Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,139 members, 7,811,206 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:34 AM

Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga (39123 Views)

Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! / View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. / Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Amhappy(f): 4:47pm On Jul 31, 2014
Bootybuttchic: i dont think i can sight any hatred from dat guys write up....hes only saying truth,and we shldnt hide dat fact...moreover talking about fairness amongst woman an children,where in nigeria or what part of the world are women and children not treatrd fairly apart from arabians countries,andsome parts in the north,and mind u those who maltreat women in d north are mostly uneducated and ignorant people who claim to do that on the basis of religion

cos the nigeria i live,women are allowed to vote,when on a queue even guys be like ladies first,a guy will always help a girl in need,hitting a woman is never done,a man will tell his wife to take care of the home and his kids,so dat they will have a good childhood while he wll go runninh and working to provide for the family.....et all

cos like seriously i dont know where u guys get this dumb opinion from,tho am a fan of ngozi but i cant go down d drain with,d funny thing is she isnt even married to a nigerian,...and most of the nigerian feminist claiming shiitt av never left the shores of this country not to talk of marryin a foreigner....they will defo marry a nigerian and i bet you dey wont play the feminist ishh once in their marriage time,hypocrites kip wanting to deceive other nigerian females,.,,smh

Well that your opinion my dear lady. I strongly disagree that there are no other place in Nigeria apart from the North, where women/children suffers unfair treatment. Men suffers unfair treatment in your community sef not to talk of women and children. Even though ignorance contributes, know that even the so called elites treats people unfairly. Unfair treatment is as a result of wickedness,selfishness and poor judgement. All over the world people still suffer unfair treatment. I live in Nigeria and will tell you that our poor legal structure allows this to thrive. As i said earlier,i neither understand feminism and nor believe in it. What i believe is that every man,woman and child are precious and equal(His image) in Gods eyes and should be treated fairly. It is impossible for people to be treated equally.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by TV01(m): 4:50pm On Jul 31, 2014
In the West these days, one has to be “onside” of the prevailing ideology of the day. Otherwise the establishment rejects you. The establishment being that power working through the elites in politics, media, business, entertainment and the like, who, unseen too many, are working towards a common goal. I won’t speculate here on just what that goal might be.

Being offside or resisting enforcement of the prevailing tenetss or ideologies (read some elements of feminism and it’s twin homosexual equality) will get you brow beaten. If you do not toe the line, you will be “mob bullied” – by the attack dogs of the same establishment – shamed into silence, and effectively shut-out or ostracised.

It’s similar to – and somewhat exposed by - her later utterances on homosexuality, which were in lock-step with the US’ threats to Nigeria over – at the time – proposed legislation. New style imperialism – with the same ends.

Adichies utterances are just another method by which the establishment operates.. This was propaganda. She’s been bought and what we see is her selling out. I thought the OP was a bit off in how it was presented regardless of any valid points made. I actually think the rejoinder was poor overall.

But the speech itself was merely a string of anecdotes, aimed at painting the situation in Nigeria in the worst light possible. Where were the stats, the numbers or the evidence? Only an implied negative comparision to the West and Feminism as the solution.

Apart from the West “harvesting” her when she was all but ripe, did she not come up through the Nigerian system? Is she not a product of Nigerian parents, education and culture?

For every evil identified by “feminism” in Nigeria, I could identify one caused by feminism or other aspects of the prevailing culture in the West. And at an anecdotal level, Damiso has countered a lot of what Adichie claimed.

Do we have structural problems? Yes. Is feminism the answer? No. Are there things we could glean or even incorporate from the West culturally? Sure. Do we need to toss out what we have wholesale as useless, redundant and without value? Absolutely not.

Yes, we have some entrenched mindsets, attitudes and mores which we will be best rid of. We are in fact already shot of many of these, what we are seeing in some instances is vestigial remains. With time we will see further improvement, even if we do nothing else

Nigeria is progressing in some regards. Let’s remember, that the effect of any changes take time to trickle through. And some of the ones being pushed by Adichie and her Western sponsors are simply not beneficial and not wanted here. The fact that she needs to denigrate her culture to sell them speaks volumes.

TV

4 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by fantasia200(f): 5:03pm On Jul 31, 2014
freshdude2: This is the third time I'm saying this on nairaland, there is no such thing as marginalisation of women in this country, well, maybe except the north. Women have it easier than men in this country. They have almost everything on a platter.
do u live in this country (Nigeria)?
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pickabeau1: 5:05pm On Jul 31, 2014
TV01: In the West these days, one has to be “onside” of the prevailing ideology of the day. Otherwise the establishment rejects you. The establishment being that power working through the elites in politics, media, business, entertainment and the like, who, unseen too many, are working towards a common goal. I won’t speculate here on just what that goal might be.

Being offside or resisting enforcement of the prevailing tenetss or ideologies (read some elements of feminism and it’s twin homosexual equality) will get you brow beaten. If you do not toe the line, you will be “mob bullied” – by the attack dogs of the same establishment – shamed into silence, and effectively shut-out or ostracised.

