Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? - Music/Radio (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? (24209 Views)

North, South, East Or West, Which Region Holds Real Hip Hop Down In Naija? / P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award / Real Hip Hop's Top 10 Emcees Of All Time ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by daryoor(m): 12:43pm On Jul 08, 2014
iceberylin:
just accept it bro...
ur comment was so dump ...
imagine u saying Davido is a rapper.. lol

sklewu n Gobe na HipHop
abi na Aye...

Go to school

i never called davido a rapper. if you dont know what hiphop means. you need try google. what will you call skelewu? jazz? if u call it pop, well, u aren't too far. hiphop is a culture, in other word if u see a nigga in baggy jeans with grillz in his teeth, and has all that gangsta vocabulary - he living the culture , and the music from the culture is rap and rnb..what ill refer to as black people music. an interviewer asked tuface: what genre of music do you sing? . he said: afro pop, thats african hiphop.. most of our artist wont deny the influence of hiphop in their music except for the likes of asa and femi kuti

im sure if i see u in real life i wont waste my energy arguing with you cause you started. listening to music yesterday.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 12:44pm On Jul 08, 2014
Creamish:

Point.

The last paragraph .. refer.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Creamish(f): 12:45pm On Jul 08, 2014
TyTymer: I agree. A very fine line.

You remember the era of Tony Tetuila, Eedris and Eddy remedies, etc? I didn't enjoy their music but they were popular and they sold. I guess Naija loves unorganized music. Just give us rhythm that reflects the chaos in our society and you're good to go. grin grin

Exactly...and when someone is into production of any sort, its always best to study the market... xcpt its a musical Non-Profit Org one decides to run, then u can go ahead and sing ur passion(which wont sell) and happily watch ur investments get flushed down d drains...

I admire Dare's songs but what happened? Pains me when i hear ppl write-off his songs just cos they cant dance Azonto to dem.. Now he is coming down to the actual demands of music fans....mayb when he relocates abroad, he can continue his "Luther Vandross/ Brian Mcnight" inspired tunes...
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Creamish(f): 12:46pm On Jul 08, 2014
BRAV0O: my dear history always repeat itself...

ok then. cool
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jul 08, 2014
Nihilist:
To be fair, the subject matter and the target audience require a different genre of hiphop.

I personally dont believe a born and bred in Naija man can do american style hiphop authentically just as Krept and Konan sound fake on that 'Dont waste my time' quasi-trap tune.

Which is why I dont rate Mode9, because the enabling factors and societal environment that birthed american style rap is not the story of Nigeria, and mode9 is as much a real rapper as Wizkid is an Opera tenor

I believe real hip-hop heads will always be real hip-hop heads regardless of where they were born and raised. For a lot of Nigerians to know about hip-hop, most must have been raised by the culture, and they're core fans of it. So, there should be a core fan-base in the country. Apart from the accent, great music will always be great music. Shyte, most people don't understand Spanish, but they still adore Shakira and Carlos Santana(in that genre). grin K'naan is Somalian, but the hip-hop community in America rates him highly. That's the beauty of the art and culture.

Krept and Konan have got bars for days, yo. A lot of yanks love them. Rap is universal and there's no need to authenticity as long as you follow the rules. You'll only be fake when you rap in an American accent, when you're not from there. Can you say Giggs sound fake as well because he single-handedly changed the UK scene, from grime to rap?
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 08, 2014
MadCow1:

First of all, let me start off with you by saying bone Thugs n Harmony which your user I.d is based on one of the characters that make up the group is one other artist whose discography I own. And even you must admit that their music isn't appealing to all groups.

And if you followed my posts, you would notice that what I am against is what most of the so called real hip hop heads are defining as real rap. Like one of the dudes who are at me rightly said, gangsta rap is just one of the sub genres of Rap. So how does one place one subset above the other. I consider myself a versatile music lover. Most of the artistes you guys categorise as real rap, I like so also those you guys classify as not real rap.

