Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 (18392 Views)

Ratings: Top 20 Nigerian Players On FIFA 16 / FIFA To Ban Nigeria By The End Of Today If... / FIFA To Investigate Footballer With 4 Birthdays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by Snoggy(m): 10:11pm On Jul 30, 2014
US senators have called on nations to put pressure on Fifa to consider moving the 2018 World Cup finals away from Russia.

Relations between the U.S. and Russia have cooled considerably in 2014, with Russian support for separatists in east Ukraine causing a rift to widen, and the disaster involving Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 has only served to increase misgivings about allowing the country to host football's greatest tournament.

UK deputy prime minister Nick Clegg claimed earlier this month that it would be "unthinkable" to allow Russia to host the finals in 2018 unless there is a change in their conduct in Ukraine, and in March, two Republican senators from America sent a letter to Sepp Blatter requesting the World Cup to be moved.
Now, two further American politicians - including former presidential candidate John
McCain - have urged Fifa to consider withdrawing Russia's privilege to host the tournament.

"I think it absolutely should be reconsidered, but I would hasten to add that a unilateral decision by the United States would not bode well," John McCain told ABC/ESPN's Capitol Games podcast.
"I'm old enough to remember that after the Russian invasion of Afghanistan the United States withdrew from the Olympics, as you might recall, and it was not popular over time. So if we can get the international community to do that, I'm absolutely totally behind it."

The senior senator from Arizona, who was
the Republican party's nominee for president in 2008, said it would take more than simply an American effort for Fifa to begin to consider a host change. "I'd like to see the United States and others — say, the British perhaps and other countries — raise the issue in ordinary meetings, periodic meetings that they have. Say: 'We need to discuss this issue. Is it appropriate to have this venue in Russia at this particular time, and aren't there other countries that would be far less controversial?'"

"If in the face of a downed airliner, in the face of crippling sanctions from the European Union, Putin thumbs his nose at the international community and continues to send in arms and personnel into eastern Ukraine, then I'm not sure how you reward this guy and his government with a major international competition," added Chris Murphy, a Democratic senator from Connecticut, before urging for pressure to mount on Russia.

"You have to do it by the end of the year. You can't take the chance that this guy is going to calm down and start behaving — because what if another Ukraine crisis erupts in the winter of 2017-2018?"

Football's governing body has rejected calls to move the tournament as recently as July 25.

"History has shown so far that boycotting sport events or a policy of isolation or. confrontation are not the most effective ways to solve problems," Fifa said in a statement.

http://m.goal.com/x/en/news/4993632

3 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by Mynd44: 5:13am On Jul 31, 2014
They keep pushing Putin to become hostile. When he reacts accordingly, they scream "bloody murder"

38 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by MrRhymes101(m): 5:16am On Jul 31, 2014
bring it to naija. there is enough space in sambisa to build another stadium

23 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by sammieguze(m): 5:17am On Jul 31, 2014
I love this kinda heat.

Round one.... Fight
Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by seunlayi(m): 5:18am On Jul 31, 2014
the hosting right should be awarded to Bornu or Kano state ASAP

5 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by Nobody: 5:19am On Jul 31, 2014
why US like to dey bully other countries can't they live and let live. Na wa o

51 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by mstik(f): 5:19am On Jul 31, 2014
What is wrong with these people? First they called for sanctions for Nigeria for making homosexuality illegal now they want to remove Russia as the host of the next worldcup Is it that they don't have any issues in their own country that they have enough time to poke-nose in other country's affairs?

60 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by pelvicky(m): 5:20am On Jul 31, 2014
Make dem no fight,,,Nigeria will host in 2018, so dat i fit talk 2 dis brazilian ladies,,dey hot die

4 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by Nobody: 5:20am On Jul 31, 2014
For once these US senators are making sense.

14 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by Chrisabig(m): 5:21am On Jul 31, 2014
Putin have not seen anything yet, time will come when he will go on his kneel and beg never to be hard man again.

5 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by ChemicalMallam(m): 5:21am On Jul 31, 2014
Ok
Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by jayseehe(m): 5:21am On Jul 31, 2014
Putin is a great match for USA, I love him so much

62 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by peterkul(m): 5:22am On Jul 31, 2014
USA ooooo.........make ina mind una business....abi na only U waka coMe?

6 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by Nobody: 5:23am On Jul 31, 2014
These people are wicked... They hate people whom they can't subdue.

53 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by Nobody: 5:23am On Jul 31, 2014
Russia again? First it was no Qatar 2022, now no Russia 2018. I smell corruption!

3 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by Smartsyn(m): 5:23am On Jul 31, 2014
Why are these US senators not minding their business.

19 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by BRAV0O(m): 5:23am On Jul 31, 2014
US are being baseless , can you imagine this useless senators treating to sanction nigeria not over security reasons not over any other reasons among all the problem facing nigeria, all because of gay rights or no gay rights.

In fact the world today is poo!

23 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by Eddibloc(m): 5:25am On Jul 31, 2014
USA r u a god of nations? Y pry into other countries palaba..na only una waka cum?

3 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by Celepope: 5:25am On Jul 31, 2014
So on point.Putin has to be taught a lesson.Russia should be stripped of the world cup hosting right

4 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by shadowwalker101: 5:27am On Jul 31, 2014
US and russia always at war
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by charlesopp(m): 5:28am On Jul 31, 2014
Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by Yoney007(f): 5:29am On Jul 31, 2014
Shits happens when you ain't loyal....#US and poke nosing tho'

2 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by Nobody: 5:29am On Jul 31, 2014
-

4 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by adezjamz(m): 5:31am On Jul 31, 2014
How exactly does war look like?
Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by Rogers210(m): 5:35am On Jul 31, 2014
I see this as tantrums from a frustrated self proclaimed world power. Russia will host the WORLD CUP and the worst the US can do is to boycott it. If they boycott, nobody will miss them. UP PUTIN.

49 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by mstik(f): 5:35am On Jul 31, 2014
I'm telling you! They feel that they should lord it over all and when they feel they are not in command, they attack.
emmyrichie: These people are wicked... They hate people whom they can't subdue.

4 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by coolzeal(m): 5:35am On Jul 31, 2014
Since the dissolution of the Soviet Union, America with its enormous military might, act as a global sheriff, policing the world's trouble spots? These two countries need to stop inviting war because with the high level of hydrogen bomb and nuclear capabilities, None will remain on earth if World War III is effectively enacted. F*uck it Am moving to space.

18 Likes

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by HoLEEsinner: 5:36am On Jul 31, 2014

1 Like

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by Talkcentral: 5:37am On Jul 31, 2014
h

1 Like

Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by phabulux: 5:39am On Jul 31, 2014
To tell you the truth, I think...

...(yawn)

... I've got to shhiittt
Re: US Senators Call For Pressure on Fifa To Strip Russia Of Worldcup 2018 by Nobody: 5:39am On Jul 31, 2014
Hehehehe!

These Americans sef grin

Dem wan start the one wey dem no go fit finish.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

AFCONQ: Super Eagles Fly Out To Bissau For Guinea-Bissau Clash (Video) / Greenwood Will Not Play For Man United This Season – Investigation / Barcelona Sink To Bottom Of Group E After 3-0 Loss To Benfica

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.