Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,827 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (73) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (678428 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Raahym(m): 7:48pm On Dec 04, 2014
VisaOfficer:

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .

Thank you so much would contact the link.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by fatboislim(m): 8:42pm On Dec 04, 2014
Dear VO,
My sister was at the embassy on the 25th Nov and was asked to pick up her visa a week later. But she got a call on the 1st of dec to return to the embassy for fingerprinting and swearing of oath. She returned 2nd of Dec for fingerprinting and swearing of oath. I already booked her flight for 10th of Dec. I checked the visa status and it says administrative processing. I'm a little worried here. Her case number is lgs2009669007.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by milder: 4:25am On Dec 05, 2014
K1/K2 VISA CUSTODY QUESTION

I am filing a K1/K2 (Form I-129) for my Nigerian Fiance, she's a single mom (unwed) with sole custody of a 3year old child. Child's father has never been part of their lives.
What kind of documentation would she need to satisfy sole custody at K1 Visa Interview (Lagos), to be able to travel with the child to the US if they are approved?
Your recommended suggestion(s) would be much appreciated.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by omotfavy(f): 6:09am On Dec 05, 2014
VisaOfficer:

This is all for your friend, right? Someone should fill out the DS-260 for the baby online, just as the principal applicant filled it out for herself (or as someone completed it for her). The case number and invoice ID number are the same as for the principal applicant. As for the passport for the medical exam, yes, if she is updating her medicals she will need her passport. Ask her to send us an e-mail at LagosIV@state.gov so she can make arrangements to pick it up. (I'm not sure why the panel physician would want her to show her passport if it's the baby who needs the medical report, but perhaps that's one of their requirements?)
.thanks very much ma,d hubby said he has tried using the mother'ks invoice and case no. It shows completed.pls enlighten me more on how to fill this form.the baby did her medicals yesterday,filling d form is d prob now.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by AtirHaq: 2:14pm On Dec 05, 2014
@Visa officer: Hello I m Atir from Pakistan, my wife (a US citizen) filed my i-130 case on May 19, 2014 to USCIS, my I-130 approved on November 3,2014 and on November 6, 2014 they have transferred my case to NVC.

Now its been more than a month and NVC hasn't issued a case number yet, my question is can you please inform me what is the whole procedure and how long does it takes to completes this process, as I have to leave my job and setup all of the stuff over here before moving.

It will be very kind of you if you can inform about the whole procedure and time frame it will take approx. (considering the delays these days).

Regards,
Atir-ul-Haq
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:30pm On Dec 05, 2014
fbshina:
Hello Sir,
My immigrant visa interview held on the 17th, October, 2014, the visa was denied coz the consular officer felt our marriage was not bonafide. he gave me a paper that stated that the petition will be returned to USCIS for review. My wife had been to Nigeria 2 times and the wedding took place in Nigeria. Since after the interview, my wife has made spirited efforts to contact USCIS and NVC, they keep telling her they have not received the petition, while US Consulate in lagos replied me in the email I sent to them that the petition has been returned to them. My case no is LGS2014601031. Please sir, kindly assist in looking at what is happening on the said petition. I shall be very happy to read from u soon. Thank u

Greetings! I'm not in the office at the moment -- but I know that any cases that were seen on or before Oct. 17 would already be on their way back to USCIS. It can take a few weeks for the cases to be delivered and for USCIS to process them, due to the enormous volume of cases they handle.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:35pm On Dec 05, 2014
fatboislim:
Dear VO,
My sister was at the embassy on the 25th Nov and was asked to pick up her visa a week later. But she got a call on the 1st of dec to return to the embassy for fingerprinting and swearing of oath. She returned 2nd of Dec for fingerprinting and swearing of oath. I already booked her flight for 10th of Dec. I checked the visa status and it says administrative processing. I'm a little worried here. Her case number is lgs2009669007.

Greetings! It sounds like her visa is being processed and will be ready in just a few days, if it isn't already ready. We encourage people not to buy tickets until their visas have been printed and delivered, because sometimes there are delays in printing.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:37pm On Dec 05, 2014
milder:
K1/K2 VISA CUSTODY QUESTION

I am filing a K1/K2 (Form I-129) for my Nigerian Fiance, she's a single mom (unwed) with sole custody of a 3year old child. Child's father has never been part of their lives.
What kind of documentation would she need to satisfy sole custody at K1 Visa Interview (Lagos), to be able to travel with the child to the US if they are approved?
Your recommended suggestion(s) would be much appreciated.

