Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,570 members, 7,958,761 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:50 PM

Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga (39588 Views)

Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! / View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. / Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by coogar: 1:21pm On Jul 31, 2014
freshdude2: Coogar, do you remember me saying that feminism in Nigeria is really about female dominance? There is no benefit/privilege I enjoy that a woman is deprived of just because she's female. This whole feminism noise is irritating. They claim they want equal rights but flee with gusto when it's time to take the responsibilities of the crown they so desperately want to wear.

nigerian women: eating their cake & having it since 1914. grin

5 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pickabeau1: 1:24pm On Jul 31, 2014
ihedinobi2:
I see. Then the demarcation between regular feminism and radical feminism is sensible. It's gotten harder to tell with the war of words.

He hasnt made the difference

Someone can say there is no difference
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 1:33pm On Jul 31, 2014
pickabeau1:

Actually I have pointed out the difference.

I thought you were going to open a new thread for us to discuss further.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 1:36pm On Jul 31, 2014
ihedinobi2:
I see. Then the demarcation between regular feminism and radical feminism is sensible. It's gotten harder to tell with the war of words.
The radical members of any given group are usually the loudest. It is an unfortunate fact but rather unsurprising.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by coogar: 1:36pm On Jul 31, 2014
pickabeau1:

there's no difference. a woman is either a feminist or she's not. saying it's different defeats the purpose of the cause.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 31, 2014
ihedinobi2:
Considering this reality about doing business, do you consider it cruelty and unfairness for businesses to prefer hiring men?
It's definitely not cruelty to prefer hiring men but it could lead to other social and workplace issues if there's no balance. And like Gonzalo said, even in Finland, women are hired, sometimes, for the sake of diversity. Water tends to find it's own level and eventually natural selection just sort of happens. This is especially seen where Gonzaga claims that despite Finnish women's access to public funds to pursue worthwhile ventures, they don't particularly abound in furthering the Finnish or world economy.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 1:42pm On Jul 31, 2014
coogar:

there's no difference. a woman is either a feminist or she's not. saying it's different defeats the purpose of the cause.
You are wrong there. there is a difference. Not all feminists are radical feminists.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by coogar: 1:43pm On Jul 31, 2014
MrAnony1:
You are wrong there. there is a difference. Not all feminists are radical feminists.

of course - there are different kinds of terrorists too. radical terrorists & liberal ones. be deceiving yourself.

4 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 31, 2014
cococandy: First the wirter says the problem of female suppression doesn't exist in Nigeria.
That almost renders the whole write up invalid.
I'm sorry it's difficult to take some who says that seriously.
A country where we have to count the high profile women off the fingers of both hands and feet still has a long way to go in women's emancipation.
He wanted her to be specific about the part of Nigeria still in the dark?
I guess we should title the next topic 'emancipation of women in the North' or
'Emancipation of women in urhobo land'
Aren't we all Nigerians?

Second,one would have expected him/her to put their points accross without throwing insults and jabs at the person of chimamanda.
I don't know what this write up is all about,but it is glaring that at the heart of it is a deep dislike for adichie. And hate is one thing I don't do.if I quote all the sentences where she/he said nasty things about the writer, it'll be very obvious this topic is about chimamanda and nothing else.
And frankly I've a life so colorful I don't sit and discuss celebrities.

I think the author of this post should try get such a life too.

Its either u didnt read or u did read but couldn't comprehend the intentions of the writer and the points she was making.

Please read again and this time around with an open mind.

2 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by troy20(m): 1:48pm On Jul 31, 2014
MrAnony1:
This is an example of a stupid comment.
it may not be stupid realy.a woman long starved of sex can be unimaginably cranky.i'll give you a link.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jul 31, 2014
crackhaus:

E.O.D
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pickabeau1: 1:56pm On Jul 31, 2014
MrAnony1:
Actually I have pointed out the difference.

I thought you were going to open a new thread for us to discuss further.

