Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,694 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 - Travel (317) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (867973 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) ... (502) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jan 27, 2015
Walspring:

Lets give the thanks to God..
Let's give the thanks to God and Walspring Omiye cheesy cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jan 27, 2015
I gerrit...na your duty and I hope the task is smoother for you. Always good to have you here.
imperiouxx:

My brother, two heads demand more time than one.

Hope you're getting me. cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by imperiouxx(m): 4:10pm On Jan 27, 2015
exxy:
House i need advice ooo, my uncle in the state called me yesterday and told me to leave school(fall out of status) so that i can go work in newyork. before now, this same uncle didn't support my coming to the state, financially and otherwise. but now he wants me to leave school to a state where his not even in. He was saying who is going to pay my tuition, who will do this, who will do that, i said sir, i have gotting 2 jobs on campus, my department has schorship, and more over i have paid half of my tuition(1500) my tuition is about $3k, i dont stay on campus, and my feeding is garanted, accomdation is ok, feeding is ok, but my uncle said i should forget that one, and see to what his telling me. House i need ur advice oo, my uncle wan kill me.

Zeezahbee, imperiouxx, bigfrancis21, walspring, MsNas and others make una look into the matter oo

Though this is coming late, my advise is NEVER answer the uncle's call anymore. Either he has tangible thing to say or not.

You see how crazy it is here in NY the last time you were here. I'm married, working and studying here, I know how ridiculous, over hyped and extremely competitive this NY is. In short, we're considering moving to neighboring states after we settled our case.

Moreover, $1500 is nothing that will cause you to fall out of status and work as a security ($8-$9 per hour tax included) in NY for many years before you can straighten your papers. Since the uncle is not staying here, don't forget that rent here starts from $700-800/mo for a secured shared room, unless you want an unsecured cell for $500/mo. One bedroom apartment starts from $1000/mo depending on location. Unlimited metro card is $30 for 6 days (they are going to increase it soon). And parking violation ticket (normal for someone who drives) starts from $45/offence. Then number of immigrants in the NY na baba! .... it goes on and on about NY.

I don't know if you've ever heard this saying in songs "if you can make it here (NY) you can make it anywhere" Check Alicia Keys or Wyclef Jean song. It means if you can survive the very competitive NY, then other parts of the U.S. na jokes for struggling.

Just take this as your trial time, it will soon pass. Sorry we couldn't meet in Dec when you were in NY. PM me, I will give you my number to talk more with you.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Mystiqme: 4:44pm On Jan 27, 2015
imperiouxx:

Mr impe, how are you sir? Long time. How are you coping with this blizzard?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jan 27, 2015
O to jo meta, sir. Thanks for your time when you were in Nigeria. Really apprciate. I might buzz you for more journals soon. Thanks... cheesy
Mystiqme:

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by imperiouxx(m): 4:59pm On Jan 27, 2015
Mystiqme:

Hello sir, yea it's been a long time. I'm trying. smiley I texted you during the holiday, I don't know if you got it.

Hopefully we will be coming to Stony Brook area soon or we welcome your visitation.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Mystiqme: 5:04pm On Jan 27, 2015
imperiouxx:

Hello sir, yea it's been a long time. I'm trying. smiley I texted you during the holiday, I don't know if you got it.

Hopefully we will be coming to Stony Brook area soon or we welcome your visitation.
Ohhh. I was in Nigeria for the hols. No problem I should return you guys visit. Maybe during spring break.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Mystiqme: 5:05pm On Jan 27, 2015
sirRiddy:
O to jo meta, sir. Thanks for your time when you were in Nigeria. Really apprciate. I might buzz you for more journals soon. Thanks... cheesy
No p bro. Abeg this Kain sir.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by imperiouxx(m): 5:17pm On Jan 27, 2015
Mystiqme:

Ohhh. I was in Nigeria for the hols. No problem I should return you guys visit. Maybe during spring break.

