial work.
Everybody should mind their business

U're wrong here ma.. Pharmacists are not confined to just drugs. Let Google be ur friend plsss
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jun 29, 2014
@ adeola_drg, if pharmacists don't wanna do only dispensing, u and I know that pharmacy embraces a lot of job opportunities but Nigerian pharmacists just wanna fixate on patients only ........
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jun 29, 2014
adeola_drg:

U're wrong here ma.. Pharmacists are not confined to just drugs. Let Google be ur friend plsss

my points exactly.
But u didn't answer my question sha
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jun 29, 2014
adeola_drg: I expected the doctors to infiltrate this thread. Cool something!

Buh for how long is the hatred continue? Most y'all will go and work abroad and have no option but to work with the pharmacist. They don't just sit and dispense there.

Okay the national conference voted against the surgeon general thing and the pharmacists were jubilating. Tho I gave them a piece of my mind, it's very wrong and unhealthy.

Am not even into the surgeon general thing cos am sure its just another copy cat of what they do abroad without any bearing to real outcome in Nigeria
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 12:43pm On Jun 29, 2014
Evergreen123:
OK,
But the same patients present to u at the counter, what's the difference?
And has anybody stopped pharmacists from interacting with doctors and nurses?

There's a difference. How much time do doctors have to go to the patients bedside, and take time to talk to the patients about diff things, his medication, his lifestyle, knowledge about his disease states and all. This is what the pharmacist offers and pharmD only makes sure he's clinically loaded to help the patient. Tell me something else.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jun 29, 2014
Samgreguc:
The Arch. Spent six yrs and they get an Msc. Degree.(my cousin is one).
Pharm. D grad. are called Dr in US bro.

That's the whole essence, to be called Dr, I get it
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 12:46pm On Jun 29, 2014
Samakinr:
...chairman get your facts right. They do run Pharm D as a baccalaureate degree too in the us. And its only for 6yrs. In the UK, the pharmacy degree is infact run for only 3yrs. Do 4yrs, and you are a masters in pharm. I don't actually support the Pharm D...I'm just correcting you
Sorry you are also wrong, pharmacy is not run for 3years in the UK, impossible, and you even said join one years and get masters, for where Wheeew. Do more research
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 12:47pm On Jun 29, 2014
Evergreen123: @ adeola_drg, if pharmacists don't wanna do only dispensing, u and I know that pharmacy embraces a lot of job opportunities but Nigerian pharmacists just wanna fixate on patients only ........

U're wrong again here. How would u say that? Diff strokes for diff folks. A lot of my classmates want to work in a pharm industry, I seem to be the only one for now and a few senior colleagues that is interested in hospital pharmacy. We've focused on the drugs for years, it's time to move on. Emphasis on BEDSIDE of the patient.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 12:48pm On Jun 29, 2014
adeola_drg:

U're one brilliant doctor I respect on NL. I'm surprised u still don't get the gist!

Forget the drug Lord name. Pharmacists don't just want to sit and dispense no more. That's so last century!!! We want to interact with the patients, doctors and nurses in the wards. Our mates everywhere is into this already, just naija!
am surprise at evergreen posts

1 Like

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by obayaya(m): 12:48pm On Jun 29, 2014
adeola_drg: I expected the doctors to infiltrate this thread. Cool something!

All these doctors vs pharmacist battle for supremacy is really disgusting.

IMHO pharmacy is a more noble profession than medicine because one drug discovered and produced by a pharmacist saves millions of lives at a time whereas a doctor's diagnosis and surgeries will only save one person at a time and he'll also rely on the drugs produced by the pharmacist to save this person.

That said, this Pharm.D whatever is so wrong and uncalled for and will drag pharmacy back.

I'm neither a doctor nor pharmacist tho grin

You promised me a data when you come back from church ma'am smiley
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 12:48pm On Jun 29, 2014
Evergreen123:

I know one optometrist that prides himself as an eye doctor, forgetting that optometrist job Is limited to the lenses while ophthalmology is a whole new level which will require 6year undergraduate medical training and another 5 years of residency in OPTHALMOLOGY.
I don't argue with him based on that cos I don't want him to take it personal and feel bad, on a good day, he is a nice person.
If not, I no dey use my ear to listen to that kind of trash.
see where ego comes in .

1 Like

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Samgreguc(m): 12:50pm On Jun 29, 2014
obayaya:

You know why I asked you about Uniport?

I wanted to point out how the faculty of Pharmaceutical sciences is struggling to sandwich all the curriculum into 5 years. Not to talk of the obvious deficiency in facilities.

And you are still suggesting that an additional 1 year with whatever load is gonna carry should be added and at the end you'll be awarded a Pharm.D degree?
as in the curriculum is too big or small? Dnt get u.

PCN should sit their ass down and review the B.Pharm curriculum, enrich it and make it more relevant to the practice of pharmacy today. Improve the facilities and encourage research.

visit
http://pcn.gov.ng/
to get the general B. Pharm must-do.
U need to go to the Pharm. Faculty result board one day.

Pharm.D certificate with the same B.Pharm knowledge is deceit and
when Pharm. D is introduced, its curriculum is introduced.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 12:51pm On Jun 29, 2014
obayaya:
All these doctors vs pharmacist battle for supremacy is really disgusting.
IMHO pharmacy is a more noble profession than medicine because one drug discovered and produced by a pharmacist saves millions of lives at a time whereas a doctor's diagnosis and surgeries will only save one person at a time and he'll also rely on the drugs produced by the pharmacist to save this person.
That said, this Pharm.D whatever is so wrong and uncalled for and will drag pharmacy back.
I'm neither a doctor nor pharmacist tho grin
You promised me a data when you come back from church ma'am smiley

I'm a guy jor!

