Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:07 PM

Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. (23495 Views)

Let's Discuss About Indecent Dressing To Church / Atheists Come In Here Quickly...photo! / Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 6:56am On Jul 05, 2014
kolawaxxy: Well... To the atheists, how do you explain the wonders people like T.B Joshua perform?

For instance, a MOG calling someone he has never met before and telling him/her what was unknown to anyother person.

Does the supernatural exist?

Read up on cold reading.

Good thing is, it's what you can also do with good practice.

5 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 7:09am On Jul 05, 2014
JerryBerry:

Not all atheists are evolutionists. Some believe the universe was developed by some aliens. Still some others believe that God is dead. Apathei.sts and apatheistic agnostics consider it a useless effort and knowledge. Some others belief "energy" is same as God. The common denominator is that they do not believe the religious gods. And they do not believe in life afterdeath, nor reincarnation.
My username is censored?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:29am On Jul 05, 2014
cococandy: Here are some frequently asked questions for atheists.
Anyone feel free to pick any number and explain to me what they think.

[b]1. Are you absolutely sure there is no God? If not, then is it not possible that there is a God? And if it is possible that God exists, then can you think of any reason that would keep you from wanting to look at the evidence?

2. Would you agree that intelligently designed things call for an intelligent designer of them? If so, then would you agree that evidence for intelligent design in the universe would be evidence for a designer of the universe?

3. Would you agree that nothing cannot produce something? If so, then if the universe did not exist but then came to exist, wouldn’t this be evidence of a cause beyond the universe?

4. Would you agree with me that just because we cannot see something with our eyes—such as our mind, gravity, magnetism, the wind—that does not mean it doesn’t exist?

5. Would you also agree that just because we cannot see God with our eyes does not necessarily mean He doesn’t exist?

6. In the light of the big bang evidence for the origin of the universe, is it more reasonable to believe that no one created something out of nothing or someone created something out of nothing?

7. Would you agree that something presently exists? If something presently exists, and something cannot come from nothing, then would you also agree that something must have always existed?

8. If it takes an intelligent being to produce an encyclopedia, then would it not also take an intelligent being to produce the equivalent of 1000 sets of an encyclopedia full of information in the first one-celled animal? (Even atheists such as Richard Dawkins acknowledges that “amoebas have as much information in their DNA as 1000 Encyclopaedia Britannicas.” Richard Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker (New York: WW. Norton and Co., 1996), 116.)

9. If an effect cannot be greater than its cause (since you can’t give what you do not have to give), then does it not make more sense that mind produced matter than that matter produced mind, as atheists say?

10. Is there anything wrong anywhere? If so, how can we know unless there is a moral law?

11. If every law needs a lawgiver, does it not make sense to say a moral law needs a Moral Lawgiver?

12. Would you agree that if it took intelligence to make a model universe in a science lab, then it took super-intelligence to make the real universe?

13. Would you agree that it takes a cause to make a small glass ball found in the woods? And would you agree that making the ball larger does not eliminate the need for a cause? If so, then doesn’t the biggest ball of all (the whole universe) need a cause?

14. If there is a cause beyond the whole finite (limited) universe, would not this cause have to be beyond the finite, namely, non-finite or infinite?

15. In the light of the anthropic principle (that the universe was fine-tuned for the emergence of life from its very inception), wouldn’t it make sense to say there was an intelligent being who preplanned human life?[/b]

1. I am absolutely sure there is no God,

2. If it follows that intelligent beings must have intelligent creators then God must have a creator who also has a creator and then you'll have the infinite loop

3. Just like number 2 above that cause must have a cause no special pleadings. But if God can be uncaused, why can't the universe be uncaused.

4. I agree but this is argument doesn't make God real because, if you place a piece of metal in a magnetic field it moves. Doesn't ask us to have faith it'll move. It is objectively verifiable.

5. Not only have we not seen God but we don't even know the God to lookout for. India alone has 2500 gods.

All so called evidence for God are subjective.

6. As engineer I know that energy cannot be created nor destroyed. Energy is eternal. No God needed. Energy has always been and will always be.

7. I have addressed this point

8. By your logic we will always be stock in an infinite loop of increasingly intelligent creators.

9. Same loop of intelligent beings

10. There is no universal morality, take a look at the world and the chaos in it does it look like it has an intelligent law giver. The countries like Nigeria that are deeply religious are worse than irreligious countries

11. Refer to 10

12. Addressed

13. If God who by definition is more complex than the universe can be uncaused, then the universe can be uncaused.

14. I don't understand the. Question

15. The earth was designed for human life, why create over 2500 other planets. In our solar system alone we have 7 uninhabited planets. Was god being wasteful or was he just bored? Why not create just the earth? Why the milky way? Life came on earth because the planet met the required criteria needed to support life. Not the other way round.

