Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:14 PM

There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! - Foreign Affairs (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! (77997 Views)

Who Hasn't Heard About This Thing Going On In Uganda? See What 2 Girls Are Doing / Snowing In Johannesburg Right Now (pics) / Pictures Of London Riot Looters! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by Fulaman198(m): 6:38pm On Aug 20, 2014
EbolaParasite:

I trust the one that pays my checks. Take a chill pill and quit being racist. Yes whites committed crimes. Must you keep castigating? Whites started slavery and whites also abolished it. Trust me, if the tables were turned around and blacks had been the one that started taking white slaves, we'd still have slavery in 2014 so y'all need to let go already.

You sound like an Ebola Parasite yourself

3 Likes

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by anonymous6(f): 6:59pm On Aug 20, 2014
BWOH2D:

It would go a long way with us if someone would speak up about the situation. After all, we supported Bring our Girls back, had protests/rallies etc. It's called support. Egypt, China, Germany etc have spoken out about this. It's selfish and unappreciative imo to want support and then not give it. These places all have national issues and they spoke up.

As I said this is a american issue and they can handle it by themselves. Many people around the world spoke about the Trayvon issue from Australia to South Africa(some agreed with Zimmerman & some with Trayvon) but didn't involve themselves in it, just because all countries plus Nigeria is speaking about this is irrelevant, after all they were all speaking about "Bring back our girls" but that still doesn't mean it's their problem. Nigeria still has their problems(as a non-western country) and this is not one of them. I'm a American born Nigerian and I feel Nigerians should concentrate on Boko Haram and put their energy on National issue's not Ferguson. The Nigerians I'm around are talking about Boko Haram & The Ebola outbreak not the Ferguson fiasco(at least not more then a few mins). Nobody deserves to get shot but Nigeria is going through their own and not going in African american forums demanding they fight for them.
I don't think it's selfish. Ferguson is not Nigeria's Problem.

3 Likes

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 11:01pm On Aug 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

You are talking about the past. The war thing is more about Russia wanting to own Ukraine. Do you see America, Germany, England and France quarreling.

Yes
Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by Horus(m): 11:20pm On Aug 20, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7tTsEYE3Ms

[size=17pt]Witness: Michael Brown Was 'Shot Like An Animal' | NBC News[/size]

1 Like

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by xp17(m): 11:51pm On Aug 20, 2014
anonymous6:

As I said this is a american issue and they can handle it by themselves, many people around the world spoke about the Trayvon issue(some agreed with Zimmerman) but didn't invlove themselves in it, just because all countries plus Nigeria is speaking about this is irrelevant, after all they were all speaking about Bring back our girls but that still doesn't mean it's their problem. Nigeria still has their problems as a non-western country, and this is not one of them. I was born and raised in America and I feel Nigerians should concentrate on Boko Haram and put their energy on National issue's.
I don't think it's selfish. Ferguson is not Nigeria's Problem.
Madame, an injury to one, is an injury to all. yes, st Louis county isn't in Nigeria, and no one is talking about the st Louis county. what we are talking about is racial discrimination involved. and what happened to mike Brown is not just Ferguson's , but to the entire black race, which comprises on Nigeria and other black Africa countries.

Nigeria has her problems, likewise the States. when the states declared a war against Iraq and Afghanistian, it was not Nigeria's problem, hence she kept mute. hitherto, Nigerians has not interfered in the uprising in West , because it's none of her business. even when her neighbor, the Liberians ,were dieing of Ebola, it wasn't Nigeria's business , until the "mad man" brought it in.

there's been a lot of improvement about the racial disparities, but not good enough. the black race deserves to be in an egalitarian society with the rest.

we need justice.
when do we need it? now!
no justice, no rest.

2 Likes

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by anonymous6(f): 12:11am On Aug 21, 2014
xp17: Madame, an injury to one, is an injury to all. yes, st Louis county isn't in Nigeria, and no one is talking about the st Louis county. what we are talking about is racial discrimination involved. and what happened to mike Brown is not just Ferguson's , but to the entire black race, which comprises on Nigeria and other black Africa countries.

Nigeria has her problems, likewise the States. when the states declared a war against Iraq and Afghanistian, it was not Nigeria's problem, hence we kept mute. hitherto, Nigerians has not interfered in the uprising in West , because it's none of her business. even when her neighbor, the Liberians ,were dieing of Ebola, it wasn't Nigeria's business , until the "mad man" brought it in.

there's been a lot of improvement, but not good enough. the black race deserves to be in an egalitarian society with the rest.

we need justice.
when do we need it? now!
no justice, no rest.

