Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,800 members, 7,817,314 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! (45021 Views)

My Bitter Experience With Registering A Business Name With CAC Online Portal / HELP With Shopping On Aliexpress.com!!!! / Can One Shop On Ebay From Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by babseg(m): 11:27pm On Jul 14, 2014
You all guys are making a big mistake. From my point of view its not the seller's fault but of ebay/PayPal.

According to eBay policies buyers are always protected but in ops case he's not.

I think your money is with ebay/PayPal. Contacting the seller might not help.

And please don't blame ebay for their actions against u but blame it on our yahoo guys.

7 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by am0s(m): 11:28pm On Jul 14, 2014
no vex...
ur naija btodas too don do am

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by DWJOBScom(m): 11:31pm On Jul 14, 2014
drakeskull: Although, being aware of the kinds of ill-treatment most foreign countries subjects Nigerians to, I still went ahead to use services domiciled in those countries since it's legit and have no intention of fraud or whatsoever. I hope i get out of my present predicament.
Last month, I got an info on nairaland that paypal is now accepting Nigerians, extremely elated, I quickly opened an account even though I went through hassles setting it up due to various verification requirements. After successfully opening paypal, I went ahead to open an ebay account, setting up was quite easy, I linked my Gtb card and got confirmation my account has been activated.

Just about five days ago, I tried purchasing a item on a site even though my account couldn't cover up for the purchase, I just tried it to see if truly American sites would accept paypal payments from Nigeria. I got an error which is usual, I later got mails from paypal requesting me to verify my account again by sending my photo id, debit card and bank statement all scanned to them which I did and later got a mail the following day that my account is now fully operative.

Now to the major issue, I saw a phone on ebay at $275.00, though its a bid but i chose the 'buy it now' option, when i got to the checkout page, i got series of errors telling me i have limits to the number of items i can purchase or number of bids i could take part in. The funny thing isd i have never bidded before nor purchased on ebay. The only times i used ebay was year 2012 and 2013 when i purchased some items and it was though a forwarding company (myus.com). They carried out all the transactions and deducted the total from mt gtb card. Back to the issue, i google the cause of the ebay issue and found a solution which is for me to link my preferred payment method to my paypal which i had carried out earlier. I now had to link my gtb card again and the payment went through with confirmation mail.

About an hour later after successful payment which i got a mail to the effect as well as confirmation mail from paypal reflecting the deduction on my account, I received a shocking mail from ebay that my account has been suspended indefinitely due to some security reasons so as to protect buyers and sellers. I was furious, I didnt know what to do cos my account was now useless after debiting me, no way to track my purchase or contact the seller to request cancellation. I read online about the issue where ppl with same issue warned against opening another account or contacting the seller outside ebay cos ebay will find out if u open another account since it will be linked to current paypal account.

I held on and now decided to call their customer care line, I spoke for 19mins 38 secs, the agent apologised and requested me to send bank statement or utility bill or photo id reflecting the same address i used in opening my ebay account. Now, the problem is i used my office address to open the account and none of my utility bills or photo id reflects that. I later sent in the documents and extra ones like a letter informing them or my address issues via fax.

Early this morning, to my astonishment, I received a mail informing me that after reviewing my case, they realised their actions were correct and i will still remain suspended. I immediately called their line, spoke for 32 minutes, the agent apologized, verified my address and checked the transaction. She confirmed the seller even violated ebay policies. My pertinent question is how on earth should i be suspended for another persons acts? ebay even informed me after suspension that am no longer covered by their buyer protection meaning if the seller doesnt ship, its my biz (thats after receiving payment o). I was furious, asking her questions and showing my bitterness that how i wish i stuck to amazon.

She later assured me I will get my refund cos she has confirmed my account. She had to patch me thru to a rep in paypal and informed me to tell the rep i wanna file for claims. The paypal rep too confirmed my account and payment and adviced me to file for claims on paypal if the seller doesnt ship or ships the wrong item but i should wait till the date of estimated delivery time. She placed me on hold to check the estimated delivery time, after abt 4 minutes on hold, she informed me the seller didnt include it and thats another violation undecided.

THE MOST SURPRISING THING IF NOT THE MOST SCARY IS THE FACT THAT THE SELLER HAS RELISTED THE SAME ITEM ON EBAY. THE SAME ITEM THAT WAS SHOWING "SOLD" AFTER I PURCHASED IT .

This i pointed out to the reps which was confirmed as abnormal. I would wait till 20th or 21st of this month, if i dont get my item, na to file claim straight up.

I guess its high time we boycott all these countries that labels us as fraud or stop using their humiliating services even though they are bigger fraud themselves.

