Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (52) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (679260 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:24pm On Oct 22, 2014
Naaakua:
Dear VO,

I'm a us citizen, and did the 1-130 for my husband, he went for the interview and the consulate was "unable to issue a visa at this time due to insufficient documentation". We brought EVERYTHING they asked for including photos of our wedding. He even applied for a B1/B2 visa after that but was still denied. Since I'm expecting early November, my husband was told to wait till DNA evidence is provided. My questions are:

1. Why was the information provided insufficient? What if I wasn't expecting?

2. Does the DNA process really take 6 to 12 weeks to complete? I was hoping he will be around for Christmas if I deliver around 1st week of nov

3. If the DNA is positive between mum, dad and child, is it possible they will still come up with something else and deny the visa? Cuz I'm really scared now.

I'm sorry for the multiple questions, but thank you so soo very much for ur time!

Nancy

Without knowing which case is yours, I'm not sure how to answer. Would you feel comfortable telling me the date of the interview and the last three digits of the case number? I should be able to figure it out from that.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by imhassan: 3:29pm On Oct 22, 2014
VisaOfficer:

If you're still in administrative processing, you're not done yet. smiley Please send us an e-mail and remind us to change the category from CR1 to IR1. The change does NOT happen automatically in our system, so if you start the process as a CR1, interview as a CR1, and then your anniversary happens, it's up to you to let us know.

thanks a lot sir , i live in Egypt so as long as im still on administrative process ,when i reach my second marriage anniversary i should send an email to the embassy in Egypt remind them with my marriage date and second anniversary ? im worry to do that and it become mess sad
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Naaakua: 3:46pm On Oct 22, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Without knowing which case is yours, I'm not sure how to answer. Would you feel comfortable telling me the date of the interview and the last three digits of the case number? I should be able to figure it out from that.

Sure, the immigrant case interview was on 9/3/14 and its LGS...013. The non-immigrant B1/B2 case was on 10/3/14, I dont have the case number for this second case. Thank you again!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:07pm On Oct 22, 2014
imhassan:

thanks a lot sir , i live in Egypt so as long as im still on administrative process ,when i reach my second marriage anniversary i should send an email to the embassy in Egypt remind them with my marriage date and second anniversary ? im worry to do that and it become mess sad

Yes, just send them a polite little note after your second anniversary... "I know you're busy; this is just to let you know that I have now been married for two years, so I believe my visa category should be changed to IR-1, please." They'll be grateful -- I know I would be!

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by imhassan: 4:13pm On Oct 22, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Yes, just send them a polite little note after your second anniversary... "I know you're busy; this is just to let you know that I have now been married for two years, so I believe my visa category should be changed to IR-1, please." They'll be grateful -- I know I would be!

smiley i don't really know how to thank you ,you are really great

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:24pm On Oct 22, 2014
Naaakua:

Sure, the immigrant case interview was on 9/3/14 and its LGS...013. The non-immigrant B1/B2 case was on 10/3/14, I dont have the case number for this second case. Thank you again!

I'll check it first thing in the morning! Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by cute2014: 5:51pm On Oct 22, 2014
VisaOfficer:

~grumble grumble~ Yes, he can file for his spouse, with the children as derivatives. ~grumble grumble grumble~

