Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,598 members, 7,827,255 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (55) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (679429 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pretty16(f): 7:59pm On Oct 28, 2014
tonyphil:

Hello VO,
Tanks for helpin to generate d report...I appreciate..I see u ar as active as ever...hopin you will continue ur good work for a long time to come...
My wife is in d country so we can perform d registry. Due to d short duration of her stay (just 4 days) I opted to have us do the registry ceremony in lagos instead of benin wher I reside and due to d closeness to wher we put up in lagos I registered for the wedding at festac registry..
Fast forward to this morning..a friend calls me to tell me that the US embassy only recognise certificates from Ikoyi registry so I should go there to register...it was a very laughable suggestion/observation...but out of curiosity and to educate d public and also to hear from "the horses" mouth..am posin d question to u..does it matter wher I do my registry marriage?

@ Tonyphil, my mum got married @ the Ikeja registry in 2008 which is where we lived, and she didn't have an issue with it on the day of her interview. I still can't help but wonder how people who live in Ikeja or other environs, go all the way to Ikoyi registry because they think it is the only registry the Consulate recognizes. Then again I can't wait till tomorrow to read what the V.O would say about it.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by petismine(f): 10:19pm On Oct 28, 2014
Dear VO, am new here. My husband is a LPR he filed an immigrant visa for me and our kids, we went for interview in September and was asked for a DNA test by the CO. We've been scheduled for sample collection next month, my question is will there be another interview after DNA results are ready? and how long will it take for them to issue us visa after DNA results are ready? Thank you for being here for us all.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by PMBL: 4:29am On Oct 29, 2014
Hello VO I have questions relating to the affidivit of support form I-864. I am sponsoring my family member and need to know if my income is not enough would the embassy allow me to use income from my court order child support ? and if so can I record both income as one on part 6, line 5 of form I-864? Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:29am On Oct 29, 2014
tonyphil:

Hello VO,
Tanks for helpin to generate d report...I appreciate..I see u ar as active as ever...hopin you will continue ur good work for a long time to come...
My wife is in d country so we can perform d registry. Due to d short duration of her stay (just 4 days) I opted to have us do the registry ceremony in lagos instead of benin wher I reside and due to d closeness to wher we put up in lagos I registered for the wedding at festac registry..
Fast forward to this morning..a friend calls me to tell me that the US embassy only recognise certificates from Ikoyi registry so I should go there to register...it was a very laughable suggestion/observation...but out of curiosity and to educate d public and also to hear from "the horses" mouth..am posin d question to u..does it matter wher I do my registry marriage?

This horse says NEIGH, it does not matter where you do your registry marriage. smiley

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:33am On Oct 29, 2014
VisaOfficer:

This horse says NEIGH, it does not matter where you do your registry marriage. smiley

You are one funny person. Lol @ "this horse says neigh"

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:37am On Oct 29, 2014
petismine:
Dear VO, am new here. My husband is a LPR he filed an immigrant visa for me and our kids, we went for interview in September and was asked for a DNA test by the CO. We've been scheduled for sample collection next month, my question is will there be another interview after DNA results are ready? and how long will it take for them to issue us visa after DNA results are ready? Thank you for being here for us all.

Good morning! We send the DNA samples to the labs in the next day's overnight mail, and usually get the results back within two weeks. It can take another week for us to process the results, but as soon as we do, we contact the families to follow up on anything else that is needed. If everything else is in order, you can pick up the visas a week after you drop your passports off.

