Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,743 members, 7,824,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:25 AM

Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? - Romance (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? (24909 Views)

.... / Age Difference Sure Matters In 'Will You Marry Me?' / Is It Ok To Sleep With Ur Partner In Courtship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by ezotik: 1:03pm On Oct 19, 2012
lol @ the christianity vs science debate.

the catholic church in nigeria are bloody hypocrites. so because it is now scientifically possible to know ur genotype, they are demanding for test before marriage. but what is not scientifically possible, they leave it to faith.

it is not scientifically possible for a man given birth to by a virgin to die and rise after three days, and then ascend to the high heavens never to be seen again without being a lost astronaut. but i guess we should leave that to faith? ...yeah right!

but one thing i wonder though, how did our forbearers cope with the disease before oyibo man discovered sickle cell gene in the black man barely a 100 years ago? did they also do selective breeding like we have been advised by oyibo?

1 Like

Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by ceejayluv(m): 1:07pm On Oct 19, 2012
Harpesin:

Hardcore truth........try to confirm this on your own,go to your villa and count how many homes have SS patient compare to cities.... I stayed in the village for over 10years b4 coming to Lagos to hussle, all my years in the villa i only know of a boi wen i was in primary school who happened to be SS after that till i left that villa i did not see such again....this genotype of a thing does not exist or common in the villa, you see whom you love and you go ahead with the processing ....though i met mine in Lagos.....this SS of a thing is common with rich and its only God that knows while....Local herbs and roots will automatically turn the child to AA in the villa but in the city na una sabi ao una take dey gett am ooo.....I turst my brothers from Eastern part their mama go don arrange wife keep for them once they go home during xmas the next thing na to bring Chidinma to Lagos they dont consult any doctor to check for them if the genotype is dis or dat.....Am not saying its not real but not common as people are clamouring it and it has nothing to do with marriage if your faith in God is firm.......

For the records... This is the most ignorant post I've ever read on nl...
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Sweetdoct247(m): 1:23pm On Oct 19, 2012
ceejayluv:

God will bless u, m still waiting to come across a more ignorant post, in fact ignorance is an understatement, it's pathological ignorance otherwise if the guy had any ability think he Wld know that ss patients in the city r likely to have access to better and specific care aimed at ensuring their longevity and hence u r likely to come across them however in the villages where many of them die before they r 5 due to minimal or even lack of access to quality health care. Hence u tend not to see them around. It's a case of survival of the fittest.
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by ezotik: 1:32pm On Oct 19, 2012
blogger2tooker:

FAITH IS ALIVE AND NOT DEAD. ESPECIALLY WHEN IT IS PLACED ON GODS WORD. GENOTYPE OR NO GENOTYPE MY BLOOD GROUP AND THOSE OF MY FAMILY IS CALLED JESUSTYPE.

grin grin bros, nor be lie and i believe u. after all the same bible that the catholics believe in says, with ur faith u can move mountains. so wetin be common genotype.
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Toktee(m): 1:56pm On Oct 19, 2012
ACM10:
Why include my handle in you guys religious tomfoolery? I only quoted bible verses to expose the stvpidity of Blogger2tooker's religious point of view. Anyone who decides to take action against the medical advice should live with its consequence. That's what we call proper counselling and informed consent.
People like you suppose to be lock up permanetely in a mental home cos mentally you are not ok,contribute to topic and stop insult,as for what you worship i dont care to know if you want worship bhuda,idols,or anything i dont care and where you go hereafter iz not my buzzines ok
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by ACM10: 3:33pm On Oct 19, 2012
Toktee: People like you suppose to be lock up permanetely in a mental home cos mentally you are not ok,contribute to topic and stop insult,as for what you worship i dont care to know if you want worship bhuda,idols,or anything i dont care and where you go hereafter iz not my buzzines ok
Should I respond to you in kind?

NAH!

