Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,193 members, 7,818,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

The Mightiness Of God’s Name - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Mightiness Of God’s Name (17929 Views)

Dr. John Hagee: Women Who Call God’s Name During Sex Should Be Jailed / Pastor Picks On Women Who Scream God's Name During Sex / Vatican Bans Use Of God's Name! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by lilyafaten: 1:15pm On Jul 20, 2014
omonuan:

This is called begging the question in logic: you are just simply asking readers to accept a conclusion as true without offering a reason for doing so. Because your assertion assumes something to be true that actually requires proof, your assertion is merely circular.

You simply re asserted your premise as your conclusion without proving anything. Until you offer proof of your premise, they cannot function as reasons to justify other claims.

To see the folly here, the table could be turned by a nonbeliever who would then say: just because somebody says there is God does not mean there is God. The is the problem with begging the questions or fallacy of circular reasoning. Let me demonstrate what I mean:

Your claim is: "the fact that anybody feels there is no God does not mean that there is no God." "There is God" (reason). Now we can see that the reason offered to support the claim is really just a restatement of the claim and nothing else. It is a classical logical fallacy.

Your premise is actually no different from your conclusion.
Just enjoyed the logical reasoning, though we all know the truth, no one oppresses the truth, truth is supreme and it must be told. I give praise to the almighty God.
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jul 20, 2014
@op

And you dont know His name? What then is the purpose of writing?

HE IS JEHOVAH/YAHWEH (YHWH). Psalm 83:18. The most powerful NAME in the universe. A name that occurred about 7000 times in the bible.
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by dejilg(m): 1:32pm On Jul 20, 2014
seunbadmus:
It is not corruption of the name, but linguistics makes us understand that various names could have derivatives of sounds with various languages. When the white men called the Izon people Ijaw, it's a result of their accent. The yoruba will call Jesus, 'Jesu', etc...
in which language is "Jehovah" Pls
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by mjames: 1:40pm On Jul 20, 2014
GodMode: There is no God.. The sooner people realise there is no God the better it will be.

Look at the difference between religious countries and non-religious countries.

There is no God but there is a Creator.

The Creator does not see itself as a God.

People are still gonna give free money and parts of their income today in religious institutions today.

This is my opinion... you don't have to curse me.

You are already under a curse!

1 Like

Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by seunbadmus(f): 1:44pm On Jul 20, 2014
dejilg: in which language is "Jehovah" Pls
Latin... a derivative of the Hebrew Yahweh
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by chinex276(m): 2:19pm On Jul 20, 2014
Scyllapatron: the picture in that video is no other person but cardinal Cesare Borgia. christians fail to realize that the images they have in their churches and homes are portraits of cardinal Cesare Borgia.
take another look at the picture of jesus you have and observe the finger signs/symbols. ... the truth shall set you free.

if all Christians can be as smart|intelligent as u r, i think we'll all enjoy Christianity.
Christians have 2 know dis, Jesus have neva told or commanded us 2 make any image of him, either drawn or in a built statue, any1 who do it nd bow 2 it is an idol worshipper, our God is neva man made He is omni-presence, omniscience nd omnipotent.

KNOW THE TRUTH ND IT SHALL SET U FREEEEE!!!

1 Like

Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by dejilg(m): 2:27pm On Jul 20, 2014
seunbadmus:
Latin... a derivative of the Hebrew Yahweh

The origins for the composite term Jehovah came
from early English translators who transposed the
vowels from Adonai to the Tetragrammaton, and
read the word literally so that the Y in YHWH, was
pronounced as a J in English, and the W as a V.[1]
Taking the spellings at face value may have been as
a result of not knowing about the Q're perpetuum,
thus resulting in the term "Jehovah" and its
spelling variants. The Catholic Encyclopedia (1910)
states: "Jehovah (Yahweh), the proper name of God
in the Old Testament".[16] Had they known about
the Q're perpetuum, the term "Jehovah" might
never have come into being.[17] Emil G. Hirsch was
among the modern scholars that recognized
"Jehovah" to be "grammatically
impossible" ( Jewish Encyclopedia (1901), Vol VII,
p. 87).