We actually don't look into custody issues during the visa process, because Nigeria does such a good job of looking into that before people travel. The mother will need to convince the Nigerian passport office and the airport agents that the father has granted permission for the child to travel, but it's not an issue that will come up during the visa interview. (In other countries, where the host government is not so concerned with children's welfare, we are much more meticulous in this area.)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:39pm On Dec 05, 2014
omotfavy:
.thanks very much ma,d hubby said he has tried using the mother'ks invoice and case no. It shows completed.pls enlighten me more on how to fill this form.the baby did her medicals yesterday,filling d form is d prob now.

Ah, it sounds like we need to add the baby to the mother's case. Please send an e-mail to LagosIV@state.gov and let us know that we need to add a derivative. We will need to know the name, date of birth, and gender in order to make the baby's application accessible to the family.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:41pm On Dec 05, 2014
AtirHaq:
@Visa officer: Hello I m Atir from Pakistan, my wife (a US citizen) filed my i-130 case on May 19, 2014 to USCIS, my I-130 approved on November 3,2014 and on November 6, 2014 they have transferred my case to NVC.

Now its been more than a month and NVC hasn't issued a case number yet, my question is can you please inform me what is the whole procedure and how long does it takes to completes this process, as I have to leave my job and setup all of the stuff over here before moving.

It will be very kind of you if you can inform about the whole procedure and time frame it will take approx. (considering the delays these days).

Regards,
Atir-ul-Haq

Good morning,

It could be a few months still before a case number is assigned. Currently, it's taking around six to eight months before NVC finishes processing a case and schedules it for an interview. You'll probably have at least a month, maybe six weeks, between the time you're notified that your interview has been scheduled and the interview itself. Good luck -- I hope everything goes quickly!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by milder: 4:29pm On Dec 05, 2014
VisaOfficer:

We actually don't look into custody issues during the visa process, because Nigeria does such a good job of looking into that before people travel. The mother will need to convince the Nigerian passport office and the airport agents that the father has granted permission for the child to travel, but it's not an issue that will come up during the visa interview. (In other countries, where the host government is not so concerned with children's welfare, we are much more meticulous in this area.)

Thanx very much Officer, your feedback is extremely helpful on the possible K1 Custody question. God bless and Happy Holidays!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by omotfavy(f): 10:34pm On Dec 05, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Ah, it sounds like we need to add the baby to the mother's case. Please send an e-mail to LagosIV@state.gov and let us know that we need to add a derivative. We will need to know the name, date of birth, and gender in order to make the baby's application accessible to the family.
.Hi,pls i need u to help me add my daughter to my visa derivative.Her name is ......,date of birth is .......,sex is.....my hubby tried filling the form DS-260 but after inputing my case number and invoice no it shows completed,kindly help us with this,medicals has already been done.thanks
This is d copy of d mail she sent to embassy.they replied dat d msg has bin forwarded to d appropriate unit and she shld wait patiently.Ma,like how many. Weeks wil all the process take.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by najite00: 12:37am On Dec 06, 2014
Goodevenig sir,I must commend the good work you are doing here,bless you
My question goes thus :sometimes last year my wife won the visa lottery,the interview was april this year,we had no child then,twas shortly after our maRriage but ffor some reasons listed below we were denied the visa
1.Misrepresentation of materials( on my part)
2.Allien smuggling(on my wife's)
Now an oppurtunity seems to be in the horizon For me to step on the soil of america come next year as my company wants to include my name among those that would be attending a month training programme in florida,am a bit scared my earlier refusal may have dented my profile,we did not appeal the denial becos we did not want to show any desperation in trying to get to the united state,I am currently emplyed gainfully here and my wife isnt doing bad either,
Sir pls,kindly advice me on what to do?should I conceed my position For the training for someone else cos I would not want to waste the slot
Or would a year be enough time to overlook my flaws in the last interview?
Looking forward to reading from you sir
Do av a great holiday ang rgds to ur famil
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tonyphil: 12:40am On Dec 06, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Good morning,

It could be a few months still before a case number is assigned. Currently, it's taking around six to eight months before NVC finishes processing a case and schedules it for an interview. You'll probably have at least a month, maybe six weeks, between the time you're notified that your interview has been scheduled and the interview itself. Good luck -- I hope everything goes quickly!

