Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,925 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:20 PM

Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. (23485 Views)

Let's Discuss About Indecent Dressing To Church / Atheists Come In Here Quickly...photo! / Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by 5minsmadness: 9:19am On Jul 06, 2014
JerryBerry:

From your username and your posts, it is observable that you are a pyschopath. Yes! You can continue your campaign of exchange of bovine tantrums in the "family section", you mustn't extend it to the "religion section".

CLUELESS APOLOGIST

Go, tell your deity that you've failed.

As usual, when you guys have nothing intelligent to say you resort to insults and emotional provocation to dissuade further discussion smiley. If you were an older member of nairaland you would have realised I started my habitation in nairaland on the "religious section" until most of the intelligent atheists left. What remains now apart from a few intellectuals are people like you.SMH at atheism.

You claim you are not an atheist but your posts indicate otherwise.

Failed in what? I have nothing to lose. It is you who has no proper belief system, you who are governed by the physical and nothing more, you who subscribe to the limited halls of man's knowledge. You who live your life rudderless, without an anchor, being swept by whichever wind blows in this vast ocean of the unknown we call existence.

It is you who has failed.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 9:24am On Jul 06, 2014
cococandy: Yes I'm honest with my self.
I believe in God. I'm christain because I was born one and I like Jesus' teachings.
But I don't honestly believe that all others are condemned to hell because they are not christains.
I don't know what to make of that. But I try to understand other people's religions too whenever I come across them.
smiley

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by BraveGuy: 11:14am On Jul 06, 2014
Well, either we believe it or not, it won't change the judgements of God, He has it WRITTEN....

John 5:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

John 5:29
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Mat 25:41
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

You have to ask yourself, what punishment is PREPARED for the devil and his angels?
When you get your answer, the same awaits the disobedient and those who have willingly rejected Him as their Saviour.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by highmey(m): 11:40am On Jul 06, 2014
Hmmm...

From my observations so far, most people are in religion (especially xtians and Muslims) cos:
1. They were born into the religion.
2. They are scared of been sent to hell.
3. They have no idea of what awaits them after death.

I'm very sure, if men lives for ever, no one will be religious.

Following this thread, it's so educative! smiley

3 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 11:46am On Jul 06, 2014
highmey:
Hmmm...

From my observations so far, most people are in religion (especially xtians and Muslims) cos:

Exactly!
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by kayustones: 12:08pm On Jul 06, 2014
It is because of God's mercy that you atheists are still alive.
Even if you say that there is no God at least the occurrence of supernatural things like charm and sorts should give you an inkling that there is a realm beyond what you see. It won't be wise to ignore or deny a fact simply because you can't explain it.
Don't wait till science and other things you put your trust on fail you before you humble yourself and confess openly that there is a God

2 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:13pm On Jul 06, 2014
kayustones: It is because of God's mercy that you atheists are still alive.
Even if you say that there is no God at least the occurrence of supernatural things like charm and sorts should give you an inkling that there is a realm beyond what you see. It won't be wise to ignore or deny a fact simply because you can't explain it.
Don't wait till science and other things you put your trust on fail you before you humble yourself and confess openly that there is a God

what more can I say to the bold, well truth but does not rule out the existence of a God as you think he/she is but thus prove the existence of God as natural forces and elements personified.

One thing both atheist and theist still find hard to do is defining what God is. It seem both tends to see God from the literal depiction of Abrahamic faith failing to look far away into spitiualism that birth science and religion.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by 5minsmadness: 12:42pm On Jul 06, 2014
highmey:
Hmmm...

Good observation!
May I also add one more point although minor...

4. They truly love God for who he is and what He stands for.

These group worship God out of appreciation and not fear. They don't pray to ask God for what he can do for them, rather they pray to thank Him for what he has already done. This group does not love God on condition that he does or does not do something, they love Him unconditionally whether they suffer for it or not.

However they are in the gross minority especially in a country like ours. Then again its not surprising. Even the Bible says that 'wide is the way that leads to destruction.' Being a true christian has always been difficult and challenging. Ask the apostles and early disciples.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jul 06, 2014
Deep Sight. cheesy
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jul 06, 2014
5minsmadness:
Wait, what? This your analogy makes no sense. Why didnt they just say people came out of the water or a great beast birthed them? Why the mud and the breathing of life?

