Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:22 AM

Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga (39157 Views)

Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! / View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. / Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jul 31, 2014
Idowuogbo:
Among who? Are you high? undecided

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by joomiegirl(f): 9:16pm On Jul 31, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I also think it is a pity Africans have nothing to present that other may want to copy. undecided

If you stand by what you said here then you are a feminist.

No sensible person, feminist or not, disputes the fact that some people are more qualified to do some certain jobs than others. This is not what feminism is about.

Economic, political and social equality, is there any problem with it?

This is a very bad example. Have you given birth, yet? Anyway. We get maternity leave to recover from birth and to breastfeed. It is due to biological difference, which feminism is not about.

Once again, what you fail to understand is that feminism is not about biological differences.

I see the confusion in your post. undecided

You confuse economic, social and political equality with physiological differences.

I am a feminist and my partner has the last word in our relationship in a case in which we cannot reach a compromise. Surprised, huh?
Do you know why? Not because some medieval scriptures tell me to submit or because he has got a pe. nis and I don't and also not because he has got a fragile ego like most men oppposing feminsts, it is BECAUSE I think that he is very smart and BECAUSE I trust his judgments more than mine.

However, he is confident enough to let me take the lead in fields I know more about.

What is the point? What does it have to do with feminism?

You oppose something you actually support but you are unfortunately to confused to notice.

My boyfriend swaps sides with me when we walk by the road and I apreciate it but I will still keep one eye on him in this situation because I care about him and fel the need to look after him the best way I can. And as much as I want him to protect me, as much do I wish to protect him too because he also is just human.

Why exactly is he the one to pay if you also work and earn money? Is it not selfish?

Feminism does not force you or your boyfriend to pay or not pay your bills. It is just logical that women should also share the bills when they have their own money. I really do not understand the fuss about it.

How do you know how God designed it to be?

Life and marriage are not a boat in the sea and if you want analogies, there are better ones.

Like I said, you are talking about feminism without getting the idea behind it. I am a feminist and I do not hate men.

Trust me, I lay no claims to feminism. None whatsoever smiley . Don't put me in that box.
That I expect my input at work to be recognised and rewarded accordingly, and very fairly too, goes without saying..and does not make me one.

About my comments in relation to chivalry,lunch/dinner.. paying the bills et al, I was speaking basically with reference/in response to A.Gonzago's article, which is what started off this thread in the first place.
You might want to go back and read it THROUGH, this time...

No confusion in my post. You should recognise mild sarcasm..Obviously when I was speaking about biological/physiological altercations, I was CLEARLY speaking tongue-in-cheek.
grin grin. Chai! You people seriously need to lighten up a bit.

Bottom line, I KNOW what I want, and what I don't in my dealings with both sexes.
Not at all confused in any way.
I know the basis and the foundation for MY OWN belief system.
You asked, "how do you know how God designed it to be?"
Trust me, I KNOW. smiley that's all I would say on that for now.

Your partner has the last word in decisions, abi? Even though you have solid input, not so? Which means you made sure you choose someone whom you respected enough for you to "follow". Good for you. That's the smart thing to do, religion or no.

Perhaps you're not a "radical feminist"..smiley na for this thread I hear say una get grade grin grin

Anyways...*yawn*...like I said earlier
Let every man do what seemeth good unto himself. That's today's world!

6 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jul 31, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I also think it is a pity Africans have nothing to present that other may want to copy. undecided

AFRICANS DONT WANT THEM TO COPY ANYTHING FROM US... WE ARE ONLY ASKING THAT THEY KEEP THEIR IDEOLOGIES To Themselves... How difficult is that...

If you stand by what you said here then you are a feminist.

WELL

No sensible person, feminist or not, disputes the fact that some people are more qualified to do some certain jobs than others. This is not what feminism is about.
ARE U SURE ABOUT THIS....

Economic, political and social equality, is there any problem with it?

NOW U RE ARRIVING... WHAT ECONOMIC, SOCIAL AND POLITICAL EQUALITY DO WOMEN LACK AS OF NOW... USE NIGERIA AS A CASE STUDY... YOU DO KNOW THAT THERE WAS NEVER A TIME WHEN WOMEN WERE DENIED VOTING RIGHTS IN THIS COUNTRY SHEY?

