Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,208 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:46 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (197) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (678680 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:04am On Aug 11, 2015
Welcome new Visa Officer and I hope that you enjoy your new job. Thank you for taking the time out to help us all here. It is greatly appreciated.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by amazinglove: 2:31am On Aug 11, 2015
Welcome back, dear VO!
Lagos Consulate General told me about 2 weeks ago they would schedule my spouse's interview as soon as they received our case paper documents. It's been a week since the documents were delivered at the consulate but no interview date yet. I have sent an email but no reply. Do you have any idea what could be going on there?
Thank you , Ma'am.
V/R,
Amazinglove
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Godwinadebanjo9(m): 9:41am On Aug 11, 2015
Good Morning VO.. You welcome back ,Me and my wife got Married in April 14,2014 my wife submited my submited my petition to VSC for the past 16th months now we have not been approve. we have did a lot of things by sending service request and contacted the Congressman and senators. they were all telling us we are on security check. Ma,what can we do or who can we contact because this getting too long for 16 Month at uscis and after then my do visit Nigeria
My second question that I intend to apply for visiting visa inorder to spend my vacation period and to be with my wife families on thanksgiving day...please i my qualify to apply for visiting and what do i need. Thank you and God bless you ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by winnie123: 11:38am On Aug 11, 2015
Dear Vo,

Having mentioned the bellow, does CR-1 have to look for priority date for the case to be current?

VisaOfficer:

Your priority date is the date that your petition was filed with USCIS. But as an IR2, you don't need to worry about your priority date. As soon as your petition is approved and your case is documentarily complete, it will be scheduled for the next available interview. Immediate Relative (IR) cases are always current -- no waiting period.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:27pm On Aug 11, 2015
sumranbi:
Not sure if you're still answering questions but I need answers so I'll just ask. I am a DV winner from NBO (principal applicant) with a husband and a daughter and a child on the way in November.we're current but was shocked that they found a small scar on the husband's CXR. He has been asked to undergo sputum testing which requires 2 months culture. That means his result will be out around 10th of October 10 days after the 30 September deadline.
In such a case will our visas be issued except his or do none of us get it?
Or can the Embassy issue the visas and detain all our passports until his TB clearance comes in. In case the sputum comes back positive, they can cancel the visas without prejudice? This is because clearance can only come in 2 weeks after end of dv 2015.

I would ask the Embassy or Consulate where you intend to do your interview what their policy is. The one thing I'm sure of is that, if you otherwise qualify, your husband's medical issue won't prevent you from receiving a visa.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:28pm On Aug 11, 2015
winnie123:
Dear Vo,

I can't open the Link you sent to me.

You'll need a computer that has Adobe Acrobat to open a pdf.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:30pm On Aug 11, 2015
amazinglove:
Welcome back, dear VO!
Lagos Consulate General told me about 2 weeks ago they would schedule my spouse's interview as soon as they received our case paper documents. It's been a week since the documents were delivered at the consulate but no interview date yet. I have sent an email but no reply. Do you have any idea what could be going on there?
Thank you , Ma'am.
V/R,
Amazinglove

I don't know -- but do keep in mind that the Consulate receives a lot of mail. Sending another e-mail won't hurt...
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:34pm On Aug 11, 2015
Godwinadebanjo9:
Good Morning VO.. You welcome back ,Me and my wife got Married in April 14,2014 my wife submited my submited my petition to VSC for the past 16th months now we have not been approve. we have did a lot of things by sending service request and contacted the Congressman and senators. they were all telling us we are on security check. Ma,what can we do or who can we contact because this getting too long for 16 Month at uscis and after then my do visit Nigeria
My second question that I intend to apply for visiting visa inorder to spend my vacation period and to be with my wife families on thanksgiving day...please i my qualify to apply for visiting and what do i need. Thank you and God bless you ma.

All you can do is to keep asking for updates. If it's a security check, it will take as long as it takes, and no member of Congress can make anyone take shortcuts that would violate our laws or security policies.

You're welcome to apply for a non-immigrant visa. Having a pending immigrant petition is not a disqualification, but you'll need to convince the interviewing officer that you plan to use the visa as intended, for a temporary stay.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:34pm On Aug 11, 2015
winnie123:
Dear Vo,

Having mentioned the bellow, does CR-1 have to look for priority date for the case to be current?

Nope! CRs are handled just like IRs. They're Conditional instead of Immediate because the relationship has existed for less than two years, but otherwise, they're the same.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Vita7801: 4:22pm On Aug 11, 2015
Good day sir, please I wish to ask you a question, a friend of my send me an Invitation to come over to the state and I want to honor the IV but she is not working because of her disability.. I want to take the responsibility for my ticket but she promise to take other responsibilities when I come over there, now I want to ask since she have not been here and I myself have not been there is it possible for the consulate to issue me a Visa? How possible can this be please? Is there any thing that I can do or she can do? Advice me on this matter please? Thank you so much...
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Dunialagbe: 4:56pm On Aug 11, 2015
Hi VO,

I have been asked to come for 'finger print'.

