Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,744 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) (36185 Views)

About To Fly To North Cyprus / North Cyprus / The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jul 08, 2014
Winter, summer, dry season, raining season. Good experience
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by italent101: 9:00pm On Jul 08, 2014
more updates....
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Soldierboy30(m): 8:46am On Jul 09, 2014
Op I just came across your page 4days ago.. Since den I dey follow like juju on ghost mode. Have learnt alort from your experience as I plan on coming to EUL for studies some time next year dow... I still dey face some financial issues. I enjoy your right up pass food but I gat eat to stay alive so I go join u again after my last bite.
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jul 09, 2014
Where thou art?
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jul 10, 2014
I'm so sorry for not updating for the past 24hours, I've been somewhat lazy to grab my computer, avoiding to use my phone so as to create back up. They are all excuse for laziness, I'm back and better though.
Special appreciation to y'all that supports and follow mybthread, thanks once again.
Still on the summer experience, it's almost a four month break so it's full of activities. This post will focus more ontge relationship/ dating life on the island.
I disconnected from every relationship whatsoever that I had in Nigeria before and some shortly after leaving, not because I had the notion of coming abroad to marry oyinbo or get a better life, it was solely because I want to be focused, with no external distractions whatsoever. It worked to some extent as I don't have a reason to buy international call cards making call often, no where are you coming back question' there is nothing like 'i miss you baby, I need you to come home soon' I became a one man army, no feelings or emotional break down. With no emotional attachment life is even difficult! Don't get me wrong, please its my opinion and it worked for me to some extent.
Yea! It's a boring island, life becomes more boring by the day, there are places for attraction but bShebi Na person wey chop go get transport go to visit those place' I'm an international student don't forget! Few months later, I became disconnected with my friends, families back home, less friends here, even those that seems like friends here do more of face your business. It was becoming lonely but I'm too hard hearted to admit it.
The usual news/ orientation for every new student from the old student is 'konji ko kill you, all this beautiful turkish girls no dey talk to vlack' some will say ' see me as I dey like this I never touch woman for years' another will add 'dont mind them if you have your money, you will go to those night pubs to enjoy sex as huge as your pocket is' i asked how much as I already gave up hope and that seems the best option they said it depends but ranges between 120usd till infinity depends on the package. Inside my mind I was like I don die!
My roomie never gave in, he was trying to talk with the turkish girls, he seems determined from Nigeria

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jul 10, 2014
Yea he was determined and focused on that, like he have it planned out before leaving Nigeria, looking like he wanted it all cost .. just kidding though .. But trust me, he was really focused, I wanted one too though but I already got discouraged and was looking for another way out. He learnt few words in Turkish for basic convos. He keep saying 'Merhaba' when he sees any beautiful lady (Truth be told, Turkish girls are beautiful! Maybe after Russia, Brazil they are one of the most beautiful in the world.) Some will smile back, or even reply back but most will snub and even find a way to avoid you if it's on a foot path. That is how bad it gets, I will laugh at him, make him look more stupid, discourage him and tell him to remember what those old student told us, why is he so adamant?
He later stooped moving with me, he must have discovered I'm just one stumbling block, maybe a bad luck in fact. You will always see me with my laptop if I'm not in class reading stories on Nairaland, reading articles, and lots more.. what a boring life! He came back home one day with a bottle of beer, I jumped at it, I barely get the opportunity to quench my thirst with the chilled well brewed beer we got here.. Where will I get the money?
While I was having it, he told me, he met a Turkish girl that understands English, they exchanged number and the girl was so accommodating, I was surprised, the Thomas in me, resurfaced and doubted it.. he showed me the number, even called her asking if she was still around or back home, doubt disappeared. Guy man how you take do am? I kept asking, I asked for one more beer but he refused promising me more if it all goes smoothly. Trust me it went smoothly, they were hanging out for about a week continuously, we kept it secret, the lady wanted it discreet too..
We later discovered,she already had relationship with black dudes and she sure prefers the black anytime any day. They got along but the relationship never went very far, they both enjoyed each other... I was kicked out of the room times without number.
We embraced the internet for the usual internet girlfriend as part of our internet activities .. It never worked for me, one even called me ugly, she added that I should go get a life. Okay! I no dey complain, I felt I should double the hustle, none for the poor boy. (Don't get it twisted, I'm not that ugly, at least to some extent so don't get scared yet) It was the other way for my super star (girls affairs) roomie, it was absolute success as he is married today as a result of that exercise.(I barely get a permission from him, so enough of it) but while the affairs was building he still had a short spell with another new Turkish student, he carried me along, they liked my bushy hair, turning to locks.We barely understand each other, they are new student, and understand no English, the hangout was always boring. I stopped joining them but it still paid off for my friend.Optimism, persistent, social was one of the key to success in that aspect for my roomie.
Like I indicated previously in my previous post before our dear Nairaland kissed the dust, I had a short interesting spell with a Nepalese that was on the Island strictly for work too. How did I meet her? I went out with my boredom partner of course during summer.... He wanted to buy a Nike shoe in nearby city, he promised to buy me a kebab before I agreed to accompany him. At the Kebab shop, he noticed two ladies smiling at us, I was wondering the kind of soap or luck I must have been into hat day, I doubted it... but I later discovered myself that their gaze will not shift a way from us. Sharp Lagos boy, I went straight to them, What? They understands English, I quickly asked where they come from as I suspected they weren't Turks.
We exchanged number, and the rest is history! It was a short spell, we broke up after the summer, she was always working, She told me, it will never work as we both have different plans in life, she gave numerous excuses, she was right but I never want to let go so as not to go back to square 1. well, we eventually did..