Let's discuss here

What's the definitions of a feminist and what is the difference between these two mind you

There are so many categories

Christian feminist
Pro-life feminist
Radical feminist
Islamic feminist

So many..just discuss on those two for now
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by freecitizn: 1:56pm On Jul 31, 2014
[quote author=Nonso23][/quote]

Hey, I actually had to sign in after reading as a guest all day just to like your response. Nice one!
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by joomiegirl(f): 2:06pm On Jul 31, 2014
freshdude2: Coogar, do you remember me saying that feminism in Nigeria is really about female dominance? There is no benefit/privilege I enjoy that a woman is deprived of just because she's female. This whole feminism noise is irritating. They claim they want equal rights but flee with gusto when it's time to take the responsibilities of the crown they so desperately want to wear.

Oho. Especially in relationships/ marriage. Lol @ "flee when its time to take responsibilities..." grin

Are you minding them? Men have God-given roles; the headaches and responsibilities of which I don't want, thank you very much!
I have enough to deal with in MY role as a woman grin.
Seriously, though!
And trust me, its NOT all about financial responsibilities!
Feminists want to dominate...doesn't seem to be "werking" for them...

pickabeau1: Sorry.. the writer is male.. i was corrected
I believe some of our feminists dont really understand what the issues are

A lot of the online army just got wind of these ideology and are now more indoctrinated than the whites themselves.
Your points on chivalry are very funny
grin

Ah taya o. Dey want to be oyinbo more than the oyinbos themselves.

I don't even know what the real noise is truly about...

Biko, nyem the popcorn bucket! grin

5 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jul 31, 2014
freshdude2: Biitch please, I mentioned you by name. The "classy" thing to do is return the favour. Been a while I roasted your shrivelled arze. Remember when last you bleated? I'll joggle your memory.

Hey dude, lets move on ok!
The subject in discourse is so educating & informative too so lets focus on it.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jul 31, 2014
Having been able to experience life on both divide ( i.e Nigeria and United states), i would choose the Nigerian family system over the latter as it barely exist over here.

Princetammy: Kudos to the OP for taking time to put up a very concise and articulate write up. I have resided in Finland for three years and i can confirm every bit of what the OP has stated about the effect of the so called feminism in the society. I pity the new crop of Nigerian wanna be feminist. Having been able to experience life on both divide ( i.e Nigeria and Finland), i would choose the Nigerian family system over the latter as it barely exist over here.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by emeraldlife: 2:18pm On Jul 31, 2014
Let me first appreciate the writer for his patroitism towards Nigeria and his love for the the Igbos.

Let me stress here that Chimmanda's firm stance on female empowerment is justifiable but she is too arogant, lacking the knowlege of her chosen mission and publicly condemning our uniqueness as Nigerians. She's a hypocrite.

I watched her speech during Obiano's 100 days in office where she stressed the importance of Igbo language and the need to educate our children in Igbo language but she could hardly make a complete Igbo sentence in her entire speech without the borrowed English. What a shame!

To the writer, Igbo women are truly great, they have been lucky to be within such a tolorable society. Igbos are not the only ones that are nigerians. Go to the northern part of the country and see for yourself. Even our very own eastern part, we have cultures that have not been favourable to women. What about the other southern part of the country? Women still suffer prejudices, unfair treatment, molestation, rape, violence, child marriage,labour and foot soldiers, and the list goes on.
I don't want to see a Nigeria like that Finland of yours. God forbid.
GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Kay17: 2:19pm On Jul 31, 2014
princefunmi: I'm usually at a loss when this feminism talks rears head. A lot of women advocate feminism without actually understanding its full implication - an implication that is a total contradiction of what the woman actually is and what she really wants.

Its one thing to advocate for a stop to the gender segregation many women suffer. Its quite another to advocate for equality. Its against the rules of nature, our very existence itself.

