Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:00 AM

Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? - Music/Radio (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? (24211 Views)

North, South, East Or West, Which Region Holds Real Hip Hop Down In Naija? / P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award / Real Hip Hop's Top 10 Emcees Of All Time ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jul 08, 2014
A bottle of moet 4u my nicca!!Jesse is outta dis world..JN is one of d most complete album of all time..he murdered it...
olabode89:

God bless u Bruv!!!

Jesse Jagz murdered d Jagz Nation album, tracks like desire, the popular 'bad girl' ft wiz kid, sativa, sex n scotch and my favorite burning bush are super hot.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iheanyi40(m): 10:03pm On Jul 08, 2014
iceberylin:
I agree with u... cool
u no de carry m.i play atall
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iceberylin(m): 10:11pm On Jul 08, 2014
iheanyi40: u no de carry m.i play atall
m i mad..
my favourite
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iheanyi40(m): 10:17pm On Jul 08, 2014
iceberylin:
m i mad..
my favourite
wen e de drop en album na
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iceberylin(m): 10:29pm On Jul 08, 2014
iheanyi40: wen e de drop en album na
Definatly this year
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iheanyi40(m): 10:31pm On Jul 08, 2014
iceberylin:
Definatly this year
na wetin e talk since jan dis year don de end oh
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Gynacologist(m): 11:35pm On Jul 08, 2014
Jregz:
lol………Why hating on them ? they got some good tunes....Future has "Honest","Real and True","I won"

Migos has changed hip-hop with their crazy flows, "The Migos Flow" or better Still Quavo's flow (Triplets),I mean Quavo's got a unique way of jumping on any track... i agree quavo isn't great with lyrics but Offset's got his back there...
I know y'all gon' say Guys from 3'6 Mafia invented the flow (or even Gucci mane) but none of them used it that long and it became irrelevant (just lil section of the songs but Migos,Hella No ,conquering the world since 2012... lol)......A whole lot of rappers having the Migos (quavo) flow o their sounds-drake,future, J.cole,Meek mill even kanye....

hu are dis migos cos ve neva heard of em
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Gynacologist(m): 11:41pm On Jul 08, 2014
tsolz84: @ OP;to be candid;it has faded bro..the only real hip-hop/rapper still holding it strong in 9ja is d legendary "Jesse Jagz"..the likes of ice prince and co aint rappers;dunno the kind of music dey play but it definitely aint rap..
tot i waz d onli one feelin j jagz tat dude delivery is somfin else

2 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Gynacologist(m): 11:47pm On Jul 08, 2014
3DCYCLOPS:

Yeah!! #teamilovebooqey...
I doubt his accent would allow this thouqh angry
hu is dis booqey dude dis is nat ma fitst tym of hearin tat name.gv me ani of his hit songz

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Gynacologist(m): 11:55pm On Jul 08, 2014
NickiRoman: Real hip-hop is long gone in Nigeria..So it doesn't matter,every Artiste is going with the trend of producing Club songs.. It still won't stop me from listening to Real Hip-Hop Artiste like Tu'pac,Nas,Papoose,Jay-Z,Biggy,Mc Lyte,Lauryn Hill,Twalib kwali,Snoop Dog,Eminem,Common,Mos Deff,Andre 3000,LL Cool J,Dr Dre,e.t.c

*Plays Nas-It ain't hard to tell*
correct g i luv tat track lyk man.....illmatic tat shit waz klasic
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Gynacologist(m): 12:03am On Jul 09, 2014
iceberylin: u kept on mentioning Loose.... dude is good with rap but lets face the real niqqiz who made Nigeria Hip Hop...