The quran says that allah created humans from water and it's likely that a search will reveal a culture that has a story of a great beast birthing humans.
Since living humans breathe and dead humans don't, the primitive humans in these cultures probably gave their god the ability to "breathe life" into a non living thing. I already gave my opinion about the mud.

5minsmadness: So I clicked your link and looked through some but not all of the topics at random as there were too many. Earth, mud, land, rock, they all point to the same thing. Can't you see the similarity? Why didn't someone make man from water? Or air? There is a similarity in the creation story concerning man, (not the gods) no matter how bizzaire other parts of the story gets. Unless you deliberately don't want to see it.

The similarity in the stories is probably because the scope of knowledge possessed by these cultures were the same at that stage of human development.The similarity that points to their falsity is the fact that they are all partial to the culture that has them in their stories.

These gods do the same things people have the ability to do; the only thing that separates them from the people that create them is the use of adjectives like supernatural, almighty, omnipotent, etc.

5minsmadness: And what do you know is "The Great Leprechaun?" If such a thing existed wouldn't it have beenemtioned in man's history? Can't you see such examples are given by atheist bodies to ridicule the idea of a supernatural being solely and so shouldn't be taken seriously?

The Great Leprechaun created humans on in each quadrant of the space of creation. We live in the 2nd quadrant of space and when the Almighty Great Leprechaun created us, he used mud to mold, fire to bake and water to clean...................................and that's why we take showers. Do you take it serious now or do I have to make up some rules and get a congregation?

5minsmadness: And then what? You'll come on your knees to worship him if he does that? I doubt it. You'll probably go on about how its a hoax and how the Americans have devised a means to brainwash the masses. Besides God tried numerous times in the past to communicate directly with man, man simply goes 'wow' and then forgets after some time.

Let him make himself known first; we will talk about my reaction afterwards.

5minsmadness: All religion, although diverse, have a common similarity. There is a God. That God may have demigods under him or send out emmissaires or have a Son but it still remains that there is a God. The last major spiritual upheaval is God sending his Son to die so that you can inherit eternal life in heaven. You don't need to do anything extra special like the Jews or Buddhists or Pagans. No need for any special atonement. Just believe in the salvation of God's son and be saved. So simple. Yet so difficult to follow for so many. Personally I think God has tried and if He has decided to leave us to rot in our ways I won't blame Him one bit. The bible actually warns that days like these will come when there will be a loss of faith on earth and people will be full of themselves, beat their chests and say 'there is no god.' and that the faithful should beware of those days.

I don't intend to preach or convert you to the Christian faith.

smiley, you don't intend to preach?? You don't say!!!!!
The day I see a Jew sh!t gold, sprout wings and fly is the day I'll believe that their c.ock and bull story has anything to do with reality. So don;t worry, you can never convert me to christianity.

5minsmadness: I think most atheists on this forum are not angry at God per se, how can they be angry at someone they don't believe even exists smiley. I think they are angry at the behaviour of Christians they have come across at one point or the other in their lives, or because they prayed for something and didn't get it. Is that disappointment really enough to risk your soul for?

I can't speak for atheists and their "anger at God". I don't know if the disappointment is really enough to risk their souls for.
I know I don't have a soul because I sold it for $200 and a spot of yam porridge.

5minsmadness: In your search for truth through science, remember to keep an eye out for things that science cannot explain. Try not to build on science so much as it tends to shift like the wind with new evidence. Be mad at Christians and pentecostal zealots with their fire and brimstone judgmental, holier-than-thou attitude but give God himself a chance by keeping your mind open to possibilities.

Science cannot explain The Great Leprechaun.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 06, 2014
Apatheist: Deep Sight. cheesy

@5minsmadness.

Deep Sight is a classic example of a person creating a god. His opinion of what God is like is always changing, but what is consistent is that his God always has human atrtibutes that Deep Sight adds adjectives to. His God is "extra" physical, it's the "Ultimate" mind etc.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by BraveGuy: 1:16pm On Jul 06, 2014
[size=14pt]You know, as I mentioned earlier, it doesn't matter if we accept or refuse the realities of Hell and eternal damnation, what has been WRITTEN by God has been written and will take place; it is there just for us to take heed and also FEAR (complete holy reverence).[/size]

Let us cite a few references as to The Biblical Realities of the Judgment of Hell!

