Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,968 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships (30378 Views)

My Advice His greatest undoing. / Reasons Why Ladies Like Sex But Pretend They Hate It In Relationships / Reasons Why Many Guys Insist On Getting Into Ladies' Pants In Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by mcdokwe(m): 10:45am On Jul 25, 2014
Often times, we do meet people and fall in love with them despite their many shortcomings. Unfortunately, most books and articles we read these days tell us not to try to change people we are in a relationship with. This has however become the undoing of many unhappy relationships and marriages today, as people don't want to be CHANGED.
The fact is that someone can get committed to a terrible flirt, a drunkard, criminal, an abusive man, nagging woman and other shortcomings, but no one would want to have to cope with your vices for life.

I am of the honest belief that we get into people's life to impact them and bring about a positive behaviour in them even though that shouldn't be motivated by the desire to change the person. Such behaviour modification should come about with love and openness between both parties.

If you happen to have an undesirable character your partner is having a hard time coping with, make yourself amenable to change unless you want your partner to be unhappy thereby making yourself unhappy too. (Now that is a horrible decision to make) friendship should be fun and when it is not, it should be two people commonly dealing with a challenge and not people struggling to stay together.

91 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by Oxone(m): 11:26am On Jul 25, 2014
If you cant influence anyone you're with positively and push them to be better, then you must be doing something wrong but you have to be realistic in your expectations and the way you go about effecting that change. Key thing here should be communication & Approach

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by Summersland(m): 11:51am On Jul 25, 2014
Atigbo eeeee,osheeeeeee

1 Like

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jul 25, 2014
mcdokwe: Often times, we do meet people and fall in love with them despite their many shortcomings. Unfortunately, most books and articles we read these days tell us not to try to change people we are in a relationship with. This has however become the undoing of many unhappy relationships and marriages today, as people don't want to be CHANGED.
The fact is that someone can get committed to a terrible flirt, a drunkard, criminal, an abusive man, nagging woman and other shortcomings, but no one would want to have to cope with your vices for life.

I am of the honest belief that we get into people's life to impact them and bring about a positive behaviour in them even though that shouldn't be motivated by the desire to change the person. Such behaviour modification should come about with love and openness between both parties.

If you happen to have an undesirable character your partner is having a hard time coping with, make yourself amenable to change unless you want your partner to be unhappy thereby making yourself unhappy too. (Now that is a horrible decision to make) friendship should be fun and when it is not, it should be two people commonly dealing with a challenge and not people struggling to stay together.

Sometimes people are not ready for the change so all your efforts to motivate them will lead to constant friction. Everyone grows at their own pace and some people will not grow since you cannot force things you either accept them as they are or you walk away.

In all things its always better to be the change you want to see.

31 Likes

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by chidimarc(m): 9:48am On Jul 27, 2014
andromida:

Sometimes people are not ready for the change so all your efforts to motivate them will lead to constant friction. Everyone grows at their own pace and some people will not grow since you cannot force things you either accept them as they are or you walk away.

In all things its always better to be the change you want to see.
it is all about choice like you said, but some people want to be in relationships but don't want to have adaptive behaviours to the expectations of their partners

10 Likes

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 27, 2014
chidimarc: it is all about choice like you said, but some people want to be in relationships but don't want to have adaptive behaviours to the expectations of their partners

Love is about acceptance. Yes you can inspire a person to change but rather than get with someone with plans to change him or her it is better to accept the person as is. If you cannot accept the person walk away.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by dBard: 12:42pm On Jul 27, 2014
My biggest issue with that statement has always been; If u expect someone to love u as u are, then try t make d person u are one someone can easily n comfortably love.
Anything outside that is just selfish n wicked.

24 Likes

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by superior1: 12:51pm On Jul 27, 2014
A statement common with people with terrible character

66 Likes

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by youngice(m): 12:53pm On Jul 27, 2014
I think when we say 'love me as i am' we refer to the naturl shortcomings not the 'acquired'.
A drug addict cant come and tell me to love her as she is, but if its a blind person , something that happened without preordinance of course i will love you the way you are

77 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by canalily(m): 12:53pm On Jul 27, 2014
...When the perfect comes the imperfect wil run away...

2 Likes

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by sexylogan(m): 12:54pm On Jul 27, 2014

OP, before you love anyone, you must first love yourself.

In the end, we only regret the chances;
-we didn’t take,
-relationships we were afraid to have
-and the decisions we waited too long to make.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jul 27, 2014
grin
Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by ichidodo: 12:55pm On Jul 27, 2014
That can apply to me if your father is Akpabio or Dangote...

3 Likes

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by Fatdon(m): 12:55pm On Jul 27, 2014

1 Like

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by Akbee(m): 12:56pm On Jul 27, 2014
okay
Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by BRAV0O(m): 12:56pm On Jul 27, 2014
That's why you have to be playing the real you role in any relationship cuz no matter how imperfect u ar , there are still pple out there who will care for u and love u just the way you are , unconditionally.
But if you have being hiding under mask and pretending to be who u ar not in any relationship, is like u ar caging urself. And u will end up frustrated so by the time u won't be able to hide ur real self any more was where the problem ly
Some may turns u down today cus of who u ar pls dnt stop being real you

Never change for no 1.