There lies the chauvinist's assumption that women lack intellectual capacity. It is glaring! There is no basis to believe African women are too shallow to scrape a little understanding of feminism. This is the inequality most feminists are against.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jul 31, 2014
joomiegirl:

Oho. Especially in relationships/ marriage. Lol @ "flee when its time to take responsibilities..." grin

Are you minding them? Men have God-given roles; the headaches and responsibilities of which I don't want, thank you very much!
I have enough to deal with in MY role as a woman grin.
Seriously, though!
And trust me, its NOT all about financial responsibilities!
Feminists want to dominate...doesn't seem to be "werking" for them...

These same feminists are the same people who will say "be a man", shuo! Or label someone a woman wrapper. What exactly is this equality they keep harping on about?! I don't seem to understand it. What percentage of equality are we actually going to practise? In what areas because I see a lot of picking and choosing. I'm confused. What do these people want that they don't already have?!

2 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by BlackKenichi(m): 2:35pm On Jul 31, 2014
I know for a fact that African feminists qualify as the worst globally—the least informed, specifically. And I’m not very surprised by this truth, given that they try to copy a Western ideology they know practically nothing about.
I defo agree with this comment. Black feminists just basically parrot whatever their white masters/mistresses tell them to say. Notice also that black feminists worship white men as gods
https://www.nairaland.com/1254189/feminism-why-women-general-especially

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by akigbemaru: 2:37pm On Jul 31, 2014
chidimamman Adichie with her divisive remarks again.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jul 31, 2014
Kay17:

There lies the chauvinist's assumption that women lack intellectual capacity. It is glaring! There is no basis to believe African women are too shallow to scrape a little understanding of feminism. This is the inequality most feminists are against.

If there is anyone making any assumption that women lack intellectual capacity, it is you. The only reason you would make such a statement is that you have no understanding of the concept of feminism itself. If you did, you will understand quite clearly, almost effortlessly, my outlook. In the grand scheme of things, feminism is potentially destructive to the human society.

The hard bitter truth that everyone fails to accept is that both sexes naturally assume a role much better that the other. Even the purist feminist will agree that some roles are better suited to the man folk than it is to the woman folk and vice versa. So how then can both Genders be equal when nature has already created that dichotomy - that clearly defined line that says this is male and this is female.

That's just the way it is. There is a reason why it has to be the man that would lay down his life to protect his family. There is a reason why there has to be a father figure in a household. There is a reason why under normal circumstances the man is considered the breadwinner in the house. These are just few of the many ways a feminist stance is not only weak but also seriously flawed. The spirit of feminism is borne out of the me-first nature of man and also the spirit of independence that so much pervades the Earth.

4 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jul 31, 2014
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jul 31, 2014
@ OP
Stop posting. It is clear you like to be abused by men. I can never allow any of my sisters to be used by men or used for any domesticated slavery. As I can see you are only going about the public positions in the country living out the areas that matter the most where women are relegated to the background in African society, the home and raising a family.

You just want to look objective to Chimanmada by all means and your points look out of place.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by BlackKenichi(m): 3:10pm On Jul 31, 2014
all4naija: @ OP
Stop posting. It is clear you like to be abused by men. I can never allow any of my sisters to be used by men or used for any domesticated slavery. As I can see you are only going about the public positions in the country living out the areas that matter the most where women are relegated to the background in African society, the home and raising a family.

You just want to look objective to Chimanmada by all means and your points look out of place.

Thank you.
My god man. Do you carry a purse and sit down on the toilet seat while taking a p1ss?
Stop being a mangina and grow a f*cking pair!

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jul 31, 2014
BlackKenichi:
My god man. Do you carry a purse and sit down on the toilet seat while taking a p1ss?
Stop being a mangina and grow a f*cking pair!