Matthew 8:12 "But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth".
Matthew 10:28 "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell".
Matthew 13:42 "And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth".

Matthew 18:9 "And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire".
Matthew 22:13 "Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth".

Matthew 23:33 "Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?".

Matthew 25:41 "Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:".
Matthew 25:46 "And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal".

Mark 9:43 "And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:".
Mark 9:44 "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched".
Mark 9:45 "And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:".

Mark 12:40 "Which devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayers: these shall receive greater damnation".
Luke 12:5 "But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him".
Luke 16:23 "And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom".
Luke 16:24 "And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame".
Luke 16:25 "But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented".
Luke 16:28 "For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment".

Revelation 14:11
"And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name".

HELL is REAL, whatever interpretations we want to give it, it is a place of eternal torment.

Do we remember that a few decades ago, America created a place called Alcatraz? So, we think God is not capable of creating a STRONGER and BIGGER Alcatraz for the punishment of those who flouted His laws?

[size=14pt]Would it not be an UNJUST GOD who would say it is okay for the UNREPENTANT PAEDOPHILE or MURDERER to live in the same HEAVEN (whatever that place means) as those who accepted His Grace and REPENTED from their sins?[/size]
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jul 06, 2014
Martian:

@5minsmadness.

Deep Sight is a classic example of a person creating a god. His opinion of what God is like is always changing, but what is consistent is that his God always has human attibutes that Deep Sight adds adjective too. His God is "extra" physical, it's the "Ultimate" mind etc.
I thought Deep Sight was at least agnostic.
he doesn't type like a theist.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jul 06, 2014
Apatheist:
I thought Deep Sight was at least agnostic.
he doesn't type like a theist.

It's a deep sight concoction of christianity, buddhism and myticism.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jul 06, 2014
Martian:

It's a deep sight concoction of Christianity, Buddhism and mysticism.
Peculiar.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jul 06, 2014
5minsmadness:

You claim you are not an atheist but your posts indicate otherwise.

Ever heard of apatheistic agnosticism?

Pls, forgive my hurts. Peace.

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by krayzieklay(m): 2:03pm On Jul 06, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

Religions are interesting to me, though none have inspired my "faith" so far. I come from a Muslim family, but I don't practice.

I have agnostic leanings. What I lack is conviction.

Still figuring it out.
Same here... But on the conviction part,I've already done that,just don't know how to tell my peeps esp my mum. She's gonna go berserk.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jul 06, 2014
krayzieklay: Same here... But on the conviction part,I've already done that,just don't know how to tell my peeps esp my mum. She's gonna go berserk.
Atheist?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by 5minsmadness: 4:56pm On Jul 06, 2014
@martian, lol , you actually got me browsing the Great leprechaun. Hahhahhaha. Are you AManFromMars?

I gave up trying to convince atheists a long time ago. Truth is no matter how loud we shout, no matter how long we argue, atheists have nothing to lose because they dont believe in anything. nobody knows everything and most people are governed by their experiences and beliefs. Some are going to be saved on the last day and others arent. Its not a threat of fire and brimstone. It is a fact.

I for one, do not push other mythologies aside as fairy tales for my own personal reasons and can see the similarity in them pointing to one unique being or entity. Maybe my exposure early on to other religions in the form of books has led to this.

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cheguevera: 4:58pm On Jul 06, 2014
RELIGION IS JUST A METHOD OF KEEPING WIMPS AND SISSIES IN LINE

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by krayzieklay(m): 5:18pm On Jul 06, 2014
Apatheist:
Atheist?
Agnostic sir. But on the verge of becoming an Atheist.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jul 06, 2014
krayzieklay: Agnostic sir. But on the verge of becoming an Atheist.
Good luck-- not Jonathan, tho cheesy

Hopefully your parents wont disown you and or send you to different churches for "exorcism"
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jul 06, 2014
krayzieklay: Same here... But on the conviction part,I've already done that,just don't know how to tell my peeps esp my mum. She's gonna go berserk.

My parents have a "you'll come around" attitude and attribute it to being "young", and therefore "blind", since they weren't into religion when they were my age either, particularly my father.