All I am saying is what you like does not define realness or fake. Different songs appeal to different people.

you are right. BTNH's music doesnt appeal to all lovers of rap not to talk of pp who rap isnt most interesting to.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Creamish(f): 12:47pm On Jul 08, 2014
MadCow1:

The last paragraph .. refer.

Yeah....i meant ur post makes plenty sense... smiley
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iceberylin(m): 12:47pm On Jul 08, 2014
ERTHAENIGMA:
he might have fallen off,but after modenine, m.i is next on the list. Illegal music was a classic
I agree with u... cool

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Anacksunamun: 12:47pm On Jul 08, 2014
ERTHAENIGMA:
it's obvious that you're a re.tard. We are not asking for the better musicians,we are talking about hip hop! All these dumb indomie generation kids
Why do people resort to calling people with contrasting views, harsh names? Did Njokusboy insult you directly? Why the insult? Your type amaze me sometimes.

2 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by TyTymer(m): 12:48pm On Jul 08, 2014
Nihilist:

To be fair, the subject matter and the target audience require a different genre of hiphop.

I personally dont believe a born and bred in Naija man can do american style hiphop authentically just as Krept and Konan sound fake on that 'Dont waste my time' quasi-trap tune.

Which is why I dont rate Mode9, because the enabling factors and societal environment that birthed american style rap is not the story of Nigeria, and mode9 is as much a real rapper as Wizkid is an Opera tenor
You have said it all. They have adapted the genre to their environment. I think that is something.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by curiouses: 12:48pm On Jul 08, 2014
It's actually not about the artists, it's about what people demand for. We ask for craps they give us craps.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Hurklan(m): 12:48pm On Jul 08, 2014
iceberylin:
just accept it bro...
ur comment was so dump ...
imagine u saying Davido is a rapper.. lol

sklewu n Gobe na HipHop
abi na Aye...

Go to school
lwkm
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by curiouses: 12:50pm On Jul 08, 2014
JABB: Well....what more can we say....Generation Now don't know wat Rap used to look like back then a lot of misconception is what we have now.Here is a mixtape I produced and featured in it wit group of underground Rappers.Download for free
www.the3axes.com/2012/05/music-jabbarad-heads-on-deck.html?m=1
You call featured Ill Bliss?
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Anacksunamun: 12:50pm On Jul 08, 2014
Nihilist:

True. M.I can't be compared to American style of Hiphop. But in Nigerian style of Hiphop, the dude is rated highly.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 12:50pm On Jul 08, 2014
Creamish:

Yeah....i meant ur post makes plenty sense... smiley

My bad. kiss
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Creamish(f): 12:50pm On Jul 08, 2014
curiouses: It's actually not about the artists, it's about what people demand for. We ask for craps they give us craps.

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by anago18(m): 12:51pm On Jul 08, 2014
shymexx:

Throw some mode9 videos on the thread.

shymexx:

Throw some mode9 videos on the thread.

trying to upload a song of 3.1mb but nairaland ain't loading it. just Google elbow room by modenine or black rap messiah better still the new joint upside down featuring nnenna omali.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jul 08, 2014
@Madcow, Nihilist, Shymex, i still maintain that the reason why rappers dont get it here in Nigeria is becos the mdia doesnt pay so much attention to it.

When you keep hearing the same thing over and over again, you are likely going to start liking it.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 12:54pm On Jul 08, 2014
Nihilist:

I give this post a 5 mic rating.

2 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by ERTHAENIGMA(m): 12:54pm On Jul 08, 2014
shymexx: Can someone please name all decent naij rappers?

I dunno man, the ones I've listened to don't even know what a 16 is...they don't use metaphors and similes...all they do is rhyme. And perhaps in M.I's case throw some vocabs in there. That's about it. Rap isn't just about rhyming. grin

I believe they all need to go study "The Art of Rap" and get back to the basics.
boogey. Cop his artificial intelligence mixtape and thank me later
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jul 08, 2014
anago18:

trying to upload a song of 3.1mb but nairaland ain't loading it. just Google elbow room by modenine or black rap messiah better still the new joint upside down featuring nnenna omali.