We have being hearing of pairs since time immemorial! I am not going to be a part of enslaving women all in the name of culture, pride and religion. It doesn't make you a man either. You aren't man enough, I guess!
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jul 31, 2014
akigbemaru: chidimamman Adichie with her divisive remarks again.
Fighting for the rights of women is now divisive. I would advise you take your male chauvinism to the forest village.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by BlackKenichi(m): 3:19pm On Jul 31, 2014
all4naija:
We have being hearing of pairs since time immemorial! I am not going to be a part of enslaving women all in the name of culture, pride and religion. It doesn't make you a man either. You aren't man enough, I guess!
So women making a choice to stay at home and bear children is now "enslavement"?
Male feminists are so confused!

2 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by mcino: 3:36pm On Jul 31, 2014
pickabeau1: cococandy.. any thoughts

contd...http://saharareporters.com/2014/07/29/adichie%E2%80%99s-feminism-vacuums-and-fallacies-gonzaga

A few observed points, though.
1. The op is a tactful hater of Adichie and intelligently gave the impression that the writer is a woman, so as to make the article more acceptable. This was not detected early enough, and he was able to run away with it and its attendant effect on the whole discourse. Oluchukwu Aloysius-Gonzaga Nwikwu is male and google (https://www.facebook.com/oluchukwualoysiusgonzaganwikwu) would have solved this, but the op chose to ride on people's ignorance to achieve a hate goal
2. The writer is a hater, otherwise remarks like "Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s ‘feminist’ views, as well as towards her [b]tasteless style of performance", especially the bolded wouldn't have been necessary. There are lots of such remarks, like "Unquestionably, Adichie has been everywhere with her opinions in recent years—ill-conceived as they are doomed to be—plus ever-willing to present them in manners that confirm a thorough lack of tact and class" and "Yes indeed, it’s OK to have strong opinions, but nothing confirms Adichie’s lack of a full integration into her American society—despite having spent many years there—than her consistently unashamed display of words betraying a lack of class.", which depicts a loser, who tries every inch to find a mate in pulling others to his un-existent world. His definition and understanding of class is sour and ill-driven.
3. He is petty, and that is why he made such a statement, "And so I’ll go ahead to remark that according to my Igbo culture, when a woman goes about town or country acting out of control and spewing sheer arrogance as has been the case with Adichie the writer, sensible adults tend to point fingers of blame at one ultimate culprit—a vacuum—and it specifically has to do with the absence of a real man in the woman’s life, either as a strong father figure, or as a strong and influential brother or partner. One could say ‘husband’ instead of ‘partner’ if they will. (And I add that this fourth is also the final vacuum.)". For Christ's sake, anybody that is trying, without bias to counter somebody's argument wouldn't go this far in attacking her person. This is petty and lacks the'class' that the writer touted, a handful times in this article.
4. The writer is an intellectual fraud. He tried to make the audience (and Nairaland audience actually fell for it) feel that Adichie was referring to the men, when he quoted Adichie to have in this; "Her reason was that as she struggled with multiple bags in a hotel elevator, citizens stood by and watched who could have helped or simply offered to assist her. Such a thing wouldn’t have happened in her beloved Nigeria, she said". His background information on this quote did not indicate in any way that Adichie was referring to men not helping him. Adichie could well be referring to the unfriendliness of the swedish. It doesn't matter whether it is a man or a woman. Anybody who is suffering under some luggage up a staircase, would expect the people, standing by to offer a hand of help, whether they are men or women, and when that doesn't come, the natural thing is think that such people are unfriendly. Why would the writer try to, dishonestly make us believe that Adichie was referring to male citizens, watching her struggling with her bags up an elevator?

Personally, i don't subscribe to feminism in any form and do not see any need to advance such radicalism, but if the speech you are referring to is the one here,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg3umXU_qWc, then you obviously and consciously misrepresented the lady, who in most of your submissions, you never liked a bit. In that speech, I could discern that Adichie is just like William Wilberforce, who once said, "If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever been in existence at large". She described how she came to be known as a feminist and how she has modified it to be an African Happy Feminist, which means that she understands the implication and the perception accompanying feminists and wouldn't wish to be one. However, I understand that she has a very strong feeling, which when she wants to communicate would be understood as being feminism and has no choice but to sweat under that cloak, even when it is not her intention.

