Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,252 members, 7,829,482 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:49 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (679577 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:08am On Aug 11, 2014
VCTROKOYE: Hi. I am still on conversion of F2B (family sponsored) to F1. Please I want to find out the following
1. If I need to retain F2B, who between the petitioner and beneficiary should write the letter?
2. I have relocated legally to another country and would want to be interviewed in my current country of residence. Please how would I accompanied that.
3. Must the petitioner be in US at the time of my visa interview.
Thanks.

1. It's best for the petitioner to write the letter.
2. The petitioner should contact USCIS and ask for the case to be transferred to your country of residence.
3. If the petitioner isn't residing in the United States, a visa cannot be issued. But if the petitioner is temporarily traveling outside the U.S., that's fine.

Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:10am On Aug 11, 2014
lafad11: Hello VO,
You are really doing a great job ma, all I can say is God bless you abundantly. * just passing by.

Thank you o! Have a great day!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:13am On Aug 11, 2014
atinaewa: Dear CO, Pls., I need ur assistance. I made an error on my A-number when I was making my USCIS payment. I'm still in Nigeria. How do I go about the correction, pls.? Thanx

Please contact USCIS and ask them what to do. www.uscis.gov or http://www.uscis.gov/uscis-elis/immigrant-fee-payment-tips-finding-your-number-and-dos-case-id
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by HOTWATER(m): 8:29am On Aug 11, 2014
VisaOfficer:

K1 visas are only for fiances, and only U.S. citizens can file K1 petitions.

If the LPR petitioner is a spouse (not a fiance), the current wait time (from when the petition is documentarily complete and approved by the National Visa Center) is just over two years. The petition is the I-130 and the visa category is F2A.

thanks a lot for your time . I want to ask if one can be issued any type of Visa while the petition is on . E.g , Employer sponsored training or student Visa
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by maxmathew: 9:12am On Aug 11, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Good morning,

Unfortunately there's not enough information in what you've written to give me an idea of the reason for the denial. If you played the lottery in the past as someone's spouse and now you're claiming you were never married to her, that's a red flag, but it would not be the only reason your interview was unsuccessful.

Thanks so much ma,
According to what my fiancee told me.
My fiancee won dv and locate to US with her spouse, but their marital problems persisted. With their ego filled mindsets, they both reside with their families instead of living together. After 3 years, their families summoned them to Nigeria to settle their issue. My fiancee came but her spouse did not. Family blamed her for her stupid action, told her to make choice between holding on until her husband forgives her or seek divorce. She took divorce path. It was during this visit that I met her. She visited me twice. in one of her visit she stayed over 4months. Today, we have a son, who is 9 months old today.
About dv lady, she was just a girlfriend- I know am dumbest dumb person in the whole world to give my info to girlfriend to play dv on my behalf.
I know that we have alot of anomalies in the past but hope its not too late now to correct them?
Ma, what can we do to right our wrongs, for the sake of our son?
Thank you once again for your time.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:25am On Aug 11, 2014
HOTWATER:

thanks a lot for your time . I want to ask if one can be issued any type of Visa while the petition is on . E.g , Employer sponsored training or student Visa

As long as you qualify for the visa category and can convince the officer that you plan to abide by the terms of the visa, absolutely, you can receive a different type of visa while the immigrant petition is pending.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:31am On Aug 11, 2014
maxmathew:

Thanks so much ma,
According to what my fiancee told me.
My fiancee won dv and locate to US with her spouse, but their marital problems persisted. With their ego filled mindsets, they both reside with their families instead of living together. After 3 years, their families summoned them to Nigeria to settle their issue. My fiancee came but her spouse did not. Family blamed her for her stupid action, told her to make choice between holding on until her husband forgives her or seek divorce. She took divorce path. It was during this visit that I met her. She visited me twice. in one of her visit she stayed over 4months. Today, we have a son, who is 9 months old today.
About dv lady, she was just a girlfriend- I know am dumbest dumb person in the whole world to give my info to girlfriend to play dv on my behalf.
I know that we have alot of anomalies in the past but hope its not too late now to correct them?
Ma, what can we do to right our wrongs, for the sake of our son?
Thank you once again for your time.

If you have a bona fide relationship with the petitioner, she is free to file a new petition on your behalf.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by maxmathew: 10:56am On Aug 11, 2014
VisaOfficer:

If you have a bona fide relationship with the petitioner, she is free to file a new petition on your behalf.

