Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,671 members, 7,955,452 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:14 AM

Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors - Health (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors (36745 Views)

Why Sacked Doctors May Not Be Recalled - Fashola / Lagos Issues Quit Notice To Sacked Doctors. / Lagos Government Willing To Negotiate With Sacked Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by ObiOkpor(m): 7:52pm On Aug 17, 2014
jovichi:

thank God u are not
may ebola virus destroy u
May God answer your prayers just as you fully requested...Amencheesy
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by rhymz(m): 8:00pm On Aug 17, 2014
Kcinho:
I believe this guy still does the hot salt water bath because he is so ignorant and has refused to learn. Your ignorance is amazing.
Guy go to hell! Do I look like I care to sound cliche so you can like my comments?? You can choose to burst a vein in your rage that is your own cup of tea. I will continue to argue that those residents deserve what they got and obviously needed to be curtailed. It is very simple, if you are no time satisfied with conditions of service, leave the hospital and join your colleagues in private hospitals or go and try your luck abroad like many of your mates have done. What we won't allow is For you and the other doctor wanna-bes to cripple down the sector because to you it to is not about service but being treated like a politician or an oil and gas worker..... 4ck you again....

1 Like

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by Mbediogu(m): 8:03pm On Aug 17, 2014
Chai. When they say, we dont say because there is 2015 o o o!
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by Nobody: 8:06pm On Aug 17, 2014
DrLuv:
LOL.u actually should have read ur post again sha.u wrote it down like some1 who has never been in a mathematics/basic statistics class at the secondary level.just saying
I know what doctor patient ratio is, I am just answerin sarcastically, and BTW maths was never a problem for me in school
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by Kcinho(m): 8:19pm On Aug 17, 2014
rhymz: Guy go to hell! Do I look like I care to sound cliche so you can like my comments?? You can choose to burst a vein in your rage that is your own cup of tea. I will continue to argue that those residents deserve what they got and obviously needed to be curtailed. It is very simple, if you are no time satisfied with conditions of service, leave the hospital and join your colleagues in private hospitals or go and try your luck abroad like many of your mates have done. What we won't allow is For you and the other doctor wanna-bes to cripple down the sector because to you it to is not about service but being treated like a politician or an oil and gas worker..... 4ck you again....
On top of the ignorance you lack adequate home training.

6 Likes

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by Nobody: 8:40pm On Aug 17, 2014
Am sure they will be recalled, this is just a threat. But seriously doctors and Jona no try at all. If two elephants(Drs and Jona) fight na grass(masses) dey suffer am.

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by Nobody: 8:46pm On Aug 17, 2014
erico2k2:
Ok good, now that U schooled in teh UK and US, tell me the difference between the UK health service and US health service?Just so you know, the NHS is not truely free, nothing is free i n the UK, we pay what we call NI, National Insurance mine on average every month is £180 weather I go to the GP or not, so tell me how is it free? and also, if you go to your GP cos you are Ill and given a subscription, you go to the Chemist and buy the drugs plus you get to pay for the subscription,is this not correct?

LoL. What of the tax every time I check my payslip and see how much tax I pay, I become heartbroken grin. I don't even bother to check the NI contribution.

hmmm...subscription na another funny thing, in fact...those NHS doctors can write so many subscription on that their tiny paper..by the time you finish multiplying through...another heartbreak.

You are right, NHS is only free in theory. Same as the medical care here in Canada.

Let's not even talk about the private practice, I don't blame them sha.if I had over $100k in students debt after grad, It would cost an arm and leg for consultation.

2 Likes

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by lakamua: 8:54pm On Aug 17, 2014
ObiOkpor: You're a hopeless being....
see ur life. jealousy only makes u miserable.
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by ObiOkpor(m): 9:04pm On Aug 17, 2014
lakamua:
see ur life. jealousy only makes u miserable.
Ignored......
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by phantom(m): 9:06pm On Aug 17, 2014
lrguru: I know what doctor patient ratio is, I am just answerin sarcastically, and BTW maths was never a problem for me in school

**chokes on his lump of meat,laughing grin grin**
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by phantom(m): 9:07pm On Aug 17, 2014
Kcinho:

grin grin grin grin
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by Guidette(f): 9:12pm On Aug 17, 2014
erico2k2:
Ok good, now that U schooled in teh UK and US, tell me the difference between the UK health service and US health service?Just so you know, the NHS is not truely free, nothing is free i n the UK, we pay what we call NI, National Insurance mine on average every month is £180 weather I go to the GP or not, so tell me how is it free? and also, if you go to your GP cos you are Ill and given a subscription, you go to the Chemist and buy the drugs plus you get to pay for the subscription,is this not correct?

