Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:24 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (132) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677281 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:29am On Apr 15, 2015
medoyin:
Please help. I just applied and booked
an appointment for July 2015,but something came up in my school and my appointment date
needs to be changed to Sept or Oct.2015

What can I do to avoid paying another visa fee??

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:30am On Apr 15, 2015
veecee29:

Sorry to bother u ma,by legal name I suppose u mean my maiden name.That is,d name on my passport?

It depends on you. Now that you're married, do you consider your legal name to be your married name? Or have you legally retained your maiden name? Your passport reflects your legal name at the time it was issued, but now that you're married, your actual legal name may be different.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by joechima: 8:13am On Apr 15, 2015
Hello visa officer Ma,how is work and everything else going Ma?God bless u and have a wonderful day.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by kemstol(f): 9:11am On Apr 15, 2015
pls i need help. i want to apply for a US tourist visa alongside with my husband and my two kids to disneyland in Florida for just two weeks. we've been to dubai and South Africa last year; i need someone to help throw light on the sample of introduction letter i can write since i and my husband are self employed and we sponsored our two previous trips, all assistance will be appreciated asap. regards
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by halaphilip: 10:45am On Apr 15, 2015
Hi VO,

I have been issued an Immigrant Visa which expires on September 17, I think because my Medical Exam was on March 17. (My wife filed for me).

Now I'm thinking, is there a way I can delay my trip to the US to sometime end of October? I want my office to work a transfer to our US office for me but it would work best if it's done in October.

What can I do? Can I request for an extension of the date, if I have to do another Medical?

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:10am On Apr 15, 2015
joechima:
Hello visa officer Ma,how is work and everything else going Ma?God bless u and have a wonderful day.

Hey, how's it going? Do you know yet when your interview will be? You've been waiting for quite a while! smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:10am On Apr 15, 2015
kemstol:
pls i need help. i want to apply for a US tourist visa alongside with my husband and my two kids to disneyland in Florida for just two weeks. we've been to dubai and South Africa last year; i need someone to help throw light on the sample of introduction letter i can write since i and my husband are self employed and we sponsored our two previous trips, all assistance will be appreciated asap. regards

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:14am On Apr 15, 2015
halaphilip:
Hi VO,

I have been issued an Immigrant Visa which expires on September 17, I think because my Medical Exam was on March 17. (My wife filed for me).

Now I'm thinking, is there a way I can delay my trip to the US to sometime end of October? I want my office to work a transfer to our US office for me but it would work best if it's done in October.

What can I do? Can I request for an extension of the date, if I have to do another Medical?

Thanks

Uh oh. Unfortunately there's no way to extend an immigrant visa (or any kind of visa, for that matter). You would need not only to submit a new medical, but also to pay the $325 immigrant visa processing fee again. So, while it can be done, it's expensive...
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by joechima: 11:52am On Apr 15, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Hey, how's it going? Do you know yet when your interview will be? You've been waiting for quite a while! smiley
very fine ma,Thank u...still stuck at the NVC..with a checklist.hope work is great ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by halaphilip: 1:07pm On Apr 15, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Uh oh. Unfortunately there's no way to extend an immigrant visa (or any kind of visa, for that matter). You would need not only to submit a new medical, but also to pay the $325 immigrant visa processing fee again. So, while it can be done, it's expensive...

Thanks.

I'm not sure the cost is a big issue. How long with the process take before a new visa is issued? Do I need to attend another interview?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by colored(m): 1:44pm On Apr 15, 2015
hey VO! what makes one qualified and eligible for an immigrant visa? I'm a final year student, I have relatives in the U.S and I will love to apply for an immigrant visa as soon as I graduate. am I eligible...?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:54pm On Apr 15, 2015
halaphilip:

Thanks.

I'm not sure the cost is a big issue. How long with the process take before a new visa is issued? Do I need to attend another interview?

It's actually pretty quick and you won't need another interview. With your visa category, the new visa would need to be printed no later than September 30, 2015 (after that date, your wife would need to file a new petition for you -- eek!). But all you need to do is e-mail us that you need to replace your visa because you're traveling after the expiration date, and make an appointment to bring us your passport, immigration packet, new medical report, and the $325. (If your police certificate is more than a year old, you'll also need a new police certificate.) A week later at most, your new visa should be ready.

As a public service announcement: This can only be done during the same fiscal year as the original visa was printed, and the fiscal year ends on September 30. The only exceptions are IR and CR visas, which can be replaced during the same or the next fiscal year. And this doesn't apply at all to non-immigrant visas; the only way to "replace" a non-immigrant visa is to apply for a new one altogether. Oh, and if it's our mistake (for instance, if we put the wrong expiration date on the visa due to a computer glitch) we don't charge $325; the replacement is free.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:59pm On Apr 15, 2015
colored:
hey VO! what makes one qualified and eligible for an immigrant visa? I'm a final year student, I have relatives in the U.S and I will love to apply for an immigrant visa as soon as I graduate. am I eligible...?