grin shocked.I really love your sense of humour.Hope u had a lovely day,do have good nite rest.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Adeyinka2014: 6:08pm On Oct 22, 2014
Good evening visa officer, thanks so much for taking the time out to answer questions, really much appreciated. My question is this, my husband filed an immigrant visa petition for me in 2012, it was approved by USCIS, but I was denied a visa at the visa interview in lagos. I was told I was eligible to file for an i601 waiver on grounds of inadmissibility, we have since filed the i601 waiver, and the waiver was Approved on the 13th of August 2014. I was also mailed a confirmation notice of approval, which indicated that all processing by USCIS was now complete, And we should wait for the us consulate to contact us. It's been a little over 2 months now, and we are yet to hear from the us consulate in lagos. I sent an email about a month ago to lagosIV@state.gov, indicating my email address and contact phone nos. I just wanted to know if it usually takes this long, or if they had been trying to reach me. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:14am On Oct 23, 2014
Adeyinka2014:
Good evening visa officer, thanks so much for taking the time out to answer questions, really much appreciated. My question is this, my husband filed an immigrant visa petition for me in 2012, it was approved by USCIS, but I was denied a visa at the visa interview in lagos. I was told I was eligible to file for an i601 waiver on grounds of inadmissibility, we have since filed the i601 waiver, and the waiver was Approved on the 13th of August 2014. I was also mailed a confirmation notice of approval, which indicated that all processing by USCIS was now complete, And we should wait for the us consulate to contact us. It's been a little over 2 months now, and we are yet to hear from the us consulate in lagos. I sent an email about a month ago to lagosIV@state.gov, indicating my email address and contact phone nos. I just wanted to know if it usually takes this long, or if they had been trying to reach me. Thanks

Hmm. When we receive waiver approval notifications, we update the case notes and contact the beneficiaries... so I don't know why you haven't been contacted. Could you e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov and mention your case number and Nairaland (so it gets forwarded appropriately)?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 10:54am On Oct 23, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Because honesty is the best policy and it is wrong to lie? Because, even if you can file for your pre-existing spouse and children, there are OTHER consequences of obtaining a Diversity Visa through fraud that will come back to haunt you later, such as maybe never being allowed to naturalize as a U.S. citizen? And, yes, lying about having failed to list a pre-existing spouse and children is fraud.
They should have known this and kept mute. File for the children later, at worst remain an LPR forever. Now so many missed that opportunity and lost money...that lady that sent you a pm and papa ejima of 2013. So many...OMG! I don't still understand the honesty part. Two people didn't include preexisting children and/or spouse for reasons as flimsy as I don't know if I will be selected...bam..you are...one didn't list not only his children but the spouse anywhere ...while the other didn't include a kid or two on the eDv. The former maintained his unmmaried status and now in the US but can file for them...the latter included d kids on the DS forms and lost out in everything. WoW.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Naaakua: 10:57am On Oct 23, 2014
Thanks a lot VO!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by flare1: 11:06am On Oct 23, 2014
Goood afternoon VO, please a friend of mine has her case pendind and her priority date is March 2013.her question is, since may they didn't move the date from sept 2012 its still showing thisame date.her category is I 30.the second question is she intend to go for her brothers Wedding this december, can she apply for a visting visa :she is engaged and she works in a good firm and she can sponsor herself, What are her chances cos a lot of people are saying she should not bother,that since she is on their list they Wnt give her the visa.but I read ur comment once. Saying otherwise.thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:14am On Oct 23, 2014
flare1:
Goood afternoon VO, please a friend of mine has her case pendind and her priority date is March 2013.her question is, since may they didn't move the date from sept 2012 its still showing thisame date.her category is I 30.the second question is she intend to go for her brothers Wedding this december, can she apply for a visting visa :she is engaged and she works in a good firm and she can sponsor herself, What are her chances cos a lot of people are saying she should not bother,that since she is on their list they Wnt give her the visa.but I read ur comment once. Saying otherwise.thanks

Who is the petitioner? There are many different types of I-130.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by flare1: 11:20am On Oct 23, 2014
Thanks, the dad
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Adeyinka2014: 11:36am On Oct 23, 2014
Thanks so much VIsa Officer. I just sent an email to LagosIv@state.gov. Thanks again, God bless you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by flare1: 11:48am On Oct 23, 2014
Their dad filed for them .thanks

VisaOfficer:

Who is the petitioner? There are many different types of I-130.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:18pm On Oct 23, 2014
eoc4ever:

Hello VO good to have you back.
Please i have few questions to ask.

1. Please does this apply to those that are in fact married traditionally and also had a court wedding. Do you tend to believe the beneficiary and petitioner have a boni fide marriage when both marriage is done?