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by italent101: 6:11pm On Jul 10, 2014
more updates
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jul 10, 2014
God bless you
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Soldierboy30(m): 7:48pm On Jul 10, 2014
Am done eating o... Too bad I didn't get here b4 d Turkish girl left. Op following bumper to bumper.
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 10, 2014
mctolspell: Academics! Oh! I wish I can type a little faster and much, damn! those hacker's that brought down Nairaland. It sucks to type those things I remember I have done before, it will not make this journal as interesting as I will like. what can a man do? Life goes on... I'm studying Civil Engineering, the little Africans that I met here all belong to the International Relations class. They often advise me to have a change of course before I move too far, some weren't advising but were saying to themselves that he's a new student, when he learns, he will change. Could it be that our academics is that bad in Nigeria or it's extremely difficult?
Oh well, I felt it myself, my first few classes in Calculus were like I was going to an Arabic class, I couldn't understand anything, Mathematics was never my best subject but still our High school education is very bad back home, the other nationals in the class were catching up, even some of my counterparts are finding a way to learn. I was stucked, no idea of what it is till after mid term, I tried to catch up but I was blessed with an 'F', the professor looks like a witch ehn, she no even dey smile at all. After my first semester result, I was wondering what my next step will be, two F's for the two calculation course, Physics was good nd the remaining 3 which is non calculation was good. Chai! Could it be that the cooperative money I came here with will be wasted like that or I will have to join the band wagon to study International relations? No offence to the IR scholars reading.
I had a plan, my dad already made me understand that Engineering my seems hard and difficult but in the long run, you smile more to the bank than other social sciences. well, we had that mentality in my family, we are not the most intelligent but we are one of the most determined, by failing and getting up. If I want a social science course, I would have been a graduate by now, I told myself, I decided to take those courses again and keep moving no matter the challenges, Almost 3 years, I'm still on it.. we are getting there by HIS grace.It was about 12 Nigerians in the Engineering faculty that set, we are less than 3 in that same faculty! You know what that means...
just like me I remembered how difficult it was for me to adjust men I went crazy am studying marine engineering we were 4 Nigerians in my class Na Just me now education in Nigeria is crap especially secondary education I was so hot. here when i wanted. to go to unilag my name came 2nd on the list. person wey talk say him papa farm big make e wait till he see another man papa farm.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by adebasket97: 8:36pm On Jul 10, 2014
@OP glad you're back o..been following ya thread..still on.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by WhyNa: 8:44pm On Jul 10, 2014
I see you bro