It’s similar to – and somewhat exposed by - her later utterances on homosexuality, which were in lock-step with the US’ threats to Nigeria over – at the time – proposed legislation. New style imperialism – with the same ends.

Adichies utterances are just another method by which the establishment operates.. This was propaganda. She’s been bought and what we see is her selling out. I thought the OP was a bit off in how it was presented regardless of any valid points made. I actually think the rejoinder was poor overall.

But the speech itself was merely a string of anecdotes, aimed at painting the situation in Nigeria in the worst light possible. Where were the stats, the numbers or the evidence? Only an implied negative comparision to the West and Feminism as the solution.

Apart from the West “harvesting” her when she was all but ripe, did she not come up through the Nigerian system? Is she not a product of Nigerian parents, education and culture?

For every evil identified by “feminism” in Nigeria, I could identify one caused by feminism or other aspects of the prevailing culture in the West. And at an anecdotal level, Damiso has countered a lot of what Adichie claimed.

Do we have structural problems? Yes. Is feminism the answer? No. Are there things we could glean or even incorporate from the West culturally? Sure. Do we need to toss out what we have wholesale as useless, redundant and without value? Absolutely not.

Yes, we have some entrenched mindsets, attitudes and mores which we will be best rid of. We are in fact already shot of many of these, what we are seeing in some instances is vestigial remains. With time we will see further improvement, even if we do nothing else

Nigeria is progressing in some regards. Let’s remember, that the effect of any changes take time to trickle through. And some of the ones being pushed by Adichie and her Western sponsors are simply not beneficial and not wanted here. The fact that she needs to denigrate her culture to sell them speaks volumes.

TV

The bolded is d major issue I have with her
Her need to comment on anything and everything especially with no factual basis

As you rightly noted, damiso made some poignant comments and you can see the depth of her knowlege of the matter being reflected
For the bandwagoners.. i rest my case

When a new white driven ideology, our ladies will always fall in... sad
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by yuzedo: 5:05pm On Jul 31, 2014
SWEET GOD OF ALL THINGS LEGIT!!! shocked shocked shocked

This article hit all 12-corners of my triangular heart!! I meannnn!!!! Gaddemm!!! shocked

I was at a Commemorative Lecture in 2013 with my former-almost girlfriend-and-100-yards-of-wife-material, the beautiful MOD brethreness *******, and (un)fortunately, Mrs. Miss Adichie was the guest of honor/chief speaker in a hall full of distinguished statesmen. My embarrassment knew no bounds when Madam was showered ALL the goddam adulation and effervescent worship for the 4hr duration of the lecture, by all, including the celebrant/convener, to the complete detriment of the one whom we were there to commemorate, the celebrant's late father.

Was madam abashed by all the fawning? Hell no! She exploited the occasion to the full, launching into yet another monotone on everything and nothing, and in utter confusion, I was forced to ask my date WHOM I HAD INVITED, Is this why we are here? undecided

My honest albeit un-sought and perhaps irrelevant opinion of Madam Adichie is that she is a tad overrated and tremendously immodest. She enjoys the worship, but has not reached a stage where she can be humble and gracious about it, quite unlike the true masters (Achebe & Kongi). Luckily in this generation, very much different from theirs, it is unlikely to affect her trajectory of progress and recognition, simply because attention (deserved or not) is the currency we deal in today. (ask the talentless Kardashians if you doubt my words).

I hope she continues (for the sake of good literature) to deliver on her works, a quality to equal or surpass Half of a Yellow Sun (her tour de force, in my objective opinion).. Prior and Subsequent efforts have not measured up to this beautiful book, but I refuse to blame that on her loquacious and uber-skewered opinions that no-goddamn-body asked her about. undecided

On a final note, pray, who or what wrote this article?? An 11/10 score does zero justice to literature so complete in logic, facts, presentation, validity and balance.

...... I bet a man wrote it. Women aren't this talented. tongue (I kid!......... or do i?) wink

- Yuzedo is a part-time Pörn Collector & full-time fine boy wink grin, and writes from Banana Iceland, Ikoyi.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pickabeau1: 5:08pm On Jul 31, 2014
His name is Oluchukwu Aloysius-Gonzaga Nwikwu (https://www.facebook.com/oluchukwualoysiusgonzaganwikwu)

yuzedo: SWEET GOD OF ALL THINGS LEGIT!!! shocked shocked shocked

This article hit all 12-corners of my triangular heart!! I meannnn!!!! Gaddemm!!!

I was at a Commemorative Lecture in 2013 with my former-almost girlfriend, the beautiful MOD brethreness *******, and (un)fortunately, Mrs. Miss Adichie was the guest of honor/chief speaker in a hall full of distinguished statesmen. My embarrassment knew no bounds when Madam was showered ALL the goddam adulation and effervescent worship for the 2hr duration of the lecture, by all including the celebrant, to the complete detriment of the one whom we were there to celebrate.

Was madam abashed by all the fawning? He'll no. She exploited the moment to the full, launching into yet another monotone on everything and nothing, and in utter confusion, I was forced to ask my date WHOM I HAD INVITED, is this why we are here?