For the record, the reason it takes a few days to process the results is as follows. First the results arrive with all the Consulate's other mail, which is sorted by the mailroom. Then it comes to the visa section of the Consulate. Then it gets sorted again and the DNA results come to my desk, along with all my other mail. So that day or early the next day is when I open it. The results go to my staff to put with the cases, and then officers review the cases to see what else is needed and what steps remain to be taken. Then we contact the families. We often receive e-mails that say "I know you got my results yesterday; why haven't you issued the visa yet?" -- this is why. smiley

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:38am On Oct 29, 2014
PMBL:
Hello VO I have questions relating to the affidivit of support form I-864. I am sponsoring my family member and need to know if my income is not enough would the embassy allow me to use income from my court order child support ? and if so can I record both income as one on part 6, line 5 of form I-864? Thanks

Yes, but be sure to include documentation of the child support. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by printemps: 9:50am On Oct 29, 2014
A very pleasant morning CO.In one of your post here you said appointments will have to be made if petitioners want to come make inquiry about their pending visa case.Can a born US citizen petitioner who has a spouse under AP come make inquiry & speak to you directly?If yes,how can such appointments be made?Thanks/Merci/Gracias. - A S Rufus
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:05am On Oct 29, 2014
printemps:
A very pleasant morning CO.In one of your post here you said appointments will have to be made if petitioners want to come make inquiry about their pending visa case.Can a born US citizen petitioner who has a spouse under AP come make inquiry & speak to you directly?If yes,how can such appointments be made?Thanks/Merci/Gracias. - A S Rufus

No, we don't answer inquiries in person. Here's what our FAQ says:

Q: Can I come to the Consulate to inquire about my case?

A: No. The U.S. Consulate General, Lagos does not have the capacity to answer routine visa inquiries in person. If you have questions regarding Non-Immigrant visa cases, please email us at LagosNIV@state.gov, immigrant visas, LagosIV@state.gov or American Citizens Services, LagosACS@state.gov.

If, during the course of our work on a case, we come to believe we need to speak with the petitioner, at that point we will contact the petitioner and set up an appointment. But petitioners are always free to contact us at LagosIV@state.gov.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by victoreo(m): 11:02am On Oct 29, 2014
Top of the morning to you VO.

Please How long does it take for the system to send a password reissue if one forgets his/her password....
Or he/she use another email to book an appointment? Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by printemps: 12:07pm On Oct 29, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Good morning,

Due to our caseload, there is no way for people to book an appointment here if there's no active case. Because you don't have an active case here at the moment, you wouldn't be able to book an appointment.

Thank you for your kind words!

Can you,please,explain what you meant when you said the above to angrybird?

Please CO,do not let my so many questions bother you or give you a wrong impression of me as being confrontational or contentious.Its just I need clarifications,so that,if we're able take advantage of whatever provisions is available to us in order to help our situation we would.My kind Regards.-A S Rufus.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:57pm On Oct 29, 2014
victoreo:
Top of the morning to you VO.

Please How long does it take for the system to send a password reissue if one forgets his/her password....
Or he/she use another email to book an appointment? Thanks

Greetings! I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this question. Please contact USTravelDocs directly at http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-main-contactus.asp.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:59pm On Oct 29, 2014
printemps:
Can you,please,explain what you meant when you said the above to angrybird?

Please CO,do not let my so many questions bother you or give you a wrong impression of me as being confrontational or contentious.Its just I need clarifications,so that,if we're able take advantage of whatever provisions is available to us in order to help our situation we would.My kind Regards.-A S Rufus.

I don't find your questions contentious at all!

I think my answer was in reference to someone whose K case is closed; it's been sent back to USCIS with a memo explaining that he's already married. Now he's asking if his wife can come talk to us. He doesn't have an active case in Lagos at the moment because his previous case has been returned, but his wife has not yet filed a new petition. So, at the moment, he and his wife are not eligible for an appointment at the Immigrant Visa Unit, because they don't have a case open here.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Naaakua: 3:04pm On Oct 29, 2014
Dear VO

I really cannot thank you enough for your assistance, my husband got a call for the interview and the visa was granted!!!! He was told to come next week to pick it up. I'm literally shocked because I didn't think he will be able to make it for the delivery of our baby girl!, save money from doing the DNA test and being together as a family. Ur really a Godsend. From the bottom of my heart I want to say THANK YOU very much. I really wish I can give you a hug right now, in the meantime, I pray your wishes and dreams come true!