What does this mean?

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by AREOLA: 7:08pm On Aug 11, 2015
Hello VO
Thanks for your response, please I want to know how long does the adoption process take for a niece and what are requirements for the adoption.
Because my niece responsibility lies on my sister since the Father died and the mother is not with her.
Please kindly enlighten me on how to go about the adoption process, the requirements.
My sister is a citizen.
Awaiting your response ma'am.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by medeay(m): 8:19pm On Aug 11, 2015
hello VO,
how long does one have to wait to be able to file a petition for a foreign husband/wife after marriage?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:26pm On Aug 11, 2015
Vita7801:
Good day sir, please I wish to ask you a question, a friend of my send me an Invitation to come over to the state and I want to honor the IV but she is not working because of her disability.. I want to take the responsibility for my ticket but she promise to take other responsibilities when I come over there, now I want to ask since she have not been here and I myself have not been there is it possible for the consulate to issue me a Visa? How possible can this be please? Is there any thing that I can do or she can do? Advice me on this matter please? Thank you so much...

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:30pm On Aug 11, 2015
Dunialagbe:
Hi VO,

I have been asked to come for 'finger print'.

What does this mean?

Thank you.

It's possible that there was a technical problem with your fingerprints, and so we need to take them again. It's also possible that more than a year has passed since you last swore an oath in front of an officer, or that you've turned 14 since your last interview, and now we need your fingerprints before we can proceed with your case.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:33pm On Aug 11, 2015
AREOLA:
Hello VO
Thanks for your response, please I want to know how long does the adoption process take for a niece and what are requirements for the adoption.
Because my niece responsibility lies on my sister since the Father died and the mother is not with her.
Please kindly enlighten me on how to go about the adoption process, the requirements.
My sister is a citizen.
Awaiting your response ma'am.

It's a lengthy process. First your sister will need to file the I-600A; after that's approved, she'll need a home study, and she'll need to file the I-600. After the I-600 is approved, at that point an appointment for the IR-3 visa interview can be scheduled. Adoption cases are very lengthy and complicated; they can take well over a year to complete. http://travel.state.gov/content/adoptionsabroad/en.html has a wealth of useful information, including some pages that are specific to adoption in Nigeria.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:35pm On Aug 11, 2015
medeay:
hello VO,
how long does one have to wait to be able to file a petition for a foreign husband/wife after marriage?

As long as the spouse in the U.S. is a Legal Permanent Resident or a U.S. citizen, he or she can get married in the morning and file a petition in the afternoon. smiley

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jayjon: 10:18pm On Aug 11, 2015
Hello Visa Officer,

Welcome back smiley!!Question. My husband has a 2nd interview next week and why did they not ask for him to bring in documents or prof of documentation? just a e-mail that verified his appointment for that day.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:04pm On Aug 11, 2015
jayjon:
Hello Visa Officer,

Welcome back smiley!!Question. My husband has a 2nd interview next week and why did they not ask for him to bring in documents or prof of documentation? just a e-mail that verified his appointment for that day.

Sounds like the officer has some follow-up questions for him, but doesn't need to see documents at this time. Let us know what happens.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by deepluvit: 11:37pm On Aug 11, 2015
Hello Visa Officer,
I applied for a k1 visa for my fiance the petition was approved by uscis and sent to NVC and from NVC it was sent to US Consulate in Mumbai on 23rd july via DHL Express, but we haven't received any notification from the embassy, we emailed USTRAVELDOCs(email address on embassy website) and they give their standard reply that the case is with NVC, NVC says that its with consulate, there is no way to contact anyone at the embassy and all calls/emails go to UStraveldocs(call center) so what should I do next since NVC says its with consulate and consulate says its with NVC. Its almost 3 weeks and I am sure DHL doesnt take 3 weeks for delivery.

Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:44pm On Aug 11, 2015
deepluvit:
Hello Visa Officer,
I applied for a k1 visa for my fiance the petition was approved by uscis and sent to NVC and from NVC it was sent to US Consulate in Mumbai on 23rd july via DHL Express, but we haven't received any notification from the embassy, we emailed USTRAVELDOCs(email address on embassy website) and they give their standard reply that the case is with NVC, NVC says that its with consulate, there is no way to contact anyone at the embassy and all calls/emails go to UStraveldocs(call center) so what should I do next since NVC says its with consulate and consulate says its with NVC. Its almost 3 weeks and I am sure DHL doesnt take 3 weeks for delivery.

Thank you

It does sound like the case is still in transit. Are you sure it was sent by DHL Express? I'm not sure why it would have been. Such cases are usually shipped in batches, by pouch, which can take several weeks. Whatever the case, your case has left NVC but has not yet arrived at the Consulate. I'm sure Mumbai will contact you as soon as the case gets there.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jayjon: 11:55pm On Aug 11, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Sounds like the officer has some follow-up questions for him, but doesn't need to see documents at this time. Let us know what happens.

Ok I will let you all know smileyThank you much.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bsouthaafricaz: 2:11am On Aug 12, 2015
Hello V.O.