This is a very bad example. Have you given birth, yet? Anyway. We get maternity leave to recover from birth and to breastfeed. It is due to biological difference, which feminism is not about.

RECOVER FROM BIRTH? WERE U SICK? FEMINISM IS ABOUT EQUALITY, THERE IS NOTHING EQUAL ABOUT GETTING 3 MONTHS OFF WHILE UR MALE COLLEAGUE WORKS HIS A'R'S'E OFF THE WHOLE YEAR ASSUMING YOU EARN EQUAL PAY...

Once again, what you fail to understand is that feminism is not about biological differences.

ONCE AGAIN YOU KNOW NOT WHAT EQUALITY IS OR YOU ARE JUST CONFUSING YOURSELF... TWO THINGS CANNOT BE EQUAL TO EACH OTHER AND DIFFERENT FROM EACH OTHER AT THE SAME TIME...

I see the confusion in your post. undecided

You confuse economic, social and political equality with physiological differences.

I am a feminist and my partner has the last word in our relationship in a case in which we cannot reach a compromise. Surprised, huh?
Do you know why? Not because some medieval scriptures tell me to submit or because he has got a pe. nis and I don't and also not because he has got a fragile ego like most men oppposing feminsts, it is BECAUSE I think that he is very smart and BECAUSE I trust his judgments more than mine.

YOU JUST SAID YOU ARE DULL SINCE YOUR PARTNERS JUDGEMENT IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN YOURS... WHAT QUALIFIES YOU TO COME HERE AND PREACH WHEN YOU PERSONALLY DO NOT ARGUE WITH YOUR OWN PARTNER... WHY TELL WOMEN TO DO WHAT YOU DON'T... ARE YOU IMPLYING THAT THEIR PARTNERS LACK SOUND JUDGEMENT OR THAT YOURS IS SMARTER.. WHY SHOULD WE EVEN TAKE YOU SERIOUS??

However, he is confident enough to let me take the lead in fields I know more about.

EVERYBODY DOES THAT... NO MAN WOULD FORCEFULLY. SAY HE KNOWS BEST HOW TO BATHE A BABY WHEN HE HARDLY DOES SO

What is the point? What does it have to do with feminism?

??

You oppose something you actually support but you are unfortunately to confused to notice.

My boyfriend swaps sides with me when we walk by the road and I apreciate it but I will still keep one eye on him in this situation because I care about him and fel the need to look after him the best way I can. And as much as I want him to protect me, as much do I wish to protect him too because he also is just human.

NAH, A BETTER WAY TO PROTECT HIM IS TO STAY ON THE OTHER SIDE WHILE HE KEEPS AN EYE ON YOU.... WHAT STOPS YOU FROM DOING SO WHEN YOU ARE BOTH EQUAL....

Why exactly is he the one to pay if you also work and earn money? Is it not selfish?

APPLY THIS MENTALITY TO EVERY OTHER ASPECT... STOP CHERRY PIVKING, ELSE YOU ARE THE SELFISH ONE...

Feminism does not force you or your boyfriend to pay or not pay your bills. It is just logical that women should also share the bills when they have their own money. I really do not understand the fuss about it.

REFER TO MY PREVIOUS POINT...

How do you know how God designed it to be?

THE BIBLE SAYS SO

Life and marriage are not a boat in the sea and if you want analogies, there are better ones.

BETTER ONES LIKE AN EQUAL PARTNER STAYING ON THE FAST LANE WHILE U KEEP AN EYE ON HIM SHEY DAT ONE IS BETTER?

Like I said, you are talking about feminism without getting the idea behind it. I am a feminist and I do not hate men.

SERIOUSLY, U DO HAVE AN IDEA, BUT THAT IS JUST WHAT IT IS... "AN IDEA"
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by mcino: 9:30pm On Jul 31, 2014
pickabeau1: Very good points... good to see a debate rooted in fact rather than fact

I did not write the article and I also initially thought the writer was female.. this in itself raises a very pertinent question which raises it head globally on gender issues

Must i be female to understand female issues.

