Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,805 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors - Health (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors (36512 Views)

Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola / Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. / Lagos Government Willing To Negotiate With Sacked Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by phantom(m): 4:08pm On Aug 18, 2014
Below is the breakdown of the monthly earnings of a Nigerian senator:NOTE: ALL ARE IN NAIRA
Basic Salary – 2,484 245.50
Hardship Allowance (50% of B.S) – 1 242 122.70
Consistuency allowance (200% of B.S) – 4 968 509.00
Furniture Allowance (300% of B.S) – 7 452 736.50
Newspapers Allowance (50% of B.S) – 1 242 122.70
Wardrobe Allowance (25% of B.S) – 621 061.37
Recess Allowance (10% of B.S) – 248 424.55
Accommodation (200% of B.S) – 4 968 509.00
Utilities (30% of B.S) – 828 081.83
Domestic Staff (75% of B.S) – 1 863 184.12
Entertainment (30% of B.S) – 828 081.83
Personal Assistance (25% of B.S) – 621 061.37
Vehicle Maintainance Allowance (75% of B.S) – 1 863 184.12
Leave Allowance (10% of B.S) – 248 424.55
Severance grautity (300% of B.S) – 7 452 736.50
Motor Vehicle Allowance (400% of B.S) – 9 936 982.00 – Every Four YearsSenators’ salary per month – N 2 456 647.7
Total = N 29 479 749 * 109 Senators
Grand Total = N 3 264 329 264.10
[b]The breakdown above does not include: the quaterly unaccountable constituency allowances (35million for each house of rep. member. 48 million for each sen.), their individual convoy of tinted bulletproofs dozens of brandnew Jeeps, some unnamed backyard moneys, some big and fat handy envelops nor does it include ‘never to be known by the public’ moneys not to talk of embezzlement and bribery etc.From the breakdown one will immediately understand the reason why our politics is christianed ‘DO OR DIE AFFAIR’ for the money seems enough for any insane senator, as it seems we have, to want to end his opponent breath at election. No wonder the senate president has turned his public post into a life affair stuff. No wonder senatorial and representative sits have turned hereditarial in nature for after the said 2 terms the sit should be left for relatives or children. No wonder we kept having boxers and wrestlers in N.A instead of them representing the nation in several weight titles and championships. No wonder ‘serving’ the people is a must .
All a doctor is asking for is #100 000 monthly Hazard not hardship allowance & this appears "TOO MUCH" for Jonathan/Onyebuchi.[/b]

4 Likes

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by soulglo: 4:43pm On Aug 18, 2014
phantom: Below is the breakdown of the monthly earnings of a Nigerian senator:NOTE: ALL ARE IN NAIRA
Basic Salary – 2,484 245.50
Hardship Allowance (50% of B.S) – 1 242 122.70
Consistuency allowance (200% of B.S) – 4 968 509.00
Furniture Allowance (300% of B.S) – 7 452 736.50
Newspapers Allowance (50% of B.S) – 1 242 122.70
Wardrobe Allowance (25% of B.S) – 621 061.37
Recess Allowance (10% of B.S) – 248 424.55
Accommodation (200% of B.S) – 4 968 509.00
Utilities (30% of B.S) – 828 081.83
Domestic Staff (75% of B.S) – 1 863 184.12
Entertainment (30% of B.S) – 828 081.83
Personal Assistance (25% of B.S) – 621 061.37
Vehicle Maintainance Allowance (75% of B.S) – 1 863 184.12
Leave Allowance (10% of B.S) – 248 424.55
Severance grautity (300% of B.S) – 7 452 736.50
Motor Vehicle Allowance (400% of B.S) – 9 936 982.00 – Every Four YearsSenators’ salary per month – N 2 456 647.7
Total = N 29 479 749 * 109 Senators
Grand Total = N 3 264 329 264.10
[b]The breakdown above does not include: the quaterly unaccountable constituency allowances (35million for each house of rep. member. 48 million for each sen.), their individual convoy of tinted bulletproofs dozens of brandnew Jeeps, some unnamed backyard moneys, some big and fat handy envelops nor does it include ‘never to be known by the public’ moneys not to talk of embezzlement and bribery etc.From the breakdown one will immediately understand the reason why our politics is christianed ‘DO OR DIE AFFAIR’ for the money seems enough for any insane senator, as it seems we have, to want to end his opponent breath at election. No wonder the senate president has turned his public post into a life affair stuff. No wonder senatorial and representative sits have turned hereditarial in nature for after the said 2 terms the sit should be left for relatives or children. No wonder we kept having boxers and wrestlers in N.A instead of them representing the nation in several weight titles and championships. No wonder ‘serving’ the people is a must .
All a doctor is asking for is #100 000 monthly Hazard not hardship allowance & this appears "TOO MUCH" for Jonathan/Onyebuchi.[/b]

