Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,061 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:41 AM

History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu (4977 Views)

Very Interesting: America's Secret Files On Ojukwu. / The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel / Hon Patrick Obahiagbon On Ojukwu's Demise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jul 20, 2014
Obiagelli:
And the consequence of declaring independence is what?
Freedom n honour. 'better to die on your feet, than live on your knees'
Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jul 20, 2014
Danrizzle: Freedom n honour. 'better to die on your feet, than live on your knees'

i post this picture again
Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 20, 2014
Where Akintola and Awolowo on the same page, where MLK and Malcom X on the same page, where Booker T Washington and Web Du Bois on the same page?

We agree to disagree, you must not please everybody bc ideologies differ.

0merta:

Ojukwu, a hero? You sure?

And Anambra Igbos didn't deem it fit to vote him when he contested for the Senate twice; he even got floored by Jim Nwobodo, a Rookie in 1983...

And he never won a democratic election in his entire political career, even in Biafra states! The two times he contested for the Presidency in 2003 and 2007, if I ain't mistaken, he lost, even in Anambra, his home state...

In as much as most Igbos idolize him and revere him as a Hero, some Igbos actually hate him and wish he never came into existence, like My former Neighbour, Mr. Iheanacho. That Man no like to dey use ear hear about Ojukwu at all...

4 Likes

Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jul 20, 2014
Were Akintola and Awolowo on the same page, where MLK and Malcom X on the same page, where Booker T Washington and Web Du Bois on the same page?

0merta:

Ojukwu, a hero? You sure?

And Anambra Igbos didn't deem it fit to vote him when he contested for the Senate twice; he even got floored by Jim Nwobodo, a Rookie in 1983...

And he never won a democratic election in his entire political career, even in Biafra states! The two times he contested for the Presidency in 2003 and 2007, if I ain't mistaken, he lost, even in Anambra, his home state...

In as much as most Igbos idolize him and revere him as a Hero, some Igbos actually hate him and wish he never came into existence, like My former Neighbour, Mr. Iheanacho. That Man no like to dey use ear hear about Ojukwu at all...

1 Like

Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by vivalavida(m): 9:53pm On Jul 20, 2014
Obiagelli:
its actually a dilemma, at times i feel like we need to go our separate ways but we could equally be back to to the same state as we are today. I am yet to see a thriving African nation no matter how small, in fact the smaller the poorer and less relevant.
Biafra to me was Ojukwu’s personal beef because it wasn't well thought out. Reason why Zik stayed away.

Fool. That is what u are

4 Likes

Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by obayaya(m): 9:59pm On Jul 20, 2014
"History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle, but forgets the blood. However history remembers me before I was a President, it shall only remember a fraction of the truth." - Abraham Lincoln the Vampire Hunter
Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by PenSniper: 10:20pm On Jul 20, 2014
Obiagelli:
was the war well thought out?
Was the war winnable?
Was the war a struggle for power?
Why did Ojukwu reject advice from other igbo leaders to stop the war
What Was Ojukwu desperate about

The simple and stark truth is that Ojukwu had a feeling of superiority complex towards Gowon, so rather than accept the latter's leadership, decided to gamble for power using his own people as sacrificial lambs. But this truth, can only be acceptable to a sane mind. It was this truth that made Ojukwu turn deaf ears to wise counsel, history and prevailing circumstances. It was the realization of this truth that made Awolowo risk his life against all wise counsel to travel to the east to make Ojukwu see reasons that he was headed for a suicidal mission. A later discovery of this truth made Victor Banjo, Emma Ifeajuna, etc to see sense in stopping the war to prevent further bloodshed but got executed by power drunk Ojukwu. It was all power play between Gowon and Ojukwu- seniority in the army. Senility, propaganda, morbid hatred and outright mischief made elders like Chinua Achebe compromise the truth in writing the trash - There was a country - to pollute an already foul atmosphere. Honestly, these are no leaders to be celebrated. The Yoruba say that a worthy elder, facing imminent departure, does not defecate the seat he leaves behind thus giving those behind him the task of clearing the stench.

1 Like

Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by EasternLeopard: 10:21pm On Jul 20, 2014
Obiagelli:
Even though this thread isn't about gowon, what would you have had him do.

Ask for another Aburi
Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by obayaya(m): 10:22pm On Jul 20, 2014
GenBuhari: One man fought a war to protect give his people's independence and protect them from ongoing massacres.

Another man fought a war to protect boundaries that were drawn by his colonial masters and further more started the war at the prompting of the same colonial masters who gave him support and weapons to kill his fellow African brothers.

Who deserves more respect?

Danrizzle: Freedom n honour. 'better to die on your feet, than live on your knees'
Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by PenSniper: 10:35pm On Jul 20, 2014
EasternLeopard:

So what are yorubas planning now that BH have struck Lagos.

The success of any mission involves the total blackout and exclusion of those not involved in the project. If the goodman of the house knew when his house would be invaded, he would've prepared for it, so said the Lord Jesus.

