Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,754 members, 7,827,783 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 - Travel (471) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (869927 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) ... (502) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 12:14pm On Apr 29, 2015
ttmacoy:
Congrats. I must say your transcript sounds like someone who is a real student and knows whe he is going for unlike some which just sound very scripted and rehearsed.

Notre Dame is a great school, good luck smiley

You're beginning to sound bitter. People have different reasons of being here you know? Ripleplus, did brilliantly well and sure knows what he wants. He is a very lucky dude to get into Notre Dame. It's not just about the profile, grace also comes with it. I have a friend with a 4.0 Masters (US) and also a 3.7/4.0 undergrad, 2 research papers, I can keep going, still didn't get in.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by zeezahbee(f): 12:51pm On Apr 29, 2015
DARKLIGHT:
Hi everyone! Where can one have some mmr shots, run hepatitis B and TB skin test in Lagos?
Is it your school that asked for it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by masquellett(m): 1:06pm On Apr 29, 2015
Hi everyone, pls I need a reliable info on how much it cost to write a GRE exam in Lagos, or a website link that I can register and sit for the exam! Pls its urgent... Thanx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 1:17pm On Apr 29, 2015
masquellett:
Hi everyone, pls I need a reliable info on how much it cost to write a GRE exam in Lagos, or a website link that I can register and sit for the exam! Pls its urgent... Thanx

Happy Birthday To You! $195 (Almost 40,000naira). Test registration is done on www.ets.org/gre using a visa card or PayPal. All the Best!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by masquellett(m): 1:22pm On Apr 29, 2015
Ripleus2:
I am back, as I said I would come back to Nairaland to give details after my interview (even though some notorious people here wanted to tear my head off just because I didn't mention the name of the school / program, as if say I wan chop am! Na wa for patience).

I got my visa this morning, thankfully. Here is my transcript as I remember it. The whole thing took like 3 to 4 minutes.

VO: Good morning, how are you today?
Me: I'm fine thank you. Good morning.
VO: May I see your passport, I-20 and SEVIS documents?
Me: (hands them over)
VO: Please place your right four fingers on the scanner...
Me: (does as requested)
VO: I see you're going for a PhD in Computational and Applied Mathematics. Why the University of Notre Dame?
Me: There are only a small handful of programs in the world with my current research interest i.e. in silico research in Computational Haemodynamics. Of the better programs, Notre Dame is one, and Stanford is another. Stanford is just beginning its own Computational Medicine program this Fall. I applied to Stanford as well but sadly I didn't get in. On the other hand, I got into Notre Dame with full funding and it has my exact research interests.
VO: Computational Haemodynamics?
Me: Yes, the study and computer simulation of the Mathematics and Physics / Motion of Fluid-Structure Interaction in Blood Flow. It has diverse applications in the treatment of cardiovascular ailments and in other heart monitoring therapies.
VO: (smiles) Wow, the Mathematics and Motion of Blood Flow? (typing fast on the computer, probably googling to see if I was bullshitting)
Me: Yes indeed, the Mathematics and Motion of Blood Flow.
VO: Okay, do you already have a Masters degree?
Me: No, I don't. I got admitted on merit into the University of Lagos for an MSc this January but just as I began registration, I also got the Notre Dame admission in February so I didn't bother resuming at UNILAG.
VO: I see. What was your undergraduate degree in?
Me: Electrical / Electronic Engineering. But I have been working as a programmer and self-studying postgraduate mathematics since I finished at the University, so I have the required background for computational and applied math.
VO: (smiles) How do you hope to fund your way through school?
Me: I received full funding from the department I applied to. It covers a tuition waiver, stipends and health insurance.
VO: (Flips through my passport) So you've never left Nigeria before?
Me: (smiles) No, I've never left Nigeria before.
VO: Congratulations, I'm glad to tell you that your visa application has been accepted. Please pick up your documents at this location (circles location on my documents). Have a nice day!
Me: Thank you. Have a nice day as well.