Regards,
Steph (LGS ...013)

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by abos: 3:42pm On Oct 29, 2014
Dear VO good day ma , we are the family that did adoption and the visa was cancelled , hope u remember us ma ? We av mail lagos iv and the truth has been told. Ma we want to ask a question is it possible for our being banned from entering united state be lifted, how many years ma and how can it be done. Tanks ma we await your response
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:56pm On Oct 29, 2014
Naaakua:
Dear VO

I really cannot thank you enough for your assistance, my husband got a call for the interview and the visa was granted!!!! He was told to come next week to pick it up. I'm literally shocked because I didn't think he will be able to make it for the delivery of our baby girl!, save money from doing the DNA test and being together as a family. Ur really a Godsend. From the bottom of my heart I want to say THANK YOU very much. I really wish I can give you a hug right now, in the meantime, I pray your wishes and dreams come true!

Regards,
Steph (LGS ...013)

Hi Steph,

Glad to hear it! I had nothing to do with it but I'm glad to take the credit. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:57pm On Oct 29, 2014
abos:
Dear VO good day ma , we are the family that did adoption and the visa was cancelled , hope u remember us ma ? We av mail lagos iv and the truth has been told. Ma we want to ask a question is it possible for our being banned from entering united state be lifted, how many years ma and how can it be done. Tanks ma we await your response

If you have the opportunity to apply for a visa in the future, you can apply for a waiver of the ineligibilities at that time. It is, however, very difficult to obtain a waiver for an ineligibility under INA 212(a)(6)(E) -- attempted human smuggling.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:54pm On Oct 29, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Okay. I love this horse. So VO, can it also be done in other states like Enugu apart from Abuja? I really don't like crowded place.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:58pm On Oct 29, 2014
GolfingDiva:
Okay. I love this horse. So VO, can it also be done in other states like Enugu apart from Abuja? I really don't like crowded place.

We accept marriage certificates from any Nigerian registry that is authorized to issue them. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 5:29pm On Oct 29, 2014
Good day VO
This is my first post
So I went for my interview yesterday, and I was told to run a DNA test with my mum. Pls, I hope it won't take time for them to invite me for another interview, I will soon turn 18 yrs .and is it a guarantee to get my visa after d DNA test
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 5:30pm On Oct 29, 2014
VisaOfficer:

We accept marriage certificates from any Nigerian registry that is authorized to issue them. smiley
Wow. That's fantastic. Thank you. Xie xie nin cheesy
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by abos: 7:44pm On Oct 29, 2014
VisaOfficer:

If you have the opportunity to apply for a visa in the future, you can apply for a waiver of the ineligibilities at that time. It is, however, very difficult to obtain a waiver for an ineligibility under INA 212(a)(6)(E) -- attempted human smuggling.
Thank you ma for your response .how long does it take before we can apply for visa?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:26am On Oct 30, 2014
chukwumaebenmel:
Good day VO
This is my first post
So I went for my interview yesterday, and I was told to run a DNA test with my mum. Pls, I hope it won't take time for them to invite me for another interview, I will soon turn 18 yrs .and is it a guarantee to get my visa after d DNA test

It will depend on how quickly we receive the DNA test kit -- which depends on your family in the States.

If the DNA results show a match, as long as you don't have any criminal or other ineligibilities, you should receive the visa!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:28am On Oct 30, 2014
GolfingDiva:
Wow. That's fantastic. Thank you. Xie xie nin cheesy

不客气.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:28am On Oct 30, 2014
abos:
Thank you ma for your response .how long does it take before we can apply for visa?

