Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,771 members, 7,827,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (679450 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:38am On Aug 25, 2014
Just a reminder: Please don't send me private messages. That's not what this forum is for. Thank you!

6 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rexdon1(m): 1:03pm On Aug 25, 2014
@visa officer,
Thanks for your inputs the other day. Please I would like to inquire if persons in My visa category are required to pay for the immigrant fee? I noticed it was in the attachment sent in an email to me, as against previous FAQs concerning it as regards to K visa Category.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:15pm On Aug 25, 2014
rexdon1: @visa officer,
Thanks for your inputs the other day. Please I would like to inquire if persons in My visa category are required to pay for the immigrant fee? I noticed it was in the attachment sent in an email to me, as against previous FAQs concerning it as regards to K visa Category.

Oh -- sorry -- K visa holders are indeed exempt from the $165 USCIS / green card fee. I guess I was overzealous and attached every single form I could think of. smiley

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rexdon1(m): 2:57pm On Aug 25, 2014
Alright. That's fine, thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VCTROKOYE: 3:08pm On Aug 25, 2014
My brother applied for my green card since 2006 and since ever then my case has been pending. Please when exactly will I know the status of the application. Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:33pm On Aug 25, 2014
VCTROKOYE: My brother applied for my green card since 2006 and since ever then my case has been pending. Please when exactly will I know the status of the application. Thanks.

The wait time for sibling petitions is currently 12 or 13 years. You can track the priority date at http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Firewami: 3:54pm On Aug 25, 2014
@ VO. Gud day ma and thanks for ur kind gesture towards my family, we dropd our passport last week monday and was asked to go and pick it up at dhl office today but on getting to dhl office today I was told it's nt ready, pls when can we go back there for pick up because we don't reside in lagos.
Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:07pm On Aug 25, 2014
Firewami: @ VO. Gud day ma and thanks for ur kind gesture towards my family, we dropd our passport last week monday and was asked to go and pick it up at dhl office today but on getting to dhl office today I was told it's nt ready, pls when can we go back there for pick up because we don't reside in lagos.
Thank you.

You can call the collection center at the phone number on your issuance letter to ask if the visas are ready. Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Firewami: 4:10pm On Aug 25, 2014
VisaOfficer:

You can call the collection center at the phone number on your issuance letter to ask if the visas are ready. Good luck!
Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VCTROKOYE: 4:39pm On Aug 25, 2014
VCTROKOYE:
My brother applied for my green card since 2006 and since ever then my case has been pending. Please when exactly will I know the status of the application. Thanks.

VisaOfficer
The wait time for sibling petitions is currently 12 or 13 years. You can track the priority date at http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html .

Thanks for the quick response. But my question is not on priority date. Both my mum and brother petitioned for my green card in 2008 and 2006 respectively. We got a notification approval for my mum application and none for my brother. My brother's application status has not changed since then. We don't even know if it was approved or denied
I just checked the status now and it still gives the following information

The I130 IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN was transferred and is now being processed at a USCIS office. You will be notified by mail when a decision is made, or if the office needs something from you. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

During this step, USCIS initiates the background checks of the applicant/petitioner and identifies issues that may need to be addressed either during an interview or by asking the applicant/petitioner to submit additional information or documentation. USCIS reviews the applicant's/petitioner's criminal history, determines if there are national security concerns that need to be addressed, and reviews the application/petition for fraud indicators.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by kayjegs: 6:28pm On Aug 25, 2014
I have a serious inquiry. I am due to be in Canada next week to start my PhD program. I have bought my ticket but I will have to pass enroute Amsterdam, the US and then to Canada. But I was told that I have to get a US transit Visa for me to pass through the US. The agent told me if its a Canadian student visa, I shouldn't have problems but some other persons said otherwise. I want to know if this is true. I am billed to travel this Thursday so I can take heed before then.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:05am On Aug 26, 2014
VCTROKOYE:
Thanks for the quick response. But my question is not on priority date. Both my mum and brother petitioned for my green card in 2008 and 2006 respectively. We got a notification approval for my mum application and none for my brother. My brother's application status has not changed since then. We don't even know if it was approved or denied
I just checked the status now and it still gives the following information...

Sounds like a question for USCIS.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:06am On Aug 26, 2014
kayjegs: I have a serious inquiry. I am due to be in Canada next week to start my PhD program. I have bought my ticket but I will have to pass enroute Amsterdam, the US and then to Canada. But I was told that I have to get a US transit Visa for me to pass through the US. The agent told me if its a Canadian student visa, I shouldn't have problems but some other persons said otherwise. I want to know if this is true. I am billed to travel this Thursday so I can take heed before then.