(((Hits IGNORE button)))

1 Like

Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Sweetdoct247(m): 3:38pm On Oct 19, 2012
X-factoria:
The whole AS/AS thing is overrated! Wait! Read my full story before you judge me.

To be candid, AS/AS pairing is a risk because medically, there is a 25% chance of having an SS child. That is also the same chance of having an AA but unfortunately, people create automatic SS in their minds once they hear AS/AS. It is possible for the pairing to have 10 children without having SS. Mathematically, the more number of children you plan to have, the higher the risk.

However, It amazes me why people ignore the bigger possibility of 75% chance of having no SS. I wil advise people who wants to do it to weigh their options and be convinced that they can face the consequence before they go ahead. Often times, it is the negative comments like the one that abound here on Nairaland that weakens people faith.

Let me further blow your minds, marriage is not only about children and I think a lot of people are missing this point. If having children is the main reason you want to get married, then you may want to weigh your options.

My story: My wife and I are both AS and my daughter is AS. We didn't do any selective abortion. My wife is the only woman in this world I found peace in getting married to and we didn't get married because we want to have children. Don't get me wrong, children are good but for us, our companionship is much more important. When we decided to procreate, we took the matter to God and found peace in doing it. We took our case to our maker and we have a testimony. I am not saying this would work for everyone. I am saying all these things because people focus so much on negativity and my stance has nothing to do with religion. There are many things that could bring unhappiness to a marriage or even create health issues. How many people do a complete health check on their spouse before marriage? Their are many people that are as good as a walking corpse medically (note I said medically) but as long as they are AA a lot of people are happy to marry them. There are so many AAs with terrible characters and other health problems other than genotype.

Every decision in life has a risk element. I think people who wants to go into marriage should sit down and decide what is really important to them. Good character or genotype? Would you take a 25% risk of SS and rather have a wonderful spouse or would you marry an AA and have a devilish spouse that would make your life miserable?

The choice is clear!

In as much as I agree with u that marriage is firstly abt the companionship (mind u that's just in our opinions, lotta people out there don't feel that way) most married couples want to av children. And in most cases yes that 25% risk is enof reason not to go ahead with it. And u seem not to realize that the 25% risk is every child that the couple brings into this world. ie all, none or part the children can be ss. I've seen a family with 5 children 2 of which r ss and also lost both of em later.

A ss patient is a child just like any other but they require a different kind of care. U've never experienced takin care of an ss child otherwise u'd probably av a different opinion. It can be a huge financial, emotional and psychological stress on all the family members yes not just the parents and the child. It can even threaten the companionship u seem to be going on and on abt or push it to a distant background. Consider the facts that

A huge part of the family income may have to be directed towards keeping the child alive especially in a nation like ours where most families r struggling financially.

The frequent hospital visits which nobody likes

This child may not be able to do a lot of things his/pairs do for fun as many of those tend to trigger crises, u might have a hard time making the child understand that and that may even do things to him/her psychologically especially if the parents r not really understanding.

What of the other children who might not even be able to cope with the issue of their seemingly weak bro/sis whom they might even think is getting more care and attention from daddy and mommy

Truth is the list goes on and on, buh the meat of it is that unless u r absolutely sure u don't want to have children AS/AS marriage isn't advisable no matter what companionship or love u seem to be enjoying.

Yes SCD children can live a normal life buh most families just cant afford to give em that life

It requires the kind of understanding which most parents don't have considering that the enlightened ones will avoid having to go thru that anyway.

Places on the family a kind of stress that might be hard to cope with
And whether we like it or many of em still die despite care and all causing the family grief.