Nice points though and have a lovely day

4 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:02am On Jul 05, 2014
urheme: @apatheist

People still die in your computer age hospital, where is dora, kafee etc and sorry about your grand mother eating all her children, pigs do too.

I love the benefit of science no doubt but the point is it does not prove the non existence of God, it will still kill me anyway so why should i capitalize on it

By telling ur self that science is not life, rather it is bullshit

Before you talk about proof on non-existance of God, you should first of all proof he exists.

See as you insult someone's family because of your imaginary friend. Bloody religionists

5 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 8:10am On Jul 05, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

Before you talk about proof on non-existance of God, you should first of all proof he exists.

See as you insult someone's family because of your imaginary friend. Bloody religionists
That is what Jesus would have done. cheesy
Hallelujah! !!! grin

2 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by blueyedgeek(m): 8:22am On Jul 05, 2014
Humans just want to keep on living forever. The thought of death scares us but belief in a God /Gods brings hope that all is not lost. This to me is the singular reason why people believe in deities, the fear of the unknown.

I am not atheist by the way.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by urheme: 8:25am On Jul 05, 2014
Apatheist: If I see a god when I die, I'll bash the motherfucker's head in for making me black. angry

You no well o!!

Inferiority complex and Low self esteem are mental illness

Some where in your innermost sub conscience you believed a god created you, your anger is that he made u black.

Pathetic!!!

Micheal jackson was born a black man too but died a white man, this is where science comes in, you have mentors already:

Buy a white skin and stop this your obsession
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 8:31am On Jul 05, 2014
urheme:

You no well o!!

Inferiority complex and Low self esteem are mental illness

Some where in your innermost sub conscience you believed a god created you, your anger is that he made u black.
Don't put words into my mouth. undecided
I said "if" find out the meaning of that word.
Pathetic!!!

Micheal jackson was born a black man too but died a white man, this is where science comes in, you have mentors already:

Buy a white skin and stop this your obsession
Why do you think he was the king of pop?
If I could do that I would.

By the way, are you supposed to be using technology?
I thought science was. "bullshit " in your words.

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by urheme: 8:37am On Jul 05, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

I am not a religionist.
You read this post in isolation and u launched an immediate attack. You don't understand a thing.

There have been a chain of post, perhaps you should be properly briefed before u start defending your friend
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by TheBigUrban2: 8:51am On Jul 05, 2014
urheme:

I am not a religionist.
You read this post in isolation and u launched an immediate attack. You don't understand a thing.

There have been a chain of post, perhaps you should be properly briefed before u start defending your friend

Please, dont mind the atheists

Check out this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/1799940/willy-wonka-tackles-god-funniest
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 8:59am On Jul 05, 2014
Generalshepherd. Your response is seen.
I can relate to your number 10 and I understand how that can affect people's beliefs.

Thanks for your time
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by urheme: 9:11am On Jul 05, 2014
Apatheist:
"if"

"If" as define from all the submissions that you have made, means that you are not sure of anything, there is a river of confussion and conflict within you, you are afraid of taking a stand even when convienced because you have no stand(there is God and there is no God), you are full of crazy doubt and they have over shadowed any reasonable doubt left in you(there is no prove for crazy doubt), you are consistently fighting with your conscience. Because of what your brain ask you to imagine,
You are being speculative on most issues,your post are after thoughts and do not represent your through position on the existence of a God.

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 05, 2014
urheme:

"If" as define from all the submissions that you have made, means that you are not sure of anything, there is a river of confussion and conflict within you, you are afraid of taking a stand even when convienced because you have no stand(there is God and there is no God), you are full of crazy doubt and they have over shadowed any reasonable doubt left in you(there is no prove for crazy doubt), you are consistently fighting with your conscience. Because of what your brain ask you to imagine,
You are being speculative on most issues,your post are after thoughts and do not represent your through position on the existence of a God.
grin grin
Religitards, when will you ever learn?
See the definition of "if"

/if/
conjunction
1. introducing a conditional clause.
2. despite the possibility that; no matter whether.
3. (often used in indirect questions) whether.
4. expressing a polite request.
5. expressing an opinion.
6. expressing surprise or regret.
7. with implied reservation.
noun
a condition or supposition.
Go back to your goat herding and hallelujahs and don't quote me again.

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by urheme: 9:26am On Jul 05, 2014
The.Big.Urban:

Please, dont mind the atheists

Check out this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/1799940/willy-wonka-tackles-god-funniest

For goodness sake why did you direct me to that stupid thread of yours.
This is distraction and am not in the mode for religious academic exercise. Am even trying to get out of here
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by TheBigUrban2: 9:31am On Jul 05, 2014
urheme:

For goodness sake why did you direct me to that stupid thread of yours.
This is distraction and am not in the mode for religious academic exercise. Am even trying to get out of here

<<<
move along
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by urheme: 9:33am On Jul 05, 2014
Apatheist:
grin grin
Religitards, when will you ever learn?
See the definition of "if"

Go back to your goat herding and hallelujahs and don't quote me again.

