Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,495 members, 7,823,158 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (679175 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by joechima: 3:18pm On Aug 31, 2014
VisaOfficer:

What visa category are you referring to and what is your priority date?
IR1/CR1 Husband of a US citizen.That is Spousal visa
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by marymary14(f): 7:39pm On Aug 31, 2014
Ok! Thanks
VisaOfficer:

Unfortunately this falls far outside a visa officer's area of influence. Perhaps other family members in the U.S. might try to talk sense into her husband?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:48pm On Aug 31, 2014
joechima: IR1/CR1 Husband of a US citizen.That is Spousal visa

As soon as your case is documentarily complete at NVC, it will be ready to be scheduled for an interview here at post. NVC's experiencing some delays lately, and it takes a couple months for them to get the cases to us, but as soon as you're documentarily complete, your case should move forward fairly quickly.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 31, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Administrative processing happens for so many different reasons that it's impossible to give a timetable, but we do try to take care of everything as quickly as possible. I realize that that is cold comfort when it's happening to you. Sometimes we have to travel to complete the processing, and that can be delayed greatly for a variety of reasons, from security to logistics. Sometimes we're waiting from responses from other agencies that unfortunately do not reply as promptly as we would like. Most cases are indeed resolved well within the 60 days, but those that aren't do get a lot of attention. That's good; it keeps us on our toes. I promise you that we are aware of the emotional hardship administrative processing can cause and we do everything possible to complete it as quickly as we can. Feel free to e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov asking for updates. I hope your case is resolved very soon!

Hi, I just wanted to follow up on our case. In the reply above, you stated most cases are resolved in 60 days. As of Friday, 60 days elapsed from the date of interview.

The last response I received from the consulate was that our case was "actively being worked on", which was on August 12th, and nothing since. We just wanted to know if we should expect to wait much longer, or if there is an ETA.

Our case# LGS2014618003.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by usturkey: 3:08pm On Sep 01, 2014
Hello
I have a question about my k1 visa situation. My k1 visa interview went well except for one small but big issue. I was married and divorced in usa but never had the marriage or divorce recorded to my turkish vital records.
At the interview i was told everything was perfect expect for that i need to have this marriage and divorce recorded in turkey and all i have to do is to send them the turkish equavilant of my birth certificate with the recorded marriage and divorce and my passport and they can grant me my k1 visa. My problems start here because to have this marriage recorded i need my ex wife's birth cert or a copy of her passport which i have no access to. My second problem is even if i try and find a way to be able to have the marriage put in my records i will still have to go through a divorce recognition case which lasts years here. I dont understand why an offical us divorce decree was not enough. My fiance and i will be separated for years now. Is there anything we can do to make this process shorter or appeal to it as in the instructions they only ask for a divorce decree to prove previous marriage was ended? Thank you for your time and i hope you can show us a way to over come this. Thank you again.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pretty16(f): 9:59pm On Sep 01, 2014
Thank u so much V.O. For your quick response to my question. Its greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:34am On Sep 02, 2014
kole10:

Hi, I just wanted to follow up on our case. In the reply above, you stated most cases are resolved in 60 days. As of Friday, 60 days elapsed from the date of interview.

The last response I received from the consulate was that our case was "actively being worked on", which was on August 12th, and nothing since. We just wanted to know if we should expect to wait much longer, or if there is an ETA.

Our case# LGS2014618003.

Thanks for your help!

I'm checking - will let you know what I find out.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:36am On Sep 02, 2014
usturkey: Hello
I have a question about my k1 visa situation. My k1 visa interview went well except for one small but big issue. I was married and divorced in usa but never had the marriage or divorce recorded to my turkish vital records.
At the interview i was told everything was perfect expect for that i need to have this marriage and divorce recorded in turkey and all i have to do is to send them the turkish equavilant of my birth certificate with the recorded marriage and divorce and my passport and they can grant me my k1 visa. My problems start here because to have this marriage recorded i need my ex wife's birth cert or a copy of her passport which i have no access to. My second problem is even if i try and find a way to be able to have the marriage put in my records i will still have to go through a divorce recognition case which lasts years here. I dont understand why an offical us divorce decree was not enough. My fiance and i will be separated for years now. Is there anything we can do to make this process shorter or appeal to it as in the instructions they only ask for a divorce decree to prove previous marriage was ended? Thank you for your time and i hope you can show us a way to over come this. Thank you again.