Yeah.. Can't even remember what that was sef. Lemme check.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by obayaya(m): 12:56pm On Jun 29, 2014
Samgreguc:
as in the curriculum is too big or small? Dnt get u.

visit
http://pcn.gov.ng/Universities%20Accredited%20for%20Pharmacy%20Programme%20in%20Nigeria.htm
to get the general B. Pharm must-do.
U need to go to the Pharm. Faculty result board one day.

when Pharm. D is introduced, its curriculum is introduced.

And what's in the link you sent me? list of universities accredited for pharmacy in Nigeria? Wetin I wan use am do?

Bros Have a nice day jare.

One advice though... Don't fall trying to raise a flag grin
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jun 29, 2014
ACM10:

Are you serious?! You want doctors to earn the same salary as the pharmacist who sit all day long in an air-conditioned room dispensing the prescriptions of the doctors? It will be possible if only they come to the ward and get needle pricks from the HIV positive patients or confront Lassa fever patients. There is no place in the world where the pharmacists earn as much as doctors in a hospital. So your suggestion is dead on arrival.
....you're really a nigerian, deficient of information. Salary in other parts of the world is often a reward of what you can do, not for the degree you are holding...
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 12:56pm On Jun 29, 2014
adeola_drg:

I tire for them oo
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jun 29, 2014
I read this thread and observed people talking about Salaries. Hmmmm salaries. My question goes thus-
Do resident docs earn more than Pharmacist, Med.lab. Scientists and Nurses in the United states, Canada and other advanced climes like they in Nigeria?. I'm expecting the 'we-know-all' professionals to fall prey to this 'harmless' question.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by obayaya(m): 12:56pm On Jun 29, 2014
adeola_drg:

I'm a guy jor!

Yeah.. Can't even remember what that was sef. Lemme check.

Lol..

sorry bros grin
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 12:56pm On Jun 29, 2014
obayaya:

I've been on this thread since morning waiting for the people that understands to make their submissions.

Until then, make they throw the damn Pharm.D degree into Bermuda triangle make person hear word.
na you sabi.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Samgreguc(m): 12:58pm On Jun 29, 2014
Evergreen123:

That's the whole essence, to be called Dr, I get it
u got it wrong. I told him pharm. D grad. are tittled Dr in US to wipe off his ignorance.
By the way, if I want Dr by force, Ph. D Loss?

1 Like

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by obayaya(m): 12:59pm On Jun 29, 2014
zeezahbee: na you sabi.

Lmao!!!

Ok!!! Now step aside sir/ma'am grin
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jun 29, 2014
zeezahbee: Sorry you are also wrong, pharmacy is not run for 3years in the UK, impossible, and you even said join one years and get masters, for where Wheeew. Do more research
...ah what is this one saying...you think everyone argues like you on a factless point?.....go to university college, London...and come back to talk with me. Bro
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 12:59pm On Jun 29, 2014
obayaya:

Will you just shut up your dirty mouth.

B.Pharm is a 5 years program with 1 year housemanship. What difference will a 6 year program that includes 4 years basic pharmaceutical studies and 2 years so called clinical training make.

The truth is that Nigeria like copying things without proper review and appraisals.

Will the Pharm.D certificate make our pharmacists better? Or is it just some desperate attempt to be like every other person else?

That's the question my post you quoted raised. but you were too _stupid to understand.

Go back to page 1. I dropped a post there about a neurology ward round and the need for a pharmacist.. Goan read it..

The benefit of been clinically loaded cuts across all aspects of the pharmacy profession. From the industry to the community to the hospital. I hope I can come up with analogies later to support my point.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Samgreguc(m): 1:00pm On Jun 29, 2014
obayaya:

And what's in the link you sent me? list of universities accredited for pharmacy in Nigeria? Wetin I wan use am do?

Bros Have a nice day jare.

One advice though... Don't fall trying to raise a flag grin
oh! Dats was a mistake.
Pls kindly use this http://pcn.gov.ng
and then, try downloading the benchmark.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jun 29, 2014
adeola_drg:

There's a difference. How much time do doctors have to go to the patients bedside, and take time to talk to the patients about diff things, his medication, his lifestyle, knowledge about his disease states and all. This is what the pharmacist offers and pharmD only makes sure he's clinically loaded to help the patient. Tell me something else.

False,
doctors do that during ward rounds and clinics, or y do u think we spend time in ward rounds/clinics?
Even if doctors were not doing it before, its a doctors job cos there are many things u discuss with a patient, aside his disease and medications; there are lab results and interpretations, nursing care to supplement what nurses do, and so on.
Even lab scientists forward the px results to the doctors for interpretation, not that they cant explain it to the patient but its the doctors job, the doctor is supposed to coordinator of the findings of the nurses, lab scientists and physiotherapists from the patient.
From ur argument, nurses and med lab scientists should also come to the wards for ward rounds .
Again, I believe that u can start the help with those u meet at the counter too, if u so wish.

3 Likes

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 1:01pm On Jun 29, 2014
Samakinr:
....you're really a nigerian, deficient of information. Salary in other parts of the world is often a reward of what you can do, not for the degree you are holding...

Guyyy! U wicked oo
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jun 29, 2014
Samgreguc:
u got it wrong. I told him pharm. D grad. are tittled Dr in US to wipe off his ignorance.
By the way, if I want Dr by force, Ph. D Loss?

Lolz.
Ph.D is not M.D nah

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Indonesian Teenagers Are Boiling Used Sanitary Pads And Nappies To Get High / FG Converts NYSC Camps, Stadia To Coronavirus Isolation Centres / I Don’t Want To Die Like This – Woman Shot, Abandoned At Luth By SARS (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.