Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,554 members, 7,812,776 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:06 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677609 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:45am On Aug 01, 2014
vitodorado: @ Visa Officer. I have been following this thread for a while and i quite commend this initiative from the consulate and also your tireless efforts to address almost all issues.

Please i would like to have some bit of information on the dropbox renewal process. My visa expired since May this year and would want to know how to go about it and considering what your consular General was saying on Channels Tv some days back, i kinda feel discouraged to even think of renewing my visa for the 4th time. I would most appreciate your timely feedback on this.

Thanks! Unfortunately, though, this is an issue I can't address. Please ask my colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by YettyOla(f): 11:51am On Aug 01, 2014
Ma, Is It advisable to go and pick up visas today for those interviewed on 22nd. As, I might be leaving Lagos today, and its quite stressful mmaking the journey back?

Do have a nice weekend full of smiles for all your support on here and smiles you putting on our face. Bless
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:14pm On Aug 01, 2014
YettyOla: Ma, Is It advisable to go and pick up visas today for those interviewed on 22nd. As, I might be leaving Lagos today, and its quite stressful mmaking the journey back?

Do have a nice weekend full of smiles for all your support on here and smiles you putting on our face. Bless

Thanks! Please call the collection center first and ask them if the visas are ready. We're still experiencing printing hiccoughs.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by alchemist13: 12:28pm On Aug 01, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Definitely a scam and I am so, so glad you recognized it as such. I would be very happy if you shared Mr. Joel Olaniyi's contact information with us at LagosIV@state.gov so that we could arrange to have a productive and educational conversation with the gentleman.
No probs.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Graviton2(m): 12:36pm On Aug 01, 2014
Hello, VO.

I must commend your work and kind replies. God bless you for your time and help to people on here.

I would like to know if a student who has already acquired an F1 visa but couldn't meet up with his study program at a US university because of the school's refusal to defer his admission. The school is stating that they will cancel his i-20 if he doesn't report show up by this year, this is difficult owing to some unexpected circumstances.

I would like to know if the student can still apply to a new university and use their i-20 to enter the US with the same visa for his studies at the new university for fall next year.

Please note: The student is still in Nigeria and has no intention of entering the US illegally.

I look forward to your reply. God bless. cheesy
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by johnsonadex: 12:49pm On Aug 01, 2014
YettyOla: Ma, Is It advisable to go and pick up visas today for those interviewed on 22nd. As, I might be leaving Lagos today, and its quite stressful mmaking the journey back?

Pls dont go. My family visa was approved on the 22nd of July too. My wife was at the collection centre yesterday and she was asked to check back on Monday.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olabowalebiyi: 5:24pm On Aug 01, 2014
Congratulations on your upcoming parenthood! There are two ways you can resolve this. The first would be to come back to us with the baby well before Sept. 30 (let's say by Sept. 15) so we can reissue visas for everyone, including the baby. You'd have to pay the $330 for the baby's visa, and get medical paperwork, etc.

The other way to travel with the baby is to request a "baby letter." These are no-fee documents, and your baby's would need to be issued before your Diversity Visa expires and before you use the visa. (The visa can only be used once.) Here's the guidance from the Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM):

9 FAM 42.1 N1.1 Child Born After Issuance of Visa to Parent. The child born after the issuance of a visa to a parent is not required to have a visa if the child is: (1) Born subsequent to issuance of an IV to the accompanying parent within the validity of the parent’s immigrant visa...

In this case we would consider a Diversity Visa to be an immigrant visa. smiley The baby will need a passport and I would strongly recommend getting a medical exam from one of our panel physicians. It's less expensive to do that here than in the U.S., and at some point, someone's going to want to see that the baby has medical clearance.

One way or another, we can help you get that baby to the United States. smiley[/quote]

Oh mine! Thanks so much ma for your timely and relieving response. God bless you greatly.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by PMBL: 6:29pm On Aug 01, 2014
Hi VO I have a question: How long does an additional review last, not from embassy level but from USCIS level for an I-130 petition?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by charzyh2: 6:59pm On Aug 01, 2014
VisaOfficer: Good morning, everyone! It looks like our previous thread was a casualty of the recent data loss, so I'm starting a new thread here. Nairaland, I missed you and am glad you're back!

I am a U.S. Foreign Service Officer working at the U.S. Consulate in Lagos, Nigeria, primarily handling Immigrant Visas and Diversity Visas (IVs and DVs). The purpose of this thread is to provide a forum for your questions about these types of visas. My colleagues and I will make every effort to answer all questions within two business days.

Please note that we cannot answer questions about specific cases, except as based on the information provided here in this discussion thread. Any responses in this forum are not to be taken as legally binding, as they will be based only on what you tell us in your questions, not on the information in any actual case. While we will attempt to explain U.S. immigration policies, any opinions expressed are the personal views of the writer, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Government.

We may not be able to respond to every post in this thread, and we will not answer abusive posts. Also, please don't send me private messages -- I don't even read them. If you need personal attention, please send an e-mail to LagosIV@state.gov.