The list you put there is outrageous but what does any of this have to do with what medical doctors earn
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by nwandouche: 5:04pm On Aug 18, 2014
When two elephants fight the grass suffers.Doctors have private clinics and can leave naija wtout too much ado where they are even better paid with awesome work incentives;the people who stand as FG have d means to leave d country to treat a bout of headache except of course dy hv an emergency case then pity cos there wnt be any docs to treat...However its d masses that bear the brunt so instead of laying blame on FG or blaming docs who only protest for basic entitlements let s all pray for Nigeria.
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by phantom(m): 5:06pm On Aug 18, 2014
soulglo:

The list you put there is outrageous but what does any of this have to do with what medical doctors earn

sorry,I can't draw pictures for you.if you don't get the point,then I can't help you.

6 Likes

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by phantom(m): 5:08pm On Aug 18, 2014
nwandouche: When two elephants fight the grass suffers.Doctors have private clinics and can leave naija wtout too much ado where they are even better paid with awesome work incentives;the people who stand as FG have d means to leave d country to treat a bout of headache except of course dy hv an emergency case then pity cos there wnt be any docs to treat...However its d masses that bear the brunt so instead of laying blame on FG or blaming docs who only protest for basic entitlements let s all pray for Nigeria.

yeah...it all ends in prayer for the average Nigerian. he doesn't want to take any responsibility.

3 Likes

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by nwandouche: 5:52pm On Aug 18, 2014
The job of a critic is always less burdensome...yes pray I say!
Moreso I don't consider myself an 'average' Nigerian.I m well informed on d issue at hand;d 24 point demand n co and it suffices to say that those plus more are in place in many other countries...
However this post isn't about that;things are coming to a head.If one walking on the corridors of power here can call FG and doctors and resolve issues... great but rather than sit down and curse docs or even the FG (which is really counterproductive) praying for an amicable and fair settlement remains my first line of management.

1 Like

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by soulglo: 5:53pm On Aug 18, 2014
phantom:

sorry,I can't draw pictures for you.if you don't get the point,then I can't help you.

I am not asking you to draw pictures. I am asking you why you are using it as a comparison. Any field could use the same argument. Engineers, architects, teachers, nurses etc. You are using a group who are possibly the highest paid in the country to defend why you need a pay raise. Get real
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by soulglo: 5:55pm On Aug 18, 2014
nwandouche: When two elephants fight the grass suffers.Doctors have private clinics and can leave naija wtout too much ado where they are even better paid with awesome work incentives;the people who stand as FG have d means to leave d country to treat a bout of headache except of course dy hv an emergency case then pity cos there wnt be any docs to treat...However its d masses that bear the brunt so instead of laying blame on FG or blaming docs who only protest for basic entitlements let s all pray for Nigeria.

They are not entitled to anything. I think I see a pattern. It is the attitude of entitlement that's fueling this madness
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by soulglo: 5:59pm On Aug 18, 2014
nwandouche: The job of a critic is always less burdensome...yes pray I say!
Moreso I don't consider myself an 'average' Nigerian.I m well informed on d issue at hand;d 24 point demand n co and it suffices to say that those plus more are in place in many other countries...
However this post isn't about that;things are coming to a head and rather than sit down and curse docs or even the FG (which is really counterproductive) praying for an amicable and fair settlement remains my first line of management.

