Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,117 members, 7,814,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (74) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677874 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:53pm On Dec 08, 2014
ayinba1:
Dear VO,

Thank you for your response. I followed your instructions to a T. My father arrived at the IV inquiry gate but was turned back. He could not get a word in. They insisted that he send an email to the address "LagosIV@state.gov". I was contacted by phone and I told my dad to print out the correspondence which I had exchanged with the US Embassy where the instruction said to come on a Friday at 0700 for an initial determination after which he would be given another date for the interview.
He returned and by this time it was close to10.00 am and he was told to return next Friday at 0630am. I am not really sure why it went this way but I sent emails to the lagosIV@state.gov to explain the experience that my father had. He travelled from out of state and had to spend the night at a hotel in order to be on time. I am not sure what we did incorrectly.
All the same, thank you for your advice.

I apologize -- I should have added that after you send the e-mail requesting an appointment, we then reply to you and suggest an appointment date. I thought that that was spelled out in the automatic reply you received when you sent the e-mail to us. Next time I'll be sure to state this all more clearly.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ayinba1(f): 10:29pm On Dec 08, 2014
VisaOfficer:

I apologize -- I should have added that after you send the e-mail requesting an appointment, we then reply to you and suggest an appointment date. I thought that that was spelled out in the automatic reply you received when you sent the e-mail to us. Next time I'll be sure to state this all more clearly.

Thanks for your response. The initial response I received to my email to LagosIV@state.gov indicated any Friday at 0700 except public holidays and except last Friday of the month. After this initial visit, then the applicant would be given an appointment for an interview. I believe the directions you gave were accurate, we just had an awful experience with the employees at the gate. All the email response that I have received even since then do not give any directives other than the above. This time, my dad will print the emails to go with him and hopefully everything works out well.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:55pm On Dec 08, 2014
ayinba1:

Thanks for your response. The initial response I received to my email to LagosIV@state.gov indicated any Friday at 0700 except public holidays and except last Friday of the month. After this initial visit, then the applicant would be given an appointment for an interview. I believe the directions you gave were accurate, we just had an awful experience with the employees at the gate. All the email response that I have received even since then do not give any directives other than the above. This time, my dad will print the emails to go with him and hopefully everything works out well.

I apologize again -- that shouldn't have happened. Yes, please do ask your father to take the e-mails with him, and let me know how everything goes on Friday.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Udiboy(f): 5:38am On Dec 09, 2014
HELLO VO,
PLS HELP.I MADE A MISTAKE NOW FILLING OUT APPOINTMENT FOR MY B1/B2 VISA INTERVIEW,I DID NOT INCLUDE MY MIDDLE NAME IN THE APPOITMENT BECAUSE IT JUST SAID FIRST NAME,BUT I JUST READ THROUGH THE INSTRUCTIONS AGAIN AND I REALIZED YOU HAVE TO INCLUDE MIDDLE NAME ALSO AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR PASSPORT.
PLEASE,WHAT DO I DO.I SCHEDULED INTERVIEW FOR JAN,5TH ALREADY.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tonyphil: 8:50am On Dec 09, 2014
hello VO,
guess what!!!! our i130 has been approved by USCIS and forwarded to nvc less than a month after we filed... Its a miracle..we had to wait 7months for USCIS approval when we petitioned for K1.and I knw der ar more miracles ahead...
I don't want to get discouraged so I won't ask you any questions as per waiting times.....
looking forward to joining my angel before the end of march next yr...Cheers

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Duuzsz(m): 1:03pm On Dec 09, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Unless you have another relative in the U.S. who can file for you, I'm afraid this is your only option. If your father becomes a citizen, your priority date and wait time will remain approximately the same, although your visa category will change from F2B to F1 (unmarried child of U.S. citizen).