Ok I agree that it is not free for UK citizens but it was free for me when I used it. But..... Nigerians d pay tax as well. What is being done with the money? Infact scratch out the tax thing. What is being done with the billions accrued every year from oil. Nothing. The UK does not even have a tenth of the resources we have but the difference is clear.
The US health care is more of a money driven system, which is not really ideal for people who cannot afford it, but it is still top notch. Most of the advances in medicine comes from the US as of now. The UK is more of a social welfare healthcare system. Both are not perfect and have their shortcomings, but the issue should not necessarily be about their disparities but what unites them. Which is a high standard of care.
We do not have that in govt or private owned hospitals in Nigeria which was the main concern of my first post reply. Don't support the govt's decision on this because they have fallen very short on the ball. If we had a good healthcare system in the first place where the doctors work under good conditions, have proper equipment, and are adequately compensated, there will not have been a need for this strike in the first place.

1 Like

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by rhymz(m): 9:18pm On Aug 17, 2014
Kcinho:
Home training to talk down on a low lifer like you..... I am probably older than you and have more life experiences than you..... So don't pretend like you are talking to your equal, you are probably some stray idiot with Internet connection trying to feel like you are smart. Henceforth I will ignore you simpleton.
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by Nobody: 9:40pm On Aug 17, 2014
Guidette:

Ok I agree that it is not free for UK citizens but it was free for me when I used it. But..... Nigerians d pay tax as well. What is being done with the money? Infact scratch out the tax thing. What is being done with the billions accrued every year from oil. Nothing. The UK does not even have a tenth of the resources we have but the difference is clear.
The US health care is more of a money driven system, which is not really ideal for people who cannot afford it, but it is still top notch. Most of the advances in medicine comes from the US as of now. The UK is more of a social welfare healthcare system. Both are not perfect and have their shortcomings, but the issue should not necessarily be about their disparities but what unites them. Which is a high standard of care.
We do not have that in govt or private owned hospitals in Nigeria which was the main concern of my first post reply. Don't support the govt's decision on this because they have fallen very short on the ball. If we had a good healthcare system in the first place where the doctors work under good conditions, have proper equipment, and are adequately compensated, there will not have been a need for this strike in the first place.
Tax is almost nonexistence in Nigeria. The ones that even pay is inconsequential. It's good we start asking for what was done with our collective oil wealth. Everyone wants a top class health care system but we can't still ignore the fact that there were some demands made by the striking doctors which doesn't really make much sense, hence why a lot of Nigerians are commending GEJ for his action(including his enemies). Then again, a partial strike by the doctors would have been the best action like it's done in advanced countries like Britain and not advanced like Egypt not long ago. My opinion sha.
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by Kcinho(m): 9:54pm On Aug 17, 2014
rhymz: Home training to talk down on a low lifer like you..... I am probably older than you and have more life experiences than you..... So don't pretend like you are talking to your equal, you are probably some stray idiot with Internet connection trying to feel like you are smart. Henceforth I will ignore you simpleton.
Now he is angry. If public display of your amazing ignorance is more life experience then I totally agree with you that you have more experience. The interesting aspect is that you have refused to learn something new today. Any teacher that can succeed in getting you to learn something new deserves more than #100000 hazard allowance because that's what your ignorance is.... a Hazard.

4 Likes

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by erico2k2(m): 10:02pm On Aug 17, 2014
Guidette:

You still did not get the whole gist, I have lived in the Uk for up to 18 years so I know what Im talking about, for you to get the bes in teh UK you need to go private, also we all have GPs, and we pay to see them indirectly if you read the post by sexywale up there, and you said it was free for you? how? cos subscription is only free for people on benefit.Let me ask you as a Doctor who would you like to work for, Govt or Private?.I also think it would be ideal for us to have same GP system where we go to our doctors whom will be private, let them charge us for consultancy and we go buy the medicines from the chemist now that's a challenge for the Docs in Nigeria and I know they wont like it.I believe since we seem to have many sick people in Nigeria so the Doctors would not be short of work.I recon this is a time of rethink, we should stop blaming the Govt 4 everything.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by obayaya(m): 10:04pm On Aug 17, 2014
Guidette no offense but you don't sound like you know what you're talking about.. You haven't been able to tackle any of the points erico2k2 raised.