There are only 3 of the demand that actually come close to making sense. In fact if one of those demands is met then most of the other issues will fall in place. It is simply not true that Nigerian doctors just jump up and go to foreign countries and get jobs. That's a big, decorated untruth. There are many Nigerian and Ghanaian doctors here but none of them breezed through the system and they certainly can't pull the crap they pull in Nigeria. The government obviously need to give a little in their stance but the main issue is the system. The pay should not even be the issue.
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by phantom(m): 6:20pm On Aug 18, 2014
nwandouche: The job of a critic is always less burdensome...yes pray I say!
However this post isn't about that;things are coming to a head.If one walking on the corridors of power here can call FG and doctors and resolve issues... great but rather than sit down and curse docs or even the FG (which is really counterproductive) praying for an amicable and fair settlement remains my first line of management.

i agree with you a 100%! all i am saying is that nigerians have put everything in gods hand meanwhile they can protest or hold their leaders accountable.
we are in this mess as a nation because nobody wants to ask the right questions

2 Likes

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by phantom(m): 6:28pm On Aug 18, 2014
soulglo:

I am not asking you to draw pictures. I am asking you why you are using it as a comparison. Any field could use the same argument. Engineers, architects, teachers, nurses etc. You are using a group who are possibly the highest paid in the country to defend why you need a pay raise. Get real

oga i am trying to make you understand that a system that rewards laziness and unproductivity while punishing merit cannot sustain itself.
i am surprised my point was totally missed.

i put up senators allowances so you know we have our priorities mixed up in this country. someone said the other day that we should not compare ourselves to senators and reps. i ask you,is that right? and it is because the common man in nigeria CANNOT TOUCH THE MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT. DOCTORS ON THE OTHER HAND ARE PEOPLE THEY SEE EVERYDAY AND CAN RELATE WITH.THEY THINK DOCTORS DO NOT DESERVE TO BE PAID WELL. since doctors are in the mess like everyone else,they have no righy to ask for better welfare abi?? thats what you are saying in effect and that view is deeply worrying.

our value system is upside down.thats my point.

2 Likes

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by phantom(m): 6:29pm On Aug 18, 2014
soulglo:

They are not entitled to anything. I think I see a pattern. It is the attitude of entitlement that's fueling this madness