Sorry it is a Ferguson issue, Racial discrimination? TRAYVON MARTIN YES, this case hmmm, please take that to african american forums. Walking in the middle of the street and not cooperating with a policeman doesn't sound like racial discrimination, it sounds like a troublemaker(whether he was asian, white, black and etc). Many media outlets(especially CNN a hour ago) have said that witnesses who were all black american and were present there, have conflicting stories about what happened after the cop stopped him in the middle of the road, some said Brown provoked the cop or the cop took it to far. What the hell was he doing in the middle of the road in the first place? in Nigeria he would have been knocked down on the road. Like I said this is a Ferguson issue, since certain behaviors are allowed in America but in Nigeria No. Did Mike Brown deserve to die? HELL NO, does racial profilining/discrimination exist in America? HELL YES, but was it racial discrimination?............
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/ferguson-police-name-michael-brown
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/18/us/missouri-teen-shooting/index.html
http://nypost.com/2014/08/19/witnesses-say-ferguson-teen-attacked-cop-before-shooting/

The OP asked what africans felt about this Ferguson rioting, and people are giving their opinions but that's where it will end with most africans because this is not a issue that hit close to home to them, it's actually Ebola that did. The Trayvon case had more africans talking but that didn't nudge them like Ebola has done. What they need is President Obama, Oprah and more african american celebrities to speak up about this like they did in Trayvon Martins case, not africans.

3 Likes

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by Nobody: 1:20am On Aug 21, 2014
MrMac10: I AM SURE IF IT WERE A WHITE BOY... OH THAT BOY WOULD HAVE BEEN A ROCKET SCIENTIST, AN ASSET TO THE ECONOMY... WOE BETIDE ALL THE SAMBOS ... THE WHITE MAN DOES NOT CARE about ANYONE OF COLOR...I CANT WAIT FOR THE DAY A NIGERIAN WOULD BE GIVEN THEIR NIGGER WAKE UP CALL ....NIGERIANS OVER HERE ALWAYS READY TO KISS WHITE ASS AT THE SLIGHTEST INSTANCE .... PROUDLY BLACK TILL THE DEATH OF ME

If it would've been a Black Cop/White Boy, I guarantee you it wouldn't have been sensationalized like this. Forget the cops, check the Black on White murder stats in the US.

The fact is, Black America's real problem isn't White racism.

There you go calling yourself an N. Is that your PRIDE talking? undecided

8 Likes

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 1:59am On Aug 21, 2014
It is let's not fool ourselves ...

3 Likes

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by soulglo: 3:33am On Aug 21, 2014
anonymous6:

Sorry it is a Ferguson issue, Racial discrimination? TRAYVON MARTIN YES, this case hmmm, please take that to african american forums. Walking in the middle of the street and not cooperating with a policeman doesn't sound like racial discrimination, it sounds like a troublemaker(whether he was asian, white, black and etc). Many media outlets(especially CNN a hour ago) have said that witnesses who were all black american and were present there, have conflicting stories about what happened after the cop stopped him in the middle of the road, some said Brown provoked the cop or the cop took it to far. What the hell was he doing in the middle of the road in the first place? in Nigeria he would have been knocked down on the road. Like I said this is a Ferguson issue, since certain behaviors are allowed in America but in Nigeria No. Did Mike Brown deserve to die? HELL NO, does racial profilining/discrimination exist in America? HELL YES, but was it racial discrimination?............
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/ferguson-police-name-michael-brown
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/18/us/missouri-teen-shooting/index.html
http://nypost.com/2014/08/19/witnesses-say-ferguson-teen-attacked-cop-before-shooting/

The OP asked what africans felt about this Ferguson rioting, and people are giving their opinions but that's where it will end with most africans because this is not a issue that hit close to home to them, it's actually Ebola that did. The Trayvon case had more africans talking but that didn't nudge them like Ebola has done. What they need is President Obama, Oprah and more african american celebrities to speak up about this like they did in Trayvon Martins case, not africans.