I will keep my fingers crossed till that date and update this thread as events unfold. This is really a bitter experience, going though loss of my hard earned money.

*****Matured Comments Only, Please*******

Am sorry u went thru all this - it's a pity they think they can get away with a lot of things that's a clear violation of customer buyer policy if there's anything like that!!!!
Thank God you identified the right source to channel the challenge as many would've threatened , called names, cursed "etced" their banks
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Fuck: 11:32pm On Jul 14, 2014
Everything about us is always viewed with suspicion, we brought it upon ourselves.
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Goldenboy007(m): 11:33pm On Jul 14, 2014
Hmmmmm, This is the disadvantage of being the first set of people to try out a new system. Definetly the system would still have teething problem. I have done several businesses on eBay although I live in the US, some transaction went well and some did not. Be rest assured they will return your money if you have not breached any of their laws. Blaming them for tagging us a fraud? Tell that to our brothers in the yahoo yahoo business ! The funny thing is I; myself don't trust Nigerians even though i'm a bloody Nigerian too ! When I buy on eBay I screen off all sellers outside US because the fear of Nigerians, Indians, Chinese, Indonesians and their likes is the beginning of wisdom ! Its sad that in the virtual business world, the mention of that word "Nigeria" people take to their heels!!!

10 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by AlfaSeltzer(m): 11:33pm On Jul 14, 2014
You lose, you learn.
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:33pm On Jul 14, 2014
sammer4life: I knew this was gonna hit front page. If not for my procastination, I would have been dancin my skelewu on top my FTC award. Gboliwe beat me to it..... Let me go bak and read dis post again sef
Ori e buru

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by ghostofsparta(m): 11:34pm On Jul 14, 2014
Coming back to share mine

*back*

I was scammed on eBay US by presumably US seller who listed a Sony Playstation 3 console (that was about 3 years after it released). I paid a relative in the UK who paid the eBay seller with his PayPal and it was shipped to me but turns out to be a CD!. After filing for refund and shouting fraud blah blah blah, I was told I should forget it since the seller posted a disclaimer on his listing as to what he was actually selling. But that bit was tiny moreover I was mislead with the image and description.
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 11:37pm On Jul 14, 2014
And this happened to me today

9 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by AlfaSeltzer(m): 11:37pm On Jul 14, 2014
It's a cat & mouse game. You need to learn how to play it. We are all on one single rotating rock.
Stop crying and advance. Let Satan guide you.
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Psalmpy(m): 11:38pm On Jul 14, 2014
truly a bitter one mahn
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by sylve11: 11:38pm On Jul 14, 2014
Gboliwe: I don't even have "childish" comment. I just want to follow the thread and learn a thing or two. wink

grin cool

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by babseg(m): 11:38pm On Jul 14, 2014
Goldenboy007: Hmmmmm, This is the disadvantage of being the first set of people to try out a new system. Definetly the system would still have teething problem. I have done several businesses on eBay although I live in the US, some transaction went well and some did not. Be rest assured they will return your money if you have not breached any of their laws. Blaming them for tagging us a fraud? Tell that to our brothers in the yahoo yahoo business ! The funny thing is I; myself don't trust Nigerians even though i'm a bloody Nigerian too ! When I buy on eBay I screen off all sellers outside US because the fear of Nigerians, Indians, Chinese, Indonesians and their likes is the beginning of wisdom ! Its sad that in the virtual business world, the mention of that word "Nigeria" people take to their heels!!!

Lol I'm a regular seller on eBay but when I see Nigerian on my listing I always cancel the transaction.

The funny thing is that they will not pay but ask you to check your email for payment.

4 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by godG: 11:39pm On Jul 14, 2014
It is safe to say that you entered one chance. I honestly don't know why Nigerians rush to the sham they call Nigerian PayPal. Before its advent, haven't you been making transactions online? Nonsense. Well, sorry.
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by AlfaSeltzer(m): 11:41pm On Jul 14, 2014
op stop stressing yourself. You have done your part.
Log on to paypal and try to open a case. if it gives you a date, wait till that date, then log on then and request a full refund for not receiving the item. you'll get your money back.
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by tunshe: 11:41pm On Jul 14, 2014
After reading through your post, I can assure you that you will get a refund as long as you press with this attitude.

However, I don't advice people outside the US to go for bids. Just a personal advice.

I have had delivery issues on ebay despite living in the US and using the report utility brings your case to hearing.

Also before buying on ebay,check reviews about the seller and take time to read terms and conditions.