There is a separate thread for Non-Immigrant Visa Questions, also handled by U.S. Foreign Service Officers serving in Nigeria, at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . Please use this thread right here solely for questions about Immigrant Visas and Diversity Visas.

All the best,
VisaOfficer

after my ND in september I want to visit US for tourism in December. Please, can my one year IT letters and documents from school stand as a strong tie to Nigeria?
Thank you sir.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by iluvweed(m): 7:30pm On Aug 01, 2014
Please can I just go to delta airlines website or United airlines website to book a reservation? How do I make payments to them? Or do I just call their phone numbers to make a reservation? I dont want to go through an agent or wakanow...Please can it be done directly?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Emmagency(m): 7:39pm On Aug 01, 2014
Hello all... my dad will be travelling to the US for a seminar/workshop sponsored by his company and he'll be having his interview next week...can anyone tell me the likely questions asked during visa interviews for this purpose...?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:55pm On Aug 02, 2014
PMBL: Hi VO I have a question: How long does an additional review last, not from embassy level but from USCIS level for an I-130 petition?

Greetings! My less than helpful answer is: It depends. I've seen them complete a review in a few weeks, and I've seen it take several months. It depends on the facts of the case and the petitioner's response to any requests for evidence, etc.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:55pm On Aug 02, 2014
Graviton2: Hello, VO.

I must commend your work and kind replies. God bless you for your time and help to people on here.

I would like to know if a student who has already acquired an F1 visa but couldn't meet up with his study program at a US university because of the school's refusal to defer his admission. The school is stating that they will cancel his i-20 if he doesn't report show up by this year, this is difficult owing to some unexpected circumstances.

I would like to know if the student can still apply to a new university and use their i-20 to enter the US with the same visa for his studies at the new university for fall next year.

Please note: The student is still in Nigeria and has no intention of entering the US illegally.

I look forward to your reply. God bless. cheesy

Please ask my colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:56pm On Aug 02, 2014
charzyh2:

after my ND in september I want to visit US for tourism in December. Please, can my one year IT letters and documents from school stand as a strong tie to Nigeria?
Thank you sir.

Please ask my colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:57pm On Aug 02, 2014
Emmagency: Hello all... my dad will be travelling to the US for a seminar/workshop sponsored by his company and he'll be having his interview next week...can anyone tell me the likely questions asked during visa interviews for this purpose...?

I would direct you to my colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening , but this is not the sort of question we answer. Your father should simply answer the officer's questions honestly. Trying to find out in advance what we will ask, in order to create the answers he thinks we will want to hear, is not a good way to approach a visa interview.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:58pm On Aug 02, 2014
iluvweed: Please can I just go to delta airlines website or United airlines website to book a reservation? How do I make payments to them? Or do I just call their phone numbers to make a reservation? I dont want to go through an agent or wakanow...Please can it be done directly?

I believe this is the wrong thread for these questions. Have you checked the airlines' websites?

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Graviton2(m): 6:02pm On Aug 02, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Thank you. I will do that.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by miz4oxley(m): 10:09am On Aug 04, 2014
Morning Ma,

Thanks for all your advice on here, even before now and before the thread was lost due to the data loss on Nairaland. It's been wonderful. I have a little correction to be made on my VISA and I have sent in a message to the LagosIV@state.gov. My name starts with AK and USCIS Registration number 634**** and case number 2014AF00017***. I hope to read from you on the next step to take on it.

Thanks in advance.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ikembadelta(m): 1:55pm On Aug 04, 2014
dearest VO,pls I have some issues I want you to help check and clarify.
We just left the consulate now,I attended the interview as advised by you.Thank you ma.Something happened that still baffles my wife and I.We were called for interview and after questions by the CO was answerd correctly, she asked us to wait for some minutes, then said my wife is not able to convince her about our relationship.
Pls ma help us confirm if we are correct. Case Number :2014AF00013895.
We will really appreciate if you will help know where we erred.Maybe your office should pay us a visit at home.I dont think I have heard something like this before,except something is wrong.
Thanks, waiting for your warmest reply.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:11pm On Aug 04, 2014
miz4oxley: Morning Ma,

Thanks for all your advice on here, even before now and before the thread was lost due to the data loss on Nairaland. It's been wonderful. I have a little correction to be made on my VISA and I have sent in a message to the LagosIV@state.gov. My name starts with AK and USCIS Registration number 634**** and case number 2014AF00017***. I hope to read from you on the next step to take on it.

Thanks in advance.

Let me know if you don't hear back from LagosIV@state.gov in a couple of days.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by miz4oxley(m): 2:23pm On Aug 04, 2014
VisaOfficer:
Let me know if you don't hear back from LagosIV@state.gov in a couple of days.

Thanks ma'am for your reply. Its regarding incorrect DOB on my visa. Thanks I hope to hear from you to know the next step I need to take and start my post visa preparations.