So basically you're saying let's benefit from something you refuse to contribute to. Are you black? Do you live in the United States? If you answered yes to any of those questions then it is your problem too. Not "their" problem

1 Like

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by anonymous6(f): 3:43am On Aug 21, 2014
soulglo:

So basically you're saying let's benefit from something you refuse to contribute to. Are you black? Do you live in the United States? If you answered yes to any of those questions then it is your problem too. Not "their" problem

Benefit from what exactly? protesting on the street right? I am black and live in the United states I was born in America from Nigerian parents. Their is racism in America and all blacks(Caribbean, africans and etc) living in America experience it one way or another but the way each community reacts and addresses it is totally different. African americans mentality of how they address racism is different from Africans majority of the time. So their problem and our problem does creep up sometimes. Do you see black Hispanics living in America saying everything going on in the african american community is their problem to?

3 Likes

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by soulglo: 3:47am On Aug 21, 2014
anonymous6:

Benefit from what exactly? I am black and live in the United states I was born in America.

So why do you think we should not be a part of what's going on
Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by anonymous6(f): 3:56am On Aug 21, 2014
soulglo:

So why do you think we should not be a part of what's going on

well first of all if some africans want to, like the OP, why not? don't see a large population doing that though but I don't think it should be forced or made a agenda on non-african american black communities, when Black african themselves are not protesting to african americans to involve themselves by force in their issues.

2 Likes

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by suyu: 4:11am On Aug 21, 2014
Nihilist: I don't see African Americans having solidarity with Africans on the continent during our numerous troubles though...

So why should I care?

1,000,000 Likes

1 Like

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by soulglo: 5:08am On Aug 21, 2014
anonymous6:

well first of all if some africans want to, like the OP, why not? don't see a large population doing that though but I don't think it should be forced or made a agenda on non-african american black communities, when Black african themselves are not protesting to african americans to involve themselves by force in their issues.

Lol. This just blows my mind. You do know that Black Americans died so that you can have the same education that white people in America (the country of your birth) have. Do you know that if it was not for them you probably would have 4 kids at home working menial jobs with a husband possibly in a chain gang jus because you are black. I don't subscribe to this idea that every single thing should be black or white. Honestly it's getting old. I am tired of seeing Al Sharpton's anorexic looking face on TV. But for you to think though that the freedoms you have in America just happened because your parents hoped on a plane many years ago is kind of unsettling for me.

2 Likes

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by anonymous6(f): 5:16am On Aug 21, 2014
soulglo:
Lol. This just blows my mind. You do know that Black Americans died so that you can have the same education that white people in America (the country of your birth) have. Do you know that if it was not for them you probably would have 4 kids at home working menial jobs with a husband possibly in a chain gang jus because you are black. I don't subscribe to this idea that every single thing should be black or white. Honestly it's getting old. I am tired of seeing Al Sharpton's anorexic looking face on TV. But for you to think though that the freedoms you have in America just happened because your parents hoped on a plane many years ago is kind of unsettling for me.

I get it and I know what black Americans have done for all Americans especially african Americans progress during the civil rights movement and they succeeded in getting rights for themselves and as a result today Asians, Africans, Hispanics, caribbeans and african Americans have equal rights today. That's why Oprah, president Obama and many famous african Americans was made possible today. However that has nothing to do with what is going on in ferguson. So to tie the two together and say because of the civil rights movement, everybody should join the ferguson fight is ridiculous. Not Africans but Famous african Americans should be speaking about this, not just sharpton and jackson.

2 Likes

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by soulglo: 6:28am On Aug 21, 2014
anonymous6:

I get it and I know what black Americans have done for all Americans especially african Americans progress during the civil rights movement and they succeeded in getting rights for themselves and as a result today Asians, Africans, Hispanics, caribbeans and african Americans have equal rights today. That's why Oprah, president Obama and many famous african Americans was made possible today. However that has nothing to do with what is going on in ferguson. So to tie the two together and say because of the civil rights movement, everybody should join the ferguson fight is ridiculous. Not Africans but Famous african Americans should be speaking about this, not just sharpton and jackson.

I never said everyone should march in the streets of a Ferguson. I am not. I'm also waiting to hear what the final outcome of the investigation is. You though are talking from both sides. First you say it's not really a racial thing and then you say let famous black Americans handle it. Why? Also Nigerians in America are definitely following the story. Palestinians are following the story. Syrians are following the story and yes Latinas are also speaking out. My friend us organizing a march on Sunday and she is white. Anybody who feels that there was an injustice done is speaking up. I can understand Nigerians in Nigeria not being bothered but Nigerians in America?? I think I understand what you're trying to say. It's your mindset and I respect that. I just think Nigerians who live in the United States need to understand that at the end of the day any injustice that happens as a result of someone simply having dark skin affects us all. Honestly people are getting tired of this use of excessive force by the police. Not just black people. People of all races and creed.