Second/third point
On class that i cannot discuss on as the author may know more of Adichie personally

On making a reference to her lack of father figure or partner.. i wouldnt know also

Fourth point

Now you are attacking the writer doing the same thing you accused him of calling him a fraud

Is she entitiled to get people to perform chivalric acts as chivalry is unnecessary in an equal society
In a truly equal society male and female are equal and gender roles are nonexistent
So no chilvalric acts - i notice you did not comment there

You also did not make references to statements she has made on achebe and her seeming pandering to the West

I am well aware that you didn't write the article and that made me to refer to you as OP, while the owner of the article was referred to as the writer. Sure, you don't need to be female to understand female issues, but in a presentation like this, it is necessary to put everything into perspective. I accused you of deliberately ignoring the fact, and in fact facilitated a wrong notion that the writer is a female, and I stand by it. You replied thus, " 4. Also she raised the practical example of living in a highly feminized society and the fact that marital issues still occur" to Cococandy, which I consider a deliberate mischief to misguide opinions. Cococandy also fell for it, referred to him as 'she', when she replied, "if I didn't read it,how else did I know what she said?" and the flow continued from there. Those that can reason know the psychological implication of this.

I did not expect you to answer for the writer, though you can defend him as the poster, if you think my observation is defensible. So, when I observed that it is intellectually fraudulent to deliberately try to confuse the audience, by implying that Adichie expected to be assisted by men in an elevator, when there is no premises upon which it is based. So, if what you mean by "Is she entitiled to get people to perform chivalric acts" is her complain about the unfriendliness of the Swedish, i guess you can see where i stand. However, I already stated my stand on feminism and would be disappointed in her if she is a feminist and still expect men to help her because she is a woman. Anybody could expect to be helped when in need, regardless of gender, opinions and inclinations, but expecting that simply because you are a woman, when you advocate equality is simply crazy.

Finally, I would appreciate if you can cite a reference on the attack she made on Achebe. If your accusation is right and she atries to appeal to the west, it is her life and her responsibility to do whatever she likes with it. Moreover, she is made by the west and grossly disparaged at home, so where do you think her allegiance will be. This in no way means that I agree to that assertion. She is being herself and sharing her own opinion on various issues, just like every other person who has such an opportunity to have an audience.

I strongly believe that she should be allowed to flow with her opinions, while those with contrary opinions should try and sell theirs without attacking her. I honestly believe that those that try to sell their opinion by attacking Adichie's opinion are seeking cheap publicity, by trying to ride on her popularity. I find it a lazy thing to do. One should be able to build a reputation before seeking popularity. Those that do otherwise, or try to attack popular people in other to gain popularity do not go far.

2 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jul 31, 2014
joomiegirl:

Trust me, I lay no claims to feminism. None whatsoever. Don't put me in that box.
That I expect my input to be recognised and rewarded accordingly, and very fairly too, goes without saying..and does not make me one.

I have lucidly pointed out that you do not even know what feminism is about so how can you choose to support or oppose it?

Do you also expect to have the right to vote?

Do you expect to get the same salary a man gets in the same position?

Do you expect to have the right to be educated?

About my comments in relation to chivalry,lunch/dinner.. paying the bills et al, I was speaking basically with reference/in response to A.Gonzago's article, which is what started off this thread in the first place.
You might want to go back and read it THROUGH, this time...

So? Is it an excuse to continue with illogical comments on feminism?

No confusion in my post. You should recognise mild sarcasm..Obviously when I was speaking about biological/physiological altercations, I was CLEARLY speaking tongue-in-cheek.
grin grin. Chai! You people seriously need to lighten up a bit.

Sarcasm or not, biological differences are totally out of place when talking about feminism.

Bottom line, I KNOW what I want, and what I don't in my dealings with both sexes.
Not at all confused in any way.
I know the basis and the foundation for MY OWN belief system.
You asked, "how do you know how God designed it to be?"
Trust me, I KNOW. smiley that's all I would say on that for now.

And I know that you want your mugus to pay for you while you keep your money to yourself. grin

You are a smart woman wink

Your partner has the last word in decisions, abi? Even though you have solid input, not so? Which means you made sure you choose someone whom you respected enough for you to "follow". Good for you. That's the smart thing to do, religion or no.

The keyword here is choice, the choice I wouldn't have without feminism.

Perhaps you're not a "radical feminist"..smiley na for this thread I hear say una get grade grin grin

Anyways...*yawn*...like I said earlier
Let every man do what seemeth good unto himself. That's today's world!