1 Like

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by erico2k2(m): 10:09pm On Aug 17, 2014
saxywale:
Tax is almost nonexistence in Nigeria. The ones that even pay is inconsequential. It's good we start asking for what was done with our collective oil wealth. Everyone wants a top class health care system but we can't still ignore the fact that there were some demands made by the striking doctors which doesn't really make much sense, hence why a lot of Nigerians are commending GEJ for his action(including his enemies). Then again, a partial strike by the doctors would have been the best action like it's done in advanced countries like Britain and not advanced like Egypt not long ago. My opinion sha.
Brov you know in the west when people strike its usually for certain problems with working conditions, ie pension or hours etc 9 out of ten wont be for pay,more so when these strikes go on they don't get paid, it would be very cool to see that go down here.

1 Like

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by Guidette(f): 11:05pm On Aug 17, 2014
erico2k2:
You still did not get the whole gist, I have lived in the Uk for up to 18 years so I know what Im talking about, for you to get the bes in teh UK you need to go private, also we all have GPs, and we pay to see them indirectly if you read the post by sexywale up there, and you said it was free for you? how? cos subscription is only free for people on benefit.Let me ask you as a Doctor who would you like to work for, Govt or Private?.I also think it would be ideal for us to have same GP system where we go to our doctors whom will be private, let them charge us for consultancy and we go buy the medicines from the chemist now that's a challenge for the Docs in Nigeria and I know they wont like it.I believe since we seem to have many sick people in Nigeria so the Doctors would not be short of work.I recon this is a time of rethink, we should stop blaming the Govt 4 everything.
Yeah. And where did i say private hospitals aren't better? But does that mean that govt hospitals are not good enough for people to go to?
The crux of the matter is that whether govt or private abroad, they still meet the minimum standard of care as stated by WHO in the UK and us. Now back to Nigeria, our govt and private hospitals are nothing to write home about. And that is the issue. You don't even live in Nigeria and you are talking. I'm talking from experience. I have seen both sides and I can tell you that the reason our healthcare system is like this is because of the govt. who is going to provide budgets for the hospitals and maintain standard of care. It is the govt. Or do you expect doctors to take care of their patients, then use the salary they have o buy equipment to make sure their patients ge the best care? Culpability should be given when due. if you think that all those private hospitals you see in the UK are that way because of only funding, you are on a long thing. They are also regulated by the UK bodies to make sure the provide adequate healthcare. On the other hand in Nigeria, private hospitals range from below substandard to passable. No regulation bodies are in place, that's why a failed medical student can open a surgery behind his house and admit patients while security authorities are oblivious to the situation.
In the end, like every other sector in Nigeria, the health care system is in shambles as a result of neglect and corruption. I mean....... Surgeons operate using rechargeable lamps in Nigeria. If this does not attest to what I have been saying since, then I don't know what will.
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by Guidette(f): 11:07pm On Aug 17, 2014
obayaya: Guidette no offense but you don't sound like you know what you're talking about.. You haven't been able to tackle any of the points erico2k2 raised.
Abeg free me. If you don't understand, go back and read my points again till you understand.
It is as simple as that. tongue
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by obayaya(m): 11:42pm On Aug 17, 2014
Guidette:
Abeg free me. If you don't understand, go back and read my points again till you understand.
It is as simple as that. tongue

I understand one thing from your posts... You have issues with everything Nigerian. We all do.. We all wish the country is a lot better.