Maybe you should employ a gradual approach. My mother knew not because I'd told her but because she'd noticed, gradually, that I wasn't doing this or that, and asked. Then she told my father lol That's basically how the discussion started smiley
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
Apatheist:
Nothing. Thought I'd never see you again.

It's good to see you again. smiley

I went on a trip/took a break from NL, and I came back to an almost empty slate. I figure I'll just avoid certain personalities smiley

Good to see you too.

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Weah96: 6:17pm On Jul 06, 2014
cococandy: I'm christain because I was born one and I like Jesus' teachings.
But I don't honestly believe that all others are condemned to hell because they are not christains.
I don't know what to make of that.

So you're not a Christian. The Jesus in your head is not the same one described in the bible. The biblical version clearly says that salvation can only come through him. That's the whole point of Christian ministry, winning souls for Jesus. There wouldn't be any need for preachers or evangelists if non Christians were not headed for hellfire. If you don't accept that doctrine, then pick another religion, Jesus is not your guy. I'm dying to know who you've been praying to this whole time you didn't believe in Jesus. SMH.

5 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 6:36pm On Jul 06, 2014
Why are you angry?
Weah96:

So you're not a Christian. The Jesus in your head is not the same one described in the bible. The biblical version clearly says that salvation can only come through him. That's the whole point of Christian ministry, winning souls for Jesus. There wouldn't be any need for preachers or evangelists if non Christians were not headed for hellfire. If you don't accept that doctrine, then pick another religion, Jesus is not your guy. I'm dying to know who you've been praying to this whole time you didn't believe in Jesus. SMH.

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 06, 2014
cococandy: Why are you angry?
He was being sarcastic. He's atheist.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Weah96: 6:49pm On Jul 06, 2014
cococandy: Why are you angry?

I'm not actually. You seem to be a reasonable person. The fact that you question Jesus teachings on hell is proof that you're not completely in the fog. It doesn't matter if you call yourself a Christian or not. We're both Christians if your position is permissible in the faith. I just believe in the Jesus who stays out of human affairs, which is not the biblical one, just like yours.

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by krayzieklay(m): 7:03pm On Jul 06, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

My parents have a "you'll come around" attitude and attribute it to being "young", and therefore "blind", since they weren't into religion when they were my age either, particularly my father.

Maybe you should employ a gradual approach. My mother knew not because I'd told her but because she'd noticed, gradually, that I wasn't doing this or that, and asked. Then she told my father lol That's basically how the discussion started smiley

Well,I will but not now... The thing is; my parents know dat I'm not a religious person right from when they forced me to go for Arabic/islamic lessons during my teenage days. But like u rightly stated,they may attribute it to being young,blind and stuffs.. O.k,now I'm in my twenties, and its still d same stubborn,blind boy(according to them) . I really don't av probs with pops tho coz we don't get along... How to tell my mum iz d hurdle I need to scale through..

So wat was their reaction when u opened up?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by krayzieklay(m): 7:11pm On Jul 06, 2014
Apatheist:
Good luck-- not Jonathan, tho cheesy

Hopefully your parents wont disown you and or send you to different churches for "exorcism"
cheesy It's better than taking me to sambisa forest. @least,I will convert dem so called exorcists.. lol. Thanx.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Weah96: 7:11pm On Jul 06, 2014
krayzieklay: Well,I will but not now... The thing is; my parents know dat I'm not a religious person right from when they forced me to go for Arabic/islamic lessons during my teenage days. But like u rightly stated,they may attribute it to being young,blind and stuffs.. O.k,now I'm in my twenties, and its still d same stubborn,blind boy(according to them) . I really don't av probs with pops tho coz we don't get along... How to tell my mum iz d hurdle I need to scale through..

All truths must not be told. If my mother knew some of the things I did to the ladies in bed, she could easily disown me. So I keep that truth away from her, along with my beliefs.

So wat was their reaction when u opened up?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by krayzieklay(m): 7:41pm On Jul 06, 2014
[quote author=Weah96][/quote] lol.. U just av to tell her.. Because, one day she's gonna ask u..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Pastor Penuel Mnguni Feeds Congregation With Dog And Frog Meat To Heal HIV / Joshua Iginla Visits Manger Where Jesus Was Wrapped & Kept After Delivery (Photo / What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.