Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,845 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:21 PM

Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? - Music/Radio (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? (24204 Views)

North, South, East Or West, Which Region Holds Real Hip Hop Down In Naija? / P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award / Real Hip Hop's Top 10 Emcees Of All Time ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 08, 2014
ERTHAENIGMA:
listen to j.cole's lost ones. Classic dialogue. He tackled the issue of teen pregnancy in 3 minutes 54 seconds. Something nollywood would not be able to portray in 3hrs of film time

i didnt say they dont talk about women issues. I said they have not ONLY talked about women issues, they have also talked about men issues as well. Thats why Rap is complete.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by ERTHAENIGMA(m): 1:12pm On Jul 08, 2014
craziebone:

i didnt say they dont talk about women issues. I said they have not ONLY talked about women issues, they have also talked about men issues as well. Thats why Rap is complete.
lol. I was buttressing the same point. We're on the same side bro
Np. Big krit - Mt. Olympus
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by TyTymer(m): 1:12pm On Jul 08, 2014
anago18:

like he cares about y'all numbskulls, without your love and money he has been going strong since time immemorial. how about grabbing cyanide for lunch and save us from your gross stupidity syndrome
Comprehend statements before you retort.

I meant Nigeria is not ready 'cos good music is not appreciated by the majority. You obviously did not follow my previous posts. Naija encourages wack music, so Mode9 is better off doing his thing in America.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by decepticos(m): 1:13pm On Jul 08, 2014
mumumugu: What is the difference between rapping and talking fast
let's put sarcasm to play here, what diff is there btw poetry and talking slow, an audio book and an actual book, a novel and its movie adaptation, a pdf file and its printed version, u and an actual mumu? U should get d picture by now.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 08, 2014
@Shymex you get Naija songs in the UK too? How famous and popular is it in the UK?
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 08, 2014
ERTHAENIGMA:
lol. I was buttressing the same point. We're on the same side bro
Np. Big krit - Mt. Olympus
ok
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by BRAV0O(m): 1:16pm On Jul 08, 2014
Creamish:

ok then. cool
so what's ur poison ? wink
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by oluamid(m): 1:19pm On Jul 08, 2014
TyTymer:
Lol. Keep waiting. Naija is not ready for mode9. Let him try his luck in America.

To each his own, bro. So far, Modenine has not declared bankruptcy so that means he's somehow making it through his music. I buy his music on itunes and I know a lot of people who do too and we are all Nigerians.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jul 08, 2014
TyTymer:
@ the bolded,... I'm surprised you think so. Do you think he followed the basics you were talking about?

Apart from the language, that was a dark video with a catchy hip-hop hook and classic hip-hop beat. The structure of the bars as well.

You can play that in an American club and people will rock to it. Unlike most other naij rap tunes.

So, it's definitely a banger.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jul 08, 2014
craziebone: @Shymex you get Naija songs in the UK too? How famous and popular is it in the UK?

Afrobeat is big in the UK. All black people listen to Afrobeats now, including a lot of white folks.

Heck, it's on the radio rotation as well. Esp Dbanj, Psquare, Wizkid, and Davido.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by oluamid(m): 1:23pm On Jul 08, 2014
anago18:

it will be do...pe as always, moreover if you follow Modey on twitter you will know he is forever busy, new mix tapes, singles and all that like every time.

I absolutely agree. I think Modenine is the Nigerian hip hop artiste with the most material (my opinion though).
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Creamish(f): 1:24pm On Jul 08, 2014
BRAV0O: so what's ur poison ? wink

Im an "omni-antidote"... no weakness. cool
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by anago18(m): 1:25pm On Jul 08, 2014
oluamid:

I absolutely agree. I think Modenine is the Nigerian hip hop artiste with the most material (my opinion though).
that is so truth.....
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by BRAV0O(m): 1:30pm On Jul 08, 2014
Creamish:

keep dreaming smiley
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by TyTymer(m): 1:31pm On Jul 08, 2014
oluamid:

To each his own, bro. So far, Modenine has not declared bankruptcy so that means he's somehow making it through his music. I buy his music on itunes and I know a lot of people who do too and we are all Nigerians.
smiley
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by TyTymer(m): 1:33pm On Jul 08, 2014
shymexx:

Apart from the language, that was a dark video with a catchy hip-hop hook and classic hip-hop beat. The structure of the bars as well.