This is a question for my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . But, yes, you will need a transit visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VCTROKOYE: 9:09am On Aug 26, 2014

VCTROKOYE:
I just checked the status now and it still gives the following information...

VisaOfficer:
Sounds like a question for USCIS.
Please, how do I seek for the solution from USCIS? Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:26am On Aug 26, 2014
VCTROKOYE:

Please, how do I seek for the solution from USCIS? Thanks

Their contact information should be on all the correspondence you've received from them. If not, please see http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by hollykomz(m): 3:25pm On Aug 26, 2014
Deat V.O.,

Please i have a question to ask: My wife who reside and work in US file for my immigrant visa(IR1/CR1), we are close to the last step, we have submitted all the certified copy of our documents and we are waiting for Interview letter. my precise question is do i have to get some vaccines done before the interview letter arrived, i heard those vaccines may take up to 3months before i can get them done.
Thank You.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:58pm On Aug 26, 2014
hollykomz: Deat V.O.,

Please i have a question to ask: My wife who reside and work in US file for my immigrant visa(IR1/CR1), we are close to the last step, we have submitted all the certified copy of our documents and we are waiting for Interview letter. my precise question is do i have to get some vaccines done before the interview letter arrived, i heard those vaccines may take up to 3months before i can get them done.
Thank You.

Greetings! Because the visa's expiration date will be the same as the medical paperwork's expiration date, it's probably best from your point of view to cut it as close as possible. Perhaps our fellow Nairalanders can tell us how long, on average, the panel physicians usually take? Or you could call them directly and ask. Their contact information (presented alphabetically) is:

The Consultants Practice
The Children’s Practice
25 Raymond Njoku
Ikoyi
Lagos
Telephone: 01-461-1941
Cell: 0706-585-9845, 0809-354-0899

Q-Life Family Clinic
Plot 155A Prince Ade Odedina Street
Off Ajose Adegun,
Victoria Island Annexe
Lagos, Nigeria
Telephone: 01-804-2000, 01-726-2840
Cell: 0702-770-4055
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by hollykomz(m): 9:01pm On Aug 26, 2014
Dear V.O.
As I am waiting for my interview letter, as for medical test the instructions will be stated in the interview letter, what about the vaccines? I heard the vaccines takes about 3month, can I have the vaccines done at any laboratory? Or will the instruction come along with the interview like just the medical test instruction, police report etc.
Thank you for your help
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tmeeto: 9:10pm On Aug 26, 2014
Dear V.O,
I have an immigrant application pending and I want to apply for a b1/b2 visa.
What are my chances of being granted the b1/b2 visa (I was denied last year but my stautus has changed I have a good job nw)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:45am On Aug 27, 2014
hollykomz: Dear V.O.
As I am waiting for my interview letter, as for medical test the instructions will be stated in the interview letter, what about the vaccines? I heard the vaccines takes about 3month, can I have the vaccines done at any laboratory? Or will the instruction come along with the interview like just the medical test instruction, police report etc.
Thank you for your help

The panel physicians should be able to administer any missing vaccines when you go for your medical check-up, before the interview. You might want to review http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html to get a feel for how the process unfolds. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:46am On Aug 27, 2014
tmeeto: Dear V.O,
I have an immigrant application pending and I want to apply for a b1/b2 visa.
What are my chances of being granted the b1/b2 visa (I was denied last year but my stautus has changed I have a good job nw)

This is a question for my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Stan81: 8:08am On Aug 27, 2014
Dear Visa Officer

I had an interview at the Lagos Embassy July 22nd for a CR1 immigrant visa. Although we provided all physical evidence, including pictures and the required civil documents, including all the extra documents you asked us to show at the interview, I was denied the immigrant visa. I was told after the interview the consular did not believe my marriage to my US Citizen wife is bonafide. However, all the evidence showed contrary.
I answered all the questions truthfully and honestly at the interview, except I believe I got the year my wife's first marriage ended in divorcement. I don't believe I made any other false statements that would cause the consular not to believe I married my wife legally in Nigeria at the registry in Dec 2012. The marriage certificate had the government seal and we had witnesses at the wedding.
I understand the petition will be sent back for further review to the NVC and USCIS. I was told that would take 30 days. But my wife checks on it regularly by calling the NVC and after 6 weeks now, they say our petition has not been returned yet.
We want to clear up any misunderstandings as soon as possible since we have already been separated over 18 months. Please provide a better estimate when the petition will be sent back. And do you know what further procedures we can expect that might help to convince DHS/NVC/USCIS that our marriage is authentic?
Please help.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:03am On Aug 27, 2014
Stan81: Dear Visa Officer

