Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,637 members, 7,958,934 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 07:39 AM

Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? (14646 Views)

Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? / Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? / Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by Funniez: 10:45am On Sep 01, 2014
Una no get work. Actors/Actresses are busy chopping dia money nd u are here insulting urselves. If u feel they are nt doing gud enof, then go into film acting, become a director, use learners nd unpopular actors in ur film, produce it nd wen no one patronises it,maybe u wuld come to undastand then.
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by ruffplay: 11:39am On Sep 01, 2014
SCRAB INDUSTRY
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by Perfecter4real(m): 11:48am On Sep 01, 2014
Yes ofcos silly question.
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by Orikinla(m): 12:43pm On Sep 01, 2014
The OP is annoyingly ignorant of the current developments in Nollywood and the Nigerian film industry, because the OP does not read.

In every article and feature I have posted and commented on either in the print or electronic news media, I have shared well researched facts on Nollywood, Kannywood and other genres and well published in my Nollywood Mirror Series and on my Nollywood Digital website. And others have also shared latest reports by leading news channels in the world such as The Economist, TIME, BBC, The New York Times and others on how Nollywood has boosted the Nigerian economy as confirmed by the World Bank.

Please, do yourself a good favour by reading and researching before coming online to post poorly composed opinions like an intellectually-retarded person.

Nollywood boosted the rebased Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of Nigeria to make the country Africa’s largest economy under “Motion pictures, sound recording and music production,” with a huge increase of N9 trillion in size. Analysts stated Nollywood made about N1.72 trillion in 2013.

Robert Orya, Managing Director, Nigerian Export-Import Bank (NEXIM), said last year, Nollywood ranked third globally in revenue. According to him, the revenue the film industry has generated in the last three years was between $300 million and $800 million. “The global film and entertainment industry generated about $90.6 billion revenue in 2010,” Orya explained, saying “the revenue increased to $102.7 billion in 2012. Most of these revenue streams are from theatrical distribution. North America contributed the largest market share of about 40 percent. Europe, Middle East and Africa accounted for 24 percent, Latin America 20 percent, and Asia Pacific made only 3 percent contribution.” ~http://businessdayonline.com/2014/04/nollywood-springs-surprise-in-gdp-rebasing-leaps-to-n9trn/#.U9DJtkBx-wc

See the Teaser of one of the best Nigerian filmmakers, Kunle Afolayan's October 1 on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZ3fg208QQ

Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by davidif: 12:57pm On Sep 01, 2014
@ OP

Excellent topic. I came across an article online about this. Here it is.

What is it that makes one film school superior to another? The process of creating a film, regardless of whether it is art, cinema, documentary or an event, or regardless of where it is filmed – Wyoming, Wisconsin, West Virginia – requires knowledge in a variety of areas. Camera operators must understand the theory behind film, the technology necessary to capture events on film and the knowledge to produce a meaningful series of images which convey the intended meaning behind the film. A good film school will teach students the skills and knowledge necessary to perform the functions required to accomplish this. An excellent film school will produce graduates who have developed an inherent understanding of what must be done, the creativity to produce unique projects and the ability to successfully implement their ideas. Developing a curriculum which matures each student’s natural abilities and cultivates an advanced understanding of what makes great film is essential to significant success in the commercial or private film industry.

Camera operators will need to understand the foundational premises of a number of subject matters. Attaining an understanding of the areas of journalism, communications, marketing, graphic design, computers and photography are all valuable. Each field provides knowledge essential to the production of meaningful films. Students may need to develop a more in depth understanding of certain areas based on the type of film in which they intend to work. Certain schools may provide a general overview of the field but may concentrate more in one area than another. Schools which offer strong degree programs in film will provide sufficient training in each area to ensure graduates are equipped with a comprehensive understanding of the entire industry, not just small segments which barely cover the vital areas. By encompassing all of the subjects relevant to the film industry as a whole, students will be given the opportunity to explore the various areas of focus and make an informed decision as to where their strengths lie and which specialty is most relevant to their abilities.