2. What is the success visa rate of a Nigerian getting married to a white or Caucasian spouse and what is the success visa rate of a Nigerian getting married to a fellow Nigerian who is also a U.S citizen. ( am sorry i don't mean to be a racist). Do you take it easy on the beneficiary if he/she is married to a fellow Nigerian/American.

3. On the interview day, does the CO that will interview the beneficiary go thru the case file before the beneficiary gets called to the window. Does the CO have full knowledge of the case file in his/her hand before conducting the interview and is it true that most CO already know their decision or they know if they will issue the visa for that case file or not.

4. Does front-loading at USCIS stage or side-loading at the NVC stage help the case decision at the embassy?

5. Do you frown at long age gap, for instance if the petitioner(husband) is like 20yrs older than the beneficiary (wife) and was never married before and neither has any kids before. Does that help in the CO's decision considering the fact that both of them are looking forward to start a family ASAP.

Am so sorry for my long questions. Your response will be greatly appreciated.

Re question about age difference.

Not sure if the COs frown at it but my Wife was asked why she married someone 22 years older than her.

So the question may come up and you need to be able to answer truthfully.

PS: it wasn't asked condescendingly but just as part of the interview. I thought it was an interesting question.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:29pm On Oct 23, 2014
flare1:

Their dad filed for them .thanks

How old is she and is she married?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:03pm On Oct 23, 2014
CityNG:

Not sure if the COs frown at it but my Wife was asked why she married someone 22 years older than her.

PS: it wasn't asked condescendingly but just as part of the interview. I thought it was an interesting question.

I'm glad it didn't sound condescending. We ask all sorts of questions, and sometimes the families draw the wrong conclusion as to why we're asking. For instance, there's a petitioner out there who's still convinced I decided not to issue to her fiance because she knows his sister in the U.S. What really happened is that I did ask a lot of questions about the sister and her history with the petitioner, but all the answers ended up making sense, so that part of the conversation wasn't even mentioned in my decision to return the case. Yet we continue to receive complaints that I refused to issue because the petitioner and the sister know each other, when that isn't the reason at all. I mention this because often we spend a lot of time on a line of questioning that turns out to be absolutely fine, but the applicants worry because we've spent so much time on it. We don't know until we ask!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:18pm On Oct 23, 2014
ferdimako:

They should have known this and kept mute. File for the children later, at worst remain an LPR forever. Now so many missed that opportunity and lost money...that lady that sent you a pm and papa ejima of 2013. So many...OMG! I don't still understand the honesty part. Two people didn't include preexisting children and/or spouse for reasons as flimsy as I don't if I will be selected...bam..you are...one didn't list not only his children but the spouse anywhere ...while the other didn't include a kid or two on the eDv. The former maintained his unmmaried status and now in the US but can file for them...the latter included d kids on the DS forms and lost out in everything. WoW.

<Visa Officer shares her very strict and stern personal opinion, then deletes it from this thread smiley >
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:47pm On Oct 23, 2014
VisaOfficer:

<Visa Officer shares her very strict and stern personal opinion, then deletes it from this thread smiley >
okay... I understand some win, some lose.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lissagal: 3:56pm On Oct 23, 2014
Hello VO,
Nice job,we can't bt say may the good God of Nigerians bless u richly
Seems the consulate operates independent of nvc,the new 60days wait at nvc to get reviewed is heart accelerating though the workload seems way higher than available manpower. Can the journey from NVC to the consulate be made shorter and easier? The whole visa journey is enough to give one hypertension from missing ur spouse too much to palpitation of not knowing when u wud get a response. I have new addiction of checking visa case status at ceac hoping I see the good news. This long distance is killing me. But how long Does CR1 visa take from NVC to interview for nigeria consulate.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by eoc4ever: 4:09pm On Oct 23, 2014
CityNG:

Thanks a lot, i really appreciate.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lissagal: 6:16pm On Oct 23, 2014
Nice job VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:43pm On Oct 23, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Darn, I missed it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.