Thank you so so much Ma, this is first good news since thursday.
We have a original genuine authentic relationship. She is my last bus- stop. Mummy david will be very happy to hear this because she has cried her eyes out, putting blames on witches and wizards from my hometown (David is our son's name).
One more thing Ma, is there anything we need to do in specific?
I pray your knowledge will not leave you or turn to foolishness in IJN.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:00am On Aug 11, 2014
I have another question in regards to administrative processing. Does the typical 60 day wait also pertain to K1 visas that were given contact sheets? Since my fiance's passport was not retained, does that mean we should expect to wait longer than 60 days? We are just trying to manage our expectations.

Also, my fiance has 2 children from a previous marriage and we have one together. He is not filing for his 2 kids and obviously not for our daughter since she was born here in the states. However, 3 case files were opened for the children as well. Why is that? I only mentioned the kids because it asked if he had any on the I129f. Again, he has no intention of filing for them at this time.

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by oyingirl(f): 11:23am On Aug 11, 2014
Dear VO, thanks so much for all your assistance,I have been following this thread for a while and now I have a question. My husband just got an admission for his PhD program fully funded from a university in Houston,he intends to apply for his F1 visa later this year and he intends applying for an F2 visa for me and our daughter as his dependents,my questions now are these,is it compulsory we attend the visa interview together;if and when by God's grace we all get our visas,do I need to go with him immediately or stay back for a while, wouldn't it affect me at POE when I later join him a few months after visa collection and lastly can I make multiple entries on an F2 visa. Sorry for the long epistle,lol,patiently awaiting your reply. Oh and one last question,can he file for us when he gets there and when I am ready to go join him,lol. Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by marymary14(f): 11:43am On Aug 11, 2014
Good day VO, finally got an answer from the embassy and I was asked to return my passport and visa package. The problem is I do not reside in Lagos,so can I ask someone to drop it off for me?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by islet(f): 12:07pm On Aug 11, 2014
Okay I'm scared! Anytime I think of the first and only time I ever went to the embassy for an interview. My hopes got dashed and I was totally truthful. I was coherent at the interview, but the visa officer didn't even listen to me. An elderly black American lady who looked mean. I had gotten a traineeship in Hawaii with the Royal Hawaiian limousine. It wasn't easy to get tops of 200 other applicants all over the world. The boss was a slave driver. I would leave for work 8am. Close by 6pm and when I got home I would work through out the night for the limousine company. Finally I was going to be someone, on my own, with no help from anyone but God, away from all the chaos and nothingness I felt working as front desk in a huge company in Lagos after abandoning my masters course( they sucked at teaching the course I wanted anyway). I got to the embassy and it was dashed. The lady didn't even want to see my documentation or ask much. It took ages to get my confidence back.

But now, on the verge of going there again ( embassy ) I'm really scared. I did nothing wrong the first time. I was truthful. Now for a different visa, K1. I'm scared. So so scared. What if the embassy again prevent me from going to meet the one man that has ever loved me? The only man I have ever loved in my 31 years? The only man I have ever dated or had arelationship with? My forever and a day. Its already been 14 months over of dating. I have only spent a week with him. I met him online. And we have spoken everyday since then. What if the visa officer looks at my face and just hate me? What will I do with myself if there is a glitch? What if this ebola ish gets to me first? What if travell is restricted due to the virus? I am terrified.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:20pm On Aug 11, 2014
maxmathew: One more thing Ma, is there anything we need to do in specific?

The only advice I can give you is to tell the truth. If you have a bona fide relationship, you'll be able to convince us. But frankly, I'm wondering why we weren't convinced in your recent K interview if you do have a bona fide relationship.

(Forgive me for sounding doubtful. All I know about this case is what I'm reading from your posts. It sounds to me like both you and your fiancee have a history of what would look like dubious Diversity Visa applications. Your fiancee left as part of a DV couple, then never lived with her "husband." You were listed as the spouse on a DV entry and your story about how that happened is very odd. So you will have to overcome this dubious history and convince the officer that you have a bona fide relationship with the petitioner -- which, from your posts, it appears you have already failed to do once.)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:23pm On Aug 11, 2014
kole10: I have another question in regards to administrative processing. Does the typical 60 day wait also pertain to K1 visas that were given contact sheets? Since my fiance's passport was not retained, does that mean we should expect to wait longer than 60 days? We are just trying to manage our expectations.

Also, my fiance has 2 children from a previous marriage and we have one together. He is not filing for his 2 kids and obviously not for our daughter since she was born here in the states. However, 3 case files were opened for the children as well. Why is that? I only mentioned the kids because it asked if he had any on the I129f. Again, he has no intention of filing for them at this time.