My honest albeit un-sought and perhaps irrelevant opinion of Madam Adichie is that she is a tad overrated and tremendously immodest. She enjoys the worship, but has not reached a stage where she can be humble and gracious about it, quite unlike the true masters (Achebe & Kongi). Luckily in this generation, very much different from theirs, it is unlikely to affect her trajectory of progress and recognition, simply because attention (deserved or not) is the currency we deal in today. (ask the talentless Kardashians if you doubt my words)

I hope she continues (for the sake of literature) to deliver on her works, a quality to equal or surpass Half of a Yellow Sun (her tour de force in my opinion).. Prior and Subsequent efforts have not measured up, but I refuse to blame that on her loquacious and uber-skewered opinions nobody asked her about.

On a final note, pray, who or what wrote this article?? An 11/10 score does zero justice to literature so complete in logic, facts, presentation, validity and balance.

...... I bet a man wrote it. Women aren't this talented. :-P

- Yuzedo is a part-time Pörn Collector & full-time fine boy, and writes from Banana Iceland, Ikoyi.

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jul 31, 2014
cococandy: For the one that can't resist any thread with my moniker on it.
It's good and fine to call me names and insult me without provocation.

I hope you won't start yelping like a trapped hyena when and if I decide to give you just a quarter for each dollar you give wink wink

OP call your hound to order,so he doesn't give you a 'healthy' derailment on this your thread.

And like I said, maybe female gender suppression is not an issue
Since it is mostly but not only restricted to the north (the same north that is 60 percent of Nigeria). As long as we have a few places where women are given as much recognition and respect as men.then it'all good

'Healthy functioning brain indeed'

I'll ignore your dumbass$ for now.
Dear feminist,
The female gender oppression you opine is simply religious and not a culture thing. It is especially common with the Hausa-fulani MUSLIMS. And that is just a portion of your imaginary 60% north. I do not support female gender suppression neither do I support male gender contempt. Anything that give undue and undeserved advantage to either sexes be it male or female is evil, immoral, unrighteous and sinful. But the plain truth is that on a larger scale female gender suppression is not prevalent in Nigeria. For instance, if a husband beats up his wife in Nigeria, people chide with the man and easily rise up in defense of the woman. But if a wife beats up the husband, people make mockery of the man and laugh him to scorn. Now doesn't that appear like male gender oppression? Yet we do not have cases of male gender activists rising up to defend the man. The real issue with feminism is that it is rooted in deep-seated insecurity, high-level jealousy and uncompromising selfishness. I particularly hate feminism because it always brews unresolvable conflicts where none previously existed. We are battling enough conflict in Nigeria already, politically, religiously, tribally and socially and isn't it unfair that feminist want to add their own dimension to it. There is nothing like gender equality. A man and a manu cannot make babies. So is it with a woman and a woman. Both are important and necessary to create a balanced society. There is nothing like gender equality. What should and does exist is gender equity.

5 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by DocAdray(f): 5:24pm On Jul 31, 2014
yuzedo: SWEET
GOD OF ALL THINGS LEGIT!!! shocked shocked shocked

This article hit all 12-corners of my triangular heart!! I meannnn!!!!
Gaddemm!!! shocked

I was at a Commemorative Lecture in 2013 with my former-almost
girlfriend-and-100-yards-of-wife-material, the beautiful MOD brethreness
*******, and (un)fortunately, Mrs. Miss Adichie was the guest of
honor/chief speaker in a hall full of distinguished statesmen. My
embarrassment knew no bounds when Madam was showered ALL the goddam
adulation and effervescent worship for the 4hr duration of the lecture,
by all, including the celebrant/convener, to the complete detriment of
the one whom we were there to commemorate, the celebrant's late father.

Was madam abashed by all the fawning? Hell no! She exploited the
occasion to the full, launching into yet another monotone on everything
and nothing, and in utter confusion, I was forced to ask my date WHOM I
HAD INVITED, Is this why we are here? undecided

My honest albeit un-sought and perhaps irrelevant opinion of Madam
Adichie is that she is a tad overrated and tremendously immodest. She
enjoys the worship, but has not reached a stage where she can be humble
and gracious about it, quite unlike the true masters (Achebe &
Kongi). Luckily in this generation, very much different from theirs, it
is unlikely to affect her trajectory of progress and recognition, simply
because attention (deserved or not) is the currency we deal in
today.
(ask the talentless Kardashians if you doubt my words).

I hope she continues (for the sake of good literature) to deliver on her
works, a quality to equal or surpass Half of a Yellow Sun (her tour de
force, in my objective opinion).. Prior and Subsequent efforts have not
measured up to this beautiful book, but I refuse to blame that on her
loquacious and uber-skewered opinions that no-goddamn-body asked her
about. undecided

On a final note, pray, who or what wrote this article?? An 11/10 score
does zero justice to literature so complete in logic, facts,
presentation, validity and balance.