1 Like

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by anonymous6(f): 7:29am On Aug 21, 2014
soulglo:
I never said everyone should march in the streets of a Ferguson. I am not. I'm also waiting to hear what the final outcome of the investigation is. You though are talking from both sides. First you say it's not really a racial thing and then you say let famous black Americans handle it. Why? Also Nigerians in America are definitely following the story. Palestinians are following the story. Syrians are following the story and yes Latinas are also speaking out. My friend us organizing a march on Sunday and she is white. Anybody who feels that there was an injustice done is speaking up. I can understand Nigerians in Nigeria not being bothered but Nigerians in America?? I think I understand what you're trying to say. It's your mindset and I respect that. I just think Nigerians who live in the United States need to understand that at the end of the day any injustice that happens as a result of someone simply having dark skin affects us all. Honestly people are getting tired of this use of excessive force by the police. Not just black people. People of all races and creed.

I feel it's not really racial but it seems some african Americans think so and if it bothers them then they need to involve famous african American to speak for them. Nigerians in America like every community in America is following it but there are differences in opinion. You have points about excessive force by policemen in America and that's why this issue is a mess as I have said. More and more is coming out of the case, so we will see

2 Likes

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by khiaa(f): 12:44pm On Aug 21, 2014
BWOH2D:

Not worth it, many of these people are very ignorant and judgmental and know nothing about the history of America. They have a Eurocentric mindset, not worth it. Deal with people who aren't like this. Unfortunately, they only begin to understand things when they come to America and experience it for themselves. Many of them are beyond ignorant and don't understand White Supremacy. Leave these ppl alone and focus on the ppl who understand. We can't work with brainwashed ppl. They usually find out later.

I cosign this 1000 times, straight and to the point. Some of these people on this forum are bigots and are just as ignorant as some white Americans. sad

1 Like

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by Nobody: 1:47pm On Aug 21, 2014
khiaa:

I cosign this 1000 times, straight and to the point. Some of these people on this forum are bigots and are just as ignorant as some white Americans. sad
The grand jury for Michael Brown's case father was shot and killed by a black man and no white person screamed racism. I don't know why a delinquent behavior of a person who stole cigarette pack from a shop walking on the middle of the road has to be tolerated. However, I disagree with the killing but there were two officers there and they made mistake by shooting him the moment he put his hands up. That is were the cop who killed him made the grave mistake and don't actually mean it is motivated by racism as much. It could be the individual used excessive force as many American police are known to do in some cases. The way Americans behave only the excessive force seems to work. Not obeying the officer is a bad idea. People just take the law into their hand sometimes. We might blame the police but remember they are humans as well.

There is need to re-educate the police on the use of excessive force though. Looking at the history of gang violence, drugs related crimes,etc you wouldn't blame the cops sometimes for going too far. I think the police needs to be thoroughly trained on when not to use excessive force.

Obey the police and you wouldn't be manhandled. I know what I am talking about. They would not kill you if you obey them.

4 Likes

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by khiaa(f): 8:14pm On Aug 21, 2014
all4naija: The grand jury for Michael Brown's case father was shot and killed by a black man and no white person screamed racism. I don't know why a delinquent behavior of a person who stole cigarette pack from a shop walking on the middle of the road has to be tolerated. However, I disagree with the killing but there were two officers there and they made mistake by shooting him the moment he put his hands up. That is were the cop who killed him made the grave mistake and don't actually mean it is motivated by racism as much. It could be the individual used excessive force as many American police are known to do in some cases. The way Americans behave only the excessive force seems to work. Not obeying the officer is a bad idea. People just take the law into their hand sometimes. We might blame the police but remember they are humans as well.

There is need to re-educate the police on the use of excessive force though. Looking at the history of gang violence, drugs related crimes,etc you wouldn't blame the cops sometimes for going too far. I think the police needs to be thoroughly trained on when not to use excessive force.

Obey the police and you wouldn't be manhandled. I know what I am talking about. They would not kill you if you obey them.