P.S.
I just took all sorts of documents to the place for nothing, she didn't even look at them. I was also worried about two things but she didn't even ask:
(a) Worried I'd be asked about strong ties to Nigeria, which I don't really have.
(b) Bothered I'd be asked how I will intend to apply my study when I come back to Nigeria (cos I didn't want to lie... well, it's possible sha)

I'm really grateful, especially after seeing her deny every single person that went to her own dock ahead of me. Last last sha, na God win.
Bro, are u on whatsapp or bbm, pls drop ur contact, pls I need some infor from u. Thanx.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 1:24pm On Apr 29, 2015
innovativeame:

Bro, I'm sorry for the booking fee you've lost. You are gonna get it the next attempt. Quickly, there was no coherence in your response to second to the last question. The VO asked the same question twice to be sure you know what you are saying, sometimes they ask the same question twice but differently. You should have still held on to your response but buttress more on why you enrolled in for the polytechnic . In addition, I guess saying your uncle told you about the school, wasn't too fantastic, however, you redeemed yourself by stating that you did your research online. At this point, relax, reschedule your appointment for June (suggestion though). By God's grace, you SHALL get. Also, remember that how you fill your DS-160 form matters greatly. All the best bro

@innovativeame @DeeTus @ worry257 thanks a lot for your opinions and observations, I stand corrected. please apart from the sevis fee of 31,200 that one pays at gtbank is there any payment that I'm to do as a person that is reapplying ? I'm thinking of going around June or preferably July what do you guys think? BTW I appreciate you all.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by masquellett(m): 1:25pm On Apr 29, 2015
deleyi20:

Happy Birthday To You! $195 (Almost 40,000naira). Test registration is done on www.ets.org/gre using a visa card or PayPal. All the Best!
Thanx brov!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by ttmacoy: 1:32pm On Apr 29, 2015
No I am not bitter.

Those friends you refer to i commend because they TRIED and didn't get in.

My point was to those who come on nairaland looking for schools that doesn't charge application fee, is cheap, doesn't not require toefl and gmat and yet feel entitled to give scholarship and funding. Those are the people I am referring to.

Yes he was lucky to get into notre Dame, but with that luck came the fact he aimed high and achieved and it took hard work. He would never have gotten in if his attitude was i don't want to do any exam or anything and just look for schools with easy entrance requirements.

slimmy05:
You're beginning to sound bitter. People have different reasons of being here you know? Ripleplus, did brilliantly well and sure knows what he wants. He is a very lucky dude to get into Notre Dame. It's not just about the profile, grace also comes with it. I have a friend with a 4.0 Masters (US) and also a 3.7/4.0 undergrad, 2 research papers, I can keep going, still didn't get in.

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 1:37pm On Apr 29, 2015
ttmacoy:
No I am not bitter.

My point was to those who come on nairaland looking for schools that doesn't charge application fee, is cheap, doesn't not require toefl and gmat and yet feel entitled to give scholarship and funding. Those are the people I am referring to.

Yes he was lucky to get into notre Dame, but with that luck came the fact he aimed high and achieved and it took hard work. He would never have gotten in if his attitude was i don't want to do any exam or anything and just look for schools with easy entrance requirements.

truth.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by ttmacoy: 1:39pm On Apr 29, 2015
Bro I don't criticised people for wanting to study abroad but there is a big difference between students who know what they are after and those who are just following the i must study abroad trend.

DeeTus:
cheesy cheesy

Yeah that's true. But don't criticize anyone who wants to study abroad. Plans differ. You only need to pray for them.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 2:09pm On Apr 29, 2015
icedbeatz:

@innovativeame @DeeTus @ worry257 thanks a lot for your opinions and observations, I stand corrected. please apart from the sevis fee of 31,200 that one pays at gtbank is there any payment that I'm to do as a person that is reapplying ? I'm thinking of going around June or preferably July what do you guys think? BTW I appreciate you all.
No. It's only visa fee. The US Embassy should be able to either refund visa fees or give a second chance when they deny visa applications.

