Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,728 members, 7,816,992 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:25 PM

Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. (23486 Views)

Let's Discuss About Indecent Dressing To Church / Atheists Come In Here Quickly...photo! / Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Anuoluwap(m): 4:03pm On Jul 05, 2014
rationalmind:

Read up on cold reading.

Good thing is, it's what you can also do with good practice.
how many have you done?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Anuoluwap(m): 4:05pm On Jul 05, 2014
ebamma: money ke?,
i see many millionaires who drive their range rover to church every sunday,
believing or disbelieving in God has nothing to do with wealth or lack of it, its a personal decision
na so, not everytime but most time. Money is evil bro.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by ebamma(m): 4:08pm On Jul 05, 2014
Anuoluwap: na so, not everytime but most time. Money is evil bro.
then what are u looking for keeping an 8am-4pm job?
Or a u the devil?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Anuoluwap(m): 4:13pm On Jul 05, 2014
ebamma: then what are u looking for keeping an 8am-4pm job?
Or a u the devil?
e don dey show for your face self sey you like money
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 05, 2014
ebamma: God is just a spectator in our lives, he is that superman who just watches as the bad guys hurt us.
So... Deism?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by qstar(m): 4:37pm On Jul 05, 2014
Anuoluwap:
There's God o!

If this was so existent as religionists make it out to be, we wouldn't have been here debating it. Why are we not debating "the moon"?

God conviction starts and ends in your mind. Everybody cannot believe what you believe.

7 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by ebamma(m): 5:52pm On Jul 05, 2014
Apatheist:
So... Deism?
no deist, just trying to describe God
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jul 05, 2014
ebamma: no deist, just trying to describe God
OK.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Anuoluwap(m): 7:22pm On Jul 05, 2014
qstar:

If this was so existent as religionists make it out to be, we wouldn't have been here debating it. Why are we not debating "the moon"?

God conviction starts and ends in your mind. Everybody cannot believe what you believe.
na so. You think sey the moon na film trick? Abi the sun just dey appear like ghost? No worry shebi we go both die one day na dat time we go see the truth. No need to argue.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by qstar(m): 7:26pm On Jul 05, 2014
Anuoluwap: na so. You think sey the moon na film trick? Abi the sun just dey appear like ghost? No worry shebi we go both die one day na dat time we go see the truth. No need to argue.

After death, you go come dey see, ehn?

2 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Anuoluwap(m): 7:31pm On Jul 05, 2014
qstar:

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Anuoluwap(m): 7:31pm On Jul 05, 2014
qstar:

no worry na. Time go tell

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by plaetton: 7:36pm On Jul 05, 2014
Martian: I'm not an atheist because I don't have a reason to affirm or deny the existence of mythical creatures.
God or Gods are only found in the myths and legends of cultures, and every god that I've ever heard of is always partial to the culture that worshipped or worship it.

As is well known, the ubiquitous nature of the three desert religions is the result of wars, slavery and colonialism.
After performing the resurrection trick in ancient Israel, Jesus didn't crawl out of another virgin's a$$ in Umuahia and repeat the trick for the Igbos. No! Some europeans had to get the story first, then bring it to Africa at the point of a sword. Likewise, the Europeans didn't know about a God named Chukwu before they met the igbos.

Each story about a god sounds as far fetched as the next, so why place one culture on a pedestal and call their bullshit story factual??

Afterall, Obatala created humans from the mud in Ile-Ife, Yahweh created the first human from mud in the Garden of Eden, Zeus and the Olympians lived on Mt. Olympus, which just happens to be the biggest mountain known to the ancient Greeks.

Why should I consider Yahweh a Jewish myth, Zeus a Greek myth but Obatala has the creator of the world and everything we see?

Why do people take Obatala as a god created in the minds of ancient Yoruba spiritualists and why do people view the Greek gods as creations of clever Greek writers; but Yahweh is not the creation of some ancient Jews??

In my opinion,if there is a being responsible for what we call the universe, that being would be out of the scope of our intellectual abilities. We won't be able to discern its existence unless it makes itself or themselves known.

Great answer.
Let me add that even if there is a being responsible for what we call universe, the bigger and next question would still be who created the being, considering, as the op and most people have asserted that something( in this case the being) cannot come from nothing, and that whatever exists must have a creator.

Therefore, the existence of god would contradict his very existence.

6 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by qstar(m): 7:41pm On Jul 05, 2014
Anuoluwap: no worry na. Time go tell

You are on a long thing.

It is so pitiful that you must die first, before you'll get to the time

What a waste of brain!

2 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jul 05, 2014
Apatheist:
My username is censored?

Lol. Just didn't want to bother your mention button.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by macof(m): 11:16pm On Jul 05, 2014
plaetton:

Great answer.
Let me add that even if there is a being responsible for what we call universe, the bigger and next question would still be who created the being, considering, as the op and most people have asserted that something( in this case the being) cannot come from nothing, and that whatever exists must have a creator.