Thanks

We try to resolve all administrative processing within 60 days. We almost never retain passports in admin pro cases, even when we expect the processing to be very quick.

I'm not sure what you mean by "three case files." Do you mean all three children appear as his derivatives? That could be a data entry error. If so, it won't affect the processing of the case in any way, but it's a good idea to e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov and make sure we clarify the situation in our records.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:24pm On Aug 11, 2014
oyingirl: Dear VO, thanks so much for all your assistance,I have been following this thread for a while and now I have a question. My husband just got an admission for his PhD program fully funded from a university in Houston,he intends to apply for his F1 visa later this year and he intends applying for an F2 visa for me and our daughter as his dependents,my questions now are these,is it compulsory we attend the visa interview together;if and when by God's grace we all get our visas,do I need to go with him immediately or stay back for a while, wouldn't it affect me at POE when I later join him a few months after visa collection and lastly can I make multiple entries on an F2 visa. Sorry for the long epistle,lol,patiently awaiting your reply. Oh and one last question,can he file for us when he gets there and when I am ready to go join him,lol. Thanks.

In this case does F1 refer to a student visa? If so, please ask my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:24pm On Aug 11, 2014
marymary14: Good day VO, finally got an answer from the embassy and I was asked to return my passport and visa package. The problem is I do not reside in Lagos,so can I ask someone to drop it off for me?

That should be fine. Please write and sign a letter for that person to carry so we know what's going on. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:29pm On Aug 11, 2014
islet: But now, on the verge of going there again ( embassy ) I'm really scared. I did nothing wrong the first time. I was truthful. Now for a different visa, K1. I'm scared. So so scared. What if the embassy again prevent me from going to meet the one man that has ever loved me? The only man I have ever loved in my 31 years? The only man I have ever dated or had arelationship with? My forever and a day. Its already been 14 months over of dating. I have only spent a week with him. I met him online. And we have spoken everyday since then. What if the visa officer looks at my face and just hate me? What will I do with myself if there is a glitch? What if this ebola ish gets to me first? What if travell is restricted due to the virus? I am terrified.

I promise you that we don't look at people's faces and just hate them. smiley

As we told someone else earlier today via e-mail: "There are no Ebola-related travel restrictions for visa applicants in Nigeria at this time. You may wish to monitor the website of the U.S. Mission to Nigeria at http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/ for possible updates."
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:31pm On Aug 11, 2014
Please keep in mind that you can easily protect yourself from Ebola. Attached is a graphic from Nigeria's Federal Ministry of Information for you to share with your families, friends, and coworkers.

Let's all be careful and sensible and we will all get through this together!

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by maxmathew: 2:10pm On Aug 11, 2014
VisaOfficer:

The only advice I can give you is to tell the truth. If you have a bona fide relationship, you'll be able to convince us. But frankly, I'm wondering why we weren't convinced in your recent K interview if you do have a bona fide relationship.

(Forgive me for sounding doubtful. All I know about this case is what I'm reading from your posts. It sounds to me like both you and your fiancee have a history of what would look like dubious Diversity Visa applications. Your fiancee left as part of a DV couple, then never lived with her "husband." You were listed as the spouse on a DV entry and your story about how that happened is very odd. So you will have to overcome this dubious history and convince the officer that you have a bona fide relationship with the petitioner -- which, from your posts, it appears you have already failed to do once.)

I agreed with you 100%. I prepared myself with paper evidence and failed in 'verbal evidence' because all I heard from people is keep your answers short and simple, that was what I did. However, none of my paper evidence was checked by visa officer except our son's birth certificate. I've learnt my lessons.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by osablink: 3:51pm On Aug 11, 2014
Hello sir, I know almost noting about traveling to US but am planing to travel to US to study and work and I need your advice to enable me know how to go about it. Thanks in advance.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:03pm On Aug 11, 2014
osablink: Hello sir, I know almost noting about traveling to US but am planing to travel to US to study and work and I need your advice to enable me know how to go about it. Thanks in advance.

These are questions for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening -- but you will need to ask something much more specific if you hope to receive a substantive answer.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Goodybag(m): 1:11am On Aug 12, 2014
Good morning VO, can't just stop being addicted to this forum, your dexterity at answering all queries always keep me in awe! With all sincerity, I have benefited a lot from your um-presuming counsel.
How I wish you are my dissertation Supervisor, it could have been to a fault prodigious, grin grin grin!
More power to your elbow ma and great Job!!