I like Mode9 and Saudekid to an extent on this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecSEOTdpI9c
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by symbian03(m): 12:57pm On Jul 08, 2014
ERTHAENIGMA:
2pac is not the best rapper that ever came to this world. Stop being re.tarded
np- bigg juss- Black mamba serum

F.ool... you only win an argument by calling names better thank your stars this is a faceless forum. So, giving my opinion makes me re.tarded person? you dimwitted nitwit.

Na ur papa and mama be re.tardeen oloshi
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by oluamid(m): 12:57pm On Jul 08, 2014
anago18:

brotherly that joint is do....per than dope. as in the way he crafted the Nigerian problem into one verse is just way too amazing.

Abi oo. Problem with most people is that cos the radio don't play most of his songs, they tend to think Modenine went down, while in truth, he never left. I'm eagerly awaiting the launch of Above Ground Level.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jul 08, 2014
craziebone: @Madcow, Nihilist, Shymex, i still maintain that the reason why rappers dont get it here in Nigeria is becos the mdia doesnt pay so much attention to it.

When you keep hearing the same thing over and over again, you are likely going to start liking it.

That was what I was alluding to when I asserted that it grows on people.

That's how the junk in the mainstream grew on all of us.

Oooops, I forgot DaGrin, that guy can really rap his ar.se off. That "pon pon pon" tune was a banger.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by anago18(m): 12:59pm On Jul 08, 2014
shymexx:

I like Mode9 and Saudekid to an extent on this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecSEOTdpI9c

just try look for those joint I recommend, you will know the cat is above the naija gibberish. moreover he is a naij-brit like you.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by ERTHAENIGMA(m): 12:59pm On Jul 08, 2014
craziebone: @Nihilist you should have told hi to listen to Damian Marly ft Nas's "Patience" if he were looking for intellectual content. Infact, i have never heard such intellect in RnB, or any other kind of mainstream music @Mad Cow likes!

He talked about gender. But the truth is Rap is the only kind of music (to the best of my knowledge) that has addressed gender issues more than any mainstream music. Rap has not only addressed girls issues, it has also addressed Boys issues too - the only music to have done that. Bone Thugs' "Not My Baby" readily comes to mind here.
listen to j.cole's lost ones. Classic dialogue. He tackled the issue of teen pregnancy in 3 minutes 54 seconds. Something nollywood would not be able to portray in 3hrs of film time

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by anago18(m): 1:00pm On Jul 08, 2014
oluamid:

Abi oo. Problem with most people is that cos the radio don't play most of his songs, they tend to think Modenine went down, while in truth, he never left. I'm eagerly awaiting the launch of Above Ground Level.

it will be do...pe as always, moreover if you follow Modey on twitter you will know he is forever busy, new mix tapes, singles and all that like every time.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by TyTymer(m): 1:01pm On Jul 08, 2014
oluamid:

Lol. Keep waiting. Naija is not ready for mode9. Let him try his luck in America.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by tripxx: 1:03pm On Jul 08, 2014
you either adapt or you perish.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by anago18(m): 1:04pm On Jul 08, 2014
TyTymer:
Lol. Keep waiting. Naija is not ready for mode9. Let him try his luck in America.

like he cares about y'all numbskulls, without your love and money he has been going strong since time immemorial. how about grabbing cyanide for lunch and save us from your gross stupidity syndrome
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by TyTymer(m): 1:05pm On Jul 08, 2014
shymexx:

That was what I was alluding to when I asserted that it grows on people.

That's how the junk in the mainstream grew on all of us.

Oooops, I forgot DaGrin, that guy can really rap his ar.se off. That "pon pon pon" tune was a banger.
@ the bolded,... I'm surprised you think so. Do you think he followed the basics you were talking about?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

5 Top Gospel Songs That Should Top Your Playlist This Yuletide / Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. / Download Old And Fresh Nigeria Songs All For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.