Now answer my questions, please:

Do you believe women should have the right to vote?

Do you believe women should be paid the same salary as men doing the same work?

Do you believe women should have the right to be educated?

3 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jul 31, 2014
njokusboy:

SERIOUSLY, U DO HAVE AN IDEA, BUT THAT IS JUST WHAT IT IS... "AN IDEA"

So?

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by joomiegirl(f): 9:37pm On Jul 31, 2014
Kay17:

You are incredibly da.ft. Your reply was badly written without any form of arrangement or order.

grin grin grin
The trick below is what you are trying to use abi?

*unfazed, bursts out laughing, continues eating popcorn...*
its not "werking" for you, dear.
grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Decryptor(m): 9:46pm On Jul 31, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Where there is no oppression based on gender, feminism is not needed, I agree wink

Then why are you just following the crowd of deluded feminists?

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jul 31, 2014
carefreewannabe:

So?

cool I like d fact that this is all u got to say

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jul 31, 2014
Decryptor:

Then why are you just following the crowd of deluded feminists?

I am not following them, I am leading them tongue
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jul 31, 2014
njokusboy:

cool I like d fact that this is all u got to say

cool
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by KLand(m): 9:49pm On Jul 31, 2014
The writer made a good impression. Without sentiments, I think the piece emanated from a brilliant mind. Those who are criticising the writer should take it easy.

I must say, Adichie should know that the child that calls his mother a bad woman will not be himself considered a good child.
Speaking ill about her country may help her sell her books but it will not earn her a good reputation in our eyes.

Feminism is not a very balanced movement. To be honest, it is not a concept that helps the society. It does more harm than good. I believe the facts are clear.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Decryptor(m): 9:51pm On Jul 31, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I am not following them, I am leading them tongue

Ok! Keep "holding yourself " and the ones you are leading backward (according to the photo) and continue laying the blame on patriarchy.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Kay17: 9:52pm On Jul 31, 2014
pickabeau1:

When you speak of rights... which rights do u as a woman not have
Abortion is already a right.. pro choice anyone?

What are d issues... modern issues

You guys scream wolf and no one sees it

You have to start by recognising the efforts of past feminists in breaking down the barriers women once faced.

Secondly, there is still much to be done. I am not a feminist, I don't believe in affirmative action either, I'm for the removal of barriers and bounds. For one, abortion is a safe and easy medical surgery that should be available to all women, it is illegal in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jul 31, 2014
KLand: The writer made a good impression. Without sentiments, I think the piece emanated from a brilliant mind. Those who are criticising the writer should take it easy.

I must say, Adichie should know that the child that calls his mother a bad woman will not be himself considered a good child.
Speaking ill about her country may help her sell her books but it will not earn her a good reputation in our eyes.

Feminism is not balance movement. To be honest, it is not a concept that helps the society. It does more harm than good. I believe the facts are clear.

First of all, many more people in Nigeria and abroad address the country's problems and there is nothing wrong about it.

Secondly, she always repeats how her heart is in Nigeria and criticizes the fact the the Western media focuses on the problems of the country creating a one-dimensional image of Nigeria and Africa in general.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jul 31, 2014
Decryptor:

Ok! Keep "holding yourself " and the ones you are leading backward (according to the photo) and continue laying the blame on patriarchy.

Does it make any sense to you to post pictures of white girls on a predominantly black forum? How do the lives of white women in the West can be compared to those of black women in Africa? Like seriously?

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pickabeau1: 9:56pm On Jul 31, 2014
I erroneously thought the writer was female. I had initially guessed male but the style was female hence i assumed that way

and i subsequently modified my post.. an earlier poster ihedinobi2 had mentioned it before u highlighted it

Good u agree chivalry makes no sense in an equal society

On the comments by adichie on achebe, i will try n get links on that

good debate

mcino:

I am well aware that you didn't write the article and that made me to refer to you as OP, while the owner of the article was referred to as the writer. Sure, you don't need to be female to understand female issues, but in a presentation like this, it is necessary to put everything into perspective. I accused you of deliberately ignoring the fact, and in fact facilitated a wrong notion that the writer is a female, and I stand by it. You replied thus, " 4. Also she raised the practical example of living in a highly feminized society and the fact that marital issues still occur" to Cococandy, which I consider a deliberate mischief to misguide opinions. Cococandy also fell for it, referred to him as 'she', when she replied, "if I didn't read it,how else did I know what she said?" and the flow continued from there. Those that can reason know the psychological implication of this.