With the high level of competition expected for individuals vying for positions in the film industry, choosing the right school will be important. Graduates entering the film industry will need to rely substantially on the reputation of the school where the degree is earned to provide an advantage over other applicants applying for the same position. A limited number of entry level positions are expected to be available over the next several years. Competition for the available positions will be fierce. With limited practical experience, the quality of the education received by a candidate will be the factor employers will consider most when making a decision. Selecting a school ranked among the top in the nation will provide the advantage needed.

http://www.thebestcolleges.org/the-10-best-film-schools-in-the-united-states/
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by davidif: 12:59pm On Sep 01, 2014
Here is another link to the top 25 film school in the US.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/top-25-film-schools-united-721649
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by richeso: 1:15pm On Sep 01, 2014
Some people self nawaoooo.....
All movie industries have crappy movies. Us,india,ghana etc... Nigerian is no exception
Before when you watch horror movies or war films or court files like Boston Legal way back 2007 u will enjoy
Watching film but now 2014 many films are crap in all I mean all industries not only 9ja
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by themmydhayhor(m): 1:26pm On Sep 01, 2014
Can stop grin
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by priscaoge(f): 1:50pm On Sep 01, 2014
I saw a movie poster @St. Michaels titled 'EBOLA'undecided Na wa oooo
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by Djicemob: 2:06pm On Sep 01, 2014
priscaoge: I saw a movie poster @St. Michaels titled 'EBOLA'undecided Na wa oooo
Dear i saw a movie poster titled "diaris god o" and am like "wTF"?
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by londoner: 2:09pm On Sep 01, 2014
Anyon who has not watched recent movies coming out of Nigeria and especially through the new school of producers and directors, is likely to be outdated in his/her impressions.

Emem Isong, Desmond Elliot, Uche Jumbo and co are collaborating in producing/directing fantastic films.......I am sooooo impressed with the leaps and bounds made by Nollywood and also one or two GH producers/directors.

These movies are nowhere to be found on the net or pirate CD in most cases. The best way, I found was to sign up to Irokotv and re-introduce yourself to Nollywood. You wont be disappointed, I wasn't.

Nollywood is definitely a worthy industry.
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by Djicemob: 2:09pm On Sep 01, 2014
Funniez: Una no get work. Actors/Actresses are busy chopping dia money nd u are here insulting urselves. If u feel they are nt doing gud enof, then go into film acting, become a director, use learners nd unpopular actors in ur film, produce it nd wen no one patronises it,maybe u wuld come to undastand then.
In essence wat u r saying is...these people make these crap to be patronized? Or tasking the movie industry to make better movie is a crime?
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by otunbakolawole(m): 2:10pm On Sep 01, 2014
Must u insult him. You made valid points but the insult is unnecessary.

Ignatio:

You're mediocrity itself. Start checking yourself first.

So you buy Guardians of the Galaxy N200 and for your mind you think say na original copy you buy? Either you don't understand the term piracy or you're just too ignorant to know.

You need to learn dude.

So going to cinema to watch a good movie doesn't make sense?

You're not just poor in the pocket But poor in the mind.
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by karpentar: 2:13pm On Sep 01, 2014
I prefer those Kenyan movies shown on DSTV channel 153. They are more captivating with better pictures and sound qualities.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by Djicemob: 2:15pm On Sep 01, 2014
londoner: Anyon who has not watched recent movies coming out of Nigeria and especially through the new school of producers and dictors, is likely to be outdated in his/her impressions.

Emem Isong, Desmond Elliot, Uche Jumbo and co are collaborating in producing/directing fantastic films.......I am sooooo impressed with the leaps and bounds made by Nollywood and also one or two GH producers/directors.

These movies are nowhere to be found on the net or pirate CD in most cases. The best way is to sign up to Irokotv and
re-introduce yourself to Nollywood. You wont be disappointed, I wasn't.

Nollywood is definitely a worthy industry.

What if i'm not rich enough to buy data? Good Movies needs to reach or affect all corners of the populace before its considered good. What is good movie when they get to be seen by only the rich?
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by Djicemob: 2:18pm On Sep 01, 2014
otunbakolawole: Must u insult him. You made valid points but the insult is unnecessary.

