Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,940 members, 7,817,750 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (109) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (678411 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:49pm On Feb 25, 2015
sirk111:
good afternoon ma, I really appreciate you ma, for taking out of ur very busy time and answer people questions here ma. Pls ma, my interview was last 2weeks ago, visa approved, but i was told to get new medical and police, as its going to expire. I was given a white gss collection paper to submit the requested documents and passport at the DHL, and come back after 5 working days for pick up. I submited them last thursday and tomorrow makes 5 working days. Pls ma, I want to know if i should go tomorrow or friday for pick up ma. My name is Kayode.....LGS2014569045. Thanx and God bless u for everyone ma........

It doesn't look like it's been printed yet. I'm checking to see what the delay is. I don't see any problem with the case....
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:50pm On Feb 25, 2015
bahterry:
My fiancee interview is coming up shortly, but she told me that she has lost all the pictures. I sent out several pictures of us along with the Form 129F. Would u please tell us if USCIS forwarded copies of all those pictures to you in Lagos Nigeria with our Approved petition? Pls say yes they forwarded them!!

USCIS does usually forward the submitted photos to us! You should be fine.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Jchi9876: 3:10pm On Feb 25, 2015
eoc4ever:

In the Yoruba culture, the woman is considered married as soon as the dowry is paid. It's mostly done on the day of the traditional ceremony. The Yoruba culture gives more preference to the traditional marriage more than the church or registry marriage.

At v what point do people start to tag one another "fiance/fiancee? Kinda curious to me as to the best of my knowledge that tag can come with just either party acceping to spend a life together (irrespective of who proposes)

Now I understand the "tag" in itself is non-procedural and either party only needs a telephone or face to face talk with their parents individually to intimate them on their recent proposal and it is only in some cases that a small living room introduction where NOTHING i mean NOTHING is exchanged except discussions that pertain to both families wanting to know each other more (more like Dangote meeting Larry Page or Jeff Bezos at a Luncheon/meering/conference and then discussing over few drinks no CONTRACTs, no Paperworks just casual).

At this stage they are technically still dating as NOTHING is and both parties can quit without no hassles or paperwork!

My worry is why in the world do K1 apllicants proceed to the fourth stage ( first stage being knowing one another, second being proposal and technically third meeting parents) in the process which is mainly the marriage proper and this is where the exchanges occur!!!

This cuts across all tribes in Nigeria i think this fourth stage is done naively by applicants out of fear or for security of the relationship

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Bugsosar: 3:11pm On Feb 25, 2015
Thanks alot for your prompt response. i was confused as the posts i have read earlier were on 2013. anyhow i am here to ask a question i hope you will answer and help me on the issue. my visa interview for k1 was on 22nd of December 2014 in Sydney. due to the lack of documents the C.O has put my case on hold under 221 (g) and administrative processing. the required documents were later submitted through mail to the consulate along with the original passport. me and my fiance were interviewed again after the interview at consulate over the telephone. i would appreciate if you can please letme know how long the whole process takes once its under administrative processing?. theres nothing pending on my side now just waiting for their reply.

Thanks & Regards
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by MarieEyre: 3:12pm On Feb 25, 2015
I hope everything works out fine.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:16pm On Feb 25, 2015
Bugsosar:
Thanks alot for your prompt response. i was confused as the posts i have read earlier were on 2013. anyhow i am here to ask a question i hope you will answer and help me on the issue. my visa interview for k1 was on 22nd of December 2014 in Sydney. due to the lack of documents the C.O has put my case on hold under 221 (g) and administrative processing. the required documents were later submitted through mail to the consulate along with the original passport. me and my fiance were interviewed again after the interview at consulate over the telephone. i would appreciate if you can please letme know how long the whole process takes once its under administrative processing?. theres nothing pending on my side now just waiting for their reply.

Thanks & Regards

I'm afraid I don't know what Sydney's procedures are. I can only talk about our procedures here in Lagos, Nigeria.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:17pm On Feb 25, 2015
MarieEyre:
Please, my fiancee and I plan on doing our trad wedding sometime in December this year. Is it too early for him to start applying for the Fiancee visa or we should wait until we are done with the trad wedding. Note that we plan on doing our white wedding in the US. Also, what's the maximum period of time that the Fiancee visa lasts?