I did not expect you to answer for the writer, though you can defend him as the poster, if you think my observation is defensible. So, when I observed that it is intellectually fraudulent to deliberately try to confuse the audience, by implying that Adichie expected to be assisted by men in an elevator, when there is no premises upon which it is based. So, if what you mean by "Is she entitiled to get people to perform chivalric acts" is her complain about the unfriendliness of the Swedish, i guess you can see where i stand. However, I already stated my stand on feminism and would be disappointed in her if she is a feminist and still expect men to help her because she is a woman. Anybody could expect to be helped when in need, regardless of gender, opinions and inclinations, but expecting that simply because you are a woman, when you advocate equality is simply crazy.

Finally, I would appreciate if you can cite a reference on the attack she made on Achebe. If your accusation is right and she atries to appeal to the west, it is her life and her responsibility to do whatever she likes with it. Moreover, she is made by the west and grossly disparaged at home, so where do you think her allegiance will be. This in no way means that I agree to that assertion. She is being herself and sharing her own opinion on various issues, just like every other person who has such an opportunity to have an audience.

I strongly believe that she should be allowed to flow with her opinions, while those with contrary opinions should try and sell theirs without attacking her. I honestly believe that those that try to sell their opinion by attacking Adichie's opinion are seeking cheap publicity, by trying to ride on her popularity. I find it a lazy thing to do. One should be able to build a reputation before seeking popularity. Those that do otherwise, or try to attack popular people in other to gain popularity do not go far.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pickabeau1: 10:04pm On Jul 31, 2014
Kay17:

You have to start by recognising the efforts of past feminists in breaking down the barriers women once faced.

Secondly, there is still much to be done. I am not a feminist, I don't believe in affirmative action either, I'm for the removal of barriers and bounds. For one, abortion is a safe and easy medical surgery that should be available to all women, it is illegal in Nigeria.

The efforts of the pioneers are recognised. Its the travails of the neo- ones i dont get

when you say barriers and bounds.... forgive me if i say that is vague.. can u be more specific

Abortion.. lets accept that... if that is given as a right say pre 20 weeks... will that be ok

i need specific things to discuss with
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Decryptor(m): 10:04pm On Jul 31, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Does it make any sense to you to post pictures of white girls on a predominantly black forum? How do the lives of white women in the West can be compared to those of black women in Africa? Like seriously?

Oh really?? What race did the proponents of this feminism come from predominantly? So it was the black women in Africa like Winnie Mandela, Okonjo Iweala or Dieziani that brought about the feminism movement as an ideology right? You see why I say these feminists esp the ones we have here in Afica (Nigeria) are so deluded and clueless!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And look below, she's an Ethiopian

2 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pickabeau1: 10:07pm On Jul 31, 2014
carefreewannabe:

brecuase it is a white female ideology
A lot of our black ladies dont know this

Historically it is believed that it was introduced in black communities in the US to undermine the black man in the wake of victories obtained by the Civil Rights Act

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jul 31, 2014
Decryptor:

Oh really?? What race did the proponents of this feminism come from predominantly? So it was the black women in Africa like Winnie Mandela, Okonjo Iweala or Dieziani that brought about the feminism movement as an ideology right? You see why I say these feminists esp the ones we have here in Afica (Nigeria) are so deluded and clueless!

The West lives in the post-feminist era. Women and girls in this part of the world enjoy what their grandmothers fought for. The st.upid girls you poted the pics of take every right they enjoy for granted but their grandmothers had to fight hard for them.

Women in Africa fight for something Western women were fighting for 50 years ago. Nobody in the West is talking about feminism anymore as much as Nigerians are. Like always, Africans are AT LEAST half a century behind. WAKE UP.

What the West will be concerned about in the next years will be the rights of fathers if Western men decide to stand up for their rights. This will only turn into a mass movement if they will feel the need to do so.