Since my dad file for F1 for me and its going to take about 7yrs, I was thinking to apply for F1 study visa, which is more quicker, I guess. hope it's will not affect the petition my dad already filed? Cos I will be graduating next year from the University. What's your say ma? I really need your opinion on this. Thanks, God bless.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by AtirHaq: 2:28pm On Dec 09, 2014
@Visa Officer

Thanks for your reply and documents mentioned are noted, just one more question that my wife is trying to call NVC for last couple of weeks during various times of day but there number is always on busy tone, also they are not replying on email sent by my wife. The number my wife is trying is 603 334 0700.

Could you please inform that is there any alternate number to contact or whats the reason behind this, as this is more frustrating that we couldn't get any response from them.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Atir

VisaOfficer:

In general, cases are only expedited in life-and-death emergencies. NVC will provide you with a list of documents; in general, you will need to submit your marriage certificate, birth certificates, affidavit of financial support (I-864), and any documents showing how any previous marriages to other people were terminated.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Badgers14: 4:06pm On Dec 09, 2014
@Atir.
Pardon me, am not trying to respond to your question, I will leave that to VO. I just want to tell my experience with NVC. the best time to reach them is by 7am CST, few times that I called them around that time, I was on hold for maximum of 30 mins, some days 5 mins some 10mins. calling during the day, the call hardly connects ( ALways busy). Also when I sent them an email, I got the reply after 1 month and 3 days. Goodluck!!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:12pm On Dec 09, 2014
Pls consular officer,
What are the procedures to give custody of my child to my aunt in USA.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:52pm On Dec 09, 2014
Udiboy:
HELLO VO,
PLS HELP.I MADE A MISTAKE NOW FILLING OUT APPOINTMENT FOR MY B1/B2 VISA INTERVIEW,I DID NOT INCLUDE MY MIDDLE NAME IN THE APPOITMENT BECAUSE IT JUST SAID FIRST NAME,BUT I JUST READ THROUGH THE INSTRUCTIONS AGAIN AND I REALIZED YOU HAVE TO INCLUDE MIDDLE NAME ALSO AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR PASSPORT.
PLEASE,WHAT DO I DO.I SCHEDULED INTERVIEW FOR JAN,5TH ALREADY.

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:54pm On Dec 09, 2014
tonyphil:
hello VO,
guess what!!!! our i130 has been approved by USCIS and forwarded to nvc less than a month after we filed... Its a miracle..we had to wait 7months for USCIS approval when we petitioned for K1.and I knw der ar more miracles ahead...
I don't want to get discouraged so I won't ask you any questions as per waiting times.....
looking forward to joining my angel before the end of march next yr...Cheers

This is awesome news! Hurray! We've already scheduled January so it does sound like you're looking at February or March. Hope to see you soon!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:56pm On Dec 09, 2014
Duuzsz:

Since my dad file for F1 for me and its going to take about 7yrs, I was thinking to apply for F1 study visa, which is more quicker, I guess. hope it's will not affect the petition my dad already filed? Cos I will be graduating next year from the University. What's your say ma? I really need your opinion on this. Thanks, God bless.

If you truly intend to use the student visa for its intended purpose, there's no reason why you shouldn't apply for it. We often see applicants who hope to study in the U.S. while their immigrant petitions are pending; as long as they're really going to study, there's no reason why they can't have visas. smiley

And if you don't qualify for a student visa, applying for it won't affect your pending immigrant petition negatively at all. Immigrant visas are different from non-immigrant visas in that previous non-immigrant visa applications (especially refusals) won't hurt your chances in the immigrant interview.... except, of course, for people who claimed to have a spouse and children in the non-immigrant visa interview, then show up saying they've never been married and have no kids in the immigrant visa interview. Even then, if they're telling the truth in the immigrant visa interview, they still end up with the visa after we've figured out what the truth is.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:58pm On Dec 09, 2014
AtirHaq:

@Visa Officer

Thanks for your reply and documents mentioned are noted, just one more question that my wife is trying to call NVC for last couple of weeks during various times of day but there number is always on busy tone, also they are not replying on email sent by my wife. The number my wife is trying is 603 334 0700.

