Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,212 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (678681 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:16am On Aug 28, 2014
PMBL: Hi VO I have a quick question. If your adding court order child support as income on form I-864 affidavit of support. Do the embassy view this as an asset? Should it be combined to your annual salary which would be your total income? Or put separately as assets only?

Good morning,

You can include it in your income if you list it when filing your taxes. You'll have to include documentation, along with your 1040.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:16am On Aug 28, 2014
wiskyjay: Hello Officer,
Please i want you to put me tru this, i a car dealer and i have been sending money to people in usa to get me cars but they dont get me my taste , so i am working to go to usa and get it my self , what are the requirement for the visa .

Thanks hope to hear back from you

This is a question for my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:25am On Aug 28, 2014
Tuneskii:
Dear VO, kindly oblige me with your advise on this case. My friend won the DV visa lottery and was at the Lagos embassy for interview. During the course of his interview he was asked for his O level results and He presented his GCE and WAEC result : the GCE he wrote before his final year in secondary school and WAEC, the Senior Secondary School leaving exam. He made the required 5 credits in the GCE but not WAEC. To his surprise, the consular attending to him said he didn't have the required educational qualification as she felt since he made the required 5 credit from the GCE, he needed not to have retaken the subjects he got credits in at GCE for his WAEC exams. I feel this is a mistake and it shouldn't from basis of visa denial. Your help will be highly appreciated.

Good morning,

It sounds to me like the officer wasn't convinced that your friend was academically qualified at all.

Please keep in mind that every year, there are only 50,000 Diversity Visas available worldwide, and that this year has been a remarkably successful year for DV applicants. That means that we are almost out of Diversity Visas. Everyone who has been scheduled for an interview will get a chance to interview -- but this means that everyone gets one chance to convince the officer that they are who they say they are, that they're academically or professionally qualified, and (if they're married) that their marriage is bona fide. If the applicant fails to do so during the interview, the opportunity is lost.

Most of our applicants receive visas. That said, every day we also have imposters, sham marriages, and falsified documents, so we are forced to exercise a certain degree of skepticism. The burden of proof is on the applicant, and the officer's decision is final.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:26am On Aug 28, 2014
Stan81: Dear VO,

I wrote you about my petition for the immigrant visa being sent back to the NVC/DHS. My wife was asked to make a correction to the I-864 and send it to me here in Nigeria, to give to you at the interview. But I didn't give it to you. Should I mail it to you so when you send the petition back, the file will have this important form to go with it? I made a mistake not giving it to you at the time of my interview even though I had it there in my possession. Please let me know. Thanks

No need to send us the document. If the case is reaffirmed and returned to post, you can submit the corrected I-864 at your follow-up interview.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Tuneskii: 10:34am On Aug 28, 2014
Dear VO, thanks for your response but sir, since he truly has the required educational qualification could you offer any form of assistance to have his case revisited?

VisaOfficer:

Good morning,

It sounds to me like the officer wasn't convinced that your friend was academically qualified at all.

Please keep in mind that every year, there are only 50,000 Diversity Visas available worldwide, and that this year has been a remarkably successful year for DV applicants. That means that we are almost out of Diversity Visas. Everyone who has been scheduled for an interview will get a chance to interview -- but this means that everyone gets one chance to convince the officer that they are who they say they are, that they're academically or professionally qualified, and (if they're married) that their marriage is bona fide. If the applicant fails to do so during the interview, the opportunity is lost.

Most of our applicants receive visas. That said, every day we also have imposters, sham marriages, and falsified documents, so we are forced to exercise a certain degree of skepticism. The burden of proof is on the applicant, and the officer's decision is final.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bakandow11: 10:37am On Aug 28, 2014
plz when next is the visa lottery and does nigeria stand a chance?
2. plz am currently working in the uae please what way do you think could be the easiest to get an american visa and like how much do you think i will need to do that?
Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:55am On Aug 28, 2014
Tuneskii: Dear VO, thanks for your response but sir, since he truly has the required educational qualification could you offer any form of assistance to have his case revisited?