Do not compare the West to Africa. Nigerians are AT BEST 50 years behind.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Kay17: 10:14pm On Jul 31, 2014
pickabeau1:

The efforts of the pioneers are recognised. Its the travails of the neo- ones i dont get

when you say barriers and bounds.... forgive me if i say that is vague.. can u be more specific

Abortion.. lets accept that... if that is given as a right say pre 20 weeks... will that be ok

i need specific things to discuss with

I just realised that I would be derailing the thread by discussing specifics such as abortion. So I redeem myself by sticking to the relevant issues. If you want to talk about the broader aspects, open a thread on that and invite me.

As it relates to the OP, the bolded contradicts your earlier statements that feminism is harmful to the society, but now you find the work of its pioneers valuable. That there was the need for feminism. So where do you stand? For or Against feminism OR against neo-feminism?

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jul 31, 2014
pickabeau1:

brecuase it is a white female ideology
A lot of our black ladies dont know this

Historically it is believed that it was introduced in black communities in the US to undermine the black man in the wake of victories obtained by the Civil Rights Act

Feminism is not about colour. Another fallacy.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pickabeau1: 10:16pm On Jul 31, 2014
Kay17:
I just realised that I would be derailing the thread by discussing specifics such as abortion. So I redeem myself by sticking to the relevant issues. If you want to talk about the broader aspects, open a thread on that and invite me.
As it relates to the OP, the bolded contradicts your earlier statements that feminism is harmful to the society, but now you find the work of its pioneers valuable. That there was the need for feminism. So where do you stand? For or Against feminism OR against neo-feminism?

I think it will be better here... as there are too many threads

i believe in fairness.

I dont see why a person (male or female) should be discriminated against on basis of gender, colour or religion

The same way women get favours from men can be termed sexist also

I believe in education for both sexes.

A list of the issues is ok.. abortion tends to be touchy because of the religious and traditional issues around it but i know in the US, 20 weeks or so is the generally agreed life boundary. i will not argue with you on abortion as women should be incontrol of reporductive rights subject to a caveat. if i tell you i dont want that baby pre-20weeks and you dont abort it, i aint paying for no child support

otherwise science says the foetus is just a clump of cells

Lets discuss here

carefreewannabe:

Feminism is not about colour. Another fallacy.

Interesting.. ok

I asked kay17 the particular issues still to be resolved
he/She mentioned abortion

Any ideas on this?
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by TV01(m): 10:18pm On Jul 31, 2014
Kay17: The truth remains, gender is a function of culture, don't mistake it with sexes which biological.
Gender is a needless construct, which is just an excuse for licence and indulgence - another misappropriated word in the pursuit of sexual incontinence.

Kay17: The battleground for feminism is focussed on rights. Political, social and economic rights not on courtship issues.
As an ideology, feminism leaves no facet of societyor human relations untouched. The feminist belief is that men are oppressors and matrimony as a vehicle engenders - pun intended - that oppression.

Further in the pursuit of equality - for which read sameness - a man can never ever have "authority over a woman, and we daren't mention the submission word.

Kay17: Feminism is much more deeper than gender roles. Hence most of the arguments against it are often red herrings and shallow.
Nope. Nothing deep or edifying about it. it's a scam - the pursuit of female privilege without responsibility - pure and simple.

Kay17:
Should men have more rights to free speech than women OR more privacy rights than women? And issues of abortion and family planning revolve around privacy rights and health rights. But you hardly find people engage feminists on these vital pivotal issues.
Abortion is a privacy issue? Can I beg, borrow or steal a laugh. The right to murder an unborn child is a matter of privacy? Health rights?. Absolutely farcical. Is Pregnancy a disease.

Kay17: Feminism became prominent especially with the political right to a vote.
Was it only women that were denied the vote? And in as much as they did not have individual votes, did they not have representation? Keep trotting out fallacies.

TV

2 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 10:22pm On Jul 31, 2014
coogar:

of course - there are different kinds of terrorists too. radical terrorists & liberal ones. be deceiving yourself.
What exactly is it that makes you equate feminists to terrorists?

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jul 31, 2014
pickabeau1:

Interesting.. ok

Any ideas on this?

Social issues such as the name calling of women who are not married and past 30.

Social issues such as the celebraion of "bad boys" but discrimination of women who are not ashamed of having a libido.

Social and economic issues such as the conviction that a woman's primary role is motherhood.

Economic issues such as the ownership of properties.

