Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (196) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (678294 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:07am On Aug 10, 2015
MarieEyre:
The VO is leaving?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 shocked Who is going to answer all my questions!!!!!!!!!!! cry cry cry sad VO please come back cry. I have just one question. I promise I won't ask again sad The Consulate sent me an email to go ahead and make payment in GTB for my K1 visa application and schedule an interview online. My question is am I supposed to get a packet 3 sent to my mailing address or I should make do of the attachments to the email which includes: Interview prep packet, IMBRA pamphlet, Medical exam referral letter. Please respond sad

Please use the documents attached to the e-mail. We find e-mail more reliable and quicker than regular mail. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:07am On Aug 10, 2015
dammie12:

I'm LPR and i have been in the States for over 6 years.
Also, if a case is complete by NVC, is it compulsory it has to wait for its priority date before its sent to Lagos or it can be sent to Lagos as soon as its completed by NVC?

Yes, all cases must wait for their priority dates to become current before they are sent to post. (The only exception is Immediate Relative [IR] cases, which are always automatically current.)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:09am On Aug 10, 2015
blinkdr:
i mean after the visit of a field investigator how long will it take for a reply from the embassy

It depends. It's possible that the field investigation answered all our questions, but it's also possible that we're waiting to hear back from other sources as well. Sorry I can't be more definitive. But, in general, if the field investigation is complete, chances are good that you'll hear from someone very soon.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:11am On Aug 10, 2015
winnie123:
Dear VO, pls i will like to know if there is a particular hospital i can do my medicals, Secondly there was a post earlier that smone said you have to get an attestation from National Population Commission aside the usual birth certificate issued by hospital of birth, pls how true is it.

Thank you i await ur response.

You'll need to see one of our panel physicians for your medical paperwork. http://photos.state.gov/libraries/nigeria/487468/pdfs/PANELl_Phys_handout_Applicant.pdf has their contact information.

Hospital birth certificates aren't acceptable for immigration purposes, generally speaking. We prefer to see birth certificates issued by a government office, which in Nigeria typically means the NPC.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:14am On Aug 10, 2015
nazn:

Thanks a lot for your response, what type of waiver it would be and how difficult it would be for me to overcome it..

Based solely on what you've written here: It sounds like the ineligibility would be under INA 212(a)(6)(C)(i), material misrepresentation. The application for a waiver is the I-601, and in my experience USCIS is typically generous about granting waivers for situations like the one you've described. I can't guarantee that, of course, but it does sound like you have a good chance of success.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:18am On Aug 10, 2015
9jaStar:
Hi VO,

I wasn't going to ask this until much later. But I might as well now before you leave for good. Sadly.

Been married over 10 years. Wife and kids are all USCs. But only filed late last year (don't ask me why. Let's just blame procrastination).

My documemts are at NVC. May be another month before they get in touch.

What I need to know is, would I need to go through that whole hoop of getting and printing photos of marriage, engagement, etc?

We already have marriage certificate, plus kids' birth certificates. Plus our house in the US has both our names on.

I'm just trying to do the minimum possible as I'm not the most organized person in the world and I really do not want to go digging up old pictures if I don't have to.

It's a good idea to bring evidence to the interview -- but the most important thing will be the interview itself. As long as your wife can reasonably discuss your relationship, a lack of photographs shouldn't really count against anyone. The fact that you have children, plural, together is pretty good evidence that you two have an ongoing relationship. So, if your photos aren't easily accessible, I wouldn't worry about that too much, personally.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:19am On Aug 10, 2015
john2son5:
Good morning dear VO,

My wife is filing i 130 for me.

All my school original certificates and marriage original certificate are laminated.

Someone told me that laminated original certificates may not be accepted or allowed for verification during interview.

Please dear VO, is this information true?

Is anything wrong with my laminated original certificates for verification during my interview?

Thanks and God bless

We accept laminated documents. It's true that we prefer to see them unlaminated, but we know that many people choose to laminate them to keep them safe, so it's not a disqualification or a strike against the applicant.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:21am On Aug 10, 2015
Sumerah:
Good Morning,

Please can you help me find out if my husbands Visa is ready for pick-up. I was issued on 7/27... I have tried to track it but have not been successful.