Could you please inform that is there any alternate number to contact or whats the reason behind this, as this is more frustrating that we couldn't get any response from them.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Atir

That's the only contact information they have. Their website says: The National Visa Center is experiencing a high volume of inquiries at this time due to the increased number of approved petitions the NVC is receiving from USCIS. You may experience longer wait times when calling us and longer response time when emailing us. We are working diligently to reduce these wait times and we appreciate your patience. Don't give up!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:58pm On Dec 09, 2014
Badgers14:
@Atir.
Pardon me, am not trying to respond to your question, I will leave that to VO. I just want to tell my experience with NVC. the best time to reach them is by 7am CST, few times that I called them around that time, I was on hold for maximum of 30 mins, some days 5 mins some 10mins. calling during the day, the call hardly connects ( ALways busy). Also when I sent them an email, I got the reply after 1 month and 3 days. Goodluck!!

This is good information -- thanks! smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:03pm On Dec 09, 2014
malmo:
Pls consular officer,
What are the procedures to give custody of my child to my aunt in USA.

Are you asking so that your aunt can file an immigration petition on your child's behalf? From an immigrant visa perspective, the only custody arrangement we can recognize is a full and final adoption. This is only an option if the child's parents are truly unable to care for the child and are willing to permanently, irrevocably renounce all parental rights. The child must be no more than 16 years of age. If this applies to your situation, then a good starting point for your aunt is to review the information at adoption.state.gov.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by nalacandi(f): 5:58am On Dec 10, 2014
Dear VO,

I am once again attempting to get any information as to the status of my husband's visa application. Case #LGS2014598025. I continue to check the status website, but there is no change. This is very stressful being apart. My husband and I truly miss each other and I must admit some days are becoming more difficult than others. Please forgive me, but I cry often missing my husband and I don't understand what we did wrong. Is there is any update? Is it all possible that my husband could be here for Christmas. I was told I can't make contact with the email site until Jan 4, but we have not seen each other in 2 years and have been in this process for 18 months. Please any information would be appreciated. We just miss each other and love each other so much and we want children, but I am a little older. My mother is doing okay for now, but she is beginning to have more complications from her surgery and I am worried that I will be left here alone while she ends up back in the hospital again. I need my support for so much emotional support and I just can't imagine my life without him. I don't understand why the evidence we presented was not kept to see the communication exchange between us to assist in determining our case. Will it hurt our case if I make another inquiry even though it has not been 60 days since we were put in AP. This is tearing us up inside.

Thanks,

nalacandi ;( just so sad lately
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Duuzsz(m): 9:24am On Dec 10, 2014
VisaOfficer:

If you truly intend to use the student visa for its intended purpose, there's no reason why you shouldn't apply for it. We often see applicants who hope to study in the U.S. while their immigrant petitions are pending; as long as they're really going to study, there's no reason why they can't have visas. smiley

And if you don't qualify for a student visa, applying for it won't affect your pending immigrant petition negatively at all. Immigrant visas are different from non-immigrant visas in that previous non-immigrant visa applications (especially refusals) won't hurt your chances in the immigrant interview.... except, of course, for people who claimed to have a spouse and children in the non-immigrant visa interview, then show up saying they've never been married and have no kids in the immigrant visa interview. Even then, if they're telling the truth in the immigrant visa interview, they still end up with the visa after we've figured out what the truth is.

Thanks, you are such a blessing!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lislabo: 10:22am On Dec 10, 2014
Hi Visa Officer, please i need your help.
My wife went to the State a year ago with DV Lottery, i was suppose to go with her during the interview but due to my work and education we decided she must go alone and i ll join her later. my questions are,
1.Now she want me to migrate to the State and i want to know if its possible to join her now.
2.Can a relative outside her state givers Affidavits Of Support on her behave?
3.How long would the process takes.
Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by omotfavy(f): 10:57am On Dec 10, 2014
Helo ma,pls i want to ask if derivatives pay visa fee too.den afta d principal applicant has done interview before adding d derivative,wil there be. Anoda interview for d baby?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by gabriellle: 2:25pm On Dec 10, 2014
Dear VO,

I just called the NVC and was told my case has been transferred to Lagos for appointment scheduling. I am overjoyed!!