Hello vo
Compliment of d season..I was literally sweating after reading ur above post..it takes abt 5months for USCIS to approve a case and forward it to nvc. And another 6 to 8 months for a case number to b assigned and an interview scheduled?. Pls I need clarification. Tanks as always

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Vicobaba123: 7:55am On Dec 06, 2014
Dear VO,
I was denied visa yesterday. I want to know if a spouse of a USC is not eligible for a non immigrate visa. I have a good job here in Nigeria and our kids are Nigerians but the lady that interviewed me said I have a stronger ties to the USA than to Nigeria, and that I can only get an immigrant visa,how could that be even when I told her I have no plan moving my family to the USA and that my wife will be returning finally back to Nigeria 24th Dec.
Also I have a conference organized by the American society of civil engineers of which I am member in feb 2015 do u think I can apply ? And what are my chances?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by AtirHaq: 12:48pm On Dec 06, 2014
@Visa Officer

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it. But this wait time is killing me & my wife, is there any way to expedite this process? Also what documents do we need to submit to NVC so that we can submit it timely & accurately.

Regards,
Atir

VisaOfficer:

Good morning,

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by oloriakinyemi: 9:09pm On Dec 06, 2014
Hi VO
My husband travelled to d USA thru Visa lottery in 2010,he has filled in for us(with our 2yr old daughter)but haven't receive any interview date,while waiting we planing on applyin for a visiting visa,i can't wait any longer to see my husband since 2010.please is applying for visiting a good idea?
Av once applied for a student visa in 2012 but was denied.tanx
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jayokla: 7:29pm On Dec 07, 2014
Dear VO,
Compliments of the season, please i have someone who has been denied student visa twice before, and now this person has been invited for a wedding in the US for next year and the invitee has already sent her the Wedding I.V and even a back up letter with his company's letter headed paper stating that she has an important role to play at his wedding and included his personal details for verification purposes. My question now is, will the invitee have to forward the same letter to the embassy, as in copy the embassy? Thanks in anticipation.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by misszionboo(f): 9:55pm On Dec 07, 2014
Hi. I've been denied twice in Abuja is it advisable to. Apply but lagos?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ayinba1(f): 2:31am On Dec 08, 2014
Dear VO,

Thank you for your response. I followed your instructions to a T. My father arrived at the IV inquiry gate but was turned back. He could not get a word in. They insisted that he send an email to the address "LagosIV@state.gov". I was contacted by phone and I told my dad to print out the correspondence which I had exchanged with the US Embassy where the instruction said to come on a Friday at 0700 for an initial determination after which he would be given another date for the interview.
He returned and by this time it was close to10.00 am and he was told to return next Friday at 0630am. I am not really sure why it went this way but I sent emails to the lagosIV@state.gov to explain the experience that my father had. He travelled from out of state and had to spend the night at a hotel in order to be on time. I am not sure what we did incorrectly.
All the same, thank you for your advice.

VisaOfficer:

First, send an e-mail to LagosIV@state.gov and request an appointment. Here's what we tell people:

Returning resident visa applicants are required to pay a non-refundable filing fee of US$180 and to submit a duly completed DS-117 form. The filing fee is NOT the visa application fee; this fee is for the determination of returning resident status. In the initial interview, please submit:

• Completed DS-117
• $180 application fee
• Proof of lawful permanent residence (i.e., form I-551 or “green card,” etc.)
• Nigerian passport
• Proof of travel outside of the U.S. (i.e., airline tickets, boarding passes, passport stamps, etc.)
• Proof of ties to the U.S. (i.e., tax returns, pictures, school records, utility bills, etc.)
• Proof that prolonged stay in Nigeria was for reasons beyond the applicant’s control (i.e., medical incapacitation, death of family member, etc.)

Payment of the filing fee does not guarantee that returning resident status will be approved. The decision of status can only be made after a review of the returning resident application and supporting documents, and an interview by a consular officer.

If approved for returning resident status, the applicant will be instructed to complete the online DS-260 form and to make an appointment for a second interview. The applicant must still meet all other documentary and legal requirements to qualify for a new immigrant visa, including payment of the immigrant visa processing fee of US$205. At the second interview, please submit:

• $205 application fee
• Proof of lawful permanent residence (i.e., form I-551 or “green card,” etc.)
• Nigerian passport
• Two passport-size photos with a white background
• Birth certificate (original and photocopy)
• Marriage certificate, if married (original and photocopy)
• Medical report (from an accredited panel physician in Lagos)
• Police report
• I-134 Affidavit of Support from a sponsor in the United States

If returning resident status is not approved, a new immigrant visa petition may be able to be filed on behalf of the applicant.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:42pm On Dec 08, 2014
omotfavy:
.Hi,pls i need u to help me add my daughter to my visa derivative.Her name is ......,date of birth is .......,sex is.....my hubby tried filling the form DS-260 but after inputing my case number and invoice no it shows completed,kindly help us with this,medicals has already been done.thanks
This is d copy of d mail she sent to embassy.they replied dat d msg has bin forwarded to d appropriate unit and she shld wait patiently.Ma,like how many. Weeks wil all the process take.