Therefore, the existence of god would contradict his very existence.
@martian
In addition, let me also point out that God/Gods (as in ancient spiritualities not Abrahamic religions) are personified characters based on the people's knowledge and understanding of the universe.

So the greeks would have a different God representing the same force as an Igbo God
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 11:53pm On Jul 05, 2014
JerryBerry:

Lol. Just didn't want to bother your mention button.
oh. ok
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jul 05, 2014
5minsmadness:
A pity I arrived on this thread late. However:
Do you know that in Greek mythology Prometheus also made man out of munld while Athena breathed on him to give life. Does it not trouble you that all 'mythology' have basic similarities when it comes to the creation of man?

No I'm not troubled because it's not "all mythology" that have the mud aspect. If you look at Art, the earliest forms we have evidence for are either drawings or molded sculptures. So we can deduce that people in different cultures gave their ability to create molded sculptures to the deities they created. Hence, god made people out of mud just like people made things out of mud.

5minsmadness: Could it be possible that early on in man's history the truth was simple and well known but as time went on and man traversed the earth and seperated from each other and different languages came up that the story got muddled up in the process.

What truth was well known? Besides, not all cultures have mud people stories.
http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/CS/CSIndex.html

5minsmadness: Does similarity here not give a clue that a supernatural being was involved in man's creation? And do you notice how all ultimate supernatural beings have the same characteristic as God almighty?

What is "God Almighty"? Does it have the same characteristics as The Great Leprechaun?

5minsmadness: Second bolded, has it occurred to you that the Almighty entity has tried time and again to make himself known to us, hence the salvation story?

Well, this "Almighty" guy can get on Youtube, Faceboook, Twitter, Instagram, CNN, FOX News. Al Jazeera, CCCN, C-SPAN, NTA, AIT, MSNBC, ESPN,,...............................MySpace. etc and make himself known.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by 5minsmadness: 12:36am On Jul 06, 2014
Martian:

No I'm not troubled because it's not "all mythology" that have the mud aspect. If you look at Art, the earliest forms we have evidence for are either drawings or molded sculptures. So we can deduce that people in different cultures gave their ability to create molded sculptures to the deities they created. Hence, god made people out of mud just like people made things out of mud.
Wait, what? This your analogy makes no sense. Why didnt they just say people came out of the water or a great beast birthed them? Why the mud and the breathing of life?

What truth was well known? Besides, not all cultures have mud people stories.
http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/CS/CSIndex.html

So I clicked your link and looked through some but not all of the topics at random as there were too many. Earth, mud, land, rock, they all point to the same thing. Can't you see the similarity? Why didn't someone make man from water? Or air? There is a similarity in the creation story concerning man, (not the gods) no matter how bizzaire other parts of the story gets. Unless you deliberately don't want to see it.

What is "God Almighty"? Does it have the same characteristics as The Great Leprechaun?
And what do you know is "The Great Leprechaun?" If such a thing existed wouldn't it have beenemtioned in man's history? Can't you see such examples are given by atheist bodies to ridicule the idea of a supernatural being solely and so shouldn't be taken seriously?

Well, this "Almighty" guy can get on Youtube, Faceboook, Twitter, Instagram, CNN, FOX News. Al Jazeera, CCCN, C-SPAN, NTA, AIT, MSNBC, ESPN,,...............................MySpace. etc and make himself known.

And then what? You'll come on your knees to worship him if he does that? I doubt it. You'll probably go on about how its a hoax and how the Americans have devised a means to brainwash the masses. Besides God tried numerous times in the past to communicate directly with man, man simply goes 'wow' and then forgets after some time.

All religion, although diverse, have a common similarity. There is a God. That God may have demigods under him or send out emmissaires or have a Son but it still remains that there is a God. The last major spiritual upheaval is God sending his Son to die so that you can inherit eternal life in heaven. You don't need to do anything extra special like the Jews or Buddhists or Pagans. No need for any special atonement. Just believe in the salvation of God's son and be saved. So simple. Yet so difficult to follow for so many. Personally I think God has tried and if He has decided to leave us to rot in our ways I won't blame Him one bit. The bible actually warns that days like these will come when there will be a loss of faith on earth and people will be full of themselves, beat their chests and say 'there is no god.' and that the faithful should beware of those days.

I don't intend to preach or convert you to the Christian faith. I think most atheists on this forum are not angry at God per se, how can they be angry at someone they don't believe even exists smiley. I think they are angry at the behaviour of Christians they have come across at one point or the other in their lives, or because they prayed for something and didn't get it. Is that disappointment really enough to risk your soul for?