The Hebrew scholar Wilhelm Gesenius [1786–1842]
had suggested that the Hebrew punctuation יַהְוֶה,
which is transliterated into English as "Yahweh",
might more accurately represent the pronunciation
of the Tetragrammaton than the Biblical Hebrew
punctuation " יְהֹוָה", from which the English name
"Jehovah" has been derived. His proposal to read
YHWH as "יַהְוֶה" (see image to the left) was based
in large part on various Greek transcriptions, such
as ιαβε, dating from the first centuries CE, but also
on the forms of theophoric names. In his Hebrew
Dictionary, Gesenius supports "Yahweh" (which
would have been pronounced [jahwe], with the
final letter being silent) because of the Samaritan
pronunciation Ιαβε reported by Theodoret, and
that the theophoric name prefixes YHW [jeho] and
YH [jo] can be explained from the form "Yahweh".
[22] Today many scholars accept Gesenius's
proposal to read YHWH as יַהְוֶה. Gesenius' proposal
gradually became accepted as the best scholarly
reconstructed vocalized Hebrew spelling of the
Tetragrammaton.

Why is Yahweh not English enuf? Consider the name Netanyahu---how do u handle it if u want d word "Jehovah" to be there instead of Yahweh which appears as a shortened form "yahu" as no creature can take d Divine Name?!
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by RoyaleR(m): 2:38pm On Jul 20, 2014
Ask4bigneyo: The God Almighty, Omnicompetent, Omniscient, Omnipotent, Omnifarious,
The lily of the valley, The All sufficient One, The Beginning and The Ending, I am that I am, The Alpha & Omega, Lord of lords,
The First & The Last, Rock of Ages, The prince of peace, Adonai,
The maker of heaven & earth, King of kings, Jehova Nissi, Jehova Elohim,
Jehova Shamah, The Unchangeable Changer, HE the Same Yesterday, Today & Forever, Mighty Man In Battle, Elshadi.....e.t.c

I Refrence Your Majesty Lord!
you forgot the ancient of days
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jul 20, 2014
Those who don't believe in God are definately those who avnt seen God at work in dia life or in d life of dose around dem. Only if they knew, dey wunt be spewing jargons
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by BOUNTYDOG(m): 3:21pm On Jul 20, 2014
chinex276:

if all Christians can be as smart|intelligent as u r, i think we'll all enjoy Christianity.
Christians have 2 know dis, Jesus have neva told or commanded us 2 make any image of him, either drawn or in a built statue, any1 who do it nd bow 2 it is an idol worshipper, our God is neva man made He is omni-presence, omniscience nd omnipotent.

KNOW THE TRUTH ND IT SHALL SET U FREEEEE!!!

God made man in his image?
It is men that made God in their own image
God is not in human form as most think
He is a spirit and can appear in any form just to pass a message unto you.
God is good all the time

1 Like

Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by delpee(f): 3:23pm On Jul 20, 2014
Oyigiyigi, alagbawi eda, alakoso orun, atofarati bi oke, asoro ma gbagbe, awimayehun, ologo julo, alade ogo, elewu iyi, Oba aterere kari aiye etc

Kabiyesi Baba!
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by ibnchokomah(m): 3:48pm On Jul 20, 2014
[There is no God.. The sooner people realise there is no God the better it will be.

People are still gonna give free money and parts of their income today in religious institutions today.

This is my opinion... you don't have to curse me.] Nice yhu believe there is a creator... I've heard several arguments about God.. I'm always open minded n lemme tell yhu I believe in the Trium Godhead.. Man for years have been looking for ways to feel a void.. we've invented many things and are still inventing more.. Yet dat void hasn't been filled yet.. trust me, you will knw wen dat there's no problem in d world.. Dat's wat God offers you..Jesus says cast your cares upon me... for my yoke is easy and my burden, light.. Dats what i did n i'm enjoying d best relationship of my life.. i don't care wat oda arguments are.(you are entitled to your opinions) I am an living proof dat Christ died for me and I have Jehovah Rohi wit me always.. God luvs yhu n He wants to fill dat void in our hearts.. to knw more, i advice we read John's epistle.. tnx

1 Like

Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by GodMode: 4:25pm On Jul 20, 2014
mjames:

You are already under a curse!

I'm blessed beyond the curse.

1 Like

Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by McGeorge1(m): 4:44pm On Jul 20, 2014
J12: Bullshít.
. Dis guy go soon die
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by smart134: 4:48pm On Jul 20, 2014
GodMode: There is no God.. The sooner people realise there is no God the better it will be.

