Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,452 members, 7,954,779 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:07 AM

My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! (45554 Views)

My Bitter Experience With Registering A Business Name With CAC Online Portal / HELP With Shopping On Aliexpress.com!!!! / Can One Shop On Ebay From Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Goldenboy007(m): 12:02am On Jul 15, 2014
babseg:

Lol I'm a regular seller on eBay but when I see Nigerian on my listing I always cancel the transaction.

The funny thing is that they will not pay but ask you to check your email for payment.

Yes oooo my brother ! It will be a shame if after spending donkeys years in Lagos, make I go fall maga to my own people again ! They supposed flog me !

Op, this is how the PayPal system works, when you buy goods, PayPal holds the money from getting to the buyer until it confirms the goods have been delivered and buyer is satisfied. Now the burden of proof rests on the seller to inform them the goods was delivered and ok ! I once bought Nike Gym shoes on eBay that ended up looking like something made from Ariaria Market in Aba, (apologies to my bros from the East), I lambasted the seller and escalated the issue to eBay, the seller did not agree o! However eBay read our message exchange and sent me an apology letter. They paid for the shipping back and refunded my complete money !

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by jones9ice: 12:02am On Jul 15, 2014
see what they did to you if say na scam dem won scam the oyinbo now with fake paypal confirmation he go ship fast without collecting moni so he wont dey form brainy abi make sure dem refund ur moni bak to use and

make sure you use Abile with dem

dem chop something strange ni
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by udemzyudex(m): 12:04am On Jul 15, 2014
Goldenboy007: Hmmmmm, This is the disadvantage of being the first set of people to try out a new system. Definetly the system would still have teething problem. I have done several businesses on eBay although I live in the US, some transaction went well and some did not. Be rest assured they will return your money if you have not breached any of their laws. Blaming them for tagging us a fraud? Tell that to our brothers in the yahoo yahoo business ! The funny thing is I; myself don't trust Nigerians even though i'm a bloody Nigerian too ! When I buy on eBay I screen off all sellers outside US because the fear of Nigerians, Indians, Chinese, Indonesians and their likes is the beginning of wisdom ! Its sad that in the virtual business world, the mention of that word "Nigeria" people take to their heels!!!

So US na saint?

3 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Ik09: 12:05am On Jul 15, 2014
EBay automatically locks most accounts any time a log in occurs from a Nigerian IP address. As far as I'm aware, that is part of their fraud prevention system.

Whenever I need to use my eBay account from Nigeria, I go through a vpn. Otherwise my account gets suspended - even if I don't do anything after logging in.
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by ojsenior: 12:08am On Jul 15, 2014
Never contact the seller outside ebay
Read the seller review before dealing.
Be consistent with the address you used in opening account
If you are in Nigeria, Pls dont request for money through paypal. Even if you are in USA, paypal will ask for you SSN before you can receive money.
Be ready to take a risk for any transaction not originating from USA.
Becareful of who you give your paypal information to.
Dont bid if you are not buying, don't scam because you may not be able to open another paypal account unless you have different gtb accounts in different names and ddifferent ate of birth.
Lastly, dont bame paypal or ebay for the restriction, I fear naija, Boys don do bad.

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Nobody: 12:10am On Jul 15, 2014
You should get your money back. EBay no day follow buyers play. Just see it through. I'm almost certain of that. I sell stuff on eBay and after getting burned, I av made it a point of duty to no longer sell to people outside US. A lot of buyers outside US will receive goods and claim they didn't (or it gets lost in the mail) and then file a complaint and eBay refunds them and collects the money from the seller so he loses his item and doesn't get paid. It's hard to do that in the US especially if you send your goods within the US and request delivery confirmation.

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Goldenboy007(m): 12:11am On Jul 15, 2014
Ik09: EBay automatically locks most accounts any time a log in occurs from a Nigerian IP address. As far as I'm aware, that is part of their fraud prevention system.

Whenever I need to use my eBay account from Nigeria, I go through a vpn. Otherwise my account gets suspended - even if I don't do anything after logging in.