1 Like

Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by Nobody: 7:38am On Jul 21, 2014
PenSniper:

The simple and stark truth is that Ojukwu had a feeling of superiority complex towards Gowon, so rather than accept the latter's leadership, decided to gamble for power using his own people as sacrificial lambs. But this truth, can only be acceptable to a sane mind. It was this truth that made Ojukwu turn deaf ears to wise counsel, history and prevailing circumstances. It was the realization of this truth that made Awolowo risk his life against all wise counsel to travel to the east to make Ojukwu see reasons that he was headed for a suicidal mission. A later discovery of this truth made Victor Banjo, Emma Ifeajuna, etc to see sense in stopping the war to prevent further bloodshed but got executed by power drunk Ojukwu. It was all power play between Gowon and Ojukwu- seniority in the army. Senility, propaganda, morbid hatred and outright mischief made elders like Chinua Achebe compromise the truth in writing the trash - There was a country - to pollute an already foul atmosphere. Honestly, these are no leaders to be celebrated. The Yoruba say that a worthy elder, facing imminent departure, does not defecate the seat he leaves behind thus giving those behind him the task of clearing the stench.
captured my exact thoughts.
Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 21, 2014
where is the freedom. Zik could have achieved biafra without needless waste of lives.
Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by PenSniper: 7:59am On Jul 21, 2014
Obiagelli:
captured my exact thoughts.

I fell in love with your original post. Please keep it up - the truth, always the truth and nothing but the truth. Truth is a jewel to have and to cherish. It stands you in good stead when you least expect.

1 Like

Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by tomakint: 8:32am On Jul 21, 2014
VICTORCIZA: obiageli please read nairaland rule 14 and 18.
Ojukwu to us is a hero, you have every right to your opinion after all you are from southwest but as far as ndi igbo is concerned Ojukwu is an iroko who command respect even at death!
hold on to your opinion if it makes you happy but i am not buying it
Worry not my guy, she is pro-Zik so her sentiment is clearly understood. Ojukwu remains a true legend till tomorrow and a defender of the oppressed!

6 Likes

Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by 0merta(m): 8:44am On Jul 21, 2014
IgboMonk: Where Akintola and Awolowo on the same page, where MLK and Malcom X on the same page, where Booker T Washington and Web Du Bois on the same page?

You're absolutely right, you know! We sure agree to disagree, and disagree to agree!

My point is that NOT all Igbos like Ojukwu...There are Millions of Igbos out there that still hate him even in Death. That's the point I was trying to prove to the Nigger I quoted!

Try and get My point or fucck off!...
Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by tng(f): 9:02am On Jul 21, 2014

God bless you! this is exactly what it was particularly the bolded.

1 Like

Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by Nobody: 11:00am On Jul 21, 2014
i hope seun gives us history section someday, maybe there would be less tension there.
Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by youngmonie: 11:42am On Jul 21, 2014
They love him so much he has lost all the elections he contested since 1999 even in his beloved SE......**sigh**
Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jul 21, 2014
^^^^ i think i will leave you for the mods.
Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by VICTORCIZA(m): 1:05pm On Jul 21, 2014
tomakint:
Worry not my guy, she is pro-Zik so her sentiment is clearly understood. Ojukwu remains a true legend till tomorrow and a defender of the oppressed!
exactly
Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by Ojiofor: 1:46pm On Jul 21, 2014
Obiagelli is by no means pro Zik.She is typical awoist hiding under false pretence to attack Ojukwu. Btw,Zik was in full support of Biafra independent struggle and even composed her national anthem he left Biafra in 1969 when it became certain the battle is lost.M.I. Okpara was Ojukwu's political adviser and even went into exile with him.
Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jul 21, 2014
Ojiofor: Obiagelli is by no means pro Zik.She is typical awoist hiding under false pretence to attack Ojukwu. Btw,Zik was in full support of Biafra independent struggle and even composed her national anthem he left Biafra in 1969 when it became certain the battle is lost.M.I. Okpara was Ojukwu's political adviser and even went into exile with him.
you are entitled to your opinion, have you read Zik's letters to ojukwu during the war. There are more tactical ways of achieving independence, Ojukwu messed everything up, killed more people, achieved nothing and fled.
Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by Ojiofor: 2:03pm On Jul 21, 2014
Obiagelli:
you are entitled to your opinion, have you read Zik's letters to ojukwu during the war. There are more tactical ways of achieving independence, Ojukwu messed everything up, killed more people, achieved nothing and fled.
Did his letters to Ojukwu stop him from travelling around the world to canvas support for Biafra war efforts?
Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jul 21, 2014
Ojiofor: Did his letters to Ojukwu stop him from travelling around the world to canvas support for Biafra war efforts?
in your earlier post, you explained why he withdraw from the biafra campaign so why are you sounding like he campaigned all his life? Ojukwu messed a perfect opportunity
Re: History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu by filiks(m): 2:08pm On Jul 21, 2014
Let me start by saying this; history is always one-sided and totally biased, it is often tilted towards the thought, believe and level of knowledge and understanding of the writer of such piece of history.

I personally fault Ojukwu for leading the Igbos to that war, considering the fact that he had a good knowledge of the material and human resources available to both Nigeria and Biafra.

But any piece of history that tells Ojukwu's story can never be complete without mentioning the role he played in the failed coup of 1966 that is today referred to as the 'Igbo coup'. Aguiyi and Ojukwu foiled that coup but most people tell the story, completely and conveniently editing that part of history. Maybe it will be just fair to call it 'THE IGBO COUP FOILED BY IGBOS'. He also executed Ifeajuna(the nigga that tried taking over Lagos during that coup), He was not applauded, in fact Aguiyi was killed soon after as a reward for his job!

The role Ojukwu played in the 1966 coup was actually the reason why he was naturally angry when the killings of the ordinary Igbos, going about their businesses in the north, was 'okay' to the then government. For these, the Igbos love and respect him.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Israel PM Visits Russia Over Army Buildup In Syria / What Southeast Governors Would Have Told Nnamdi Kanu / FG Takes New Decision On Amotekun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.