Orise!!!

I interpreted the word "if" in the circumstance of your submission because it was not standing alone, abeg your anger is uneccessary, cut it out

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 9:36am On Jul 05, 2014
urheme:

Orise!!!

I interpreted the word "if" in the circumstance of your submission because it was not standind alone, abeg your anger is uneccessary, cut it out
So words have different meanings when they're used by theists?

Anger ke?
I am not angry.
Stop projecting.

Why did you quote me?
Didn't I tell you not to?

Your goats are waiting for you.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by pickabeau1: 10:04am On Jul 05, 2014
Following
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by urheme: 10:22am On Jul 05, 2014
Apatheist:
So words have different meanings when they're used by theists?

Anger ke?
I am not angry.
Stop projecting.

Why did you quote me?
Didn't I tell you not to?

Your goats are waiting for you.

worsd have different meaning depending on how they are used

Flowing from your definition of "if", the interpretations i gave are accurate.

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 10:27am On Jul 05, 2014
urheme:

worsd have different meaning depending on how they are used

Flowing from your definition of "if", the interpretations i gave are accurate.
Whatever.
Tend your goats.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by qstar(m): 11:03am On Jul 05, 2014
toluxa1: Seun , Was it the crashing of your academics or your people's reaction to it? Which one exactly? Maybe you need to hear my own story and how/where God turned out to be Supreme in-spite of my own 'crash'.

I stopped believing because it is crystal-clear that the Universe/God does not care about us. Not because of people's attitude.

You do not confuse coincidence/luck for God. For each time you get lucky, someone else is damned. For Arsenal to win the premiership, 19 other teams are disappointed.

4 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by 5minsmadness: 11:58am On Jul 05, 2014
Martian: I'm not an atheist because I don't have a reason to affirm or deny the existence of mythical creatures.
God or Gods are only found in the myths and legends of cultures, and every god that I've ever heard of is always partial to the culture that worshipped or worship it.

As is well known, the ubiquitous nature of the three desert religions is the result of wars, slavery and colonialism.
After performing the resurrection trick in ancient Israel, Jesus didn't crawl out of another virgin's a$$ in Umuahia and repeat the trick for the Igbos. No! Some europeans had to get the story first, then bring it to Africa at the point of a sword. Likewise, the Europeans didn't know about a God named Chukwu before they met the igbos.

Each story about a god sounds as far fetched as the next, so why place one culture on a pedestal and call their bullshit story factual??

Afterall, Obatala created humans from the mud in Ile-Ife, Yahweh created the first human from mud in the Garden of Eden, Zeus and the Olympians lived on Mt. Olympus, which just happens to be the biggest mountain known to the ancient Greeks.

Why should I consider Yahweh a Jewish myth, Zeus a Greek myth but Obatala has the creator of the world and everything we see?

Why do people take Obatala as a god created in the minds of ancient Yoruba spiritualists and why do people view the Greek gods as creations of clever Greek writers; but Yahweh is not the creation of some ancient Jews??

In my opinion,if there is a being responsible for what we call the universe, that being would be out of the scope of our intellectual abilities. We won't be able to discern its existence unless it makes itself or themselves known.

A pity I arrived on this thread late. However:

Do you know that in Greek mythology Prometheus also made man out of munld while Athena breathed on him to give life. Does it not trouble you that all 'mythology' have basic similarities when it comes to the creation of man? Could it be possible that early on in man's history the truth was simple and well known but as time went on and man traversed the earth and seperated from each other and different languages came up that the story got muddled up in the process. Does similarity here not give a clue that a supernatural being was involved in man's creation? And do you notice how all ultimate supernatural beings have the same characteristic as God almighty?

Second bolded, has it occurred to you that the Almighty entity has tried time and again to make himself known to us, hence the salvation story?

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by qstar(m): 12:20pm On Jul 05, 2014
5minsmadness:

A pity I arrived on this thread late. However:

Do you know that in Greek mythology Prometheus also made man out of munld while Athena breathed on him to give life. Does it not trouble you that all 'mythology' have basic similarities when it comes to the creation of man? Could it be possible that early on in man's history the truth was simple and well known but as time went on and man traversed the earth and seperated from each other and different languages came up that the story got muddled up in the process. Does similarity here not give a clue that a supernatural being was involved in man's creation? And do you notice how all ultimate supernatural beings have the same characteristic as God almighty?