I tire o broda.And these are supposedly graduates or undergraduates.
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by Djicemob: 2:25pm On Sep 01, 2014
@orikinla. How many of these so called good movies do u see in video stores.I mostly stream these good movies from the internet which cost me a lot.It now seems the good movies are reserved for the rich while crappy movies are dumped on the poor? That is not the NW of my dream.Thanks.
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by londoner: 3:34pm On Sep 01, 2014
Murder at Prime Suites is a good movie....

http://www.catch-uk.org/content/site/attachment.ashx?attachmentID=197

The meting, produced by Rita Dominic looks good, and funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6OBH0Bwh4I

Dumebi in school is funny....the hilarious acting skills of Mercy Johnson.......I laughed so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf3Y7CbbFgY&feature=related

Mrs Somebody....Uche Jombo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNeglTuEZIA

Mr and Mrs.....Joseph Benjamin and Nse Ekpe Etim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InCL1JpWOLg
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by dabossman(m): 3:49pm On Sep 01, 2014
Djicemob: What if i'm not rich enough to buy data? Good Movies needs to reach all affect or reach all corners of the populace before its considered good. What is good movie when they get to be seen by only the rich?

No disrespect, but this your cheap mentality is so warped. When a new movie is released in Hollywood, do you think they just start selling it on the streets for $1? People go to the cinemas to watch for between $7-$15 depending on the cinema and how many weeks it has been released. Then it is released on other mediums like DVD, Blu-ray, online platforms, Netflixs, Hulu etc and all of them cost money. That is why they can spend millions of dollars on a movie and make as much as 3 times their investment, if not more.

You want a Nigerian producer to invest like N50-150 million on a very good movie so you can then buy for N200 at Oshodi under bridge right?

And sorry a movie is not considered good just because the whole populace has seen it. It is good based on its content. Go to the cinemas, buy a ticket for between 1K-1.5K and stop looking for cheap movies.

Or is the quality of okrika bend-down-select the same as designer clothes bought from an upscale fashion shop.

You like beta thing but you no wan spend money.

4 Likes

Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by RebelLeader15(m): 3:51pm On Sep 01, 2014
Sammyblaq: thanks op for a good points out...and to djicemob for a well packaged backup dia.
I stopped watching NW cos of the above mentioned points...i no dey learn beta tyn from their movies.
For more copies:
go to 51 Iweka road onitsha or 1/2 pound road aba. Grab ur copy now!
51 iweka raod Onitsha and 1/2 Pound road Aba is for IGBOwood

In the YORUBAwood you will hear something like zentury Pictures Kayode street Onipanu( owner of aluminium), Edidi lane Idumota Lagos or Alaba International market Ojo Alaba Lagos....

When you can't get your copy der, Hold your machete and gun, match straight to National Theatre
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by dabossman(m): 4:02pm On Sep 01, 2014
Djicemob: @orikinla. How many of these so called good movies do u see in video stores.I mostly stream these good movies from the internet which cost me a lot.It now seems the good movies are reserved for the rich while crappy movies are dumped on the poor? That is not the NW of my dream.Thanks.

A movie ticket at Silverbird is between N1,000 and N1,500 depending on the day and time. That is not something I will say is exclusively for the rich. Some of those you are classifying as poor, spend just about that buying or renting those crappy movies from their neighbourhood video stores. They enjoy such movies are most likely not interested in movies with complicated plots. They enjoy their Baba Suwe, Baba Latin, Aki and Pawpaw, Mr. Ibu and co very much. If you are not in that category, then you pay for the class of movies you want.

Good movies cost money. it's a business, not a past -time.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by Edusouls(m): 4:16pm On Sep 01, 2014
Shut up liar, 6billiön dollars, who dash monkey bananna, nollywood is a drama based industry, not movie, it is the worst movie industry in the world..it just worth about 12million naira or less..
mistermahn: with a yearly revenue of over $6 billion hell yes its a worthy bussines. we might have to tune some stuff to make it a bigger bussines. i see potential in nollywood if you dont you might as well shut up. From a very patriotic Nigerian
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by ScorchedViper(m): 4:38pm On Sep 01, 2014
I dont understand why every single nollywood movie has to be drama/romance. Broaden out a little bit now....
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by Edusouls(m): 4:39pm On Sep 01, 2014
Nollywood industry is the greatest disgrace in the movie world, it has detioriated to nothing, this nollywood industry were totally ruined by the igbo's, due to our karacter of fast money, tribal politics, i ma mmadu, recruiting of non talented and artificial actor's like mr ibu, aki and paw paw, we cant sit down to painstakingly plan and organize scripts well, bring creative directors, natural actors, the haste to make more money makes them to churn out 100 sorry quality movies in a week, flooding and killing the industry with eye blinding, and nauseating movies. Poor acting, shit stories, nonsense effects, foolish looking actors. An industry infested with careless lifestyle, rapid divorce, end time women and vry nasty, loose and mannerless single ladies so spoilt that they smell all over the country, i advice u, instead of watching nigerian movie at ur spare time please listen to music, play games or read novels to avoid vomiting..
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by PreciousGem(f): 4:51pm On Sep 01, 2014
...and they are not cooperative imagine kannywood, nupewood, ghanawood, nollywood
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by dabossman(m): 4:54pm On Sep 01, 2014
Edusouls: Shut up liar, 6billiön dollars, who dash monkey bananna, nollywood is a drama based industry, not movie, it is the worst movie industry in the world..it just worth about 12million naira or less..