6 Likes

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jul 27, 2014

13 Likes

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by olempe(m): 12:57pm On Jul 27, 2014
Oxone: If you cant influence anyone you're with positively and push them to be better, then you must be doing something wrong but you have to be realistic in your expectations and the way you go about effecting that change. Key thing here should be communication

Word!
Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jul 27, 2014
none of my bizness tho

1 Like

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by spikesC(m): 1:00pm On Jul 27, 2014
If you don't want your character to change so as to build a mutual and understanding relationship, then your relationship status should also remain unchanged undecided

8 Likes

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by Tymax(m): 1:02pm On Jul 27, 2014
superior1: A statement common with people with terrible character
Exactly... And they have no desire to change.

10 Likes

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by PastorOluT(m): 1:02pm On Jul 27, 2014
Truly said
Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by sammieguze(m): 1:03pm On Jul 27, 2014
Hmmmmmmmmm....
Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by rattlesnake(m): 1:04pm On Jul 27, 2014
You dont understand the CONCEPT...PEOPLE ARE IMPRISONED by their on personality...have u heard of this disorder before

Bi-Polar
Borderline disorder
Multiple personality disorder

this is when TWO people share the same mind
..the danger of trying to "change" people is that you will be creating a two head moster

the other day i went to see a friend of mine but when i go to his house he was sitting outside inside his car....i asked him what hez doing outside he tole me he happy that i came that he even wants to leave the house BECAUSE HIS OWN FRIEND WAS INSIDE THE ROOM HAVING A Three SOME WITH two RUNS GIRL....
To my amazement i noticed HIS FRIEND WAS A GUY I ALSO KNOW...THE GUY IS MARRIED..Very cool decent guy and his wife is even a lecturer the daughter of a ex bank MD.....The guy and the wife looks like a perfect match...so to discover this GUY HAS ANOTHER PERSONALITY OUTSIDE THE SEE DECENT FAMILY FATHER AND DAD(THEY HAVE A DAUGHTER) is a mystery

the summary is

the DEVIL YOU KNOW IS ALWAYS BERRA THAT THE ANGEL YOU DONT KNOW...

Maraige and relationship is NOT FOR ANYONE AND EVERYONE
IF U CANT LIVE WITH PEOPLE AS YOU MET THEM THEM LOOK FOR ANOTHER PERSON OR AUCTION THE LOVE ON SOCIAL MEDIA undecided undecided undecided
IT is for your own Good

4 Likes

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by dhardline(m): 1:04pm On Jul 27, 2014
Since today is sunday i'll like to look at this issue from a christlike point of view.If you want people to love you just the way you are you should remember that the bible says that 'all have sinned' and christ came to redeem us hence this redemption will have to make us better people in character,words and thoughts.So a person who truly loves you will definitely want you to be a better person and hence try to change you to be a better person.p.s. If u want to remain the way you are then you actually are saying that Christ didnt die for you.

8 Likes

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by TRADELYN: 1:06pm On Jul 27, 2014
Period!
youngice: I think when we say 'love me as i am' we refer to the naturl shortcomings not the 'acquired'.
A drug addict cant come and tell me to love her as she is, but if its a blind person , something that happened without preordinance of course i will love you the way you are

2 Likes

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by Ask4bigneyo(m): 1:08pm On Jul 27, 2014
Today is Sabbath Day while Some are busy celebrating Festival of rice and chicken! It is NOT meant for discussion like this...
Therefore,

1 Like

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by Deehvahrzz(f): 1:08pm On Jul 27, 2014
I believe that when you are in love with people, you try as much as you can to be a better person for them. Its not healthy though for you to go into a relationship hoping to change someone. There will be lots of heart break involved. I believe people should try to get to know each other and decide wether you can deal with the attributes or characteristics.
Am a firm believer of getting to know someone's terrible and irritating part and deciding if u can deal with it or not. The good part, would come as a bonus for all your hard work.
Get into a relationship to Ve fun, grow and learn and impact someone in a gud way.

4 Likes

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by Jovie: 1:08pm On Jul 27, 2014
standd: Love is far far away from the hearts of people these days (especially in the context of relationships)
Anyway, I can NOT imagine dating a thief who would want me to love him as he is....That kind of love is for the gods, not men.

Honestly, a good relationship must make d parties involved beta in some way. Even with all God's unconditional love, He doesnt try to keep people the same way he met them...

3 Likes

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by kissyluvj: 1:09pm On Jul 27, 2014
Love dey say its a decision. U must ve dat in mind even from adam dat ur partner aint perfect. And in d midst of d imperfection, u shud ve dat patience to correct wit love and not with scolding or shouting.dis whole concept shud best b seen as two people people who re willing to learn frm each other and also willing to teach each other with open heart. D moment u start shouting, screaming or scolding at ur partner, dat simply depict u re perfect which no one is!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Me As I Am: The Greatest Undoing In Relationships by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jul 27, 2014
dhardline: Since today is sunday i'll like to look at this issue from a christlike point of view.If you want people to love you just the way you are you should remember that the bible says that 'all have sinned' and christ came to redeem us hence this redemption will have to make us better people in character,words and thoughts.So a person who truly loves you will definitely want you to be a better person and hence try to change you to be a better person.p.s. If u want to remain the way you are then you actually are saying that Christ didnt die for you.

Well said.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Hausa Couple Who Met On Twitter Weds In Abuja (photos) / Ideal Man (for the women) / Is It The Duty Of Men To Initiate The I LOVE YOU Statement?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.