You're qualified if you have a qualifying relative who can file a petition on your behalf -- in general, a parent, spouse, U.S. citizen fiance, or U.S. citizen sibling. Some people also qualify due to their employment or investments. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate.html presents a good description of the various categories.

You're eligible if you don't have any characteristics that would make you ineligible to enter the United States -- for instance, a documented history of material misrepresentation in visa interviews, a criminal history, or certain medical conditions such as untreated tuberculosis. There are waivers available for most of the common ineligibilities.

Hope this helps!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by halaphilip: 2:02pm On Apr 15, 2015
thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by halaphilip: 2:06pm On Apr 15, 2015
VisaOfficer:

It's actually pretty quick and you won't need another interview. With your visa category, the new visa would need to be printed no later than September 30, 2015 (after that date, your wife would need to file a new petition for you -- eek!). But all you need to do is e-mail us that you need to replace your visa because you're traveling after the expiration date, and make an appointment to bring us your passport, immigration packet, new medical report, and the $325. (If your police certificate is more than a year old, you'll also need a new police certificate.) A week later at most, your new visa should be ready.

Just to be clear. Are you saying the new visa will not extend beyond Sept 30 (instead of the Sept 17 as it is now)? what happens to the medical?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:15pm On Apr 15, 2015
halaphilip:

Just to be clear. Are you saying the new visa will not extend beyond Sept 30 (instead of the Sept 17 as it is now)? what happens to the medical?

The replacement visa has to be printed by the end of the fiscal year, but its validity can extend beyond that date. As long as the visa is printed before Sept. 30, 2015, it will be valid as long as the medical paperwork is valid. So if your new meds are valid until March 15, 2016 (for example), your new visa will also be valid until March 15, 2016, but it has to be printed no later than Sept. 30, 2015.

Does that help?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by halaphilip: 2:18pm On Apr 15, 2015
VisaOfficer:

The replacement visa has to be printed by the end of the fiscal year, but its validity can extend beyond that date. As long as the visa is printed before Sept. 30, 2015, it will be valid as long as the medical paperwork is valid. So if your new meds are valid until March 15, 2016 (for example), your new visa will also be valid until March 15, 2016, but it has to be printed no later than Sept. 30, 2015.

Does that help?

Oh it does! Many thanks, as always.

I suppose i'll just delay the new medical to much later so it will still be valid for a longer date.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:32pm On Apr 15, 2015
halaphilip:

Oh it does! Many thanks, as always.

I suppose i'll just delay the new medical to much later so it will still be valid for a longer date.

Great! I made a note in your case, just in case, explaining that you're aware of the requirements and that it's okay to replace the visa by Sept. 30. Remember that we sometimes have computer issues, so it's a good idea to give us a few weeks -- if you contact us on Sept. 28, it will probably be too late to help!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by halaphilip: 3:05pm On Apr 15, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Great! I made a note in your case, just in case, explaining that you're aware of the requirements and that it's okay to replace the visa by Sept. 30. Remember that we sometimes have computer issues, so it's a good idea to give us a few weeks -- if you contact us on Sept. 28, it will probably be too late to help!

Thanks a lot. I'll make a decision within the right time period.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mabor: 3:25pm On Apr 15, 2015
Thanks for everything ma. Please I have a little concern. My husband is supposed to pick his visa on Friday but status is still showing administrative processing. I am a little confused. Lgs2013683024.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by colored(m): 3:31pm On Apr 15, 2015
VisaOfficer:

You're qualified if you have a qualifying relative who can file a petition on your behalf -- in general, a parent, spouse, U.S. citizen fiance, or U.S. citizen sibling. Some people also qualify due to their employment or investments. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate.html presents a good description of the various categories.

You're eligible if you don't have any characteristics that would make you ineligible to enter the United States -- for instance, a documented history of material misrepresentation in visa interviews, a criminal history, or certain medical conditions such as untreated tuberculosis. There are waivers available for most of the common ineligibilities.

Hope this helps!
thank you it helped!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bummiaj: 3:40pm On Apr 15, 2015
Hi vo,

I currently have a valid b1/b2 us visa and I was in Boston last year July to shop for my wedding . Now my office wants to send me for a two weeks training in Maryland. Do i need to apply for another visa or I can use my current valid visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by printemps: 4:50pm On Apr 15, 2015
VisaOfficer:

On Fridays if you show up to drop off documents, you don't need an appointment. But please remember that we are closed on holidays and on the last Friday of the month. You can also use the attached form to drop those documents off at the collection center, any time.