Two questions: Is it possible to be scheduled for february? Is it possible to request an earlier date after being scheduled?

Thank you very much!

Best,
Gabby
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VCTROKOYE: 2:28pm On Dec 10, 2014
Please is there any age limit for f2b to f1 revocation?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:22pm On Dec 10, 2014
nalacandi:
Dear VO,

I am once again attempting to get any information as to the status of my husband's visa application. Case #LGS2014598025. I continue to check the status website, but there is no change. This is very stressful being apart. My husband and I truly miss each other and I must admit some days are becoming more difficult than others. Please forgive me, but I cry often missing my husband and I don't understand what we did wrong. Is there is any update? Is it all possible that my husband could be here for Christmas. I was told I can't make contact with the email site until Jan 4, but we have not seen each other in 2 years and have been in this process for 18 months. Please any information would be appreciated. We just miss each other and love each other so much and we want children, but I am a little older. My mother is doing okay for now, but she is beginning to have more complications from her surgery and I am worried that I will be left here alone while she ends up back in the hospital again. I need my support for so much emotional support and I just can't imagine my life without him. I don't understand why the evidence we presented was not kept to see the communication exchange between us to assist in determining our case. Will it hurt our case if I make another inquiry even though it has not been 60 days since we were put in AP. This is tearing us up inside.

Thanks,

nalacandi ;( just so sad lately

I'm afraid I don't have any update for you. But making another inquiry won't hurt your case at all.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:24pm On Dec 10, 2014
lislabo:
Hi Visa Officer, please i need your help.
My wife went to the State a year ago with DV Lottery, i was suppose to go with her during the interview but due to my work and education we decided she must go alone and i ll join her later. my questions are,
1.Now she want me to migrate to the State and i want to know if its possible to join her now.
2.Can a relative outside her state givers Affidavits Of Support on her behave?
3.How long would the process takes.
Thanks

Your wife will need to file the I-130 on your behalf so you can travel as an F2A visa holder. Right now the wait time for F2As is running around one year, nine months.

Yes, a relative outside her state can provide the I-864.

Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:25pm On Dec 10, 2014
omotfavy:
Helo ma,pls i want to ask if derivatives pay visa fee too.den afta d principal applicant has done interview before adding d derivative,wil there be. Anoda interview for d baby?

Yes, derivatives are also charged the visa fee of $325, and we need to see the derivative in person and review the documents.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:27pm On Dec 10, 2014
gabriellle:
Dear VO,

I just called the NVC and was told my case has been transferred to Lagos for appointment scheduling. I am overjoyed!!

Two questions: Is it possible to be scheduled for february? Is it possible to request an earlier date after being scheduled?

Thank you very much!

Best,
Gabby

Woot! (as my nephews say) (it's an expression of joy)

If NVC asks us to take more cases in February, we plan to say yes, so it's possible that you might be scheduled for February. It is unlikely that you would qualify for an earlier interview date, though. We can only expedite cases in life-and-death emergencies.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:33pm On Dec 10, 2014
VCTROKOYE:
Please is there any age limit for f2b to f1 revocation?

No, no age limit. However, there's no guarantee that USCIS will approve your request to remain an F2B; and by the time your case becomes current, it's possible that the priority date for F1s may have shifted so that the F1 category is more advantageous after all. Here's the official response:

Under Section 6 of the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA), you can request the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to reclassify you back to the F2B category. You may contact USCIS to inform them that you wish to “opt out” of the automatic conversion to F1 and remain in the F2B category.