Please you need to sit down and ponder where you went wrong first. The CO was not happy on the year you finished from the High School. To me, you have a lot of work to do. Send a private message to bigfrancis, Joenice, Nas and so on and be open, they'll help you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by innovativeame(m): 2:22pm On Apr 29, 2015
icedbeatz:

No sir! Just the application fee. I'll be praying for your success bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by innovativeame(m): 2:24pm On Apr 29, 2015
ttmacoy:
No I am not bitter.

This is one of the outstanding and matured comments in recent times. For the first time in forever, this is coming from ttmacoy. I will donate my sister to u.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 2:31pm On Apr 29, 2015
Bros, abeg I am mature too now. Extend one to me sef.
innovativeame:

This is one of the outstanding and matured comments in recent times. For the first time in forever, this is coming from ttmacoy. I will donate my sister to u.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 2:35pm On Apr 29, 2015
DeeTus:
No. It's only visa fee. The US Embassy should be able to either refund visa fees or give a second chance when they deny visa applications.

Please you need to sit down and ponder where you went wrong first. The CO was not happy on the year you finished from the High School. To me, you have a lot of work to do. Send a private message to bigfrancis, Joenice, Nas and so on and be open, they'll help you.

I'm doing that and also will be working on myself while I plan to reapply, once again thanks to you all. ttmacoy :-) thanks for your contribution too, guess you like spilling it as raw as you could bro. you all remain blessed.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by kennyrony(m): 2:35pm On Apr 29, 2015
icedbeatz:

Bro SEVIS fee is not 31,200. That should be the Visa fee

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by innovativeame(m): 2:54pm On Apr 29, 2015
sirRiddy:
Bros, abeg I am mature too now. Extend one to me sef.
SirRiddy! You really don't need to ask for any, have u seen Dangote begging for money before? Even a blind man knows and can see your "brilliance". I doff my hat for you Ridicious Riddy! When are u coming to Illagos? I'm still expectant
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 3:15pm On Apr 29, 2015
Lol...
Na tommorrow my bro, na nysc just dey me strong thing now. Been waiting to know which state I was deployed to since Monday.
Not funny at all.
innovativeame:

SirRiddy! You really don't need to ask for any, have u seen Dangote begging for money before? Even a blind man knows and can see your "brilliance". I doff my hat for you Ridicious Riddy! When are u coming to Illagos? I'm still expectant
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by innovativeame(m): 3:24pm On Apr 29, 2015
sirRiddy:
Lol...
Na tommorrow my bro, na nysc just dey me strong thing now. Been waiting to know which state I was deployed to since Monday.
Not funny at all.
Pele bro, I empathise with u. Buzz me when you are around . Cheers!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by ttmacoy: 4:00pm On Apr 29, 2015
Hahaha my wife must not see this post lol. I defer to sirRiddy who i trust will look after your sister very well smiley

innovativeame:

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by ridimic1: 4:12pm On Apr 29, 2015
Ripleus2:
I am back, as I said I would come back to Nairaland to give details after my interview (even though some notorious people here wanted to tear my head off just because I didn't mention the name of the school / program, as if say I wan chop am! Na wa for patience).

I got my visa this morning, thankfully. Here is my transcript as I remember it. The whole thing took like 3 to 4 minutes.