LGS2015537022

Thank You
SUmerah

Sorry, I'm not in Nigeria any more and don't have access to that information! You could call the collection center, or e-mail LagosIV@state.gov....
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:22am On Aug 10, 2015
Dyke004:
Hello everyone,
I know this issues have been treated here but i cant find them now, kindly help me with the answers
How long does it usually take the embassy to attend to the application filed by your brother on your behalf.
If I have a valid visit visa and my brother decided to file for me, will the visit visa have any effect on the filing.
Thank you

The wait time for F4s (sibling visas) is running around 12 years. It's fine to use your non-immigrant (tourist) visa while you have an immigrant petition pending -- no problem at all.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:25am On Aug 10, 2015
kennydree:

I got your really prompt response last week, thanks so much. I am still in need of the list of documents or requirements and processes for getting the boarding foil. Is there a link to the documents, as an alternative? I'm a bit confused as the information on the US Embassy Nigeria website is not clear to me.

When I request the interview and get one via the email, is there a list of documents that I need to bring along?

Looking forward to receiving the documents. Please help me. Thanks

Let's see if I can attach the documents here.... Ha! I can! (I sent myself all the documents I could by e-mail, for use at my next assignment... no desire to reinvent the wheel.) Here you go.

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:30am On Aug 10, 2015
olukenny12:
Hello sir,

Pls I have to questions to ask

1. After my dna test has been carry out on the 19 aug and I was told that it will be send to the us lab that day pls how many days will it take to get the result bck

2. Is it the same day my result arrive to the embassy. I will be call to come the next day for my result collection

3. If the dna result match will i be ask to drop my passport that same day after no other document are required.

Thank you.

It generally takes only a few weeks for the laboratory to send the results to post. But after that happens, it can take another week or two for post to contact you. Embassies and consulates get a lot of mail, which has to be sorted -- then the cases have to be pulled and matched with the results -- results scanned into the relevant computer records -- cases reviewed by an officer -- and only at that point can the applicants be contacted for follow-up. So, unfortunately, it's not instantaneous. But we know families are eagerly waiting to hear from us, so we do it all as quickly as we can.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:31am On Aug 10, 2015
MarieEyre:
Please I can't upload my passport photo on the DS-160 form online as there is no provision for passport upload on the screen. Or are we meant to bring a passport photo to the Consulate. Please this question is directed at anyone that has filled his/her form. Thank you.

You should bring two passport-sized photos with you to your interview. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:35am On Aug 10, 2015
torawno:
The kind of good karma you must take for helping ppl like this!

Here's my story smiley

Im a US citizen and I had applied for my son's immigration in 2009. Last week, I got a packet from the National Visa Center. The PAOSF welcome letter indicated that we now need to take this forward submit fee etc.

In the past few years, my son's status has changed. We weren't able to update his application with so much happening. He got married and got divorced. He has not children and he's been traveling as well for work. Meanwhile he also got a Canadian PR so now he's living in Toronto. He hasn't applied to visit us in the US yet, but was planning to. Obviously, with his country of birth Passport, he would need a visa even as a Canadian PR. We were told to not apply for a visit visa as this would automatically potentially disqualify him for a visit visa. Now with the PASOF NVC letter, where does that leave us?

With what little we were able to ask around, we were told that we should proceed as stated in the letter. Select agent (myself - father), pay fee. On the DS260 I can update all my son's info including address, marital status etc. He will be required to submit a copy of his divorce decree together with his other civil documents. Since his residence is already in Canada, he may include a short letter requesting that he be interviewed at the US Embassy in Canada. Of course with proof of residency.

Does this sound legit?

Sounds legit! And, since your son is now divorced, from our point of view his marital status is "unmarried," just as it was when you filed for him. So it doesn't matter if you didn't keep NVC updated; you can just list him as divorced in the DS-260.

It is more difficult to qualify for a non-immigrant visa when there's an immigrant petition pending, but it's not impossible. If he wants to come visit you in the meantime, there's no harm in applying for the non-immigrant visa; the worst thing that can happen is that he'll be refused. But that wouldn't adversely affect his immigrant petition in any way.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:43am On Aug 10, 2015
Keyla11:
Hello sir,
I would love if you could answer my question.
I am Italian, 25, and about to apply for a K-1visa with my American Fiancè.
We've been dating for almost 2 years now, and met each other 6 times already in different countries (he is visiting me in italy right now), been talking every day and taking pictures, so we have a lot of proofs of our relationship.
The problem is that on July 1st I was refused a F1 visa, based on 214(b)-lack of ties with my country- (because I travelled a lot in the past 3 years), to go to the USA for 2 years to study.
My concern is not much the refusal, but the fact that when I was asked who "Austin Bleep" was (my by now fiancè, and boyfriend back then) , I answered "a friend", and then I was asked "just a friend?" and I said "yes" because I was so nervous and I thought that having a boyfriend there it would have been a reason more to have the visa granted.
The reason why they knew his name, was because when in December I went to visit him on an ESTA, I told I was there to visit my boyfriend, and I told them his name when asked. I didn't remember about this at the F-1 interview.