...... I bet a man wrote it. Women aren't this talented. tongue (I
kid!......... or do i?) wink

- Yuzedo is a part-time Pörn Collector & full-time fine boy wink grin,
and writes from Banana Iceland, Ikoyi.

'' Women aren't this talented?!''
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by yuzedo: 5:57pm On Jul 31, 2014
Meanwhile....

Of her name-changing declaration—i.e. ‘Nobody can force me to change my surname’—a Nigerian commented thusly on social media: ‘I have known Adichie to be an ! I don’t blame her; her husband’s name doesn’t open doors.’
OUCH!

I hasten to add that the urge to take advantage of a man or of the vacuum he allowed when he relaxed and stopped being the man, is even larger and much wilder in a black woman’s frame. An African-American comedian once joked that ‘Once a sister makes 9 dollars an hour, she thinks she’s Oprah’
I died!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

A brief return to the subject of a full integration. I present another Nigerian author of Adichie’s Generation X, one who now enjoys the full and priceless benefits of total integration: his name is Teju Cole, and he left Nigeria for the US at the age of 17. In my opinion he’s a refined human being, and the best writer Nigeria has produced since Chinua Achebe and Wole Soyinka, and his followers on social media, unlike Adichie’s, are mainly intellectuals and readers capable of higher thought and who follow Mr Cole because he offers that mental stimulation.

Wholeheartedly agree on the Teju Cole assessment, but, for the sake of indulgence, let us bring the comparison closer home (home in this context being female-female comparison).

I present to you, Sefi Atta, an author of Adichie's generation, twice as talented and half as abrasively verbose.

.. It doesn't hurt that she's light-skinted too. wink grin

Chimamanda should "take a cue", and maybe then, Everything Good Will Come! cool

6 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Opiosko: 6:00pm On Jul 31, 2014
yuzedo: SWEET GOD OF ALL THINGS LEGIT!!! shocked shocked shocked

This article hit all 12-corners of my triangular heart!! I meannnn!!!! Gaddemm!!! shocked

I was at a Commemorative Lecture in 2013 with my former-almost girlfriend-and-100-yards-of-wife-material, the beautiful MOD brethreness *******, and (un)fortunately, Mrs. Miss Adichie was the guest of honor/chief speaker in a hall full of distinguished statesmen. My embarrassment knew no bounds when Madam was showered ALL the goddam adulation and effervescent worship for the 4hr duration of the lecture, by all, including the celebrant/convener, to the complete detriment of the one whom we were there to commemorate, the celebrant's late father.

Was madam abashed by all the fawning? Hell no! She exploited the occasion to the full, launching into yet another monotone on everything and nothing, and in utter confusion, I was forced to ask my date WHOM I HAD INVITED, Is this why we are here? undecided

My honest albeit un-sought and perhaps irrelevant opinion of Madam Adichie is that she is a tad overrated and tremendously immodest. She enjoys the worship, but has not reached a stage where she can be humble and gracious about it, quite unlike the true masters (Achebe & Kongi). Luckily in this generation, very much different from theirs, it is unlikely to affect her trajectory of progress and recognition, simply because attention (deserved or not) is the currency we deal in today. (ask the talentless Kardashians if you doubt my words).

I hope she continues (for the sake of good literature) to deliver on her works, a quality to equal or surpass Half of a Yellow Sun (her tour de force, in my objective opinion).. Prior and Subsequent efforts have not measured up to this beautiful book, but I refuse to blame that on her loquacious and uber-skewered opinions that no-goddamn-body asked her about. undecided

...... I bet a man wrote it. Women aren't this talented. tongue (I kid!......... or do i?) wink

- Yuzedo is a part-time Pörn Collector & full-time fine boy wink grin, and writes from Banana Iceland, Ikoyi.

grin grin grin Yuzedo at his best. Chimama needs a man like you in her life to complete her balance. Problem is that she's not that gifted in the womanly body aspect like the Omosexy (ses)....
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Decryptor(m): 6:16pm On Jul 31, 2014

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by yuzedo: 6:17pm On Jul 31, 2014
Opiosko: grin grin grin Yuzedo at his best. Chimama needs a man like you in her life to complete her balance. Problem is that she's not that gifted in the womanly body aspect like the Omosexy (ses)....
Sir, there is no "mild orgazm" in my dictionary. I may render her brain-damaged from the intensity and multiplicity of orgazms that my 18-inch ich liebe dich will definitely deliver to her kpekus-africanus. grin Nobody wants that so make she just stay her lane for now. cool

7 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by PhumiTJ(f): 6:19pm On Jul 31, 2014
Djicemob: Am a feminist! Do u even know the meaning of the word or u just wanna sound funky.As a nigerian,How are u affected?