Oh, you told me you will be in Nigeria the last time we met. Hope you're enjoying home?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jan 27, 2015
grin
Mystiqme:

No p bro. Abeg this Kain sir.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by imperiouxx(m): 6:34pm On Jan 27, 2015
bigfrancis21:

A classmate of mine graduated this last fall semester with no job, after intensely job hunting and having a couple of interviews and calls. Guess what? He's currently looking to date someone so he can legalize his stay in the US. Don't make it sound like getting married to someone you like is a bad idea when more than 60% of the time, international students take that route. It's all left to you as an international student. You either choose to go to school now and fight for your papers later or get your papers now and go to school later. The only difference being that one route is easier for some people than the other.

It's true but from his situation and how everything is developing, I will advise that he finishes the studies, get his degree and then follow his uncle's suggestion or whatever route he likes. Living and working in NY with such status like his uncle suggested takes someone to be resilient.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 6:38pm On Jan 27, 2015
sirRiddy:
A n ti jare. Thanks brother.

God will help us big boss
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 6:45pm On Jan 27, 2015
imperiouxx:

Thanks Wale.

You welcome sir and lets give the thanks to God..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 6:46pm On Jan 27, 2015
profojah:

Let's give the thanks to God and Walspring Omiye cheesy cheesy

Lol... gringringrin

I sight you big boss....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Ctemi(f): 12:11am On Jan 28, 2015
mztubsy:
thanks a lot.I got ur mail.can we do this inbox.got som questions.
Have reply your mail
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by juntod: 12:28pm On Jan 28, 2015
Stewee:

Where the hell you been?

Yes boss!!! The struggle nor easy.. Hope u're good.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by imperiouxx(m): 2:24pm On Jan 28, 2015
I just have the opportunity to read through all the pages I left off.

Damn! Lot of versions here. undecided
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jan 28, 2015
imperiouxx:
I just have the opportunity to read through all the pages I left off.

Damn! Lot of versions here. undecided
am going to pm you now bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by imperiouxx(m): 2:33pm On Jan 28, 2015
sannywills:
GREETINGS BIG BRODA BIG FRANC,WALSPRING,IMPERIOUSXX AND OTHER BIG BRODAS I GREET YOU ALL.
I HAVE AN ISSUE,MY BRODA IS 40 YEARS OLD AND HE WANT TO GO FOR HIS MATERS IN U.S, WHAT ARE HIS CHANCES HE IS THE ONE SPONSORING HIMSELF AND HE IS MARRIED WITH AN ISSUE.I WANT TO KNOW HIS CHANCES OF GETTING A VISA.
PLEASE BRODAS NEED YOUR HELP ON THIS HE HAS ALREDY TAKING GRE AND TOEFL

At that age, questions are: What school, what course, when did you finish your undergrad, what have you been doing since then and what's the prove that you can sponsor him?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by imperiouxx(m): 2:36pm On Jan 28, 2015
ebdib:
I realize most people on this website think Gre and toefl are the only things that matter in graduate admissions. Especially to top or ivy league schools.

How wrong!!!

Granted you must score within 95+ percentile in both sections of the GRE.
But guess what? So will other candidates. If you're looking to use test scores as your edge when applying to Harvard or princeton then you're sorely mistaken. There will always be others who will score perfect in all three areas.

Your Gpa matters. If you're not first class, I don't think you should apply to Harvard or Princeton first of all. I mean you could try but you'd certainly have an uphill task and that means your gre and toefl must be perfect.

Research experience. How much TANGIBLE research work has he done in his field?
What about first paper publications and conference presentations?
Any internships?
Any honours?
Are the recommender professors who are grounded in the given field?

After all these then you have a grueling Skype interview with the admissions committee.

Then there's funding. Harvard, princeton, Yale are bleeping expensive. If you're not funded, it's almost 10M per year. That's not beans. To be funded by ivy league schools is even harder than the admission.

I'm not discouraging anyone from applying to ivy league schools. I attend one but I know what i went through. Please you have to know what you are and what you can offer.
Don't waste your application fee on harvard ($100-150) when you know you can't even crack 166-170 on the GRE verbal and quantitative or can't get 110+ in toefl or you don't have a close to perfect GPA.