VO: I see you're going for a PhD in Computational and Applied Mathematics. Why the University of Notre Dame?
Me: There are only a small handful of programs in the world with my current research interest i.e. in silico research in Computational Haemodynamics. Of the better programs, Notre Dame is one, and Stanford is another. Stanford is just beginning its own Computational Medicine program this Fall. I applied to Stanford as well but sadly I didn't get in. On the other hand, I got into Notre Dame with full funding and it has my exact research interests.
Me: Yes, the study and computer simulation of the Mathematics and Physics / Motion of Fluid-Structure Interaction in Blood Flow. It has diverse applications in the treatment of cardiovascular ailments and in other heart monitoring therapies.
VO: (smiles) Wow, the Mathematics and Motion of Blood Flow? (typing fast on the computer, probably googling to see if I was bullshitting)
Me: No, I don't. I got admitted on merit into the University of Lagos for an MSc this January but just as I began registration, I also got the Notre Dame admission in February so I didn't bother resuming at UNILAG.
Me: Electrical / Electronic Engineering. But I have been working as a programmer and self-studying postgraduate mathematics since I finished at the University, so I have the required background for computational and applied math.
Me: I received full funding from the department I applied to. It covers a tuition waiver, stipends and health insurance.
VO: Congratulations, I'm glad to tell you that your visa application has been accepted. Please pick up your documents at this location (circles location on my documents). Have a nice day!

P.S.
I just took all sorts of documents to the place for nothing, she didn't even look at them. I was also worried about two things but she didn't even ask:
(a) Worried I'd be asked about strong ties to Nigeria, which I don't really have.
(b) Bothered I'd be asked how I will intend to apply my study when I come back to Nigeria (cos I didn't want to lie... well, it's possible sha)

I'm really grateful, especially after seeing her deny every single person that went to her own dock ahead of me. Last last sha, na God win.

Congratulations sire
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by aanowai(m): 4:18pm On Apr 29, 2015
slimmy05:

@slimmy05,, i'd like to send u a personal message.. Is it possible, I send u an email? Let me know. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 4:19pm On Apr 29, 2015
aanowai:

@slimmy05,, i'd like to send u a personal message.. Is it possible, I send u an email? Let me know. Thanks.
send me a pm.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by aanowai(m): 5:02pm On Apr 29, 2015
slimmy05:
send me a pm.

I just sent u a pm. Did u get it? Let me know, if u received it or if I should resend it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Futurewiser: 6:30pm On Apr 29, 2015
PLEASE who knows any University in U.S that can give me master admission in IT or computer science without asking for any external exams like GRE or asking for evaluation of transcripts?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 6:37pm On Apr 29, 2015
Futurewiser:
PLEASE who knows any University in U.S that can give me master admission in IT or computer science without asking for any external exams like GRE or asking for evaluation of transcripts?

shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by worry357: 6:47pm On Apr 29, 2015
Futurewiser:
Again someone talking of school on USA but no exams or transcrips.
Are transcripts fake that will not stand evaluation?
Are the marks so low?
No gre, why is the standard to difficult? how will poster go through school work if these things are too hard.
Or is this just a backdoor into Obamaland to go illegal?

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by tosynbolade(m): 6:47pm On Apr 29, 2015
Futurewiser:

My eyes wan commot from the socket...maybe u should try VIU laffing with my tongue out
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by aanowai(m): 6:56pm On Apr 29, 2015
slimmy05:
send me a pm.

@slimmy05... You've got mail. Please check ur email. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by warriboy21(m): 7:52pm On Apr 29, 2015
Futurewiser:

Bro try Valparaiso university.. A reputable sch. DE accept scanned unofficial transcript but if given admission u must ask Ur school to send d original to dem. No gre. Though u must do it to get funding n for embassy sake.

Applications fee is also waived n payable upon arrival. Though d fees is high sha. Arround 22kdols .

I am going for masters in information technology n just
got accepted.I also did gre so try n do 1 standardized test.
Wish u gud luck

Pls odas hiding schools with less stressful application should speak up.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by warriboy21(m): 8:03pm On Apr 29, 2015
Please let's try to encourage people seeking schools with less stressful applications by giving Dem name of such schools if we do have n also by encouraging Dem to take standardized tests.

No b by stressful application school's Dem take de make am for Yankee..
Grace n favour speaks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 8:19pm On Apr 29, 2015
Ripleus2:

P.S.

Congrats...slimmy..did u see that?

(1) (2) (3) ... (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) ... (502)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 / Lets Talk About Estonia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.