Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,916 members, 7,817,688 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! (15916 Views)

Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? / You're Not A Nigerian If You Didn't Do These Things As A Child / Give Me A Child And Get 250k, Twins 500k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Illuminatus(m): 11:08am On Aug 04, 2014
Nobody is born a dummy. Everyone is born with relative equal brain size. But various children develop mentally due to environment, especially parents, school and emotional stimuli. Most Nigerians don't know or agree with this and this the first mistake. Parents must start training their ward mentally as soon as possible, 3 years. The thing is that at some point, it becomes too late to make substancial progress. Your cousin isn't academically hopeless yet. You guys just need to stop antagonising him and understand that he isn't willingly failing.

1 Like

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by bigfrancis21: 11:09pm On Aug 04, 2014
nedu2000: I know most parents talk about how their kids finish 1st in class then who's the child that finishes last!!
My uncle's 16-yr-old child is such a person,he's dad bribed his way into secondary after he failed common entrance,after repeating JS1 and JS 2 twice,his dad was called in by his school principal(govt school) to come and carry away his ward!!My uncle not knowing what to do,send my cousin down to Lagos to live with us and join my little brother in his school(they are both age-mates but my brother is in SS3).
In Lagos,he couldn't pass the qualifying exam to my broher's school so we had to make do with one of those secondary schools that don't arrange such exams. In school,the results didn't change 22nd/24 students after 3 attempts in the same class?haba.He also possesses criminal tendencies as he forged his last term results,he doesn't write notes claiming he's a slow writer and its a natural liar. His parents are confused.
Surely there are parents who's wards aren't(weren't) doing well academically,what's the way out? sad

Truly, school is not meant for everyboy. It's only in Nigeria where every Tom, Dicck, and Harry is forced to go to school irrespective of academic capability. The Nigerian society considers any non-university graduate inferior no matter how rich they may be and hence the drives for everybody to go to school. Such a child you mentioned has untapped talents somewhere else he can exceed greatly at. He might not be good at academics but could be a successful astute business man, having more money than the so-called educated ones.

The major reason we all go to school in the first place is all because of money - to make money. Going to school and having a job isn't the only way route to making money in life. Being street smart and business minded also gets you there.

TuFace is excelling today in his line of music but might as well perform poorly in academics. Everybody just has to discover oneself and what fits one the most. Ever noticed that most of the world's richest today either did not go to school(university) or dropped out in high school. Those were the ones seen as ne'er-do-wells in school and having no future.

One thing i've learnt is never to look down on someone because of academic capability. During my service year, I taught Mathematics at a secondary school. Some of my students were just not good at maths no matter how easy the question I solved was nor how many times I repeatedly taught the question. They just never got it. I didn't look down on them nor considered them failures. These people have areas which they will excel at, but they just have to discover it.

1 Like

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by nedu2000(m): 8:16am On Aug 05, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Truly, school is not meant for everyboy. It's only in Nigeria where every Tom, Dicck, and Harry is forced to go to school irrespective of academic capability. The Nigerian society considers any non-university graduate inferior no matter how rich they may be and hence the drives for everybody to go to school. Such a child you mentioned has untapped talents somewhere else he can exceed greatly at. He might not be good at academics but could be a successful astute business man, having more money than the so-called educated ones.

The major reason we all go to school in the first place is all because of money - to make money. Going to school and having a job isn't the only way route to making money in life. Being street smart and business minded also gets you there.

TuFace is excelling today in his line of music but might as well perform poorly in academics. Everybody just has to discover oneself and what fits one the most. Ever noticed that most of the world's richest today either did not go to school(university) or dropped out in high school. Those were the ones seen as ne'er-do-wells in school and having no future.

One thing i've learnt is never to look down on someone because of academic capability. During my service year, I taught Mathematics at a secondary school. Some of my students were just not good at maths no matter how easy the question I solved was nor how many times I repeatedly taught the question. They just never got it. I didn't look down on them nor considered them failures. These people have areas which they will excel at, but they just have to discover it.
but theirs something like basic education of which every child is required to pass through,from where I started keeping tabs(his common entrance)he's never passed an exam!!he wrote junior waec few months back....how go a business man can he be,haba, basic education.
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by zurine(f): 11:38am On Aug 06, 2014
hmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Some Nigerian Men And Their Popular "I Will Marry U Syndrome" / Why Should A Wife Deny Her Husband Sex & What To Do If It Was You / Should I Be More Selfish?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.