what does this mean?? undecided undecided undecided please expantiate
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by DrLuv: 6:39pm On Aug 18, 2014
rhymz: This immature FOOL too is a doctor Lol, no wonder they are on the brink of losing their jobs and talking tough on their little screens. Trust me, I may not be a doctor but I am damn good at what I do, you lots ain't the only smart people you know So come down your high horse and Comment like you have got some damn sense in that head of yours.
lol,immatured fools..nobody says u are not good at what u do..naaa...or is there anybody on board who says or rather has posted that this guy is crap att what he does?nobody is saying that.u dont have to exhibit any of ur self esteem issues here.deal with it.now.,i will still let u know that i actually have a damn sense in this head of mine by making my earliar point(s) clear.ur post clearly displayed how profound ur ignorance is as u do not understand the meaning of "resident doctors".if i do not know something or not sure of something..i ask or find rather than displaying my folly.unfortunately u are still defending ur heresy.actually we nigerians dont learn easily even from history.so i will put it like this.a resident doctor is a fullbregistered doctor,even a corper doctor is fully licenced.only HOUSEOFFICERS/INTERNS have provisional licences.basically in a simple form..the presence of undergraduate medical students and postgraduate resident doctors makes an hospital to be termed teaching tertiary hospital.residents work there and are been päid like any other medical officers.u shoulld get this now except of course there is no sense in that head of urs and still immatured to comprehend what we are discussing.by the way..i am currently employed..and been payed for ma extra day and nite hustling to make packaging pure grin
rhymz: This immature FOOL too is a doctor Lol, no wonder they are on the brink of losing their jobs and talking tough on their little screens. Trust me, I may not be a doctor but I am damn good at what I do, you lots ain't the only smart people you know So come down your high horse and Comment like you have got some damn sense in that head of yours.
lol,immatured fools..nobody says u are not good at what u do..naaa...or is there anybody on board who says or rather has posted that this guy is crap att what he does?nobody is saying that.u dont have to exhibit any of ur self esteem issues here.deal with it.now.,i will still let u know that i actually have a damn sense in this head of mine by making my earliar point(s) clear.ur post clearly displayed how profound ur ignorance is as u do not understand the meaning of "resident doctors".if i do not know something or not sure of something..i ask or find rather than displaying my folly.unfortunately u are still defending ur heresy.actually we nigerians dont learn easily even from history.so i will put it like this.a resident doctor is a fullbregistered doctor,even a corper doctor is fully licenced.only HOUSEOFFICERS/INTERNS have provisional licences.basically in a simple form..the presence of undergraduate medical students and postgraduate resident doctors makes an hospital to be termed teaching tertiary hospital.residents work there and are been päid like any other medical officers.u shoulld get this now except of course there is no sense in that head of urs and still immatured to comprehend what we are discussing.by the way..i am currently employed..and been payed for ma extra day and nite hustling to make packaging pure
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by Nobody: 6:41pm On Aug 18, 2014
After all, who doesn't know that
the best treatment for a headache is to cut off the said head, even if the headache is
only pointing to a more sinister problem? Why should they ask for better equipment to
work with? Why do they need CT and MRI
machines to diagnose when we have our ancient
African technology of seeing a person miles away
in the palms of our hands? Why should they ask for grants for researches?
Shouldnt their jumbo pays be enough to fund
such studies? Why havent they found a cure for
this viral haemorrhagic fever? Why should they
fault you for begging the Americans to give us
ZMapp? What are big brothers for? Is it not to clean up their younger ones every time they pee
in their pants? Why shouldn't you blame them for the ebola
outbreak in the country? Isn't manning the
borders supposed to be part of their work? Why should they say they want to be the only
ones to be tagged a sConsultants? Is it not a mere
sobriquet every Tom, Dick, and Harry can choose
to be called by? Havent people started calling me
Professor as far back as my primary school days? Why do they oppose relativity in the health
sector? Arent men born equal? Do they think you
have forgotten that the quest for relativism
caused the biblical fall of man? Why should they
want to head the medical team because they
claim they are better intellectually equipped? Isnt that egotistical? Why should they tell you to extend universal
health coverage to all citizens? Dont they know
that the citizens are wealthy enough to fund their
medical expenses? Why are they even fighting for
the masses? Do they know how many of the
intended recipients of the policy jumped for joy when you called for the heads of their supposed
activists? Why didnt they take you by your word when you
signed the said agreement with them earlier in
the year? Why do they insist on implementation?
Dont they know ASUU went on strike for a
different reason last year, other than non-
implementation of an agreement signed in 2009? Do they think your pacts are worthless? Why should they tell you not to remind them of
their sacred Hippocratic Oath and not go on
strike? Dont they know you also took an oath
when you came into office? Shouldnt they know
you swore to protect the interest of the ordinary
citizen and that is just what you are doing? Why should they clamour for increased pay? Don't
they know that this country isnt financially
buoyant enough to meet their demands like in
the other countries? Who told them our political
office holders still manage to get the equivalent
of (or more than) what their equals in those other countries earn? The answer to the questions is obviously what
you have done. Fire the resident doctors. But dont
stop at that. Fire the consultants, the medical
officers and the house officers too. Order state
executives to sack those in their employ. You can
even fire all medical students. They could have been brainwashed by their seniors. They have
drained enough from the pockets of their parents.
The government is also wasting scarce funds
because they spend ages in medical school,
saying they dont want to be half-baked. Like we
told them we need bread! Besides their seniors are always telling them they dont know anything. Take a nip in the bud before it is too late. Lets go
back to those times when there were no doctors. Tobi Bamigbade
Medicine 600L, OAU http://www.medicalworldnigeria.com/2014/08/yes-your-excellency-sir-sack-them-all-by-tobi-bamigbade/

2 Likes

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by Nobody: 6:47pm On Aug 18, 2014
Judah1986: After all, who doesn't know that
the best treatment for a headache is to cut off the said head, even if the headache is
only pointing to a more sinister problem? Why should they ask for better equipment to
ZMapp? What are big brothers for? Is it not to clean up their younger ones every time they pee
borders supposed to be part of their work? Why should they say they want to be the only
Professor as far back as my primary school days? Why do they oppose relativity in the health
claim they are better intellectually equipped? Isnt that egotistical? Why should they tell you to extend universal
intended recipients of the policy jumped for joy when you called for the heads of their supposed
implementation of an agreement signed in 2009? Do they think your pacts are worthless? Why should they tell you not to remind them of
citizen and that is just what you are doing? Why should they clamour for increased pay? Don't
of (or more than) what their equals in those other countries earn? The answer to the questions is obviously what
even fire all medical students. They could have been brainwashed by their seniors. They have
told them we need bread! Besides their seniors are always telling them they dont know anything. Take a nip in the bud before it is too late. Lets go
Medicine 600L, OAU http://www.medicalworldnigeria.com/2014/08/yes-your-excellency-sir-sack-them-all-by-tobi-bamigbade/
For those that don't understand, this is medical sarcasm at its best 8-)
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by DrLuv: 7:00pm On Aug 18, 2014
felixchip:

MUMU. So, this was how US came about their zMapp, by going on strike and remaining at Home.