Unfortunately, no. If he failed to convince the officer during the interview, he has lost his opportunity.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:05am On Aug 28, 2014
bakandow11: plz when next is the visa lottery and does nigeria stand a chance?
2. plz am currently working in the uae please what way do you think could be the easiest to get an american visa and like how much do you think i will need to do that?
Thanks

I can only answer the Diversity Visa question. If the number of Nigerian immigrants to the U.S. falls below 50,000 in a five-year period, Nigeria will become eligible for the next Diversity Visa lottery. But as long as Nigeria continues to contribute (on average) 10,000 or more immigrants every year to the United States, it will remain ineligible for the DV program.

This is because the DV program was created in order to attract immigrants from underrepresented countries to the United States. I don't know how exactly lawmakers chose "50,000 immigrants in a five-year period" as the threshold, but the number wasn't chosen with any specific country in mind.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bamybabs: 11:22am On Aug 28, 2014
Thank you for your response towards all the questions is been very helpful. Please i want to know the process of applying for a Medical Visa in United State of Ameria. What are the documents that are required form here and from the Hopital in the State too.
Thank you and i anticipate to hear soon from you. bye.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:39am On Aug 28, 2014
bamybabs: Thank you for your response towards all the questions is been very helpful. Please i want to know the process of applying for a Medical Visa in United State of Ameria. What are the documents that are required form here and from the Hopital in the State too.
Thank you and i anticipate to hear soon from you. bye.

This is a question for my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:41am On Aug 28, 2014
hello VO... please i have an issue here. my medical result is been delayed and i was told i need further test which will take sometime but my wife medical is ready. we have to come for the interview like that. I hope my medical wont stop us from getting the visa ma. and wat delay can this course?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:06pm On Aug 28, 2014
Hello visa officer, I had my child last year in new York but I had some issues. Before I left I already paid a birthing center but I was later transferred to the hospital for the birth nd I was billed. The hospital applied for Medicaid on my behave and it was granted. I came back and contacted the us embassy here and I was told to try to pay back. I have tried all means to pay back and I have all evidence to this regard. To my surprise, the Medicaid office in New York sent me a clearance letter stating I do not owe them according to their records. I email the embassy here to this regard and was told to go ahead to reapply for my visa, I am scared to do this because I don't want to be denied. I told the visa office in 2012 while applying i was pregnant and intend to have my baby in Us and my family and i were given 2 years visa. Pls kindly advice on this
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:55pm On Aug 28, 2014
StSteven: hello VO... please i have an issue here. my medical result is been delayed and i was told i need further test which will take sometime but my wife medical is ready. we have to come for the interview like that. I hope my medical wont stop us from getting the visa ma. and wat delay can this course?

Is this for a Diversity Visa interview? If you're a DV applicant, you must attend your scheduled interview! Please make sure you bring your receipts to show that you have paid for the medical exams, at least. We won't be able to issue visas without the DS-2054s, but if you miss your scheduled interview, there's nothing we can do.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:56pm On Aug 28, 2014
sweetg: Hello visa officer, I had my child last year in new York but I had some issues. Before I left I already paid a birthing center but I was later transferred to the hospital for the birth nd I was billed. The hospital applied for Medicaid on my behave and it was granted. I came back and contacted the us embassy here and I was told to try to pay back. I have tried all means to pay back and I have all evidence to this regard. To my surprise, the Medicaid office in New York sent me a clearance letter stating I do not owe them according to their records. I email the embassy here to this regard and was told to go ahead to reapply for my visa, I am scared to do this because I don't want to be denied. I told the visa office in 2012 while applying i was pregnant and intend to have my baby in Us and my family and i were given 2 years visa. Pls kindly advice on this

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 1:10pm On Aug 28, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Is this for a Diversity Visa interview? If you're a DV applicant, you must attend your scheduled interview! Please make sure you bring your receipts to show that you have paid for the medical exams, at least. We won't be able to issue visas without the DS-2054s, but if you miss your scheduled interview, there's nothing we can do.
Ok ma we'll be there for the interview but what if the further test result did not come out before the end of the Fiscal Year Sept 30. Will that only affect me or both of us because her Medical is available.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:27pm On Aug 28, 2014
StSteven:
Ok ma we'll be there for the interview but what if the further test result did not come out before the end of the Fiscal Year Sept 30. Will that only affect me or both of us because her Medical is available.