I have a question that has been vexing me. My fiance and myself won the initial round in the 2016 greencard lottery. When entering the lottery (the edv stage), the rules are very clear: Stating you are not married when in fact you are married is means for immediate disqualification. I had just sponsored my fiance as a common-law spouse and I wanted to play it safe, so we put down that we were married.

After being selected in the lottery, I did more research and it turns out that I may have done the incorrect thing. Now, I have plenty of evidence to prove that I was able to sponsor my fiance based on our government's definition of common law marriage. We also got married, in the proper legal sense, immediately after finding out we were selected.

We don't want to travel to the interview and get the medicals if we are just going to be flat refused (I believe this will also tarnish our ability to obtain a visa in future). Will we be immediately refused? To be sure, we are perfect candidates: I have a job from a fortune 500 company waiting and ready for me in the USA. We also meet every other credential the green card lottery specifies. We have more than just a high school degree: We both have masters degrees.

Please can I get your opinion, I am at my whits end.

Many thanks in advance

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by MarieEyre: 1:57pm On Aug 12, 2015
Hi VO,

My K1 interview comes up soon!!! shocked.I know I only need to show some files/documents to the interviewing officer when/if asked. I just want to know which documents are mandatory for me to submit at the Consulate so I keep them in a separate file. Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by winnie123: 7:11pm On Aug 12, 2015
Dear Vo,

NVC request for my finger print, can i do it where i am staying or must it be in a particular place in Lagos.

Thanks.

VisaOfficer:

It's possible that there was a technical problem with your fingerprints, and so we need to take them again. It's also possible that more than a year has passed since you last swore an oath in front of an officer, or that you've turned 14 since your last interview, and now we need your fingerprints before we can proceed with your case.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by 9jaStar: 12:40am On Aug 13, 2015
VisaOfficer:
That was fun. I missed you guys. Here's a picture of me being attacked by one of my cats.

Cute cat. Looks like she missed you just as much as we did.

Got an email from NVC last week saying my documentation is complete and interview should be scheduled soon.

When can I expect that to be? And would my wife be required to come down?

LGS2014556014

Thanks as always
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Sunshine721(f): 10:38am On Aug 13, 2015
[quote author=VisaOfficer post=36793521]

Your priority date is the date that your petition was filed with USCIS. But as an IR2, you don't need to worry about your priority date. As soon as your petition is approved and your case is documentarily complete, it will be scheduled for the next available interview. Immediate Relative (IR) cases are always current -- no waiting period.
[/quote

thats good but my case has been completed since June 16 till today I've not received any interview appointment, please help me. what is going on with nvc?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Sunshine721(f): 10:52am On Aug 13, 2015
Hello VO
welcome back.
my priority date is 4th August 2014.
case completed on 16th June 2015.
Do I have to wait over a year to be with my husband?
No interview date till date.
please, I will like to know if nvc is done scheduling September interview for CR1.
thank you dear VO.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Joboms(m): 1:27pm On Aug 13, 2015
[quote author=sharlorhm post=36800703][/quote]

Ok
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Elvisabo(m): 1:52pm On Aug 13, 2015
so hpow can i prove strong ties
VisaOfficer:

Technically this is a question for the non-immigrant visa thread. But I think you can just write what you've written here, that the officer said you didn't show strong ties.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Keyla11: 2:42pm On Aug 13, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! Personally I think that "because I was nervous and scared" is a perfect answer in this situation. We know that people want to visit their fiancés, and that they often don't tell us they're engaged because they're afraid they won't get a visa. But that's not the sort of misrepresentation that leads to a permanent ineligibility. Based on what you've written here, I wouldn't worry about being banned. We save bans for violations that are a little more serious than what you describe. smiley

Oh that is such a great relief!!! Thank you so much...!!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:49pm On Aug 13, 2015
bsouthaafricaz:
Hello V.O.

I have a question that has been vexing me. My fiance and myself won the initial round in the 2016 greencard lottery. When entering the lottery (the edv stage), the rules are very clear: Stating you are not married when in fact you are married is means for immediate disqualification. I had just sponsored my fiance as a common-law spouse and I wanted to play it safe, so we put down that we were married.

After being selected in the lottery, I did more research and it turns out that I may have done the incorrect thing. Now, I have plenty of evidence to prove that I was able to sponsor my fiance based on our government's definition of common law marriage. We also got married, in the proper legal sense, immediately after finding out we were selected.

We don't want to travel to the interview and get the medicals if we are just going to be flat refused (I believe this will also tarnish our ability to obtain a visa in future). Will we be immediately refused? To be sure, we are perfect candidates: I have a job from a fortune 500 company waiting and ready for me in the USA. We also meet every other credential the green card lottery specifies. We have more than just a high school degree: We both have masters degrees.

Please can I get your opinion, I am at my whits end.

Many thanks in advance

I think you should move forward with the interview. If someone fails to list an existing spouse, it's a disqualification. But in your case, you listed a spouse because you had a common-law marriage, which you later formalized in court. That's not a disqualification. smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.