STFU you ignorant half-breed, its people like you who don't know what you are talking about that always want to put you 2cents in a conversation you know nothing about, why do you think the police is known as the biggest gang in America, because there are so many criminals that have badges to protect them from their criminal behavior. Ignorant people like you make ignorant comments without doing any research, like obey the police and you wont be manhandled, that is so ridiculous. Was the African brother who was shot 41 times disobeying the law, was the African brother that the police shoved a billyclub up his behind disobeying the law? The answer is no, but I'm sure you'll try to come up with a reason to justify the sick and criminal behavior of these sick and preverted cops. By the way, the African was sexually asaulted with the billyclub because he was not only black, but African.

2 Likes

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by Nobody: 9:49pm On Aug 21, 2014
khiaa:

STFU you ignorsnt half-breed, its people like you who don't know what you are talking about that always want to put you 2cents in a conversation you know nothing about, why do you think the pollce is known as the biggest gang in America, because there are so many criminals that have badges to protect them from their criminal behavior. Ignorant people like you make ignorant comments without doing any research like obey the police and you wont be manhandled, that is so ridiculous. Was the African brother who was shot 41 times disobeying the law, was the African brother that the police shoved a billyclub up his behind disobeying the law? The answer is no, but I'm sure you'll try to come up with a reason to justify the sick and criminal behavior of these sick and preverted cops. By the way, the African was sexually asaulted with the billyclub because he was not only black, but African.
What's this dimwit talking about? I have no single idea of what you mean, you i d i o t! Stop gang violence and other criminal activities in black community, if you don't want to see something of this nature happening again. Is that too hard for you to understand? Why would you join hand with those destroying the black community? Jeez! I think you don't have a brain. Go and get education, you prick!

2 Likes

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by Fulaman198(m): 9:57pm On Aug 21, 2014
It has happened again

St. Louis police kill another black person: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5696546

Police Officers Shoot And Kill another black man…:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwJZaFK0AiM
Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by soulglo: 10:27pm On Aug 21, 2014
Fulaman198: It has happened again

St. Louis police kill another black person: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5696546

Fulaman he was wielding a knife
Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by khiaa(f): 10:54pm On Aug 21, 2014
all4naija: What's this dimwit talking about? I have no single idea of what you mean, you i d i o t! Stop gang violence and other criminal activities in black community, if you don't want to see something of this nature happening again. Is that too hard for you to understand? Why would you join hand with those destroying the black community? Jeez! I think you don't have a brain. Go and get education, you prick!

Walking down the street is not destroying the black community you are so ignorant you think the black community only consists of the HOOD. Fix your Nigerian (the part of you that you hate) community and don't concern yourself with mine because we don't welcome self-haters like you.

2 Likes

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by Nobody: 11:06pm On Aug 21, 2014
khiaa:

Walking down the street is not destroying the black community you are so ignorant you think the black community only consists of the HOOD. Fix your Nigerian (the part of you that you hate) community and don't concern yourself with mine because we don't welcome self-haters like you.

Oh, shut the f**k up, you i d i o t! Walking at the middle of the road is. That's before he ran away from the cop who shot him. Stealing cigarette is another petty thing that can go a long way to tarnish the image of the black people in that community. You are just one ornery f**k. You f**king f**k!

What are you? A douche-bag and blockhead! Calling me a self-hater proves you are one of those criminals messing up black community. You keep fooling the people with your disturbing behavior. I am somebody who is asking for better and organized life for the black people like Martin Lurther King Junior did. There is nothing you have been able to show here that provides any solution to this kind of troubles in AA community than complain all through. You don't have a brain, lady!

2 Likes

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by Fulaman198(m): 11:34pm On Aug 21, 2014
soulglo:

Fulaman he was wielding a knife

Did you see the knife in the video? Unless I'm blind
Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by Howmanage: 11:48pm On Aug 21, 2014
Fulaman198: It has happened again

unbelievable

1 Like

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by soulglo: 11:51pm On Aug 21, 2014
Fulaman198:

Did you see the knife in the video? Unless I'm blind

I did not watch this particular video but I saw some of the coverage on CNN. He actually said to the cops "go ahead and shoot me" and he was advancing with the knife in his hand. I admit that I could not see what he had in his hand but he clearly had something in it. I think he is mentally unstable and that he could have been tazzed instead but you just do not keep advancing when you are given a clear directive by a cop to STOP.
Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by Nobody: 12:21am On Aug 22, 2014
_____
Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by Fulaman198(m): 12:53am On Aug 22, 2014
soulglo:

I did not watch this particular video but I saw some of the coverage on CNN. He actually said to the cops "go ahead and shoot me" and he was advancing with the knife in his hand. I admit that I could not see what he had in his hand but he clearly had something in it. I think he is mentally unstable and that he could have been tazzed instead but you just do not keep advancing when you are given a clear directive by a cop to STOP.