If they don't want to work, there are a good number of people who are able and willing to.

Which Profession pays higher than that of the Doctors? And yet they go on strike when they're needed most.

Go and advance your mindset a little.
Imb....
there goes the usual erroneous believe about doctors pay in nigeria
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by phantom(m): 7:04pm On Aug 18, 2014

classic!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by nwandouche: 7:04pm On Aug 18, 2014
soulglo:

Truth is doctors are actually getting a whole less than they are entitled to even when compared to some other 3rd world countries#investigate on that#cos I have
Moreso beyond pay many other issues are the bone of contention for this strike #pleasereadthe24pointagenda#.
A typical scenerio albeit some may consider it no biggie but its unfair;docs and probably other health workers in close contact with patients have to pay a couples of thousands to get d doses of vaccines for hepatitis B,a very infectious virus that they re exposed to at work as they carry out their 'humanitarian services'.Is it fair?...Isn't their wellbeing a priority too...
On Ebola most recent news is that the WHO and Nigerian volunteer docs r threatening to leave.The foreign docs complain of poor treatment and ill maintained isolation facilities for d infected facilitating spread and impeding recovery. They also complain of poor protection offered to them by the nation as they are not immune to ebola,lol.It beats me cos we were told of a certain 1.9 billion for this cause.
My point...the matter at hand isn't about Naija docs or even ranting and raving at d present government,probably they want to maintain status quo which of course is comfy for them,lol...Change is hard.
The decay in Nigeria particularly in allocating funds to healthcare(which gets a very negligible percentage)has gone on from government to government and won't be solved by blaming docs without facts but by unrelentlessly trying to influence change(the doctors are doing so the best way they deem fit)...moreso let the change begin with you.
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by DrLuv: 7:15pm On Aug 18, 2014
daveemuobo:

you've never been to a teaching hospital, so please don't display your ignorance please.
if you are referrring to that guy "rhyming out" heretic rhymz...better leave him..he posted his ignorance on the wall.. yet he keeps up with it despite correction

1 Like

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by mikolo80: 7:41pm On Aug 18, 2014
ObiOkpor: not defending anybody dude...and Nigeria will never crash...
i hope you're right. But we never believed we'd see suicide bombers,militants challenging so called "federal might" or kidnapping. There's a first time for everything and crash is where we're headed if a miracle doesn't happen soon. If jona do like he's doin for next 4yrs nigeria will surely crash. Simply can't take anymore of incompetence(cumulative o not just his own o).not his fault but chairs don't really give a Bleep who doesn't get a seat when music stops and the buck stops at his table for now
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by neyur: 9:15pm On Aug 18, 2014
suwailad: [size=18pt]GUYS VOTE GEJ OUT 2015! THIS MAN IS DESTROYING THE NATION! [/size]

animal....
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by rhymz(m): 9:33pm On Aug 18, 2014
DrLuv:
if you are referrring to that guy "rhyming out" heretic rhymz...better leave him..he posted his ignorance on the wall.. yet he keeps up with it despite correction

LOL... Obviously this riff-raff can not be a Doctor, not with this utter rubbish you keep plaguing the thread with. Kid before you argue with your betters perhaps you should learn first to write with some degree of coherence, I can hardly make any sense out of the gibberish you post like a retard.