It all depends. Let's cross that bridge when we come to it. First, come to your interview.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 1:42pm On Aug 28, 2014
VisaOfficer:

It all depends. Let's cross that bridge when we come to it. First, come to your interview.

OK ma Thank You and Enjoy the rest of the day.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:31pm On Aug 28, 2014
Hello,

Thanks for answering questions here.

I have one

My mother is a US passport holder, dad is a LPR. Mother recently applied for me about two years ago and I understand there is a backlog for a couple of years. My question is are there any plans to reduce the backlog and could you provide a link for applicants to check their application status?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by diskindgod: 6:46pm On Aug 28, 2014
Thank you ma, i appreciate your responses to members' requests. You may not know how valuable they are. It saves one's resources and restores psychological imbalances. I remember the succour you once brought to me when i was in a dilemma of implausibility of my wife getting her BSC cert being not the PA.

Keep it up. As per my case, i leave all to God. He know all things. God bless you.

VisaOfficer:

Unfortunately it seems that there were serious discrepancies in the answers given in the two separate interviews, which led the officer to conclude that the relationship is not bona fide. Applicants have one opportunity to convince the officer that they are qualified and in a bona fide spousal relationship; if they cannot do so, unfortunately, they have lost their opportunity to receive 2014 Diversity Visas. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 1:51am On Aug 29, 2014
Thank you for your response but tour colleague seems not to be answering ant question on that trend.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:12am On Aug 29, 2014
sweetg: Thank you for your response but tour colleague seems not to be answering ant question on that trend.

My non-immigrant visa colleagues process more than ten times as many applications as we do in the Immigrant Visa Unit every day. I'm pretty busy, but they're even busier!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:21am On Aug 29, 2014
salsera: Hello,

Thanks for answering questions here.

I have one

My mother is a US passport holder, dad is a LPR. Mother recently applied for me about two years ago and I understand there is a backlog for a couple of years. My question is are there any plans to reduce the backlog and could you provide a link for applicants to check their application status?

It's not a backlog per se; it's a waiting period. Different visa categories are prioritized differently. So there's no waiting period before the minor child of an American citizen can be scheduled for an interview, but a Legal Permanent Resident's adult child will spend longer in the queue. It sounds like you're the adult child of an American citizen petitioner, so that's around a seven-year wait if you're unmarried. See http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html .

The backlog that does exist is a little different, and shorter-term. USCIS recently conquered its backlog and sent a surge of cases to the National Visa Center, which is now hurrying to process the unaccustomed number of cases. Apparently it's going to take a couple of months for them to push everything through the pipeline -- at which point they'll all hit my office at once...! I don't anticipate that we'll have a backlog here, though, because the 2014 Diversity Visa program will be over by the time the surge in traditional IV cases occurs.

Again, to check where a case's priority date in the queue, see http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html . To find out what's up with your particular case, e-mail NVCInquiry@state.gov. But remember, part of NVC's backlog is caused by the enormous amount of inquiries they receive, so please have mercy on them!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by salt2: 6:23pm On Aug 29, 2014
Hi VO,
I am a B1 holder and my visa expires in June 2015. My Spouse has no US visa. We both like to visit the US on medical grounds (honestly to give birth). Please is it okay for both of us to apply for B2 visas even with my 10 months validity on my B1 visa?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:30pm On Aug 29, 2014
VisaOfficer:

My non-immigrant visa colleagues process more than ten times as many applications as we do in the Immigrant Visa Unit every day. I'm pretty busy, but they're even busier!

Absolutely.

I suspect that applicants knows the difference between IV and NIV but the alacrity and purposefulness that you answer IV questions here, coupled with your good demeanor is why they flock here with their questions.

In any case, that US VOs are even taking time to hold a Q&A on an unofficial forum needs to be saluted.