Da Grin....(Rip)
Mi Abaga..(chairman album coming soon)
mode9 (Nobody compares)
Eldee d Don
rugged man
Jesse jaga. (murder them remains my best)
Edris

this are the real kings

other rappers like
olamide
iceprince
phyno

are just making Noise and bragging
neva heard tat muder dem by jese jagz
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by acenazt: 12:16am On Jul 09, 2014
Chrisdmeek:

I was about saying so bro, I just laugh when I hear some peeps say Lil wanye is the best rapper, Like WTF are they saying
bro you sure know people who can't rap,tho Lil wayne is good at times

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by sambaboy1: 3:00am On Jul 09, 2014
VECTOR can give any American rapper a run for his money any day any time
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by tafatruth(m): 3:10am On Jul 09, 2014
I think in business in general the customer doesn't dictate what he/she wants. A customer is fed or made to believe mostly. I'll like to say hip hop is in decline everywhere even in the USA but the decline in Nigeria is just too depressing. It can be argued that the essence of any business is to make profit but what is the real essence of art. Is it the money,the cars and the females? Or is it the passion and the love? Why do I hear a song once and get goose pimples and hear another a million times but it moves nothing but my body? Like the Lauryn Hill said "Music is supposed to inspire,how come we ain't getting no higher"..... The essence,the truth we all do know. In the famous words of the late DaGrin "Money no dey drive me,money na my conductor"....... #HiphopLivesOn @tafatruth_show

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Sylas: 3:16am On Jul 09, 2014
Whenever I listen to 2pac, Biggy & d beetles back to back, I feel like crying when people say/call M.I, Olamide, Ice prince rapper/hip hop artiste(no hating pls). Hip hop goes beyong rhyming two lines & shouting yaw yaw. Hip hop is a literature, it talks about d abnormality in d society; hip hop is raw, hip hop is rough, hip hop is deep, hip hop is instinctive, hip hop is cruel, hip hop is mild infact hip hop is mixed. Hip hop is like a dilluted chemical d reaction is always conc. Hip hop is highly inflammable cos it has different reaction on different individual but always! Always!! Yield d same end result which is d truth. God bless Modenine, Gino, Jesse Jazt for doing what they believe in!

2 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by birdman(m): 4:16am On Jul 09, 2014
"real" rap was never popular in Nigeria, talk less of it declining. Even when the Wu Tang were a force to be reckoned with, mostly "americanized" Nigerians with access to satellite TV cared.

As much as like like underground rap, I am not overly impressed with mode9 etc. I think they are as good as any other rappers out there, but something about a loss of originality bothers me. At best, Nigerian rappers are clones of the American versions. And something about not bieng completely original always diminishes you. Which is why even americans appreciate a dbanj or ice prince more. why do you think anybody is going to respect you for being a copycat?
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Djicemob: 6:33am On Jul 09, 2014
birdman: "real" rap was never popular in Nigeria, talk less of it declining. Even when the Wu Tang were a force to be reckoned with, mostly "americanized" Nigerians with access to satellite TV cared.

As much as like like underground rap, I am not overly impressed with mode9 etc. I think they are as good as any other rappers out there, but something about a loss of originality bothers me. At best, Nigerian rappers are clones of the American versions. And something about not bieng completely original always diminishes you. Which is why even americans appreciate a dbanj or ice prince more. why do you think anybody is going to respect you for being a copycat?
And iceprince is not a copycat? Why didnt he wear agbada to the BET? Why does he keep shouting "nigga" nigga" in his songs? Why rush into collabos with these american stars? Why not use berom which is his own dialect to rap? Originality? Why didnt BET pick olamide or phyno to rep naija at the Awards? Dont be deceived bro,as long as rap is concerned,all em naija MCs are copy cats including Olamide and Phyno etc.Thanks.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Djicemob: 7:01am On Jul 09, 2014
Joints like:
Happy birthday(flipsyde)
Stan(eminem)
Art of peer pressure(kendrick lamar)
Dear mama(2pac)
Lost ones(jcole)
Crooked smile(jcole)
Cry(modenine)
Money(MI)
Runaway love(ludacris)
Fear(Drake)
Story story(Erigga)Yea him!
And so on...
Are the quintessential example of how a true rap music in its purest form should be like,cos of the message and story in the 3min plus item,irrespective of the artiste or language.And this is why its important to save real rap music in nigeria.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 09, 2014
Gynacologist: hu are dis migos cos ve neva heard of em
Migos is a rap group from Atlanta consisting of three cousins, Quavo,Offset and takeoff...... They are popularly known for the song "Versace"....they relatively new tho (came into d Scene late 2012)
Takeoff is by d right, Offset center and quavo (left)