So NO SIR! This issue is not overrated at all. It's a serious matter. I blv Google is everybody's friend maybe u shld try reading abt people's experiences or even interact with people around u that have experienced it and then really decide if it's overrated really

2 Likes

Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Sweetdoct247(m): 4:01pm On Oct 19, 2012
blaise26.abj:
we have a family-friend with 3 kids and all are SS and one is late. My best female friend lost a sister to the genetic disorder. My brother's best-friend died as a result of that as well. Suppy-joe, a very funny neighbor also passed on. DONT PLAY POKER WITH SOMEONE'S HAPPINESS /HEALTH JUST BECAUSE U THINK U HAVE FOUND LOVE. Yes, ur unborn child's feelings should be a factor. One of my close friends said this after his SS brother died," i thank God he is dead.I could see the toll it was taking on the family especially my parents. It is a very terrible experience that i can't wish my enemy"

On the other hand, i heard there is a medical procedure to alter the genotype of children now. I think i read something about it and a hospital in Edo state carried it out successfully. Medical people oya talk now o.
It shall be well with u. This caps it all up.
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by blogger2tooker: 4:19pm On Oct 19, 2012
Sweetdoct247: It shall be well with u. This caps it all up.

NO IT DOES NOT!
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Harpesin(m): 6:36pm On Oct 19, 2012
ceejayluv:

Why not make your own proof and lets see....Am talking of what i know and sure of....You people just subscribe to what Oyinbo brings witot finding out how it come to be....can you tell me the causes of SS Genotype....Mr 2know....
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Ideevic(m): 9:00pm On Oct 19, 2012
Pls check ur Genotype b4 u tie knot.
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by mamasy: 9:11pm On Oct 19, 2012
pls pls and pls... dont try it ,,,
my mum is AC while my dad is As.... we are 4 children
1st male= ss(dead)
2nd female= ac
3rd male=AA
4th female- ac

plssss, i beg u dnt again..
my father hung himself when my elder brother died, thank God for intervention from people that came in early enough.
few years later, nothing pleased my parents, dey were always at loggerhead on who caused d death of my brother. ther was never peace in the house as they kept blaming themselves as to wondering what went wrong.
i kud imagine what they went through,
no matter d so called unconditional love u claim u have for ur spouse, d love will fade cos ull keep feeling the loss. and it becomes more painful if ur knowledgeable and still turn deaf ears,,,
why would u want to abort a child in the first place when u kan as well avert it,, God didnt bring us to suffer in this world thats y he made AA for AS or AC and not AS for AS. dont force ur self to love, ignorance is not an excuse.
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Safari29: 12:39pm On Jan 03, 2015
3 years gone and I still miss her dearly, no one can never be like her. I love you Abeebat and I wish you the best in ur new home. May Almighty Allah grant me my heart desire.

believe me if it had happened now I wudnt give a darmn about the outcome. past three years had bn terrible. I struggle miserably everyday but cudnt find anyone to fill the vacuum u created. Am tired and I regretted ever parted ways with you. U are the one i will always miss I love u Abeebat Adebambo

1 Like

Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Abali1(m): 7:05am On Jan 12, 2015
Safari29:
3 years gone and I still miss her dearly, no one can never be like her. I love you Abeebat and I wish you the best in ur new home. May Almighty Allah grant me my heart desire.

believe me if it had happened now I wudnt give a darmn about the outcome. past three years had bn terrible. I struggle miserably everyday but cudnt find anyone to fill the vacuum u created. Am tired and I regretted ever parted ways with you. U are the one i will always miss I love u Abeebat Adebambo
It's well.
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by pearlruth(f): 6:55am On Jun 24, 2016
Hy guys. Am AA and my fiance is SS. Is the chances of us getting married and living a happy life much.
I just want to know. I love this guy very much and he loves me too.
Re: Does Genotype Really Matters In Courtship? by Oluwatosin27(m): 1:28am On Jun 25, 2016
Both of u are ok. U can get married, am an ss patient and am sure of what am saying. Everyday I pray to God to bless me with a lady that will love and accept me for whom I am. So pls u don't have to worry.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ladies Ask Any Question, First Guy To Nail It Earns An Exclusive PM From You / The Foolish Experience I Had The First Time I Got Laid / the secret of Female Waist Bead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.