Now, my problem is: when AND IF i will be at the interview, and I will be asked "why I said we were just friends", could I say "because I was nervous and scared"? What would be the consequences? I feel so dumb about what I said..but I would rather admit the truth now. But I really don't want to be banned from the USA, I want to be able to be with my Fiancè...
What do you recommend?

Thanks so much for your time!!!
All the best

Greetings! Personally I think that "because I was nervous and scared" is a perfect answer in this situation. We know that people want to visit their fiancés, and that they often don't tell us they're engaged because they're afraid they won't get a visa. But that's not the sort of misrepresentation that leads to a permanent ineligibility. Based on what you've written here, I wouldn't worry about being banned. We save bans for violations that are a little more serious than what you describe. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:44am On Aug 10, 2015
Elvisabo:
HELLO SIR

My name is Elvis i applied for an f1 visa two weeks ago in ukraine, cause i graduated last year as a computer engineer and did my intershape for eight months .now i got an admission from a university in the united state(master computer sc) and i applied for an f1 visa but i was refused i was told that i don't have strong ties that i have better changes in my home country (nigeria) but most of my classmate got their visa from ukraine too same week and the week before now im thinking of reapplying cause i have all the right documents , i felt i was been racially profiled that day . cause the ukrainians that was there going for study they could not even prove as much document has i have or explaine there self and with less question and they were issued visa. in the forum when applying it was wask if i have been refused a US visa ( i will say yes ) but i ask to explain why ? what should i say

Technically this is a question for the non-immigrant visa thread. But I think you can just write what you've written here, that the officer said you didn't show strong ties.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:56am On Aug 10, 2015
Andac:
in 2002 my grandmother a US Citecen fild the form for f3 imigration visa for my father. I was 14 years old at that time. Last year we were all aproved for imigrant visa and we are wayting for the interview. in 2010 I gost maried and i am getting the papers in my new name.in 2011 a gave birth to my daughter. my question is Which is the fastest way to tahe my child and husbund to the us with me? and how long does it take? we are Romanian citecen. i hope you can enlithen me in this situation. i have never been apart from my child more that 24 hours

Buna seara! Ce bine este sa primesc o intrebare din Romania! Din pacate, raspunsul nu va fi cel dorit. Dvs. ati fost "derivative applicant" la tatal dumneavoastra... dar doar copii necasatoriti pot fi inclusi ca si solicitanti derivati. Acum ca sunteti casatorita, nu puteti sa primiti viza F33. sad

Tatal dvs. poate sa depuna o petitie de imigrant (I-130) pentru dvs. si familia, dar nu poate s-o faca inainte de a deveni cetetean american. sad

Imi pare rau ca nu pot sa va dau vesti mai bune.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:59am On Aug 10, 2015
Filipe4:
Nice to be part of this forum....I have this question... I live in Europe...having my good work ..with contract. my wife an kid is citizen of Holland..I applied for non immigration visa in embassy of America. In Holland..but they rejected me base on I don't have resident permit in Holland.. but can I reapply in my country Nigeria... but lo grime have not being in Nigeria.. What is d chances of getting d visa in Nigerian l

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:00am On Aug 10, 2015
IdiAmin1:
Hi VO, please I'm not clear on something about my wife's F2A visa.

My wife's priority date is in September 2014 and I think the visa bulletin's cut off is still in Nov 2013 but I just got a mail from NVC telling me they have started processing her case.

They asked me to start the six stages of the process of which I have already put my name as her agent.

Does it mean she will be through before her priority date or what? I'm happy but confused about it.

It sounds to me like they're working to get the petition approved and the case documentarily complete, so that it will be ready to schedule as soon as the priority date becomes current. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:03am On Aug 10, 2015
Joboms:
Hi guyz
Pls who can explain to me in details meaning of visa bulletin and how to check for IR2 category
Priority date : August 27th 2013
Tnx

Your priority date is the date that your petition was filed with USCIS. But as an IR2, you don't need to worry about your priority date. As soon as your petition is approved and your case is documentarily complete, it will be scheduled for the next available interview. Immediate Relative (IR) cases are always current -- no waiting period.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:05am On Aug 10, 2015
AREOLA:
Dear VO,
Please I need you to help me with this question even though it's a non immigrant question though, my sister want to adopt my niece she is 11 years old because my brother who happened to be her father died 2 weeks ago and there's no one to take care of her again because the mom is not with her too.
Now, she is thinking of inviting her first for visitation and then go back to nigeria to start the adoption process.
Now, my question is Wil she attend interview since she is just 11yrs old or is it drop box that should be done for her? Awaiting ur answer ma'am.