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Gynacologist(m): 8:49am On Jul 09, 2014
Jregz:
Migos is a rap group from Atlanta consisting of three cousins, Quavo,Offset and takeoff...... They are popularly known for the song "Versace"....they relatively new tho (came into d Scene late 2012)
Takeoff is by d right, Offset center and quavo (left)
do u knw ani of their hit trck i min dope track
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:04am On Jul 09, 2014
Gynacologist: do u knw ani of their hit trck i min dope track
Versace!!!(ft drake) .......Hannah Montana,Migo Dreams,Trophies (Ft drake)

P.S---- Don't expect Some Nas or J.cole flow
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Gynacologist(m): 1:39pm On Jul 09, 2014
Jregz:
Versace!!!(ft drake) .......Hannah Montana,Migo Dreams,Trophies (Ft drake)

P.S---- Don't expect Some Nas or J.cole flow
gonna try some of em...simz ur a die hard fan of jargo frm ur user name
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by birdman(m): 11:16pm On Jul 09, 2014
Djicemob: And iceprince is not a copycat? Why didnt he wear agbada to the BET? Why does he keep shouting "nigga" nigga" in his songs? Why rush into collabos with these american stars? Why not use berom which is his own dialect to rap? Originality? Why didnt BET pick olamide or phyno to rep naija at the Awards? Dont be deceived bro,as long as rap is concerned,all em naija MCs are copy cats including Olamide and Phyno etc.Thanks.

All genres of music borrow from each other. Question: what does mode9 add to his rap that differentiates him from the 10000 other rappers in the US alone. If I walked into an nyc bar and saw mode9 rapping, I could be fooled into thinking he is fam from up the block. Thats how hard he worked on his flow. Unfortunately, there's a thousand others like that in the same area. Americans arent looking to Nigerians to show them what they already have. They want to see something different from you, otherwise they would just mind themselves and not bother.

With olamide etc, I can still see elements of rap, but they added their own unique twists to it. And you dont have to rap in Berom or Yoruba before its unique. Dbanj is not even really a musician, yet Kanye was interested, because of the uniqueness. Rake on olamide, phyno all you want. they are savvier than "real" rappers as you put it.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 11:28pm On Jul 09, 2014
Bawsse:

Commercial is NOT a sub-genre of hip hop. the only sub-genre recognized are: hardcore hip hop, gangstar rap (sometimes fused together) etc. "REAL" isn't relative in this subject, as matter of fact it is constant and recognized by all who understands it. hip hop was created by the black americans to be able to speak out about the oppression from the whites, to talk and educate each other about their society and be to able to distinguish themselves and their culture. so why then would fast-talking about nnyash and cars on fast tempo beats be considered "The Real Hip hop"? it could though, but only by people who do not understand its origin.

What is culture?

Belief, customs, art, way of life..

When a Rapper like Rick Ross talks about Rims, popping bottles and drop tops, he is talking about the black culture that is prevalent in the US black populated neighborhoods. When they sing about drugs, guns and prison, it's actually what they live. Whilst Tupac goes hard and comes at it from a more political standpoint, Ross goes a different direction and talks about it froma more embracing perspective. None I 'realler' than the other, just two sides of a coin.

That's why I say to all the so-called real hip-hop heads to simply stick to your side of the coin and stop trying to flip things. At the end of the day, the content are based on the same subjects.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by ThroneofMercy(m): 3:06am On Jul 10, 2014
Rap music is never for everyone, there are just categories of music lovers; 1. The ones that dance, 2. The ones that listen to music. It takes a great deal of intelligence to comprehend a tight rap flow. Never forget, majority of music lovers are mediocre. Life is so fair, you hang with your type. For me, the likes of krs1 I won't trade for a million jarule. QED
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by birdman(m): 5:05am On Jul 10, 2014
ThroneofMercy: Rap music is never for everyone, there are just categories of music lovers; 1. The ones that dance, 2. The ones that listen to music. It takes a great deal of intelligence to comprehend a tight rap flow. Never forget, majority of music lovers are mediocre. Life is so fair, you hang with your type. For me, the likes of krs1 I won't trade for a million jarule. QED

lol. im sure jarule and krs one are besties

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acdtvO-yHqQ
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 7:51am On Jul 10, 2014
ThroneofMercy: Rap music is never for everyone, there are just categories of music lovers; 1. The ones that dance, 2. The ones that listen to music. It takes a great deal of intelligence to comprehend a tight rap flow. Never forget, majority of music lovers are mediocre. Life is so fair, you hang with your type. For me, the likes of krs1 I won't trade for a million jarule. QED