If you have a traditional wedding, you will not be eligible for a fiance visa. You should wait until you are married and then apply for a spouse visa, as your fiance visa will not be issued if you are already married.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bahterry: 3:21pm On Feb 25, 2015
Jchi9876:

At v what point do people start to tag one another "fiance/fiancee? Kinda curious to me as to the best of my knowledge that tag can come with just either party acceping to spend a life together (irrespective of who proposes)

Now I understand the "tag" in itself is non-procedural and either party only needs a telephone or face to face talk with their parents individually to intimate them on their recent proposal and it is only in some cases that a small living room introduction where NOTHING i mean NOTHING is exchanged except discussions that pertain to both families wanting to know each other more (more like Dangote meeting Larry Page or Jeff Bezos at a Luncheon/meering/conference and then discussing over few drinks no CONTRACTs, no Paperworks just casual).

At this stage plans they are technically still dating as NOTHING is and both parties can quit without no hassles or paperwork!

My worry is why in the world do K1 apllicants proceed to the fourth stage ( first stage being knowing one another, second being proposal and technically third meeting parents) in the process which is mainly the marriage proper and this is where the exchanges occur!!!

This cuts across all tribes in Nigeria i think this fourth stage is done naively by applicants out of fear or for security of the relationship

U nailed it.. I just recently joined n also been following this thread... thanx for ur insight

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by MarieEyre: 3:24pm On Feb 25, 2015
This is fine.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:29pm On Feb 25, 2015
MarieEyre:
We are not married yet. We plan on doing our trad in December. I just want to inquire if it's safe to apply for a Fiance visa early enough since the Trad wedding is still in about 10 months. Thanks

So you would travel to the US before you do your traditional marriage?

If you file the I-129F right now, you might be able to travel before December. But it generally takes at least six to eight months to get an appointment if everything goes perfectly, so I'm not sure you'd have time. A fiance visa is valid for approximately six months (it expires the same day the medical paperwork expires).
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Jchi9876: 3:33pm On Feb 25, 2015
VisaOfficer:

So you would travel to the US before you do your traditional marriage?

If you file the I-129F right now, you might be able to travel before December. But it generally takes at least six to eight months to get an appointment if everything goes perfectly, so I'm not sure you'd have time.

Question should be what happens to the already "fixed traditional marriage" if she travels before December and marries in the USA (first marriage) as prescibed by law?

will OP go back to do traditional after the wedding in USA? kinda weird and strange.

Would a cart rather be in front or behind a horse? Different strokes for(different) folks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Bugsosar: 3:52pm On Feb 25, 2015
Thanks sir, but still any rough idea how long are they gona hold the orignal passport till the last decision? i hope they dont take years. :S
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Lerzy: 3:53pm On Feb 25, 2015
VisaOfficer:

These are questions for the non-immigrant visa thread at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening , and also there is no way we would answer them beyond saying JUST TELL THE TRUTH.

Dear VO,
Thanks for your advice, went back to the embassy last week Wednesday and I got the visa without any question.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:00pm On Feb 25, 2015
Bugsosar:
Thanks sir, but still any rough idea how long are they gona hold the orignal passport till the last decision? i hope they dont take years. :S

I don't know why your case is under administrative processing, so unfortunately I have no way to answer the question. My advice is to contact Sydney directly. Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:36pm On Feb 25, 2015
justwise:

Technically the same, dowry comes from the woman or her family while bride price comes from the man or his family
Yeah...I know but wanted to know what people know about both. grin
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:42pm On Feb 25, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Dowry.... bride price.... idana.... etc. Or so I've been told.
Haha... brides and their families bring things to their Igbo husbands and it is called dowry. You know things to start the new unions...my mom got started with most of those items. Utensils, sewing machine etc but thesedays, most come empty handed and the focus is on bride price and it has turned to bride price + dowry for the grooms. Quite scary for most guys.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sirk111: 7:00pm On Feb 25, 2015
Ok Ma, thanks a lot for the quick response and God bless!! Pls ma, does that mean i should not go on Friday for the pick up, as i have to go all a way there at victoria island ma! Really appreciate....kayode...LGS2014569045.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bukolacole(m): 8:29pm On Feb 25, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I've attached the "green card form" here for you. Your police certificates are here; my guess is that the visas will be print-authorized today and printed tomorrow at the latest. So to be safe, Monday would be a good day to check at the collection center. You can also call the collection center before making the trip. I'd add "or you could post here" but I'll be out of the office Friday-Wednesday...
. Thanks very much ma, you are wonderful, I will check on Monday has you have suggested ma and please have you seen our passports of late ma? Sorry for too many questions over our case ma,merci madam.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jisola3000: 9:28pm On Feb 25, 2015
Hello. I have been denied US VISITING visa twice, the last denial was in december 2014, i guess the reason for denying me was because i am not married though i have a good job and enough travel experiences. presently i just discovered that i am pregnant and i would like to apply for MEDICAl visa so that i can have my baby in the US. Please kindly advice me on my chances of getting the visa, knowing very well that i was just denied visa about two months ago and my marital status is still the same. Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by LUCAS99: 4:34am On Feb 26, 2015
Dear visa officer I just received my passport from my cousin which was recently retrieved from the
US CONSULATE GENERAL LAGOS, NIGERIA. But on opening my passport I saw a “Cancelled without Prejudice” stamp on my previous expired F-1 visa.

a)What does “Cancelled without Prejudice” actually mean
b)Will this cancellation create any problem when applying for future F-1 Visa nonimmigrant Visa application
c)Will this cancellation have any impact when applying for future immigration benefits
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:36am On Feb 26, 2015
sirk111:
Ok Ma, thanks a lot for the quick response and God bless!! Pls ma, does that mean i should not go on Friday for the pick up, as i have to go all a way there at victoria island ma! Really appreciate....kayode...LGS2014569045.

Sorry - please don't go on Friday. I'll try to give you an update today. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:48am On Feb 26, 2015
jisola3000:
Hello. I have been denied US VISITING visa twice, the last denial was in december 2014, i guess the reason for denying me was because i am not married though i have a good job and enough travel experiences. presently i just discovered that i am pregnant and i would like to apply for MEDICAl visa so that i can have my baby in the US. Please kindly advice me on my chances of getting the visa, knowing very well that i was just denied visa about two months ago and my marital status is still the same. Thank you

These are questions for the non-immigrant visa thread at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:48am On Feb 26, 2015
LUCAS99:
Dear visa officer I just received my passport from my cousin which was recently retrieved from the
US CONSULATE GENERAL LAGOS, NIGERIA. But on opening my passport I saw a “Cancelled without Prejudice” stamp on my previous expired F-1 visa.

a)What does “Cancelled without Prejudice” actually mean
b)Will this cancellation create any problem when applying for future F-1 Visa nonimmigrant Visa application
c)Will this cancellation have any impact when applying for future immigration benefits

These are questions for the non-immigrant visa thread at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by stunning4real: 9:02am On Feb 26, 2015
Dear VO just want to ask, what is the procedure if a family of 3 wanta to relocate to US from Nigeria, must someone from US file for them, if so must it be a relative or a bossom friend can also?
thanks in anticipation.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:23am On Feb 26, 2015
stunning4real:
Dear VO just want to ask, what is the procedure if a family of 3 wanta to relocate to US from Nigeria, must someone from US file for them, if so must it be a relative or a bossom friend can also?
thanks in anticipation.

Good morning,

The petitioner must be a relative or an employer. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate.html has a wealth of information about the various categories of immigrant visas.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sirk111: 9:26am On Feb 26, 2015
Ok ma, thanks ma........you such an angel sent from God' I will be expecting an update today ma........
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by MarieEyre: 10:07am On Feb 26, 2015
Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lissagal: 10:31am On Feb 26, 2015
MarieEyre:
Please, my fiancee and I plan on doing our trad wedding sometime in December this year. Is it too early for him to start applying for the Fiancee visa or we should wait until we are done with the trad wedding. Note that we plan on doing our white wedding in the US. Also, what's the maximum period of time that the Fiancee visa lasts?

Traditional marriage hmmm--is that not a form of marriage--fiancee visa is meant for those yet to b married

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.