yes I know all about the doctrines of feminism
ave been dis way b4 I even knew d word feminism
and despite wat u want to believe dere are actually Nigerian feminist who aren't chimmamanda adichie and just regular people
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Dospix(m): 6:46pm On Jul 31, 2014
I am a passionate reader of Adichie, I have read virtually everything by her; but, i must be unbiasly lucid about my point. I see great sense in the point raised by the writer about Adichie's unstaticness with regards to her views and ideology about feminism. I most also commend her assiduousness in ensuring that she posits her points with conspicuous and reachable facts. But the mannerism at which she foregrounded her points makes it seem as though she had prevented her from picking a laurel she soo greviously longed for. I am a full blooded man, but my love for Adichie's work is intrinsically carved from her ability to make very strong counter points on issues i felt all dead and buried. And in the course of unraveling the intricacies surrounding these issues, i didn't see the writer of this article to help me make sense of it; instead i found solace in Adichie's work. I cannot dispute the fact that Adichie's ideology on feminism is laddered with several lacuna that would in time be exposed more further; but, what i am unable to decipher is why a woman who has in her position a well loaded missile to carve out an entirely new view of gender, Nigeria and the world at large would degenerate to the level of investing all her intelligence and 'know it all' ability just to counter the perception of a lady she claims is misguided. Infact, some of the vile comment she sieved out from the social media clearly shows how uninventingly she invest her time just to literarily discredit Adichie. Yes, Adichie might be wrong in some areas of her ideology, but the mannerism employed by this writer makes her even more wrong. Achebe did not engage Joyce Caris and his ilks in this form of literary counterism*(if you permit me to call it that) he instead invested his time in carving out one of the best book the world has ever seen about Africa just to make his emphatic statement. I expect Gonzaga to do the same with a comprehensive literary work to counter Adichie's view instead of attacking her personal life. Adichie is well ahead of her in all ramification and edification; and for those of you who would ask how? i need not tell you how, because telling you how is like showing you where the River Niger is located even though i am fully aware that you are already staring at it.

2 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Djicemob: 7:16pm On Jul 31, 2014
PhumiTJ:

yes I know all about the doctrines of feminism
ave been dis way b4 I even knew d word feminism
and despite wat u want to believe dere are actually Nigerian feminist who aren't chimmamanda adichie and just regular people
i said,as a nigerian,hw r u affected? Sister,Don't just follow the crowd,dont let someone think for u,u need to have a mind of ur own.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by charlesditro: 7:26pm On Jul 31, 2014
cococandy: For the one that can't resist any thread with my moniker on it.
It's good and fine to call me names and insult me without provocation.

I hope you won't start yelping like a trapped hyena when and if I decide to give you just a quarter for each dollar you give wink wink

OP call your hound to order,so he doesn't give you a 'healthy' derailment on this your thread.

And like I said, maybe female gender suppression is not an issue
Since it is mostly but not only restricted to the north (the same north that is 60 percent of Nigeria). As long as we have a few places where women are given as much recognition and respect as men.then it'all good

'Healthy functioning brain indeed'

I'll ignore your dumbass$ for now.
who is suppressing you? By quarter for each doller what do you mean.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jul 31, 2014
Decryptor:

smiley

Where there is no oppression based on gender, feminism is not needed, I agree wink

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by joomiegirl(f): 7:30pm On Jul 31, 2014
Kay17:

There lies the chauvinist's assumption that women lack intellectual capacity. It is glaring! There is no basis to believe African women are too shallow to scrape a little understanding of feminism. This is the inequality most feminists are against.

My dear, really didn't see anything chuavinistic about his post, nor intellectually derogatory about women.

princefunmi:
A lot of women advocate feminism without actually understanding its full implication - an implication that is a total contradiction of what the woman actually is and what she really wants.

Its one thing to advocate for a stop to the gender segregation many women suffer. Its quite another to advocate for equality. Its against the rules of nature, our very existence itself.

The bald truth is; we africans tend to jump on every western bandwagon that rolls along without fully contemplating the pros and cons.
If the whites think its cool, then we must too? undecided the LGBT issue is a perfect example...I don't condone hate for any reason whatsoever, but what is not good, is not good. Just because the western world thinks its the new "cool"; must we? undecided But I digress.

I agree FULLY. I would lend my voice, and pen and any other thing to advocate against gender discrimination in the workplace; for example.
I believe in merit..irrespective of gender. Educating the girl child. All of that.

BUT It really IS quite another thing to advocate for equality in everything.

Trying to do so is a TOTAL fallacy.

And I believe with all humility that I'm in a position to speak on this matter.

I'm in a field that is predominantly male. About 95% male.
I work hard. I get recognition for my input. As a matter of fact, there are responsibilities that get handed to me by my boss, simply because he believes I'm far more meticulous in those areas than my male colleagues.

But my dear, let me tell you; there are some areas in my field in which even I; would NEVER dream of hiring a female. Areas that require BRAWN.

Areas in which a female can spout till she's blue in the face, but she cannot do what is required...she CANNOT deliver..in those areas!!

Me sef, Ah get muscle? no! cheesy

In light of that alone, what equality are we shouting about, really?

How about the men start a campaign AGAINST maternity leave, for example, since we want equality? Why should we get 3 months off, simply because we put to bed?

In the same vein, how bout the women start campaigning for men to start getting pregnant and carrying babies (I'm sure science can somehow arrange that, now)...