I'm not familiar with Turkish law so I probably won't be much help to you. My recommendation is to write a letter to the Immigrant Visa Unit there and explain it just the way you've explained to me. Ask them what your next steps are, in light of your situation. Best of luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Stan81: 8:57am On Sep 02, 2014
Good Morning VO,

I would like to know if my petitions are being sent back to DHS/NVC for revocation. My interview was July 22nd and NVC says they don't have record that the petition has been returned yet from The Lagos Embassy.Please let me know, thanks for your help.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:31am On Sep 02, 2014
Stan81: Good Morning VO,

I would like to know if my petitions are being sent back to DHS/NVC for revocation. My interview was July 22nd and NVC says they don't have record that the petition has been returned yet from The Lagos Embassy.Please let me know, thanks for your help.

Greetings,

We send the cases for revocation back in batches. Because we don't send very many cases back (contrary to popular belief), it can take a few weeks to gather enough cases to fill a box. The batch your case is in will go out this week.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Ddream77: 10:15am On Sep 02, 2014
Good Morning V.O,
How are you doing? I decided not to collect my passport from the embassy till a decision is finally made.
Anyway any news on my case?
Are weekends included when counting days on AP cases? If they are mine should hit 60 days on the 8th of September.
Happy labour's day in arrears and a stress free day also...
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by iyaaliyah: 5:08pm On Sep 02, 2014
Good afternoon @VIsaOfficer. Please how many years does it take for a US citizen to file F130 for his unmarried son above 18years and a married daughter.
Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rexdon1(m): 12:43am On Sep 03, 2014
Dear VO,

I'm yet to receive a note on the status of my passport. Tomorrow would be 10 working days after our exchange. The online link continually show 'no update on passport number submitted'. I contacted the support unit yesterday and I only received an automated message on the various methods I have used which has not been working.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by queenpa: 4:43am On Sep 03, 2014
Dear VO,

Thanks for your time and patients with all my question. I need some clarification.   As I getting documents ready for my husband I was told

"What the USCIS never tells anyone is that the K3 is obsolete and rarely granted.  How it works is: You file your I-130, when you get the NOA1 you file the I-129F.  The I-129F pulls the I-130 out of line and puts it with the I-130.   They go to the back of the line.  They're,  generally, adjudicated together.  This is USCIS policy.  If the I-129F happens to make it to the National Visa Center, before the I-130, the NVC will leave it open and send it on to the consulate or embassy as a K3.  A consulate or embassy may then close the I-129F if there is already an approved I-130 on hand  If the I-130 reaches the NVC before the I-129F the NVC administratively closes the I-129F (and any derivative status for children ends) and continues on the I-130 route which becomes an IR1/CR1 visa path".

Is this is correct? I have not filed an I130 for my stepson   So confused if this is possible I feel I was given the wrong information as we are in our 5 month of waiting. Please help any suggestions is welcome. Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:32am On Sep 03, 2014
Ddream77: Good Morning V.O,
How are you doing? I decided not to collect my passport from the embassy till a decision is finally made.
Anyway any news on my case?
Are weekends included when counting days on AP cases? If they are mine should hit 60 days on the 8th of September.
Happy labour's day in arrears and a stress free day also...

Good morning,

No news, unfortunately. I'm not optimistic -- but I do have your case right here on my desk just in case we do get a green light.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:34am On Sep 03, 2014
iyaaliyah: Good afternoon @VIsaOfficer. Please how many years does it take for a US citizen to file F130 for his unmarried son above 18years and a married daughter.
Thank you.

At the moment the waiting period for F1s (unmarried adult children of Amcits) is around seven years, and for F3s (married adult children of Amcits), around eleven years.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:35am On Sep 03, 2014
rexdon1: Dear VO,

I'm yet to receive a note on the status of my passport. Tomorrow would be 10 working days after our exchange. The online link continually show 'no update on passport number submitted'. I contacted the support unit yesterday and I only received an automated message on the various methods I have used which has not been working.