I had an interview at the Lagos Embassy July 22nd for a CR1 immigrant visa. Although we provided all physical evidence, including pictures and the required civil documents, including all the extra documents you asked us to show at the interview, I was denied the immigrant visa. I was told after the interview the consular did not believe my marriage to my US Citizen wife is bonafide. However, all the evidence showed contrary.
I answered all the questions truthfully and honestly at the interview, except I believe I got the year my wife's first marriage ended in divorcement. I don't believe I made any other false statements that would cause the consular not to believe I married my wife legally in Nigeria at the registry in Dec 2012. The marriage certificate had the government seal and we had witnesses at the wedding.
I understand the petition will be sent back for further review to the NVC and USCIS. I was told that would take 30 days. But my wife checks on it regularly by calling the NVC and after 6 weeks now, they say our petition has not been returned yet.
We want to clear up any misunderstandings as soon as possible since we have already been separated over 18 months. Please provide a better estimate when the petition will be sent back. And do you know what further procedures we can expect that might help to convince DHS/NVC/USCIS that our marriage is authentic?
Please help.

We send the cases for revocation back in batches. Because we don't send very many cases back (contrary to popular belief), it can take a few weeks to gather enough cases to fill a box. I just checked and your case should go out this week or next week.

I really can't give you advice on convincing USCIS that you have a bona fide marriage.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by kayjegs: 10:44am On Aug 27, 2014
Dear V.O
I posted my request on the non-immigrant section but yet to get a response. I will like to know the minimum duration it will take to get a US transit visa. Is it possible to get in a day at Amsterdam? My air ticket to Canada enroute US is already booked so I want to know if its possible to get a US transit visa asap.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:46pm On Aug 27, 2014
kayjegs: Dear V.O
I posted my request on the non-immigrant section but yet to get a response. I will like to know the minimum duration it will take to get a US transit visa. Is it possible to get in a day at Amsterdam? My air ticket to Canada enroute US is already booked so I want to know if its possible to get a US transit visa asap.

I have no idea -- this is not my area of expertise. I would say that it's very unlikely that a visa can be obtained that quickly, though.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Adesaid: 1:15pm On Aug 27, 2014
Dear VO. Hi to everybody, my husband had interview on June 16, 2014 in Lagos, visa case was put under administrative processing. Two weeks ago a person from the embassy went to our home. My question is how long the consulate will take to call him back.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:17pm On Aug 27, 2014
Adesaid: Dear VO. Hi to everybody, my husband had interview on June 16, 2014 in Lagos, visa case was put under administrative processing. Two weeks ago a person from the embassy went to our home. My question is how long the consulate will take to call him back.

It depends what else is going on in the case - but the fact that the site investigation is over is a very good sign! The report should cross my desk soon.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Adesaid: 5:16pm On Aug 27, 2014
VO Thank you for your response, I did not contact the embassy since they sent me an email asking me to not email them unless I have new information. It is depressing not to know what is happening. Thanks again for you time
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by PMBL: 6:52pm On Aug 27, 2014
Hi VO I have a quick question. If your adding court order child support as income on form I-864 affidavit of support. Do the embassy view this as an asset? Should it be combined to your annual salary which would be your total income? Or put separately as assets only?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by wiskyjay: 2:05am On Aug 28, 2014
Hello Officer,
Please i want you to put me tru this, i a car dealer and i have been sending money to people in usa to get me cars but they dont get me my taste , so i am working to go to usa and get it my self , what are the requirement for the visa .

Thanks hope to hear back from you

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Tuneskii: 7:39am On Aug 28, 2014
Dear VO, kindly oblige me with your advise on this case. My friend won the DV visa lottery and was at the Lagos embassy for interview. During the course of his interview he was asked for his O level results and He presented his GCE and WAEC result : the GCE he wrote before his final year in secondary school and WAEC, the Senior Secondary School leaving exam. He made the required 5 credits in the GCE but not WAEC. To his surprise, the consular attending to him said he didn't have the required educational qualification as she felt since he made the required 5 credit from the GCE, he needed not to have retaken the subjects he got credits in at GCE for his WAEC exams. I feel this is a mistake and it shouldn't from basis of visa denial. Your help will be highly appreciated.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Stan81: 8:01am On Aug 28, 2014
Dear VO,

I wrote you about my petition for the immigrant visa being sent back to the NVC/DHS. My wife was asked to make a correction to the I-864 and send it to me here in Nigeria, to give to you at the interview. But I didn't give it to you. Should I mail it to you so when you send the petition back, the file will have this important form to go with it? I made a mistake not giving it to you at the time of my interview even though I had it there in my possession. Please let me know. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.