Thanks in advance.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:23pm On Aug 04, 2014
ikembadelta: dearest VO,pls I have some issues I want you to help check and clarify.
We just left the consulate now,I attended the interview as advised by you.Thank you ma.Something happened that still baffles my wife and I.We were called for interview and after questions by the CO was answerd correctly, she asked us to wait for some minutes, then said my wife is not able to convince her about our relationship.
We will really appreciate if you will help know where we erred.Maybe your office should pay us a visit at home.I dont think I have heard something like this before,except something is wrong.

Unfortunately, you did not convince the interviewing officer that you have a bona fide spousal relationship with the DV winner. This decision is final. Please understand that we cannot get into a discussion of the details in a public forum.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:38pm On Aug 04, 2014
Good afternoon.

I wish to find out if my wife is also eligible for the dropbox renewal program if we make a joint application.

I have previously been issued B1/B2 visas with the most recent visa expiring in a few days.

The information on renewals contained here ---> http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/niv_renewals.html states that she is qualified for the renewal category but based on the information here ---> http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/niv_dropbox.html which states my eligibility, it isn't clear whether she is qualified to use the dropbox as she has not previously applied for a US visa.

Thank you for your time.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:58pm On Aug 04, 2014
ahonohai: Good afternoon.

I wish to find out if my wife is also eligible for the dropbox renewal program if we make a joint application.

I have previously been issued B1/B2 visas with the most recent visa expiring in a few days.

The information on renewals contained here ---> http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/niv_renewals.html states that she is qualified for the renewal category but based on the information here ---> http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/niv_dropbox.html which states my eligibility, it isn't clear whether she is qualified to use the dropbox as she has not previously applied for a US visa.

Thank you for your time.

Please ask my colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . Thank you!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:02pm On Aug 04, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Please ask my colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . Thank you!

Thank you. I have reposted the message.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Adeboy007(m): 4:53pm On Aug 04, 2014
ikembadelta: dearest VO,pls I have some issues I want you to help check and clarify.

ohh dis is a very painful news, can't just believe it happen to you Ikembadelta. The Borden of Prove of Young couples is getting very scary

I was actually expecting Gud news "Visa approval" from you Just as we discussed dis mowin

I sincerely hope for your visa to be Approved as am very sure of ur marriage NOT a shameful/fake one..

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ikembadelta(m): 8:54pm On Aug 04, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Unfortunately, you did not convince the interviewing officer that you have a bona fide spousal relationship with the DV winner. This decision is final. Please understand that we cannot get into a discussion of the details in a public forum.

Thank you ma,we appreciate your reply.Pls ma,we want you to help us with the details,but certainly not in a public forum.Pls ma we want to hear the details,but dont know how.
Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by osufamily(f): 5:13am On Aug 05, 2014
Hello VO
Thanks ur wonderful oppurtunity here,a friend send this to me last night and she said last saturday the USA ambassador in Abuja was making a correspondent and saying they might stop issuing visas to Nigerians if there is a regular trace of Ebola in the country,how true is this Ma?my date of chat if fast approaching aug 14th,what are our chances ma?Stay bless
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:16am On Aug 05, 2014
osufamily: Hello VO
Thanks ur wonderful oppurtunity here,a friend send this to me last night and she said last saturday the USA ambassador in Abuja was making a correspondent and saying they might stop issuing visas to Nigerians if there is a regular trace of Ebola in the country,how true is this Ma?my date of chat if fast approaching aug 14th,what are our chances ma?Stay bless

Greetings! We're monitoring the recent outbreaks, but at this point I have not heard any plans to stop issuing visas. I promise you that if there are policy changes that you all need to know about, I will tell you.

In the meantime, the most important things we can all do are 1. wash our hands frequently and 2. see a health care professional right away if we feel sick.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Firewami: 8:25am On Aug 05, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Good news! You're the family in which the mom's first name starts with T, right? If so, the results were in that pile I wrote about yesterday. You'll hear from us Monday or Tuesday, and I think you'll be pleased.....

Good morning ma, We appreciate ur effort on our case. Pls don't forget us ma. Thank you and have a nice day.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by osufamily(f): 11:31am On Aug 05, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! We're monitoring the recent outbreaks, but at this point I have not heard any plans to stop issuing visas. I promise you that if there are policy changes that you all need to know about, I will tell you.

In the meantime, the most important things we can all do are 1. wash our hands frequently and 2. see a health care professional right away if we feel sick.

Thank you ma and God bless...
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:11pm On Aug 05, 2014
@ vo
Thanks for all your input and your response.

i have got few urgent questions for you. i applied for B1/B2 visa sometimes in july and am yet to get my visa, i sent a mail to the consular and i was told there is a technical problem with its visa processing that i will get my passport as soon as they are settled with the issues, the problem now is am getting married on the 22nd and 23rd of August i was suppose to travel early August and return by mid august in order for me to shop, get some goodies for my new home and return for my weding. (just took few days off frm work) but since the visa is delayed can i use my visa later in the year, as i am pregnant and due in december.
Please advise what i have to do, do i have to write to the consular or proceed on the trip and show them my financial capabilites at PoE. i want to be as honest as possible, i dont want to be rejected, please help.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.