There's no waiting period.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by abos: 7:40am On Oct 30, 2014
[quote author=VisaOfficer post=27570319]

There's no waiting period. [/quote alright ma tank you for ur response
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:34am On Oct 30, 2014
Thank you VO. But this thing is not nice, why won't they make d DNA stuff a general requirement while petitioners file visas for their beneficiaries. By doing so, they will stop wasting peoples time and energy. Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:53am On Oct 30, 2014
chukwumaebenmel:
Thank you VO. But this thing is not nice, why won't they make d DNA stuff a general requirement while petitioners file visas for their beneficiaries. By doing so, they will stop wasting peoples time and energy. Thank you

Often cases can be adjudicated without suggesting a DNA test, so there's no reason at this time to make it a general requirement.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Raynor: 12:21pm On Oct 30, 2014
Hi ,I have been to the US 3 times,all of them on a J1 visa,but the third time I have changed status(from J1 to B2) I and got approved for 6 months(but I left the country one month before my new status expired) the problem is I have worked during my stay there(while my status was B2) and I was getting paychecks aswell.Now I want to apply for a C1D visa,my question is will I have problems in in the embassy,and does the change of status will affect my future visa applications.thanks for the honest answer
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:14pm On Oct 30, 2014
Raynor:
Hi ,I have been to the US 3 times,all of them on a J1 visa,but the third time I have changed status(from J1 to B2) I and got approved for 6 months(but I left the country one month before my new status expired) the problem is I have worked during my stay there(while my status was B2) and I was getting paychecks aswell.Now I want to apply for a C1D visa,my question is will I have problems in in the embassy,and does the change of status will affect my future visa applications.thanks for the honest answer

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 30, 2014
Good Morning VO,

I posted a message earlier back when you had logging issue, but I didnt get a response from you or maybe I didnt look well enough for the response- it's all good though.
I have few questions,
1) I am deeply confused, my case have been in AP for more than 60 days since the day my Fiancee went for her interview still no word from the consulate, I did read a previous post by you and you stated AP "could" be bring your Birth Certificate today and we could issue you visa tomorrow. I would like to know why the case was in AP , do we have to bring in a document? or ? I would have thought after the interview the consular officer was supposed to provide the beneficiary a document on why they took any action on the case like, denial or temporary refusal by placing the case on AP or sending it back recommending revocation based on INA ..... or ....... however no document was issued, she was just directed to complete the contact sheet and the case will be placed on administrative processing with no word on why it will be placed on AP. If I could get the report on why the decision was made, I will appreciate.
2) The petition is set to expire on 11/01/14. what is the fate of the petition now or after the expiration, do the consulate plan to resolve the pending issue before the petition expires? after the expiration date do the consulate still process the case or do they send it back to USCIS.

Thanks again VO for the good job you are doing here, May GOD Bless You.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:08pm On Oct 30, 2014
NenyeEdu:
Good Morning VO,

I posted a message earlier back when you had logging issue, but I didnt get a response from you or maybe I didnt look well enough for the response- it's all good though.
I have few questions,
1) I am deeply confused, my case have been in AP for more than 60 days since the day my Fiancee went for her interview still no word from the consulate, I did read a previous post by you and you stated AP "could" be bring your Birth Certificate today and we could issue you visa tomorrow. I would like to know why the case was in AP , do we have to bring in a document? or ? I would have thought after the interview the consular officer was supposed to provide the beneficiary a document on why they took any action on the case like, denial or temporary refusal by placing the case on AP or sending it back recommending revocation based on INA ..... or ....... however no document was issued, she was just directed to complete the contact sheet and the case will be placed on administrative processing with no word on why it will be placed on AP. If I could get the report on why the decision was made, I will appreciate.
2) The petition is set to expire on 11/01/14. what is the fate of the petition now or after the expiration, do the consulate plan to resolve the pending issue before the petition expires? after the expiration date do the consulate still process the case or do they send it back to USCIS.

Thanks again VO for the good job you are doing here, May GOD Bless You.

Just checking before I reply -- you're the petitioner in case LGS2014696014, right? Didn't you just e-mail us yesterday making a different request about this case?

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.