I will keep posting my views and hope you seethe and swallow your tongue in rage, Nigerian doctors, especially the ones in the government employ are fucking hypocrites on ego ride at our own collective expensive.
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by soulglo: 9:36pm On Aug 18, 2014
nwandouche:

Truth is doctors are actually getting a whole less than they are entitled to even when compared to some other 3rd world countries#investigate on that#cos I have
Moreso beyond pay many other issues are the bone of contention for this strike #pleasereadthe24pointagenda#.
A typical scenerio albeit some may consider it no biggie but its unfair;docs and probably other health workers in close contact with patients have to pay a couples of thousands to get d doses of vaccines for hepatitis B,a very infectious virus that they re exposed to at work as they carry out their 'humanitarian services'.Is it fair?...Isn't their wellbeing a priority too...
On Ebola most recent news is that the WHO and Nigerian volunteer docs r threatening to leave.The foreign docs complain of poor treatment and ill maintained isolation facilities for d infected facilitating spread and impeding recovery. They also complain of poor protection offered to them by the nation as they are not immune to ebola,lol.It beats me cos we were told of a certain 1.9 billion for this cause.
My point...the matter at hand isn't about Naija docs or even ranting and raving at d present government,probably they want to maintain status quo which of course is comfy for them,lol...Change is hard.
The decay in Nigeria particularly in allocating funds to healthcare(which gets a very negligible percentage)has gone on from government to government and won't be solved by blaming docs without facts but by unrelentlessly trying to influence change(the doctors are doing so the best way they deem fit)...moreso let the change begin with you.

Name the countries in Africa that earn more. Please do not mention South Africa.

Here's my main issue. You cannot keep throwing money into a system that's clearly broken. The government should not write out checks for Doctor's payroll. Hospitals should learn to be profitable. Funding can come from other sources. There are many rural areas in Nigeria where doctors have never set foot and yet we have more Doctors than most African countries. All the money being put into the sector are currently going into a few choice pockets. The system needs to be fixed and that will not come from throwing money at doctors. NMA needs and overhaul. Maybe when that's done and the attitude changes it will trickle down to the foot soldiers. I'd rather mist of the money go towards a healthcare scheme. The patients gave a card and can pick and choose doctors. The doctors get paid through the plan for their services and patients get the option to pick who should provide their care. Money will not make our doctors better doctors. The mindset of servitude is what will.
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by nwandouche: 9:39pm On Aug 18, 2014

Quite a write up...The Idi Amin sack approach was sure a bad move.

1 Like

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by nwandouche: 9:52pm On Aug 18, 2014
soulglo:

Name the countries in Africa that earn more. Please do not mention South Africa.

Here's my main issue. You cannot keep throwing money into a system that's clearly broken. The government should not write out checks for Doctor's payroll. Hospitals should learn to be profitable. Funding can come from other sources. There are many rural areas in Nigeria where doctors have never set foot and yet we have more Doctors than most African countries. All the money being put into the sector are currently going into a few choice pockets. The system needs to be fixed and that will not come from throwing money at doctors. NMA needs and overhaul. Maybe when that's done and the attitude changes it will trickle down to the foot soldiers. I'd rather mist of the money go towards a healthcare scheme. The patients gave a card and can pick and choose doctors. The doctors get paid through the plan for their services and patients get the option to pick who should provide their care. Money will not make our doctors better doctors. The mindset of servitude is what will.

I ll leave you to go on with that project.Take the pains to go through and check both the pay and work incentives of doctors in Africa,SA included...
You are of course entitled to your opinions but truth remains that in addition to the corruption in Naija where monkey dey work baboon dy chop more money is needed in d health sector which I tink gets about 2 percent now...
Lastly so I don't go into another long writeup;medicine isn't servitude,a term synonymous to slavery.Doctors are real people with real responsiblities,dy face real risks and work real unbelievably long hours and as much as they are humanitarians they dnt run a charity organisation.They deserve good remuneration and good working conditions

3 Likes

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by infolekan(m): 10:01pm On Aug 18, 2014
soulglo:

Lovely write up.....tell me the sector that is profitable in Nigeria. Universities? NNPC?(you don't even want to know how much is lost through that channel alone). Hospitals?
Customs?..they rake in half of what they should bring in and embezzle the rest.
NMA needs no overhaul.....the health system does.
Sacking the Resident Doctors speaks volume about how serious the Govt is. It's a futile action that will DEFINITELY be reversed but a guaranteed time waster.
The common man while they're to be pitied does not even know his left foot from the right and blames the person closest to them..the Doctors...