Its sad! Can we blame them ? There was a time some online shopping websites won't even open in Nigeria but when you mask your IP it would. Zappos did that for a while but I think they have changed now.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Nobody: 12:13am On Jul 15, 2014
I really can't blame these sites. You have no idea how much damage yahoo boys have done to our reputation. It's saddening.

3 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by spikesC(m): 12:16am On Jul 15, 2014
EMEKA1MILLION: And this happened to me today

Why would you want to get a second hand qosmio at that price. It's almost the price of the new one naah
I would rather top up a little and get a new customized one (which am getting soon).

Pls choose and customize directly from toshiba: http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/qosmio

Also, i see a lot of lies in his description.
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by beejay1207(m): 12:19am On Jul 15, 2014
i am an experience member on ebay with more than 4years as a member, and with a very high rating. i want you to know to note the following.
1. your money is still with ebay
2. no seller recieves a dime until the goods are delivered to the buyer, and their is no complains (thats y ebay guarantees your money)
3. the seller relisted the item since he was not notified by paypal that you ve made payment for the item.
4. waiting till delivery date is just wasting of your time, as he will not ship any item to you.
5. more than 90% of sellers on ebay will not sell to any account with no rating( you have no rating since you said you just opened the account).
6. more than 50% of ebay sellers will not readily bsell to Nigerians especially when you dont have any ratings.
7. the good news is, you are still in control of your paypal acct, and you are talking to people at ebay,...keep pressurising them, cos they bhave your money, they will definately refund you. (if u must know, eBay owns paypal).

goodluck in your quest to recover your hard earned money.
drakeskull: Although, being aware of the kinds of ill-treatment most foreign countries subjects Nigerians to, I still went ahead to use services domiciled in those countries since it's legit and have no intention of fraud or whatsoever. I hope i get out of my present predicament.
Last month, I got an info on nairaland that paypal is now accepting Nigerians, extremely elated, I quickly opened an account even though I went through hassles setting it up due to various verification requirements. After successfully opening paypal, I went ahead to open an ebay account, setting up was quite easy, I linked my Gtb card and got confirmation my account has been activated.

Just about five days ago, I tried purchasing a item on a site even though my account couldn't cover up for the purchase, I just tried it to see if truly American sites would accept paypal payments from Nigeria. I got an error which is usual, I later got mails from paypal requesting me to verify my account again by sending my photo id, debit card and bank statement all scanned to them which I did and later got a mail the following day that my account is now fully operative.

Now to the major issue, I saw a phone on ebay at $275.00, though its a bid but i chose the 'buy it now' option, when i got to the checkout page, i got series of errors telling me i have limits to the number of items i can purchase or number of bids i could take part in. The funny thing isd i have never bidded before nor purchased on ebay. The only times i used ebay was year 2012 and 2013 when i purchased some items and it was though a forwarding company (myus.com). They carried out all the transactions and deducted the total from mt gtb card. Back to the issue, i google the cause of the ebay issue and found a solution which is for me to link my preferred payment method to my paypal which i had carried out earlier. I now had to link my gtb card again and the payment went through with confirmation mail.

About an hour later after successful payment which i got a mail to the effect as well as confirmation mail from paypal reflecting the deduction on my account, I received a shocking mail from ebay that my account has been suspended indefinitely due to some security reasons so as to protect buyers and sellers. I was furious, I didnt know what to do cos my account was now useless after debiting me, no way to track my purchase or contact the seller to request cancellation. I read online about the issue where ppl with same issue warned against opening another account or contacting the seller outside ebay cos ebay will find out if u open another account since it will be linked to current paypal account.

I held on and now decided to call their customer care line, I spoke for 19mins 38 secs, the agent apologised and requested me to send bank statement or utility bill or photo id reflecting the same address i used in opening my ebay account. Now, the problem is i used my office address to open the account and none of my utility bills or photo id reflects that. I later sent in the documents and extra ones like a letter informing them or my address issues via fax.

Early this morning, to my astonishment, I received a mail informing me that after reviewing my case, they realised their actions were correct and i will still remain suspended. I immediately called their line, spoke for 32 minutes, the agent apologized, verified my address and checked the transaction. She confirmed the seller even violated ebay policies. My pertinent question is how on earth should i be suspended for another persons acts? ebay even informed me after suspension that am no longer covered by their buyer protection meaning if the seller doesnt ship, its my biz (thats after receiving payment o). I was furious, asking her questions and showing my bitterness that how i wish i stuck to amazon.