On the issue of boycott you raised,people will still do business online because that's the future. I think your anger should be directed to the Yahoo Yahoo boys and not the people trying to protect all users.

I feel your point bro,everything gonna be alright.

7 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Day11(m): 11:43pm On Jul 14, 2014
It happens everyday, all you need is to show them proof that you are the mother of the account.

Ebay is more secured than any online market.

Wait till the said DATE, if you didnt receive you items. Paypal will refund you back in 2 days. sad

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by solace8(m): 11:45pm On Jul 14, 2014
I hope u come out of this Shit smelling Of Roses Bro.. I just activated my pay pal, and was abt making purchase wen I jt saw dis Thread.

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Sixteen2012: 11:47pm On Jul 14, 2014
Extra miles indeed. those guys are professional scammers. since they see us as bad people, i neva do business with them. my aliexpress is betteroff.
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by chaberry(m): 11:47pm On Jul 14, 2014
Ok
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Chemical2(m): 11:53pm On Jul 14, 2014
@op, sorry about that. This is what happens when you are from Nigeria and are using their e-payment systems. What you went through is little compared to what some of us are going through here in the US. Nigerians are branded 'potential fraud'. Good people, great nation failed to achieve the re-branding of our name, it keeps getting worse. God help us.

6 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Nobody: 11:53pm On Jul 14, 2014
Wats wid the 'too long' comments most young 'uns seem to espouse here on nairaland..pls is the in-thing for youths now 'ignorance'? Is it now a fad not to be able to read?I'm kinda lost o
Some1 said once that to hide money from armed robber niggers,u hide it in a book..I dddnt believe it buh nowadays,it seems true
Leetunechi: Too long mhen

meanwhile

AMERICA WILL KNOW !

12 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Okuda(m): 11:53pm On Jul 14, 2014
sammer4life: I knew this was gonna hit front page. If not for my procastination, I would have been dancin my skelewu on top my FTC award. Gboliwe beat me to it..... Let me go bak and read dis post again sef

^^You are a jobless fu.c..k.^^

Op i think everything serves you right..you dont joke when it comes to issues loke this.. now you smell foul and you are shouting boycott.. they dont even send you and your country..if people like you crop up in 10 other locations in Nigeraia doing the same thing or something similar, they would block the entire country.
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by JideTheBlogger(m): 11:55pm On Jul 14, 2014
Ama stick to Amazon. I don't have time for all this wahala.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by BlackBaron: 11:56pm On Jul 14, 2014
tunshe: After reading through your post, I can assure you that you will get a refund as long as you press with this attitude.
However, I don't advice people outside the US to go for bids. Just a personal advice.
I have had delivery issues on ebay despite living in the US and using the report utility brings your case to hearing.
Also before buying on ebay,check reviews about the seller and take time to read terms and conditions.
On the issue of boycott you raised,people will still do business online because that's the future. I think your anger should be directed to the Yahoo Yahoo boys and not the people trying to protect all users.
I feel your point bro,everything gonna be alright.

This!
It's even more compounded due to Nigeria's status as a beehive of fraud hence their system flags you up especially when sending to a different address than on your PayPal/bank account.

Better off using a proxy. Saves a lot of stress...

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jul 14, 2014
Chemical2: @op, sorry about that. This is what happens when you are from Nigeria and are using their e-payment systems. What you went through is little compared to what some of us are going through here in the US. Nigerians are branded 'potential fraud'. Good people, great nation failed to achieve the re-branding of our name, it keeps getting worse. God help us.

Please elaborate on what you've personally gone through in the US due to being a Nigerian.
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by macklef(m): 11:57pm On Jul 14, 2014
Mehn... Beign on a blacklist is the worst tag ever.
It would get to a time we will be scanning our original birth certificate to open a so called foreign online account.
I guess illd just chill with the ebay and paper stuff for now till everything balances.
Specuit to the rescue jareh.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by zurine(f): 11:58pm On Jul 14, 2014
hmm
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jul 14, 2014
Blame this on the Yahoo Yahoo folks.

I've sold and bought many things, high dollar items and even cars on eBay with no issues.

You admitted that you verifiable data does not match?

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by passionate88: 12:00am On Jul 15, 2014
** MATURED COMMENT**
My son, forget the money... All those calls wey u make na how much u dn spend on them?. U no see say some ppl sef no dey too trust our local online retail outlets talk more of those wey dey yankee... grin grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Naira Continues Appreciation Against USD At Forex Market / Dollar Is Back To Normal On Google, Sigh :-( / What Eden1747(f) Did Not Tell Us About Her "Humilation" At ECOBANK Badagry Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.