In your search for truth through science, remember to keep an eye out for things that science cannot explain. Try not to build on science so much as it tends to shift like the wind with new evidence. Be mad at Christians and pentecostal zealots with their fire and brimstone judgmental, holier-than-thou attitude but give God himself a chance by keeping your mind open to possibilities.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 1:07am On Jul 06, 2014
Interesting discussion. Following
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 1:08am On Jul 06, 2014
EnlightenedSoul: Interesting discussion. Following
Thought you said you were gon' leave NL?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 1:09am On Jul 06, 2014
in the Bantu thread.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 1:11am On Jul 06, 2014
Apatheist:
in the Bantu thread.

Yh, what's your deal?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 1:18am On Jul 06, 2014
Are you atheist?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 1:19am On Jul 06, 2014
5minsmadness:
Wait, what? This your analogy makes no sense. Why didnt they just say people came out of the water or a great beast birthed them? Why the mud and the breathing of life?

So I clicked your link and looked through some but not all of the topics at random as there were too many. Earth, mud, land, rock, they all point to the same thing. Can't you see the similarity? Why didn't someone make man from water? Or air? There is a similarity in the creation story concerning man, (not the gods) no matter how bizzaire other parts of the story gets. Unless you deliberately don't want to see it.

And what do you know is "The Great Leprechaun?" If such a thing existed wouldn't it have beenemtioned in man's history? Can't you see such examples are given by atheist bodies to ridicule the idea of a supernatural being solely and so shouldn't be taken seriously?

And then what? You'll come on your knees to worship him if he does that? I doubt it. You'll probably go on about how its a hoax and how the Americans have devised a means to brainwash the masses. Besides God tried numerous times in the past to communicate directly with man, man simply goes 'wow' and then forgets after some time.

All religion, although diverse, have a common similarity. There is a God. That God may have demigods under him or send out emmissaires or have a Son but it still remains that there is a God. The last major spiritual upheaval is God sending his Son to die so that you can inherit eternal life in heaven. You don't need to do anything extra special like the Jews or Buddhists or Pagans. No need for any special atonement. Just believe in the salvation of God's son and be saved. So simple. Yet so difficult to follow for so many. Personally I think God has tried and if He has decided to leave us to rot in our ways I won't blame Him one bit. The bible actually warns that days like these will come when there will be a loss of faith on earth and people will be full of themselves, beat their chests and say 'there is no god.' and that the faithful should beware of those days.

I don't intend to preach or convert you to the Christian faith. I think most atheists on this forum are not angry at God per se, how can they be angry at someone they don't believe even exists smiley. I think they are angry at the behaviour of Christians they have come across at one point or the other in their lives, or because they prayed for something and didn't get it. Is that disappointment really enough to risk your soul for?

In your search for truth through science, remember to keep an eye out for things that science cannot explain. Try not to build on science so much as it tends to shift like the wind with new evidence. Be mad at Christians and pentecostal zealots with their fire and brimstone judgmental, holier-than-thou attitude but give God himself a chance by keeping your mind open to possibilities.

Haughty apologist!
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 1:41am On Jul 06, 2014
cococandy: Are you atheist?

Religions are interesting to me, though none have inspired my "faith" so far. I come from a Muslim family, but I don't practice.

I have agnostic leanings. What I lack is conviction.

Still figuring it out.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 1:43am On Jul 06, 2014
I understand.
I know some people who are like that too but not brave enough to speak openly about it.
EnlightenedSoul:

Religions are interesting to me, though none have inspired my "faith" so far. I come from a Muslim family, but I don't practice.

I have agnostic leanings. What I lack is conviction.

Still figuring it out.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 1:45am On Jul 06, 2014
cococandy: I understand.
I know some people who are like that too but not brave enough to speak openly about it.

I'm honest with myself. I have to be.

You're the same?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by 5minsmadness: 2:46am On Jul 06, 2014
JerryBerry:

Haughty apologist!

Assuming antagonist!
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 7:47am On Jul 06, 2014
5minsmadness:
Assuming antagonist!

From your username and your posts, it is observable that you are a pyschopath. Yes! You can continue your campaign of exchange of bovine tantrums in the "family section", you mustn't extend it to the "religion section".

CLUELESS APOLOGIST

Go, tell your deity that you've failed.

4 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 06, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

Yh, what's your deal?
Nothing. Thought I'd never see you again.

It's good to see you again. smiley
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 9:13am On Jul 06, 2014
Yes I'm honest with my self.
I believe in God. I'm christain because I was born one and I like Jesus' teachings.
But I don't honestly believe that all others are condemned to hell because they are not christains.
I don't know what to make of that. But I try to understand other people's religions too whenever I come across them.
EnlightenedSoul:

I'm honest with myself. I have to be.

You're the same?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Pastor Penuel Mnguni Feeds Congregation With Dog And Frog Meat To Heal HIV / Joshua Iginla Visits Manger Where Jesus Was Wrapped & Kept After Delivery (Photo / What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.