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by akings26: 7:22am On Aug 12, 2014
Hello v.o, I applied for a visitors visa at the U.S embassy and while filling my form online, I filled my status as single while Am married. At a point, I went back to retrieve my form and changed the status to married. The interview came up 11th August and I was denied. I have a feeling it's because I went back to change my status. My question now is, do I have any chance when I re-apply a next time? Will I not still be denied considering the mistake I made the first time? Please I need response ASAP.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:34am On Aug 12, 2014
akings26: Hello v.o, I applied for a visitors visa at the U.S embassy and while filling my form online, I filled my status as single while Am married. At a point, I went back to retrieve my form and changed the status to married. The interview came up 11th August and I was denied. I have a feeling it's because I went back to change my status. My question now is, do I have any chance when I re-apply a next time? Will I not still be denied considering the mistake I made the first time? Please I need response ASAP.

These are questions for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening -- but just tell the truth, and if you qualify for the visa, you'll get a visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by AREOLA: 11:57am On Aug 12, 2014
Our Amiable visa officer,God bless U̶̲̥̅̊
nd all dt is urs 4 d gud work U̶̲̥̅̊
r doin in nairaland.despite ur tight schedule @ work, U̶̲̥̅̊
still create time to answer all d ?s in nairaland U̶̲̥̅̊
r indeed a rare gem.U̶̲̥̅̊
will continue to make progress in all ur endeavours in Jesus Name.God bless U̶̲̥̅̊
ma!do av a fruitful day.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 1:18pm On Aug 12, 2014
VisaOfficer:

We try to resolve all administrative processing within 60 days. We almost never retain passports in admin pro cases, even when we expect the processing to be very quick.

I'm not sure what you mean by "three case files." Do you mean all three children appear as his derivatives? That could be a data entry error. If so, it won't affect the processing of the case in any way, but it's a good idea to e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov and make sure we clarify the situation in our records.

As you advised, I sent an email to LagosIV@state.gov, requesting to clarify the situation. It seems that the request was not even read nor addressed. This is the email that I received. I never asked what the status of our case was.

"Thank you for your email.

The administrative processing is actively being worked on.  As noted previously, once we have completed our work, we will contact the beneficiaries to schedule a return appointment at the Consulate.

Sincerely,"
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:33pm On Aug 12, 2014
kole10:

As you advised, I sent an email to LagosIV@state.gov, requesting to clarify the situation. It seems that the request was not even read nor addressed. This is the email that I received. I never asked what the status of our case was.

"Thank you for your email.

The administrative processing is actively being worked on.  As noted previously, once we have completed our work, we will contact the beneficiaries to schedule a return appointment at the Consulate.

Sincerely,"

You should receive another e-mail promptly. Thank you for letting me know.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tosinjoe(m): 3:21pm On Aug 12, 2014
Hi vo I wanna thank you for the assistance and support you gave before our interview. I picked up our visa yesterday. Probably I don't understand, under occupation, it's written as students/children under 16, yes I'm a student but what's d oda part??
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:24pm On Aug 12, 2014
tosinjoe: Hi vo I wanna thank you for the assistance and support you gave before our interview. I picked up our visa yesterday. Probably I don't understand, under occupation, it's written as students/children under 16, yes I'm a student but what's d oda part??

Think of it as "student OR child under 16" -- in this case, you're a student, but the computer lumps both categories together. It's the computer trying to explain to itself why you're not employed. Computers don't think the same way people do. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:46pm On Aug 12, 2014
VisaOfficer:

You should receive another e-mail promptly. Thank you for letting me know.

Thanks so much for your help!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tosinjoe(m): 4:13pm On Aug 12, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Think of it as "student OR child under 16" -- in this case, you're a student, but the computer lumps both categories together. It's the computer trying to explain to itself why you're not employed. Computers don't think the same way people do. smiley
oh I c, thanks a lot
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by JehovahFavor(m): 10:06pm On Aug 12, 2014
Dear VO, accept my appreciation for your guidance on how to go about processing my children's visas. I wrote your embassy as advised by you and they responde d promptly and have scheduled us for 12/09/2014 by 7.00a.m. Thank you greatly. May i know please if its compulsory that i do the childr en's medicals at the same hospital where my madam and i did ours? I just discovered that their charges are higher there than the second hospital and so wish to change it. Awaiting your response. Have a splendid nite rest.

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.