Second bolded, has it occurred to you that the Almighty entity has tried time and again to make himself known to us, hence the salvation story?

See here, list of creation myths.
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_creation_myths

The reason you dismiss others as fables, is the same reason i dismiss yours. For science to accept any, is to throw in the towel.

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by 5minsmadness: 12:48pm On Jul 05, 2014
qstar:

See here, list of creation myths.
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_creation_myths

The reason you dismiss others as fables, is the same reason i dismiss yours. For science to accept any, is to throw in the towel.
Did you read my post?? Who said I'm dismissing other people's story? I'm pointing out the similarity in it!

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by qstar(m): 12:51pm On Jul 05, 2014
5minsmadness:
Did you read my post?? Who said I'm dismissing other people's story? I'm pointing out the similarity in it!

Then you've got to be a polytheist. I am sorry if your position was misunderstood.

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by 5minsmadness: 12:57pm On Jul 05, 2014
qstar:

Then you've got to be a polytheist. I am sorry if your position was misunderstood.

A polytheist believes in many gods right?
Sorry I'm not one.
You seem to have misunderstood my line of reasoning.
What I am saying is, have you considered that Obatala or Chukwu and God almighty are one and the same? Just under different languages?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by qstar(m): 1:08pm On Jul 05, 2014
5minsmadness:

A polytheist believes in many gods right?
Sorry I'm not one.
You seem to have misunderstood my line of reasoning.
What I am saying is, have you considered that Obatala or Chukwu and God almighty are one and the same? Just under different languages?

Stop projecting your thought as though it's one new invention. You are yet to start thinking.

If you believe in a supreme God, it is called "monotheism".
But, you've got to go inside your house and analyse how these gods are one and the same. One, originated life at ile-ife, another in the garden of eden and later had a son, yet another says "Mohammad(pbuh) is His last prophet, etc.

Stop derailing the thread, thought the OP invited atheists.

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by 5minsmadness: 1:44pm On Jul 05, 2014
qstar:

Stop projecting your thought as though it's one new invention. You are yet to start thinking.
Lol. One thing I notice about people like you, you like to answer questions with insults in a bid to get the attention you crave so much. I never said this was a new thought. There is also nothing derogatory if you have not thought of it before.[/quote]

If you believe in a supreme God, it is called "monotheism".
I know what monotheism means. Did it make you feel big to define it for me? smiley

But, you've got to go inside your house and analyse how these gods are one and the same. One, originated life at ile-ife, another in the garden of eden and later had a son,
Once again, unnecessary coarse words. But I understand. You need it to feed your ego. I'll bypass it.

I was talking about the creation story only. A similarity in the creation story shows a similarity in origins. That's what I was trying to point out.
Where is the garden of eden? Does anybody know exactly? Could 'garden of eden' have a different meaning e.g 'point of origin'? Can you conclusively disprove that ile-ife is the garden of eden? Or is it possible that this 'garden' was taken up after the fall of man?

Stop derailing the thread, thought the OP invited atheists.

The interesting thing is that the question wasn't even directed at you. What you did by answering it is called 'minding other people's business'. But I guess you got the attention you needed. Kudos.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by qstar(m): 2:11pm On Jul 05, 2014
5minsmadness:
Lol.

Okay. Thanks
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by ebamma(m): 3:58pm On Jul 05, 2014
God is just a spectator in our lives, he is that superman who just watches as the bad guys hurt us.

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Anuoluwap(m): 3:59pm On Jul 05, 2014
Seun:
Me? No way!

About 14 years ago, I think.

I just decided that I would not give belief the benefit of doubt anymore; I'd only believe if I got some evidence.
What got me to that point is the crashing of my academics, and the way my spirit-filled brethren reacted to it.
if that's the reason you stopped believing then I think you weren't strong enough. For the followers of Jesus shall be tested and those that are strong shall be called sons of God. What happened to you has happened to many and it'll not stop happening but to stand still in christ is so rewarding. When money comes people often turn their back on their creator because they believe money solves all their problem and nothing like spirituality. There's God o!

2 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by ebamma(m): 4:02pm On Jul 05, 2014
Anuoluwap:
if that's the reason you stopped believing then I think you weren't strong enough. For the followers of Jesus shall be tested and those that are strong shall be called sons of God. What happened to you has happened to many and it'll not stop happening but to stand still in christ is so rewarding. When money comes people often turn their back on their creator because they believe money solves all their problem and nothing like spirituality. There's God o!
money ke?,
i see many millionaires who drive their range rover to church every sunday,
believing or disbelieving in God has nothing to do with wealth or lack of it, its a personal decision

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? / Christian Man Converts To Islam In Borno State, Calls Himself Abubakar / Bishop Oyedepo Fires Back At Erelu Agbaye, Says Allegation Of Occultism Amounts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.