But my problem with your posts is that your criticisms are always unfair and tend to be destructive most times. embarassed
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by xanchu: 12:00am On Aug 18, 2014
Ahan!!! This is cool!
Some wish they were doctors themselves to take the jobs, others wish doctors would die in hell, some say what about the hippo oath, and many more...
Its all good. Sacking +16,000 doctors is good. But does that solve the problem in the health sector No!!!!!!!!
The strike isn't all about money, although 5K for hazard allowance for a doctor is witchcraft and our doctors deserve better.
Let's all get a little more enlightened about issues before we comment on them.
Nigeria has the highest number of foreign doctors in america, the 2nd highest in Britain and so on...
More than half of our own trained doctors work in other countries and the few left are treated like dogs and house boys, yet we run our mouth like bats, saying rubbish.
Patience Jona went for 'appendectomy' outside the country, the easiest surgery to be performed by a doctor. Shows you GEJ doesn't give a hell about your own health. He'll travel out for check-ups and leave all Nigeria behind to fend for themselves.
Let's not think from our pudendal nerves, we don't eat from our anus. What is bad is bad!!! Senators can't get 128,000K for inconvenience allowance per month and a doctor would get 5k hazard allowance! That's madness!!!
And all nigerians see is wicked n greedy doctors, when doctors die from hospital acquired illnesses, will you cater for their family
Doctors are always and will always be welcomed in other countries, its not a big deal! They'll all leave the country for GEJ and 170Million nigerians to enjoy the wealth.
Let's see who suffers!
When U are sick, don't go n see a doctor! Stay @ home and die, because doctors are greedy. As if doctors won't eat and pay house rents too.
Yark!!!!!
Foolish people!

6 Likes

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by Guidette(f): 12:24am On Aug 18, 2014
obayaya:

I understand one thing from your posts... You have issues with everything Nigerian. We all do.. We all wish the country is a lot better.

But my problem with your posts is that your criticisms are always unfair and tend to be destructive most times. embarassed

Nah. I'm not really anti Nigerian. I'm a realist. As a Nigerian, I have found out that we like to pretend like everything is fine and sweep all the negative aspects of life under the carpet. I am speaking my mind and I not mincing words for anyone.

This topic is really dear to me. I lost my grand mum because they did not have an o2 tank when she collapsed in a govt hospital. Everyone's first instinct will be to blame the doctors, but what will they do when they have no supplies? Our govt has really failed us. Idk where you live, but if it is in Nigeria, just take a drive down to lesser neighborhoods. Open your eyes and you will see people are suffering. Sigh.

6 Likes

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by Nobody: 2:23am On Aug 18, 2014
ObiOkpor: vote him out and vote who in my darling? Your elder brother? No!
Goodluck go finish his second tenure,if u no like am,na u sabi!
no argument intended i just want you to convince me on a difference he as made for in the country nd is the goodluck wrking for him or for we all too, thnkx
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by Nobody: 2:31am On Aug 18, 2014
calebo101:

And vote who in? The man that presided over your father? Jonathan is the best option for now cos all the other candidates are tested and trusted crooks. He is doing his best despite the challenges he is facing. Change is a gradual process, we would get there.

50+ and we are still franchising a govt dt needs change while on duty, i tot he was deem fit b4 proposing office, we av better options if only d dirty political game wont dust them out, we keep singing we will get there when everyday we av leaders taking a step backward, no 4get say una senior south korea but we still singing we will get there.
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by rhymz(m): 6:15am On Aug 18, 2014
Too many kids here are just confusing issues and like is usual with the "Nigerian Doctor I am the smartest one on planet earth" any opposing views are seen as personal attacks against them individually. Everyone is unintelligent, only the Nigerian Doctors are smart and can only understand the issues... too many square pegs in round holes. People holding medical degrees so they can brag to their friends and perceived foes about their brilliance... lol

Abeg you guyz should calm down and understand that government can not pay you like politicians no matter what your arguments are....and the government as the employer can sack all of the residents if they choose to deliberately frustrate efforts to solve their own issues.

Again, in a negotiation there has to be compromise, no one person can get it all. Negotiation is a process and not an instant happen stance. It takes more skills to be a real Doctor and that is compassion and service. whoever is interested in getting a fat ass oil and gas salary should leave the government hospitals and chase the paper.simple.

2 Likes

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by MosquitoREBIRTH(m): 8:46am On Aug 18, 2014
they parties involved should just sit and sort this issue out.. people's lives are at stake..
lekanolas: Moves by the Nigerian Medical Association ( NMA ) and the National Association of Resident Doctors ( NARD ) to pressurize the federal government to withdraw the circular suspending residency training programme have fell on deaf ears as officials at the Federal Ministry of Health were adamant on reversing the suspension.

The suspension of the residency training programme indirectly means the sack of about 16 000 medical doctors, leaving behind 3000 medical consultants and higher ranking medical personnel to cater for medical services around the country.

The government also lampooned the medical doctors for embarking on protest and demonstration in Abuja, calling their actions as hypocritical.

Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Health, Linus Awute, stated this Saturday in an interview with journalists in Abuja.