Good afternoon Visa Officer thank you so much for your selflessness.I got called to submit my international passport along with my new police report & medical results.I was told to bring the above to the Consulate on any of the fridays except on last friday of any month.From the above qoute you said one can also submit at the collection center but would need the "attached form to drop off" the documents.My question is: may I drop off my passport,medical result & police report at the collection center,& if yes,how do i obtain "the attached form to drop off" my documents.

Being that our marriage is over 3 years now,can I request that our visa status be updated to IR1 instead of the CR1 with which we began with,& if yes how do I go about it.Again thank you much.-A S Rufus
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by missy84: 5:18pm On Apr 15, 2015
Hello VO, I'm in the process of gathering information to begin the application visa for my fiance in Nigeria and would like some insight on some questions that I have.

1: I'm currently working full time here in the states but I'm planning on dropping down to part time status, to allow me to focus more time on my graduate studies. I will still have the flexibility to work more hours as needed. Will this be of hindrance to the application relative to showing full time working status and being able to financially support him?

2: My Fiance currently lives in another country where he is working. For the application, does his mailing address need to be a Nigerian address or can it be where he currently lives?

thanks for your responses and help

Missy
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jjarnail: 5:49pm On Apr 15, 2015
Hello VO,
I came to US on fiance visa in 2012 and we got married here after a month of my arrival. Now I am a green card holder. In 2014, we planned to do civil service here in US with family and friends. I applied a visa for my family which is in India, to come over to join us for the civil service. But they denied for visitor visa. Then I applied for only for my dad (he is in govt. job in India for the last 35+ years with good finances), he was denied again. We had a baby in the end of 2014, and I applied travel visa for my mom to come over to meet the first grand child of our family. She was denied again. We both works in govt and private sector, making good salary. I don't understand what VO wants to see at the time of interview. Why they are keep denying visas. My family member only wants to come to see us here in US. If I talk about the ties of family to India, they VO don't even look at the supporting documents. I want to know what we are doing wrong. How should I apply again? Please help.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jadesinuola: 8:30pm On Apr 15, 2015
Hello VO

1. What is the average waiting period for a I-130 petition for an alien relative from Nigeria?
2. How does a I-130 application affect holders or prospective holders of B1/B2 visas? I understand that holders of such visas may not be allowed into the US unless under "exceptional" circumstances.
3. Can you shed more light on these "exceptional" circumstances?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by oloriakinyemi: 10:49pm On Apr 15, 2015
VisaOfficer:

No thanks, your description has made perfect sense. NVC is just waiting for you to submit the requested documents.

Hello VO,how was work today?may God continue to help and strengthen you as you help others.just checking on you ma'am
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by colored(m): 11:48pm On Apr 15, 2015
oloriakinyemi:

Hello VO,how was work today?may God continue to help and strengthen you as you help others.just checking on you ma'am
what makes u think the VO is a Christian

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by adeworth1: 12:45am On Apr 16, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Right now cases filed before August 1, 2013, are current, so your case will likely be eligible to be scheduled for an interview in the next few months.
hello VO , I just check visa bulletin and saw we updated .wow I and my son finally updated for F2A. 02 AUG 2013 periodity date.its as really been a long wait without my second half.pls ma help check if we been in lagos embassy LGS2014626031 thks a lot ma
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:22am On Apr 16, 2015
mabor:
Thanks for everything ma. Please I have a little concern. My husband is supposed to pick his visa on Friday but status is still showing administrative processing. I am a little confused. Lgs2013683024.

I see what the problem is. His oath and fingerprints have expired. We'll contact him today to fix the problem. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:23am On Apr 16, 2015
bummiaj:
Hi vo,

I currently have a valid b1/b2 us visa and I was in Boston last year July to shop for my wedding . Now my office wants to send me for a two weeks training in Maryland. Do i need to apply for another visa or I can use my current valid visa.

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:24am On Apr 16, 2015
printemps:

Good afternoon Visa Officer thank you so much for your selflessness.I got called to submit my international passport along with my new police report & medical results.I was told to bring the above to the Consulate on any of the fridays except on last friday of any month.From the above qoute you said one can also submit at the collection center but would need the "attached form to drop off" the documents.My question is: may I drop off my passport,medical result & police report at the collection center,& if yes,how do i obtain "the attached form to drop off" my documents.

Being that our marriage is over 3 years now,can I request that our visa status be updated to IR1 instead of the CR1 with which we began with,& if yes how do I go about it.Again thank you much.-A S Rufus

I updated your case to show that you're an IR1. Thanks for reminding us!

Here is the form again -- just click the link.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.