Please give me one Rap song that requires 'a great deal of intelligence' to comprehend.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Djicemob: 9:01am On Jul 10, 2014
MadCow1:

Please give me one Rap song that requires 'a great deal of intelligence' to comprehend.
I used to love her by common.If not at the end,u would never know where dat nigga was driving at,and u'll be quick to think of it as a love song.And then there's joaquin pheonix by lupe fiasco,hostile gospel by talib kweli and so on...
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Djicemob: 9:08am On Jul 10, 2014
MadCow1:

What is culture?

Belief, customs, art, way of life..

When a Rapper like Rick Ross talks about Rims, popping bottles and drop tops, he is talking about the black culture that is prevalent in the US black populated neighborhoods. When they sing about drugs, guns and prison, it's actually what they live. Whilst Tupac goes hard and comes at it from a more political standpoint, Ross goes a different direction and talks about it froma more embracing perspective. None I 'realler' than the other, just two sides of a coin.

That's why I say to all the so-called real hip-hop heads to simply stick to your side of the coin and stop trying to flip things. At the end of the day, the content are based on the same subjects.
While rick ross talks about being gangsta,2pac lives it.To me sh#t can't get no realler than that and that's the point.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Djicemob: 9:24am On Jul 10, 2014
birdman:

All genres of music borrow from each other. Question: what does mode9 add to his rap that differentiates him from the 10000 other rappers in the US alone. If I walked into an nyc bar and saw mode9 rapping, I could be fooled into thinking he is fam from up the block. Thats how hard he worked on his flow. Unfortunately, there's a thousand others like that in the same area. Americans arent looking to Nigerians to show them what they already have. They want to see something different from you, otherwise they would just mind themselves and not bother.

With olamide etc, I can still see elements of rap, but they added their own unique twists to it. And you dont have to rap in Berom or Yoruba before its unique. Dbanj is not even really a musician, yet Kanye was interested, because of the uniqueness. Rake on olamide, phyno all you want. they are savvier than "real" rappers as you put it.
The difference is that,mode9 centers his rap around the nigerian context(go listen carefully to his sh#t) and also spit words of wisdom as an added bonus(its like u buy 1 and get 1 free).He doesnt talk about poppin bottles and rockin biitches in clubs(like the americans).Ice-prince,olamide etc on the other hand are guilty of this...So now u tell me whose being fake?
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Dreamtouch: 10:22am On Jul 10, 2014
There is a big difference between hardcore rappers and hip hop..pls dnt get it twisted...Modenine,pherowshuz ,redloaf are hardcore rappers while olamide,reminisce,phyno r into hiphop...Pherowshuz is my favorite Nigerian artiste while redman and methodman are my favorite american artiste
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by birdman(m): 12:55pm On Jul 10, 2014
Djicemob: The difference is that,mode9 centers his rap around the nigerian context(go listen carefully to his sh#t) and also spit words of wisdom as an added bonus(its like u buy 1 and get 1 free).He doesnt talk about poppin bottles and rockin biitches in clubs(like the americans).Ice-prince,olamide etc on the other hand are guilty of this...So now u tell me whose being fake?

umm, popping bottles is not an american thing only, is it? neither is love, struggle etc... we are talking not just the content of the song, but the delivery. btw i havent accused anyone of being fake, even though you obviously think this is the case. they just are NOT unique.

lets not get carried away here, it is called the entertainment industry for a reason. and if people are not entertained by you, you should reconsider your act, instead of trying to convince everybody that they dont know what real entertainment is, and you stubbornly keep doing your own thing. If you then still insist on doing things your way, fine, its a free world. just quit whining about it undecided

Ill repeat it again. i'm surrounded by american hip hop culture already. if i'm looking to my homebase for entertainement, i dont want a clone of the real thing. i need stuff that moves me in a different way. shikena

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

5 Top Gospel Songs That Should Top Your Playlist This Yuletide / Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. / Download Old And Fresh Nigeria Songs All For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.