Awute observed that though the doctors claimed to be on strike, some were working on the field.

He blamed the doctors for the decision by the federal government to suspend residency training for the medical practitioners, including the directive to the managements of public hospitals to find replacement for them.

http://www.newsday.com.ng/government-vows-recall-sacked-doctors/
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by MosquitoREBIRTH(m): 8:48am On Aug 18, 2014
But in another sense, the striking issues in this country is becoming too much. These doctors should call off this strike and have the human life at heart. Nice one again by the Government..
lekanolas: Moves by the Nigerian Medical Association ( NMA ) and the National Association of Resident Doctors ( NARD ) to pressurize the federal government to withdraw the circular suspending residency training programme have fell on deaf ears as officials at the Federal Ministry of Health were adamant on reversing the suspension.

The suspension of the residency training programme indirectly means the sack of about 16 000 medical doctors, leaving behind 3000 medical consultants and higher ranking medical personnel to cater for medical services around the country.

The government also lampooned the medical doctors for embarking on protest and demonstration in Abuja, calling their actions as hypocritical.

Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Health, Linus Awute, stated this Saturday in an interview with journalists in Abuja.

Awute observed that though the doctors claimed to be on strike, some were working on the field.

He blamed the doctors for the decision by the federal government to suspend residency training for the medical practitioners, including the directive to the managements of public hospitals to find replacement for them.

http://www.newsday.com.ng/government-vows-recall-sacked-doctors/
Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by obi123: 9:58am On Aug 18, 2014
maybe this is the wake up call doctors need to get out of their comfort zone and seek the hustle elsewhere,all i know is that sacking 16,000 doctors will have its consequence.

why weren't they sacked ages ago when they started the strike? so because the Ebola virus don tie wrapper the govt is trying to fire fight and sacking 16,000 doctors is the only solution a whole govt of the fed republic of Nigeria can come up with ? sack the doctors to replace them with what na?

you owe them salaries for months and you expect them to survive on what ? air?

sacking 16,000 doctors will never solve the problem with the health sector, common quarantine station you dont have, you build a pig sty and call it a quarantine station and you somehow expect doctors to rush in there as voltron to save the day? you expect them to perform miracles, how na?

I think that for anyone to go through the stress of studying to be a doctor , they have the zeal and passion for it, but that passion can easily be quenched by the situation in Nigeria.

When you have been a recipient of good health care provision you would see that for anyone to go into a Nigerian hospital and come out alive is nothing short of a miracle, the Nigerian health sector is in a state , no matter how much the govt wants to make it the fault of some group of people other than themselves, it is in a sorry state and maybe this Ebola virus is what is needed to further reveal just how shambolic a state it is in.

2 Likes

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by Nobody: 11:18am On Aug 18, 2014
Misplaced priorities. Just think about these: #255million($1.6million) to purchase only TWO bullet proof cars. Missing 50 billion DOLLARS
(eventually scaled down to 20 billion then later to
10 billion dollars), and 10 billion naira to maintain
private jets. But government would rather sack doctors instead
of releasing 13 billion naira to pay them.

1 Like

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by benghaziii: 11:29am On Aug 18, 2014
u can beef doctors for all i care..i know docs can cover 3hospitals in a day n make double of what government payz..these so called docs can never stay unemployed instead they become choosy... and is d masses abusing docs dat will go to the same faces n pay double.
caesarian section is 30k in government hospital bt 140k in private hospital... and same goes fr all oda surgeries.. n drugs inclusive..
keep praising GEJ...u will know better as time flies
johesuites will push u guyz to ur destruction..
IGNORANCE OF THE MASSES IS THE KEY THAT FG PREDATES ON... Am nt surprised is still working for them
IF ANY ANIMAL COMES UNDER ANY PARTY FOR PRESIDENCY..U BETA VOTE......D ONLY CONSTANT THING IS CHANGE..
USMLE ON MY MIND...GETTING THE HELL OUTTA D COUNTRY FOR GOOD

4 Likes

Re: Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors by dalhat14(m): 2:55pm On Aug 18, 2014
meanwhile, situation report from across the nation tells of
all cadre of doctors from house officers to medical officers
to consultants defying Onyebuchi and Jonathans order to
return to work, Shame on them!!! Even a stronger NMA
they are creating

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Lifeless Body On The Road Around LUTH (photo) / Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder / Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.