We are talking equality now, abi?

Do you see the confusion?

In relationships, the feminist makes it all a dreary power tussle. She wants to be head. undecided
It throws the family system out of whack.
How about protection? Spiritual headship? Leadership, a father figure?

While it is true that some single mothers have done great jobs in raising their kids, those women certainly would tell you it would have been a lot easier if they had a strong, responsible father figure present.

I don't know about you, but I certainly shudder at the way both sexes are said to relate to each other in Finland.

I may be in a man's world, career-wise, BUT I'm no feminist.

I LIKE chivalry.

I EXPECT it.

Sounds crazy, but If I'm taking a walk with a guy, and I'm closest to the road, I expect him to swap positions with me. Yep.
Those little things say a lot...some automatically do it, and some don't. but then again not every man even knows what it is to be a real man, in the sense God meant him to be.
A man should protect his woman, and his children.

If we go on a date, I expect him to pay. Absolutely. It does NOT mean I cannot buy my own dinner.

If once in a while, I say, "hey, let's do lunch--my treat".... ehen, I know I'm paying. And even at that, does it diminish my sense of worth or independence; if he insists on picking up the bill? undecided
I'm not some helpless female.
And yet, I wouldn't have things any other way than what God designed it to be.
BECAUSE and SIMPLY BECAUSE I have my own roles too. And I'm expected to support him. Allow him to be the leader. Of course I have input. But there can be no two captains in one boat.

Bottom-line, i think this dude pretty much summed it up:

princefunmi:
In the grand scheme of things, feminism is potentially destructive to the human society.
The hard bitter truth that everyone fails to accept is that both sexes naturally assume a role much better that the other. Even the purist feminist will agree that some roles are better suited to the man folk than it is to the woman folk and vice versa. So how then can both Genders be equal when nature has already created that dichotomy - that clearly defined line that says this is male and this is female.

That's just the way it is. There is a reason why it has to be the man that would lay down his life to protect his family. There is a reason why there has to be a father figure in a household. There is a reason why under normal circumstances the man is considered the breadwinner in the house. These are just few of the many ways a feminist stance is not only weak but also seriously flawed. The spirit of feminism is borne out of the me-first nature of man and also the spirit of independence that so much pervades the Earth.

freshdude2: These same feminists are the same people who will say "be a man", shuo! Or label someone a woman wrapper. What exactly is this equality they keep harping on about?! I don't seem to understand it. What percentage of equality are we actually going to practise? In what areas because I see a lot of picking and choosing. I'm confused. What do these people want that they don't already have?!

My brother, I really don't know. Seeing as I'm not a feminist. All I see is a lot of man-hating and rage, especially amongst the "radical feminists" or wetin dem call deirselves...
We can talk till we're blue in the face...let everyman do what seemeth right unto him. That is the chaos we live in, in today's world.

Biko, that popcorn don finish?

4 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Kay17: 7:48pm On Jul 31, 2014
princefunmi:

If there is anyone making any assumption that women lack intellectual capacity, it is you. The only reason you would make such a statement is that you have no understanding of the concept of feminism itself. If you did, you will understand quite clearly, almost effortlessly, my outlook. In the grand scheme of things, feminism is potentially destructive to the human society.

The hard bitter truth that everyone fails to accept is that both sexes naturally assume a role much better that the other. Even the purist feminist will agree that some roles are better suited to the man folk than it is to the woman folk and vice versa. So how then can both Genders be equal when nature has already created that dichotomy - that clearly defined line that says this is male and this is female.

That's just the way it is. There is a reason why it has to be the man that would lay down his life to protect his family. There is a reason why there has to be a father figure in a household. There is a reason why under normal circumstances the man is considered the breadwinner in the house. These are just few of the many ways a feminist stance is not only weak but also seriously flawed. The spirit of feminism is borne out of the me-first nature of man and also the spirit of independence that so much pervades the Earth.

Again you persist with the same assumption that women lack capacity for deep thought. That women don't know anything especially feminism. That even if feminism is harmful to the society, women still do not know.

The truth remains, gender is a function of culture, don't mistake it with sexes which biological.

The battleground for feminism is focussed on rights. Political, social and economic rights not on courtship issues. Feminism is much more deeper than gender roles. Hence most of the arguments against it are often red herrings and shallow. Should men have more rights to free speech than women OR more privacy rights than women? And issues of abortion and family planning revolve around privacy rights and health rights. But you hardly find people engage feminists on these vital pivotal issues.

Feminism became prominent especially with the political right to a vote.

Rather you get posts like the OP.

2 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jul 31, 2014
@joomiegirl ,You have said it all . God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Djicemob: 8:01pm On Jul 31, 2014
Kay17:

Again you persist with the same assumption that women lack capacity for deep thought. That women don't know anything especially feminism. That even if feminism is harmful to the society, women still do not know.

The truth remains, gender is a function of culture, don't mistake it with sexes which biological.