1 Like

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by infolekan(m): 10:06pm On Aug 18, 2014
nwandouche:

I ll leave you to go on with that project.Take the pains to go through and check both the pay and work incentives of doctors in Africa,SA included...
You are of course entitled to your opinions but truth remains that in addition to the corruption in Naija where monkey dey work baboon dy chop more money is needed in d health sector which I tink gets about 2 percent now...
Lastly so I don't go into another long writeup;medicine isn't servitude.Doctors are real people with real responsiblities,dy face real risks and work real unbelievably long hours and as much as they are humanitarians they dnt run a charity organisation.They deserve good remuneration and good working conditions

Leave him to his delusions....is a Doctor a Priest to you....and to think the Pastors even ride jets these days.
He took an oath to care for the patient but not at the expense of his own life.
Half of these so called 'knowledgeable' commentators took the easier path studying less difficult courses and 15 years down the line....have now labeled every doctor a quack and called him proud and start throwing tantrums when they fight for their rights.

2 Likes

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by erico2k2(m): 10:20pm On Aug 18, 2014
Guidette:
Yeah. And where did i say private hospitals aren't better? But does that mean that govt hospitals are not good enough for people to go to?
The crux of the matter is that whether govt or private abroad, they still meet the minimum standard of care as stated by WHO in the UK and us. Now back to Nigeria, our govt and private hospitals are nothing to write home about. And that is the issue. You don't even live in Nigeria and you are talking. I'm talking from experience. I have seen both sides and I can tell you that the reason our healthcare system is like this is because of the govt. who is going to provide budgets for the hospitals and maintain standard of care. It is the govt. Or do you expect doctors to take care of their patients, then use the salary they have o buy equipment to make sure their patients ge the best care? Culpability should be given when due. if you think that all those private hospitals you see in the UK are that way because of only funding, you are on a long thing. They are also regulated by the UK bodies to make sure the provide adequate healthcare. On the other hand in Nigeria, private hospitals range from below substandard to passable. No regulation bodies are in place, that's why a failed medical student can open a surgery behind his house and admit patients while security authorities are oblivious to the situation.
In the end, like every other sector in Nigeria, the health care system is in shambles as a result of neglect and corruption. I mean....... Surgeons operate using rechargeable lamps in Nigeria. If this does not attest to what I have been saying since, then I don't know what will.
Advice to you, dont assume, stick to fact and something you know, hence my responce are always short cos these are facts,Im not speculating, GPs are self employed here in the Uk go and ask properly more so I live in both countries Nigeria/UK as a matter of fact, I o nly work in the Uk I live in Nigeria and comparing Uk NHS and teh Nigerian health system so so unfair as the UK health system is more than 200 years Old
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by Nobody: 10:31pm On Aug 18, 2014
N100,000 (MONTHLY Hazard allawee for sacked
Doctors) multiplied by 16,000 is equal to N160
million only MONTHLY and N1.920 billion only
per annum for Resident Doctors hazard
allowance. Chicken change! Mscheeeeew! ONE DAY LOOT FREE IS ENOUGH TO
RAISE THIS OSSUSSU AND THE DOCTORS STRIKE
SHALL BE OVER!
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by rhymz(m): 10:50pm On Aug 18, 2014
Judah1986: For those that don't understand, this is medical sarcasm at its best 8-)
oh, go ahead and explain to us all..... You seem to be the only one that understand the sarcasm.... Lol
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by Dammyllionaire(m): 11:19pm On Aug 18, 2014
yinkard4me: They shd be sacked. Wen dem no sack dem, wetin dem dey do?Abeegi... This Is d time d country needs dem most. Wah happened to d Oath they took for a critical time like dis? What if our millitary embarked on strike during dis Boko haram security issue? Would dia be any doctor alive to go on a stupid strike? Shioooor

I love this comment...
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by soulglo: 11:38pm On Aug 18, 2014
nwandouche:

Lastly so I don't go into another long writeup;medicine isn't servitude,a term synonymous to slavery.Doctors are real people with real responsiblities,dy face real risks and work real unbelievably long hours and as much as they are humanitarians they dnt run a charity organisation.They deserve good remuneration and good working conditions

Both my parents were civil servants. They served their country with pride. That was in the 80s. In today's Nigeria it is considered slavery smh.

I know what doctors make in South Africa. You said you knew and so I asked

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Carpenter electrocuted while working in Delta State (Disturbing Photos) / Mother And Son Test Positive For COVID-19 In Osun / 452 New COVID-19 Cases, 229 Discharged And 8 Deaths On June 23 - (2538 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.