She later assured me I will get my refund cos she has confirmed my account. She had to patch me thru to a rep in paypal and informed me to tell the rep i wanna file for claims. The paypal rep too confirmed my account and payment and adviced me to file for claims on paypal if the seller doesnt ship or ships the wrong item but i should wait till the date of estimated delivery time. She placed me on hold to check the estimated delivery time, after abt 4 minutes on hold, she informed me the seller didnt include it and thats another violation undecided.

THE MOST SURPRISING THING IF NOT THE MOST SCARY IS THE FACT THAT THE SELLER HAS RELISTED THE SAME ITEM ON EBAY. THE SAME ITEM THAT WAS SHOWING "SOLD" AFTER I PURCHASED IT .

This i pointed out to the reps which was confirmed as abnormal. I would wait till 20th or 21st of this month, if i dont get my item, na to file claim straight up.

I guess its high time we boycott all these countries that labels us as fraud or stop using their humiliating services even though they are bigger fraud themselves.

I will keep my fingers crossed till that date and update this thread as events unfold. This is really a bitter experience, going though loss of my hard earned money.

*****Matured Comments Only, Please*******

8 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by babseg(m): 12:20am On Jul 15, 2014
Goldenboy007:

Yes oooo my brother ! It will be a shame if after spending donkeys years in Lagos, make I go fall maga to my own people again ! They supposed flog me !

Op, this is how the PayPal system works, when you buy goods[b], PayPal holds the money from getting to the buyer until it confirms the goods have been delivered and buyer is satisfied. [/b]Now the burden of proof rests on the seller to inform them the goods was delivered and ok ! I once bought Nike Gym shoes on eBay that ended up looking like something made from Ariaria Market in Aba, (apologies to my bros from the East), I lambasted the seller and escalated the issue to eBay, the seller did not agree o! However eBay read our message exchange and sent me an apology letter. They paid for the shipping back and refunded my complete money !

This is not always true. A good seller like me always get my money first before sending it. EBay always release my money immediately
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by tunshe: 12:24am On Jul 15, 2014
BlackBaron:

This!
It's even more compounded due to Nigeria's status as a beehive of fraud hence their system flags you up especially when sending to a different address than on your PayPal/bank account.

Better off using a proxy. Saves a lot of stress...

Yeah! But its difficult for those who have no family and trusted friends here in the US.
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by SolidMoney: 12:27am On Jul 15, 2014
My experience was not as bad as that of the op. I had opened an eBay account in the past (cant remember the number of years ago) but never bothered to use it because most sellers required payment through PayPal. I initially thought I could use my debit card for transaction. How naïve I was then. However, when I heard PayPal had started accepting account opening from Nigeria, I quickly decided to reactivate my inactive eBay account by changing my password which I had forgotten. I had earlier successfully opened a PayPal account and linking my bank debit card.
The change of password was successful until in less than 24hrs I got an email from eBay that my eBay account had been suspended.
I didn't bother I decided to start on a fresh note by opening another eBay account using my alternative email, even though eBay warned me not to open another account even with a new email address, I went ahead all the same. Much to my chagrin my new eBay account was equally suspended in less than 6hrs.
I was angry, I immediately called up eBay, spoke for over 30mins and the account was reopened after their so called verification and much questioning.
I am yet to buy on eBay but I have sent money through PayPal on a couple of occasion and the experience has been worthwhile.
With the op's experience,I will think twice before buying on eBay. Amazon has always been my thing.
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Goldenboy007(m): 12:28am On Jul 15, 2014
babseg:

This is not always true. A good seller like me always get my money first before sending it. EBay always release my money immediately

Yes you are right, for a good seller with fantastic rating they give exceptions.
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by moonraker(m): 12:38am On Jul 15, 2014
Lol, This isnt a childish comment but the rule of thumb is that if you do not get an email from the seller within the next 24hours about your goods, then you should immediately file a dispute with paypal. Paypal will take it from there. Works everytime for me.
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by sonnie10: 12:40am On Jul 15, 2014
Believe me, as long as paypal is concerned, you do not have to worry about losing your money.
First from what you said, your shipping address is/was different from the one paypal has on their buyer protection record, so you are automatically not covered by buyers protection. Did you check if the seller ships international? communicate with the seller to find out if the item he relisted is the same item or maybe he/she had more than one.