I'm afraid I can't remember which case is yours, so I can't check into it. Could you tell me the date of your last interview, the visa category, and maybe your initials?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:44am On Sep 03, 2014
queenpa: Dear VO,

Thanks for your time and patients with all my question. I need some clarification.   As I getting documents ready for my husband I was told

"What the USCIS never tells anyone is that the K3 is obsolete and rarely granted.  How it works is: You file your I-130, when you get the NOA1 you file the I-129F.  The I-129F pulls the I-130 out of line and puts it with the I-130.   They go to the back of the line.  They're,  generally, adjudicated together.  This is USCIS policy.  If the I-129F happens to make it to the National Visa Center, before the I-130, the NVC will leave it open and send it on to the consulate or embassy as a K3.  A consulate or embassy may then close the I-129F if there is already an approved I-130 on hand  If the I-130 reaches the NVC before the I-129F the NVC administratively closes the I-129F (and any derivative status for children ends) and continues on the I-130 route which becomes an IR1/CR1 visa path".

Is this is correct? I have not filed an I130 for my stepson   So confused if this is possible I feel I was given the wrong information as we are in our 5 month of waiting. Please help any suggestions is welcome. Thanks. 

We do see K3s here in Lagos occasionally, and we don't refuse to adjudicate them on the grounds that the I-130 should be ready soon. After all, the petitioners paid two separate filing fees so they wouldn't have to wait for the I-130.

To be honest, I'd never thought about what NVC does if receives the I-130 and the I-129F together or in a different order or whatever. I guess there's no way to control which one they send us. My best advice would be to ask NVC not to administratively close the I-129F and explain that it's because there's a derivative stepchild involved. If your husband's called for his CR1/IR1 interview, he should ask us to wait for the I-129F and explain that it's so he can include his son. If NVC hasn't administratively closed the I-129F, we'd be willing to do that. Alternatively, you could go ahead and file an I-130 for the stepson, then ask us to expedite the case so he can travel with his father. We're strict about expediting, but when there's a minor involved, we tend to grant the requests.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rexdon1(m): 8:53am On Sep 03, 2014
VisaOfficer:

I'm afraid I can't remember which case is yours, so I can't check into it. Could you tell me the date of your last interview, the visa category, and maybe your initials?

K1. July 17. Case which was on admin processing for 24 working days you resolved on August 21. RUU.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by felixfelix: 9:43am On Sep 03, 2014
Ingratitude they say is as bad as theft, my most kind and dashing VO, I won't forget to thank u 4 my questions well attended to. My interview was a success on d 20th of August. Incase something like dis happens what happens to sombody who booked to travel Dec and u people perhaps close border, let's say Oct for Ibola, just assuming?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by noni225: 10:22am On Sep 03, 2014
On 18th of August my visa process was suspended for verification of statement of account(section 221g),on 26th of August the USA embassy called me for futher interview in which the grant me a visa by giving me a white paper to pick it up at DHL office on Friday. But believe me I have been in Abuja till now and my visa is not yet ready according to the DHL officer.. My school gave extention a letter to return on 10th of this month and yet my visa is not ready.. Please Sir/madam I write to know what could be keeping my visa, because I tried tracking it and yet it still on administrative processing.. Am I going to meet up to the date given because all my other documents and preparation are ready..

Thanks
Samuel
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:01am On Sep 03, 2014
rexdon1:

K1. July 17. Case which was on admin processing for 24 working days you resolved on August 21. RUU.

Looks like the visa was printed on Aug. 27 and should be at the DHL collection center now, waiting for you. smiley My apologies - I don't know why the status isn't showing as updated!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:03am On Sep 03, 2014
felixfelix: Ingratitude they say is as bad as theft, my most kind and dashing VO, I won't forget to thank u 4 my questions well attended to. My interview was a success on d 20th of August. Incase something like dis happens what happens to sombody who booked to travel Dec and u people perhaps close border, let's say Oct for Ibola, just assuming?