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by goldenboyofpsy(m): 8:45pm On Jul 10, 2014
mctolspell: Manweysabi, I will appreciate if you can help me get recover those stuffs, I barely couldn't get his explanation, I tired but it never worked, I will sure love to have the thread back. Congrats Ukicom, thanks whyna, italent101, MichChelsea,Soyedele1. Bless y'all .. site down, relax and enjoy your pop corn.
I will try to be as fast as I can to get to where I stopped.
I stumble on your write up but i must confess av been really blessed.. Pls,am planning doing my MSc abroad thou no school or country yet. Need info about their fees if you will help me out. Leadership&administration is my choice of course.. Am enjoying ur story. I need scholarship too bro cos na scholarship helped me during my undergraduate days.. Thanks.
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by italent101: 8:45pm On Jul 10, 2014
tensazangetsu: just like me I remembered how difficult it was for me to adjust men I went crazy am studying marine engineering we were 4 Nigerians in my class Na Just me now education in Nigeria is crap especially secondary education I was so hot. here when i wanted. to go to unilag my name came 2nd on the list. person wey talk say him papa farm big make e wait till he see another man papa farm.

school name?
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by italent101: 8:47pm On Jul 10, 2014
goldenboyofpsy: I stumble on your write up but i must confess av been really blessed.. Pls,am planning doing my MSc abroad thou no school or country yet. Need info about their fees if you will help me out. Leadership&administration is my choice of course.. Am enjoying ur story. I need scholarship too bro cos na scholarship helped me during my undergraduate days.. Thanks.
what are your criteria
1) list of countries you have in mind
2)what's your financial budget
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by yemmyvince(m): 9:56pm On Jul 10, 2014
Nice one Op
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by ukicom86(m): 10:10pm On Jul 10, 2014
mctolspell: Yea he was determined and focused on that, like he have it planned out before leaving Nigeria, looking like he wanted it all cost .. just kidding though .. But trust me, he was really focused, I wanted one too though but I already got discouraged and was looking for another way out. He learnt few words in Turkish for basic convos. He keep saying 'Merhaba' when he sees any beautiful lady (Truth be told, Turkish girls are beautiful! Maybe after Russia, Brazil they are one of the most beautiful in the world.) Some will smile back, or even reply back but most will snub and even find a way to avoid you if it's on a foot path. That is how bad it gets, I will laugh at him, make him look more stupid, discourage him and tell him to remember what those old student told us, why is he so adamant?
He later stooped moving with me, he must have discovered I'm just one stumbling block, maybe a bad luck in fact. You will always see me with my laptop if I'm not in class reading stories on Nairaland, reading articles, and lots more.. what a boring life! He came back home one day with a bottle of beer, I jumped at it, I barely get the opportunity to quench my thirst with the chilled well brewed beer we got here.. Where will I get the money?
While I was having it, he told me, he met a Turkish girl that understands English, they exchanged number and the girl was so accommodating, I was surprised, the Thomas in me, resurfaced and doubted it.. he showed me the number, even called her asking if she was still around or back home, doubt disappeared. Guy man how you take do am? I kept asking, I asked for one more beer but he refused promising me more if it all goes smoothly. Trust me it went smoothly, they were hanging out for about a week continuously, we kept it secret, the lady wanted it discreet too..
We later discovered,she already had relationship with black dudes and she sure prefers the black anytime any day. They got along but the relationship never went very far, they both enjoyed each other... I was kicked out of the room times without number.
We embraced the internet for the usual internet girlfriend as part of our internet activities .. It never worked for me, one even called me ugly, she added that I should go get a life. Okay! I no dey complain, I felt I should double the hustle, none for the poor boy. (Don't get it twisted, I'm not that ugly, at least to some extent so don't get scared yet) It was the other way for my super star (girls affairs) roomie, it was absolute success as he is married today as a result of that exercise.(I barely get a permission from him, so enough of it) but while the affairs was building he still had a short spell with another new Turkish student, he carried me along, they liked my bushy hair, turning to locks.We barely understand each other, they are new student, and understand no English, the hangout was always boring. I stopped joining them but it still paid off for my friend.Optimism, persistent, social was one of the key to success in that aspect for my roomie.
Like I indicated previously in my previous post before our dear Nairaland kissed the dust, I had a short interesting spell with a Nepalese that was on the Island strictly for work too. How did I meet her? I went out with my boredom partner of course during summer.... He wanted to buy a Nike shoe in nearby city, he promised to buy me a kebab before I agreed to accompany him. At the Kebab shop, he noticed two ladies smiling at us, I was wondering the kind of soap or luck I must have been into hat day, I doubted it... but I later discovered myself that their gaze will not shift a way from us. Sharp Lagos boy, I went straight to them, What? They understands English, I quickly asked where they come from as I suspected they weren't Turks.
We exchanged number, and the rest is history! It was a short spell, we broke up after the summer, she was always working, She told me, it will never work as we both have different plans in life, she gave numerous excuses, she was right but I never want to let go so as not to go back to square 1. well, we eventually did..
Am simply following, Wow!
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by goldenboyofpsy(m): 10:38am On Jul 11, 2014
italent101:
what are your criteria
1) list of countries you have in mind
2)what's your financial budget
to be honest,no specific country in mind. But any country that has good technique and standard in leadership(my MSc discipline) will be my choice outside Africa thou. As for budget,btw 500k ni oo. The money is not yet available self but it will by His grace when things fall in place.
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by italent101: 10:55am On Jul 11, 2014
goldenboyofpsy: to be honest,no specific country in mind. But any country that has good technique and standard in leadership(my MSc discipline) will be my choice outside Africa thou. As for budget,btw 500k ni oo. The money is not yet available self but it will by His grace when things fall in place.
if you like Cyprus its okay
Sir mctolspell and mrwip7 over to you
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by WhyNa: 8:41pm On Jul 11, 2014
@mctospell dis isnt good and its unlike u keeping us waiting for 24 hours. Haba....remember majority of us are waiting for you to get to where U left off before nairaland crashed
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by goldenboyofpsy(m): 3:59am On Jul 12, 2014
italent101:
if you like Cyprus its okay
Sir mctolspell and mrwip7 over to you
i dont mind Cyprus bro.. Just that my choice course is MSc in leadership&administration.. I hope they offer it?
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Soldierboy30(m): 5:07am On Jul 12, 2014
How much will it cost to study business administration in EUI or uni nicosia? Awaiting the diary update. You could make it a book trust me it will sell beyound imaginations.