Managing expectations is a wise thing

Cc @bignyash

This part is funny, 166-170 GRE score.... na wetin?? One of the major factors for admission to ivy league schools, which you omitted is citizenship, not even a strong GRE, honors or any publications. Going through different departments, their application pool and requirements are quite different from one another.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jan 28, 2015
imperiouxx:

This part is funny, 166-170 GRE score.... na wetin??
i sent you pm
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by imperiouxx(m): 3:26pm On Jan 28, 2015
nedum360:

Helo edib. Thanks for the insight into ivy league admission. I'm applying for MPH. My data is as follows: GRE: 313 (157V, 156Q), awa 3.5, Toefl 108, GPA 3.32. By the way I studied medicine. I applied to Harvard and some other ivy league with the Hope of getting funded. From your analysis, does it mean I ain't qualified for admission talkless of funding? I'm confused cos I've a friend that got admission much less scores.

You may have to forget the funding part. If your department got low number of application that year, your 313 in GRE may get your admission. Being an international student, it will be good for you to have most of what he listed because you're competing with many other good students.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jan 28, 2015
imperiouxx:

This part is funny, 166-170 GRE score.... na wetin?? One of the major factors for admission to ivy league schools, which you omitted is citizenship, not even a strong GRE, honors or any publications. Going through different departments, their application pool and requirements are quite different from one another.

I don't know where you get your info from but I'd like to say that many schools including harvard, don't make Admission decisions based on race, country, religion, creed, sex, blah blah blah. So...you are not making any sense sweetie.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jan 28, 2015
[quote author=imperiouxx post=30212566]

This part is funny, 166-170 GRE score.... na wetin?? One of the major factors for admission to ivy league schools, which you omitted is citizenship.

I don't know where you get your info from but I'd like to say that many schools including harvard, don't make Admission decisions based on race, country, religion, creed, sex, blah blah blah. So...you are not making any sense sweetie.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by imperiouxx(m): 3:49pm On Jan 28, 2015
bignyash:

What do you know? undecided And stop bumping into someone's opinion harshly like you just did. I'll give you the grace this time.

Harvard considers citizenship as part of admission and no U.S. graduate schools that don't do that. And if the course is competitive in the U.S., admission is 6:3:1 between American, resident and international in most cases.

Let's not drag this and always be nice when responding to me.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Bolade005: 4:04pm On Jan 28, 2015
Men I've been going through the GRE materials that I downloaded and i'm really not finding it easy atall, very complex something. Maybe I'd just write TOEFL only.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by biikeys(m): 4:16pm On Jan 28, 2015
[quote author=bignyash post=30213901][/quote]

It's basically tougher for international students to get into Harvard not just because of citizenship, but because a US citizen or someone who studied in the US typically has a better profile; based on research experience, letters of recommendation, connections to alumni etc. Those all play a huge role in admitting and funding prospective students, apart from just test scores.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Idazbawz(m): 5:34pm On Jan 28, 2015
slimmy05:
finally settled... wow... cool

Men, I pray I have time to come on here.

Wish you guys all the best..

This is not goodbye.
Hey man!
I've not been chanced to post here like I used to... I never knew you got your visa approved.
Congratulations and welcome to America. Which state are you?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Idazbawz(m): 5:42pm On Jan 28, 2015
pcbo:
Please can WAEC mail my results to the university am applying to,since they are asking for original and must be from WAEc to them and not from me
Yes, they can...
Be mindful and prayerful tho.. I once paid them to have my result sent here... I paid like 15k, arranged affidavit and passport photograph... This was around Dec 2012. Up till today, my school didn't receive the result...

I had to go back around February 2013, they were just talking bullshit... So I was forced to patronize the touts outside the WAEC office.. They arranged my confirmation of result in a sealed envelope and stamped it... Then I mailed it out myself with WAEC's address as the sender...
That's how I got my admission!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jan 28, 2015
Maybe I could help.What part exactly are you finding tough?
How long have you been prepping?
What resources have you been using?
Try to devote sometime, maybe three months and your score would improve with tenacious and focused prep.
Bolade005:
Men I've been going through the GRE materials that I downloaded and i'm really not finding it easy atall, very complex something. Maybe I'd just write TOEFL only.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jan 28, 2015
Slimmy is in Tennessee, Johnson City.
Idazbawz:
Hey man!
I've not been chanced to post here like I used to... I never knew you got your visa approved.
Congratulations and welcome to America. Which state are you?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) ... (502)

Lets Talk About Estonia / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 / German Embassy And Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.