I could go on and on.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by sisiafrika(f): 10:24pm On Jul 31, 2014
Idowuogbo:
not u ooo grin
Idowuogbo:
not u ooo
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Kay17: 10:29pm On Jul 31, 2014
TV01:
Gender is a needless construct, which is just an excuse for licence and indulgence - another misappropriated word in the pursuit of sexual incontinence.

As an ideology, feminism leaves no facet of societyor human relations untouched. The feminist belief is that men are oppressors and matrimony as a vehicle engenders - pun intended - that oppression.

Further in the pursuit of equality - for which read sameness - a man can never ever have "authority over a woman, and we daren't mention the submission word.

Nope. Nothing deep or edifying about it. it's a scam - the pursuit of female privilege without responsibility - pure and simple.

Abortion is a privacy issue? Can I beg, borrow or steal a laugh. The right to murder an unborn child is a matter of privacy? Health rights?. Absolutely farcical. Is Pregnancy a disease.

Was it only women that were denied the vote? And in as much as they did not have individual votes, did they not have representation? Keep trotting out fallacies.

TV

Obviously if a woman secures more rights, so also her power increases. The effect thereof reflects on society, on the family, workplace etc. A careerist woman is hardly a model of submission, so I understand your fears that the matrimony is at risk.

Yet everyone has a right to the pursuit of happiness. smiley

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pickabeau1: 10:33pm On Jul 31, 2014
Please do - so we can thrash this issues out

carefreewannabe:
Social issues such as the name calling of women who are not married and past 30.

people should be able to live their own lives to their fullest
You dont need feminism to stop stigma of single career ladies
With modernisation and education, this will stop

Things are changing

The DG of the Securities and Exchange Commission is a single. so many professionals in Nigeria who are single and living their lives
with time this will stop

Social issues such as the celebraion of "bad boys" but discrimination of women who are not ashamed of having a libido.

Slutshaming still exists in that same West.. you know right?
Guys will use and dump a ho
whether they call her names or not

If slutshaming is made a crime today, does it mean guys will be forced to copulate with women they know or perceive as sluts
Guys dont want high mileage punnies... simple

Social and economic issues such as the conviction that a woman's primary role is motherhood.

Similar to the post above... if u want to get to the top as a woman,... parenting is not for you

Economic issues such as the ownership of properties.

I could go on and on.

Ownership of properties... this is an education issue and the suffering of widows due to the demise of the breadwinners is an eyeopener
There were traditional checks which are inadequate and failed
Women can own properties.this is guaranteed. im sure you have females in your circle who own properties, cars in naija. this is a human rights issue.

Go on please
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Kay17: 10:34pm On Jul 31, 2014
pickabeau1:

I think it will be better here... as there are too many threads

i believe in fairness.

I dont see why a person (male or female) should be discriminated against on basis of gender, colour or religion

The same way women get favours from men can be termed sexist also

I believe in education for both sexes.

A list of the issues is ok.. abortion tends to be touchy because of the religious and traditional issues around it but i know in the US, 20 weeks or so is the generally agreed life boundary. i will not argue with you on abortion as women should be incontrol of reporductive rights subject to a caveat. if i tell you i dont want that baby pre-20weeks and you dont abort it, i aint paying for no child support

otherwise science says the foetus is just a clump of cells

Lets discuss here

Interesting.. ok

Any ideas on this?

Mr Pickbeau1 the very foundation of your stand is at risk, you have admitted that feminism has made invaluable contributions to society, and that admission stands in direct contradiction to your OP that feminism is harmful to society. Please resolve that immediately.

Because if you believe feminism is good, the whole point of this thread vanishes. So again I say, it is a fundamental risk.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pickabeau1: 10:35pm On Jul 31, 2014
Kay17:

Mr Pickbeau1 the very foundation of your stand is at risk, you have admitted that feminism has made invaluable contributions to society, and that admission stands in direct contradiction to your OP that feminism is harmful to society. Please resolve that immediately.

Mr/Mrs/Ms Kay17

Everyone here has agreed that it had some benefits with the first and second waves. That is not in question

Socialism and Communism had its benefits

i am asking what is its purpose for d NOW?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (26) (Reply)

Which Is Worse? A Cheating Or Nagging Wife / My Sister Married An Efulefu. What Should She Do? / Appearances Are Deceptive: Meeting Old Classmate By Ademola Henry Adigun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.