My condolences for your loss. In this case, your niece will definitely need to attend an interview. Even if she were otherwise eligible for dropbox, in this situation the officer will want to speak to her in person.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:06am On Aug 10, 2015
DV2015APPLICANT:
Dear VO ,
If a post rescheduled a Diversity Visa Interview without the request of the applicant , and later after the rescheduled interview was conducted , the post found out that the visas slots reserved were gone cause of not being used at the time scheduled originally by KCC , what can the post do at this stage .? What can the applicant do ? Your answer will be highly appreciated

This doesn't sound like a situation that would arise in Nigeria, and I can't speak for any other post. I'd e-mail the post directly and ask them for guidance.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:13am On Aug 10, 2015
That was fun. I missed you guys. Here's a picture of me being attacked by one of my cats.

18 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:19am On Aug 10, 2015
VisaOfficer:

It sounds to me like they're working to get the petition approved and the case documentarily complete, so that it will be ready to schedule as soon as the priority date becomes current. smiley
OK. Thanks for your prompt and reassuring response.

So, you mean they can't schedule her for interview until her priority date becomes current? Damn, and I was already hoping she will be here soonest. angry

Please one more question, what if she gives birth in Nigerian before she is issued a visa? Will my child not be able to come over with her?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:23am On Aug 10, 2015
IdiAmin1:
OK. Thanks for your prompt and reassuring response.

So, you mean they can't schedule her for interview until her priority date becomes current? Damn, and I was already hoping she will be here soonest. angry

Please one more question, what if she gives birth in Nigerian before she is issued a visa? Will my child not be able to come over with her?

Yes, that's right, she'll have to wait until her case is current before it can be scheduled for an interview. The good news is that because you're an LPR, the child can be included as a derivative in her case -- you wouldn't need to file a new petition (and wait for it to be approved, etc.). That's one of the few advantages LPRs have over U.S. citizens.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:56am On Aug 10, 2015
VisaOfficer:
That was fun. I missed you guys. Here's a picture of me being attacked by one of my cats.
wao cute cat.

I'm glad you had fun. Thanks for your help ma'am.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by enye2000: 8:59am On Aug 10, 2015
yeaa....our v.o is back
..i was worried now dat am abt to start my k1 visa application...who ll guide and direct me as she ve been doing for others...great to hv u back ma..say hi to your pet cat for me....WELCOME MA
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 9:38am On Aug 10, 2015
VisaOfficer:

grin grin grin

Welcome back
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by kennyzita(f): 11:42am On Aug 10, 2015
Hi Visa Officer,

Please what documents are required for a F2 visa interview? The F1 applicant enrolled in school since August 2014 and has not missed any semester.

The F2 applicant is the spouse.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:21pm On Aug 10, 2015
kennyzita:
Hi Visa Officer,

Please what documents are required for a F2 visa interview? The F1 applicant enrolled in school since August 2014 and has not missed any semester.

The F2 applicant is the spouse.

Thank you.

I'm not familiar with student visa requirements. This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sumranbi: 10:13pm On Aug 10, 2015
Not sure if you're still answering questions but I need answers so I'll just ask. I am a DV winner from NBO (principal applicant) with a husband and a daughter and a child on the way in November.we're current but was shocked that they found a small scar on the husband's CXR. He has been asked to undergo sputum testing which requires 2 months culture. That means his result will be out around 10th of October 10 days after the 30 September deadline.
In such a case will our visas be issued except his or do none of us get it?
Or can the Embassy issue the visas and detain all our passports until his TB clearance comes in. In case the sputum comes back positive, they can cancel the visas without prejudice? This is because clearance can only come in 2 weeks after end of dv 2015.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by winnie123: 10:23pm On Aug 10, 2015
Dear Vo,

I can't open the Link you sent to me.

VisaOfficer:

You'll need to see one of our panel physicians for your medical paperwork. http://photos.state.gov/libraries/nigeria/487468/pdfs/PANELl_Phys_handout_Applicant.pdf has their contact information.

Hospital birth certificates aren't acceptable for immigration purposes, generally speaking. We prefer to see birth certificates issued by a government office, which in Nigeria typically means the NPC.

(1) (2) (3) ... (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.