Thank you once again.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by marymary14(f): 7:20pm On Aug 29, 2014
Hello VO,
I have cousin who's married to an American citizen and tried to get an Immigrant Visa but was denied and ever since,her husband abandoned her and it's been roughly two years. Want to know if there's a way to get him to do what he should for his family or better still request for a divorce, since he refused to do so.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pretty16(f): 3:12am On Aug 30, 2014
Dear VO, goodmorning. Thanks a lot for your answers to questions on this thread. Pls my question is this. My I-130 filed by my mum was recently approved in july 2014, with priority date 2011 and we got a letter from nvc stating that due to numerical limitations, there's no Visa # available that we will be contacted once the case becomes current. Although an alien registration number was given to me because my stepdad had filed for me in 2008 but it was denied on the basis that his not my biological father, which prompted my mum to file for me immediately in 2011. So I was given the same ARN that was given to me in 2008. Now my 1st question is, what's the time frame for an approved I-130 under F2B category to be current, because the according to visa bulletin, they are currently on (september 2007). Then am still single but I had a child in 2012 after the i-130 was filed. How do we include my child?. Then lastly? What are my chances of getting a Visiting visa, with my child, to visit my mum. I mean from the look of things, might still be a long wait, and I don't think there's a crime in wanting to visit my folks with my child. I have no intention of overstaying, because we are running a boutique business here in nigeria, and I also wouldn't want to spoil my chance of relocating in future.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:10am On Aug 31, 2014
salt2: Hi VO,
I am a B1 holder and my visa expires in June 2015. My Spouse has no US visa. We both like to visit the US on medical grounds (honestly to give birth). Please is it okay for both of us to apply for B2 visas even with my 10 months validity on my B1 visa?

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:12am On Aug 31, 2014
marymary14: Hello VO,
I have cousin who's married to an American citizen and tried to get an Immigrant Visa but was denied and ever since,her husband abandoned her and it's been roughly two years. Want to know if there's a way to get him to do what he should for his family or better still request for a divorce, since he refused to do so.

Unfortunately this falls far outside a visa officer's area of influence. Perhaps other family members in the U.S. might try to talk sense into her husband?

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:16am On Aug 31, 2014
pretty16: Dear VO, goodmorning. Thanks a lot for your answers to questions on this thread. Pls my question is this. My I-130 filed by my mum was recently approved in july 2014, with priority date 2011 and we got a letter from nvc stating that due to numerical limitations, there's no Visa # available that we will be contacted once the case becomes current. Although an alien registration number was given to me because my stepdad had filed for me in 2008 but it was denied on the basis that his not my biological father, which prompted my mum to file for me immediately in 2011. So I was given the same ARN that was given to me in 2008. Now my 1st question is, what's the time frame for an approved I-130 under F2B category to be current, because the according to visa bulletin, they are currently on (september 2007). Then am still single but I had a child in 2012 after the i-130 was filed. How do we include my child?. Then lastly? What are my chances of getting a Visiting visa, with my child, to visit my mum. I mean from the look of things, might still be a long wait, and I don't think there's a crime in wanting to visit my folks with my child. I have no intention of overstaying, because we are running a boutique business here in nigeria, and I also wouldn't want to spoil my chance of relocating in future.

Yes, there's currently around a seven-year wait for the F2B visa category. So your case will likely become current in 2018.

Adding a child is no problem -- the F2B category includes derivatives -- just let us know when you receive word that your appointment has been scheduled.

It could be difficult to obtain a B1/B2 visa in your situation. After all, you clearly do intend to immigrate soon. But it's not impossible. If you can convince the interviewing officer that you intend to abide by the terms of your visa, you'll be successful. Feel free to ask my non-immigrant colleagues for more information at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:21am On Aug 31, 2014
CityNG:

Absolutely.

I suspect that applicants knows the difference between IV and NIV but the alacrity and purposefulness that you answer IV questions here, coupled with your good demeanor is why they flock here with their questions.

In any case, that US VOs are even taking time to hold a Q&A on an unofficial forum needs to be saluted.

Thank you once again.

Thanks so much! We appreciate your kind words. smiley

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by joechima: 1:06pm On Aug 31, 2014
Visa officer Sir,We just got to the NVC stage,My wife is Skeptical,Sir Can we get an interview stage this year?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:09pm On Aug 31, 2014
joechima: Visa officer Sir,We just got to the NVC stage,My wife is Skeptical,Sir Can we get an interview stage this year?

What visa category are you referring to and what is your priority date?

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.