You can play that in an American club and people will rock to it. Unlike most other naij rap tunes.

So, it's definitely a banger.
I agree.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by TyTymer(m): 1:34pm On Jul 08, 2014
Creamish:

We'll see about that. wink

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by vicchi12(f): 1:38pm On Jul 08, 2014
As usual, Nigerians talking shiit likevthey know what they're saying.. Mchewwe. Just wanna b cool. Like those rappers give a 2fucks about you grin grin
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jul 08, 2014
anago18:

just try look for those joint I recommend, you will know the cat is above the naija gibberish. moreover he is a naij-brit like you.

I've never heard of the guy, and I'm always on the look out everywhere for naija-brits and naija-Americans who can rap. Been doing that since college days, and that was how I discovered Wale, Godwon, and some naija guy from Compton on hiphopgame way back in like 04/05. grin Chiddy of Chiddybang can also rap his ar.se off - probably the greatest Nigerian freestyler ever.

Heard of Phil Ade, Fem Fel, SAS Eurogang, and Bigz Flygerian? My boy Troopz used to be heavy when he was into rap back in the day.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jul 08, 2014
Anyone who cares about Nigerians in diaspora who can rap should check out this freestyle by Chiddy of Chiddybang in the UK. 64 heavy bars!! He killed it!! grin Off the dome!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QykmmoG2YAc
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by anago18(m): 1:41pm On Jul 08, 2014
shymexx:

I've never heard of the guy, and I'm always on the look out everywhere for naija-brits and naija-Americans who can rap. Been doing that since college days, and that was how I discovered Wale, Godwon, and some naija guy from Compton on hiphopgame way back in like 04/05. grin Chiddy of Chiddybang can also rap his ar.se off - probably the greatest Nigerian freestyler ever.

Heard of Phil Ade, Fem Fel, SAS Eurogang, and Bigz Flygerian? My boy Troopz used to be heavy when he was into rap back in the day.

nah, modey left the Queensland as a toddler, but he still breeze in the u.k on a reg.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Creamish(f): 1:42pm On Jul 08, 2014
TyTymer:
We'll see about that. wink

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by ayorwizz(m): 1:48pm On Jul 08, 2014
KiddaBlingzz: someday it will. I hope Boogey paves the way
Boogey wo gon? Dat niqqur's overrated abeg.
Phenom over him anyday.....its just crazy how phenom is trying hard to go commercial
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by ayorwizz(m): 1:49pm On Jul 08, 2014
KiddaBlingzz: someday it will. I hope Boogey paves the way
Boogey wo gon? Dat niqqur's overrated abeg.
Phenom over him anyday.....its just crazy how phenom is trying hard to go commercial
Abeg "shoki" over boogey anyday *grabs white handkerchief*
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jul 08, 2014
anago18:

nah, modey left the Queensland as a toddler, but he still breeze in the u.k on a reg.

Oh ok.

Er, check out this tune by Phil Ade...he's still an underground rapper, yet compare the structure of his bars, the storytelling, the concept, and everything about this tune - to naija hip-hop and you'll see the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hd3li3wsxA
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by redsun(m): 1:55pm On Jul 08, 2014
What does nigerian artist rap about? Is it primarily about the corruption and systematic backwardness,campus confraternity,area boys menace or what?

They just tend to be like the carricatures of the Americans,but totally different with totally different fundamental issues. Fela was a two genius,but he did it in a totally different ways that appealled to regular Africans and the world in general.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nihilist: 2:10pm On Jul 08, 2014
shymexx:

I believe real hip-hop heads will always be real hip-hop heads regardless of where they were born and raised. For a lot of Nigerians to know about hip-hop, most must have been raised by the culture, and they're core fans of it. So, there should be a core fan-base in the country. Apart from the accent, great music will always be great music. Shyte, most people don't understand Spanish, but they still adore Shakira and Carlos Santana(in that genre). grin K'naan is Somalian, but the hip-hop community in America rates him highly. That's the beauty of the art and culture.