Finally, Adichie is a diamond that has no hiding place. I understand that she is always sought out to come and deliver lectures and speeches, not because she so much craves for it, but because people always desire to hear from the people they feel have proved to be exceptional. She has a strong feeling and an opinion that she lets out, whenever she is sought out to speak and as it is said, she is entitled to it. Much as she is an influence, it behoves on all her critics to try and be like her (a star), so that when they are selected among the crowd to speak, they would equally share their own opinions. May be, people would buy theirs, and drop that of Adichie. Anything outside this will be the kind of ranting by Ebeneezer Williams, when Nnamdi Azikiwe was soliciting for fund to build the great University of Nigeria Nsukka. He mocked the idea of BSc Nsukka, etc, but today history has placed Ebeneezer Williams and Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe where they belong. While the former remained, till date a nobody, the latter is revered as Zik of Africa.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 31, 2014
Long live Chimamanda. I love this girl and all of her books. She is a great personality.

2 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by freecitizn: 4:28pm On Jul 31, 2014
OP thanks for the article. Had a good read. The discussants have also done justice with their comments.

"...Does not even nature itself teach you..."1 Cor 11:4

Seriously, I've been trying to wrap my head around the ideology of feminism with no success. I'm still very much open to any convincing, logical and disinterested argument for the cause. I believe men and women can coexist peacefully and cooperatively if they identify and fit in to their purpose and roles. We don't have ant colonies ranting about 'queen-antism', 'worker-antism', or 'soldier-antism', and that's why they are formidable.

As we are wont to do especially in Nigeria, we import ideals and values without fully understanding the concept, origin, objectives or consequences. Majorly just to sound/look savvy or intelligent. Worse still we almost always outdo the originators.

At the barest minimum, simply observing physiological and psychological differences between sexes show that we have different strengths, roles and capabilities. How about amicably harnessing and synergizing these for overall societal progress. We are not unequal, we are just different! or where exactly are we headed? When exactly would we have achieved complete feminism? When a couple draws a roster for sex change operations on alternately bearing and nursing children?

The law and society indeed has a slant towards women in some aspects and I don't hear complaints about that from either sex. Recently, I heard about a bank account/loan scheme strictly for business women. Are we subject to different to different inflation rates or economic conditions? Like people rightly pointed out, the name easily gives away its core bias and proclivities...'feminism'. If it was a sincere and egalitarian effort as it ostensibly claims to be, it would be 'humanism' or 'equalism'.

1000 likes to princefunmi and bootybuttchic. *replaces earphones and continues imbibing yanni*

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pickabeau1: 4:47pm On Jul 31, 2014
Very good points... good to see a debate rooted in fact rather than fact

I did not write the article and I also initially thought the writer was female.. this in itself raises a very pertinent question which raises it head globally on gender issues

Must i be female to understand female issues.

Second/third point
On class that i cannot discuss on as the author may know more of Adichie personally

On making a reference to her lack of father figure or partner.. i wouldnt know also

Fourth point

Now you are attacking the writer doing the same thing you accused him of calling him a fraud

Is she entitiled to get people to perform chivalric acts as chivalry is unnecessary in an equal society
In a truly equal society male and female are equal and gender roles are nonexistent
So no chilvalric acts - i notice you did not comment there

You also did not make references to statements she has made on achebe and her seeming pandering to the West