The battleground for feminism is focussed on rights. Political, social and economic rights not on courtship issues. Feminism is much more deeper than gender roles. Hence most of the arguments against it are often red herrings and shallow. Should men have more rights to free speech than women OR more privacy rights than women? And issues of abortion and family planning revolve around privacy rights and health rights. But you hardly find people engage feminists on these vital pivotal issues.

Feminism became prominent especially with the political right to a vote.

Rather you get posts like the OP.
Are u a feminist?
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by joomiegirl(f): 8:01pm On Jul 31, 2014
softsparkyy: @joomiegirl ,You have said it all . God bless you.

Thank you dear..smiley Amen! God bless you too.
Cheers.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Kay17: 8:04pm On Jul 31, 2014
joomiegirl:

My dear, really didn't see anything chuavinistic about his post, nor intellectually derogatory about women.

The bald truth is; we africans tend to jump on every western bandwagon that rolls along without fully contemplating the pros and cons.
If the whites think its cool, then we must too? undecided the LGBT issue is a perfect example...I don't condone hate for any reason whatsoever, but what is not good, is not good. Just because the western world thinks its the new "cool"; must we? undecided But I digress.

I agree FULLY. I would lend my voice, and pen and any other thing to advocate against gender discrimination in the workplace; for example.
I believe in merit..irrespective of gender. Educating the girl child. All of that.

I work hard. I get recognition for my input. As a matter of fact, there are responsibilities that get handed to me by my boss, simply because he believes I'm far more meticulous in those areas than my male colleagues.

But my dear, let me tell you; there are some areas in my field in which even I; would NEVER dream of hiring a female. Areas that require BRAWN.

Areas in which a female can spout till she's blue in the face, but she cannot do what is required...she CANNOT deliver..in those areas!!

How about the men start a campaign AGAINST maternity leave, for example, since we want equality? Why should we get 3 months off, simply because we put to bed?

In the same vein, how bout the women start campaigning for men to start getting pregnant and carrying babies (I'm sure science can somehow arrange that, now)...

In relationships, the feminist makes it all a dreary power tussle. She wants to be head. undecided

While it is true that some single mothers have done great jobs in raising their kids, those women certainly would tell you it would have been a lot easier if they had a strong, responsible father figure present.

I don't know about you, but I certainly shudder at the way both sexes are said to relate to each other in Finland.

I LIKE chivalry.

I EXPECT it.

Sounds crazy, but If I'm taking a walk with a guy, and I'm closest to the road, I expect him to swap positions with me. Yep.
Those little things say a lot...some automatically do it, and some don't. but then again not every man even knows what it is to be a real man, in the sense God meant him to be.

If we go on a date, I expect him to pay. Absolutely. It does NOT mean I cannot buy my own dinner.

If once in a while, I say, "hey, let's do lunch--my treat".... ehen, I know I'm paying. And even at that, does it diminish my sense of worth or independence; if he insists on picking up the bill? undecided
BECAUSE and SIMPLY BECAUSE I have my own roles too. And I'm expected to support him. Allow him to be the leader. Of course I have input. But there can be no two captains in one boat.

My brother, I really don't know. Seeing as I'm not a feminist. All I see is a lot of man-hating and rage, especially amongst the "radical feminists" or wetin dem call deirselves...
We can talk till we're blue in the face...let everyman do what seemeth right unto him. That is the chaos we live in, in today's world.

People like you reduce such serious issues into courtship matters. The essence of chivalry in courtship is to charm and attract and nothing more.

To weigh the input and importance of feminism, try to compare the 20 th century with the 19 century and see the difference between the political and social rights guaranteed to women. It is the progress made in the past that you enjoy! The right to education, the right to vote, the right to safe pregnancy and delivery, the right to work. These are taken for granted today (mainly because we don't read history).

Equality is not about biologically altering the man into a woman or vice versa, rather on the basis of rights. That's the argument.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jul 31, 2014
joomiegirl:

I also think it is a pity Africans have nothing to present that other may want to copy. undecided

If you stand by what you said here then you are a feminist.

But my dear, let me tell you; there are some areas in my field in which even I; would NEVER dream of hiring a female. Areas that require BRAWN.Areas in which a female can spout till she's blue in the face, but she cannot do what is required...she CANNOT deliver..in those areas!!

No sensible person, feminist or not, disputes the fact that some people are more qualified to do some certain jobs than others. This is not what feminism is about.

Economic, political and social equality, is there any problem with it?

This is a very bad example. Have you given birth, yet? Anyway. We get maternity leave to recover from birth and to breastfeed. It is due to biological difference, which feminism is not about.

Once again, what you fail to understand is that feminism is not about biological differences.

I see the confusion in your post. undecided

You confuse economic, social and political equality with physiological differences.

I am a feminist and my partner has the last word in our relationship in a case in which we cannot reach a compromise. Surprised, huh?
Do you know why? Not because some medieval scriptures tell me to submit or because he has got a pe. nis and I don't and also not because he has got a fragile ego like most men oppposing feminsts, it is BECAUSE I think that he is very smart and BECAUSE I trust his judgments more than mine.

However, he is confident enough to let me take the lead in fields I know more about.