This is my opinion... you don't have to curse me.

DO u have solid prove?
So u dnt believ in God?
Dnt err ppl's faith by sayin der is no God? Der is also no prophet 2 baa? So d earth formed it self?

Believe in God and Repent.!
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by GodMode: 4:50pm On Jul 20, 2014
Hmmm.
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by GodMode: 4:51pm On Jul 20, 2014
smart134:

DO u have solid prove?
So u dnt believ in God?
Dnt err ppl's faith by sayin der is no God? Der is also no prophet 2 baa? So d earth formed it self?

Believe in God and Repent.!

Try and Google cesare borgia jesus, click the first link. It should be yahoo answers site.

Then tell me your conclusion.
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by smart134: 5:01pm On Jul 20, 2014
GodMode:

Try and Google cesare borgia jesus, click the first link. It should be yahoo answers site.

Then tell me your conclusion.
Read 1john Chapter 2 to d End!
Bro..dnt bliv all dos story! Have wat der call an independent MIND..A mind of it Own! dnt be influence by wat u read..wat ppl tel u! The u actual beliv dat man was not created Too? Remb spiritual thing will lata manifest dem self
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by GodMode: 5:10pm On Jul 20, 2014
smart134:
Read 1john Chapter 2 to d End!
Bro..dnt bliv all dos story! Have wat der call an independent MIND..A mind of it Own! dnt be influence by wat u read..wat ppl tel u! The u actual beliv dat man was not created Too? Remb spiritual thing will lata manifest dem self

U say I shouldn't be influenced by what I read yet u refer me a bible chapter to read...

I have an independent mind. There's no God..

1 Like

Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 20, 2014
chrisviral:

God does not do evil but he allows for better goods to come

Oh really! seriously?

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things." ◄ Isaiah 45:7 ►

Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both calamities and good things come?◄ Lamentations 3:38 ►

"O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction, happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us - he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks." (Psalm 137:8-9 NIV)

But Job replied, "You talk like a foolish woman. Should we accept only good things from the hand of God and never anything bad?" So in all this, Job said nothing wrong."
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by smart134: 5:32pm On Jul 20, 2014
GodMode:

U say I shouldn't be influenced by what I read yet u refer me a bible chapter to read...

I have an independent mind. There's no God..
The Word of God made u what u are! Tellin u to read it..is doin u go...! The wans u read 4rm d NET are merely article written Man bt d bible came 4rm God! If u choose to bliv in Nature..i dnt blame u 4 dat...u Can doubt God..bt dat will nt change Him! Aft life...lets see! Dos wu dnt bliv..hav bin blinded by antichrist or he leav in dem!!
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by smart134: 5:35pm On Jul 20, 2014
omonuan:

Oh really! seriously?

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things." ◄ Isaiah 45:7 ►

Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both calamities and good things come?◄ Lamentations 3:38 ►

"O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction, happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us - he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks." (Psalm 137:8-9 NIV)

But Job replied, "You talk like a foolish woman. Should we accept only good things from the hand of God and never anything bad?" So in all this, Job said nothing wrong."

must of dos trial were simply a Test Of Faith! To strength our Faith.
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 20, 2014
lilyafaten:
Just enjoyed the logical reasoning, though we all know the truth, no one oppresses the truth, truth is supreme and it must be told. I give praise to the almighty God.

You are not alone brother. Thinking is hard for some. A lot of religious dogmas do not require logical reasoning and most if not all of the religious assertions on this thread and any where else are circular including your quote above. Usually, we fall into the trap of circular reasoning when we are arguing for something we’ve believed for a very, very long time without ever examining why we believe it.

It just “feels true" like you said, so when pressed for a reason, we reword the conclusion and offer it as a reason. This way of reasoning is fallacious of course but it is hard to figure for the proponent. Giving up long held belief that we have no proof for is hard. We just create a straw man usually an unverifiable higher being.

The challenge of addressing a circular argument is getting the proponent to examine the long-held assumption that functions in his mind as a reason for the conclusion. He'll resist letting go of that, though, because doing so leaves him with nothing but a "baseless claim," and he'll have to reexamine the issue and essentially start over.