mcino:
A few observed points, though.
1. The op is a tactful hater of Adichie and intelligently gave the impression that the writer is a woman, so as to make the article more acceptable. This was not detected early enough, and he was able to run away with it and its attendant effect on the whole discourse. Oluchukwu Aloysius-Gonzaga Nwikwu is male and google (https://www.facebook.com/oluchukwualoysiusgonzaganwikwu) would have solved this, but the op chose to ride on people's ignorance to achieve a hate goal
2. The writer is a hater, otherwise remarks like "Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s ‘feminist’ views, as well as towards her [b]tasteless style of performance", especially the bolded wouldn't have been necessary. There are lots of such remarks, like "Unquestionably, Adichie has been everywhere with her opinions in recent years—ill-conceived as they are doomed to be—plus ever-willing to present them in manners that confirm a thorough lack of tact and class" and "Yes indeed, it’s OK to have strong opinions, but nothing confirms Adichie’s lack of a full integration into her American society—despite having spent many years there—than her consistently unashamed display of words betraying a lack of class.", which depicts a loser, who tries every inch to find a mate in pulling others to his un-existent world. His definition and understanding of class is sour and ill-driven.
3. He is petty, and that is why he made such a statement, "And so I’ll go ahead to remark that according to my Igbo culture, when a woman goes about town or country acting out of control and spewing sheer arrogance as has been the case with Adichie the writer, sensible adults tend to point fingers of blame at one ultimate culprit—a vacuum—and it specifically has to do with the absence of a real man in the woman’s life, either as a strong father figure, or as a strong and influential brother or partner. One could say ‘husband’ instead of ‘partner’ if they will. (And I add that this fourth is also the final vacuum.)". For Christ's sake, anybody that is trying, without bias to counter somebody's argument wouldn't go this far in attacking her person. This is petty and lacks the'class' that the writer touted, a handful times in this article.
4. The writer is an intellectual fraud. He tried to make the audience (and Nairaland audience actually fell for it) feel that Adichie was referring to the men, when he quoted Adichie to have in this; "Her reason was that as she struggled with multiple bags in a hotel elevator, citizens stood by and watched who could have helped or simply offered to assist her. Such a thing wouldn’t have happened in her beloved Nigeria, she said". His background information on this quote did not indicate in any way that Adichie was referring to men not helping him. Adichie could well be referring to the unfriendliness of the swedish. It doesn't matter whether it is a man or a woman. Anybody who is suffering under some luggage up a staircase, would expect the people, standing by to offer a hand of help, whether they are men or women, and when that doesn't come, the natural thing is think that such people are unfriendly. Why would the writer try to, dishonestly make us believe that Adichie was referring to male citizens, watching her struggling with her bags up an elevator?

Personally, i don't subscribe to feminism in any form and do not see any need to advance such radicalism, but if the speech you are referring to is the one here, htt://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg3umXU_qWc, then you obviously and consciously misrepresented the lady, who in most of your submissions, you never liked a bit. In that speech, I could discern that Adichie is just like William Wilberforce, who once said, "If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever been in existence at large". She described how she came to be known as a feminist and how she has modified it to be an African Happy Feminist, which means that she understands the implication and the perception accompanying feminists and wouldn't wish to be one. However, I understand that she has a very strong feeling, which when she wants to communicate would be understood as being feminism and has no choice but to sweat under that cloak, even when it is not her intention.

Finally, Adichie is a diamond that has no hiding place. I understand that she is always sought out to come and deliver lectures and speeches, not because she so much craves for it, but because people always desire to hear from the people they feel have proved to be exceptional. She has a strong feeling and an opinion that she lets out, whenever she is sought out to speak and as it is said, she is entitled to it. Much as she is an influence, it behoves on all her critics to try and be like her (a star), so that when they are selected among the crowd to speak, they would equally share their own opinions. May be, people would buy theirs, and drop that of Adichie. Anything outside this will be the kind of ranting by Ebeneezer Williams, when Nnamdi Azikiwe was soliciting for fund to build the great University of Nigeria Nsukka. He mocked the idea of BSc Nsukka, etc, but today history has placed Ebeneezer Williams and Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe where they belong. While the former remained, till date a nobody, the latter is revered as Zik of Africa.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Husbands Who Demand Their Wives Submit Their Salaries To Them / Housewife Destroys Flat Screen Television Over Issues With Husband / RELOCATION SALE: PLOT OF LAND WITH GERMAN FLOOR. I OWN IT!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.