Krept and Konan have got bars for days, yo. A lot of yanks love them. Rap is universal and there's no need to authenticity as long as you follow the rules. You'll only be fake when you rap in an American accent, when you're not from there.

Modenine actually raps with a quasi-American accent. It's hard to take him serious when he does that.

I get and agree with your point about hip-hop being no respecter of boundaries, and that's the reason why a lot of us are fans of the American rappers in addition to our local ones.

Here in the UK, even on the most american of beats, mandem are still chatting about road, food, straps, shanks, jakes, snakes, endz and ting....You listen to any british rapper and you know exactly where he's from. Except for Krept and Konan going Trap - Trap is synonymous to southern rap. It's a regional thing.

Modenine's rap has very little cultural markers to identify him as Nigerian.

And that's my point, Modenine is an American rapper who is not from America and cannot sell there,and raps in a style and subject matter that do not apply in Naija. I dont rate him at all.

Can you say Giggs sound fake as well because he single-handedly changed the UK scene, from grime to rap
I disgaree with this though. Roots Manuva had been doing hiphop since the 90s. Talking the hardest didn't change the game in my opinion, as grime was practically finished when Giggs dropped that...Grime top dogs like Dizzie and Kano realized this and had already gone commercial.

Argument for another day though.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Sike(m): 2:20pm On Jul 08, 2014
Baddo!!! I see you jor
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by valolisa(m): 2:24pm On Jul 08, 2014
Its jagz nation all the way, paving d way for some real serious isssh
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by larryjayz: 2:27pm On Jul 08, 2014
anago18:

this is above you brother, rap is about written, punchlines and metaphor. those niggi in naij are just clowning around, go soak yourself in a cannibus and rakim album and you will wanna shoot those Nigerian clowns dead.
That's Deep bro!
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by anago18(m): 2:37pm On Jul 08, 2014
shymexx:

Oh ok.

Er, check out this tune by Phil Ade...he's still an underground rapper, yet compare the structure of his bars, the storytelling, the concept, and everything about this tune - to naija hip-hop and you'll see the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hd3li3wsxA

damn this brother is deep, it will take all this naija clowns more than 10 lifetimes plus 50 reincarnation to get to this level.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jul 08, 2014
MadCow1:

First of all, let me start off with you by saying bone Thugs n Harmony which your user I.d is based on one of the characters that make up the group is one other artist whose discography I own. And even you must admit that their music isn't appealing to all groups.

And if you followed my posts, you would notice that what I am against is what most of the so called real hip hop heads are defining as real rap. Like one of the dudes who are at me rightly said, gangsta rap is just one of the sub genres of Rap. So how does one place one subset above the other. I consider myself a versatile music lover. Most of the artistes you guys categorise as real rap, I like so also those you guys classify as not real rap.

All I am saying is what you like does not define realness or fake. Different songs appeal to different people.
. Simple as ABC, problem is, most of this gangstar rap lovers just wanna shove it down a nigga throat... And when I tell em that in my leisure, when am on my 3rd bottle of stout, I enjoy me some kukere or I listen to phyno's "parcel" when am thinking of dat money in the envelope.. They tell me I don't know music.... Truth is, I listen to Nas, 2pac, rakim, bone thugs etc, I also read a lot of books, I must confess, this dudes make a lotta sense but I have never heard one thing that WOWED me..... And anybody who said you needed to be intelligent to crack what nas says is a joker... My homeboy is obsessed with Nas, he listens to gangster music more than I do, but is he smarter than me? I don't think so.... Any average fellow who is interested can understand what those niccurs say, its not quantum physics... So fvck the INTELLIGENT, LYRICAL BULLSH1T....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

5 Top Gospel Songs That Should Top Your Playlist This Yuletide / Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. / Download Old And Fresh Nigeria Songs All For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.