Check estimated handling time posted on ebay (not shiping/delivery time). This would tell you how long the it would take the seller to ship and upload tracking info.
I would assume here that they requested for you bank card number just the same way they request for everyone's accounts- bank card info. They have to link your bank card with the paypal account. It is the same for every user including your sincerely!
If that was you first purchase using that account, the do some verification and mark your account as verified, because some people do not want to sell to unverified account holders.

Lastly, so that you have a picture of how these thing works, all these people depend on information, what ever information you give is what the have to work on.

Tips.
Make sure all your communication with the seller is through ebay massage platform.
Check ebay to see if transaction was cancelled, if it was, forward the message to paypal for refund.

Honestly, from what you stated, I can see so many mistakes on your part which as a new user you may not notice.
Lastly, you may want to use more of emails and the customer support tools e.g Resolution Center on ebay and paypal for communications. This would save you money for calls and also allows each customer representative to know the statues/history of whatever claims you have. once they take a look at your page.

N/B this is just my opinion and does not represent, as I do not represent the views or position of any party. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Nobody: 12:41am On Jul 15, 2014
bros them do u bad no doubt, but u wanna compare their customer care with our own that will tell u that he wasnt the one u spoke to the first time and he cant see your record grin grin grin, well like someone stated, write them, dont call, your email is an evidence cos it can be retrieved and used as evidence......
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by otikpoko(m): 12:46am On Jul 15, 2014
This is the issue i was arguing with someone before now, on nairaland.

I Was saying that since we cannot receive money through paypal, when a seller refuses to ship am item to you,it means your money is gone because you cannot receive money back with your paypal.

He argued that paypal will send it to your bank account bla bla bla...

I was like...na we Nigerians go dey fear make Oyibo man no dupe us?

A whole us? angry

In as much as some Nigerians are internet scammers does not mean we are all internet scammers!

Now this is my little advice for you.

Anytime you call thier customer service again, try to get a phone that can record your conversation(s).

Be cautious of what you say when discussing with the customer service, be polite (If possible get the name of the agent you are speaking with).

Since you are honest as you claim to be, i pray that you get your money back.

If possible,provide any information they may require to prove that you a genuine buyer.

However, if the agent calls you a scammer or anything of such nature, you can use that to file a case against then as regards Slander.

For now, what i do is to send item number(s) to a trusted person in the U.S, he buys my item(s) with his paypal card and send it down to Nigeria while i pay for Commission.

At least it is better than all this troubles we may face trying to use Nigerian paypal.

I just dey calculate like how much u go don spend for airtime, inconveniences, stress..et al just to get back your own Hard Earned Cash!

Its a pity.

*Following*

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Lexusgs430: 12:48am On Jul 15, 2014
I have been trading on eBay for over 10 years, with over 1500 positive feedbacks. I have never had a disputed transaction, that I did not get a 100% refund from PayPal.
Just log into your PayPal account, scroll to resolution center, state your case and await sellers response.
If seller does not respond after a couple of days, escalate claim.
Unfortunately, most sellers on eBay have heard stories or rumours, about fraudulent transactions from Nigeria, hence them excluding Nigeria in their listing or refusing to post items out. (we have no one to blame, but a few or majority, that has tarnished our reputation).

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by mikkeyjagger: 12:55am On Jul 15, 2014
This story is a big lie embarassed menh I almost got killed reading this story shocked
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Roland17(m): 12:56am On Jul 15, 2014
The agony of being a Nigerian or identifying with Nigeria..
Paypals authorization to do business with Nigeria might end up being short term owing to the notorious acts of scammers and the refusal of many sites and vendors to accept payments from Nigeria.
I sympathize with you, I pray u get your money back or item payed for.
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by BodyKiss(m): 1:09am On Jul 15, 2014
The effect of Yahoo-boys. How I hate those bastards.