CURE YOUR IGNORANCE BRUV

After rebasing, Nigeria’s economy is billed to be the largest in Africa at approximately $405. This new rebasing process will capture the huge and rising activities in Nollywood, Nigeria’s film making industry.

Economists at Renaissance Capital (RenCap), an investment bank, contend that Nollywood, the third largest film making industry in the world after Bollywood and Hollywood, employs more Nigerians than the government

As at 2006 Nollywood was generating an estimated $250 million annually providing employment (often informal and part-time) “for 200,000 people as producers, actors, distributors and promoters, with a further 800,000 in make-up, props, sets, and printing”.

Quality is improving; revenues leaped to N7.2 trillion in 2013. The enhanced production and content quality of Nigerian films indicate the growing professionalism in Nollywood (the Nigerian movie sector) with the industry making an average of N1.72 trillion in 2013 analysts say.

In the last five years, the industry has been growing in terms of quality. Little wonder it has been rated the third most valuable movie industry in the world, behind Hollywood and Bollywood. The development has also impacted on returns.

Nollywood ranks third, globally in revenue. According to him, the revenue the film industry has generated in the last three years is between $300 million and $800 million.

Analysts estimate that the global film and entertainment industry generated about $90.6 billion revenue in 2010. This increased to $102.7 billion in 2012. Most of these revenue streams are from theatrical distribution. North America contributed the largest market share of about 40 percent. Europe, Middle East and Africa accounted for 24 percent, Latin America 20 percent, and Asia Pacific made only 3 percent contribution.

In recent years professionalism has improved remarkably in the industry which explains the improvement in the quality of films produced lately. It is expected that the quality of films will improve further. The year 2013 witnessed the birth of the most expensive film in Nollywood, “Half of a Yellow Sun,” which cost about N1.27 billion ($8m) to make. The movie, an adaptation of Chimanmanda Ngozi Adichie’s novel, “Half of a Yellow Sun,” was shot at Tinapa Film Studio, Cross River State, and in the United Kingdom.

Before ‘Half of a Yellow Sun,’ ‘Tango with Me’ produced by Mahmoud Ali-Balogun, ranked the most expensive film. Shot with the latest Kodak 35mm camera, ‘

In a report, the United Nations Educational, Science and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) stated that the Nigerian film industry produces more than 2,400 films per year. This figure places Nollywood ahead of the United State’s Hollywood and behind India’s Bollywood. However, a CNN 2013 report shows that Nollywood is worth US$250 million producing 200 home videos monthly.

The commercial viability of the film industry prompted President Goodluck Jonathan to make available an additional sum of N3billion as grant to the film industry. The grant is to be supervised by the Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo -Iweala and Minister of culture, tourism and national orientation, Edem Duke. The grant tagged “Project Nollywood” was commissioned in the first week of April. In addition, the Akwa-Ibom state governor, Godswill Akpabio donated the sum of 50 million naira to the industry as the President’s award for creativity.

However, industry practitioners say the prospect for Nollywood is huge in 2014 if government can adequately curb piracy that has been plaguing it for more than twenty years.

Nollywood films are becoming quite popular across Africa as they are watched on flights and bus trips. Investor confidence in Nigeria’ s entertainment industry is is equally growing: last December iROKOtv, a leading video-on-demand platform of African content, most notably Nollywood movies, raised $8m from US-based investors: Tiger Global and Rise Capital, and Kinnevik, a Sweden-based investor. This brings total capital raised by iROKOtv to $21m, making the internet company one of Africa’s most funded.