Unfortunately, the application of this opt-out provision is not automatic. USCIS would have to approve your request so you may be reclassified back to your F2B category. If your visa petition is still with the National Visa Center (NVC), you will have to provide a copy of the approval to NVC to update your records.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VCTROKOYE: 3:43pm On Dec 10, 2014

VisaOffer

No, no age limit. However, there's no guarantee that USCIS will approve your request to remain an F2B; and by the time your case becomes current, it's possible that the priority date for F1s may have shifted so that the F1 category is more advantageous after all. Here's the official response:

Under Section 6 of the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA), you can request the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to reclassify you back to the F2B category. You may contact USCIS to inform them that you wish to “opt out” of the automatic conversion to F1 and remain in the F2B category.

Unfortunately, the application of this opt-out provision is not automatic. USCIS would have to approve your request so you may be reclassified back to your F2B category. If your visa petition is still with the National Visa Center (NVC), you will have to provide a copy of the approval to NVC to update your records.
Thanks so much for your quick response and also for your advice. My priority date is 22 Sept. 2008. I feel it will be quicker if my application is processed under F2B rather under than F1. From Visa bulletin, I will be better my about a year.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Badgers14: 3:58pm On Dec 10, 2014
GoodMorning Ma,

I read on one of your replies today that Lagos have already scheduled IV interviews for January. Is this only for new cases sent to the consulate from NVC or both the ones currently in AP waiting for second interview? I guess what am trying to say is, for someone who's case is currently in AP, if the consulate concludes their investigation this december, do they have to wait Feb or March of next year for the second interview?

Thanks again Ma, enjoy the rest of your day.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by oloriakinyemi: 6:40pm On Dec 10, 2014
Good day Ma,

Have sent a message earlier but there haven't been any reply ma.
My husband filed in for me and my daughter in March this year for the spousal visa,while waiting,I ask him to invite us over,he is a green card holder,he won the DV lottery in 2010.please my question is,is it ok if he invites us?wont it affect the petition he had already filed for us?
Will really love to get a reply from you.thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Adeyinka2014: 7:02pm On Dec 10, 2014
VisaOfficer:

We sent you an e-mail in October that said:

Thank you for your email.

According to our records, we were unable to reach you on the phone number you provided. An e-mail was sent to you to inform you to return to the Consulate with your passport, new medical and police certificates; you will also need to fill out the DS260 online form. You may contact the National Visa center at NVCinquiry@state.gov to request your invoice number, which is needed to fill out the DS260. Print out the confirmation of the form and return with these documents on any business day except Fridays at 1pm.

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visa Unit
United States Consulate General
Lagos Nigeria

Dear VO,
Thank you ever so much for your kind assistance and responses may God bless and reward you richly in Jesus Name. I went for my visa interview last week thursday and to the glory of God my visa was approved and i was told to pick up my visa on Thursday which would be tomorrow. I realised after leaving the Embassy for the interview that the Consular Officer didnt ask for a new set of passport photographs. I believe the Embassy might have some I submitted earlier. However on checking my status it says administrative processing. It went from ready to administrative processing. I was wondering if the passport photographs had anything to do with it. I haven't heard from the Embassy, so as per the Consular Officers last instructions, I'm to pick up the visa on Thursday. I would appreciate any feedback or updates. Sorry to be a bother. Thanks so much. God bless
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:13pm On Dec 10, 2014
Badgers14:
GoodMorning Ma,

I read on one of your replies today that Lagos have already scheduled IV interviews for January. Is this only for new cases sent to the consulate from NVC or both the ones currently in AP waiting for second interview? I guess what am trying to say is, for someone who's case is currently in AP, if the consulate concludes their investigation this december, do they have to wait Feb or March of next year for the second interview?

Thanks again Ma, enjoy the rest of your day.

Greetings! Don't worry -- admin pro cases are scheduled differently than cases that are fresh from NVC. As soon as the administrative processing is complete, we'll contact you to set up the follow-up interview as soon as possible.

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (223)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.