I haven't heard that the U.S. has any plans to close its borders. At this point, at the very worst, someone may take your temperature and ask you how you feel.

I promise that if I ever hear of plans to close borders or anything similarly significant, I'll tell you all, right here in this forum. But it does sound like Nigeria has done an excellent job of containing this particular outbreak. Stay vigilant -- but don't worry!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:04am On Sep 03, 2014
noni225: On 18th of August my visa process was suspended for verification of statement of account(section 221g),on 26th of August the USA embassy called me for futher interview in which the grant me a visa by giving me a white paper to pick it up at DHL office on Friday. But believe me I have been in Abuja till now and my visa is not yet ready according to the DHL officer.. My school gave extention a letter to return on 10th of this month and yet my visa is not ready.. Please Sir/madam I write to know what could be keeping my visa, because I tried tracking it and yet it still on administrative processing.. Am I going to meet up to the date given because all my other documents and preparation are ready..

Thanks
Samuel

Hi Samuel,

This sounds like a student visa question. Please ask my colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rexdon1(m): 11:16am On Sep 03, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Looks like the visa was printed on Aug. 27 and should be at the DHL collection center now, waiting for you. smiley My apologies - I don't know why the status isn't showing as updated!

Alright. Thank you!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:40am On Sep 03, 2014
kole10:

Our case# LGS2014618003.

Thanks for your help!

Still actively being worked on, but I can't give you a timeline for when we hope to be ready.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rexdon1(m): 1:22pm On Sep 03, 2014
rexdon1:

Alright. Thank you!

Please I would like to inquire if it's safe for me to go straight to the collection centre, as I haven't received any email as regards collection nor able to track passport online?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:44pm On Sep 03, 2014
rexdon1:

Please I would like to inquire if it's safe for me to go straight to the collection centre, as I haven't received any email as regards collection nor able to track passport online?

You might want to call the collection center to be sure they've unpacked their bags. smiley Here's their information:

HELPLINE: 094601748
EMAIL: support-nigeria@ustraveldocs.com

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rexdon1(m): 1:52pm On Sep 03, 2014
VisaOfficer:

You might want to call the collection center to be sure they've unpacked their bags. smiley Here's their information:

HELPLINE: 094601748
EMAIL: support-nigeria@ustraveldocs.com

Many thanks for your replies.

Phone won't connect tried severally before contacting you.

Email, was same one I contacted yesterday with replies to some unhelpful links to track passport. CEAC - to check status, online dialog box to input passport number and email to send passport number which kept returning as 'no update on passport number submitted' status.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by adekunleoba: 3:36pm On Sep 03, 2014
Dear VO,

I applied for B1/B2 (visiting) visa at Abuja Embassy some years back with my wife and we were denied because I was accused of been married to another lady before.

I was told the lady applied for immigration visa or won visa lottery, The VO told me that he can see that I never apply with the girl at embassy but the lady used my details with my picture as the husband in the form she sent back, and he advice me to go back to Lagos embassy to clear things up cos that where our appointment was schedule for

But I never apply for any visa with another lady at any USA Embassy apart from my wife.

Can you please advice me on what to do to clear up this with the Embassy, I really need to read back from you, my wife and my in laws taking this so serious

I NEED HELP

Expecting to read from you soon.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by chokey419(m): 3:44pm On Sep 03, 2014
Good day, I'm in the f1 category for unmarried sons and daughters of us citizens and I want to know why f2b priority dates are moving faster than f1? If I'm not mistaken f2b is for lpr while f1 is for us citizens, so why the difference if almost 4 months?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:42pm On Sep 03, 2014
rexdon1:

Many thanks for your replies.

Phone won't connect tried severally before contacting you.

Email, was same one I contacted yesterday with replies to some unhelpful links to track passport. CEAC - to check status, online dialog box to input passport number and email to send passport number which kept returning as 'no update on passport number submitted' status.

They're not answering my phone calls either. ~hmmph!~ Well, the visa should be ready for pick-up, but I'll try to verify again in the a.m.

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.