We believe that the era of perceiving Nigeria’s film making industry as peripheral is gone for good. The industry should get the attention it requires and must be nurtured properly to grow and contribute appropriately to Nigeria’s economy and society.

http://businessdayonline.com/2014/01/nollywood-rising/#.VAST7cVdVPw

1 Like

Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by londoner: 4:58pm On Sep 01, 2014
Djicemob: What if i'm not rich enough to buy data? Good Movies needs to reach all affect or reach all corners of the populace before its considered good. What is good movie when they get to be seen by only the rich?

Iroko tv is good. I don't go to the cinema to watch Nollywood movies. I paid a subscription of 30 pounds for 12 months, they have options for much less. It also came with a 14 day free trial, which you can cancel before you are due to pay.

At the end of the day, movies are not free anywhere in the world, whether they are on tv or disc, money is associated at some point. How may I ask, do you expect directors, producers, actors and actresses and all the support staff to earn a living and make back their investment, if the films are free?

People who can afford phone credit can afford one of the options out there to watch a movie.

It is because people have no respect for the hard work of an artist, that they feel their work should be free. Do you do your work for free, or at a reduced rate?

I totally disagree that a movie must reach all corners before it can be termed good.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by Djicemob: 5:06pm On Sep 01, 2014
dabossman:

A movie ticket at Silverbird is between N1,000 and N1,500 depending on the day and time. That is not something I will say is exclusively for the rich. Some of those you are classifying as poor, spend just about that buying or renting those crappy movies from their neighbourhood video stores. They enjoy such movies are most likely not interested in movies with complicated plots. They enjoy their Baba Suwe, Baba Latin, Aki and Pawpaw, Mr. Ibu and co very much. If you are not in that category, then you pay for the class of movies you want.

Good movies cost money. it's a business, not a past -time.
Who rents a NW movie for #1000? Those crappy movies don't exceed #100 to rent.

If good movies cost money and is business,why are these movies so far fetched and almost impossible to get in the neighborhood? Recent or old?
Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by dabossman(m): 5:12pm On Sep 01, 2014
Edusouls: Nollywood industry is the greatest disgrace in the movie world, it has detioriated to nothing, this nollywood industry were totally ruined by the igbo's, due to our karacter of fast money, tribal politics, i ma mmadu, recruiting of non talented and artificial actor's like mr ibu, aki and paw paw, we cant sit down to painstakingly plan and organize scripts well, bring creative directors, natural actors, the haste to make more money makes them to churn out 100 sorry quality movies in a week, flooding and killing the industry with eye blinding, and nauseating movies. Poor acting, shit stories, nonsense effects, foolish looking actors. An industry infested with careless lifestyle, rapid divorce, end time women and vry nasty, loose and mannerless single ladies so spoilt that they smell all over the country, i advice u, instead of watching nigerian movie at ur spare time please listen to music, play games or read novels to avoid vomiting..

And this is lacking in Hollywood? Ah, I understand you own beef. You're a puritan. Not surprising you didn't even mention American movies in your list of things to do in our spare time.

Have you ever heard of Hollywood B-movies before? Have you seen some of those horrible American movies they show on Universal Channel? Have you ever heard of made-for-TV movies?

1 Like

Re: Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? by londoner: 5:34pm On Sep 01, 2014
dabossman:

And this is lacking in Hollywood? Ah, I understand you own beef. You're a puritan. Not surprising you didn't even mention American movies in your list of things to do in our spare time.

Have you ever heard of Hollywood B-movies before? Have you seen some of those horrible American movies they show on Universal Channel? Have you ever heard of made-for-TV movies?

Lol, as if all of those things are not known to happen even in the church.

At least movies, be they Nollywood or Hollywood deal with the realities of life (even if not so well sometimes).

Talking about divorce and "looseness" even while some (non-end timers) are just announcing divorces due to affairs.......talk about heads in sand....lol

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Project Fame West Africa Season 2 / Nigerian Nollywood Movies Download Free From Youtube / AIT Returns After Court Nullifies NBC’s Suspension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.