He is definitely mentally unstable! I'm not going to argue that. But as usual we don't know if he had a weapon or not.

1 Like

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by Nobody: 1:10am On Aug 22, 2014
Fulaman198:

He is definitely mentally unstable! I'm not going to argue that. But as usual we don't know if he had a weapon or not.
He's okay! He didn't show any sign of mental trouble. He wanted to be killed. That is what the whole scene presented looking at the way he moved toward the second cop.

I quote the full story from the YouTube below:

"Published on Aug 21, 2014
St. Louis Police Officers Shoot And Kill 25-Year-Old Knife-Wielding Man (Warning *Graphic*)

This 25 year old man was standing outside of a convenience store apparently he took to sodas, and the store clerk called the police and when the police arrived The man took out a knife taunting the police to shoot him, and that's exactly what they did. They opened fire and shot him dead.

Published on Aug 20, 2014
St. Louis police on Tuesday shot and killed a robbery suspect following an altercation at a convenience store. The incident occurred just 10 days after the controversial shooting of unarmed 18-year-old Michael Brown, and was 3.2 miles from Ferguson, where Brown was killed.

The shooting has lead to further unrest in the local community. On Tuesday afternoon, more than two hundred protestors chanted “Hands up, don’t shoot” - the same slogan protesters have shouted at rallies following Brown’s shooting - outside Six Stars Market on 8701 Riverview, where Kajieme Powell, 25, was killed. St. Louis City police chief Sam Dotson then arrived, and gave the press as well as the crowd the police account of the incident.

Dotson said at around noon on Tuesday, Powell took two energy drinks from the store without paying. Minutes later, he went to the store again, this time taking some pastry. The store proprietor followed him as he exited the store, and asked him to pay. Dotson said according to witnesses, including St. Louis alderman Dionne Flowers who works at the beauty parlor next door to the convenience store, Powell then threw the items onto the ground, and said he did not want them anymore.

Powell then reportedly began acting erratically, pacing back and forth in front of the market, talking to himself, and continuously grabbing his waistband. Employees at the market and the beauty parlor realized he had a knife, and called the police at around 12:20 pm.

Two police officers arrived shortly afterward in a cruiser. They asked Powell to calm down, but he became more agitated and began walking towards the officer in the passenger side, pulling out a knife from his waistband. Both officers got out of the car but without drawing weapons. They verbally told Powell to drop the knife, but he advances towards them, yelling, “shoot me, kill me now.”

The officers drew their guns, and shot Powell when he reached 2 to 3 feet in front of them, holding the knife in an “overhand grip”. Powell died at the scene.

The shooting has caused more unrest in the midwest city. In response to questions as to why the officers chose to use a gun over a taser on Powell, Dotson said, “Officers have a reasonable expectation to go home at the end of their shift, adding, “this is a lethal range for a knife."

1 Like

Re: There Is A Race Riot Going On In America Right Now!! by xp17(m): 2:21am On Aug 22, 2014
kajieme Powell shooting was unnecessary. the Ferguson police had other ways they could have isolated the issue, but they chose to kill the man, for holding ordinary knife. I have seen countless cases where some folks holding guns are apprehended without being killed. in worst case scenario, they should have shot Powell on one of his legs or hands.
btw, the Ferguson police are violating the police creed and adapting the army creed. they were to protect the lives and properties of the citizens, and not to engage in a close combat with the enemies. if they are really in taste for blood, let them get their a'ss to Iraq or Afghanistan to fight the Isis, Qaeda, and the Taliban, not harmless civilians.
I just hope this doesn't leads to another America civil war, because those police are going haywire.

question for Obama:

how can you fight human right for citizens of other nations, while you don't protect your own citizens?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (39) (Reply)

Idris Derby Visited By Chadian Legislators At His Temporary Base In The Forest / US "Doomsday" Plane Sent With Biden To Europe (Pics) / Stone Of Destiny To Be Transported For Coronation Of King Charles III (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.