3 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Sloan: 1:12am On Jul 15, 2014
KnuckleHead:

I had similar issues in the past, the seller failed to deliver and I was refund as soon as I opened a case.

Dont communicate with the seller outside ebay. If you have to do so via your ebay profile.

You can contact email via your ebay profile but you will need to be logged in first http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account/contact-customer-support.html

You are advising this Naija guy not to play too smart and violate their rules? Don't hold your breath because Nigerians usually think they are smarter only to be deported or lose their money! If not greed, you should have tested this out with a cheaper purchase to see if all pulls through and begin to build some reputation but trust Nigerian man, long throat made you jump at $ 275 phone purchase now it is hooking in your throat! grin grin

By the way, I thought Nigerians are praising the transformation agenda of the retardeenic PDP government which should have ensured that nonsense like this does not happen to a Nigerians? They will not try things like that here anyway!

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by 19naia(m): 1:20am On Jul 15, 2014
My friend in Nigeria wanted to buy something on Amazon, we talked on Facebook and he sent me the link to the Amazon page to see for myself...I went to amazon and ordered with my USA PayPal but i put the shipping address to his PoBox in Owerri city Nigeria.....He received the package there in due time via Nipost....Even if the sales are made to Nigerians, it will still be often sad stories of Nipost intercepting on the Nigerian mail handling side and looting any thing via eBay or Amazon.....
My friend was grateful for his package and i never asked him to repay me for the cost because it was small and i enjoyed gifting him something after so many years of not hearing from him or seeing him..
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by dtermined(m): 1:22am On Jul 15, 2014
Wondering how to make your dating profile enticing and how to keep the relationship going? Keep #6 in mind! http://dtermined.viralgalleries.me/how-to-make-someone-fall-for-you-online

It's okay to get a little jealous sometimes, but when is it dangerous? http://dtermined.viralgalleries.me/how-to-deal-with-jealousy-in-a-relationship

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by sonnie10: 1:22am On Jul 15, 2014
My understanding is that as long as transaction is not completed, paypal serves as escrow; holding your funds till transaction is completed. It is different from receiving money through paypal. They are only keeping your money in trust. So, Nigerian may not have problems getting refunds when sellers do not fulfil their obligations.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Nobody: 1:42am On Jul 15, 2014
Goldenboy007:

Op, this is how the PayPal system works, when you buy goods, PayPal holds the money from getting to the buyer until it confirms the goods have been delivered and buyer is satisfied. Now the burden of proof rests on the seller to inform them the goods was delivered and ok ! I once bought Nike Gym shoes on eBay that ended up looking like something made from Ariaria Market in Aba, (apologies to my bros from the East), I lambasted the seller and escalated the issue to eBay, the seller did not agree o! However eBay read our message exchange and sent me an apology letter. They paid for the shipping back and refunded my complete money !

That's absolutely not how PayPal works. What you described is an escrow service and PayPal is not an escrow service.

At best eBay/PayPal can charge your account.
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Leetunechi: 1:42am On Jul 15, 2014
desdichando: Wats wid the 'too long' comments most young 'uns seem to espouse here on nairaland..pls is the in-thing for youths now 'ignorance'? Is it now a fad not to be able to read?I'm kinda lost o
Some1 said once that to hide money from armed robber niggers,u hide it in a book..I dddnt believe it buh nowadays,it seems true

and this your comment is also to long tongue tongue
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by Nobody: 1:45am On Jul 15, 2014
Goldenboy007:

Yes you are right, for a good seller with fantastic rating they give exceptions.

Not true. They never hold your money.
Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by babseg(m): 1:46am On Jul 15, 2014
CityNG:

That's absolutely not how PayPal works. What you described is an escrow service and PayPal is not an escrow service.

At best eBay/PayPal can charge your account.

He's absolutely right only the bit that ebay will hold your money is not always true

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Shopping On Ebay!!! by babseg(m): 1:46am On Jul 15, 2014
CityNG:

Not true. They never hold your money.

You don't know anything about ebay. They hold your money as a seller

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Cosmas Maduka Coscharis Regrets Investing N1.7billion On Vehicle Assembly Plant / List Of Top Markets In Kano And The Distinct Items Being Sold / Naira Depreciates To N355/$

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.