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Mudley313: 6:01am On Jul 12, 2014
goldenboyofpsy: i dont mind Cyprus bro.. Just that my choice course is MSc in leadership&administration.. I hope they offer it?

abeg make una take this una discussion go another thread

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by ukicom86(m): 8:40am On Jul 12, 2014
Soldierboy30: How much will it cost to study business administration in EUI or uni nicosia? Awaiting the diary update. You could make it a book trust me it will sell beyound imaginations.
I support soldierboy, you should make this a book. I will buy it.
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jul 12, 2014
Laziness sets in for me these days, I even deter from logging on nairaland so as not to see you guys yearning for update on the diary, that is how lazy I can be sometime..One bad side of me! Thanks for the comments, those that are following, I'm sorry to have been moving on a slow pace, I will try as much as possible to stay on the fast lane.
So what happened after she decided to call it off? I went back to square one, boring, no affection nor care from anybody, the little I got from her before it all went off helped my ministry for sometime though. While my friend's (roomie) ministry is blossoming mine was stagnant and surviving on reserves. It's a new semester, my second on the Island. I was determined (in Kanu's accent) to study hard though it was never part of me, and try not to fail any course, I will be retaking two course already. Let it not be that I will b failing them again. If it happens, then I should probably go look for some spiritual help (like it works ..smh).
Trust me, it was so difficult for me that I almost fail those two courses again, I remembered staying in the library for over 24 hours when I was about writing my Calculus finals, I failed the statics again, thank God for the new idea of resit exam by the school. I did the resit and out of about 15 students, just two of us passed the rest still failed. I know people that are offering Statics for the 4th time, my Turkish friend did calculus for the 4th time last semester, I'm sure he didn't scale through. He never gave me good remarks about his ability to cope.
I know you are wondering why it's difficult to cope? things get difficult by the day in my school, your first professor is always better than the next professor teaching that same course, maybe same professor but harder approach. My second stint in Calculus 1 was taught by a professor using slide. It's so weird that I sometimes want to scream in class; can you close your eyes for a second and imagine yourself in a class learning Basic Mathematics with Power point not to talk of Calculus that I never did in Nigeria (atleast those of you wanting to come study here, you better start running.. Lol, just kidding, determination does it, and you won't have to start decorating your transcript with F's and D's). Yea,I have the foundation problem but sometimes too some professor can be frustrating. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the professors are not good but things just get difficult by the day couple with the laziness of the student to study.
For instance, You can never study for exam in some of our departmental courses a week to exam and expect to have a good grade, it's almost impossible, even a genius will not risk a week to exam, of course I have a genius in my class at the moment, it's on a 4 point GP.. Don't ask me yet, he's not Nigerian, we use to tease him that he will run mad soon, he studies even while in toilet.
Yea, we belong to the league of lazy student. My first two semesters was for me to learn the hard way, I felt I can do wuruwuru to the answer but trust me, results were wuruwurued after the semester. Did I tell you about my first experience with the midterm exam?
The Midterm exam comes few weeks after resumption, and it's being conducted for a week, it's for everybody, the atmosphere will indicate something is happening in the school. Those that studied outside of Nigeria will understand, maybe it's beginning to happen in Nigeria as well I wouldn't know. My first weekend to the Midterm wee, I was carrying laptop, browsing and feeling relaxed, someone saw me and asked why am I not studying? Do I know Mid term starts on monday? I told him, it's no biggie, It's just test that you guys frames as midterm examination. He laughed and walk away.