In summary though, simply assuming a claim is true does not serve as evidence for that claim. This is especially clear in particularly blatant cases: "X is true. The evidence for this claim is that X is true."
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by phibah: 5:58pm On Jul 20, 2014
He is the
king of Glory,
El-Shaddai,
wonderful counsellor,
everlasting father,
prince of peace,
my redeemer,
my Rock,
my fortress,
our deliverer,
Lion of the tribe of Judah
, the bright morning star ,
the 4th man in the furnace,
ebube dike
Agu bata ohia, mgbada awara oso
Oka omee
Ikuku ama na onya
Echete obi esie ike
Ntanta mmiri na ezoru ora
Agbowo dike izu
Eze ana ekpesialu ogwu.
Dike na agha
Isi Iyi nke ndu
Nkume nke ebighi ebe
Otara nkata ose anu mmiri
Orimiri ata ata

Indeed only a fool says in his heart that there is no God.

God for life.

2 Likes

Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by btrocky09(m): 6:02pm On Jul 20, 2014
Ask4bigneyo: The God Almighty, Omnicompetent, Omniscient, Omnipotent, Omnifarious,
The lily of the valley, The All sufficient One, The Beginning and The Ending, I am that I am, The Alpha & Omega, Lord of lords,
The First & The Last, Rock of Ages, The prince of peace, Adonai,
The maker of heaven & earth, King of kings, Jehova Nissi, Jehova Elohim,
Jehova Shamah, The Unchangeable Changer, HE the Same Yesterday, Today & Forever, Mighty Man In Battle, Elshadi.....e.t.c

I Refrence Your Majesty Lord!
He's so Wonderful and He will never change....
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by asodeboyede(m): 6:09pm On Jul 20, 2014
I call Him' AROMOLARAN'!
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by jdilight(m): 6:22pm On Jul 20, 2014
jayseehe: funny enough, many Christians don't know his name, including OP
his name is Yahweh
he said thou shall not call my name in vain, that's why his name is hardly used, to avoid calling it in vain

BTW, FTC
Are you telling us so we can begin to call him in vain or what?
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by tonychristopher: 6:57pm On Jul 20, 2014
THE NAME OF GOD IS SO POWERFUL .JEHOVA EL SHADDAI ...TJE H.O.D AND GOD OF gods

thank Lord I am a christian
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jul 20, 2014
God Almighty is the Conquerer. HE is Jehovah. HE is the yolk destroyer. God is the Rock of Ages. HE is the third man in the fire. HE is THE MOST HIGH. HE is the CREATOR of the whole universe. HE is the Unchangeable GOD. HE is our Pillar of fire by day and pillar of cloud by night. HE is the Unshakeable GOD. HE iS THE GOD of all gods. HE is KING. HE is The Everlasting Father and The Ancient of Days. HE is the BALM in GILEAD. HE is the Rose of Sharon. HE is the Love of my life. I love you God cheesy
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by Egocent: 8:12pm On Jul 20, 2014
BadBoy25: Jesus christ is not as wicked as the fanatical religious bigots . Adolf Hitler has a better chance at heaven than a lot of these hypocrites .
I don't even go to church. I have my own belief and view .
ok so just because the bible says the spirit of God was moving in the waters and then said let there be light ,you believe thats actually what happened ? that story is actually metaphorical . God which is light has always existed for all time .
also the earth is not only 6000 years old . the noah story and other numerous stories in the bible are not meant to be taken literally .
the garden of eden was not on this physical earth,it was a spiritual realm.
the imperfect physical earth and physical realm is what was inherited after adam and eve sinned. no one really knows how adam and eve landed on this physical earth from the spiritual realm . maybe they just suddenly found themselves with bodies in a forest etc. a cherubim was sent to guard the gate of the garden after adam and eve were kicked out . all of adam's offspring must overcome the serpent and resist the apple (temptations and evil) in order to return to the garden of eden (Heaven)

Bros ! Where did you get this analogy from? You are very close to the truth. Did you know Scientists have recently just discovered that the earth is a hologram (you know what this means) ? and another recent discovery is that the black hole maybe a passage to another dimension. Search this out!
Re: The Mightiness Of God’s Name by gbengarock: 8:15pm On Jul 20, 2014
The fourth man in the fiery furnace...He is a consuming fire. The ALMIGHTY

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Back From The Dead: 300 Years Old Body Of A Saint Girl Opens Eyes. / A Song Only People That Attend Nigerian Churches Can Relate To / Have You Ever Been Blessed Through Tithing And Giving In Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.