What is the point? What does it have to do with feminism?

I LIKE chivalry.

I EXPECT it.

You oppose something you actually support but you are unfortunately to confused to notice.

My boyfriend swaps sides with me when we walk by the road and I apreciate it but I will still keep one eye on him in this situation because I care about him and fel the need to look after him the best way I can. And as much as I want him to protect me, as much do I wish to protect him too because he also is just human.

Why exactly is he the one to pay if you also work and earn money? Is it not selfish?

Feminism does not force you or your boyfriend to pay or not pay your bills. It is just logical that women should also share the bills when they have their own money. I really do not understand the fuss about it.

How do you know how God designed it to be?

Life and marriage are not a boat in the sea and if you want analogies, there are better ones.

Like I said, you are talking about feminism without getting the idea behind it. I am a feminist and I do not hate men.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by ihedinobi2: 8:28pm On Jul 31, 2014
mbulela:
Oluchukwu is often a female name.
The Aloysius-Gonzaga could be a surname.
Despite how that looked, I didn't give his name as evidence of his sex, just as evidence that I found out more about him. I found his page on facebook, that's how I know he's male. He's a writer, poet, songwriter, you know, the works, as arty and linguistic as they come. Lives in Helsinki, Finland, I think. Aloysius-Gonzaga is his middle name. I'll bet he's Catholic and he was named for the saint. Didn't try to find out that part.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by joomiegirl(f): 8:30pm On Jul 31, 2014
Kay17:

People like you reduce such serious issues into courtship matters. The essence of chivalry in courtship is to charm and attract and nothing more.

To weigh the input and importance of feminism, try to compare the 20 th century with the 19 century and see the difference between the political and social rights guaranteed to women. It is the progress made in the past that you enjoy! The right to education, the right to vote, the right to safe pregnancy and delivery, the right to work. These are taken for granted today (mainly because we don't read history).

Equality is not about biologically altering the man into a woman or vice versa, rather on the basis of rights. That's the argument.

"People like me".... Take all the potshots you want. Pffft. Doesn't change a thing.

Clearly you are a close-minded reader..you read selectively, and see what you want to.
You clearly didn't even fully read my post which you quoted.

And when I spoke about biological alteration, I was clearly speaking tongue-in-cheek.

My responses were more in line with the original article which is the basis for this thread.
HENCE my comments on chivalry!!
You may want to go back to the original article for this thread, and read again. With a more open mind this time.

5 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by sisiafrika(f): 8:37pm On Jul 31, 2014
MrAnony1:
That's an unfair and inaccurate description of feminists
I know wat I'm saying. I'm suspecting kulyie kanwulia idowuogbo and tpaih are among them.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Kay17: 8:43pm On Jul 31, 2014
joomiegirl:

"People like me".... Take all he potshots you want. Pffft. Doesn't change a thing.

Clearly you are a close-minded reader..you read selectively, and see what you want to.
You clearly didn't even fully read my post which you quoted.

And when I spoke about biological alteration, I was clearly speaking tongue-in-cheek.

My responses were more in line with the original article which is the basis for this thread.
HENCE my comments on chivalry!!
You may want to go back to the original article for this thread, and read again. With a more open mind this time.

You are incredibly da.ft. Your reply was badly written without any form of arrangement or order.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Bootybuttchic(f): 8:52pm On Jul 31, 2014
Amhappy:

Well that your opinion my dear lady. I strongly disagree that there are no other place in Nigeria apart from the North, where women/children suffers unfair treatment. Men suffers unfair treatment in your community sef not to talk of women and children. Even though ignorance contributes, know that even the so called elites treats people unfairly. Unfair treatment is as a result of wickedness,selfishness and poor judgement. All over the world people still suffer unfair treatment. I live in Nigeria and will tell you that our poor legal structure allows this to thrive. As i said earlier,i neither understand feminism and nor believe in it. What i believe is that every man,woman and child are precious and equal(His image) in Gods eyes and should be treated fairly. It is impossible for people to be treated equally.
we are talking equality here,and not about,oppressors or bullies pls........reread the posts again undecided
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pickabeau1: 8:53pm On Jul 31, 2014
Kay17:

Should men have more rights to free speech than women OR more privacy rights than women? And issues of abortion and family planning revolve around privacy rights and health rights. But you hardly find people engage feminists on these vital pivotal issues.

When you speak of rights... which rights do u as a woman not have
Abortion is already a right.. pro choice anyone?

What are d issues... modern issues

You guys scream wolf and no one sees it
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Idowuogbo(f): 9:00pm On Jul 31, 2014
sisiafrika: I know wat I'm saying. I'm suspecting kulyie kanwulia idowuogbo and tpaih are among them.
Among who? Are you high? undecided
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jul 31, 2014
adconline:
Good writing skills!
thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Once Husband And Wife Sleep In Different Beds, The Marriage Is Almost Over ..... / Appearances Are Deceptive: Meeting Old Classmate By Ademola Henry Adigun / My Sister Married An Efulefu. What Should She Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.