It should be resolved in a matter of days, not weeks. Have you tried again recently?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:44pm On Dec 08, 2014
najite00:
Goodevenig sir,I must commend the good work you are doing here,bless you
My question goes thus :sometimes last year my wife won the visa lottery,the interview was april this year,we had no child then,twas shortly after our maRriage but ffor some reasons listed below we were denied the visa
1.Misrepresentation of materials( on my part)
2.Allien smuggling(on my wife's)
Now an oppurtunity seems to be in the horizon For me to step on the soil of america come next year as my company wants to include my name among those that would be attending a month training programme in florida,am a bit scared my earlier refusal may have dented my profile,we did not appeal the denial becos we did not want to show any desperation in trying to get to the united state,I am currently emplyed gainfully here and my wife isnt doing bad either,
Sir pls,kindly advice me on what to do?should I conceed my position For the training for someone else cos I would not want to waste the slot
Or would a year be enough time to overlook my flaws in the last interview?
Looking forward to reading from you sir
Do av a great holiday ang rgds to ur famil

You can apply, and if you qualify for the visa, the officer will let you know how to address your ineligibility. If it turns out that the ineligibility was entered incorrectly, we can delete it; if not, if the officer believes you should receive the non-immigrant visa, a waiver can be applied for on your behalf.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:45pm On Dec 08, 2014
tonyphil:

Hello vo
Compliment of d season..I was literally sweating after reading ur above post..it takes abt 5months for USCIS to approve a case and forward it to nvc. And another 6 to 8 months for a case number to b assigned and an interview scheduled?. Pls I need clarification. Tanks as always

I believe the six to eight months is how long it takes from the date the petition is filed to the date when it is ready to be scheduled for an interview by NVC.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:46pm On Dec 08, 2014
Vicobaba123:
Dear VO,
I was denied visa yesterday. I want to know if a spouse of a USC is not eligible for a non immigrate visa. I have a good job here in Nigeria and our kids are Nigerians but the lady that interviewed me said I have a stronger ties to the USA than to Nigeria, and that I can only get an immigrant visa,how could that be even when I told her I have no plan moving my family to the USA and that my wife will be returning finally back to Nigeria 24th Dec.
Also I have a conference organized by the American society of civil engineers of which I am member in feb 2015 do u think I can apply ? And what are my chances?

These are questions for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:48pm On Dec 08, 2014
AtirHaq:
@Visa Officer

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it. But this wait time is killing me & my wife, is there any way to expedite this process? Also what documents do we need to submit to NVC so that we can submit it timely & accurately.

Regards,
Atir

In general, cases are only expedited in life-and-death emergencies. NVC will provide you with a list of documents; in general, you will need to submit your marriage certificate, birth certificates, affidavit of financial support (I-864), and any documents showing how any previous marriages to other people were terminated.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:49pm On Dec 08, 2014
oloriakinyemi:
Hi VO
My husband travelled to d USA thru Visa lottery in 2010,he has filled in for us(with our 2yr old daughter)but haven't receive any interview date,while waiting we planing on applyin for a visiting visa,i can't wait any longer to see my husband since 2010.please is applying for visiting a good idea?
Av once applied for a student visa in 2012 but was denied.tanx

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:49pm On Dec 08, 2014
jayokla:
Dear VO,
Compliments of the season, please i have someone who has been denied student visa twice before, and now this person has been invited for a wedding in the US for next year and the invitee has already sent her the Wedding I.V and even a back up letter with his company's letter headed paper stating that she has an important role to play at his wedding and included his personal details for verification purposes. My question now is, will the invitee have to forward the same letter to the embassy, as in copy the embassy? Thanks in anticipation.

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:50pm On Dec 08, 2014
misszionboo:
Hi. I've been denied twice in Abuja is it advisable to. Apply but lagos?

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . But the answer is probably not; it'll look like you're visa shopping.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by omotfavy(f): 6:50pm On Dec 08, 2014
VisaOfficer:

It should be resolved in a matter of days, not weeks. Have you tried again recently?
d msg was sent today from d embassy

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.