I later understood what he was saying and the hype surrounded by the whole exam prep, It has a lot to do with your final result at the end of the semester, there is little chance of passing a course if you fail the mid term examination, and even if you pass it will probably be with a D. What is the worth of a D? When I was in Yabatech which is believed to be one of the most stressful schools in academics, our D grade was 40, or below, not very sure though. 'D' is the last pass grade here and it's 50 while 'A' is 95 to 100, so when you see someone with a 4 grade point, you should understand he never had an 'B+' which is 90- 85. The midterm takes 40 or sometimes 30 percent of the whole semester course. You do the calculation, how will you even get to a 2 grade point if your midterm results are bad.What you see is what you get here, no abracadabra, no prayer will change your score, maybe prayer will give you strength to study or understand depending on what your believe is, but trust me if you write rubbish or just idea and not concise answers, your result will be rubbished like you put. You need to see scripts and how these guys mark, they expect you to be sure and show you sure do understand what you writing.
No wonder we have so many people here that stopped going to school, not as a result of financial problem but as a result of frustration from failure. I have seen someone studying International Relations for 5 years, another for 6 years. They never dropped out, they kept going, they must have kissed failure times without number. For the fact that they graduated and din't fall out makes them achievers though.
Our High School foundation is bad back home, no doubt about it, we seems to find shortcut to most of our ways and that seems to affect us a lot, our tertiary institutions gives us more unnecessary stress than the useful academic task. I got here and I discovered why an average rich man or middle class will never let his or her ward to study in the country. It's very difficult to cope in academics here especially for someone like me with poor Elementary and High school education, but trust me It's worth it. What ever you know, you sure know it!
I concluded the second semester with a D + in calculus 1 and a D in Statics.. Of course other 4 courses are close to A's. just include little mathematics, expect a very beautiful 'F" from me. Why am I studying Civil Engineering?

5 Likes

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by WhyNa: 3:59pm On Jul 12, 2014
Lol. Guy you lazy. It shows from the way you keep us waiting too cheesy Keep it up bro, now I cant wait till you get to the part of the story that tells us about your present. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by ukicom86(m): 7:48pm On Jul 12, 2014
Civil Engineering...uhm!
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by chuckvinz(m): 10:59am On Jul 13, 2014
I wonder how it will be like studying mechanical engineering in u.s.a? any idea guys...as an undergraduate..? dats were i am going.
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Manweysabi(m): 12:55pm On Jul 16, 2014
ukicom86: You guys should give this guy a break. Its not easy to be studying, work and keep posting on NL. I give him kudos...I dont think anybody enjoy's his dairy section more than me. Hahahaha...Lets fasten our seat belts and wait patiently for him. Yummy!!!

Oh ok... No mind me jare... I don forget say na student... Lol cheesy

I just dey miss am ni

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by ukicom86(m): 1:20pm On Jul 16, 2014
Manweysabi:

Oh ok... No mind me jare... I don forget say na student... Lol cheesy

I just dey miss am ni
I understand, am just reminding us. Like i said earlier, lets fasten our seat belt.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

List Of Lagos Roads & Bridges Under Okada & Tricycle Restrictions / Ambode’s Wire-mesh Fence On Expressways Are Being Vandalized (see PHOTOS) / Amazing Speedy Construction Of GRA Junction Flyover Port Harcourt: Pics & Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.